Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference (20702 Views)

Buhari Should Organise A Sovereign National Conference Now / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by emmatok(m): 1:40am On Jan 18, 2012
Olodostein:

Sound and pragmatic. The bolded is what we wanted to hear. Naira is headed for high uncertainty( Hyper inflation) and we may end up having 1billion naira note grin, just like the Zimbabweans.

Gold is a good investment. The Jews have always succeeded in moving their wealth around in that form.

I have come to have confidence in your economic analysis. Are you an economist by training? Which economic school of thought do you adhere to? Who is your favorite 20th century and 21 century economists?

Sorry for all the questions cheesy. If you can start analyzing ways in which we can transfer back our wealth into developing the South East into an economic hub. Start thinking bro cool. I happen to find myself most times amongst a lot of businessmen of igbo extraction from Sabon Gari market in Kano to Trade fair in Lagos. And they are beginning to see CONCRETE reasons in relocating back home. They would need all the necessary information they can get.

Even if Nigeria survives beyond 2015. We are tired of the humiliation and lack of appreciation from parasites. We need to take our destiny fully into our own hands.  

Why is it that there is no real tangible manufacturing by black Africans in the whole of Africa? The South East can set the way, just like we are beginning to do. But we need more information from our esteemed Economists home and abroad.

Thank you for the insightful analysis cool.

So, my South Eastern brothers on Nairaland, convert that very uncertain Naira into save havens ooo. Don't you see as it is depreciating day by day? Investors keep loosing confidence because the future of Naija is at stake. Since Aboki's and Yoruba's no want make GEJ make this country better. They are ready to go extra miles and have shown how desperate they can be.  

Our independent minded and foremost Economist Manny4life has spoken. Forewarned is to be forearmed.

Parasites, stay in your villages.

Where you forced to come to Lagos.

Lagos exist as a business hub in  West-Africa before Nigeria independent.

You Igbos are just opportunistic you leave you forbidden land for other peep land and you still insult them.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 1:41am On Jan 18, 2012
emmatok:

The-same Port you have been building for years. grin grin grin grin[b][/b]

The completion schedule for that port was fastracked late last year.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 1:51am On Jan 18, 2012
@Olodostein,

Actually, I'm no economist by training but trust me, I've done extensive economics, however, I try not to associate my personal, educational and experience record with Nairaland.

Sorry for all the questions. If you can start analyzing ways in which we can transfer back our wealth into developing the South East into an economic hub. Start thinking bro Cool. I happen to find myself most times amongst a lot of businessmen of igbo extraction from Sabon Gari market in Kano to Trade fair in Lagos. And they are beginning to see CONCRETE reasons in relocating back home. They would need all the necessary information they can get.

I have once stated this before on few threads; development of an economic hub must come with vision, and through vision and passion, comes finance and money, and through money comes development, which increases consumption and later recycled back again. The ball starts with the leaders (not necessarily the govt) but visionary leader, it could be corporate, education, healthcare, whatever.

I once suggested that the SE can form what is called a "business consortium", this consortium will be responsible for a particular key development, for instance transportation. This consortium will set up what I thought should be called the South East Development Corporation. This Corp will have access to large pool of money both home and abroad, and I mean in hundreds of millions of $$$. This Corp oversee major infrastructural investment such as Medium or High Speed Rail Networks, Manufacturing Villages (out-of the box style model), port to airports to whatever it is that connect SE for the greater good.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by emal22: 1:55am On Jan 18, 2012
Where was Asari when the wife of late Yaradua was punishing Jonathan?
Was it not the save nigeria groupe and the Lagos axis that came out?  Although there is some sense there, but he is working for his millions.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by noiseless: 1:58am On Jan 18, 2012
Well done and keep it up alhj asari dokubo i hope you are making proper contact with uwazurike to discuss and share ideas,For self defence just in case.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by ak47mann(m): 2:00am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

@Olodostein,

Actually, I'm no economist by training but trust me, I've done extensive economics, however, I try not to associate my personal, educational and experience record with Nairaland.

Sorry for all the questions. If you can start analyzing ways in which we can transfer back our wealth into developing the South East into an economic hub. Start thinking bro Cool. I happen to find myself most times amongst a lot of businessmen of igbo extraction from Sabon Gari market in Kano to Trade fair in Lagos. And they are beginning to see CONCRETE reasons in relocating back home. They would need all the necessary information they can get.

I have once stated this before on few threads; development of an economic hub must come with vision, and through vision and passion, comes finance and money, and through money comes development, which increases consumption and later recycled back again. The ball starts with the leaders (not necessarily the govt) but visionary leader, it could be corporate, education, healthcare, whatever.

I once suggested that the SE can form what is called a "business consortium", this consortium will be responsible for a particular key development, for instance transportation. This consortium will set up what I thought should be called the South East Development Corporation. This Corp will have access to large pool of money both home and abroad, and I mean in hundreds of millions of $$$. This Corp oversee major infrastructural investment such as Medium or High Speed Rail Networks, Manufacturing Villages (out-of the box style model), port to airports to whatever it is that connect SE for the greater good.
this is it,nothing more,
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by HighChief4(m): 2:14am On Jan 18, 2012
OMG am so loving this "Occupy your Resources",   So Yoruba should go and occupy their caves grin grin ;.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 2:28am On Jan 18, 2012
dayokanu:

Still waiting for official figures from manny4life to compute Nigeria population

LOL, dude, I just told you to ask your brother ekt_bear, a recent Bloomberg and Reuters article confirmed that Lagos population has surpassed 14million based upon the last 2010 census, he's the one who CONFIRMED IT even when I rejected the figures till I saw it. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oh btw, whatever is on the NPC site is 5 years outdated. click on some of the states, they will tell you they are based on a 2006 census data, and guess what, I exported it to Excel, it said population was about 140million. Like seriously due, do you honestly believe we're still at 140million? 
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by dayokanu(m): 2:41am On Jan 18, 2012
^^ Abeg which census was held in 2010?
So we are to believe Lagos grew from 9m in 2006 to 14m in 2010. 1 million growth every year?

Pls which city grows at that rate in the whole world?

Lagos State in 1991 was 5million and increased to 9m in 2006, 15years later but now we are to believe that it did 5million increase in 5yrs?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 2:50am On Jan 18, 2012
see*noevil
Na wa Oh!!! I think the call for resource control must be heard this year and SNC must be held this 2012 . Can you imagine unproductive states such as Oyo , Ogun , Ondo , Borno , Adamawa , Kano and Nassarawa  having MORE GDP than Oil rich areas such as Bayelsa , Abia , Akwa ibom , Imo . Hmmm wonders shall never end in this country . Asari abeg carry on . Fire burn all of them wen no want make we occupy our natural resources by ourselves.

No offense but how old are you? An educated adult wouldn't be making such id!otic statements. for your information oil only account for 14% of nigeria's GDP, while agriculture accounts for more than 26% of nigeria's gdp and other sectors account for the remaining percentage. Nigeria is not a Banana republic, our economy does not rely on oil. So i scratch my head every time i see comments like these. No one depends on the Niger delta, there are other economic activities in the country other than oil that can be tax.

Secondly, This is for all those who constantly group themselves with oil producing state, get over it. If Nigeria was to split I can assure you that either two countries will emerge, a north or a south, or 250 new nations will emerge, those are the only options. Why are you guys complaining that the British just group us together without a care in the world yet you do the exact same thing by drawing ludicrous maps and making absurd statement by grouping ethnicity that don't want to be with you. Seriously, I think some people on here need to grow up and act their age for once, disgusting.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by SisiKill1: 2:51am On Jan 18, 2012
[I]Ducks behind large gorodom of Petrol, waving white flag[/I]

Errr. . .excuse me sirs, I am really sorry for jumping into your battle field but risking losing a limb is the only I can reach, DAYOKANU

@ DAYOKANU
I wanna talk to you about something, would really, really, truly appreciate it if you could get in touch with me. Nagode.

Aiight guys, carry on with ya battle. Godspeed, Semper fi . . May the best man win.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by aljharem(m): 2:55am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

see*noevil
No offense but how old are you? An educated adult wouldn't be making such id!otic statements. for your information oil only account for 14% of nigeria's GDP, while agriculture accounts for more than 26% of nigeria's gdp and other sectors account for the remaining percentage. Nigeria is not a Banana republic, our economy does not really on oil. So i scratch my head every time i see comments like these. No one depends on the Nigeria delta, their are other economic activities in the country other than oil that can be tax.

Secondly, This is for all those who constantly group themselves with oil producing state, get over it. If Nigeria was to split I can assure you that either two countries will emerge, a north or a south, or 250 new nations will emerge, those are the only options. Why are you guys complaining that the British just group us together without a care in the world yet you do the exact same thing by drawing ludicrous maps and making absurd statement by grouping ethnicity that don't want to be with you. Seriously, I think some people on here need to grow up and act their age for once, disgusting.

eten wabiwinna oviedo cool you have done well

God bless Nigeria
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Katsumoto: 2:56am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

This is the FAULTY part about GDP.  A true GDP not only measures on its number but per/capita as well. You can better access an economy better on the per capita basis because you want to know what the economic output for each individual is. Keep in mind the GDP represent everything including debts as well (Govt spending which can include loans). With that being said, perform a GDP per capita, SE has the second highest per capita after SS and that's because of their OIL. That tells you the true productivity per individual is actually in the SE/SS.

Stranger
1. You can't access an economy better on GDP per capita; GDP per capita is a measure of standard of living. GDP is a true measure of an economy (growth or contraction) regardless of the approach used to calculate it. GDP is faulty because it doesn't measure equality, effects of production on the environment, income from the underground economy, nor does it take into account certain valuable services such as housework, etc.

2. GDP per capita is not a measure of individual productivity or income. As I said in 1 above, it measures standard of living. if an area has a GDP of $10,000 and there are 1000 people living in that area, the GDP per capita is $10. It doesn't necessarily mean that each person has $10. Usually in the economies of capitalist countries, income is usually concentrated in a few hands. One man may have earned $6,000.

3. The presence of natural resources in an area does not make its citizens more productive. The GDP per capita in Qatar is almost triple that of Germany; will you are that Qataris are more productive than Germans?

4. GDP is a measure of economic activity and not wealth. Debt is never included in GDP. If you look at the formulas for all the approaches used in calculating GDP (income, expenditure, production) you will observe that debt is not a component. There is a debt to gdp ratio which helps investors assess a government's ability to repay its debt.

5. Within a country, the approach used to calculate GDP will produce different results. For instance, one area may have the highest GDP if income is used while another area may have highest GDP if expenditure is used and another area may have highest GDP if production is used

Perhaps I am wrong.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 2:57am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

@Olodostein,

I once suggested that the SE can form what is called a "business consortium", this consortium will be responsible for a particular key development,  for instance transportation. This consortium will set up what I thought should be called the South East Development Corporation. This Corp will have access to large pool of money both home and abroad, and I mean in hundreds of millions of $$$. This Corp oversee major infrastructural investment such as Medium or High Speed Rail Networks, Manufacturing Villages (out-of the box style model), port to airports to whatever it is that connect SE for the greater good.

Noted. The Vision has already begun. May you live long, Nwanne.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by reporter1: 3:00am On Jan 18, 2012
dayokanu:

So we are to believe Lagos grew from 9m in 2006 to 14m in 2010. 1 million growth every year?

Lagos State in 1991 was 5million and increased to 9m in 2006, 15years later but now we are to believe that it did 5million increase in 5yrs?

It is possible with the number of economic refugees arriving daily from SE.  Who wants to stay in some erosion forsaken land? With Kidnappers, canibals, and armed robbers roaming all over the place, who would stay in such a hole? I would bail to SW too if I were a Nyamirin.

When Nigeria finally breaks, Nyamirin will be the most disappointed because Akwa Ibomites will not share their resources with nobaga, and neither will Ijaws.
What will be left will be eroded and gully land.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 3:00am On Jan 18, 2012
dayokanu:

Perhaps, it's been fake news circulating the internet then that a census was held in 2010 or perhaps my subconscious mind telling me one was held in 2010 undecided undecided undecided

Look at question, how did Lagos add population by 5million in five years?  embarassed embarassed embarassed Is that supposedly a question? How much was it's GDP in 2006 and how much is it now? Or you think population and productivity doesn't affect GDP? Same how Nigeria was 140million in 2006 and some world data has it now surpassed 150+ million people.

To answer your question, when population increases, it spurs productivity. so YES, we are to believe that Lagos has added 5million residents over the past five years. After all, the Bloomberg's articles said, GDP was @ $54billon while per capita was about $3,000, leaving us with about 18million residents.

Please, it's important to ask ekt_bear, he will post the article if he has it in archive, I wasn't the one who wrote it.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Katsumoto: 3:14am On Jan 18, 2012
It is really pathetic that in this day and age, grown folks are still making the following errors

1. That originating from an area rich in mineral resources automatically makes you rich or comfortable. Are all Texans rich/wealthy? If your neighbour has oil beneath the surface of his land; does that make you rich vicariously?

2. That every Nigerian, including those living under bridges, is stealing oil from the Niger delta. The individuals profiting from the oil in the ND cut across all Nigerian tribes as well as foreign beneficiaries

I hope Asari's prayers will be answered so that GEJ can initiate an SNC which can lead to Nigeria's dissolution. This oil really is a curse.

manny4life:

Perhaps, it's been fake news circulating the internet then that a census was held in 2010 or perhaps my subconscious mind telling me one was held in 2010 undecided undecided undecided

Look at question, how did Lagos add population by 5million in five years?  embarassed embarassed embarassed Is that supposedly a question? How much was it's GDP in 2006 and how much is it now? Or you think population and productivity doesn't affect GDP? Same how Nigeria was 140million in 2006 and some world data has it now surpassed 150+ million people.

To answer your question, when population increases, it spurs productivity. so YES, we are to believe that Lagos has added 5million residents over the past five years. After all, the Bloomberg's articles said, GDP was @ $54billon while per capita was about $3,000, leaving us with about 18million residents.

Please, it's important to ask ekt_bear, he will post the article if he has it in archive, I wasn't the one who wrote it.

Population increase can either increase or decrease GDP depending on whether those arriving are productive or lazy. 1000 steve jobs is not the same as 1000 handicapped beggars. Similarly, if those arriving engage in the underground economy, then they may not increase the GDP of an area but reduce the GDP per capita of the said area in question.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 3:20am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

see*noevil
No offense but how old are you? An educated adult wouldn't be making such id!otic statements. for your information oil only account for 14% of nigeria's GDP, while agriculture accounts for more than 26% of nigeria's gdp and other sectors account for the remaining percentage. Nigeria is not a Banana republic, our economy does not rely on oil. So i scratch my head every time i see comments like these. No one depends on the Niger delta, there are other economic activities in the country other than oil that can be tax.

How does Nigeria get her huge chunk of foreign exchange? Do you export cars, computers and so on? We import almost everything tangible into this country. Do you buy goods abroad with Naira?

According to wikidepia;
[b]
“In political science, the pejorative term Banana Republic denotes a politically unstable country dependent upon limited primary productions (e.g. bananas; in our case, crude oil.), which is ruled by a plutocracy, a small, self-elected, wealthy group who exploit the country by means of a politico-economic oligarchy.

In practice, a banana republic is a country operated as a commercial enterprise for private profit, effected by the collusion between the State and favoured monopolies, whereby the profits derived from private exploitation of public lands (resources) is private property, and the debts incurred are public responsibility.

Such an imbalanced economy reduces the national currency to devalued paper-money; hence, the country remains limited by the uneven economic development of towns and country.

Kleptocracy, government by thieves, features influential government employees exploiting their posts for personal gain (embezzlement, fraud, bribery, etc.), with the resultant deficit repaid by the native working people who “earn money”, rather than “make money”. Because of foreign (corporate) manipulation, the government is unaccountable to its nation, the country’s private sector–public sector corruption operates the banana republic, thus, the national legislature usually are for sale, and function mostly as ceremonial government.”
[/b]

In that sense; Nigeria is a classic case of a Banana Republic.

So much for an Educated mind like yours cheesy.  So much comedy on Nairaland cool.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 3:20am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

Stranger
1. You can't access an economy better on GDP per capita; GDP per capita is a measure of standard of living. GDP is a true measure of an economy (growth or contraction) regardless of the approach used to calculate it. GDP is faulty because it doesn't measure equality, effects of production on the environment, income from the underground economy, nor does it take into account certain valuable services such as housework, etc.

2. GDP per capita is not a measure of individual productivity or income. As I said in 1 above, it measures standard of living. if an area has a GDP of $10,000 and there are 1000 people living in that area, the GDP per capita is $10. It doesn't necessarily mean that each person has $10. Usually in the economies of capitalist countries, income is usually concentrated in a few hands. One man may have earned $6,000.

3. The presence of natural resources in an area does not make its citizens more productive. The GDP per capita in Qatar is almost triple that of Germany; will you are that Qataris are more productive than Germans?

4. GDP is a measure of economic activity and not wealth. Debt is never included in GDP. If you look at the formulas for all the approaches used in calculating GDP (income, expenditure, production) you will observe that debt is not a component. There is a debt to gdp ratio which helps investors assess a government's ability to repay its debt.

5. Within a country, the approach used to calculate GDP will produce different results. For instance, one area may have the highest GDP if income is used while another area may have highest GDP if expenditure is used and another area may have highest GDP if production is used

Perhaps I am wrong.

I will pick your points one after another,

1.Perhaps, we look at thing differently. I'm glad we both agree that GDP is faulty now you see why I said I will rather use GDP per capita as opposed to a random bulk number which makes no meaning whatsoever. Oh I forgot this part, what is your standard of living based of on? Pretty much ability to spend and earn, consumption and income, etc so guess we're pretty much saying the same thing but in different term.

2. Dude, don't even get me started brother,  What are the components of GDP then if it isn't about productivity? LOL, dude stop making me to laugh,  The per capita is just explaining what each individual in an economy produces or contributes, and since income is part and parcel of GDP, I'm surprised you're saying this. I guess you're trying to explain something else different. U.S. has a GDP per capita of about $45k per person, it doesn't necessarily mean everyone in U.S. is earning that amount, it's just telling that that $45K is the average GDP components combined together for a given person.

3. If you have read my previous post prior to this, I have always SAID and MAINTAINED, natural resources doesn't make you productive. I also said it here as well, hard-work, vision, equal result (productivity). I really don't know where you summed all of that up. Yes the Qutaris are more productive per the Germans, like seriously?

4. Thank you to no 4, tell that to those who keep claiming LAGOS is wealthy.  Perhaps, you misread my post, or perhaps, I had typed wrongly, I've always maintained GDP is the measure of an economy NOT WEALTH, however, I'm of the opinion that a true GDP of how an economy is per capita,   That debt part was my own error, I admit that (I was rooting for govt expense not debt),

5. I strongly DO NOT agree with point 5, GDP remains the same way regardless of whatever approach is, it really doesn't matter.

To sum it up, we agree in parts, and I disagree in parts,
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 3:27am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

It is really pathetic that in this day and age, grown folks are still making the following errors

1. That originating from an area rich in mineral resources automatically makes you rich or comfortable. Are all Texans rich/wealthy? If your neighbour has oil beneath the surface of his land; does that make you rich vicariously?

2. That every Nigerian, including those living under bridges, is stealing oil from the Niger delta. The individuals profiting from the oil in the ND cut across all Nigerian tribes as well as foreign beneficiaries

I hope Asari's prayers will be answered so that GEJ can initiate an SNC which can lead to Nigeria's dissolution. This oil really is a curse.

Population increase can either increase or decrease GDP depending on whether those arriving are productive or lazy. 1000 steve jobs is not the same as 1000 handicapped beggars. Similarly, if those arriving engage in the underground economy, then they may not increase the GDP of an area but reduce the GDP per capita of the said area in question.

Meanwhile that 1000 handicapped beggars are part of the Micro economic cycle of demand, they are spending, consuming, buying, doing every other thing else an average person does right? Or aren't they? While they are begging, when you give them money, isn't that unaccounted wage that recycles back into the system as consumption? 

For instance, when 1,000 beggars purchase bear or cigarettes, food items, is that income not recorded all the way back through the cycle of demand and supply? Hasn't the purchase of those beggars affected the supply of goods as well as income of manufacturers?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by dayokanu(m): 3:30am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

Definitely you are mixing things, It was the US that had a census in 2010 not Nigeria

Nigeria grew by 7% in 5years which is very plausible given our 2.27% growth rate per annum documented

But how can any place record a 66% growth within 5years, If Lagos is really 15m then the 9million of 2006 must be fake by a margin
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nchara: 3:34am On Jan 18, 2012
I jam just imagining how poor Wale Tinubu, Otedola and Adenuga (including if IBB takes his Glo away) will become without oil from other zones.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 3:34am On Jan 18, 2012
dayokanu:

Definitely you are mixing things, It was the US that had a census in 2010 not Nigeria

Nigeria grew by 7% in 5years which is very plausible given our 2.27% growth rate per annum documented

But how can any place record a 66% growth within 5years, If Lagos is really 15m then the 9million of 2006 must be fake by a margin

That's the effect of multitasking, Ok forgive me on the first part, but anyway still ask ekt_bear about it, he knows what I'm talking about. Well, it's not impossible considering the fact that Lagos accounts for about 18% to Nigeria's GDP.  Again, ask him, he will tell you, although for me I seriously doubted both the population figures as well as the GDP they stated in their reports. Since they have experts, how can I refute the claims?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Katsumoto: 4:00am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

I will pick your points one after another,

1.Perhaps, we look at thing differently. I'm glad we both agree that GDP is faulty now you see why I said I will rather use GDP per capita as opposed to a random bulk number which makes no meaning whatsoever.

2. Dude, don't even get me started brother,  What are the components of GDP then if it isn't about productivity? LOL, dude stop making me to laugh,  The per capita is just explaining what each individual in an economy produces or contributes, and since income is part and parcel of GDP, I'm surprised you're saying this. I guess you're trying to explain something else different. U.S. has a GDP per capita of about $45k per person, it doesn't necessarily mean everyone in U.S. is earning that amount, it's just telling that that $45K is the average GDP components combined together for a given person.

3. If you have read my previous post prior to this, I have always SAID and MAINTAINED, natural resources doesn't make you productive. I also said it here as well, hard-work, vision, equal result (productivity). I really don't know where you summed all of that up. Yes the Qutaris are more productive per the Germans, like seriously?

4. Thank you to no 4, tell that to those who keep claiming LAGOS is wealthy.  Perhaps, you misread my post, or perhaps, I had typed wrongly, I've always maintained GDP is the measure of an economy NOT WEALTH, however, I'm of the opinion that a true GDP of how an economy is per capita,   That debt part was my own error, I admit that (I was rooting for govt expense not debt),

5. I strongly DO NOT agree with point 5, GDP remains the same way regardless of whatever approach is, it really doesn't matter.

To sum it up, we agree in parts, and I disagree in parts,

2. See explanation of GDP per capita from investopedia - "The gross domestic product (GDP) is one of the primary indicators of a country's economic performance. It is calculated by either adding up everyone's income during the period or by adding the value of all final goods and services produced in the country during the year. Per capita GDP is sometimes used as an indicator of standard of living as well, with higher per capita GDP being interpreted as having a higher standard of living.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/per-capita-gdp.asp#axzz1jm2lwIrH

Like I stated earlier, GDP per capita gives an indication of standard of living but not strength of an economy. Otherwise Qatar, Luxembourg, Brunei, Singapore have better performing economies than Germany, the US, Japan, and the UK.

3. In your original post that I replied to, you stated and I quote "That tells you the true productivity per individual is actually in the SE/SS." You were implying that individuals in the SE/SS were more productive than individuals in other regions based on GDP per capita. That assumption does not take into consideration the fact that Oil may be produced in the SS but the individuals/corporations who getting the benefit of that production may sit in Abuja, Enugu, Lagos, London, Washington. Oil production doesn't make the indigenes of the SS more productive. The oil workers in the SS may even not all come from the SS. Given that Nigeria's economy is most underground and Nigeria doesn't really have the ability to collate and analyse data, my guess is that Nigeria GDP is based on expenditure or production and unlikely to be based on income

5. Please re-read my original post. I stated and I quote "Within a country, the approach used to calculate GDP will produce different results. For instance, one area may have the highest GDP if income is used while another area may have highest GDP if expenditure is used and another area may have highest GDP if production is used". For instance, the GDP of the US may be $100,000. If you use income approach, NY may have highest GDP, if you use production, California or Texas may have highest, and if you use expenditure, DC may have the highest GDP. But the GDP will be $100,000 regardless of the approach.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by youngmonie: 4:05am On Jan 18, 2012
Ok this is my issue with my IGBO BROTHERS. Today they say they want BIAFRA, 2morrow they talk about IGBO presidency in 2015, now SNC. So wht excatly do they want, cos you can have it all. Simple, I have nothing against them other than this very issue. And as a yoruba man I would also join in the call for a SNC or regional Government. The SW was far far better as a region than under this presidential system of government
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Katsumoto: 4:08am On Jan 18, 2012
manny4life:

Meanwhile that 1000 handicapped beggars are part of the Micro economic cycle of demand, they are spending, consuming, buying, doing every other thing else an average person does right? Or aren't they? While they are begging, when you give them money, isn't that unaccounted wage that recycles back into the system as consumption? 

For instance, when 1,000 beggars purchase bear or cigarettes, food items, is that income not recorded all the way back through the cycle of demand and supply? Hasn't the purchase of those beggars affected the supply of goods as well as income of manufacturers?

The aggregate value of the purchases from the beggars may be less than what it costs society to accommodate them. Secondly the beggars are not producing anything, they get their money from the disposable income of those who give them alms. That income is already accounted for in GDP. If citizens didn't give them alms, the citizens would spend that money on other items. Unless the beggars are engaged in productive activities, the aggregate sum of their activities is already accounted for.

If population explosion increased GDP, the US wouldn't have borders. Controlled migration is good; open border is not always good.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by udbyron1(m): 4:21am On Jan 18, 2012
Shitz happenz
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 4:25am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

2. See explanation of GDP per capita from investopedia - "The gross domestic product (GDP) is one of the primary indicators of a country's economic performance. It is calculated by either adding up everyone's income during the period or by adding the value of all final goods and services produced in the country during the year. Per capita GDP is sometimes used as an indicator of standard of living as well, with higher per capita GDP being interpreted as having a higher standard of living.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/per-capita-gdp.asp#axzz1jm2lwIrH

Like I stated earlier, GDP per capita gives an indication of standard of living but not strength of an economy. Otherwise Qatar, Luxembourg, Brunei, Singapore have better performing economies than Germany, the US, Japan, and the UK.

3. In your original post that I replied to, you stated and I quote "That tells you the true productivity per individual is actually in the SE/SS." You were implying that individuals in the SE/SS were more productive than individuals in other regions based on GDP per capita. That assumption does not take into consideration the fact that Oil may be produced in the SS but the individuals/corporations who getting the benefit of that production may sit in Abuja, Enugu, Lagos, London, Washington. Oil production doesn't make the indigenes of the SS more productive. The oil workers in the SS may even not all come from the SS. Given that Nigeria's economy is most underground and Nigeria doesn't really have the ability to collate and analyse data, my guess is that Nigeria GDP is based on expenditure or production and unlikely to be based on income

5. Please re-read my original post. I stated and I quote "Within a country, the approach used to calculate GDP will produce different results. For instance, one area may have the highest GDP if income is used while another area may have highest GDP if expenditure is used and another area may have highest GDP if production is used". For instance, the GDP of the US may be $100,000. If you use income approach, NY may have highest GDP, if you use production, California or Texas may have highest, and if you use expenditure, DC may have the highest GDP. But the GDP will be $100,000 regardless of the approach.

Why would I need an explanation from investopedia when I know what this is?   Is it not someone like you and I that wrote an article on Investopedia? Is it not an average person that wrote it? Dude, please let's leave what they said,  I'm NOT disputing what GDP means nor am I doubting how it's calculated; however, like you quoted, "it is sometimes used as an indicator" not that it is a real measure,  Now, hopefully we are moving away from that "measure".

You keep saying standard of living, again, what does standard of living revolve around? I don't know what yardstick that you're using to measure performing economies other than components of the actual GDP. Just because you have $15trillion economy sure don't mean you're economy is performing any better than a $1trillion.

3. Yes, I still maintain that fact that SE has more productivity per person and better economy or better yet better standard of living than any other region with the exception of SS ,  GDP is centered around productivity (goods or services) it doesn't matter what or how you look at it, no matter how we dance around it, beat it, it's still what it is, IT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Yes the assumption takes that into consideration because we are not only targeting the benefits as well, but the cost associated, services associated as well etc, (you see the 1000 beggar example).

Oil production doesn't make you productive? Oh wow, I'm surprised,  Like seriously, I'm going back to Micro 101. Dude, Oil production involves LABOR, it doesn't matter whether from skilled to non skilled, doesn't it? Is LABOR not part of or a factor of production? When you refine that Oil even with people sited in Abuja and London, is LABOR, RAW MATERIALS not a positive part or productivity that result to finished goods? OMG, dude, please STOP this.

Though they may not come from the SS, but they are part of the consumption, spending, fiscal policies set by SS govt (tax etc), so it doesn't even matter whether you're from there or not, bottom line is that you're engaged in an activity.

I cannot say what approach they used because I don't have access to their data, however, given that agriculture accounts for more than 44%, while Retail account for an avg of 19% while Oil is 14%, I think they know the best way to go about it is the income approach.

Anyway, in as long as you agree and know they will remain the same way regardless of however you calculate it, don't really matter to me. Although, in my own knowledge and experience, it doesn't really matter what state or whichever it is, the factors and components DO NOT CHANGE but be it as it may, you agree it doesn't change,
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Katsumoto: 4:40am On Jan 18, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are trying to be clever. Mineral extraction by a foreign corporation will swell the coffers of a host community but it does not translate to high productivity among the citizens of that community. Was/is that not the angst of the oil producing communities in the ND? Their resources were being transferred out of their communities. A Texan oil company mining oil in texas is not the same as a British oil company mining in the ND. If the Oil companies in the ND were owned and managed by the nost communities or individuals within that community, then we can argue that the host community is productive. But if the citizens of that community are engaged in the same trades as you would find in other non-oil producing areas, then the benefit of that oil is getting to them. So while Bayelsa may record $1Billion annually, $600million will go to shell, $250m to the government, $50m to marketers, £30m to MEND and $70m to the cabals. How has that improved the standard of living of the communities in Bayelsa?

Anyway, I am out; I believe I have made my point. tongue
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 4:46am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

The aggregate value of the purchases from the beggars may be less than what it costs society to accommodate them. Secondly the beggars are not producing anything, they get their money from the disposable income of those who give them alms. That income is already accounted for in GDP. If citizens didn't give them alms, the citizens would spend that money on other items. Unless the beggars are engaged in productive activities, the aggregate sum of their activities is already accounted for.

If population explosion increased GDP, the US wouldn't have borders. Controlled migration is good; open border is not always good.

Dude, why are you further complicating issues?  cry cry cry  That's my whole point exactly, it doesn't really matter whether society accommodates them or not, they will spend and consume. If the society or govt spends, it becomes govt social expense (govt spending), it just increases it further, if govt or society don't accommodate or spend on them, govt spending will remain the same, Like seriously dude, IT DOES NOT MATTER, and no offense, their aggregate purchase with reference to hat is somewhat irrelevant, IMO

Perhaps, I should change that productive to (input/output) (spend/earn) part of economic activity. The beggars are indeed both inputting by spending, and earning their disposable income. That income has been accounted for, but has the expense for that beer been accounted for? Otherwise, how will that equal out? undecided undecided undecided

Mr Leo earns $100, (income)

Tax (10%) = $10
Alms  = $20
Shopping = $20
Rent = $50

Income on right, expense on left, don't they equal together? Dude, it's eaither you spend your income, save it, invest it or give it as a gift, either way, it's part of the system AND has to equal out at the end of the day.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by manny4life(m): 4:51am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are trying to be clever. Mineral extraction by a foreign corporation will swell the coffers of a host community but it does not translate to high productivity among the citizens of that community. Was/is that not the angst of the oil producing communities in the ND? Their resources were being transferred out of their communities. A Texan oil company mining oil in texas is not the same as a British oil company mining in the ND. If the Oil companies in the ND were owned and managed by the nost communities or individuals within that community, then we can argue that the host community is productive. But if the citizens of that community are engaged in the same trades as you would find in other non-oil producing areas, then the benefit of that oil is getting to them. So while Bayelsa may record $1Billion annually, $600million will go to shell, $250m to the government, $50m to marketers, £30m to MEND and $70m to the cabals. How has that improved the standard of living of the communities in Bayelsa?

Anyway, I am out; I believe I have made my point.  tongue

Dude, don't forget you were making an "assumption" NOT the reality in case. The reality in case accounts majorly for CORRUPTION not because they ain't productive, so please, leave that your "clever" to the side. You have gradually shifted your base from assumption with reality of " if the host community had their oil field themselves), meanwhile we are talking about GDP and production in general. Besides, If it's not for corruption, why the hell will $250million go to govt let alone without any tangible thing? 

Yeah it will swell their coffers, it's up to them to transform that coffers into further productivity like improving agriculture, healthcare, education or even improve the poor backyard refining process. etc. Oil production accounts for production, the volume of production to the population is very minute. Also, it might not be "high productivity" as you claim, but it doesn't mean, there isn't production. If govt was doing their job of improving the SS, wouldn't you have seen the results by now? After all is it not the same money building Abuja?

Like I maintained, natural resources in itself doesn't mean economic productivity, HOWEVER, harnessing the natural resources, transforming these resources into goods is part and form of production. For increased economic productivity at least in the Oil sector, you need more influx of different economic activities.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 5:34am On Jan 18, 2012
Olodostein:

In that sense; Nigeria is a classic case of a Banana Republic.

So much for an Educated mind like yours cheesy.  So much comedy on Nairaland cool.

And does Nigeria depend on only 1 resource, oil? NO. does Nigeria have an unstable political system? NO. Does Nigeria have a diverse economy? Yes. Do state government budgets consist of IGR? Yes. do Nigeria have free will to vote for whom they want? yes. So how is Nigeria a banana republic.

I think people need to get this oil syndrome out of their heads because their are many other sectors that make up the bulk of nigeria's economy. How can you say that oil, which only makes up 14% of our GDP, makes us a banana republic?

IGR makes up about 60% of Lagos state budget, how can you say that they fully depend on oil? Fact remains that yes oil does make up the bulk of nigeria's government revenue, but if oil finishes tomorrow there are other sectors in the economy that they can easily tax to make up for the lost funds

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Agony, Hardship As Power Supply Drops To Six Hours Daily - Vanguard / Reno Omokri's Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story Of The Jonathan Years Trends / Dasuki Granted N200 Million Bail By Abuja Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.