Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference (20703 Views)

Buhari Should Organise A Sovereign National Conference Now / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Onlytruth(m): 6:01am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

And does Nigeria depend on only 1 resource, oil? NO. does Nigeria have an unstable political system? NO. Does Nigeria have a diverse economy? Yes. Do state government budgets consist of IGR? Yes. do Nigeria have free will to vote for whom they want? yes. So how is Nigeria a banana republic.

I don't know whether to start laughing or to start crying for this type of brazen lie, hubris or outright jipiti talk.
So what are we talking about then here?
Why is Asari "Occupying" his resources?
Why are Nigerians butchered EVERY YEAR in Northern Nigeria?

If that is not poltical instability, then, black has become white, and white black!
Why can't you Nigerians tell yourselves the truth for once?  undecided
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:36am On Jan 18, 2012
Onlytruth:

I don't know whether to start laughing or to start crying for this type of brazen lie, hubris or outright jipiti talk.
So what are we talking about then here?
Why is Asari "Occupying" his resources?
Why are Nigerians butchered EVERY YEAR in Northern Nigeria?

If that is not poltical instability, then, black has become white, and white black!
Why can't you Nigerians tell yourselves the truth for once?  undecided

We have had stable elections for over ten years, though it doesn't mean we have good leadership, our political system is still strong. Second, what does killings in the north or resource control have to do with a stable political system, that has to do with security and mismanagement. Just because you keep voting the same corrupt leaders into office doesn't mean that the political system is unstable. We have had countless election for the pass ten years in federal, state, and lg offices with no interruption. The system is stable but the politicians are moronic. You have the right to vote, the right to protest and the right to hold your leader accountable for their actions, so how is the system unstable. Isn't this the same nigeria that other countries come to to solve their own political problems, if nigeria had an unstable political system why would they come? Like I said, nigeria political system is stable but our politicians are moronic.

Another person who has oil syndrome, OIL IS NOT THE ONLY COMMODITY OR SERVICE IN NIGERIA'S ECONOMY. what so hard for you to realize that we have other sectors in our economy other than oil, or do you think every nigerian works for NNPC AND SHELL. Seriously It frustrates me every time i hear some on say that because those whosay it are either not even in-touch with what is going on in nigeria or are not nigerians. Continue to wallow in ignorance while foreigners are investing in nigeria making revenues while you, a so called nigerian, continue to complain about lack of cash.

I'm not saying nigeria is develop, i'm not saying that nigeria is paradise and i'm not saying that nigeria is perfect, what I am saying is that nigeria is indeed developing and is better that what you think nigeria is. . .  somolia. 
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Onlytruth(m): 6:38am On Jan 18, 2012
Please define political instability. Also define "diverse economy" and tell me whether Nigeria can survive today without oil revenues.
What do you export again?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:40am On Jan 18, 2012
When a political system or country goes into turmoil.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 6:42am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

And does Nigeria depend on only 1 resource, oil? NO. does Nigeria have an unstable political system? NO. Does Nigeria have a diverse economy? Yes. Do state government budgets consist of IGR? Yes. do Nigeria have free will to vote for whom they want? yes. So how is Nigeria a banana republic.

I think people need to get this oil syndrome out of their heads because their are many other sectors that make up the bulk of nigeria's economy. How can you say that oil, which only makes up 14% of our GDP, makes us a banana republic?

IGR makes up about 60% of Lagos state budget, how can you say that they fully depend on oil? Fact remains that yes oil does make up the bulk of nigeria's government revenue, but if oil finishes tomorrow there are other sectors in the economy that they can easily tax to make up for the lost funds

The above is a joke, especially the bolded. How can so much be made up in a single paragraph?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Onlytruth(m): 6:43am On Jan 18, 2012
One example: Every time I shop for African food in the US, I come across many Ghanaian food items packed to the same standards as those of Malaysia. Nigeria is constantly missing!
I even eat Ghanaian yams in the US, while Nigerians are waiting for oil money to be shared!
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Onlytruth(m): 6:45am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

When a political system or country goes into turmoil.

So, when was the last time Nigeria didn't have one political turmoil or the other, from 1964 operation wetie, till today?
Show me ONE year we had absolute peace politically.  undecided
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:49am On Jan 18, 2012
Onlytruth:

Please define political instability. Also define "diverse economy" and tell me whether Nigeria can survive today without oil revenues.
What do you export again?

When a political system or country goes into turmoil and the governing party can easily be overthrown. Second a diverse economy is an economy based on different sectors, such as agriculture, manufacturing etc. and yes, the same way Botswana, nambia, ghana, kenya and other european countries etc can survive without oil is the same way we can survive without oil, all we need is good leadership and a taxed based system.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:51am On Jan 18, 2012
Onlytruth:

So, when was the last time Nigeria didn't have one political turmoil or the other, from 1964 operation wetie, till today?
Show me ONE year we had absolute peace politically.  undecided

I think your confusing the definition of political instability, though there has been violence in nigeria, the government has remain stable for the past ten years.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:53am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

The above is a joke, especially the bolded. How can so much be made up in a single paragraph?
Beaf, I and many forumers have long lost respect for you, if anything you are the joke. Your not even a real nigerian and your over here and there talking trash.

whats so hard to believe, its facts, you can look it up.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 6:56am On Jan 18, 2012
Onlytruth:

One example: Every time I shop for African food in the US, I come across many Ghanaian food items packed to the same standards as those of Malaysia. Nigeria is constantly missing!
I even eat Ghanaian yams in the US, while Nigerians are waiting for oil money to be shared!

GAR3TH:

Another person who has oil syndrome, OIL IS NOT THE ONLY COMMODITY OR SERVICE IN NIGERIA'S ECONOMY. what so hard for you to realize that we have other sectors in our economy other than oil, or do you think every nigerian works for NNPC AND SHELL. Seriously It frustrates me every time i hear some on say that because those whosay it are either not even in-touch with what is going on in nigeria or are not nigerians. Continue to wallow in ignorance while foreigners are investing in nigeria making revenues while you, a so called nigerian, continue to complain about lack of cash.

Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 7:04am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

Beaf, I and many forumers have long lost respect for you, if anything you are the joke. Your not even a real nigerian and your over here and there talking trash.

whats so hard to believe, its facts, you can look it up.

When you people are caught talking crap, you reach for cheap escape routes. Who cares for your respect?
All that is demanded of you is the plain truth, not lies and escape routes.

Oil makes up 90% of our forex earnings. That 90% is what goes into the foreign reserve, federation account, CBN and FG run accounts. Oil also makes up about 95% of the FG's disposable income. It is the FG's disposable income that is shared between Abuja, the states and LG's.
Oil is Nigeria's everything.

From the Central Bank:

The Nigerian economy is import dependent with very little non-oil exports. It relies heavily on crude oil and gas exports with other sectors trailing far behind.
For example, crude oil accounts for about 90 per cent of foreign exchange earned by the country
while non-oil exports account for the balance. The economy is, therefore, susceptible to shocks in the oil industry. In recent times, these shocks have been caused by either developments in the International crude oil market or the restiveness in the Niger Delta region of the country. Agriculture and other mining (besides oil and gas) have been abandoned to the rural poor. Economic and social infrastructure, especially power is grossly dilapidated. The power sector is generally recognized as a binding constraint on Nigerian economy. Poor corporate governance, both in the public and private sectors have led to high incidence of corruption and inequity in income distribution.

http://www.cenbank.org/OUT/SPEECHES/2010/GOV_CONVOCATION_LECTURE-IGBINEDION-UNIVERSITY-OKADA_2010.PDF

Challenges of Managing External Reserves

Volatility of Foreign Exchange Inflow
Nigeria’s dependence on oil for over 90% of its foreign exchange earnings makes its capital account vulnerable to the fluctuations in crude oil prices. This, in addition to its high import bills contributed to the fluctuations in the level of reserves over the years and consequently the way the reserves are being managed. During the oil boom of the mid-seventies which has resulted in the build up of reserves, the external reserves were diversified into an array of financial instruments including foreign government bonds and treasury bills, foreign government guaranteed securities, special drawing rights (SDRs), fixed term deposits, call accounts and current accounts. This provided significant investment income as well as liquidity. However, during the glut in the global oil market which led to collapse in the crude oil prices and consequently a drawdown in the reserves, the reserves were held mainly in current accounts and treasury bills. This underscored the need to diversify the sources of foreign exchange inflow of the country.

http://www.cenbank.org/Intops/ReserveMgmt.asp
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 7:09am On Jan 18, 2012
@Gareth

Abeg, tell us the mysterious sources of Nigeria's revenue, cos you guys love creating fairytales.
Don't forget to give us details of Nigeria's political stability and why some fools have listed us as a failed state since 2006. Maybe your wisdom can save the day.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 7:11am On Jan 18, 2012
Are we talking about the foreign exchange, NO, are we talking about government revenue, NO, we were talking about the economy as in GDP! oil account for about 14% of our GDP!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/non-oil-sector-to-drive-nigerias-gdp-growth-in-2012/

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/mobile/columnist/31384-reforms-and-government’s-moral-burden.html
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 7:18am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

Are we talking about the foreign exchange, NO, are we talking about government revenue, NO, we were talking about the economy as in GDP!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/non-oil-sector-to-drive-nigerias-gdp-growth-in-2012/

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/mobile/columnist/31384-reforms-and-government’s-moral-burden.html

You are talking about GDP? lol!
Basically all of the FG's money comes from forex and 95% of that is from oil. Neither the states, Fg, nor the LG's can survive without 95% forex from oil revenues; its what makes up the money in Abuja. So what is the difference between the FG's forex supply and the FG's revenue?

I quoted from CBN and you've countered that with quotes from the Vanguard and the Nation newspaper. Don't you think that is rather odd?
Dude, its like countering a physics text book with hearsay from the market.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 7:20am On Jan 18, 2012
And the only reason the FG, not the economy, but the FG relies on oil is because they do not tax. The FG DOES NOT RELY ON OIL, if oil ran out tomorrow they can easily switch to a tax code system, like the on in the USA and UK , and gain revenue that way because we have a large non oil dependent economy. The reason the fg uses oil is because they want to not because they have to. oil is an easy way of collecting revanue but its not the only way.

Beaf:

You are talking about GDP? lol!
Basically all of the FG's money comes from forex and 95% of that is from oil. There is no state in Nigeria that can survive without oil money from Abuja. So what is the difference between the FG's forex supply and the FG's revenue?

I quoted from CBN and you've countered that with quotes from the Vanguard and the Nation newspaper. Don't you think that is rather odd?
Dude, its like countering a physics text book with hearsay from the market.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 7:39am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

And the only reason the FG, not the economy, but the FG relies on oil is because they do not tax. The FG DOES NOT RELY ON OIL, if oil ran out tomorrow they can easily switch to a tax code system, like the on in the USA and UK , and gain revenue that way because we have a large non oil dependent economy. The reason the fg uses oil is because they want to not because they have to.

The point is that Nigeria is currently totally reliant on oil, that is the argument we are having.
Diversifying the economy is a future dream.

The FG can never make money from tax, with the way it is currently structured (which is why I would have loved to learn why you think we are politicaly stable).
The FG is structured for exploitation, indolence and parasitism. It is no coincidence that we have spent most of our 51 years retrogressing, while nations of a similar age (eg Malaysia and Singapore) have since become developed. It is also no coincidence that Nigeria is corrupt.
It is an area that those like you who hate me are loathe to hear. Regardless, it is the truth and the truth is painful, most NLers haven't got any understanding about how Nigeria works and the fact that the entire system is terribly sick, dying and needs fundamental changes that are painful.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Onlytruth(m): 7:45am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

The point is that Nigeria is currently totally reliant on oil, that is the argument we are having.

The FG can never make money from tax, with the way it is currently structured (which is why I would have loved to learn why you think we are politicaly stable).
The FG is structured for exploitation, indolence and parasitism. It is no coincidence that we have spent most of our 51 years retrogressing, while nations of a similar age (eg Malaysia and Singapore) have since become developed. It is also no coincidence that Nigeria is corrupt.
It is an area that those like you who hate me are loathe to hear. Regardless, it is the truth and the truth is painful, most NLers haven't got any understanding about how Nigeria works and the fact that the entire system is terribly sick, dying and needs fundamental changes that are painful.

Thank you my brother! Very well said. cool
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 7:54am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

Their is nothing wrong with the democratic representative system we have now, its the same system used in the USA and many other progressive countries, the real problems are the moronic leaders we keep electing over and over again and thats what really needs to change. Nigeria can get no were without strong viable leaders who are corruption and mismanagement free. Leaders like fashola, chimes, amaechi, duke, Oshiomhole, obi. Leaders like those are the ones we should be electing and not the visionless fools who are in power today

the only other thing that is wrong with Nigeria is our administrative system, why do we have 36 states and 774 LGAs and tons of pointless political position when the same thing can be done with just 18 states and 300 LGAs. Its just sickening. if you want to then change the border layout, add ebonyi to enugu state, add anomie state to Anambra State but what ever you do dont create more. Creating more state means more bureaucracy, more political salaries, more corruption, more of the budget being spent of recurrent expenditures etc.

On the issue on taxation, the FG can make revanue from taxing, If states can do it why cant the fg? IGR accounts for about 60% of lagos state budget and is expected to grow as our economy grows and more people pay taxes. It won't be long before 80 then 90 then 95 percent of lagos state budget comes from IGR. So if lagos and other state governments can generate funds from taxes why cant the FG do the same, the same way that you pay federal, state, and local taxes in the USA and UK why cant it be done in nigeria, We have a growing diverse economy so why not?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by OneNaira6: 8:21am On Jan 18, 2012
I support this movement. Occupy your resources is better, in this way nobody loses except state without resources.
I don't get why some are fighting this? una dey fear hunger?
If a policy of such is imposed: all money made from the resources of your state is kept by your state. Wetin is wrong with that?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Amalaaba: 8:25am On Jan 18, 2012
Whatever we do, i want us to have SNC, so that we can agree on how to live together in peace.

It is irrelevant whether SE, and the others have oil or not, what matters is their contributions to the polity. Most of the oil produced in US comes from a few states such as TEXAS and CALIFORNIA, but US makes more from sales of arms, services, intellectual properties and so on.

You can not for example deny that the Igbos are using their undeniable skill to run this economy in all facets. No group can does claim to have the only means of sustaining a nation; that is pretentious.  Many nations survive without and in spite of oil.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by otondo55: 8:44am On Jan 18, 2012
The Land of The Rising Sun !

When shall it become, very soon !

I long for you dearly, where we can live of the same culture,religion and belief !

Your enemies will be on their knees, as you emerge !

Nigeria = lies, tribalism, doom, hate, killing, 

One-Nigeria by foot !
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by richidinho(m): 9:08am On Jan 18, 2012
[color=#990000]Now I can see exactly what Jonathan is up to. He probably wants Nigeria to collapse leaving the North and West standing solely, while probably the South east is merged with the South-South. The continuous attacks by Boko haram in the North on Christians is just to bring division amongst even the very same people of the North and those of the West.
I SMELL WAR!
[/color]

u get nose my broda

am tired of sharing this country with aboki
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by klas(m): 9:15am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf and gar3th should first agree on definition of terms before arguing. Each of them is correct on what each is supporting but they are not arguing on the same thing hence the disagreement.

Economy and govt revenue are not the same thing

Beaf is right that govt revenue is almost entirely dependent on oil sale but gar3th is talking about the whole economy which is by far larger than the oil sector and govt receipt.

It amuses me when people say Nigeria economy is not diversified. The economy is diversified, what needs to be diversified is the sources of foreign exchange which still remain oil.  

If the economy is not diversified, every Nigerian will be in oil related business. Tell me how many igbo traders in Alaba whose equals that of states are doing oil related biz. Don't tell me they use oil forex to import otherwise how do Igbos successfully trade in countries without oil. Same goes for farmers and cattle rearers in other parts of the country.

Forex earnings is good but that is not the basis for diversified economy. If Nigeria economy is self sufficient (subject to economic limitation), not all Nigerians will be expert in Forex rates fluctuation monitoring as we have today.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 9:23am On Jan 18, 2012
^
Dude, please take a look at this thread titled, "We Have Work To Do - Cities With Higher Gdp Than Nigeria:" https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-500596.0.html
We are not nearly diversified enough if that is happening.

GAR3TH:

Their is nothing wrong with the democratic representative system we have now, its the same system used in the USA and many other progressive countries, the real problems are the moronic leaders we keep electing over and over again and thats what really needs to change. Nigeria can get no were without strong viable leaders who are corruption and mismanagement free. Leaders like fashola, chimes, amaechi, duke, Oshiomhole, obi. Leaders like those are the ones we should be electing and not the visionless fools who are in power today

the only other thing that is wrong with Nigeria is our administrative system, why do we have 36 states and 774 LGAs and tons of pointless political position when the same thing can be done with just 18 states and 300 LGAs. Its just sickening. if you want to then change the border layout, add ebonyi to enugu state, add anomie state to Anambra State but what ever you do dont create more. Creating more state means more bureaucracy, more political salaries, more corruption, more of the budget being spent of recurrent expenditures etc.

On the issue on taxation, the FG can make revanue from taxing, If states can do it why cant the fg? IGR accounts for about 60% of lagos state budget and is expected to grow as our economy grows and more people pay taxes. It won't be long before 80 then 90 then 95 percent of lagos state budget comes from IGR. So if lagos and other state governments can generate funds from taxes why cant the FG do the same, the same way that you pay federal, state, and local taxes in the USA and UK why cant it be done in nigeria, We have a growing diverse economy so why not?

You have got it quite wrong. We are used to the shambolic structure of Nigeria and cannot imagine that the structure could be more efficient and productive.
The UK practices a parliamentary system which is very different from the government Presidential system of the US. Also, the UK is a unitary state, while the US is federal.

The Nigerian system is closer to chaos than it is to any known political system on Earth. Everything about the Nigerian system negates itself, cancels out growth and punishes the citizen. We have no national philosophy that moulds the national psyche and determines the role of the citizen.
America practices a federal system based on philosophical tenets the ordinary citizen can identify with; freedom, liberty, and the American dream that anyone can aspire and become great through boundless opportunities. The UK's philosophy is based on the stiff upper lip, Queen and country and British Excellence. What philosophy is Nigeria based on? What is the definition of "Nigerian?" We have no national ideals. What can the average key into to feel a belonging to Nigeria, to feel appreciated and valued by their country? What is there to bind Nigerians as one unit in a quest for development? A country without a national philosophy, is a country without a plan.
In Nigeria our philosophy is, "anything goes;" we wait for a problem to develop, then patch it with cellotape or mud, only to wait for the next.

To give some examples of Nigeria's chaos, states and LG's were created, not based on their productivity, but by their population. In other words, all you need as a state or LG is too have a randy population to increase the share of the Abuja cake. Governors need not lift a finger, LG bosses need not turn up for work. It is institutionalised indolence and no country can ever develop from such a mess. To compound matters, the FG holds all the keys to the oil funds in a pyramid of patronage that naturally breeds corruption, easy money and an unwillingness to change the failed system.
Those who do not have direct access to oil funds are paid to keep quiet, the NASS with their huge wages and the common man with N65 per litre fuel. It is pure evil.
It goes without saying that neither Washington nor London funds states, counties, LG's or municipalities.

It is not enough to wish Nigeria well, we must all actively call for total restructuring from the ground; not the stone-headed, retrogressive subsidy "revolution" type, but a call for true federalism and a new citizen-state contract that will guarantee every man, woman an child a sense of belonging and the feeling that they are valued. We must call for an uprooting of the current chaotic system to be replaced by one which guarantee's regional autonomy, self-reliance, rewards for sweat and innovation; and one that requires that the federating units fund Abuja, instead of the other way round.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by executinal(m): 9:24am On Jan 18, 2012
Welcome developement
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 9:33am On Jan 18, 2012
klas:

Beaf and gar3th should first agree on definition of terms before arguing. Each of them is correct on what each is supporting but they are not arguing on the same thing hence the disagreement.

Economy and govt revenue are not the same thing

Beaf is right that govt revenue is almost entirely dependent on oil sale but gar3th is talking about the whole economy which is by far larger than the oil sector and govt receipt.

It amuses me when people say Nigeria economy is not diversified. The economy is diversified, what needs to be diversified is the sources of foreign exchange which still remain oil.  

If the economy is not diversified, every Nigerian will be in oil related business. Tell me how many igbo traders in Alaba whose equals that of states are doing oil related biz. Don't tell me they use oil forex to import otherwise how do Igbos successfully trade in countries without oil. Same goes for farmers and cattle rearers in other parts of the country.

Forex earnings is good but that is not the basis for diversified economy. If Nigeria economy is self sufficient (subject to economic limitation), not all Nigerians will be expert in Forex rates fluctuation monitoring as we have today.

Yes, I realized that, no need to spam and derail the thread, I'll end the argument.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 9:48am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

^
Dude, please take a look at this thread titled, "We Have Work To Do - Cities With Higher Gdp Than Nigeria:" https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-500596.0.html
We are not nearly diversified enough if that is happening.

Yes, we may not earn as much but its a start, we are a 3rd world country for a reason. The budgets may not be as big as the oil budget or budgets of western powers but it will get bigger and surpass the oil budget as we develop. Through the eye of economist and investors Nigerian is not known for its oil but rather its economic potential and with that economic potential is revenue for the gov, all we need is time and an enabling environment for nigerians (aka good governance).

You have got it quite wrong. We are used to the shambolic structure of Nigeria and cannot imagine that the structure could be more efficient and productive.
The UK practices a parliamentary system which is very different from the government Presidential system of the US. Also, the UK is a unitary state, while the US is federal.

The Nigerian system is closer to chaos than it is to any known political system on Earth. Everything about the Nigerian system negates itself, cancels out growth and punishes the citizen. We have no national philosophy that moulds the national psyche and determines the role of the citizen.
America practices a federal system based on philosophical tenets the ordinary citizen can identify with; freedom, liberty, and the American dream that anyone can aspire and become great through boundless opportunities. The UK's philosophy is based on the stiff upper lip, Queen and country and British Excellence. What philosophy is Nigeria based on? What is the definition of "Nigerian?" We have no national ideals. What can the average key into to feel a belonging to Nigeria, to feel appreciated and valued by their country? What is there to bind Nigerians as one unit in a quest for development? A country without a national philosophy, is a country without a plan.
In Nigeria our philosophy is, "anything goes;" we wait for a problem to develop, then patch it with cellotape or mud, only to wait for the next.

To give some examples of Nigeria's chaos, states and LG's were created, not based on their productivity, but by their population. In other words, all you need as a state or LG is too have a randy population to increase the share of the Abuja cake. Governors need not lift a finger, LG bosses need not turn up for work. It is institutionalised indolence and no country can ever develop from such a mess. To compound matters, the FG holds all the keys to the oil funds in a pyramid of patronage that naturally breeds corruption, easy money and an unwillingness to change the failed system.
Those who do not have direct access to oil funds are paid to keep quiet, the NASS with their huge wages and the common man with N65 per litre fuel. It is pure evil.
It goes without saying that neither Washington nor London funds states, counties, LG's or municipalities.

It is not enough to wish Nigeria well, we must all actively call for total restructuring from the ground; not the stone-headed, retrogressive subsidy "revolution" type, but a call for true federalism and a new citizen-state contract that will guarantee every man, woman an child a sense of belonging and the feeling that they are valued. We must call for an uprooting of the current chaotic system to be replaced by one which guarantee's regional autonomy, self-reliance, rewards for sweat and innovation; and one that requires that the federating units fund Abuja, instead of the other way round.

So in summary you and I both agree that nigeria has to change.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by LEXYLOV: 10:16am On Jan 18, 2012
This asari or whatever his name is must be an illiterate clown. Lacks of any standard political knowledge and blindly following an incompetent GEJ just because of his ethnic/bribes. Bigot lipsrsealed
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Calebsky(m): 11:00am On Jan 18, 2012
I hope you all know that Niger Delta "NIGERIA" is an ocean of gas with sprinkles of oil. The gas reserves alone will serve us till the world probably ends. And the world is anxiously waiting for this resource. Currently, the supply from LNG to Europe is an infinitesimal piece meal. Nigeria is so horrendously blessed and we have no business with poverty. Our bane has been bad and corrupt leadership. On this "OCCUPY YOUR RESOURCES" i think our eyes would be opened and other regions of the country will still survive from the abundance of other resources in their regions.

The way out is the SNC. I support Asari on this.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by silibaba: 11:16am On Jan 18, 2012
am loving ASARI cheesy cheesy cheesy

operation occupy your resources kiss kiss kiss

yoruba will go hungry including ABOKIS lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

just hope it work wink wink

LAND OF THE RISING SUN I CANT WAIT TO SEE U kiss kiss
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 18, 2012
GAR3TH:

I think people need to get this oil syndrome out of their heads because their are many other sectors that make up the bulk of nigeria's economy. How can you say that oil, which only makes up 14% of our GDP, makes us a banana republic?

IGR makes up about 60% of Lagos state budget, how can you say that they fully depend on oil? Fact remains that yes oil does make up the bulk of nigeria's government revenue, but if oil finishes tomorrow there are other sectors in the economy that they can easily tax to make up for the lost funds

You have not answered my questions. I don't know why you are running away from them. Here they are again:

How does Nigeria get her huge chunk of foreign exchange? Do you export cars, computers and so on? We import almost everything tangible into this country. Do you buy goods abroad with Naira?

You keep talking about Tax this and Tax that. If you were taxed, would you pay? How sure are you that it won't become another baseless #OccupyNigeria!2.0? People don't have money to pay tax in Nigeria because money does not circulate well into the hands of ordinary folks who needs it to boost the economy from the bottom up.

What is monetary policy? How does the Central bank of Nigeria initiate such policy to stabilize the naira; that is by pumping Forex into the system. Do you think they print Naira at will? Why did they limit some big companies from acquiring huge chunk of our foreign exchange to the detriment of importers and occasional travelers like yourself, who need it for business and other things? If there was shortage supply of it, it would cause inflation, thereby eroding the value of your money in the bank, your wage or sales.

You keep talking about agriculture as well; what are you producing agriculturally? How many tonnes of rice and other food items do you import into this country a year? Do you have a modern agricultural equipments that will boost production? If not, are you going to buy those with Naira from China or some other countries? Why is Naira not accepted there?

I expected you to say that we needed innovation and indigenous manufacturing of both heavy and light industries. That is always the backbone of a nations economy.

I wouldn't like to delve into Political philosophy; lack of of coherent and unified philosophy in this country; and how flawed and unstable the Nigerian political system is. Mr Beaf has already laid that out.

It is not always wise to label one who makes sense uneducated and ask of his/her age. Do not relate age with education and intelligence.  

I have more respect for a man who acknowledges mistake and accepts the truth than one who always try to justify the unjustifiable cool.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Niger State Residents React To 24-Hour Light Because Of Presence Of Osinbajo / Seyi Makinde Flouts Quarantine Act, Attends Event A Day After Returning From US / The Anambra Chino doesn't want you to see after Obi's 8 years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.