Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference (20696 Views)

Buhari Should Organise A Sovereign National Conference Now / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by GAR3TH(m): 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2012
Olodostein:

You have not answered my questions. I don't know why you are running away from them. Here they are again:

How does Nigeria get her huge chunk of foreign exchange? Do you export cars, computers and so on? We import almost everything tangible into this country. Do you buy goods abroad with Naira?

I think you have oil syndrome, not everything is nigeria is about oil and there are many sectors in nigeria's economy. Nigeria's GDP is over $350 billion USD a year, out of that 14% is from the oil industry, meaning about 300 Billion USD is created by other sectors of the economy. I don't think you know Nigeria that well to be making such statements. No we don't export cars and no we don't export computer, exporting doesn't mean you have a functioning economy. Obviously I cant name every company but nigeria has numerous airlines, numerous construction company, numerous manufacturing companies such as innoson, numerous food processing companies such as golden penny, numerous private farms, and the list goes on and on. I'm not saying that nigeria has a develop economy but you are not giving nigeria's economy the credit it deserve.

You keep talking about Tax this and Tax that. If you were taxed, would you pay? How sure are you that it won't become another baseless #OccupyNigeria!2.0? People don't have money to pay tax in Nigeria because money does not circulate well into the hands of ordinary folks who needs it to boost the economy from the bottom up.

I pay my taxes, it is your civic responsibility to pay taxes. There are numerous tax codes you can install so that you can collect tax from the poor without hurting them, for example you can tax them $1 dollar a year. 1 dollar times 150 million nigerians means and extra 150 million more dollars for development. Thats just one of numerous way and methods you can tax people and ofcourse Nigeria's tax will be less harsh than her foreign counterparts.

What is monetary policy? How does the Central bank of Nigeria initiate such policy to stabilize the naira; that is by pumping Forex into the system. Do you think they print Naira at will? Why did they limit some big companies from acquiring huge chunk of our foreign exchange to the detriment of importers and occasional travelers like yourself, who need it for business and other things? If there was shortage supply of it, it would cause inflation, thereby eroding the value of your money in the bank, your wage or sales.

confused what does this have to do with anything? I think you went off topic here, I'm the one who was talking about the economy while beaf was the one talking about Foriegn Exchange. both of use were talking about different topic.

You keep talking about agriculture as well; what are you producing agriculturally? How many tonnes of rice and other food items do you import into this country a year? Do you have a modern agricultural equipments that will boost production? If not, are you going to buy those with Naira from China or some other countries? Why is Naira not accepted there?

Like I said you have oil syndrome. just because the federal government is focused on oil doesn't mean that the private sector is doing nothing. There are many privately own farms in nigeria producing foods and crops like corn, cassava, palm oil, fruits, rice etc. as a matter of fact Nigeria produces 3.4 million tonnes of rice a year and output is expected to increase with the rise in investment. source

I expected you to say that we needed innovation and indigenous manufacturing of both heavy and light industries. That is always the backbone of a nations economy.

I did, Nigeria is not a develop country and does not have a develop economy but you guys dont give nigeria's economy the credit it deserve.I'm not saying its perfect or the best, but rather its developing and progressing. ofcourse it needs more work but you guys talk as if we live in somolia.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by bujubarth: 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2012
We are getting very close, the earlier we learn to leave without oil the better for us. If this oil may drys up this eveningwhat next?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2012
I think you have oil syndrome, not everything is nigeria is about oil and there are many sectors in nigeria's economy. Nigeria's GDP is over $350 billion USD a year, out of that 14% is from the oil industry, meaning about 300 Billion USD is created by other se/ctors of the economy. I don't think you know Nigeria that well to be making such statements. No we don't export cars and no we don't export computer, exporting doesn't mean you have a functioning economy. Obviously I cant name every company but nigeria has numerous airlines, numerous construction company, numerous manufacturing companies such as innoson, numerous food processing companies such as golden penny, numerous private farms, and the list goes on and on. I'm not saying that nigeria has a develop economy but you are not giving nigeria's economy the credit it deserve.[/color]

I do not have oil syndrome. My business is not oil, never been and could never be. I believe in using the brain to make something out of nothing; and it has been working for me thus far cheesy. I am just being realistic here. GDP of $350 billion is very poor for a country like Nigeria with a population of 160million people. New york city alone is three times that. What we are trying to say is that the Nigerian economy is HEAVILY dependent on oil and it has never been healthy. The CBN and IMF confirmed that. In fact, if the price of oil were to become $1 tomorrow in the international market, it will drastically affect activities in many aspects of the economy that fuels our GDP. I wouldn't like to present statistical reports; this is just a simple fact and we have to face the Reality. Even so, many of the light industry are owned by foreigners, many of this food processing companies are the legacy of the British and many are still managed by them. How many indigenous construction companies do you have? Julius Berger, Arab contractors, Chinese construction companies constructing are building roads and bridges for you? Do you think they spend their large proceeds in Nigeria? Dantata and Saweo are mostly managed by these foreign guys. They are paid with money in HARD currencies from oil proceeds. What else do you pay them with? I am yet to see a common socket made in Nigeria. We just need to start thinking more in developing a manufacturing base less dependent on oil. But I am not going to waste my time in delving into that; because the way things are going in this country, it is very much UNLIKELY in the foreseeable future.

I pay my taxes, it is your civic responsibility to pay taxes. There are numerous tax codes you can install so that you can collect tax from the poor without hurting them, for example you can tax them $1 dollar a year. 1 dollar times 150 million Nigerians means and extra 150 million more dollars for development. Thats just one of numerous way and methods you can tax people and of course Nigeria's tax will be less harsh than her foreign counterparts.

You will Tax a pure water seller or a shoe shiner amongst many others who can only eat when they go out to work that day, barely surviving on less than $2 a day and we have about 60% of those kind of people in this country. Do you mean to say, after generating your own electricity, buy water as in the case in many states and community, pay exorbitantly for goods and services; you expect working class folks to GLADLY pay tax into the system? The system that is fundamentally flawed to begin with.

confused what does this have to do with anything? I think you went off topic here, I'm the one who was talking about the economy while beaf was the one talking about Foriegn Exchange. both of use were talking about different topic.

It has everything to do with it. They are intertwined. In economics, when you analyse issues, you put everything into perspective. For instance, Greece GDP is on par with that of Nigeria; yet they went to borrow money( which in itself a foreign exchange) or else the economy crumbles. I could remember an economist on Bloomberg mocking the Greeks on how they only export Olive oil and other petty stuff that doesn't bring in much needed money for the country. One of their major export oriented industries are ship building and tourism;which is not always stable. So my friend, you cannot eat without drinking water and expect the food to digest well.  

Like I said you have oil syndrome. just because the federal government is focused on oil doesn't mean that the private sector is doing nothing. There are many privately own farms in nigeria producing foods and crops like corn, cassava, palm oil, fruits, rice etc. as a matter of fact Nigeria produces 3.4 million tonnes of rice a year and output is expected to increase with the rise in investment. source

The private sector and so on. How many do we have? Where does the money that fuels the private sector which is mostly Service industry come from? Of course, Nigeria produces food, but are we classified as a food exporting nation like others? Why does she import majority of the rice we consume in this country? Besides, Na only food man come chop for this world? Why do we always like to glorify mediocrity? Nigeria is confused and need total restructuring.

I did, Nigeria is not a develop country and does not have a develop economy but you guys don't give Nigeria's economy the credit it deserve.I'm not saying its perfect or the best, but rather its developing and progressing. of course it needs more work but you guys talk as if we live in somolia.

The thing is economics is both a positive( describing "what is"wink and normative( advocating"what ought to be"wink science. But what it can't escape is Reality.

I get your point. We can do much better, my friend.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by bujubarth: 1:21pm On Jan 18, 2012
A pity that our leaders does not understands times and seasons even th so called NLC & TUC
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by bujubarth: 1:29pm On Jan 18, 2012
Ethnic, tribal and religious sentiment has clouded our sense of reseaning, it is very unfortunate. That is what lead us to this destination. Instead of thinking of integrity, trust, accountability, perfomance and the like, we are busy disussing tribe, region and religion. Unless there is a change or we break, even the SNC may not work.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by y2kaustin(m): 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2012
BEAF!!!, took her to the room and removed her subsidy. She tried to protest but he was a major contest, she even threatened to strike but he struck back, he sucked her excess account and squeezed her lovely economy. Her labour was in vain, wat a shame. He went on to deregulate her downstream sector dat was oily, she couldn't say anything. She cried cos he did it 97 times. We all are witnesses to d rape of the masses! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Mogidi: 2:00pm On Jan 18, 2012
Every one should occupy there resources jare. The last protest was carried out chielfy by states and people who have no natural resources. To your tents O Israel.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by mrOops: 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2012
y2kaustin:

BEAF!!!, took her to the room and removed her subsidy. She tried to protest but he was a major contest, she even threatened to strike but he struck back, he sucked her excess account and squeezed her lovely economy. Her labour was in vain, wat a shame. He went on to deregulate her downstream sector dat was oily, she couldn't say anything. She cried cos he did it 97 times. We all are witnesses to d violation of the masses! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

LOL cheesy cheesy  grin  grin
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by pazienza(m): 2:39pm On Jan 18, 2012
y2kaustin:

BEAF!!!, took her to the room and removed her subsidy. She tried to protest but he was a major contest, she even threatened to strike but he struck back, he sucked her excess account and squeezed her lovely economy. Her labour was in vain, wat a shame. He went on to deregulate her downstream sector dat was oily, she couldn't say anything. She cried cos he did it 97 times. We all are witnesses to d violation of the masses! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
ROTFLMAO
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by smarttalks: 9:10pm On Jan 18, 2012
:-x
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by BlackPikiN(m): 12:01am On Jan 19, 2012
y2kaustin:

WTF?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 19, 2012
y2kaustin:

angry angry angry This @BEAF character has taken things too far this time - He must resign his position as Special Assistant on New Media with immediate effect grin
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by Valon4ego(m): 11:40am On Jan 19, 2012
y2kaustin:

una wan use laugh kill person?
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by y2kaustin(m): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2012
lol, cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by cheikh: 9:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Karl max
I also observed that their was no burning and looting!! I also observed that they were moving in an organized manner and[b] were not disturbing other people going about their normal busisness and I can't Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ any road block and extortion going on on the federal roads even state roads and of course no body is smoking indian hemp aka EGBO aka MARY J aka abu saidi at the rally or was it mentioned on the[/b] op

@^^ Bro you are correct! The highlighted ^ is one of several reasons that "Peaceful" protests in the South West zone consistently Fail and is usually perceived as Rowdy, Violent, Incoherent and quickly degenerate into self destructive activities e.g. the negative preponderance of "Area Boys" activities during the Oil subsidy/Occupy NIgeria protests. It is no wonder soldiers and " Mopol" are usually deployed quickly by so called "leaders" who will rationalise their backward "politics" on spurious mundane but "plausible" reasons to "Act" for our "Public"/National good undecided.
Re: Asari Dokubo Leads Port Harcourt Protest: Wants Sovereign National Conference by cheikh: 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
talknafree
Now I am beginning to see clearly that jonathan's increase in Oil price goes far beyond the subsidy and government improving the lives of Nigerians crap he was spreading.

Now I can see exactly what Jonathan is up to. He probably wants Nigeria to collapse leaving the North and West standing solely, while probably the South east is merged with the South-South. The continuous attacks by Boko haram in the North on Christians is just to bring division amongst even the very same people of the North and those of the West.

I think he probably have promised the South-South and South-Eastern governors that the chunk of the 'secret' money removed from oil subsidy will be to develop the region. Dieazi and Okonjo both are from the South-south and South-Eastern region respectively and the were the arrow heads of that policy. Sanusi only was used to speak on the Economy benefits to Nigerians.

I SMELL A CIVIL WAR!!!

@^^^ Your imagination is very colourful and very fertile indeed. There is oil also in the South West(Ondo and Lagos states). I guess there is oil in the Lake Chad Basin and Perhaps Sokoto axis too. There will be no War if gullible Nigerians from the South West/the rest of the South decide to go their separate ways. Who will be doing the fighting? What justification will the "potential" war fighters have to engage in such futile and self destructive enterprise. Presently Nigeria cannot contain/defeat small but effective insurgents in the North/South of the country let alone being able to contain a potential restive Southern collective. War is not easy or a dancing jamboree bro. Easy with your rich imagination grin wink. Nevertheless you may get your wish. I hope not for your sake cheesy. Presently, the most "patriotic" Nigerians are our "looters" of our common wealth/patrimony hence the shrill voices we hear from them occasionally. They have an investment/intrinsic reflex to protect "sickly" Nigeria as it is, because the bulk of their wealth/loot is from the inherent chaos perversive everywhere in the country, There is power and "Wealth" in Chaos for a small band of crooks ruling collective Nigeria as it is.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Thousands March Against Boko Haram In Niger / Abiola: President Buhari Apologizes To Nigerians Over June 12, 1993 Election / Odumakin Will Soon Know He Has No Immunity Like Presidents – Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.