Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,769 members, 7,851,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:48 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (816093 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 2:49pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sky-walker:

I dont know about any other city but in Portsmouth, there is a better chance of you getting a part time job being a care worker.Most of the guys i know who came in in September are doing that now.

Thanx sir. I can cease being thankful, you have been of great help to me. The truth about the matter, is that I dont seem to fancy the care work, as the schedule seems so redundant. I am a very adventourous, pragmatic person and that seem to have affected my choice of work.
Are there no jobs like gardening, cleaning or better still carpentry jobs as the case may be?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 3:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
peteafrik88:

Thanx sir. I can cease being thankful, you have been of great help to me. The truth about the matter, is that I dont seem to fancy the care work, as the schedule seems so redundant. I am a very adventourous, pragmatic person and that seem to have affected my choice of work.
Are there no jobs like gardening, cleaning or better still carpentry jobs as the case may be?

There are cleaning jobs also.Not sure of gardening or carpentry. Its just that the care work is the one that seems popular. Care work is flexible depending on the agency you work with,You can always reject jobs if they call you and you are busy. There are cleaning jobs but which some might require you early in the morning and late in the evening.Its up to you. You might be lucky and get some other jobs that you like. Maybe working within the school. They are flexible also as they tend to give you work when you not having lectures.

But to be honest,my advice is to get any job available when you come and they try and scout around for others jobs you feel you will enjoy. Nobody wants to be a care worker. Most people use it as a stepping stone to other easier or better jobs and to generate extra funds
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
I'm flying later this month for my MSc, I would like to know,
1. I'm budgeting 800£ per month (as was estimated) for my living expenses, would that be enough for me to live comfortably or I need to budget more? I dont really socialize.
2. What's the average cost of owning a car in the uk?

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 7:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
dannywest: I'm flying to coventry later this month for my MSc, I would like to know,
1. I'm budgeting 800£ per month (as was estimated) for my living expenses, would that be enough for me to live comfortably or I need to budget more? I dont really socialize.
2. What's the average cost of owning a car in the uk?

Thanks.

£800 should be fine
In regards to car. Buying is not the problem.Its your insurance which you might be paying as high as £200 a month or more for insurance since you will be driving with international license before you pass your UK driving test.Even when you get the UK drivers license its still gonna be a bit high.That excludes Road tax and petrol.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 7:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sky-walker:

£800 should be fine
In regards to car. Buying is not the problem.Its your insurance which you might be paying as high as £200 a month or more for insurance since you will be driving with international license before you pass your UK driving test.Even when you get the UK drivers license its still gonna be a bit high.That excludes Road tax and petrol.

The bus would be more economically viable, would probably shelve the car thoughts till I return.
Thanks a million @skywalker
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gentlepal: 12:23am On Jan 04, 2013
hello pal i have an offer to study MBA in London south bank University.pls who knows abt de school n accomodation in de area?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by omopapa: 12:02am On Jan 05, 2013
peteafrik88:

grin grin carpentry...Dude i feel u jare! Same is applicable to me i'm dis restless type dnt like sitting in a place. Sky-walker gave d best advise care job is common n a faster way to get job. wish u all d best
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
omopapa:

grin grin carpentry...Dude i feel u jare! Same is applicable to me i'm dis restless type dnt like sitting in a place. Sky-walker gave d best advise care job is common n a faster way to get job. wish u all d best

Boss, I dey tel you. But God dey sha, when I arrive we go see how to handle the situation.
Are you in UoP?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by eiete(f): 9:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
gonon: Hi guys, I intend going for my Masters in Kingston University, its in Southwest London, in January. The problem I don't know what to take over there. Please I need your advice on whether I should do my shopping here in Nigeria or over there? Secondly, what do I need to take there, from Naija? Thirdly, I intend to cook when I get there, where do I go to get cheap foodstuffs?
gonon: Guys, just arrived the UK. The cold is on point. Na so so chicken for everything, fish expensive. Well thank God for everything tho

Hello Gonon

I was reading this topic in this section when your post caught my attention, because KU used to be my university and I live in the borough of Kingston upon Thames.
Firstly i should say welcome to the UK. I hope you are settling in very well and the cold is not too much of a problem for you.
Well there are lots of places in South and South East London where you can get African/ nigerian foods. You can also get them cheaply in West Croydon or if you don't want to go that far yet you can get them as well in Tooting. From Kingston town you can get the Bus 57 or 131 that will take you to tooting broadway.
If you do need any help just PM.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by omopapa: 10:46am On Jan 06, 2013
peteafrik88:

Boss, I dey tel you. But God dey sha, when I arrive we go see how to handle the situation.
Are you in UoP?

All the best brov, nope i dey wolves bt dey shuttle btw wolves n birmingham
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:56am On Jan 09, 2013
CHEAP ACCOMMODATION IN PORTSMOUTH!!! I need a help cos the ones I tried finding are too expensive.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 11:14am On Jan 09, 2013
peteafrik88: CHEAP ACCOMMODATION IN PORTSMOUTH!!! I need a help cos the ones I tried finding are too expensive.

How much are the ones u seeing? Are you in the UK already?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 11:40am On Jan 09, 2013
Sky-walker:

How much are the ones u seeing? Are you in the UK already?

I am not yet in Uk, hope to be by te end of the month. The ones I saw ranges from £3000 - £4000 and that looks very expensive.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2013
peteafrik88:

I am not yet in Uk, hope to be by te end of the month. The ones I saw ranges from £3000 - £4000 and that looks very expensive.

Well thats roughly the price per year but you can get some cheaper though like £220-£250 per month. You could search here

www.spareroom.co.uk
www.gumtree.com/flatshare-offered/portsmouth

you can get shared accomodation cheaply here and you most likely avoid paying agent fees as most of them are direct from landlord.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:41pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sky-walker:

Well thats roughly the price per year but you can get some cheaper though like £220-£250 per month. You could search here

www.spareroom.co.uk
www.gumtree.com/flatshare-offered/portsmouth

you can get shared accomodation cheaply here and you most likely avoid paying agent fees as most of them are direct from landlord.

Thanx boss.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 12:56pm On Jan 10, 2013
Good day all,
please I have admission to study MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering at University of Leeds and my total anticipated expenses is around £24,000 (say #7m). My major challenge, however, is funding; infact I had to defer my admission from Sept., 2012 to Sept., 2013.
I wouldn't mind to obtain a loan to cover my study. Hence, anybody willing to grant me such loan or has a useful connection should please contact me. I'll be paying the loan back in a period of 1 1/2-2 years with a reasonable interest rate.
SCAMMERS PLEASE BE CAREFUL, I only want genuine and straight forward individuals.
Thank you for you comments.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by darellrivers: 7:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
presiade: Good day all,
please I have admission to study MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering at University of Leeds and my total anticipated expenses is around £24,000 (say #7m). My major challenge, however, is funding; infact I had to defer my admission from Sept., 2012 to Sept., 2013.
I wouldn't mind to obtain a loan to cover my study. Hence, anybody willing to grant me such loan or has a useful connection should please contact me. I'll be paying the loan back in a period of 1 1/2-2 years with a reasonable interest rate.
SCAMMERS PLEASE BE CAREFUL, I only want genuine and straight forward individuals.
Thank you for you comments.

Why would you want a loan for masters? are you sure of a job when you finish? You do not have to do the masters in the UK. Try Germany! They do have great Engineering programs there and you can school there for almost nothing! Please, try not to take a loan to go to school! EXCEPT YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU WOULD GET A GREAT JOB WITH IT!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 9:36am On Jan 14, 2013
@Darellriver; I appreciate, I'll consider Germany as well, but I just prefer UK for personal reasons.
Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
PLEASE BROTHER'S I WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY CHEAP UNIVERSITY OR COLLAGE IN UK PAYING LESS THAT 1M NAIRA AND IF THERE IS ANY SCHOLARSHIP AS A STUDENT THERE?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 2:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
ik.swiss:
PLEASE BROTHER'S I WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY CHEAP UNIVERSITY OR COLLAGE IN UK PAYING LESS THAT 1M NAIRA AND IF THERE IS ANY SCHOLARSHIP AS A STUDENT THERE?

I'm tempted to jump at a conclusion, but to start with, are you looking at undergraduate or postgraduate?

Be specific, less than 1M could be 200k you know smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dehonourable: 6:51pm On Jan 17, 2013
Am new on d forum but honestly I found it vry educatn. My questn are: are there any engineering unis in uk dat charge tuitn fee £9,000 for Msc Eng. Secondly, wot's d duration for student visa?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 7:26pm On Jan 17, 2013
Dehonourable: Am new on d forum but honestly I found it vry educatn. My questn are: are there any engineering unis in uk dat charge tuitn fee £9,000 for Msc Eng. Secondly, wot's d duration for student visa?

Ermmn... for Engineering, I'm not sure, but I think it's usually between £10500-15000. You might be lucky to get some sort of partial (automatic) international Students' scholarship, usually between £500-1000. Be informed that some Unis could be really stingy. I suggest you peruse websites for different Unis.

The duration for most MSc program is 12months, duration of visa for such programs is usually between 15-17months.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
undergraduate
FutureDon:

I'm tempted to jump at a conclusion, but to start with, are you looking at undergraduate or postgraduate?

Be specific, less than 1M could be 200k you know smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dehonourable: 10:30pm On Jan 18, 2013
cry@ Future don, Tanx alots. But wot kind of part time jobs can a lady do in Uk?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 12:14am On Jan 19, 2013
^^^^^Hmmn, I'm not really enlightened in that area o as I'm not a lady smiley, but general jobs include cleaning, sales, attendants, etc etc. Those jobs are not automatic though, so be prepared; talking from experience lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2013
^^
Guy, you no tell am say a lady fit do part-time masseuse work and make like £80/hour. 'Happy ending' will incur an additional charge. That's good and easy money for female students oh! grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Alberta12(m): 10:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dehonourable: 11:55pm On Jan 20, 2013
P Claramont, which one be part time masseuse work?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dehonourable: 12:06am On Jan 21, 2013
Is like pple ar no longa going to Uk for studies mehn d populations hav drastically reduce to minimum. Hmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:20am On Jan 21, 2013
Alberta_12: Hello House,
PLEASE WHICH AIRPORT IS CLOSEST TO COVENTRY UNIVERSITY LONDON CAMPUS ? IS IS HEATHROW OR LONDON CITY AIRPORT ?

city airport is closer but getting connecting flights into the airport depends on where you're coming from
it serves mainly European cities

transportation links via Heathrow and city are very good
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by darellrivers: 3:38am On Jan 23, 2013
Dehonourable: Am new on d forum but honestly I found it vry educatn. My questn are: are there any engineering unis in uk dat charge tuitn fee £9,000 for Msc Eng. Secondly, wot's d duration for student visa?

Dehonourable, If you have a first class or a very high 2-1 from your undergrad, you can apply to OXFORD University (and CAMBRIDGE)!! Tuition is very expensive (for my course it is about £30,000) but scholarships (full scholarships- tuition+Living expenses)abound and most times you are automatically considered!

The bigger the school, the less interested they are in your money!!!!! UNIVERSAL PRINCIPLE!

Cheers and all the best

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.