Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,509 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809887 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by moonraker(m): 5:38am On Mar 06, 2012
temi777:

We  Nigerians and our one way thinking. Yes there are jobs in UK for international students we just dont see them or rather our one way thinking dont make it possible. I only share this with my family members before but I am so annoyed I will share it with you. If you are coming here please learn a trade in Naija before coming-capentary,tailoring,barbing,plumbing,roadside mechanics -These things will make you rich even as a student in UK . A mechanic will earn at least £200 a day, plumbers sometimes £70 an hour , who do you think cuts the black people's hair in UK? but the problem is that people come with the mindset that they want to get job in Tesco alongside their studies. no come with these skills and you will be very ok or otherwise pass your driving test and become a courier or sell things in the market. just think damn out of the box . I self sponsored for 4 years in UK and im now a British citizen since long ago .
If you are ready to pay consultancy to me mehhn your landing will be smooth. Self ive divulged too much, lol, that's a joke but i like to help. UK is still dripping with money just change your mindset and learn the street a bit. selah

The aforementioned jobs are not even being monitored by the government so technically you can do 100 hours a week if you like and nobody can prove it . A friend's wife sells Marykay self and makes big bucks. stop your working in Tesco mentality and UK will be nice for you. peace
Think about this-my mechanic in Hackney told  one day  bros I bought two houses cash . Noone bothers with him because the government cannot monitor them and things are done under the table. Im a software engineer but studying in UK is far better than studying in America and Canada and you are likely to get your kpali if you know how to play  the system without anything fraudulent self. All the people shouting UK no get job should wake up if they want to come and learn from my advice. Now where is my consultancy fee NAIRALANDERS?

I cant shout!!!! Life is only difficult once you think it is,

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ritux: 9:06am On Mar 06, 2012
temi777:

We  Nigerians and our one way thinking. Yes there are jobs in UK for international students we just dont see them or rather our one way thinking dont make it possible. I only share this with my family members before but I am so annoyed I will share it with you. If you are coming here please learn a trade in Naija before coming-capentary,tailoring,barbing,plumbing,roadside mechanics -These things will make you rich even as a student in UK . A mechanic will earn at least £200 a day, plumbers sometimes £70 an hour , who do you think cuts the black people's hair in UK? but the problem is that people come with the mindset that they want to get job in Tesco alongside their studies. no come with these skills and you will be very ok or otherwise pass your driving test and become a courier or sell things in the market. just think damn out of the box . I self sponsored for 4 years in UK and im now a British citizen since long ago .
If you are ready to pay consultancy to me mehhn your landing will be smooth. Self ive divulged too much, lol, that's a joke but i like to help. UK is still dripping with money just change your mindset and learn the street a bit. selah

The aforementioned jobs are not even being monitored by the government so technically you can do 100 hours a week if you like and nobody can prove it . A friend's wife sells Marykay self and makes big bucks. stop your working in Tesco mentality and UK will be nice for you. peace
Think about this-my mechanic in Hackney told  one day  bros I bought two houses cash . Noone bothers with him because the government cannot monitor them and things are done under the table. Im a software engineer but studying in UK is far better than studying in America and Canada and you are likely to get your kpali if you know how to play  the system without anything fraudulent self. All the people shouting UK no get job should wake up if they want to come and learn from my advice. Now where is my consultancy fee NAIRALANDERS?

100% correct. i spend £8 each time i go cut my hair. there are so many jobs posted on job center plus daily. Also, my gf fixes weavon for £15. So if you can learn a handwork most especially the plumber stuff, you can make it big.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by yemmyma: 10:13am On Mar 06, 2012
Why does everyone want to die in the U.K? Why don't you try some other european countries?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:23am On Mar 06, 2012
banky1987:

Hi Guys, though have never been to UK but I have this friend of mine that travel for the first time this January and she was detained by immigration officals this is march now they didnt realease and her papers was complete, what could be wrong

Do you know why she was detained? They can't detain her for no reason.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:30am On Mar 06, 2012
ritux:

100% correct. i spend £8 each time i go cut my hair. there are so many jobs posted on job center plus daily. Also, my gf fixes weavon for £15. So if you can learn a handwork most especially the plumber stuff, you can make it big.

Don't go around saying that alot before you get your gf nicked as foreign students are not allowed to run a business no matter how small, only if your gf is employed by somebody and earns salary. If she is been paid cash-in hand then she is expected to pay NL and tax.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by heryyy(m): 1:25pm On Mar 06, 2012
My personal experience:

I came to the uk on a 3yrs student visa (South chelsea college),when i got here went straight to college to register and pay my school fee,few months of study i noticed the college is nothing but crap (Please when applying for college in the uk i beg of you avoid this college as they are nothing but scammers,no lecture going on they just want your money,been there for almost 3yrs now with no single exam,if you don't pay school fee they threatened you with immigration)i got fed up and starts looking for a job as i'm self sponsored,looked everywhere with no luck

Eventually a friend told me the easy way to get a job in london is to go for a training job i.e you must pay money for training course and he linked me up with an agency that works for london underground to clean trains

I did the training for a total of £700 pounds (London underground entry permit and Depot Track Competent Person),as soon as i the training i got a job straight away,i started cleaning trains,i will say it's the hardest job in london

Eventually after 1 and a half year i got fedup as my health couldnt cope with the hard labour and stress anymore,i left with no single savings all gone towards bills and feeding

Got another 2hrs job at the new westfield shopping centre in stratford (Zara Store)

I must say uk is very very hard for people who wants to come here with no sponsorer please think again

I've been here for almost 3yrs with nothing to show for it,it makes me sad and cries sometimes cos i never planed it this way,going back home is out of question,would have been better if my college was a good one atleast i will get a qualification and i've got no where to stay,my dad is late and mom is looking up to me at the moment i feel hopeless,i was doing fine back home before i came here to better myself, but God knows best

As for cheap cards to call home i think the best at the moment is the new sim card called iCard Mobile they charge 3pence per min to call mobile and 1p for landlines for those who are interested should google it

Overall please if you don't have a sponsorer look somewhere else than uk

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iseg007(m): 3:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
@ Justwise, Keep on giving the right advise as you have help soo many people including a few friends i know on NL.

My own experience

I came to the UK in 2008 and i had a PLAN, i did masters in Technology Mgmt, one thing i made sure of was to pay my school fees and that was very important. £13500 (no be small money ooo) and came into the country with only £2000. One thing i did was to talk to alot of pple who were already in the UK as what the best job to go for and also where to live, I did my reasearch beforehand and made a plan. Luckily I had an uncle living in south london, so they took me in, but when they turn me into houseboy and i was sleeping on the floor and to read was a problem because they expect you to cook, clean, bath their children and all other house chores. It got to a point they were passing me to other inlaws that i was not even related to, I then knew it was time to leave.
But during this period i applied to every single job you can imagine, I did Cleaning, Work in a hotel as "Room service" (What did i not see!!), Labourer (Imagine bricklayers that i use to look at them like shit, I now began the one carrying bags of cement up and down grin grin), i worked in asda and Tescos, WHAT DID I NOT DO TO SURVIVE, at the end of the day i was only going home with £150 a week. sad and i was doing more than 20 hours a week.

Luckily because i had a plan i was saving like crazy, and how did i do it

- I did not go Clubbing at all, you see naija students working 25hrs and then finish all the money on two bottles of Moet, SHM
- I did not have a girlfriend (but some few away much), having a girlfriend requires a lot, Time, energy and Money,
- I had a budget every month for food and once in a while by cloths. (Primark na my Thomas Pink )
- I neva bought any books as I used only library books
- I got a sim-only contract so i was paying £10 a month for my fone
- I moved to a shared house where i was paying £250 for a single room (All inclusive)

But it was not easy, you had to see how naija pple were treating me like an outcast, like i don't belong. because I did not act they way they did, I had friend who will put nice pictures on facebook wearing so very expensive clothes with white babes drinking moet, then 3 days after they will come to my house to beg for £5, enough said

I was able to save about £2500 at the end of my masters, luckily i got the PSW and then went on to do alot of IT certifications, Now I am working with a top America IT company.

- You have to have a Plan
- Mix with the right people
- Don't be like some people who will be hoarding information, learn to share.
- Be Very FOCUS
- Do not go into a relationship if you can not afford it, with regards to time, money and energy.
- As JUSTWISE said ensure you pay you fees from naija, dont try and come to the UK to work and pay fees because u will SUFFER
- Dont go and be poping Moet when you are cleaning tolilet or buying Gucci shoes, expect you want to do fraud and trust me you will be caught.
- Learn how to save, even if it is £1 a week, try,

Learning a trade is another way to go forward, as you can truly make a lot of money, but again be focus and learn.

There is also the UK experience wahala when looking for a Job(Gist for later)

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kushi1: 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2012
ritux:

REALLY?!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
iseg007:

@ Justwise, Keep on giving the right advise as you have help soo many people including a few friends i know on NL.

My own experience

I came to the UK in 2008 and i had a PLAN, i did masters in Technology Mgmt, one thing i made sure of was to pay my school fees and that was very important. £13500 (no be small money ooo) and came into the country with only £2000. One thing i did was to talk to alot of pple who were already in the UK as what the best job to go for and also where to live, I did my reasearch beforehand and made a plan. Luckily I had an uncle living in south london, so they took me in, but when they turn me into houseboy and i was sleeping on the floor and to read was a problem because they expect you to cook, clean, bath their children and all other house chores. It got to a point they were passing me to other inlaws that i was not even related to, I then knew it was time to leave.
But during this period i applied to every single job you can imagine, I did Cleaning, Work in a hotel as "Room service" (What did i not see!!), Labourer (Imagine bricklayers that i use to look at them like poo, I now began the one carrying bags of cement up and down grin grin), i worked in asda and Tescos, WHAT DID I NOT DO TO SURVIVE, at the end of the day i was only going home with £150 a week. sad and i was doing more than 20 hours a week.

Luckily because i had a plan i was saving like crazy, and how did i do it

- I did not go Clubbing at all, you see naija students working 25hrs and then finish all the money on two bottles of Moet, SHM
- I did not have a girlfriend (but some few away much), having a girlfriend requires a lot, Time, energy and Money,
- I had a budget every month for food and once in a while by cloths. (Primark na my Thomas Pink )
- I neva bought any books as I used only library books
- I got a sim-only contract so i was paying £10 a month for my fone
- I moved to a shared house where i was paying £250 for a single room (All inclusive)

But it was not easy, you had to see how naija pple were treating me like an outcast, like i don't belong. because I did not act they way they did, I had friend who will put nice pictures on facebook wearing so very expensive clothes with white babes drinking moet, then 3 days after they will come to my house to beg for £5, enough said

I was able to save about £2500 at the end of my masters, luckily i got the PSW and then went on to do alot of IT certifications, Now I am working with a top America IT company.

- You have to have a Plan
- Mix with the right people
- Don't be like some people who will be hoarding information, learn to share.
- Be Very FOCUS
- Do not go into a relationship if you can not afford it, with regards to time, money and energy.
- As JUSTWISE said ensure you pay you fees from naija, dont try and come to the UK to work and pay fees because u will SUFFER
- Dont go and be poping Moet when you are cleaning tolilet or buying Gucci shoes, expect you want to do fraud and trust me you will be caught.
- Learn how to save, even if it is £1 a week, try,

Learning a trade is another way to go forward, as you can truly make a lot of money, but again be focus and learn.

There is also the UK experience wahala when looking for a Job(Gist for later)

Really happy to read from you, you kept focused and it pays up, congrat and good luck with your future plans.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tunnytox(m): 11:02pm On Mar 06, 2012
temi777:

100% on point! hairdressers also make a lot of money, I personnaly know a lady sponsoring her husband and looking after their 2 children all from the proceeds of haidressing. When i visited Canada about 2 years with my wife she made braidings for my friend's wife, she was so happy and very thankful she said it could costs her up to $100 to get such a hair do in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 11:27pm On Mar 06, 2012
ritux:

mr justwise, i get your point but at the same time, it depends on what you mean by being prepared financially. i am not the type who spend extravagantly. i actually came to the UK with £4500 as my maintenance money to cover me till august when i will round up the program. last year i did not work because i wanted to see how my result will be like and like i said earlier, i had three A and one B. i had friends working since sept when we came in and they also did well. Between sept and dec i spent less than £1500. i buy food stuffs like garri, indomine, plantain and and stuffs to cook soup from the african shop though a little bit expensive but stuffs like onion, chicken, veg oil, eggs, tomatoes etc i get them from asda and tesco which are of reasonable price far better than the price i will get them from the african shop. the point i am trying to make here is that i dont spend up to £30 in feeding for a week and I work £74.4 every week for 12hrs.

though i will not advice anyone to come here without paying your tuition fee and getting were to stay.
guy wetin U dey eat with £30 a week?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:01am On Mar 07, 2012
i'm i was to pursue my Masters education in the Uk later this year but all what i got here's been nothing but scary. cry cry i catch cold. . .May be i put the money into business or something else undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:59pm On Mar 07, 2012
kay-one:

i'm i was to pursue my Masters education in the Uk later this year but all what i got here's been nothing but scary. cry cry i catch cold. . .May be i put the money into business or something else undecided undecided undecided

I think the message is clear, nobody is trying to scare you, if you have your money to cover the fees and accommodation then you will have fun studying in the UK, if the opposite is the case then its gamble.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sandysprax(m): 10:48pm On Mar 07, 2012
kay-one:

From a bro to a bro.If u are certain u will make it in that business, go for it.If only my father agreed to gimme all the money for my studies in hand, i would have started my own coy.After my studies here, i am prolly going to keep my certificate aside and pursue entrepreneurship
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 9:44am On Mar 10, 2012
shocked ritux give me your girlfriends number now now!!! she will be fixing my hair on a weekly basis!!! my life im spending 50 pounds on weave and there are services for 15! i will not miss! contact me asap! lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lifestyle1(m): 1:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
Networking!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
let me see how to survive on 30pounds per week?

No chinese or lebanese takeouts
Buy all drinks in large bottles and fill out small bottles to take around during the day
Buy snacks in bulk to take around during the day
No sandwich or coffee shops

Main meals are at home

30pounds too much sef for feeding

I dont even live there yet but after all these trips as tourist me sef no how to work budget

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 3:38pm On Mar 20, 2012
keep it coming guys

Well done
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by denzel2009: 4:17pm On Mar 20, 2012
FEMARY1: Nawa oo .Everybody is just crying here.Yet no report of students droping out because of fees or people sleeping on the streets because of colds.
Virtually every is saying dont come.And yet they are not leaving the UK.

People are suffering oh don't be deceived! Even some are running mad, it's just that they don't walk nake[i]d[/i] cos of cold.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by denzel2009: 4:35pm On Mar 20, 2012
salsera: let me see how to survive on 30pounds per week?

Buy all drinks in large bottles and fill out small bottles to take around during the day

Main meals are at home

I dont even live there yet but after all these trips as tourist me sef no how to work budget

Yeah...go to lidl, aldi, netto you'll be strong like Germans

buy box of chicken and box of pepper

Dont go to waitrose and M&S for lunch. Don't drink coffee at starbucks or pret-a-manger

They sell akamu in Peckham and moin moin buy and put in the fridge. Take food to work!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Pennywise(m): 4:54pm On Mar 20, 2012
My personal experience:

I came to the uk on a 3yrs student visa (South chelsea college),when i got here went straight to college to register and pay my school fee,few months of study i noticed the college is nothing but crap (Please when applying for college in the uk i beg of you avoid this college as they are nothing but scammers,no lecture going on they just want your money,been there for almost 3yrs now with no single exam,if you don't pay school fee they threatened you with immigration)i got fed up and starts looking for a job as i'm self sponsored,looked everywhere with no luck

Eventually a friend told me the easy way to get a job in london is to go for a training job i.e you must pay money for training course and he linked me up with an agency that works for london underground to clean trains

I did the training for a total of £700 pounds (London underground entry permit and Depot Track Competent Person),as soon as i the training i got a job straight away,i started cleaning trains,i will say it's the hardest job in london

Eventually after 1 and a half year i got fedup as my health couldnt cope with the hard labour and stress anymore,i left with no single savings all gone towards bills and feeding

Got another 2hrs job at the new westfield shopping centre in stratford (Zara Store)

I must say uk is very very hard for people who wants to come here with no sponsorer please think again

I've been here for almost 3yrs with nothing to show for it,it makes me sad and cries sometimes cos i never planed it this way,going back home is out of question,would have been better if my college was a good one atleast i will get a qualification and i've got no where to stay,my dad is late and mom is looking up to me at the moment i feel hopeless,i was doing fine back home before i came here to better myself, but God knows best

As for cheap cards to call home i think the best at the moment is the new sim card called iCard Mobile they charge 3pence per min to call mobile and 1p for landlines for those who are interested should google it

Overall please if you don't have a sponsorer look somewhere else than uk

There is so much to learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing.A certain lady comes to mind. She is going through the same ordeal. Real hard work that is socially beneath her, yet with little or no money to show for it. With no real certificate, coming back to naija is not an option and the years just keep rolling by. Being an unmarried lady puts her in an even more difficult situation than you.

It pays to see it all as a bad business. At some point like in any bad business, you consider cutting your loss and moving on.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
just check the difference between ise007's 'plan' and heryyy's 'adventure'

dis damn new NL is doing my head in!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BrandonCarter: 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2012
UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe' The UK is now officially the worst place to live in Europe, with people getting a "raw deal" on quality of life ...

Safaris in Kenya
safaris in Zambia
Madagascar holidays
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tunnytox(m): 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2012
BrandonCarter: UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe' The UK is now officially the worst place to live in Europe, with people getting a "raw deal" on quality of life ...

Fair enough, stay where you then and stop whinging
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:33pm On Mar 27, 2012
BrandonCarter: UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe' The UK is now officially the worst place to live in Europe, with people getting a "raw deal" on quality of life ...

Don't worry you will not be forced to move to the UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 9:13am On Mar 30, 2012
salsera: let me see how to survive on 30pounds per week?

Main meals are at home

30 pounds a week?! Are you kidding me? I don't think it's possible to survive on less than 100 pounds a week. Except you want to look drawn. You want to start buying those tasteless chicken, abi? What about fruits? How many do you eat/day? Abeg jare.

Come back here let's do the maths. undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:35am On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one:
30 pounds a week?! Are you kidding me? I don't think it's possible to survive on less than 100 pounds a week. Except you want to look drawn. You want to start buying those tasteless chicken, abi? What about fruits? How many do you eat/day? Abeg jare.

Come back here let's do the maths. undecided

£100 a week for how many people? What type of food will you be spending £100 a week buying? Do you shop at Harrods?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 9:51am On Mar 30, 2012
justwise:

£100 a week for how many people? What type of food will you be spending £100 a week buying? Do you shop in Harrods?
Okay, how much do you spend a week? How much do spend on fruits? How much meat/fish/yam/etc do you buy a week?
Besides, do you eat at home 24/7? Do you take your soup full of locust beans to work/college?
You don't buy coffee/tea/water in shops at all no matter how cold/thirsty you are? You don't eat out at all - no matter what?
How much do you expend at your local Sainsbury's/Asda/week? Do you drink only concentrate juice/etc?

I really need you to explain?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 9:59am On Mar 30, 2012
A medium cup of coffee at Costa is about 3 pounds. Even the cheapest oulets will still set you back at least 1.50 pounds. Don't tell me you have never bought coffee in any of these shops. undecided
Once a week visit to a Nigerian restaurant will cost you at least 12 pounds. Even your local pub (And I sulk at alcohol, so I don't). Or you simply don't socialize?

Twice a week dining out in your college will at least cost you 8 pounds. You can't live on bags of crips everyday let's be sincere, guys.
How much do you spend on Elubo/Poundo/Gari/Red Oil/Maggi/Vegetables/etc? Ask those who visit Macdo/KFC/etc (I don't), a meal there will set you back 'bout 4 pounds. So, how do you do it?
C'mon bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by odeexpress(m): 11:11am On Mar 30, 2012
No Wee: Could someone please tell me more about the MTN number I should ask the person I call frequently through Lyca and Lebara to get so that I can call with 1p per minute? Must the MTN number start with 08100 or 081 plus any other number?

The MTN number must begin with 0810 to enable you call at 1p

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.