Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,417 members, 7,830,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (813182 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2012
salsera: Justwise

It might be a good idea, I'm with a relative right now and do you know that local african restaurants sell manner of pots of soup
Edikaikon
Gbegiri ati ewedu
Vegetable
Atamase sauce

This is what they buy like they are buying microwave dinners at Iceland

Food ... Regardless of the economy always sells
grin grin grin grin you are really serious about this
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:52am On Sep 01, 2012
salsera: Justwise

It might be a good idea, I'm with a relative right now and do you know that local african restaurants sell manner of pots of soup
Edikaikon
Gbegiri ati ewedu
Vegetable
Atamase sauce

This is what they buy like they are buying microwave dinners at Iceland

Food ... Regardless of the economy always sells

No peppersoup! How can you be thinking of starting an african/Nigerian restaurant and no option for peppersoup.gringringrin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 01, 2012
Don
Hw can I forget peppersoup

I brought peppersoup ingredients and suya pepper too wink

Just kidding abt the restaurant oh

But I miss Nigeria really quickly and food is the way to cure it. My sister are forever trading food recipes
NexT thing to conquer is Nkwobi
But that will be when I settle in

Asides that I plan to learn at least one foreign dish a month incl english trad dishes.

I need to stop talkg food (its making me hungry)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2012
justwise:

You two should team up and open African restaurant grin grin

Lol! We could, food always sells! grin. My friend tells his friend's mum to make bowls of stew for him and he pays 50kpons +! No padi for jungle. Lol!

@salsera: good point about yam and humid condition. Didn't think of that. Plantain is aight tho, yes?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 1:54pm On Sep 01, 2012
salsera: Don
Hw can I forget peppersoup

I brought peppersoup ingredients and suya pepper too wink

Just kidding abt the restaurant oh

But I miss Nigeria really quickly and food is the way to cure it. My sister are forever trading food recipes
NexT thing to conquer is Nkwobi
But that will be when I settle in

Asides that I plan to learn at least one foreign dish a month incl english trad dishes.

I need to stop talkg food (its making me hungry)

With all my bragging and list, my best food is indomie and plantain. Never tried peppersoup but re foreign food, one hot item on my to-try list is Lasagne. Lol.

Please let me calm down and apply first.embarassed. All the best as you settle in.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 01, 2012
Plantain ke

Only plantain chips

Dont bring the other type - e boku for here
You know west indians eat plantains too -
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2012
salsera: Plantain ke

Only plantain chips

Dont bring the other type - e boku for here
You know west indians eat plantains too -

Yea true. I think its just a case of bringing as much as I possibly can (my clothes won't fill all the boxes so why not grin) and stretching out my naija taste for as long as I can plus the plantain I used to buy (in uk) weren't all dat. Sometimes small scrawny pieces.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 06, 2012
How does students now survive without psw in the ukpl
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 07, 2012
werepeLeri: Was on fully paid for scholarship - so had no probs with the above. But it could be hell for self sponsored students bros.

Part time jobs may be hard these days - when full graduates are even out there unemployed

hmmm - unless you stay in the school hostel, else no accommodation is cheap

that one is the easiest na. - so many calling cards out there.
How did you get your full scholarship please
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tennyalad(m): 10:47pm On Sep 14, 2012
Any one studying BIS at RHUL MSc programme?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shemy: 11:36am On Sep 16, 2012
Hi, mine is Masters in information security,when will you be going?Are you staying in School accomodation?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Estico: 12:37pm On Sep 18, 2012
Is it better to live in the school hostel or in a private accommodation? I paid deposit for 2 rooms becasue i had wanted to go with my kids but their entry clearance didn't work out. I just need one room now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olupraise: 6:16am On Sep 22, 2012
Good morning house,

I wish to know how international students work more than 20hrs a week. For example days that are lecture free, you could probably use to do some extra hours. Please how is it done. Pls no insults just asking a question. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 7:08am On Sep 22, 2012
Olupraise: Good morning house,

I wish to know how international students work more than 20hrs a week. For example days that are lecture free, you could probably use to do some extra hours. Please how is it done. Pls no insults just asking a question. Thanks.

days that are lecture free are for independent studies and research, you can work extra hours on holidays

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 25, 2012
@justwise? Please, i will be living by October an i will like to know if trading forex is legal for international students b/4 i get part time job or can i take part time job and forex trade together. Your humble opinion is highly needed because, i don't want to be deported unnecessarily because of the so many rules on ground now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
fados4sure: @justwise? Please, i will be living by October an i will like to know if trading forex is legal for international students b/4 i get part time job or can i take part time job and forex trade together. Your humble opinion is highly needed because, i don't want to be deported unnecessarily because of the so many rules on ground now.

Forex trading is a job, taking it together with other part-time job 'could' get you in trouble.

Honestly....avoid anything that will draw unnecessary attention to you. You should be more than ok with your maintenance money plus part time job
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
What if you do it with your 'nigerian' account?

considering you are probably registered as a nigerian trader with income not linked to the UK, like having an offshore business
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
justwise:

Forex trading is a job, taking it together with other part-time job 'could' get you in trouble.

Honestly....avoid anything that will draw unnecessary attention to you. You should be more than ok with your maintenance money plus part time job
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bagsland(m): 7:46am On Sep 28, 2012
everything seems that expensive nowadays it is not easy to afford if self sponsored graduate out there in the Uk or US.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 28, 2012
Dis Guy:

days that are lecture free are for independent studies and research, you can work extra hours on holidays

I have heard this too but I still don't understand how it works or whether it makes sense especially to those planning to remain in the UK after studies.
My understanding of the NI number is that it is used for tax records. This means the number of your hours you worked will be logged on. I'm sure the process doesn't recognize during school hours or holiday hours. So, how can you work more during holidays? Unless the additional hours wont be reflected in your records or you're paid in cash without any documentation.

Also there are many Nigerians here in Aberdeen but from what I have seen so far only few get very good jobs. I guess that's the reality anyway cos of the recession and all that. But the work wey guys they do grin grin grin after MSC d thing tire me grin grin grin....Work they would never do if they were in Naija and all that...Why not just go back home..na talk for another thread be that

Before the floodgates open and I'm accused of not respecting the dignity in any Labour I don't have issues with doing any kind of legitimate menial part time work during full study. But if after spending almost 4M and completing your degree, and those kinds of jobs are what one is still staying behind to do in the UK then it doesn't look right to me. My opinion anyways smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
Donxavier:

I have heard this too but I still don't understand how it works or whether it makes sense especially to those planning to remain in the UK after studies.
My understanding of the NI number is that it is used for tax records. This means the number of your hours you worked will be logged on. I'm sure the process doesn't recognize during school hours or holiday hours. So, how can you work more during holidays? Unless the additional hours wont be reflected in your records or you're paid in cash without any documentation.

Also there are many Nigerians here in Aberdeen but from what I have seen so far only few get very good jobs. I guess that's the reality anyway cos of the recession and all that. But the work wey guys they do grin grin grin after MSC d thing tire me grin grin grin....Work they would never do if they were in Naija and all that...Why not just go back home..na talk for another thread be that

Before the floodgates open and I'm accused of not respecting the dignity in any Labour I don't have issues with doing any kind of legitimate menial part time work during full study. But if after spending almost 4M and completing your degree, and those kinds of jobs are what one is still staying behind to do in the UK then it doesn't look right to me. My opinion anyways smiley

I'm not sure how it works too, but thats the general advise, not like they will come and drag you out of class or on the street, but you can generally have an idea of how many hours some one thats expected to be a student is working by his/her wages and tax records and when you're submitting documents for extensions or something else it will be quite obvious what periods are term time and holidays

Those doing menial roles several years after their studies obviously didnt come with a Plan B, but then again some people dont really know what they want after studying they just follow the wind
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Oyibopepper: 3:49pm On Sep 28, 2012
[quote author=jantil][/quote]

Hmmmmm. True. But I read somewhere that u can't be self-employed with a tier 4 visa. I was thinking of doing the hair biz (has been my thing) but this piece of info got me scared. Did I misunderstand what I read? I mean is this true?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ayoadeade1: 4:17pm On Sep 29, 2012
Oyibopepper:

Hmmmmm. True. But I read somewhere that u can't be self-employed with a tier 4 visa. I was thinking of doing the hair biz (has been my thing) but this piece of info got me scared. Did I misunderstand what I read? I mean is this true?

My dear friend, you cannot be self-employed while studying in the UK as an international student, you are also only allowed work of 20hrs maximum in a week, If you do more, you are breaching your visa conditions and I suppose you know the implication if you get caught... Please try as much as possible to adhere to your visa conditions and be extremely careful if you 'must' go outside any rules in the UK.. you'll be fine here.. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ayoadeade1: 4:50pm On Sep 29, 2012
Donxavier:

Hello Pal, term-time allowed work hours for international students is 20 and there are no restrictions on holidays. yes, number of hours you work in a week is logged on to the NI but it is not linked to your school hence the system does not know if you are on holiday or not. It is up to you to stay within your visa limits. If you decide to do more, its up to you, but remember you are breaching your visa conditions and if caught, it means you are going home with some lengthy ban. If you decide to stay here after your studies, all you need to do is get the appropriate visa and you dont have to bother about NI or whatever. In reference to your observation Also there are many Nigerians here in Aberdeen but from what I have seen so far only few get very good jobs thats about right but if you play your cards right, you'll be fine. I live in Aberdeen too, I only arrived in the UK 02/2011, completed my degree here 06/2012 (had HND in Nigeria) and I now have a decent job ( over 500% increment compared to my salary as at 01/2011 ) . Your last paragraph sums up the fact that you have only been in the UK for a short time, I'm sure you'll get to understand how things run after a while.. you can trust me on that. If you need any further clarification on NI, etc please post here, i will check back and i'm also sure there are some good guys here who are always happy to help as well. by the way, do you know any Nigerian restaurant around? I moved here from London only two months ago and it has been pretty hard to get pounded yam and vegetable. Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Oyibopepper: 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2012
ayoade.ade:

My dear friend, you cannot be self-employed while studying in the UK as an international student, you are also only allowed work of 20hrs maximum in a week, If you do more, you are breaching your visa conditions and I suppose you know the implication if you get caught... Please try as much as possible to adhere to your visa conditions and be extremely careful if you 'must' go outside any rules in the UK.. you'll be fine here.. Cheers

Thank u. Better informed now. Its easy for one to erroneously think braiding one or two 'heads' for some extra change is not bad. Now i know better. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 29, 2012
ayoade.ade:

Hello Pal, term-time allowed work hours for international students is 20 and there are no restrictions on holidays. yes, number of hours you work in a week is logged on to the NI but it is not linked to your school hence the system does not know if you are on holiday or not. It is up to you to stay within your visa limits. If you decide to do more, its up to you, but remember you are breaching your visa conditions and if caught, it means you are going home with some lengthy ban. If you decide to stay here after your studies, all you need to do is get the appropriate visa and you dont have to bother about NI or whatever. In reference to your observation Also there are many Nigerians here in Aberdeen but from what I have seen so far only few get very good jobs thats about right but if you play your cards right, you'll be fine. I live in Aberdeen too, I only arrived in the UK 02/2011, completed my degree here 06/2012 (had HND in Nigeria) and I now have a decent job ( over 500% increment compared to my salary as at 01/2011 ) . Your last paragraph sums up the fact that you have only been in the UK for a short time, I'm sure you'll get to understand how things run after a while.. you can trust me on that. If you need any further clarification on NI, etc please post here, i will check back and i'm also sure there are some good guys here who are always happy to help as well. by the way, do you know any Nigerian restaurant around? I moved here from London only two months ago and it has been pretty hard to get pounded yam and vegetable. Cheers

Thanks bro for the insightful responses.

So I guess you really cant work more during holidays....that sums up what i was trying to clarify...since the system doesn't differentiate term time from holiday time

My last paragraph sums up my mentality. I can do menial work as part-time work as an international student still studying but not as a master's degree holder after the whole experience. What's the point? I would gladly return back to my father house in naija than clean the streets of Aberdeen after Msc if everything fails and i don't get a decent job.

I haven't heard of any Nigerian restaurant here, the closest to Nigerian food i have eaten was at an Indian restuarant very close to Woolmanhill. There are many Nigerian foodshops on George street though, that sell all kinds correct Nigerian foodstuff so you can have a feel of home.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ayoadeade1: 7:32pm On Sep 29, 2012
Donxavier,

You are allowed to work more hours when you are on holidays.. only on holidays. For example, if you happen to travel out of the UK while studying, on your return, you could be questioned at the border and that could lead to investigating your work record if the border officer doubts you are a genuine student here (Happened to a friend that travelled to Nigeria last November). If your NI shows you have been working 20hrs/wk or less, no problems, if more, the officer would definitely want to know the times you worked more, if on holidays, no problems, if not, trouble. I hope you get it now.. Nobody monitors your NI, but when there is likely to be an interface with the UKBA such as travelling, or may be switching visa and you need to apply etc, then it could be a problem so just stay within the limits.

I'm sure those you see with Msc cleaning/working in supermarkets/security guards etc. never thought they could be in the situation. You can't survive in the UK if you don't work. The bills will run you down so if you don't have support from home or elsewhere, you have to go out there. Renting a box room in London is nothing less than N70, 000 a month, discounted student oyster in London is N20, 000/m, feeding etc. will kill you if you don’t work. Aberdeen is quite cheaper but I tell you what, Most of these guys you see in those menial jobs are in it just to keep them alive till they get that professional job which in most cases is life changing, especially for those of us from the middle or lower class.

I have only been in my job for two months and I can tell you it’s worth the struggle, one just has to be careful not to get carried away. Like you said, if things aren’t looking good here, then go home. Thanks for the Info, I will have a drive to the city next week when I return, I work offshore so haven’t had time to see the city.

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 29, 2012
ayoade.ade:

Donxavier,

You are allowed to work more hours when you are on holidays.. only on holidays. For example, if you happen to travel out of the UK while studying, on your return, you could be questioned at the border and that could lead to investigating your work record if the border officer doubts you are a genuine student here (Happened to a friend that travelled to Nigeria last November). If your NI shows you have been working 20hrs/wk or less, no problems, if more, the officer would definitely want to know the times you worked more, if on holidays, no problems, if not, trouble. I hope you get it now.. Nobody monitors your NI, but when there is likely to be an interface with the UKBA such as travelling, or may be switching visa and you need to apply etc, then it could be a problem so just stay within the limits.

I'm sure those you see with Msc cleaning/working in supermarkets/security guards etc. never thought they could be in the situation. You can't survive in the UK if you don't work. The bills will run you down so if you don't have support from home or elsewhere, you have to go out there. Renting a box room in London is nothing less than N70, 000 a month, discounted student oyster in London is N20, 000/m, feeding etc. will kill you if you don’t work. Aberdeen is quite cheaper but I tell you what, Most of these guys you see in those menial jobs are in it just to keep them alive till they get that professional job which in most cases is life changing, especially for those of us from the middle or lower class.

I have only been in my job for two months and I can tell you it’s worth the struggle, one just has to be careful not to get carried away. Like you said, if things aren’t looking good here, then go home. Thanks for the Info, I will have a drive to the city next week when I return, I work offshore so haven’t had time to see the city.

Cheers

Thanks very much. You have pretty much summed everything up. Very concise answer. I have a big brother in London that also that worked as a security guard for the duration of his studies during his own time. We still laugh over it every now and then grin grin grin... but after his masters he got a decent job...
I just got in as you said and I just started searching part time work too. Hopefully I may get a cleaning job too grin grin grin that seems to be the easiest part time work to get...God help us all

it seems to me that school accommodation is still preferable for a fresh student as you wont run up bills. At least that is my own experience, My heater is turned on 24hours, even the light and my broadband is always connected. And it's cheap too. But off course I understand one cannot forever be in that type of residence.

And just holler men when next you are around, so you can do 'omo baba olowo' grin grin grin and carry me to KFC for brunch. wink

My regards.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ayoadeade1: 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2012
Donxavier:

Thanks very much. You have pretty much summed everything up. Very concise answer. I have a big brother in London that also that worked as a security guard for the duration of his studies during his own time. We still laugh over it every now and then grin grin grin... but after his masters he got a decent job...
I just got in as you said and I just started searching part time work too. Hopefully I may get a cleaning job too grin grin grin that seems to be the easiest part time work to get...God help us all

it seems to me that school accommodation is still preferable for a fresh student as you wont run up bills. At least that is my own experience, My heater is turned on 24hours, even the light and my broadband is always connected. And it's cheap too. But off course I understand one cannot forever be in that type of residence.

And just holler men when next you are around, so you can do 'omo baba olowo' grin grin grin and carry me to KFC for brunch. wink

My regards.

Nooooooo, don’t look for cleaning jobs alone o, or don't even look for it at all. If I were you and I still have enough money to sustain me for some time or support from home, I will look for supermarket jobs or a job of that nature, sounds funny but I will tell you why... You get to interact with lots of people on a regular basis, I will tell you what that does.. builds your confidence, develops the ethical skills needed for that professional job if you decide to stay after you grad, exposes you, improves your English (I mean Listening and Speaking not Reading and Writing o, you will agree with me there are millions of different accents out there, the Scottish accent is a big big headache for me personally) and of course meet people.. If you are the type that do booze and ladies, excellent place to work. The work hours is also flexible and suits students, when you are on holidays, you can easily increase your working hours.

Yes, I’d recommend hostel initially, if you get tired of it, you can move out to enjoy the city and nightlife. If you send me your Email, I would gladly accept your omo baba olowo parol if you decide to do it for me o..You are just coming from Naija, Fresh and fruity. Inbox me your email at u0951414@uel.ac.uk

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 29, 2012
ayoade.ade:

Nooooooo, don’t look for cleaning jobs alone o, or don't even look for it at all. If I were you and I still have enough money to sustain me for some time or support from home, I will look for supermarket jobs or a job of that nature, sounds funny but I will tell you why... You get to interact with lots of people on a regular basis, I will tell you what that does.. builds your confidence, develops the ethical skills needed for that professional job if you decide to stay after you grad, exposes you, improves your English (I mean Listening and Speaking not Reading and Writing o, you will agree with me there are millions of different accents out there, the Scottish accent is a big big headache for me personally) and of course meet people.. If you are the type that do booze and ladies, excellent place to work. The work hours is also flexible and suits students, when you are on holidays, you can easily increase your working hours.

Yes, I’d recommend hostel initially, if you get tired of it, you can move out to enjoy the city and nightlife. If you send me your Email, I would gladly accept your omo baba olowo parol if you decide to do it for me o..You are just coming from Naija, Fresh and fruity. Inbox me your email at u0951414@uel.ac.uk

See this bobo grin grin grin You are the one spending the money my bro grin grin grin grin
yeah, working in places like sainsbury,asda,tesco,cooperative food, farmfoods,argos.john lewis, debehamns,M&S and the likes... I get your drift
What about internships? did you do or know anyone who did?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ayoadeade1: 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2012
Yes, Internships first before supermarket jobs but they could be hard to get especially if you are a Post graduate student.. Just search everywhere searchable for job and experience. If you are an undergrad, you stand a better chance. I didn't do internship but most home students in my class did.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.