Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,482 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809878 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by anishe(m): 2:35pm On Mar 05, 2012
There is a lot of misinformation going on in Nairaland. I am presently studying in the UK and i have no reason whatsoever to regret my coming to the UK for studies.

Call to Nigeria Landlines is at the rate of 1P per minute. In fact, i had to ask my wife to get a Starcomm Line that starts with 01- for me to always communicate with her. I call my wife more than 10 ttimes a day because it is cheaper. Mind you, if u get starcomm that starts with 070 or any 080 or 081 number, the rate is 8p per minutes. Moreso, the service providers have been so generous. If you recharge £20 online, a bonus of £10 is to be added to your phone instantly.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ritux: 2:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
Every serious minded naija student should be able to survive academically over here in the UK becos the academic environment is very much okay. I graduated from UNIBEN with a 2.2 and my first semester result here, I made 3 As and 1 B. Currently in my second semester. I am self sponsored. Even though my parents have tried to provide me with good cash, I also work 12hrs per week part-time job cleaning job with a pay of £6.20 per hour i.e £74.4 every week .convert that to naira with 250 as exchange rate is 18,600 naira every week. with this cash, I dont get to use the money my parents gave me.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ritux: 3:00pm On Mar 05, 2012
I also try to learn how to eat their local food here because getting 9ja food from the african shops are pretty expensive. I use shops like asda, tesco which sell cheap stuffs. calling naija is very cheap using lebara but i heard lyca mobile is cheaper.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2012
anishe:

There is a lot of misinformation going on in Nairaland. I am presently studying in the UK and i have no reason whatsoever to regret my coming to the UK for studies.

Call to Nigeria Landlines is at the rate of 1P per minute. In fact, i had to ask my wife to get a Starcomm Line that starts with 01- for me to always communicate with her. I call my wife more than 10 ttimes a day because it is cheaper. Mind you, if u get starcomm that starts with 070 or any 080 or 081 number, the rate is 8p per minutes. Moreso, the service providers have been so generous. If you recharge £20 online, a bonus of £10 is to be added to your phone instantly.

Can you point it out?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AGBORMAN1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 05, 2012
House is cheapper in the North.

A room for about £200 a month all inclusive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shagaman: 3:23pm On Mar 05, 2012
with so many nigerians complaining i think i would come build face me i slap u for uk for my naija peeps, just kidding anyway.

Any where in the world aint easy, just cut ur coat according to your size, shikenaa

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tpcom1(m): 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2012
In my case the hardest thing I faced was adjusting to new life, new rules, fending for yourslef and ultimately taking responsibility for ALL my actions.

I worked different jobs while @ uni - and I paid all my fees myself ( i even had girlfriends sef).

I managed to plan well with what I earned, i was proactive when looking for work by approaching stores, companies etc even when vacancies where not advertised.

It's what you make it, hard if u see it as hard but managable with a little extra effort.

I don't think calling home should be that expensive, afterall theres BB and ichat and besides when you phone pple all the time and they don't phone you back maybe you should stop calling so much.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by wonderz(m): 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2012
If you are skilled in a number of areas, you will survive. Get involved, volunteer, join a viable network marketing company. I've met with students who are living off their income from network marketing endeavours and they are doing well even one has a car,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bencash: 4:18pm On Mar 05, 2012
At the moment am doing my MSc degree some where in England, i will be tru in like a month's time, basically, Uk is very expensive compare to nigeria
- the frustration here is considerably the same thing with nigeria if u dont have money
-no job
- no post study visa to make u liable to work here after your study
- the only thing you get from here is the world class knowledge and ur MSc pali
- after from that, the UK govt. are just ripping ppl off,
- cos after spending 1yr in this country you will be spending btw 7-10 thousand quid, for up keep for the duration of ur study, ( minus ur tuition fee o)
- the uk govt make billions of Pounds from intl. student yearly.!!

Pls, the koko is, no job in the uk, no part-time job sef, so b4 u board that plane, make sure u have paid all your tuition fee, and u have close to (8grand pounds in cash in ur account)

true story brof!!

or else,

You will be stocked!!
and in this country!! no padi for jungle!!.
no relatives even ur own blood bro, go give u a penny oo!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iKoksi(m): 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2012
Think Scotland, things seems to be abit easier for Int students as compared to England now

anishe:

This Promo ended 29/Feb for Lebara, !
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bencash: 4:42pm On Mar 05, 2012
iKoksi:

Think Scotland, things seems to be abit easier for Int students as compared to England now

Misinformation? no one is talking about regrets what so ever, we just talking about been prepared and all??
we talking about feeding and housing in the uk which is the primary thing here, not fone calls!!, any one can live without a single call to his/her family!!!

thats not why we are here!,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Guardian(m): 5:01pm On Mar 05, 2012
Dear All,
The UK is designed for UK.

If and when you come to the UK, think like the Indians when spending/investing. Explore like a Nigerian would, network with as many Non-Nigerians as you can, East Block and calm Gulf immigrants are OK.  Take advantage at all times of any and all deals and cost savers available. Do not Pose, Do not think buying from a budget store or crappy maker makes you less wiser.

Last but not least be as Entrepreneurial as you can. Nigerians are naturally gifted with this.

However before you ever think of any of the above. Sit down, plans, answer and ponder on the following:

[list]
[li]Why am I going to the UK ?[/li]
[li]What would I gain investing in the UK  ?[/li]
[li]How would you recover your investment coming to the UK ?[/li]
[li]What oppurtunities are there in the UK that the UK government and citizen can not fill or provide ?[/li]
[li]How and what is the return in exploring these oppurtunities ?[/li]
[li]What skill is in demand ? that can give you the edge and make you marketable ?[/li]
[li]What would you gain investing in the UK  ?[/li]
[li]What is the relative recovery time on all investment made coming to the UK ?[/li]
[/list]

Answer the above before you ever think of coming to the UK

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iKoksi(m): 5:06pm On Mar 05, 2012
bencash:

Misinformation? no one is talking about regrets what so ever,  we just talking about been prepared and all??
we talking about feeding and housing in the uk which is the primary thing here,  not fone calls!!,  any one can live without a single call to his/her family!!!

thats not why we are here!,

yes sir, by 'thinking Scotland instead of England' i meant generally, everything. not phone calls.  just quoted d phone thing to point out dat d £10 promo has ended!
& yes of'course u can do without phone calls!! grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 5:31pm On Mar 05, 2012
I survive on ALG grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 05, 2012
lepasharon:

I survive on ALG grin

what is ALG? : /
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iKoksi(m): 6:34pm On Mar 05, 2012
saxywale:

what is ALG? : /

ALG - Adult Learning Grant
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sandysprax(m): 7:13pm On Mar 05, 2012
mrcheeky:

I was born in the UK. Parents are Nigerian.

I would say it is very TOUGH to get a job here in England due to the economic crisis. Inflation is increasing and jobs are decreasing so it is very hard to survive here. You'd end up applying to 20-50 jobs a day with no result, lucky enough to even get an interview  angry

Accommodation isn't cheap. Some starting from £250 per week (N62,425 a week) which isn't righteous for Nigerians. Looks like a mission to get that money right?

To those who are travelling to this country looking for work and education I'd advise you to come prepared, have a plan and survive!

So on point.I pay £375/month(ninety something thousand naira) on house rent without any job.Coming to UK to study is a suicide mission, there are no jobs as i have been applying since the past 9 months without success.Fellow Nigerians, pls dont come here based on the pictures u see on BBC & CNN.Things are not always as they seem.A word is enough for the wise

One huge mistake i made when i came here was to spend pounds with the Naira mindset.I was practically seeing £80 clothes as being cheap cos i was thinking Naira.

I forgot to mention money i pay on bus pass/month  cry  cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by davida222(m): 9:25pm On Mar 05, 2012
Thank u all 4 ur wise sayings, but is stil my dream to study in the uk some day in d future i wish i hav a sponsor. Thanks anyways.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bencash: 10:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
FEMARY1:

Nawa oo .Everybody is just crying here.Yet no report of students droping out because of fees or people sleeping on the streets because of colds.
Virtually every is saying dont come.And yet they are not leaving the UK.

brof, !!! am in the uk at the moment, 1- student are dropping out 2- and even if u are owing the uni like 500 quid, they wont graduate u,
3- ppl sleep under the bridges, subways, and 24hours buses, 4, they wish to leave but they dont wanna have immigration problem, or they dont even have anything to fall back to in nigeria or they dont wanna go face some kinda shame in nigeria,
cos in our culture, ppl like saving face!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 10:51pm On Mar 05, 2012
If you are comming to study make sure you have just study in mind and nothing else, dont come here thibkibg you are gonna use your study as ticket to gain other things from the Uk,Big mistake, make sure you get your full fees B4 you get on that plane if not,you are on your own, the working hours regulation for full time student squeezes teh daylight outta those thinking the can work and study, that was back in the days.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:55pm On Mar 05, 2012
FEMARY1:

Nawa oo .Everybody is just crying here.Yet no report of students droping out because of fees or people sleeping on the streets because of colds.

Do you expect anybody to come here and tell you that they have dropped out or sleeping on the street? NLders will laugh at that person and remind him how UK is not all that and stuff. The shame alone is enough to kill the person

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:59pm On Mar 05, 2012
edie_mafio:

@ just wise,this is a forum and we dont know who is who,when i said get a spouse visa,you should use ur head to know what i mean, if i must explain,get married to a British,if you like,ask me how to marry a british,

Did you realise now that this is public forum before mentioning getting spouse visa? Getting married to British  citizen and getting a paper is not a walk in the pack and if you are thinking about sham marriage then forget it

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ediemafio(m): 11:03pm On Mar 05, 2012
mr justwise,my message was not meant for ppl like you,the ppl who need it will understand,it will not be ur biz how they obtain their pappers,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sandysprax(m): 11:06pm On Mar 05, 2012
justwise:

Do you expect anybody to come here and tell you that they have dropped out or sleeping on the street? NLders will laugh at that person and remind him how UK is not all that and stuff. The shame alone is enough to kill the person

FEMARY1:

How do u expect anyone to tell u how they are suffering on here? Boiz are sweeping the streetz to survive. Me personally get help from my girl friend who is already established here + the support from my parents back home. Life is hard here, just like most of us in the UK have unanimously agreed.Except ur father is a politician in naija, that is rolling out the notes for u.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by temi777: 11:15pm On Mar 05, 2012
We  Nigerians and our one way thinking. Yes there are jobs in UK for international students we just dont see them or rather our one way thinking dont make it possible. I only share this with my family members before but I am so annoyed I will share it with you. If you are coming here please learn a trade in Naija before coming-capentary,tailoring,barbing,plumbing,roadside mechanics -These things will make you rich even as a student in UK . A mechanic will earn at least £200 a day, plumbers sometimes £70 an hour , who do you think cuts the black people's hair in UK? but the problem is that people come with the mindset that they want to get job in Tesco alongside their studies. no come with these skills and you will be very ok or otherwise pass your driving test and become a courier or sell things in the market. just think damn out of the box . I self sponsored for 4 years in UK and im now a British citizen since long ago .
If you are ready to pay consultancy to me mehhn your landing will be smooth. Self ive divulged too much, lol, that's a joke but i like to help. UK is still dripping with money just change your mindset and learn the street a bit. selah

The aforementioned jobs are not even being monitored by the government so technically you can do 100 hours a week if you like and nobody can prove it . A friend's wife sells Marykay self and makes big bucks. stop your working in Tesco mentality and UK will be nice for you. peace
Think about this-my mechanic in Hackney told  one day  bros I bought two houses cash . Noone bothers with him because the government cannot monitor them and things are done under the table. Im a software engineer but studying in UK is far better than studying in America and Canada and you are likely to get your kpali if you know how to play  the system without anything fraudulent self. All the people shouting UK no get job should wake up if they want to come and learn from my advice. Now where is my consultancy fee NAIRALANDERS?

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ritux: 11:16pm On Mar 05, 2012
erico2k2:

If you are comming to study make sure you have just study in mind  and nothing else, dont come here thibkibg you are gonna use your study as ticket to gain other things from the Uk,Big mistake, make sure you get your full fees B4 you get on that plane if not,you are on your own, the working hours regulation for full time student squeezes teh daylight outta those thinking the can work and study, that was back in the days.

Hey, i am presently in the UK studying for my msc. Presently i am working 12hrs out of the 20hrs allowed for students during term time comfortably well and it is not affecting my studies one bit. with the money i make, i dont even touch my allowance i came with from 9ja though i paid my tuition and accommodation fees in full before coming. one good thing about my school is that they give hardship funds to student. just last week i got £600 from my school after filling the form. though i told them some funny stories lol as a naija guy, i cant come back to that country at the end of the program without getting at least the £5560 i paid for my school accommodation.

my gf is here also and she has 2 different jobs and she makes up to £65 every week

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:21pm On Mar 05, 2012
ritux:

Hey, i am presently in the UK studying for my msc. Presently i am working 12hrs out of the 20hrs allowed for students during term time comfortably well and it is not affecting my studies one bit. with the money i make, i dont even touch my allowance i came with from 9ja though i paid my tuition and accommodation fees in full before coming. one good thing about my school is that they give hardship funds to student. just last week i got £600 from my school after filling the form. though i told them some funny stories lol as a naija guy, i cant come back to that country at the end of the program without getting at least the £5560 i paid for my school accommodation.

my gf is here also and she has 2 different jobs and she makes up to £65 every week

Can you survive on 12hrs job if you werent prepared financially before coming?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ritux: 11:48pm On Mar 05, 2012
justwise:

Can you survive on 12hrs job if you werent prepared financially before coming?

mr justwise, i get your point but at the same time, it depends on what you mean by being prepared financially. i am not the type who spend extravagantly. i actually came to the UK with £4500 as my maintenance money to cover me till august when i will round up the program. last year i did not work because i wanted to see how my result will be like and like i said earlier, i had three A and one B. i had friends working since sept when we came in and they also did well. Between sept and dec i spent less than £1500. i buy food stuffs like garri, indomine, plantain and and stuffs to cook soup from the african shop though a little bit expensive but stuffs like onion, chicken, veg oil, eggs, tomatoes etc i get them from asda and tesco which are of reasonable price far better than the price i will get them from the african shop. the point i am trying to make here is that i dont spend up to £30 in feeding for a week and I work £74.4 every week for 12hrs.

though i will not advice anyone to come here without paying your tuition fee and getting were to stay.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:01am On Mar 06, 2012
ritux:

mr justwise, i get your point but at the same time, it depends on what you mean by being prepared financially. i am not the type who spend extravagantly. i actually came to the UK with £4500 as my maintenance money to cover me till august when i will round up the program. last year i did not work because i wanted to see how my result will be like and like i said earlier, i had three A and one B. i had friends working since sept when we came in and they also did well. Between sept and dec i spent less than £1500. i buy food stuffs like garri, indomine, plantain and and stuffs to cook soup from the african shop though a little bit expensive but stuffs like onion, chicken, veg oil, eggs, tomatoes etc i get them from asda and tesco which are of reasonable price far better than the price i will get them from the african shop. the point i am trying to make here is that i dont spend up to £30 in feeding for a week and I work £74.4 every week for 12hrs.

though i will not advice anyone to come here without paying your tuition fee and getting were to stay.

That was my whole point, 12hrs or 20hrs work is not enough for anybody who is not prepared financially before coming to the UK, prepared financially i meant having your fees and atleast 5-6 months rent, £74 x4 can only pay your rent and you still have to pay bills and eat. With your £4500 you can decide not to work and you will be fine as long as you spend within ur limit.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by banky1987(m): 3:24am On Mar 06, 2012
[
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FEMARY1: 5:29am On Mar 06, 2012
temi777:

We  Nigerians and our one way thinking. Yes there are jobs in UK for international students we just dont see them or rather our one way thinking dont make it possible. I only share this with my family members before but I am so annoyed I will share it with you. If you are coming here please learn a trade in Naija before coming-capentary,tailoring,barbing,plumbing,roadside mechanics -These things will make you rich even as a student in UK . A mechanic will earn at least £200 a day, plumbers sometimes £70 an hour , who do you think cuts the black people's hair in UK? but the problem is that people come with the mindset that they want to get job in Tesco alongside their studies. no come with these skills and you will be very ok or otherwise pass your driving test and become a courier or sell things in the market. just think damn out of the box . I self sponsored for 4 years in UK and im now a British citizen since long ago .
If you are ready to pay consultancy to me mehhn your landing will be smooth. Self ive divulged too much, lol, that's a joke but i like to help. UK is still dripping with money just change your mindset and learn the street a bit. selah

The aforementioned jobs are not even being monitored by the government so technically you can do 100 hours a week if you like and nobody can prove it . A friend's wife sells Marykay self and makes big bucks. stop your working in Tesco mentality and UK will be nice for you. peace
Think about this-my mechanic in Hackney told  one day  bros I bought two houses cash . Noone bothers with him because the government cannot monitor them and things are done under the table. Im a software engineer but studying in UK is far better than studying in America and Canada and you are likely to get your kpali if you know how to play  the system without anything fraudulent self. All the people shouting UK no get job should wake up if they want to come and learn from my advice. Now where is my consultancy fee NAIRALANDERS?
Thanks jare.Everybody is just talking as if there is no way out.As if nobody is doing well.As if you are boxed and can never survive.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.