Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (151) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810619 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:19am On Jun 08, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Yeah, that's why I wanna know if it's still same steps.
Yes it is. U can pay all your deposits that way but after the first deposit u must consider the timeline cos most times it takes a while for it to be processed.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 7:46am On Jun 08, 2016
Plz anyone studying in Sunderland this September. I will be going for law.plz I need info's about the place, like getting a job as well as attitude to international students. Is the area affordable as well.thanks.

Cc justwise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 3:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
fizzile:
Yes it is. U can pay all your deposits that way but after the first deposit u must consider the timeline cos most times it takes a while for it to be processed.
Sup, have they processed your form A, will start mine next week, I heard it takes 2-4 weeks to process
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 7:40pm On Jun 08, 2016
fizzile:
Is it possible to use Google in changing currency, like if you wanna know £500 in Naira, can someone make use of Google
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 8:09pm On Jun 08, 2016
obynwanyioma:

Sup, have they processed your form A, will start mine next week, I heard it takes 2-4 weeks to process
Yeah mine has been processed but I am still waiting for a response from the bank and the school. If you plead with them at the bank to help you process it on time, they will do it immediately. So u have to really plead with them so that they don't delay it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 8:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Is it possible to use Google in changing currency, like if you wanna know £500 in Naira, can someone make use of Google
Do not use google. Just go to https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ . Thats the specified site by the home office. Go to the site, the put the value u want to convert then click the value u expect and u will see the outcome.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 10:08pm On Jun 08, 2016
fizzile:
Do not use google. Just go to https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ . Thats the specified site by the home office. Go to the site, the put the value u want to convert then click the value u expect and u will see the outcome.
Actually, I don't know how to make use of the website.
But, can you convert £11,600 and £9,315

Thanks smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 3:09am On Jun 09, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks smiley

Big bro, you are going for a masters in Birmingham. That site fizzle just showed you is very very easy to use. Try it out yourself because you will still use it in calculating the amount to put in your account for maintenance fees.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 3:32am On Jun 09, 2016
Who's voting to leave the EU?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:08am On Jun 09, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks smiley
£11,600 is about 3,326,970naira while £9,315 is about 2,671,610naira but if you are to pay your tuition especially with Form A, it won't be that amount cos the bank will pay at a slightly different rate cos they will take their charges aswell. But for the maintenance, thats what u will have to keep in your account for 28days but its advicable to add something little to it incase the rate increases a little bit.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 4:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
fizzile:
£11,600 is about 3,326,970naira while £9,315 is about 2,671,610naira but if you are to pay your tuition especially with Form A, it won't be that amount cos the bank will pay at a slightly different rate cos they will take their charges aswell. But for the maintenance, thats what u will have to keep in your account for 28days but its advicable to add something little to it incase the rate increases a little bit.
Thanks a lot bro, I do really appreciate smiley
So, after paying the first deposit which is half of the tuition fee, can one prepare for travelling or its necessary paying all fees before heading.
And is it possible, paying all fees at once instead of depoait half then pay rest later.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 4:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
fizzile:
So, deposit using Form A, that means the money will go down a little, right?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 4:46pm On Jun 09, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks a lot bro, I do really appreciate smiley
So, after paying the first deposit which is half of the tuition fee, can one prepare for travelling or its necessary paying all fees before heading.
And is it possible, paying all fees at once instead of depoait half then pay rest later.
After paying ur first deposit, u will have to complete the second deposit before enrollment when u get to the UK..then complete the third deposit something in January,depending on the school. If your payment is in two parts, u can pay the first deposit, then complete the rest later. Its all stated on your offer letter. If you have the full tuition, its better u just pay it and know that tuition is done. Most schools give some little discounts if u pay full. Atleast u could use the small discount and do some little things for yourself. Everything depends on your pocket.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 4:54pm On Jun 09, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

So, deposit using Form A, that means the money will go down a little, right?
Yeh cos they will charge u based on the CBN rate but i will advice u to go to ur bank so dat they can make the calculation for you cos the bank will include their charges too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
fizzile:
Yeh cos they will charge u based on the CBN rate but i will advice u to go to ur bank so dat they can make the calculation for you cos the bank will include their charges too.
Thanks bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 11:36pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hey guys,has anyone used Form A lately? Or for those that used Form A, was your payment deducted in whole or in bits? Made a transaction with Form A but not the full amount was debitted. Has anyone experienced this before? What could be the reason for this?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 12:21pm On Jun 10, 2016
fizzile:
Hey guys,has anyone used Form A lately? Or for those that used Form A, was your payment deducted in whole or in bits? Made a transaction with Form A but not the full amount was debitted. Has anyone experienced this before? What could be the reason for this?
How do u mean? Have u gone to ur bank to ask them why the full amount wasn't debited. I will use the form A next week, I pray I don't experience this.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by swaggprofessor(m): 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
obynwanyioma:

How do u mean? Have u gone to ur bank to ask them why the full amount wasn't debited. I will use the form A next week, I pray I don't experience this.
Pls what is the exchange rate for Form A
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2016
Dynamitehimself:
Plz anyone studying in Sunderland this September. I will be going for law.plz I need info's about the place, like getting a job as well as attitude to international students. Is the area affordable as well.thanks.

Cc justwise

It's a cold and dull city, the only vibrant atmosphere is from the university campus and the areas adjoining it. I did my MSc there a few years ago and I have a house there as well. I will be studying there again in September this year for another Masters. The city is the way you make it. It will take you a good few months to get a student job (if you are interested), but they are available and will supplement your income, I did them back in the day. It's one of the most affordable cities for students as most of the residents are on one form of welfare benefits or the other, hence basic items are at basic costs unlike the big cities. No social atmosphere whatsoever though, there are a few clubs but they are mostly attended by the white British guys/girls, you are free to explore them if you wish.

On a positive note, there is a vibrant Nigerian students association on campus as well as a vibrant African community association off campus. They can guide you if you face any challenges. I will be moving there as well in a few weeks to get ready for my course that starts in September, feel free to ask me anything about anything.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 3:22pm On Jun 10, 2016
swaggprofessor:
Pls what is the exchange rate for Form A
Normal CBN rate but u need to be fast oooo.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 3:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
claremont:

It's a cold and dull city, the only vibrant atmosphere is from the university campus and the areas adjoining it. I did my MSc there a few years ago and I have a house there as well. I will be studying there again in September this year for another Masters. The city is the way you make it. It will take you a good few months to get a student job (if you are interested), but they are available and will supplement your income, I did them back in the day. It's one of the most affordable cities for students as most of the residents are on one form of welfare benefits or the other, hence basic items are at basic costs unlike the big cities. No social atmosphere whatsoever though, there are a few clubs but they are mostly attended by the white British guys/girls, you are free to explore them if you wish.

On a positive note, there is a vibrant Nigerian students association on campus as well as a vibrant African community association off campus. They can guide you if you face any challenges. I will be moving there as well in a few weeks to get ready for my course that starts in September, feel free to ask me anything about anything.
@ Claremont
Thanks so much for the heads up and info.
I will be studying law from this september too(full time)what are my chances or what do I need to do or know during the study process to excel at the long run as a lawyer there(pathway is immigration law to be precise), what should i no and look out for.
I am a keyboardist and a vocalist too, I play both gospel and soft contemporary tunes(will this ease job search) because I was told lot of churches require your service especially those presided by Nigerians and they pay for it.
How much do they pay for student job and what is the best i can get for a start.
Do I need the police character certificate handy.
Any other thing you feel I should know or do before coming to sunderland from your experience please don't hesitate to let me know as well as any document or training I can take within this few months that can be useful out there. What are basic essential needs i should purchase and carry along that i will need,i would also like to talk to you in private if you dont mind since you are going this sept too.At least i got som1 to give me little Orientation on ground. Thanks in anticipation. God bless.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2016
Dynamitehimself:

@ Claremont
Thanks so much for the heads up and info.

1. I will be studying law from this september too(full time)what are my chances or what do I need to do or know during the study process to excel at the long run as a lawyer there(pathway is immigration law to be precise), what should i no and look out for.-- I dunno about law, I'm in the healthcare industry.

2. I am a keyboardist and a vocalist too, I play both gospel and soft contemporary tunes(will this ease job search) because I was told lot of churches require your service especially those presided by Nigerians and they pay for it.-- You can look around for Nigeria/African churches.

3. How much do they pay for student job and what is the best i can get for a start.-- National minimum wage.

4. Do I need the police character certificate handy.-- You would need this to get a licence which you can use to apply for security-related jobs.

5. What are basic essential needs i should purchase and carry along that i will need.-- I don't understand this. Bring everything like a normal international student should.

6. i would also like to talk to you in private if you dont mind since you are going this sept too.At least i got som1 to give me little Orientation on ground.-- Ask everything here so other aspiring students can benefit, I will try to respond.

Thanks in anticipation. God bless.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 7:56pm On Jun 10, 2016
@ Claremont
Thanks for the swift reply.
Do I need an additional bank account like a domiciliary(pounds) with first bank or gtbank. Which is preferable.
Can I pay in and withdraw directly both vice viser with less COT.how do i use it effectively.
I am a business minded person. What can I buy around while studying and send down here to make some profits.(Still got some good change I am going with).
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 9:20pm On Jun 10, 2016
Dynamitehimself:
@ Claremont
Thanks for the swift reply.
1. Do I need an additional bank account like a domiciliary(pounds) with first bank or gtbank. Which is preferable-- When I came in, I brought cash and opened a bank account here.

2. Can I pay in and withdraw directly both vice viser with less COT.how do i use it effectively.-- I'm not conversant with the terms of banks in Nigeria as regards overseas transactions. I converted all my cash to pounds at the airport in Nigeria and opened an account as soon as I got here.

3. I am a business minded person. What can I buy around while studying and send down here to make some profits.(Still got some good change I am going with).-- You can liaise with the African community here to see if you can do business when you get here.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 10:36pm On Jun 10, 2016
@ Claremont
Thanks for the info's
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 10:43pm On Jun 10, 2016
lepasharon:
Who's voting to leave the EU?
Lolz voting to stay innit
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
Apparently if UK vote to leave; the price of houses will crash!!

Then i can afford a decent place init!!!! grin

Think im gonna vote out just for the sake of it, I wanna hear who UKIP and co will blame next for any other issue cool

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:36pm On Jun 11, 2016
What's this vote all about, cause I don't get it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
DisGuy:
Apparently if UK vote to leave; the price of houses will crash!!

Then i can afford a decent place init!!!! grin

Think im gonna vote out just for the sake of it, I wanna hear who UKIP and co will blame next for any other issue cool

I'm voting to remain.

I can't afford to allow wealth politicians to ruin my future free movement. Whatever happens to the economy if we vote to leave those politicians will be fine, they have houses and connections for next job.

Vote to leave will not solve immigration problem because a lot has entered a
Ready and they can't stop illegal immigrants
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 1:12pm On Jun 11, 2016
justwise:
[/b]

I'm voting to remain.

I can't afford to allow wealth politicians to ruin my future free movement. Whatever happens to the economy if we vote to leave those politicians will be fine, they have houses and connections for next job.

Vote to leave will not solve immigration problem because a lot has entered a
Ready and they can't stop illegal immigrants
Justwise, what's the voting all about??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:13pm On Jun 11, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Justwise, what's the voting all about??

The U.K. Voting to leave EU
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2016
justwise:

The U.K. Voting to leave EU
OH, is it for immigrants?

(1) (2) (3) ... (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.