Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809825 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:45am On Jun 23, 2016
Bourne007:
Well not exactly. But the thing is as more people are coming, more people tend to leave at the end of the day. International students for example are almost 70% guaranteed to leave after their studies and new sets of students then come in after. You might not exactly know if it's reduced or not.

How do you mean by..You might not exactly know if it's reduced or not?

The Office for National Statistics released UK population figure today to be 65.1 million, that is an increase of 513,300 in the year to June 2015.

Net migration contributed 335,600 to that figure. Net immigration is the difference between those coming into the UK and those leaving.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:12pm On Jun 23, 2016
fizzile:
Justwise, please from your vast knowledge and experience..please could you tell us the implications of voting IN and OUT..especially for International Students.

I don't see any significant benefit to international students if the UK leaves the EU by the end of today. One of the main reasons why the UK is leaving the EU is to cut down on immigration, so leaving the EU does not mean that they will start dishing out visas to foreign students or others to come to the UK.

The UK can't get rid of Eastern Europeans here already in fact they have not been able to depot many non-EU citizens for more than 9yrs now and immigration number is increasing year by year.

Yes they claimed that they will introduce point based system whereby only people with skills and education will be allowed in to take a job when they score enough point, Australia has the same system but it did not reduce their immigration number rather it increases.

The toughest immigration rule implemented for years now has targeted foreign students.

..before 2008 foreign students don;t need to show that they have money for fees and maintenance money before getting their visas, you only need is admission letter. Many work programs were in place for foreign students after graduation but all have been removed. You can apply for job within the UK after graduation but now you have to do that from your home country.

You don't pay for any health charge before getting a visa but now that is the case.

You can combine 10yrs of studying within the UK to qualify for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) but now you can't as HomeOffice has effectively closed that route.

So the UK leaving the EU will only benefit foreign student if the govt reversed some of those immigration polices else i don't see the benefit to foreign students

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 1:02pm On Jun 23, 2016
Whether the final vote turns out to be IN or OUT, it will have no effect on immigration. The politicians on both sides of this debate are systematically lying through their teeth, and they are not to be trusted. Any attempt by the politicians to impose a points system or a visa for EU migrants will be met by a reciprocal system to UK citizens by the EU. What I envisage will happen if UK leaves is the same system Iceland, Switzerland, and Norway have with the EU where there are no visa controls, which basically is the same as we have now. Personally, i don't see any dire consequences whether the UK stays or leaves, the politicians have over-hyped whatever consequences there may be for their own selfish interest.

I'm happy I have abstained on this vote.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 1:35pm On Jun 23, 2016
You asked about non-EU and the figures below show the entire population including EU citizens. Not sure of the figures but the non-eu leaving is almost the same as the people coming in hence my reason of saying you might not exactly know if this is reducing or not.

justwise:

How do you mean by..You might not exactly know if it's reduced or not?

The Office for National Statistics released UK population figure today to be 65.1 million, that is an increase of 513,300 in the year to June 2015.

Net migration contributed 335,600 to that figure. Net immigration is the difference between those coming into the UK and those leaving.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2016
Bourne007:
You asked about non-EU and the figures below show the entire population including EU citizens. Not sure of the figures but the non-eu leaving is almost the same as the people coming in hence my reason of saying you might not exactly know if this is reducing or not.

How do you know that?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 2:23pm On Jun 23, 2016
justwise:

Attending enrollment is important because that is when you get all your course details, student ID, university tour, bank account registration, Health registration and many others.

You don't have to carry all your maintenance money when traveling, you can take 1-2 thousand pounds for the initial expenditures then get the rest transferred later.
Thanks bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
OlowoB:

Sorry I relied late. Was busy yesterday for my home gal Lanicky. She needs your help this Saturday. Check my signature for more details.

You can do whatever with your maintenance money once you get your visa. The money is yours. Whichever way you decide to go about it is up to you. Provided you have a way of sorting out yourself when you get to Uk in terms of accommodation and feeding.

As for the enrolment, you have enough time since your program starts ending of September. I will suggest you enter Uk at least 1week before resumption so that you have enough time to find your way around and also know the buses that will convey you to school (if staying outside school).

You should go for the enrolment if you get your visa on time bro. Although I don't think it is compulsory as some schools even allow students to come even after 2 weeks of resumption due to visa issues.

Entering Uk early let's you settle in easily. You can then go and do your biometrics at the post office close to where you live, you can easily sort out your accommodation issues, apply for NI on time, open a bank account etc

As for how to go about moving money from Naija to Uk, I really do not know how that parol works. This whole forex stuff no be small thing.Speak to people. All the best bro and don't forget Saturday is all about Lanicky tongue

Thank you for your time.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2016
Cc fizzile owoloB justwise

Good day my People. Am really on a cross road now.

I just recently gained employment into a firm in which i have been a graduate intern for about 10 months.

The pay is a 100k monthly including free accommodation within the complex.

At the moment, i haven't even paid my tuition fees yet.

Should i defer my masters program for the Job?

Matured Advice only.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2016
chucksbadt:
Cc fizzile owoloB justwise

Good day my People. Am really on a cross road now.

I just recently gained employment into a firm in which i have been a graduate intern for about 10 months.

The pay is a 100k monthly including free accommodation within the complex.

At the moment, i haven't even paid my tuition fees yet.

Should i defer my masters program for the program?

Matured Advice only.

You want to defer because of lack of money?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 10:10pm On Jun 23, 2016
justwise:

You want to defer because of lack of money?

My dad is currently not certain about Paying the half tuition plus maintenance fee, ever since the new CBN rate evolved.....

I won't like to miss both my MSc and this job offer. That will be disastrous
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 1:12am On Jun 24, 2016
chucksbadt:

My dad is currently not certain about Paying the half tuition plus maintenance fee, ever since the new CBN rate evolved.....

Let me state clearly that whatever advice i will give here will be my own personal opinion.

First off, this your current job, is it in line with your career? Is there career progression? Do you see yourself improving on the job and what are the long term benefits you see on the job (not necessarily cash benefits)?do you like the job? is the work environment good? If your answer to these questions are positive, then i will say forget UK masters and take the job offer. You can do masters in Unilag or any of the other big federal universities we have in Nigeria. Please note; If UK were still giving post study visa to students like some other countries do presently, my position would have been different.

The truth is after your UK masters, what next for you? You will likely not get a job in Uk and will still end up coming back. Definitely going to the UK is good, not just for the education but for the fact that you get to see life differently which will also challenge you to be better in all aspects of life but if i were to advise anyone currently in your position, even my own family member, i would say forget UK masters.

Infact, you can work with this company for a while and then after about 2 or 3 years, you travel for your masters and then come back submit your CV to Hr and then get higher pay with a higher position. Alternatively, you can do your masters hin Unilag (if you don't mind doing it in Nigeria) while you are working.

Finally, i am just a man prone to errors (i know nothing), have you asked God? Please communicate with him in prayers. I remember some years back when i wanted to travel out, i prayed a difficult prayer. I told God, if it is your wish for me to travel, then let the whole visa process be smooth for me and if not, let me be denied visa. Ever since i have stepped foot in UK, it has been one favour to the other. So please, this is a major decision and only God can lead you aright no matter the responses you get on here. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you take.

Also don't forget to check my signature. It is all about Lanicky Tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 3:42am On Jun 24, 2016
BRexit poll latest update: Brexit most likely outcome.

As at 3:40am leave 51.5% remain: 48.5% source: Telegraph.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 6:02am On Jun 24, 2016
OlowoB:
BRexit poll latest update: Brexit most likely outcome.

As at 3:40am leave 51.5% exit: 48.5% source: Telegraph.

Did I just hear exit won?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:42am On Jun 24, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 6:44am On Jun 24, 2016
OlowoB:

Let me state clearly that whatever advice i will give here will be my own personal opinion.

First off, this your current job, is it in line with your career? Is there career progression? Do you see yourself improving on the job and what are the long term benefits you see on the job (not necessarily cash benefits)?do you like the job? is the work environment good? If your answer to these questions are positive, then i will say forget UK masters and take the job offer. You can do masters in Unilag or any of the other big federal universities we have in Nigeria. Please note; If UK were still giving post study visa to students like some other countries do presently, my position would have been different.

The truth is after your UK masters, what next for you? You will likely not get a job in Uk and will still end up coming back. Definitely going to the UK is good, not just for the education but for the fact that you get to see life differently which will also challenge you to be better in all aspects of life but if i were to advise anyone currently in your position, even my own family member, i would say forget UK masters.

Infact, you can work with this company for a while and then after about 2 or 3 years, you travel for your masters and then come back submit your CV to Hr and then get higher pay with a higher position. Alternatively, you can do your masters hin Unilag (if you don't mind doing it in Nigeria) while you are working.

Finally, i am just a man prone to errors (i know nothing), have you asked God? Please communicate with him in prayers. I remember some years back when i wanted to travel out, i prayed a difficult prayer. I told God, if it is your wish for me to travel, then let the whole visa process be smooth for me and if not, let me be denied visa. Ever since i have stepped foot in UK, it has been one favour to the other. So please, this is a major decision and only God can lead you aright no matter the responses you get on here. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you take.

Also don't forget to check my signature. It is all about Lanicky Tomorrow.

Thanks for response bro.....really appreciate.

Concerning the job, it's a career job i have always been longing for; IT Network Engineer. And it's a very big firm, I'll be managing over a 100 systems within the company and and about 50 in some other states.

As i stated before, i worked as an Intern in this same company(same department sef) for 10 months on minimum wage. All this while, there was a vacancy in that department for about 7 months now and i always being trying to apply. Eventually just a month ago, i gave up because everything look futile. That's when i got my MSc admission.

On the nut shell, everyone is telling me to take it, not just because of the salary, but because of the documented work experience it will gimme.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:09am On Jun 24, 2016
chucksbadt:

If I were you I will delay the UK project for now and work for at least a year then weight your options.

Having job experience will even enhance your future job prospects.

Studying in the UK is a huge project and at the moment the Uk is unstable as a result of the UK leaving the EU

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:18am On Jun 24, 2016
fizzile:
Did I just hear exit won?

Bro no mind me, exit won. Over excitement made me to make a mistake.

The other news I am waiting for is for that PM to resign. I just can't wait.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:22am On Jun 24, 2016
chucksbadt:

Concerning the job, it's a career job i have always been longing for; IT Network Engineer. And it's a very big firm, I'll be managing over a 100 systems within the company and and about 50 in some other states.

As i stated before, i worked as an Intern in this same company(same department sef) for 10 months on minimum wage. All this while, there was a vacancy in that department for about 7 months now and i always being trying to apply. Eventually just a month ago, i gave up because everything look futile. That's when i got my MSc admission.

On the nut shell, everyone is telling me to take it, not just because of the salary, but because of the documented work experience it will gimme.

My brother, I just did not want to say it boldly to you before because I was not too sure if it is a job you wanted. Please take it with both hands and don't look back.

You can do masters in Unilag while working. Many of my friends do it currently. I am sorry to say it here, I have never been a fan of doing masters in UK since they stopped post study.

If you are really interested in seeing how Uk is, trust me, with your salary, you will be coming for visitation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 8:57am On Jun 24, 2016
OlowoB:

Bro no mind me, exit won. Over excitement made me to make a mistake.

The other news I am waiting for is for that PM to resign. I just can't wait.
wow...so what are the implications and how will it impact UK generally?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by andonajnr(m): 9:06am On Jun 24, 2016
chucksbadt:

U could take up Cisco and or other certification courses related to networking instead. I hope that helps.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 9:36am On Jun 24, 2016
fizzile:

The implications for international students is that there still remains no hope for reinstating the 2-year post-study visa, I know a few people were hoping it will be reinstated sometime in the future. That is guaranteed not to happen, because the leave campaign rode on the back of anti-immigrant sentiments.

There will be no feasible implication for EU immigrants. If the UK imposes a visa for EU citizens, the EU will reciprocate by instituting a visa for UK citizens. I don't think any UK citizen will like to go through the ignominy of standing on a queue in an EU embassy to apply for a visa for their holiday.

I foresee Scotland instituting a second referendum on whether to remain in the UK, and this time, they might get it. So Scotland might be an independent country in the EU, just like Ireland is. This will favour international students as Scotland is in favour of granting post-study visas to international students.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 9:39am On Jun 24, 2016
fizzile:

Some people already explained different sides to it but for me I feel Uk will be able to control its border more without someone telling them how they should go about it. So many terrorists are already penetrating into Uk cos of this EU bond they have.

Also my beef with David is personal, no be today. He introduced so many policies that targeted so many foreign students. For this, he must go down and I am happy he is leaving in October.

I also foresee a situation whereby Scotland will renegotiate or vote for its independence. They did it last year and it did not go through but I see it coming back again. If Scotland should get its independence, they will attract more students by reintroducing post study.

All this may take time but in the long run, it will be beneficial for students coming behind us. this is my own opinion.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 9:41am On Jun 24, 2016
claremont:

The implications for international students is that there still remains no hope for reinstating the 2-year post-study visa, I know a few people were hoping it will be reinstated sometime in the future. That is guaranteed not to happen, because the leave campaign rode on the back of anti-immigrant sentiments.

There will be no feasible implication for EU immigrants. If the UK imposes a visa for EU citizens, the EU will reciprocate by instituting a visa for UK citizens. I don't think any UK citizen will like to go through the ignominy of standing on a queue in an EU embassy to apply for a visa for their holiday.

I foresee Scotland instituting a second referendum on whether to remain in the UK, and this time, they might get it. So Scotland might be an independent country in the EU, just like Ireland is. This will favour international students as Scotland is in favour of granting post-study visas to international students.

Seems we Dey think alike. grin

Also good news for students as the pounds wil likely crash albeit temporarily. Make una quickly use Form A to pay fees sharply as from next week.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 12:12pm On Jun 24, 2016
OlowoB:
To all students coming over to study Uk this September, stay positive, calm and above all prayerful.

Having said this, fizzle, whatamidoinghere, dynamitehimself, merahki et al please support my home gal.

You all should check my signature ASAP.
@olowob
Copy that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 12:23pm On Jun 24, 2016
I was unconcerned with the Leave or Remain campaign and the outcomes.

But I am shocked at Cameron's resignation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 1:43pm On Jun 24, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
Brexit cool.. But I'm scared for whats coming embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ronald4lif(m): 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
lepasharon:
Brexit cool.. But I'm scared for whats coming embarassed

Hi, how's you?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 3:32pm On Jun 24, 2016
I didn't see any real advantage to Nigerian (and non-EU) students from Leave or Remain.
I also didn't see any improvement in the conditions for foreigners to work in UK. I work here, and I'm disillusioned by how increasingly stringent the visa requirements/conditions get.

2 years ago, I wanted Scotland to remain in UK. Now Scotland voted to Remain in EU, while overall UK voted to Leave.
I look forward to another Scottish Independence Referendum asap, and this time, I will suppose Scotland leaving the UK.
If Scotland leaves UK, they will be more friendly to international students and migrants. There's plenty of space here with huge economic promise for migrant workers and students.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:40pm On Jun 24, 2016
spacyzuma:
I didn't see any real advantage to Nigerian (and non-EU) students from Leave or Remain.
I also didn't see any improvement in the conditions for foreigners to work in UK. I work here, and I'm disillusioned by how increasingly stringent the visa requirements/conditions get.

2 years ago, I wanted Scotland to remain in UK. Now Scotland voted to Remain in EU, while overall UK voted to Leave.
I look forward to another Scottish Independence Referendum asap, and this time, I will suppose Scotland leaving the UK.
If Scotland leaves UK, they will be more friendly to international students and migrants. There's plenty of space here with huge economic promise for migrant workers and students.

Don't bet on that because they wouldn't want to end up like the UK when Labour Party had an open door immigration policy and end up here today.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:48am On Jun 25, 2016
OlowoB
You means it's the best time to start paying, and how did you know that the pounds will come down soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.