Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (159) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810225 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:09pm On Jul 02, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks bro.
What do you suggest then??

Go with as much £ as you can then transfer the remaining later. Now that £ is struggling people can take advantage of that before it regains again.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
shinym:

Hi OlowoB, thanks a lot for your many insightful posts. Please I'd like your opinion as to the kind of jobs available to students while schooling in Derby; and also the job prospects in the UK after a masters degree. I got an offer for MSc Control & Instrumentation at University of Derby and also @ Coventry Univ, having studied Elect Elect Engineering in my first degree. I only have experience on inverter and solar panel installations at the moment though.
And please, do you have any idea on IGlobal University's MBA program in Virginia, USA.

Looking forward to your response, thanks a lot!

Cc: Justwise, spacyzuma, dustydee, ocheejemb

P.S: @fizzile, I'm also considering my Coventry MSc Elect Elect Eng'g offer though.

This subject has been discussed extensively here you only need to read few pages back to see them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 4:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
shinym:

Hi OlowoB, thanks a lot for your many insightful posts. Please I'd like your opinion as to the kind of jobs available to students while schooling in Derby; and also the job prospects in the UK after a masters degree. I got an offer for MSc Control & Instrumentation at University of Derby and also @ Coventry Univ, having studied Elect Elect Engineering in my first degree. I only have experience on inverter and solar panel installations at the moment though.
And please, do you have any idea on IGlobal University's MBA program in Virginia, USA.

Looking forward to your response, thanks a lot!

Cc: Justwise, spacyzuma, dustydee, ocheejemb

P.S: @fizzile, I'm also considering my Coventry MSc Elect Elect Eng'g offer though.
Congrats on your offer. Its good to know that you are interested in schooling at Coventry. I'll be going there. Well, am not in your line but I have a friend who just got back from Coventry University and graduated with a distinction in Electrical Electronics Engineering but he is not here on nairaland. I could introduce you to him if you don't mind.
Now I have found another person going to Coventry, that's three(3) now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:38pm On Jul 02, 2016
justwise:

Go with as much £ as you can then transfer the remaining later. Now that £ is struggling people can take advantage of that before it regains again.
Justwise, that means one can go along with at least (£2,000-£5,000)??
And getting there opening a UK bank account usually takes how many days/weeks?
Also, is it possible sending money from Nigeria here to someone in the UK??

Thanks as you answer smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:51pm On Jul 02, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Justwise, that means one can go along with at least (£2,000-£5,000)??
And getting there opening a UK bank account usually takes how many days/weeks?
Also, is it possible sending money from Nigeria here to someone in the UK??

Thanks as you answer smiley

If you can travel with £5000 then it will make life a lot easier for you at least for 6 months.

You can open bank account in a day, during your orientation some schools allow banks to have a stand within the university environment to register students.

You can receive here through western union or money gram.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2016
justwise:

If you can travel with £5000 then it will make life a lot easier for you at least for 6 months.

You can open bank account in a day, during your orientation some schools allow banks to have a stand within the university environment to register students.

You can receive here through western union or money gram.

Am talking about sending to someone in UK from Nigeria here, not receiving money.
And a friend said he's studying and the course starts this September and ends 2020.
Can he claim citizenship Calculating the years, it's 4years.

Is it possible??

Cc: OlowoB Justwise and others
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Am talking about sending to someone in UK from Nigeria here, not receiving money.
And a friend said he's studying and the course starts this September and ends 2020.

Is it possible??

Sure you can send money to someone in the UK

No he can't.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 11:42pm On Jul 02, 2016
justwise:

Sure you can send money to someone in the UK
No he can't.
How many years??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shinym(m): 1:18am On Jul 03, 2016
justwise:

This subject has been discussed extensively here you only need to read few pages back to see them.

Chaiiii

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shinym(m): 1:23am On Jul 03, 2016
fizzile:
Congrats on your offer. Its good to know that you are interested in schooling at Coventry. I'll be going there. Well, am not in your line but I have a friend who just got back from Coventry University and graduated with a distinction in Electrical Electronics Engineering but he is not here on nairaland. I could introduce you to him if you don't mind.
Now I have found another person going to Coventry, that's three(3) now.

Thanks a lot bro!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:37am On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

How many years??

The 10 years route through studying here is out of it.

5 years through work permit.

5 years through marriage.

20 years through illegal residency.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 10:46am On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

How many years??

Tell your friend not to bother his head too much about citizenship. He would have many options because he is studying for 4 years and he may even do his masters in Uk (which makes it 5). The most important thing is once he gets here, tell him to mix well with people (both black and white), he should have a good social life, relate well with his course mates, he shouldn't be shy, hang out at least twice in a month (pubs, cinemas) and then he will see what happens.

He also has a good chance of getting a job because he would have his UG studies and probably PG studies here. He can get work permit of 5 years after which he will get his ILR.

What will be will be.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:48am On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Is it possible??

No chance in hell for that to happen, time spent in school doesn't count towards citizenship. The only way for him to become a citizen within that time frame is to abandon the schooling altogether, and then go for the marriage option or the British Army option. I know a few of my uni friends from some years ago that got married to white, obese whales (with kids already) whilst studying, they are all citizens now. Everyone knows they got married for the paper, why in the hell will a young, good-looking and promising Nigerian man marry a middle-aged white whale and take over another man's kids?! They are citizens now, but they are all living a rat-race at the moment because they are trapped in the vicious cycle of doing shitty jobs just to sustain their family.

The EU route that people used to exploit by getting married to an EU citizen to bypass UK immigration restrictions would soon be firmly shut now that the UK has voted to leave the EU. I would suggest your friend thinks long and hard about his decision to spend a colossal amount of money and time in the UK with only a degree to show for it at the end.

The picture below are the kind of women in UK that Nigerians marry for paper. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shinym(m): 12:46pm On Jul 03, 2016
claremont:
OK, I will be more regular on this thread from now on

3. A few work-at-home jobs that international students can engage in

4. If you have access to large pool of funds, I will point out some areas in the UK where you can buy some cheap houses and give them out for rent on this thread.

smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 5:58pm On Jul 03, 2016
He also has a good chance of getting a job because he would have his UG studies and probably PG studies here. He can get work permit of 5 years after which he will get his ILR.

What will be will be.[/quote]
UG studies as how?
Can you explain clearly.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
justwise:

So, studying for 5years wont bring in citizenship?? What type of visa is required to live in UK in order to gain citizenship??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:18pm On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

So, studying for 5years wont bring in citizenship??
What type of visa is required to live in UK in order to gain citizenship??

justwise:

Just listed it for you there^
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2016
claremont:

No chance in hell for that to happen, time spent in school doesn't count towards citizenship. The only way for him to become a citizen within that time frame is to abandon the schooling altogether, and then go for the marriage option or the British Army option. I know a few of my uni friends from some years ago that got married to white, obese whales (with kids already) whilst studying, they are all citizens now. Everyone knows they got married for the paper, why in the hell will a young, good-looking and promising Nigerian man marry a middle-aged white whale and take over another man's kids?! They are citizens now, but they are all living a rat-race at the moment because they are trapped in the vicious cycle of doing shitty jobs just to sustain their family.

The EU route that people used to exploit by getting married to an EU citizen to bypass UK immigration restrictions would soon be firmly shut now that the UK has voted to leave the EU. I would suggest your friend thinks long and hard about his decision to spend a colossal amount of money and time in the UK with only a degree to show for it at the end.

The picture below are the kind of women in UK that Nigerians marry for paper. grin
@claremont...u are a clownm..damn..lmao...hahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahaha grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:30pm On Jul 03, 2016
justwise:

Just listed it for you there^
OH, now I understand.
What about if he has family over there who lived there for over 20years?? As a blood, can he claim?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

OH, now I understand.
What about if he has family over there who lived there for over 20years?? As a blood, can he claim?

That will be tricky as an adult, if they have lived here for 20 years and never made any attempt to bring him here as a child or teenager then the chances of that happening now is remote.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2016
OlowoB:

Tell your friend not to bother his head too much about citizenship. He would have many options because he is studying for 4 years and he may even do his masters in Uk (which makes it 5). The most important thing is once he gets here, tell him to mix well with people (both black and white), he should have a good social life, relate well with his course mates, he shouldn't be shy, hang out at least twice in a month (pubs, cinemas) and then he will see what happens.

What will be will be.
Please explain second paragraph better sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:39pm On Jul 03, 2016
justwise:

That will be tricky as an adult, if they have lived here for 20 years and never made any attempt to bring him here as a child or teenager then the chances of that happening now is remote.
Possible, huh?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Possible, huh?

Family you are referring to are they his parents or distance uncle?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2016
Cc: justwise

What about after 5years of study, then he travelled back and apply for working permit visa to stay in UK?
Is that possible for him to stay there permanently?
Sorry for asking too much of questions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
justwise:

Family you are referring to are they his parents or distance uncle?
His step mum and brother.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2016
claremont:

grin...but what about the slim cute white girls, why don't nigeria guys go for those ones, could it be that this white fat bufalos are less selective and more friendly than the slimmer ones?? grin cry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2016
obynwanyioma:

grin...but what about the slim cute white girls, why don't nigeria guys go for those ones, could it be that this white fat bufalos are less selective and more friendly than the slimmer ones?? grin cry
The skinnier hot ones are gold diggers and Nigerians can't give them the kind of gold they want lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 9:12am On Jul 04, 2016
obynwanyioma:

*deleted* Apologies
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:29am On Jul 04, 2016
claremont:

spacyzuma:

Those ones have more value, and they have better options of men. They rarely go for african black men unless wooed with plenty money.

obynwanyioma:

Please guys lets be mindful of our language here, there are black fat women out there marrying black men that doesn't make them less of a human being.

There are gold diggers and fat women in all races so we shouldn't narrow this down to one race.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 04, 2016
justwise:

Spoken like a true Brit.

Tricky means Impossible.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:30am On Jul 04, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
Cc: justwise

What about after 5years of study, then he travelled back and apply for working permit visa to stay in UK?
Is that possible for him to stay there permanently?
Sorry for asking too much of questions.

Yes that is possible and actually what the system encourages now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.