Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,351 members, 7,836,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (813982 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agiemars: Please,wat do u guyz think of anglia ruskin university,peterborough,uk?

Anglia ruskin, their rating is very poor. If it's about location, you can chose essex uni.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Agiemars: 1:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
spikes C:

Anglia ruskin, their rating is very poor. If it's about location, you can chose essex uni.
i tot d sch was ok,im planning 2 study in uk sept. 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:04pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agiemars: i tot d sch was ok,im planning 2 study in uk sept. 2014

Am just giving you my opinion, based solely, on the league rating
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 2:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Coventry is way better than Salford. undecided

what evidence have u got to prove this
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 2:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
spikes C:

Am just giving you my opinion, based solely, on the league rating

sometimes its not all about the general rating, Check specific rating that has to do with ur field of study.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
danny4sure: hello iam for salford but march intake, Wadup, have u made up your mind on choice of school

My cuz is heading to salford but I am still trying to choose between Salford and Coventry. grin

Look bro ur course of study would determine, what do u wanna study? For example Salford Accounting & finance ranking way better than Coventry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agiemars: Please,wat do u guyz think of anglia ruskin university,peterborough,uk?

I wd advice u to look for a better uni, der are soooo many out der dt wd b glad to hv a qualified intl student enroll with them so don't feel too excited that dy gave u an offer, if u hv the qualifications u can b almost 100% sure to get an offer from better schools.

Not like the the school is bad, am sure by Nija standards it is even wonderful cry but by UK standards its rating is rather poor. If u are thinking of settling in the UK pls scratch dt Uni cos those UK ppl no de play with their rankings...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
miz Gene:

I wd advice u to look for a better uni, der are soooo many out der dt wd b glad to hv a qualified intl student enroll with them so don't feel too excited that dy gave u an offer, if u hv the qualifications u can b almost 100% sure to get an offer.

Not like the the school is bad, am sure by Nija standards it is even wonderful cry but by UK standards its rating is rather poor. If u are thinking of settling in the UK pls scratch dt Uni cos those UK ppl no de play with their rankings...

I kinda agree with you but not always, i know peeps that went to not so highly ranked uni and they got good jobs. Going to a good uni is probably just one of the many factors in landing a good job in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 2:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
mayo47:

I kinda agree with you but not always, i know peeps that went to not so highly ranked uni and they got good jobs. Going to a good uni is probably just one of the many factors in landing a good job in the UK.

Well definitely school ranking cn never b d only factor but at least we hv agreed if is a factor. So isn't it better to look for a better ranked school b4 settling for less?
Like I hv said b4, these schools are looking/infact hunting for intl students, both to boost their profile and for d massive fees we pay.so if some1 needs to make a choice, dy (d intl stdnt) shd always go for d best dt they can get.
We are all studying just to hv an edge in d job market so if d school u attended can give u an edge then why shdnt it be considered when applying?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 3:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
miz Gene: ... If u are thinking of settling in the UK pls scratch dt Uni cos those UK ppl no de play with their rankings...

Not entirely true.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 3:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
I dont know how international school ranking works when it comes to getting a job in naija [apart from the obviously popular one]

No hard or fast rule

Outside of Finance, Business consulting...... so many factors come into play- location, skills, experience, personality etc etc
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
Hello NL'ers I would like to know if interviews are still conducted for UK prospective students. If so what kind of questions should I be expecting? Please help your boy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 06, 2013
mayo47:

what evidence have u got to prove this

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Agiemars: 3:50pm On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 3:53pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

I def seen dis a million times but not enough to prove its "far better" than salford... grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
mayo47:
I def seen dis a million times but not enough to prove its "far better" than salford... grin

So you think Salford is better than Coventry ? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Would u please answer my question undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 06, 2013
irun-obo:

Would u please answer my question undecided

I dont know. It depends on the university you are applying to. Not all universities do interviews.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 3:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

So you think Salford is better than Coventry ? undecided

Lol well i neva said dat. I just wanted i to justify ur "far better" statement
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 4:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

the list is dodgy - salford is better than coventry. coventry was a polytechnic up until 1992 & their endowment is a measly £1.5m

salford on the other hand gained university status as far back as the mid 60s & about £7m endowment.

even the last RAE ranking placed salford ahead of coventry. the 2 schools are nothing to write home about though but if pushed, salford is better than coventry.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 4:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agiemars: thanks dear,i want 2 study sociology.

You r welcome.
Pls my dear 2014 Sept is a Looong way off. Don't settle for dt Uni yet until u hv done some gd research on the Uni strength in ur area of study.after dt, if u feel dy r good enuf then u can go ahead.

Generally speaking, It's like choosing Imo state University over Unilag or Ife or UI. (pardon me Imo stars,but truth must b told kiss) but on the other hand, Imo state University has very strong /good Law faculty so in dt instance it is Ok to choose it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 4:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
miz Gene:

Well definitely school ranking cn never b d only factor but at least we hv agreed if is a factor. So isn't it better to look for a better ranked school b4 settling for less?
Like I hv said b4, these schools are looking/infact hunting for intl students, both to boost their profile and for d massive fees we pay.so if some1 needs to make a choice, dy (d intl stdnt) shd always go for d best dt they can get.

We are all studying just to hv an edge in d job market so if d school u attended can give u an edge then why shdnt it be considered when applying?

Yeah i get u one should always aim for the best, going to a top uni is not cheap and that's it. The sacrifice going to a top uni is the high fees & if u aiint got that. Just go to what ur money got to offer and if u put in your best, you surely get the returns. If u can afford any of the top 20 fees den sure good. If not you just try go to a decent uni where the fees are ok, do your best and develop yourself professional wise. This days not all about academic achievement in labour market.i tell anyone if u cant go to any top 20 uni, you can go to the others but not any last 10 ranked uni.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 4:17pm On Dec 06, 2013
irun-obo:
Hello NL'ers I would like to know if interviews are still conducted for UK prospective students. If so what kind of questions should I be expecting? Please help your boy
If u mean for visa, answer is Yes, If u mean for admission then I can't b certain, i can only say that most schools don't except for MBA applicants to the top MBA schools. Infact even most of the biz schools don't bother with it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
Chei ! Kcl invited me to an interview. The lord is my shepherd cry grin embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 4:28pm On Dec 06, 2013
mayo47:

Yeah i get u one should always aim for the best, going to a top uni is not cheap and that's it. The sacrifice going to a top uni is the high fees & if u aiint got that. Just go to what ur money got to offer and if u put in your best, you surely get the returns. If u can afford any of the top 20 fees den sure good. If not you just try go to a decent uni where the fees are ok, do your best and develop yourself professional wise. This days not all about academic achievement in labour market.i tell anyone if u cant go to any top 20 uni, you can go to the others but not any last 10 ranked uni.
Well yes u do have a point.I wasn't specifically referring to the top 20 Uni sha, just a good Uni esp in her area of study.I was just trying to make sure dt she makes a good effort to get a better Uni. Esp since September intakes hv all the schools to choose from and therefore hv more scholarship opportunities open to them....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 4:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123: Chei ! Kcl invited me to an interview. The lord is my shepherd cry grin embarassed
Go show em wink
P.s are u the one on TSR Bradford forum?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 06, 2013
miz Gene:
Go show em wink
P.s are u the one on TSR Bradford forum?

Yes smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Yes smiley
Ok cool. Good luck with ur interview.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 5:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Yes smiley

Lol thot u a coventry uni student so u still back in 9ij judging which uni better than which. Anyways goodluck with ur interview
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
mayo47:

Lol thot u a coventry uni student so u still back in 9ij judging which uni better than which. Anyways goodluck with ur interview

Lol who says I'm in naija ? tongue Mate, I'm a Londoner wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 06, 2013
coogar:

the list is dodgy - salford is better than coventry. coventry was a polytechnic up until 1992 & their endowment is a measly £1.5m

salford on the other hand gained university status as far back as the mid 60s & about £7m endowment.

even the last RAE ranking placed salford ahead of coventry. the 2 schools are nothing to write home about though but if pushed, salford is better than coventry.

That RAE thing. Wasn't it published in 2008 ? Times have changed. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

That RAE thing. Wasn't it published in 2008 ? Times have changed. lipsrsealed

they publish it every 5 years. i am not sure they have published the one due for this year yet but not more could have changed in the last 5 years. salford still get more funds from the government than coventry & that's the key indicator in choosing these schools.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (213) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.