Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (534557 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2015
I'm at Seneca doing project management and will like to remain and work in that field.
I have like 12 years work experience already. What are my options? And how do I proceed?

Hotstepper:

What r u doing now and what would u want to do after? R u in Humber?

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ryd3(m): 7:04am On Jan 07, 2015
Hi. Could y of help with ur own recommended schools for study and arras in terms of fees, jobs and papers? Txs
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omosholakunmi: 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2015
Hello nairalanders, please I need to ask this question on behalf of my very good friend, this friend of mine has finished secondary school in Nigeria as far back as 2000, he didn't make his mathematics in Waec but he was still able to move to a Technical school where he studied an engineering course that is related to Construction, since then he has been working in a construction company in Ajah, Nigeria. Recently we got talking and he told me he would love to further his education in Canada, he will be rewriting his Waec this year and he wants to study structural engineering. My question is 1) will he be considered for admission in Canada? 2) will he also be granted visa at the embassy considering his age, he is now 32. 3) How can he go about the processing that it will be much more easier for him? Advice please...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omosholakunmi: 7:54am On Jan 08, 2015
House please in MUN, I am given 3 options to choose from, either to do my masters in Political Science as internship based, thesis based or paper based and I don't know which is better for my course, so please house, highlight which is better and the reasons for your choice considering deeply the course involved. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2015
Omosholakunmi:
House please in MUN, I am given 3 options to choose from, either to do my masters in Political Science as internship based, thesis based or paper based and I don't know which is better for my course, so please house, highlight which is better and the reasons for your choice considering deeply the course involved. Thanks

What do you desire that made you wanna study in Canada and Political Sc. that will be a guide as to what will be the best option for you..... Meaning, are you just coming to Canada to move there and get a job and all that, or you wanna study and go back to Nigeria and work,,,,, that will be determining factor.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2015
Hi guys, still waiting on advice from the gurus. Abeg help cos going back is not an option. Thanks

@saxywale @fhemmy @hotstepper

jojcanada:
I know I just arrived but will like to start weighing my options post study. I'm doing an 8-month PG in Toronto. What options are available to me?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tee12345(m): 8:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
jojcanada:
Hi guys, still waiting on advice from the gurus. Abeg help cos going back is not an option. Thanks

@saxywale @fhemmy @hotstepper

Get your spouse in as quick as possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 10, 2015
@jojcanada
I am sorry but I can't offer an advice here as I don't know your profession. I also live in the west which is more of an energy and mining hub compared to Toronto which is the financial hub. How many years post study work visa do you receive after your program?.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 4:55am On Jan 10, 2015
Profession is project management and I get a one year pgwp when through

saxywale:
@jojcanada
I am sorry but I can't offer an advice here as I don't know your profession. I also live in the west which is more of an energy and mining hub compared to Toronto which is the financial hub. How many years post study work visa do you receive after your program?.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2015
jojcanada:
Profession is project management and I get a one year pgwp when through

Are you in a regulated profession? If you have professional certificate(s) that is/are accepted worldwide as applicable in the IT field, then that would be an added advantage. Project management on it's own is diverse as it cuts across so many field but. Research your market well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2015
Thanks @Saxywale. My question is not so much about my profession. I have tons of experience in the IT field with tons of globally accepted certifications. What I will like to know is what options are available to obtain residency after doing a one year graduate certificate Course? Is the only route securing a job offer or do an additional one year program?

saxywale:

Are you in a regulated profession? If you have professional certificate(s) that is/are accepted worldwide as applicable in the IT field, then that would be an added advantage. Project management on it's own is diverse as it cuts across so many field but. Research your market well.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
jojcanada:
Thanks @Saxywale. My question is not so much about my profession. I have tons of experience in the IT field with tons of globally accepted certifications. What I will like to know is what options are available to obtain residency after doing a one year graduate certificate Course? Is the only route securing a job offer or do an additional one year program?

OK. much clearer now. You shouldn't have a problem finding a good paying job since IT is not regulated. The way it stands now, the only option for residency is through the Express entry program. Although I believe you would get a year of open work permit i. e post study work temporary residency. To be honest, one year is quite short.

There was a stream called Canadian experience class which most post student use in obtaining residency...but that has now also been merged into the express entry program on the 1st of January. Now one would need an employer that can grant LMIA to obtain sufficient points, 600 points extra out of the total 1200. You may receive points for studies in Canada but I doubt if it's more than 50.

There are some PNP programs too like the Nova scotia and saskatchewan programs(opened to anyone) where you can be nominated by the province to apply under the express entry.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eddyme(m): 9:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
pls i need an advise here am currently studying software enginerring in complete computer institute and
i will graduating this year and i dont know if canadian school use age as a criterials for admission into their
undergraduate programm or i should jsut finish my ND and do a bsc here in nigeria it will be a computer science and most nigeria uni are sometime
difficult to enter through direct entry..also can one work to pay tution fee in canada mostly in newfoundland

psl do give me advise on the age issue i will 26yrs this yr

thanks for your prompt respond
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 11, 2015
eddyme:
pls i need an advise here am currently studying software enginerring in complete computer institute and
i will graduating this year and i dont know if canadian school use age as a criterials for admission into their
undergraduate programm or i should jsut finish my ND and do a bsc here in nigeria it will be a computer science and most nigeria uni are sometime
difficult to enter through direct entry..also can one work to pay tution fee in canada mostly in newfoundland

psl do give me advise on the age issue i will 26yrs this yr

thanks for your prompt respond
https://www.nairaland.com/2035081/travelling-canada-part-7/108
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chiscomax(m): 12:52am On Jan 12, 2015
orisuniye:
Hi all,
Please I need ur help for info on accommodation stuff. I will appreciate it if I can get someone(female) to share with. I am going to Uni of Manitoba for my PG studies.I hope to arrive soon.
Thanks.

please, can we talk? what are the cost and how did you apply? i would like to know more about the manitoba stuff. after the pgd, will u be going for the masters? how long is the pgd?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by squash1986(m): 2:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
deniyor:
Another point(s) to add for the PR program
For those coming as students - there are couple of ways to get your Permanent Residence (PR)

1. Get married
2. Live with a canadian gf for a yr and become common law. You can apply for your PR that way.
3. Finish school, get your post graduate work degree then
a. Work full time for one year, and apply for the "Canadian Experience PR" program. Work hours gained during school may count too
b. Work full time for six months and apply for your provincial immigration nominee program - Needs an offer of full time permanent position.
Just a question pls, after your degree,will the temporary work permit still be effective for you to work for a certain duration till you get a better job.How does it work out. Just for clarification sake.tnxs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 9:37pm On Jan 13, 2015
Thanks @deniyor and @saxywale. I have a good idea of what I need to do to stay back. Accommodation is still a bummer. I keep seeing crappy apartments even the ones that are $700. Soooooo frustrating. Kijiji, prop2go, places4students and easyroommate have all failed me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 12:35am On Jan 15, 2015
Are you currently studying in canada?

squash1986:

Just a question pls, after your degree,will the temporary work permit still be effective for you to work for a certain duration till you get a better job.How does it work out. Just for clarification sake.tnxs
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by shilling(f): 5:42am On Jan 15, 2015
I didn't follow your previous comments, but in what cities are you looking for accommodation? I have a pretty good personal track record of finding great apartments for pretty cheap.

My go-to websites are craiglist and the used..... (insert cityname).com e.g. usedcalgary.com, usedtoronto.com. I check those websites every hour or so and contact landlords immediately to arrange a viewing. Obviously, don't share any personal information with whoever posts the ad. Hope that helps.

jojcanada:
Thanks @deniyor and @saxywale. I have a good idea of what I need to do to stay back. Accommodation is still a bummer. I keep seeing crappy apartments even the ones that are $700. Soooooo frustrating. Kijiji, prop2go, places4students and easyroommate have all failed me.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
I'm looking for a place in Toronto. Something near York university. I have seen the worst of the worst. 14 in a house et al

shilling:
I didn't follow your previous comments, but in what cities are you looking for accommodation? I have a pretty good personal track record of finding great apartments for pretty cheap.

My go-to websites are craiglist and the used..... (insert cityname).com e.g. usedcalgary.com, usedtoronto.com. I check those websites every hour or so and contact landlords immediately to arrange a viewing. Obviously, don't share any personal information with whoever posts the ad. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mroyato(m): 2:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
@Jojcanada and others already in canada
Please I would like to know about the requirements of a study permit visa especially the monetary part..did u have to pay your tuition before being granted or how did you do it?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mroyato(m): 2:36pm On Jan 15, 2015
Chiscomax:

please, can we talk? what are the cost and how did you apply? i would like to know more about the manitoba stuff. after the pgd, will u be going for the masters? how long is the pgd?

There are many universities in the province of manitoba such as brandon,winnipeg & d manitoba uni itself...I do not know abt d cost of pgd but u.manitoba offers d cheapest masters degree in that province abt 9000 canadian dollars so I think pgd shud be less or abt that range..as per application its simple and straight. Apply online with abt $100, then arrange for your transcript, english tests and certificate to be sent there..you can also check if your preferred dept requires some other docs like cv, letter of intent, and others
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 8:42pm On Jan 18, 2015
Eku Sunday people. Finally positive temperature in Toronto at 3 degrees. Have a blessed week all
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omosholakunmi: 1:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
After my studies, I planned staying and working there, so which should I go for, the internship, thesis or paper based graduate program?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by shilling(f): 9:28pm On Jan 19, 2015
jojcanada:
I'm looking for a place in Toronto. Something near York university. I have seen the worst of the worst. 14 in a house et al

I have a few friends who study/work at York and have had great luck finding apartments downtown and around Bathurst and Sheppard. A friend is sharing a spacious 2 bedroom apartment and is paying around $900. There are many good apartments, you just have to keep looking multiple times a day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 4:54am On Jan 22, 2015
Thanks I found a place today. A nice condo in york

Update on spouse. He applied for visit visa last week Monday and got it today.

When he gets here we'll apply for change of circumstances or whatever that application is. It takes only a few weeks with all medical and police clearance done upfront. Will provide update as we go along.

shilling:

I have a few friends who study/work at York and have had great luck finding apartments downtown and around Bathurst and Sheppard. A friend is sharing a spacious 2 bedroom apartment and is paying around $900. There are many good apartments, you just have to keep looking multiple times a day.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tee12345(m): 11:34am On Jan 22, 2015
Nice one on your spouse.

jojcanada:
Thanks I found a place today. A nice condo in york

Update on spouse. He applied for visit visa last week Monday and got it today.

When he gets here we'll apply for change of circumstances or whatever that application is. It takes only a few weeks with all medical and police clearance done upfront. Will provide update as we go along.

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 042mayor: 5:54pm On Feb 08, 2015
Good day nairalannders I need advices from students studying in MEmorial university new found land I am applying for a bsc in nursing I have my Waec result with all distinction and a c in English and I have a one year semester transcript in medicine from tblisi state medical university and my grades are good too I need help on how to apply to MUN I have sent mails to almost everybody in their website contact but they keep on confusing me with there replies
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by influential01: 3:25am On Feb 22, 2015
Please have a friend of mine wish to study in Canada for bsc in Economic and he is 34yrs of age. I don't want to discourage him that he is over age for acquiring BSC.so I told him I will help him make enquiries how to go about it.

Please what are the steps he will make to get admission and chances of getting study visa. He only has national diploma in computer science at Yaba college of tech. 2006.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 24, 2015
Hello my people. In believe this is the right forum for me to relate my own issues.
I got 2 years visiting visa to canada last october and america visa will expire sept with my two kids. My intension was for student visa so this January I applied for student visa but was denied.
I already have admission for a 2year course in centinniel college and 1 year course in Holland college prince edward.part school fees paid 2600cad.
I still want to meet up with may admission. Can I change my status in canada to student within this period. How often do they deny visa there.

My major problem is that I understand that this will take 45 to 6 weeks .
I currently have a job but my employer in nigeria
will not allow me leave unless I resign.
Please looking at my situation do you advise I resign and go for canada straight away or stay back in nigeria and reapply.
I intend to visit canada this month but it may be a waste spending such money for visiting rather than stay back and accomplish my aim.
Last one . I can't leave my 2 kids behind. How hard are these steps .
Will appreciate your response and reactions please
Bukola

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 24, 2015
More on my post please. Is it possible to convert to student visa from canada for less than 3 weeks. So I can use my leave period to do that then come home and resign officially. What do you think please .......

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.