Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,858 members, 7,817,541 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (35417 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Successful Career Women Can't Have It All - Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by emmatok(m): 4:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
hbabe:

I honestly cannot believe some people's comments here!
I wish I had time to reply to some really silly comments but work comes first.

I have been well advised by some really intelligent people here especially the working mothers amongst us and I am working on those tips.

I advise people like Freshcvv and Mutter to stick to the topic and quit the insult.  Just offer ways you have coped or seen people cope; lets act like adults, please.

@Freshcvv
I do have a plan B; that's the reason I married my husband.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it! tongue

HMM,

WOMAN!!!

Na wetin you wan do next.

Abegi small small oo
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 16, 2012
hbabe:

lol
What happened to sharing chores?

ha, that one no reach for washing cars o! cheesy cheesy

Tobiegal:

@uju:
And u actually tik i wash d car?

I just drive it to d garage to get it washed , max i'd ask our cleaner for office to wash it,

No biggie, really.

Ehen, now u r talking . . . fear for catch me!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 5:01pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

That was when queensmith was championing that all chores should be split

In days you hear noise in the living room at night, Do you take turns to check if there is an intruder?

When the car breaks down, Do you take turns to get under the hood, Go to autozone, buy parts and fix it.

When electrical appliances develop faults do you take turns to fix it? when plubing works needs to be done, do you take turns at it too?

When lawns need to be mowed, Do you have a timetable for it?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by allycat: 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
Hbabe, pele dear. Asking for advice on nairaland can get you a mixed bag of reactions some good, some bad and some downright ugly. But the most important thing is to sit with your husband and discuss what will be best for you two. What works for couple A does not always work for couple B. I have been married for over 10 years and have had a maid for most of the time. My husband only  started doing the laundry (with a washing machine please) 2 years ago because I was  ill and bed  bound and he couldn't imagine anyone else touching his underwear. But since then he took that chore as his own and still does the laundry . Other than that the only thing he ever does is to feed his dog and bath it when it gets too smelly and I refuse to allow it in my house. My working hours can be eratic, I am a surgeon and can be called out of the house at any time, to make matters worse my husband travels a lot and feels more at ease if there is another adult in the house when he is not around. For about 6 months last year I did not have any help and my husband was miserable because I was too tired at the end of every day to sit and gist with him. I'm used to my house being spotless and would not rest till every thing was done. So I was no longer available to watch FCBarcelona play and analyse the match with him or stay up till 2 am to watch the American superbowl. Neither did I want to go out at weekends cos there was so much to do at home. In the end he started asking all his sisters and mine to get us a house help. There were just 2 ground rules he insisted on , one was that no house help came into our bedroom and that once I was around I personally served his food.

house help.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Allycat
Thank you so much. It's always nice to hear from those more experienced than us.
I have talked to my husband and hopefully things will be different this weekend or I use my plan 'B'. tongue

emmatok:

HMM,

WOMAN!!!

Na wetin you wan do next.

Abegi small small oo

Bros, abeg put me down o. Na joke I dey o.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

That was when queensmith was championing that all chores should be split

In days you hear noise in the living room at night, Do you take turns to check if there is an intruder?

When the car breaks down, Do you take turns to get under the hood, Go to autozone, buy parts and fix it.

When electrical appliances develop faults do you take turns to fix it? when plubing works needs to be done, do you take turns at it too?

When lawns need to be mowed, Do you have a timetable for it?

My husband is almost completely hopeless at doing the ‘manly’ things in the house. Even the simple ones he can do like changing the light bulbs, he won’t do until I nag, nag and nag.  I do probably up to 90% of those things and the ones I’m not willing to do, we pay someone to do it.

Mowing the lawn? It does not happen until I nag nag nag. This year, we paid someone to do it for us. Split the payment 50/50. Shikena.  grin Same for clearing our snow. After the first year of our driveway being the most unkept in the neighbourhood, we were glad to pony up the money for the snow clearing company!

Plumbing work? Na me and google dey do am.

Car breaks down? No one’s looking under no hood. Straight to mechanic. He takes his car, I take mine.

Hearing a noise outside in the dark? He will do a cursory look after I blast him for not looking. I will often go and check again!!!

My husband is a good cook and cooks at least 50% of the time, often more.

Funny thing is the CEO at my new job is the exact same way. Not a single technical bone in his body. His wife does it all!

I also have to say that these manly chores come up at far less of a frequency than cooking and cleaning so IMO even if the guy does the bulk of them, he has not contributed fairly to the work of the house yet!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
ileobatojo:

My husband is almost completely hopeless at doing the ‘manly’ things in the house. Even the simple ones he can do like changing the light bulbs, he won’t do until I nag, nag and nag. I do probably up to 90% of those things and the ones I’m not willing to do, we pay someone to do it.

Mowing the lawn? It does not happen until I nag nag nag. This year, we paid someone to do it for us. Split the payment 50/50. Shikena. grin Same for clearing our snow. After the first year of our driveway being the most unkept in the neighbourhood, we were glad to pony up the money for the snow clearing company!

Plumbing work? Na me and google dey do am.

Car breaks down? No one’s looking under no hood. Straight to mechanic. He takes his car, I take mine.

Hearing a noise outside in the dark? He will do a cursory look after I blast him for not looking. I will often go and check again!!!

My husband is a good cook and cooks at least 50% of the time, often more.

Funny thing is the CEO at my new job is the exact same way. Not a single technical bone in his body. His wife does it all!

I also have to say that these manly chores come up at far less of a frequency than cooking and cleaning so IMO even if the guy does the bulk of them, he has not contributed fairly to the work of the house yet!!!

I think I may have married your husband 'brother'.
My husband cannot fix simple electrical things that I can do, he doesn't even do a check of faulty equipments; he just calls the technicians.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Dyt(f): 5:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^ hmmm
u v got a chicken dere ma'am
so sorry
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 16, 2012
hbabe:

I think I may have married your husband 'brother'.
My husband cannot fix simple electrical things that I can do, he doesn't even do a check of faulty equipments; he just calls the technicians.

Lol! At least he calls the technician!! Let me not talk again o!  grin

I’m glad he listened to you when you spoke to him. He’s not doing the 'manly' or the ‘womanly' things? Ah ah. E wan kill you? Hopefully things will change now.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 5:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
Dyt:

^^ hmmm
u v got a chicken dere ma'am
so sorry
Nothing to be sorry about. You will be surprised to learn where his strength lies.
We all have our strength and weaknesses.

ileobatojo:

Lol! At least he calls the technician!! Let me not talk again o! grin

I’m glad he listened to you when you spoke to him. He’s not doing the 'manly' or the ‘womanly' things? Ah ah. E wan kill you? Hopefully things will change now.
Things will change.
I plan to draw out a schedule over the weekend so we know who does what. He cannot cook to save his life so cooking still comes to me but I intend to teach him how to make basic meals.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 5:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
hbabe:

Nothing to be sorry about. You will be surprised to learn where his strength lies.
We all have our strength and weaknesses.
Things will change.
I plan to draw out a schedule over the weekend so we know who does what. He cannot cook to save his life so cooking still comes to me but I intend to teach him how to make basic meals.

I hope you used my Ferrari analogy for him?

I hope you told him you were a Ferrari that needs to be handled with care?

It helps with the clarity.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 5:51pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sagamite:

I hope you used my Ferrari analogy for him?

I hope you told him you were a Ferrari that needs to be handled with care?

It helps with the clarity.

Hahahaha!
You know most men think all it takes to maintain a woman is make money available; they forget about the wear and tear. But he did read your write up and argument.

I actually threatened to start doing my chores whenever he is Hot! undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 6:01pm On Feb 16, 2012
@saga's post, that bunch of hypocritical racist bull shit should be added to a thread titled the dumbest i've ever heard! mshew!
what a whole load da crap! i cant get over how stupid you sound. dear lawd almighty- black men date white women because they have swagger? they are strong? o spare me the arrogant bull crap PUHLEEEEZE!

Without being racist, let me tell you. The reason most interracial couples are blackmen/whitewomen is because black men are the least loyal of all races, they are least respecting of black woman. and only black men use the women as an excuse for their life failures.
Unfortunately when it comes to black women, the sentiment isn't reciprocated. I would have stated white men actually do find black women attractive but that will just be speculation I have no time to prove. Nevertheless the women serve the men with undeserved loyalty, and that is why they don't tend to date other men.
and if i was to be racist, i will say it's because black men are easy, and will date anything in skirt.

Dayo, your having a laugh arent u? Your having a joke? your going to compare DAILY COMPULSORY activities to the odd hypothetical one? SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? I cant indulge the argument it's a foolish one. If a man will compare mowing the lawn (something i'm sure most of them don't even do!) to strenious things women find themselves doing every day, like cooking for 5 hours. Then I don't see the point.

talking like every man is a mechanic or knows a damn thing about electrical appliances, mshew, men are not needed for anything around the home. Any woman that says otherwise is as retarded as the men that drive their wives as slaves.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 6:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^ And where in the world do women cook for 5hours everyday?

Even people that run canteens dont cook 5 hrs perday
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

@saga's post, that bunch of hypocritical racist bull poo should be added to a thread titled the dumbest i've ever heard! mshew!
what a whole load da crap! i cant get over how silly you sound. dear lawd almighty- black men date white women because they have swagger? they are strong? o spare me the arrogant bull crap PUHLEEEEZE!

Without being racist, let me tell you. The reason most interracial couples are blackmen/whitewomen is because black men are the least loyal of all races, they are least respecting of black woman. and only black men use the women as an excuse for their life failures.
Unfortunately when it comes to black women, the sentiment isn't reciprocated. I would have stated white men actually do find black women attractive but that will just be speculation I have no time to prove. Nevertheless the women serve the men with undeserved loyalty, and that is why they don't tend to date other men.
and if i was to be racist, i will say it's because black men are easy, and will date anything in skirt.

Dayo, your having a laugh arent u? Your having a joke? your going to compare DAILY COMPULSORY activities to the odd hypothetical one? SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? I cant indulge the argument it's a foolish one. If a man will compare mowing the lawn (something i'm sure most of them don't even do!) to strenious things women find themselves doing every day, like cooking for 5 hours. Then I don't see the point.

talking like every man is a mechanic or knows a damn thing about electrical appliances, mshew, men are not needed for anything around the home. Any woman that says otherwise is as slow as the men that drive their wives as slaves.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you "Dr". grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What utter idoicy and a whole bunch of poohuna!

This one will pass Medical School as "Doctor"?

Yeah right! Only in the same medical school as fstranger. grin (i.e. the one that does not exist)
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 6:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
who said anything about medical schoolmoron?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 6:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

who said anything about medical schoolmoron?

Shut up, cretin!

White men or Black men will not want your Obese arse. No fcking loyalty can save you from that. grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

^^ And where in the world do women cook for 5hours everyday?

Even people that run canteens dont cook 5 hrs perday

is that your new argument? That it doesnt actually take long to cook Nigerian food so it's not actually strenious? Or are you just nit picking?
ah you must be right dayo- it only takes 10minutes, thats why all these women are cooking over long weekends and storing it in the freezer for months on end. It's actually indomie they are cooking like that.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 6:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sagamite:

Shut up, cretin!

White men or Black men will not want your Obese arse. No fcking loyalty can save you from that. grin

it amuses me to see you sulk like this, i find it amusing.

carry on id[i]i[/i]ot!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 6:23pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

it amuses me to see you sulk like this, i find it amusing.

carry on id[i]i[/i]ot!

It makes me ecstatic to see everyone left, right and centre attack you and say the same thing to your Obese arse. That is:

You have a vile character upon your ugliness. grin

I am beginning to think you are not mentally balanced (like Becomerich and cap28) because someone can not be these wrong from head to toe.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

is that your new argument? That it doesnt actually take long to cook Nigerian food so it's not actually strenious? Or are you just nit picking?
ah you must be right dayo- it only takes 10minutes, thats why all these women are cooking over long weekends and storing it in the freezer for months on end. It's actually indomie they are cooking like that.

I grew up eating Nigerian food and my mom worked fulltime and cooks daily but never does she spend combined 5 hours cooking in one single day unless theres a party going on somewhere.

Is it everyday you cook fresh soup? Is it everyday you kill goat and cook ?

I cook and most single guys cook too I doubt it takes a combined 5hours per day.

Cooking for how many people? a whole village?

Most of your points are poorly argued. E.g It takes 5hours to cook per day, White women dont cook for their family etc
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 6:42pm On Feb 16, 2012
^ i think i can sum both those points up.

1) I mentioned earlier, i have no intentions of arguing how long it takes to cook african food. Maybe for you preparing a pot of egunsi takes 5 miniutes.We know the truth and the reality of our foods- that our men demand. It's not an easy thing. Talkless of the amount of time it will take Nigerians to trudge through those disorganised markets looking for ingredients, an extra kudos to those that eat proper pounded yam. It's no walk in the park, it will be disrespectful to suggest so.

The amount of time i spent writing this reply i couldve finished a white persons dinner- even a posh one like roasted salmon in white wine sauce, [s]they dont need the food properly cooked most of the time anyways[/s] (ok that was racist embarassed)
anyways Dayo if the food is soo easy to prepare- then it shouldnt be soo difficult for the men to prepare it. Unless a man is physically handicapped I struggle to see why he shouldn't do anything in the house. Thats just pure lazy!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 6:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
- Most families dont cook egusi daily. Most families cook pot of soup to last them for days and just warm it daily

- The man was eating before he got married either by cooking or buying food.

When you get married, there are some roles you pick up and some you might drop. e.g a man that was cooking for himself before marriage might have to reduce it when married, the woman that was fixing her electrical appliances, taking charge of her security, fixing her car somehow before marriage might reduce it after marriage.

If you insist on both keeping their pre-marriage roles then whats the point living together or being married
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

1) I mentioned earlier, i have no intentions of arguing how long it takes to cook african food. Maybe for you preparing a pot of egunsi takes 5 miniutes.We know the truth and the reality of our foods- that our men demand. It's not an easy thing. Talkless of the amount of time it will take Nigerians to trudge through those disorganised markets looking for ingredients, an extra kudos to those that eat proper pounded yam. It's no walk in the park, it will be disrespectful to suggest so.

The amount of time i spent writing this reply i couldve finished a white persons dinner- even a posh one like roasted salmon in white wine sauce, [s]they dont need the food properly cooked most of the time anyways[/s] (ok that was racist embarassed)
anyways Dayo if the food is soo easy to prepare- then it shouldnt be soo difficult for the men to prepare it. Unless a man is physically handicapped I struggle to see why he shouldn't do anything in the house. Thats just pure lazy!

I cook my own egusi soup from scratch and it takes me max 20 mins to put ingredients together and no more than 1 hr all together. Seriously what is your point? I cook ofe owerri myself, i make my own pepper soup, efo riro, ewedu, okra soup with panla . . . so exactly what is it that you women do that we shld bow down and kiss your feet for? Laundry - easy: just make sure you have a designated spot for your clothes and get a washer and dryer. Cleaning house - get urself a carpet and hardwood cleaner, run over your floors once a week. What else is special about you?

Thankfully my mom made sure she taught me everything around the house, its always a shock when i tell most of my partners that i would hardly miss them if they dropped off the face of the earth.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

try preparing some beef stew - it takes me 4-5 hrs of hard labor.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 7:11pm On Feb 16, 2012
davidylan:

I cook my own egusi soup from scratch and it takes me max 20 mins to put ingredients together and no more than 1 hr all together. Seriously what is your point? I cook ofe owerri myself, i make my own pepper soup, efo riro, ewedu, okra soup with panla . . . so exactly what is it that you women do that we shld bow down and kiss your feet for? Laundry - easy: just make sure you have a designated spot for your clothes and get a washer and dryer. Cleaning house - get urself a carpet and hardwood cleaner, run over your floors once a week. What else is special about you?

Thankfully my mom made sure she taught me everything around the house, its always a shock when i tell most of my partners that i would hardly miss them if they dropped off the face of the earth.

Most guys before getting married had a way of cooking and eating. You dont need to be an excellent cook to feed yourself. I dont throw away food, If it comes out bad, I must eat it that way

and with cooking you can learn on the job. The things you cant cook, read up online, I learnt some recipes from MissyB's page on NL.

I can tell you I eat out max 2 times a week every meal I cook.

In this new world, washing plates = dishwasher, washing clothes = washing machine, Cleaning = vacuum cleaner. even boiling rice nowadays has been made easy buy those rice boliers, plug them to mains and go to sleep shikena!!!

Is it the gargantuan effort to load the clothes in the washing machine or the muscle to load plates in the dish washer?

When girls go to visit their bfs maybe for weekends, he would likely cede control of the kitchen to the woman, but when you are gone, he resumes back to the place
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2012
Exactly with these aids you only need to be organised and not make unnecessary mess.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:30pm On Feb 16, 2012
Na pot of soup you go dey chop for those few days? and how abt the remaining days? eh dayokanu tongue

you know what, you guys just drag on this whole case but really can't win.

men should help women with cooking and house chore just as women are helping with making money.
there is nothing like 'women chore or men chore'. help each other in the house, kitchen etc.

get take out, eat out, pizza etc food you or wifey did not cook atimes.
get pizza hut, domino, papa johns, kfc, popeyes, burger king etc they do have healthy choices on their menu.
get TGIF, italian, jamaica, indian, mexican, steak house, country food eatery order card handy.

life is good grin grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
ewwww, what's that inside the pot david grin?

20mins egusi is like lipsrsealed
please come and eat real ofe egusi from nwa mama (oxtail, ponmo, crayfish, spinach, ugu, bitterleaf, tinko, mangala, bonga, atarodo, tatashe all dey inside). not that Rachel Ray egusi soup of 20 mins you dey take brag here grin.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
the dish don't walk into the machine do they? grin you load and unload it. that na work now tongue
washing machine don't load itself. you sort, load and wash. not talk of folding o tongue
vacuum cleaner don't plug and run around playing boo boo while cleanin for u abi? you still gotta do it.

ummm, let me read on. David, keep it up with cooking and don't ever change grin.

men and women should help each other. no more no less.

dayo, that your role lessen after marriage no complete. you should have added working and after marriage stopped working to the list now grin tongue
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

Na pot of soup you go dey chop for those few days? and how abt the remaining days? eh dayokanu tongue

After pot of soup and stew the rest na breeze. Anyone can prepare rice or  does rice take 5hours to cook also?

Pounded yam for me alone takes less than 10mins, which 5 mins is to boil the water, Eba takes less time
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 7:45pm On Feb 16, 2012
The issue of the man helping does not even arise.
A career woman that cannot manage or organise her husband shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Pregnant Lady Who Survived Fire Burn Shares Lovely Pregnancy Photos / Wife Dies In Anambra State, Husband Joins Her Weeks To Her Burial. Photos / Am I Doing The Right Thing Or I Will Regret It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.