Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,594 members, 7,816,466 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (35405 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Successful Career Women Can't Have It All - Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by emmatok(m): 2:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

12inches thats not Kitty worship. Thats transactional sex. And the reason why its soo predominant in Nigeria is because the men have nothing to offer but their money. Someone said we have a culture of draining mens finances, why will we not when men continue to use it as leverage and the women refuse to work? We end up with a culture that confines a woman to the kitchen regardless of whether or not she is also doing other things.

@chaircover im assuming your a housewife. And when i say housewife minus your maternity leave youve worked less hours outside of the home than your husband.
Many nigerian women trade a career for a marriage and a job for children, still doesnt mean they are on this earth to cook and clean. Cooking is not rocket science and neither is cleaning. Women with with professions do not behave like housewives. It's simply not possible, we may take a 50/50 opinon differently oyibo women are not subjected to thier husbands like Nigerian women are. Nobody can deny this. I[b]ts not a misconception, how many oyibo women do you know serve their husbands?  How many full time working oyibo women do you know cook and clean without the husbands help? How many full time working oyibo women don't contribute to the house's expenses? Please marriage is very very equal, as equal as it can get anyways. [/b]

Here come the hypocrisy,

Every little thing we compare with OYINBO MAN/WOMAN.

Sorry alot of OYINBO woman clean and cook with or without their hubby's help.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 2:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

Get the picture: she's not with kids, just the 2 of them, they both go to work, come back late, you only gets to prepare food for 2 people (herself and one other person), yet she's crying of stress, now picture it, what happens when she's:

pregnant?
with a kid?
2 kids?
teenagers who need parents around to guide them?

Conclusively, not everyone is meant to do a 5am-8pm job, it will only get you mad and make life miserable for you. she does not sound like someone that can handle just her hubby not to talk of the above mentioned.

Let her get something (a job or a business) that gives her more time to enjoy her life, food, young marriage.

Why live a life of the ancient slavery days when the only time couples (slaves) see each-other is late in the night after stressing all through the day?

That does not answer my questions.

Try again.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

Get the picture: she's not with kids, just the 2 of them, they both go to work, come back late, you only gets to prepare food for 2 people (herself and one other person), yet she's crying of stress, now picture it, what happens when she's:

pregnant?
with a kid?
2 kids?
teenagers who need parents around to guide them?

Conclusively, not everyone is meant to do a 5am-8pm job, it will only get you mad and make life miserable for you. she does not sound like someone that can handle just her hubby not to talk of the above mentioned.

Let her get something (a job or a business) that gives her more time to enjoy her life, food, young marriage.

Why live a life of the ancient slavery days when the only time couples (slaves) see each-other is late in the night after stressing all through the day?

What if hubby is in a better position to get a less stressful job undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 2:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sagamite a woman that cannot cope with a career and a family is not a career woman.
A career woman can function under all conditions.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 2:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
@ Mutter: Am sure no one is underminding the role of a stay-at -home mom,

While on maternity leave, i had to stay at home for 3months, and trust mi, it was not funnie. There was always something to do.

At the same time, not every woman can afford to stay at home while the husband goes to work. If you reside in nigeria, lagos, you understand that it truely takes two to make any home work.

Who wouldnt want to take their child to school? Or do u think am all smiles having to wake my son up as early as 5am to prepare for creche(child-minders u call them)? NO. Bt, mommy must work! ANd i always tell him that, "mom loves u, bt, mommi must work'

So, the income we get working, is used to get a very good creche, which is were my son stays, and am not the least bodad cos i know he's simply fine.

Its easy to say one should get a flexible job, bt are we still talking about lagos the only flexible job u get is with telecomms, and dey aint employing!

How do u go into business or buying and selling without having the capital to fund or even sustain it?

At the end of the day, what matters the most is knowing that you the mother is fine, and your family is doing great. We cant measure the success of a stay at home mom to that of a working mother, because at the end of the day, most of us are products of working mothers, and they didnt just have us, they have like 4 of us, so, if we are doing fine as adults, so will our children.

Besides, most of those that do stay at home, still have maids that cook, wash , clean and look after their children, so, wot difference does dat make?!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 2:23pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Sagamite

Sorry was never in the first place answering your question, but if you wanted an answer, the answer lies in my comment if you read carefully without a defensive mindset.

Ujujoan:

What if hubby is in a better position to get a less stressful job    undecided

But is the Hubby the one complaining here? do not make this a feminist issue, the hubby won't get pregnant for 9 months, won't breastfeed either so even if the hubby gets a less stressful job, is he going to be carrying the pregnancy or breastfeeding for her? grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 2:25pm On Feb 16, 2012
mutter:

Sagamite a woman that cannot cope with a career and a family is not a career woman.
A career woman can function under all conditions.

Please give the babe some air!

She's only seeking for advise, probably newly married, it takes time to adjust to things that u aint used to.

Dat she asking for help doesnt mean she cant function 'under all conditions'

give her a break! abeg!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 2:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

Please give the babe some air!

She's only seeking for advise, probably newly married, it takes time to adjust to things that u aint used to.

Dat she asking for help doesnt mean she cant function 'under all conditions'

give her a break! abeg!

what is actually there that she ain't used to?

cooking for herself?
washing her own plates?
arranging her home house?

is it because one person joined her in what is suppose to be a normal routine before?

how many plates does the hubby use?
how often does the hubby eat at home? maybe once in the night i believe
and is the hubby a baby that needs to be dressed up daily before work?

so what exactly is she doing at home that's actually hard? please i need enlightenment here.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 2:31pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal, I hope you realise that there is a difference between a working wife and a career wife. Most women who claim they are career mums or wife `s  are actually just working.

I certainly am not condemning mothers that work and certainly you cant always get a flexible job. I know how it i in lagos, worked there some years myself and had two kid, it was hard, especially the traffic  angry
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

@Sagamite

Sorry was never in the first place answering your question, but if you wanted an answer, the answer lies in my comment if you read carefully without a defensive mindset.

But is the Hubby the one complaining here? do not make this a feminist issue, the hubby won't get pregnant for 9 months, won't breastfeed either so even if the hubby gets a less stressful job, is he going to be carrying the pregnancy or breastfeeding for her? grin grin grin grin

Somehow with this coment, you managed to make women look like victims. undecided And I'm the feminist one?

Besides, she's not complaining cos she's pregnant or breastfeeding!

We talk about pregnancy, breast-feeding bla bla bla . . . as if that's all a woman's life is all about. Does it take one's whole lifetime to do these things? Why should she have to stop her life because of them My mum had a full time job and still managed to have 9 children and breast fed all of them. Did it kill her? No! Instead my dad was the one who died young.

In my opinion, it's easier for me to dress up and go to work with my pregnancy, than stay at home and wash, cook, clean, e.t.c.

Somehow you are forgeting that a stay at home mom is not idle. That itself is a full time job and can be very very stressful!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 2:49pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

@Sagamite

What you need to be educated on is that:

No 1, don't assume something is a failure or un-rectifiable just because of some little problem. You have to learn to critically analyse and generate options and not jump to the first conclusions and options that come to your mind.

No 2, there is a difference in practicality and rewards of different options. You think everyone wants to live petty trader lifestyle or it is as rewarding as her life in her job will pan out?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 2:49pm On Feb 16, 2012
mutter:

I know how it i in lagos, worked there some years myself and had two kid, it was hard, especially the traffic  angry

Aside d traffic(dats still very terrible) a whole lot of things are not what they used to be. And with husband's salary alone, trust mi wen i say, mom must work!

Whether career mom or working mom, not sure i know d difference sha, all i know is dat dey both earn their pay at the end of the month and are prone to get promoted when d time is rite

freshcvv:

what is actually there that she ain't used to?

cooking for herself?
washing her own plates?
arranging her home house?

is it because one person joined her in what is suppose to be a normal routine before?

how many plates does the hubby use?
how often does the hubby eat at home? maybe once in the night i believe
and is the hubby a baby that needs to be dressed up daily before work?

so what exactly is she doing at home that's actually hard? please i need enlightenment here.
. grin

The difference is simple:

Before i got married, when i get home form work, i simply walk to the kitchen to get ma food cos ma mom wld ave fixed that for me. I may wash the plates or leave for the maid to do that, as for washing, we had a washman who does all the washing, while the maid would do the cleaning, she's was ma time-keeper and wld wake mi up in the morning, sometimes, assist to iron ma clothes, are u getting ma drift.

Now am married, n i have to fix us food to eat when we both get home at the same time, say 8pm, i use the washing machine instead of a washman(which now am thinking is better cos i dont ave to spread d clothes grin) and i ave to clean the house cos i have no maid, and be the time-keeper for hubby n baby cos i cant afford to be late to work!

Dat is the difference.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 2:52pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sagamite:

What you need to be educated on is that:

No 1, don't assume something is a failure or un-rectifiable just because of some little problem. You have to learn to critically analyse and generate options and not jump to the first conclusions and options that come to your mind.

No 2, there is a difference in practicality and rewards of different options. You think everyone wants to live petty trader lifestyle?

Sorry but who said anything is a failure? i said NOT everyone is made for 5am-8pm JOBS. please read well before putting words in my mouth.

@UJU,

We are not competing please, what i wrote stands,  if she can't handle just the hubby now, what is she going to do when what i listed start happening? and yes  pregnancy and  breastfeeding  is likely going to fall in too, so i am on point with that, what happens when all these fall into place?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 2:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

Aside d traffic(dats still very terrible) a whole lot of things are not what they used to be. And with husband's salary alone, trust mi wen i say, mom must work!

Whether career mom or working mom, not sure i know d difference sha, all i know is dat dey both earn their pay at the end of the month and are prone to get promoted when d time is rite
. grin

The difference is simple:

Before i got married, when i get home form work, i simply walk to the kitchen to get ma food cos ma mom wld ave fixed that for me. I may wash the plates or leave for the maid to do that, as for washing, we had a washman who does all the washing, while the maid would do the cleaning, she's was ma time-keeper and wld wake mi up in the morning, sometimes, assist to iron ma clothes, are u getting ma drift.

Now am married, n i have to fix us food to eat when we both get home at the same time, say 8pm, i use the washing machine instead of a washman(which now am thinking is better cos i dont ave to spread d clothes grin) and i ave to clean the house cos i have no maid, and be the time-keeper for hubby n baby cos i cant afford to be late to work!

Dat is the difference.

But the OP is not you right? undecided

I doubt if the OP had maids, had mom cooking for her at her "working" age nor got all these things you are talking about, hence the reason she must not do what others are doing because everyone ain't same and some can tolerate, endure and take more stress than others. grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

Sorry but who said anything is a failure? i said NOT everyone is made for 5am-8pm JOBS. please read well before putting words in my mouth.

@UJU,

We are not competing please, what i wrote stands, if she can't handle just the hubby now, what is she going to do when what i listed start happening? and yes pregnancy and breastfeeding is likely going to fall in too, so i am on point with that, what happens when all these fall into place?

I just found out you are a man so I really do not have anythig more to say to you! undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^

So because i am a man, i shouldn't say things the way they should be? you just found out i am a man because my opinion differs from yours? undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sagamite:

You think everyone wants to live petty trader lifestyle or it is ad rewarding as her life in her job will pan out?

Exactly. I guess that's why he assumes being an entrepreneur is not going to be more difficult than an 8-5 job. Just go and open a shop somewhere right?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 3:01pm On Feb 16, 2012
All these talk from yesterday, see this is a simple matter no need flogging the issue more than we have done.

1. Married couples help yourselves. shocked shocked shocked

2. Women be responsible wives and don't think because you are a career woman your homes have to suffer. angry

3. Nigeria men, help your wives, it will not hurt or harm you, if you helped with the dishes or laundry at times, it does not take anything from you, it even shows you are the neat type. cool

4. women cook ooooo, find time to cook, i hope you don't get married to gluttons that can eat stones and still not get filled, smiley smiley also hope you get married to a good cook too, wink wink it is fun when you cook together sometimes, but do not assume your husband has to share that duty equaly with you.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshcvv(m): 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
@ileobatojo

Being your own boss gives your power over your own time. that alone is enough to solve most of her domestic problems,
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

@ileobatojo

Being your own boss gives your power over your own time. that alone is enough to solve most of her domestic problems,

Sure it gives you power. But setting yourself up to work a few measly hours a day will not a successful business make.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
freshcvv:

You scolded her to quit her job and do something else. A Plan B!

Why would you do such if you do not already believe Plan A was not viable?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 4:01pm On Feb 16, 2012
I honestly cannot believe some people's comments here!
I wish I had time to reply to some really silly comments but work comes first.

I have been well advised by some really intelligent people here especially the working mothers amongst us and I am working on those tips.

I advise people like Freshcvv and Mutter to stick to the topic and quit the insult. Just offer ways you have coped or seen people cope; lets act like adults, please.

@Freshcvv
I do have a plan B; that's the reason I married my husband. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! tongue
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 4:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

My husband n i work in the same area, so we come n go home together,  and when we get home depending on the time, we may just get some bread n eat with stew! Thankfully, hubby isnt the food type,  so he doesnt really boader mi whether there's food or not. Thats one understanding we both have.

[size=18pt]Abt the chores, frankly in my house, there's no wife work or hubby work,  we do d work as it comes,  if after i make dinner n d plates r unwashed,  he'l just pick dem up and do d washing,  if i see d house is dusty,  i take d broom sweep n mop,  if he sees dirty clothes in d lundry basket, he'l just thrown dem in d washin machine n dats done,  and its does make life easy for me, for us, and guess wot I DONT HAVE A MAID![/size]

I suspect you are married to a White man cos we are made to believe by some posters that only white men can do this
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 4:23pm On Feb 16, 2012
Queensmith,

maybe I should ask since you and your husband are supposed to share cooking and cleaning chores 50-50

Do you share things like the quoted 50-50? When the family car breaks down, do you take turns to open the hood and crawl under the car to fix it?

When you have a security concern at home, Do you take turns to fix it, Electrical fault, mechanical fault, plumbing issues etc, Do you also split those 50-50?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

Queensmith,

maybe I should ask since you and your husband are supposed to share cooking and cleaning chores 50-50

Do you share things like the quoted 50-50? When the family car breaks down, do you take turns to open the hood and crawl under the car to fix it?

When you have a security concern at home, Do you take turns to fix it, Electrical fault, mechanical fault, plumbing issues etc, Do you also split those 50-50?

Ahan nau, that one dey different. Some chores are 'manly' . . . .  even without being married I cant change my tire. But my husband washed his dishes as a bachelor so why should things be different now    undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 4:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

I suspect you are married to a White man cos we are made to believe by some posters that only white men can do this

Dude, am a pure naija babe o, and ma hubby is very much a fully blooded yoruba man!  cheesy

dayokanu:

Queensmith,

For mi n ma house, d answer is YES!

From him, i've learnt to fix stuffs, when generator isnt working n he's not home, i chk, if i can fix it i do, if i cant, i'd simply call n he'd direct, We split everything, even to wash car sef!!!

No big deal!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

Dude, am a pure naija babe o, and ma hubby is very much a fully blooded yoruba man! cheesy

From him, i've learnt to fix stuffs, when generator isnt working n he's not home, i chk, if i can fix it i do, if i cant, i'd simply call n he'd direct, We split everything, even to wash car sef!!!
No big deal!

shocked shocked shocked

You strong oh!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 4:38pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ujujoan:

shocked shocked shocked

You strong oh!

Babe, what a man can do, a woman sef fit do na!!! grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

Babe, what a man can do, a woman sef fit do na!!! grin

No be for that one oh! Infact I'll rather cook all the meals than wash cars. undecided undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On Feb 16, 2012
That was when queensmith was championing that all chores should be split

In days you hear noise in the living room at night, Do you take turns to check if there is an intruder?

When the car breaks down, Do you take turns to get under the hood, Go to autozone, buy parts and fix it.

When electrical appliances develop faults do you take turns to fix it? when plubing works needs to be done, do you take turns at it too?

When lawns need to be mowed, Do you have a timetable for it?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Tobiegal(f): 4:48pm On Feb 16, 2012
@uju:
And u actually tik i wash d car?

I just drive it to d garage to get it washed , max i'd ask our cleaner for office to wash it,

No biggie, really.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by hbabe(f): 4:49pm On Feb 16, 2012
Tobiegal:

Dude, am a pure naija babe o, and ma hubby is very much a fully blooded yoruba man!  cheesy

No big deal!
Now that is something!
Well done!

Ujujoan:

No be for that one oh! Infact I'll rather cook all the meals than wash cars. undecided undecided

lol
What happened to sharing chores?

I do agree with Uju here, I would rather cool all the meals, clean the whole house than wash cars.  Washing cars is not very lady-like tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Pregnant Lady Who Survived Fire Burn Shares Lovely Pregnancy Photos / Wife Dies In Anambra State, Husband Joins Her Weeks To Her Burial. Photos / Am I Doing The Right Thing Or I Will Regret It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.