Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,572 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (35418 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Successful Career Women Can't Have It All - Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:46pm On Feb 16, 2012
so if it is that easy, why do guys not want to do it often now?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 7:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

ewwww, what's that inside the pot david grin?

20mins egusi is like lipsrsealed
please come and eat real ofe egusi from nwa mama (oxtail, ponmo, crayfish, spinach, ugu, bitterleaf, tinko, mangala, bonga, atarodo, tatashe all dey inside). not that Rachel Ray egusi soup of 20 mins you dey take brag here grin.

My dear i tire ooooo, 20 mins for egusi soup, which kain soup be that?? I made ordinary smoked turkey sauce last night, and everything combined took me 40mins, and that is just ''fried smoked-turkey stew''.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

After pot of soup and stew the rest na breeze. Anyone can prepare rice or does rice take 5hours to cook also?

Pounded yam for me alone takes less than 10mins, which 5 mins is to boil the water, Eba takes less time

Naso you for don know who dey cook and who no dey cook, if pounded yam takes 10 minutes to prepare, i will break, eba na ''fieselu'' you dey make?? dat one simple naa, no need to boil water sef. smiley smiley (just put cold water in a bowl, pour gari inside and put it in the microwave 5 mins tops, then comback and say you have stomach ache. cool cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
grin grin so you too like that smoked turkey,  grin
i love smoked turkey for egusi. taste like bushmeat  grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 7:56pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

Well a woman with good head on her shoulders (using your own words) wont be comfortable seeing her husband in the kitchen cooking while she does nothing just like a good man wont see his wife lifting heavy stuffs or strenous jobs while he looks on
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:57pm On Feb 16, 2012
don't mind him grin
ronkebp:

Naso you for don know who dey cook and who no dey cook, if pounded yam takes 10 minutes to prepare, i will break, eba na ''fieselu'' you dey make?? dat one simple naa, no need to boil water sef. smiley smiley (just put cold water in a bowl, pour gari inside and put it in the microwave 5 mins tops, then comback and say you have stomach ache. cool cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 7:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
ronkebp:

I still did it last night and prepared Pounded yam during half time of the game I was watching, Boling water takes less than 5 mins and preparing the rest take another 5

Max 15mins if you turn down the burner grin grin grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:59pm On Feb 16, 2012
lol, stop using that word. they are only to be used for men  grin

like you lift heavy stuff every day eh? but you must eat good food everyday, common don't compare apple and orange tongue
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 8:05pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

grin grin so you too like that smoked turkey, grin
i love smoked turkey for egusi. taste like bushmeat grin
My dear i do oooo, i love the taste, when i want a different taste, i go for the smoked turkey, infact i season and boil it like regular meat, then fry it again and cook it in whatever i wnat it in, tastes superb.

dayokanu:

I still did it last night and prepared Pounded yam during half time of the game I was watching, Boling water takes less than 5 mins and preparing the rest take another 5

oh, now i gat you, i was thinking of the real ponded yam, naija style, so what do you use to eat the pounded yam, water? cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 8:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

this is the million dollar question, since its soo easy they can do it themselves she?
dayokanu:

- Most families dont cook egusi daily. Most families cook pot of soup to last them for days and just warm it daily

- The man was eating before he got married either by cooking or buying food.

When you get married, there are some roles you pick up and some you might drop. e.g a man that was cooking for himself before marriage might have to reduce it when married, the woman that was fixing her electrical appliances, taking charge of her security, fixing her car somehow before marriage might reduce it after marriage.

If you insist on both keeping their pre-marriage roles then whats the point living together or being married
Egunsi is the most popular dish where i come from, an average family will eat it at least 3 times every week. some have mentioned here their husbands dont even eat day old soups? your point please?
since the man was catering for himself before he got married why turn to a reta[i]r[/i]d after?
taking charge of her security? is this administration of an envoy? dont chat rubbish please
nobody fixes their own car unless they are a mechanic, and cars do not require daily servicing like these men do. try again please

davidylan:

I cook my own egusi soup from scratch and it takes me max 20 mins to put ingredients together and no more than 1 hr all together. Seriously what is your point? I cook ofe owerri myself, i make my own pepper soup, efo riro, ewedu, okra soup with panla . . . so exactly what is it that you women do that we shld bow down and kiss your feet for? Laundry - easy: just make sure you have a designated spot for your clothes and get a washer and dryer. Cleaning house - get urself a carpet and hardwood cleaner, run over your floors once a week. What else is special about you?

Thankfully my mom made sure she taught me everything around the house, its always a shock when i tell most of my partners that i would hardly miss them if they dropped off the face of the earth.
For someone that wants to seem religous you sure do like to lie. It takes you 20 minutes to go down to the market and buy the ingredients required for egunsi?
everything else you've said is utter nonsense. if it's soo easy i still don't see why the men can't do it? what is soo special about you that you cannot do your own laundry and mop the floor? what? does yourpenis prevent it?
dayokanu:

Most guys before getting married had a way of cooking and eating. You dont need to be an excellent cook to feed yourself. I dont throw away food, If it comes out bad, I must eat it that way

and with cooking you can learn on the job. The things you cant cook, read up online, I learnt some recipes from MissyB's page on NL.

I can tell you I eat out max 2 times a week every meal I cook.

In this new world, washing plates = dishwasher, washing clothes = washing machine, Cleaning = vacuum cleaner. even boiling rice nowadays has been made easy buy those rice boliers, plug them to mains and go to sleep shikena!!!

Is it the gargantuan effort to load the clothes in the washing machine or the muscle to load plates in the dish washer?

When girls go to visit their bfs maybe for weekends, he would likely cede control of the kitchen to the woman, but when you are gone, he resumes back to the place
then why are we debating? if this attitude continues into marriage then there won't be any problems like the op.

mutter:

The issue of the man helping does not even arise.
A career woman that cannot manage or organise her husband shocked

I don't see why she has to? he has no hands and legs? a career means nothing to you obviously. To a man it's absolutely everything, and it should be the same to a woman. A man shouldn't be liability.
armyofone:

ewwww, what's that inside the pot david  grin?

20mins egusi is like  lipsrsealed
please come and eat real ofe egusi from nwa mama (oxtail, ponmo, crayfish, spinach, ugu, bitterleaf, tinko, mangala, bonga, atarodo, tatashe all dey inside). not that Rachel Ray egusi soup of 20 mins you dey take brag here  grin.

he likes to chat shit, he does- even my oyibo egusi that doesnt have half the things you have mentioned doesnt take 20minutes. Talkless of all the preparation they do back home.
Over here we are lucky, most things are processed and washed before sale. I dont even want to think of the gutting and skinning one has to do for stew back home. kmt
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 8:08pm On Feb 16, 2012
armyofone:

grin grin so you too like that smoked turkey,  grin
i love smoked turkey for egusi. taste like bushmeat  grin
My dear i do oooo, i love the taste, when i want a different taste, i go for the smoked turkey, infact i season and boil it like regular meat, then fry it again and cook it in whatever i wnat it in, tastes superb.

dayokanu:

oh, now i gat you, i was thinking of the real ponded yam, naija style, so what do you use to eat the pounded yam, water? cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 8:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

Egunsi is the most popular dish where i come from, an average family will eat it at least 3 times every week. some have mentioned here their husbands dont even eat day old soups? your point please?

And do people need to cook fresh egusi, fresh soup, fresh stew every day of the week? And where do you see the men that must eat daily made soup? Even in my parents generation which would be considered more conservative they dont eat new soup/stew daily

Unless you are just arguing for the sake of it. If its for the sake or argument we can also say some people need their bathroom scrubbed everyday, their car serviced everyday, new clothes everyday just to make our argument more "delicious"

since the man was catering for himself before he got married why turn to a reta[i]r[/i]d after?
taking charge of her security? is this administration of an envoy? dont chat rubbish please

A married woman Chaircover wrote it and i quoted her, the responsibility of her husband and what she expects from her husband

chaircover:

I personally am happy to trade housework in exchange for security. What do I mean by security; I am free to work part time, I dont have to rack my brains about finances, I dont have to make major decisions if I dont feel like, I have someone who is able to do damage limitaton on my behalf when I mess up, I dont have to worry about the house being secure - its his job to secure all the windows and doors, if the phone rings in the middle of the night he is the one to ge up and answer it, If my car makes a funny noise or is low on petrol,  just I pick up his car keys instead, I spend knowing that if I get in a fix someone will sort me out, I have a backbone I can lean on, depend on and run to.

Why am I saying all this? because marriage is not just all black and white and there is a whole much more that goes into it apart from housework, baby making and providing finances & team work is the key.

I can check my oil, I can do DIY, I can set up the barbeque from scratch, paint my garden fence and other "manly" things but I am not very good at it so If I Can, I leave that to the expert  grin

nobody fixes their own car unless they are a mechanic, and cars do not require daily servicing like these men do. try again please

There you go with all these kind of arguments again. You are threading on uncertain territories

"White women dont cook", "People spend 5 hours daily cooking", "now nobody fixes their car by themselves"

How come Chaircovers husband does it? Or isnt he in the subset of your "Nobody does"

Maybe you can extrapolate it to nobody secures their own house when they are not police
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 8:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
ronkebp:

Ah ah.

Who in this current world especially those staying in Obodo Oyinbo would have time or the luxury of pounding yams?

Have you seen any Naija man living abroad who insist his wife prepares him Pounded yam (by mortar and pestle) daily after she returns from work.

armyofone:

like you lift heavy stuff every day eh? but you must eat good food everyday, common don't compare apple and orange tongue

This is a house and incidents happen everyday its either one happens or the other.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 8:32pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

Ah ah.

Who in this current world especially those staying in Obodo Oyinbo would have time or the luxury of pounding yams?

Have you seen any Naija man living abroad who insist his wife prepares him Pounded yam (by mortar and pestle) daily after she returns from work.

This is a house and incidents happen everyday its either one happens or the other.

I be proper Ondo girl, so when you talk about ''ponded yam'' i think of the real thing not the counterfeit. I don't mind doing the mortar and pistle thingy ooo, na the yam be dey koko.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
ronkebp:

I be proper Ondo girl, so when you talk about ''ponded yam'' i think of the real thing not the counterfeit. I don't mind doing the mortar and pistle thingy ooo, na the yam be dey koko.

Have you seen anyone do that mortar and Pestle thing in America? Lailai

With all these wooden houses before you crash the whole edifice altogether
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 8:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

Have you seen anyone do that mortar and Pestle thing in America? Lailai

With all these wooden houses before you crash the whole edifice altogether

I have not seen them physically pounding the yam, but i have seen the mortar and pistle in a friend's kitchen and she said she uses it. so there are people that might be pounding for real in the same obodo oyinbo.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
queensmith:

For someone that wants to seem religous you sure do like to lie. It takes you 20 minutes to go down to the market and buy the ingredients required for egunsi?
everything else you've said is utter nonsense. if it's soo easy i still don't see why the men can't do it? what is soo special about you that you cannot do your own laundry and mop the floor? what? does yourpenis prevent it?then why

Quite a stup[i]i[/i]d and unecessarily aggressive retort to be honest. You seem to type on your keyboard without thinking at all.

1. So the problem now includes going to your local store to grab your ingredients to cook? Does it take longer to purchase egusi and efo at the store than it takes to purchase your salmon that you used for your oyinbo food or does that land automatically in your fridge now?

2. Stup[b]i[/b]d again. Where did i say men cannot cook, do their own laundry and clean their homes? I do all that despite having a partner. So what exactly was your point again? I dont see any of the guys here arguing that they do not wish to cook or clean, they just wonder why women make such a nonsensical big deal of things that men do with ease and without complaining.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 9:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
QUEENSMITH sometimes women can be so amazing.
A Career woman and I mean one that values her career, in the first place does not go marrying a man who is not compatible with her career. I know what kind of woman I am and how spontaneous I can get when it comes to such things so I made sure I married a man ho can accept me as I am. My husband has never stood in my way and God knows there were times i was working as much as 13 hours a day. However at that time my husband was back to school and had more time for the home.
My husband is reasonable enough to know my limitations and he helps me where he can. And yes I am not a feminist, I see no need to go get my car washed or tanked, what for? And you might find this hard to swallow, but I do see the house chores as my duty, so it`s simply about saying please and thank you. And yes I love being a slave to my husband cheesy Why not, its just one of the many roles I play as a wife and my husband is everything and more to me. He is my hold in my weakest times and my greatest strength and inspiration.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
I see somewhere armyofone says loading and unloading dishwashers is work. Seriously? shocked That's a special type of laziness that i have never come across.
Neat people dont wait till the sink is full to load their dishwashers, they load them as the dishes get used, at night you simply clean your sink and run the dishwasher, unload the next morning. Easy.

My God, what sort of lazy bones are we raising as women today? Sometimes its just best to be single. Nothing rankles more than a woman that cant clean up after herself. The minute i notice that i send the woman packing.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

Ah ah.

the only reason i dont pound yam anymore is because i cant seem to find a mortar and pestle. Else pounding yam is a lot of fun trust me. If you get the white minna yam its quite easy.
People are just disgustingly lazy.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2012
grin grin
call it whatever you like, i call it work  wink yes loading any machine is work.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
For those who keep crying about how impossible it is to make egusi in 20 mins, i suppose reading is your major problem because this is what i clearly said - I cook my own egusi soup from scratch and[b] it takes me max 20 mins to put ingredients together[/b] and [size=13pt]no more than 1 hr all together.[/size]

There . . . put in block letters so even the blind can see. To cook it in 1hr presupposes you have cooked your meat and fish already. 20 mins to get your ingredients ready. Another 30-40 mins max to cook the soup.

Anyone else who cant read?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by kbdrim(m): 12:51am On Feb 17, 2012
mutter:

QUEENSMITH sometimes women can be so amazing.
A Career woman and I mean one that values her career, in the first place does not go marrying a man who is not compatible with her career. I know what kind of woman I am and how spontaneous I can get when it comes to such things so I made sure I married a man ho can accept me as I am. My husband has never stood in my way and God knows there were times i was working as much as 13 hours a day. However at that time my husband was back to school and had more time for the home.
My husband is reasonable enough to know my limitations and he helps me where he can. And yes I am not a feminist, I see no need to go get my car washed or tanked, what for? And you might find this hard to swallow, but I do see the house chores as my duty, so it`s simply about saying please and thank you. And yes I love being a slave to my husband cheesy Why not, its just one of the many roles I play as a wife and my husband is everything and more to me. He is my hold in my weakest times and my greatest strength and inspiration.

Thank U my sister, that is the wish of every man out there, When I get married And my wife makes such a bold claim to slave for me I will also gladly slave for her too not just by saying it but practicing it day by day, Love isnt about being wise its about being ffolish together,  I wish most men will understand that If u cant die for Your wife I mean literally then u aint being a true lover. Love is a decision and u must be willing to serve each other no matter what. May ur Husband find it easy to slave for you too.
Those who have chosen to be ''wise'' in love I wish them all the best and pray that They never fall so sick in life that their partners also become ''wise'' in love.people have become so wise in this age and it is this generation that is saddest in relationship. So many failed relationships/marriages and heartbreaks yet we dont learn. we think with our feelings and take decisions without reflecting deeply on philosophies. Our lives are simply soap operas, Its pathetic
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by cfours: 1:58am On Feb 17, 2012
lol@ davidylan's 20min egusi soup grin

kbdrim:

Thank U my sister, that is the wish of every man out there, When I get married And my wife makes such a bold claim to slave for me I will also gladly slave for her too not just by saying it but practicing it day by day, Love isnt about being wise its about being ffolish together,  I wish most men will understand that If u cant die for Your wife I mean literally then u aint being a true lover. Love is a decision and u must be willing to serve each other no matter what. May ur Husband find it easy to slave for you too.
Those who have chosen to be ''wise'' in love I wish them all the best and pray that They never fall so sick in life that their partners also become ''wise'' in love.people have become so wise in this age and it is this generation that is saddest in relationship. So many failed relationships/marriages and heartbreaks yet we dont learn. we think with our feelings and take decisions without reflecting deeply on philosophies. Our lives are simply soap operas, Its pathetic

you are finally making sense. both partners should be equally committed to the hard work it takes to keep a household together.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:39am On Feb 17, 2012
c.fours:

lol@ davidylan's 20min egusi soup  grin

another dumb broad who cant read. Where did i claim you cook egusi in 20 mins?  undecided

c.fours:

you are finally making sense. both partners should be equally committed to the hard work it takes to keep a household together.

he's been saying the same thing since. You just werent comprehending.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 2:58am On Feb 17, 2012
war of the sexe.s

Blessings,
Hauwa.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by cfours: 3:15am On Feb 17, 2012
davidylan:

another dumb broad who cant read. Where did i claim you cook egusi in 20 mins?  undecided

he's been saying the same thing since. You just werent comprehending.

shurrup there fool.
his entire earlier tirade on this thread was about how naija women were "trash."  it seems like he's back on his medication.

you should go take yours as well. . .after your egusi soup is done cooking.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 3:23am On Feb 17, 2012
c.fours:

shurrup there fool.
his entire earlier tirade on this thread was about how naija women were "trash."  it seems like he's back on his medication.

you should go take yours as well. . .after your egusi soup is done cooking.

well it just about summed you up.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by cfours: 3:25am On Feb 17, 2012
shut up. it clearly says 'naija women' not 'c.fours'
abi you don't know the difference?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 3:32am On Feb 17, 2012
Hahahahahahahahaha are you guys kidding me? So this argument is still going on. What a way to revive the family section anyways.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 3:37am On Feb 17, 2012
c.fours:

shut up. it clearly says 'naija women' not 'c.fours'
abi you don't know the difference?

Well we know that was an exaggeration to include ALL nigerian women but it was a dead-on description of you.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by cfours: 4:34am On Feb 17, 2012
who cares.

next time, think carefully before you exaggerate your comments. like the egusi soup faux pas, for example. I can't stop laughing at that one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Pregnant Lady Who Survived Fire Burn Shares Lovely Pregnancy Photos / Wife Dies In Anambra State, Husband Joins Her Weeks To Her Burial. Photos / Am I Doing The Right Thing Or I Will Regret It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.