Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (35430 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Successful Career Women Can't Have It All - Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 11:46am On Feb 15, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I didn't read anything anywhere. It's the woman's job to cook and do the kitchen stuff, and take care of the kids. It's the GASM (generally-acceptable societal norm).

we can do this all day, it will still boil down to you having to point out the legal clause which states this and the punishment for not doing so. Its backwards nonsense that should never be condoned.

zerocool:

Simple truth is, most career women don't do house chores. They have maid(s).
people don't have maids in london- and most women there have jobs. explain that

Can people stop saying they are blessed with helpful husbands that only help once in a while- sounds like a liability that doesnt sound helpful to me. Besides how is he 'helping' you cook food you are going to eat?  Someone point this out to me please, I've missed something very major in during my little stay in Nigeria.
Does th ewoman die sll of a sudden if her husband doesnt eat? whats the incentive?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by jaybee3(m): 11:49am On Feb 15, 2012
No two ways about it.
He has to either join in with the house chores as well as learning how to warm/cook foods in the oven.
If he doesn't want to do that then let him employ a full time cook.

I'm guessing you don't have electricity issues

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by DeepSoul(f): 11:50am On Feb 15, 2012
queensmith:

^^ *vomits*

The rate at which you've been vomitting all over this thread, you sure say you never carry belle?

@OP:
You carry style lazy small sha  grin
But then, you live in LAGOS. For those who live or have ever lived in LAGOS, the word 'stress' takes on a whole NEW MEANING.

So yeah, I understand - you have to leave home very early to beat TRAFFIC, work for 10hrs, get into TRAFFIC again. . .and by the time you finally get home, you are knocked out!

The solution to your "problem" is to work out a strategy that works for you. SO many people her have proffered practical solutions already.

For food, simply cook soups and stews and keep them in the freezer! Other foods like rice or yam can be easily made.
For washing, get a washing machine. Or get someone to come wash and iron every weekend
For cleaning, I don't think that should be too much of a chore if done regularly. But if it is, you can get a weekend cleaning person.

I'm not married but I also have those very "too-tired-from-work days". There have been times when all i eat is OATS. There have been times when I have bought like 3 packs of soup from a restaurant and put in my freezer to be eaten for one week. Sue me!! I have my lazy days weeks
grin

P.S: It doesn't mean I wasn't brought up properly (according to the "angels" here)

So yeah, I understand. . .especially if you're just newly married. . .it'll take a little while for you to adjust. . .but you WILL after a while. Just try out different options and decide which best works for u

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by lahips: 11:50am On Feb 15, 2012
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by violent(m): 11:50am On Feb 15, 2012
While she is cooking, is there anything wrong in the husband doing the dishes?
While she is taking shower, is it too much for the husband to make the bed?
If the husband gets home before her, is it too much for the husband to start the process of cooking?

These things won't work for me. . . .but then, I'm speaking for just me.    I'm not demanding that my wife must work to add to the family income, I see that as my primary responsibility and I'm happy to work my ar[i]s[/i]e off to provide for her and the family the things they will never need.  I wouldn't however include cleaning and cooking to those responsibilities, it just wouldn't work with me.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 11:55am On Feb 15, 2012
Uju I absolutely agree with you, it's obvious the poster is trying to be some superwoman housewife like the typical wives she has been seeing and now realising it's not easy.

When she was single she may forgo cooking a 5hour pot of egunsi (and yes cooking naija food takes a minimum of 5hours exc going out to buy the stuff, it's stressful and tiring nobody should bother arguing with that) but now she's married she feels like its a necessity to have soup or stew in the house for them both to eat.s
and this is absolutely sensible-one should look after him/herself as they deem fit. What I don't understand is why she should take it upon herself alone. If they cook together it will take half the time. If they alternated schedules the task wouldnt be soo tiring. I understand when one has kids because a child cannot cook for itself but still the duties should be shared.

Anything beyond this is hogwash and nonsense. Why should I stress myself and die early so the dude can eat? I don't think so, we're both gonna get our 8 hours. I'm not losing a weekend or anything else for that matter for anybody.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by LesbianBoy(m): 11:55am On Feb 15, 2012
Original poster in 2 words ''VERY LAZY!'' grin grin

NB: ladies should stay single if they cannot cope!
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by violent(m): 11:56am On Feb 15, 2012
we can do this all day, it will still boil down to you having to point out the legal clause which states this and the punishment for not doing so. Its backwards nonsense that should never be condoned.

Why does everything have to come with some kind of legal precedence to make it either acceptable or not?  are you listening to yourself at all?  Must every daily life issues be backed by some kind of a legal clause? Should i have to resort to the constitution before asking my son to wash my car?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by sayso: 12:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
@OP,
Bring somebody else and see more trouble.
Manage the situation and save some problems.
If you can afford some automated machines in the house e.g WM,MW,VC,DW and so on.Do that and save urself some self inflicting problems.
Ask yourself a serious question.What career are we talking about here?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 12:02pm On Feb 15, 2012
Violent ^^ yes it will, I need it to be fully justified and apprehended. If you like ask your neighbours son to wash your car thats not what we're discussing. We are discussing why women should lone carry essential burdens and why the husband cannot be independant in the household. If you dont like it then skim over my post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
queensmith:

Uju I absolutely agree with you, it's obvious the poster is trying to be some superwoman housewife like the typical wives she has been seeing and now realising it's not easy.

When she was single she may forgo cooking a 5hour pot of egunsi (and yes cooking naija food takes a minimum of 5hours exc going out to buy the stuff, it's stressful and tiring nobody should bother arguing with that) but now she's married she feels like its a necessity to have soup or stew in the house for them both to eat.s
and this is absolutely sensible-one should look after him/herself as they deem fit. What I don't understand is why she should take it upon herself alone. If they cook together it will take half the time. If they alternated schedules the task wouldnt be soo tiring. I understand when one has kids because a child cannot cook for itself but still the duties should be shared.

Anything beyond this is hogwash and nonsense. Why should I stress myself and die early so the dude can eat? I don't think so, we're both gonna get our 8 hours. I'm not losing a weekend or anything else for that matter for anybody.

True . . .  The husband has to make do with whatever he sees, and he has to help too!

Infact for me being married has reduced the stress, at least now I have someone to share the chores with. My husband goes to the market, cleans, cooks e.t.c

Being married is not equivalent to getting a maid. He did those things as a bachelor, why should it change now

violent:

These things won't work for me. . . .but then, I'm speaking for just me.    I'm not demanding that my wife must work to add to the family income, I see that as my primary responsibility and I'm happy to work my ar[i]s[/i]e off to provide for her and the family the things they will never need.  I wouldn't however include cleaning and cooking to those responsibilities, it just wouldn't work with me.

You will be very wicked if you expect your working wife to do all the chores while you cross your legs . . . just because you provided the money!  undecided

My husband and I leave for work at the same time, sometimes he gets home before me . . .  so is he supposed to wait for me to drag myself home and cook, just because I'm the woman? What if I come home and I'm too tired to cook?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 12:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ujujoan:

Being married is not equivalent to getting a maid. He did those things as a bachelor, why should it change now

Unfortunately I think Nigerian men believe so, the worst thing is they now behave as if theyre doing you a favour by marrying you! I'm finding all of this soo degrading, I see absolutely nothing dignifying in slaving all in the name of marriage. While the husband does what? Puts his feet on the coffee table and watches match of the day *vomit*!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by maki(f): 12:13pm On Feb 15, 2012
Before i explain what i go through i want to tell u i have 2 jobs.
1. as a debit control mngr in a logistics company
2. as a fahion designer ( my personal company)

everyday i wake up at about 5:30 get dressed and go to work with my husband and close d same because our offices r in d same area (lekki phase 1).
after beating the traffic back home(onike-yaba) i must prepare dinner for him before i go to my workshop and do some little fashion designing work before going to bed.
i only do my cooking once a month, e.g prepare like 3 different types of stew and 3 different types of soup, then dish them into those little freezer rubber bowls with covers for easy warming, my husband do not like micro wave so i have to warm it with water in a pot, i label them to know excalt which types of stew or soup in dat bowl. so within d week all i do is to either boil, rice,yam, ripe or unripe plantain bake either eba,amala,semovita or poundo or make pasta or anytin that wont take me more than 15-30mins to prepare.
then as for cleaning of the house is only on weekends. i do my house cleaning on saturday after coming back from d gym, sweeping, dusting, removal of cobwebs, washing of d tiolets and bathroom before going into my workshop for my fashion designing through out d weekend.

and all these,i think its making me to lose my mind bit by bit, if i dont get someone to help me soon. it is not easy ONE BIT.

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by AjanleKoko: 12:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
queensmith:

people don't have maids in london- and most women there have jobs. explain that

You and who will do what all day? undecided
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 12:23pm On Feb 15, 2012
^^ me and you. :p

I'm beggining to like this thread- 'The slaves wives on Nigeria' It's interesting to see what other women do.

hmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by snthesis(m): 12:30pm On Feb 15, 2012
choi!!! c complaints shocked shocked shocked
my wife had beta get ready. tongue
1. No to bulk shopping- i like my food Fresh angry angry
2. No to Microwave- I like my Life cancer free, and my dishes Fresh and hot. angry angry angry
3. No to house helps- duh!! y did i get married in d first place angry angry tongue
4. Be prepared to always clean up after me- cant help it- only a sissy keeps his room clean grin grin grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by mutter(f): 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2012
Queensmith-no slave mothers. I hardly thin most of the women here have a problem coping with just a man. grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2012
Goin through all this posts; I APPRECIATE EVERY CARING WOMAN. WE ARE THE BEST.
Don‘t you think fasting a day or two days within a week would also help reduce chores?

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Iranoladun(f): 12:49pm On Feb 15, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] in addition to all the advises, Poster plan your meals and your time. For instance, create a meal time table, includes food you have partially cooked on weekends e.g. Yam pottage, jollof rice, parboiled rice for fried rice minus the Veggies (you can store diced veggies in the fridge and add to the rice whenever you want to eat it), porridge beans, moin moin etc. There are days that for dinner everyone in my house will take garri plus moin moin; no food to cook only warm the moin moin and less dishes to wash.

Also plan when/how you do your laundry and cleaning. Reduce Sweeping/cleaning to  weekends or 2ce in a week.

When you go for shopping go with a shopping list. It will help you to manage your shopping time, money and ensure you have all the ingredients you will need to keep your home.

Also check what part of your life or routine is the most stressful? My advise may be unpopular but have you consider getting another job with regular hour ( 8am to 5pm and not 8am to 6.30pm).

What about getting a job closer to your home or getting your home closer to your job? Do the maths it may actually be cheaper and less stressful

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
Get a maid. Why cope when you need to face career ? Help kick unemployment out of Nigeria. Hire someone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by TEEGBE: 12:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
@hbabe , I have been struggling with domestic chores and having a career for months now. I need help!
After the hectic traffic, I get home tired and want to shower and sleep but then someone has to prepare the meals.
I have seen other women smiling through it all and I wonder if they some magic which I lack.

Their is no magic abt it my dear, now this is what i do, i prepare all kinds of soup on sarts that will last for two weeks,i then arrange them in different plates that has cover o , one plate for a day, that is frm monday to sunday, i keep them in the freezer.

When i come back frm work, i wld intruct my househelp to bring out the soup and make what ever type of swallow the family wld want to eat.

Then try and make things comfortable for urself, buy things like washing machine, deep feezer e.t.c.

It is well. wink
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Ninapha(f): 12:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
queensmith:

Unfortunately I think Nigerian men believe so, the worst thing is they now behave as if theyre doing you a favour by marrying you! I'm finding all of this soo degrading, I see absolutely nothing dignifying in slaving all in the name of marriage. While the husband does what? Puts his feet on the coffee table and watches match of the day *vomit*!

Let us be truthful to ourselves even if we are not doing these things in our homes.  Even the bible tells us the qualities of a virtuous woman and that of the head of the family.   No matter how modern we think marriage has become, we cannot take away the foundation.  If you have good relationship or understanding with ur husband on these things fine if not a wife should prepare her mind towards keeping the home while the man should prepare his mind towards providing for the home, that is not to say there wont be room for switching roles.  I give u example, My husband leaves home by 6 am and comes in earliest 7. 30 pm and i understand his schedules, i have never expected him to do any chores for me, but we understand that we need each other to pull thru.  If i am tired, we could eat any light food.  He washes his cloths on Saturdays  and believe me on Sundays he leaves the house by 7. 30am and comes in 4 pm, now tell me how he would sweep and do the cleaning for me..

He makes it up to me by understanding with me when i am worn-out.  Now i have a cousin staying with me but remember u cannot leave ur home in the hands of a maid beside u must have a standard in your home which she would follow suit else, , No one is enslaving anyone except when the heart of a woman is fighting her position in the family.

@OP Plan yourself there is still more stress to come!

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ade80: 1:14pm On Feb 15, 2012
i will suggest you talk to your hubby and work out how to do things together

there was a day i closed from work and stopped by at the market to do some shopping since my children were spending the day with their grandmother, i finaly got home at about 9pm and my husband who had been home since 6pm asked what i was going to make for dinner. Needless to say i was so overwhelmed i started crying. He later understood that he had to help out round the house because i am not superwoman. Now, he helps out more at home. so talk to your husband.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 1:34pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ninapha:

Let us be truthful to ourselves even if we are not doing these things in our homes.  Even the bible tells us the qualities of a virtuous woman and that of the head of the family.   No matter how modern we think marriage has become, we cannot take away the foundation.  If you have good relationship or understanding with ur husband on these things fine if not a wife should prepare her mind towards keeping the home while the man should prepare his mind towards providing for the home, that is not to say there wont be room for switching roles.  I give u example, My husband leaves home by 6 am and comes in earliest 7. 30 pm and i understand his schedules, i have never expected him to do any chores for me, but we understand that we need each other to pull thru.  If i am tired, we could eat any light food.  He washes his cloths on Saturdays  and believe me on Sundays he leaves the house by 7. 30am and comes in 4 pm, now tell me how he would sweep and do the cleaning for me..

He makes it up to me by understanding with me when i am worn-out.  Now i have a cousin staying with me but remember u cannot leave ur home in the hands of a maid beside u must have a standard in your home which she would follow suit else, , No one is enslaving anyone except when the heart of a woman is fighting her position in the family.
This is your truth not mine- I'm not religious.
So long story short, op should read the bible and the quaran to accept, but not actually justify that it is her duty in this God given world to stress and suffer while her husband puts his feet up as the Lord your God has intended it to be. All things not being equal women should be subject to slavery.
Kinda makes me wonder what the incentive is for being religious. It's not like religious men have good qualities compared to non- religous ones.
I don't see how sweeping or cleaning is for anybody? If the house is clean do you not both benefit from it? Is the husband not further relieved when his wife can contribute to the mortgage? Will the wife not be happier when she doesn't care for the husband like a dependant? So what exactly is your incentive for being married if all it will do is stress you and drain you? why marry at all? esp if the husband needs to be catered for like a child or an elderly person?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ninapha:

Your husband has a busy schedule and you have a less busy one . . . that is completely understandable.

But many families these days, both husband and wife have tiring schedules! All I'm saying is that it will be unfair for the man to think the woman has to do all the work when she works as hard as he does!

queensmith:

Ewww! Carry your vomit comot here jare.  angry  angry  tongue

Seriously, its our fault -  the women. We want to be all supper woman/virtous woman. And we forget that we only have one life to live. Why make yours difficult while your hubby enjoys the whole ride.

I dont need to tell my husband that if he wants his house to look like something out of a stepford street, he needs to get a housekeeper. Simple!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 1:40pm On Feb 15, 2012
Speak to your husband ASAP.

If you are starting work at 8am and finishing at 6.30pm, it is unreasonable to expect you to cook or even do major childcare task after work.

You should both sit down together and see if you can hire someone to do the cooking. Even if it is someone that will come in for 2 hours a day Monday to Friday to cook you guys dinner and get paid anything from N200 - N1000 per day.

I bet there are thousands of people in Nigeria that will bite your hands off to do it and be employed. Maybe even University or Polytechnic students that need to supplement their schooling funds.

If you work that much, you should only cook in the weekend or on special occasions.

Sit him down and talk to him reasonably.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by jaybee3(m): 1:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Speak to your husband ASAP.

If you are starting work at 8am and finishing at 6.30pm, it is unreasonable to expect you to cook or even do major childcare task after work.

You should both sit down together and see if you can hire some to do the cooking. Even if it is someone that will come in for 2 hours a day Monday to Friday to cook you guys dinner and get paid anything from N200 - N1000 per day.

I bet there are thousands of people in Nigeria that will bite your hands off to do it and be employed. Maybe even University or Polytechnic students that need to supplement their schooling funds.

If you work that much, you should only cook in the weekend or on special occasions.

Sit him down and talk to him reasonably.
Wow Wow Wow Wow
What got into you Saga?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ninapha:

He makes it up to me by understanding with me when i am worn-out.  Now i have a cousin staying with me but remember u cannot leave ur home in the hands of a maid beside u must have a standard in your home which she would follow suit else, ,  No one is enslaving anyone except when the heart of a woman is fighting her position in the family.

Na wa oh, I am not a virtous woman be that.
Poster, I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must usually feel. I wonder how bad i would feel if all my week and weekends are spent cooking and doing chores. I was lucky to get a maid even before i remarried not to work but mostly for the company, when i remarried that was d best decision ever cos my husband is almost useless domestically, even when he does something you may have to do it again. Talk with your husband, work it out and come to an agreement, if he doesnt know how to do things right you can agree to hire a help. Luckily when I am home I dont have to worry about my son cos my husband takes care of him, and he takes us out for dinner and movies at least twice a week
Marriage is not about getting someone to cook and clean its about companioship, most Nigerian men will get a wife to cook clean and care for the kids while they go out and get girlfriends to keep them company. Not good abeg, its a partnership built on Christs sacrifical love and not selfishness where one party sits drinking beer while the other slaves away

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by MissyB3(f): 1:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
jay bee:

Wow Wow Wow Wow
What got into you Saga?
All thanks to me . . .Shows I've been doing a perfect work on him. cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 1:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
jay bee:

Wow Wow Wow Wow
What got into you Saga?

You think I want a worn out wife?

When I sign my life away, I expect my unreplacable product to be shiny for 30 plus years of pure shagrathon. cool

She must keep fresh and beautiful, not stressed and used.

If you have to go to jail for life without even committing a crime, wouldn't you want your jail cell to be nice, full of decent humans, full of amenities and the jail food good?

I am a misogynist, a chauvinist, a sexist. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
LMAO it is confirmed ,Saga is crazy grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by vanitty: 2:01pm On Feb 15, 2012
Lmao. Funny thread. Superwoman plenty for Nigeria o.

It is absolutely impossible for a "career woman" do to ALL the chores around the house, cook etc and not resentful towards her other half. After a while, regardless of how "superwomaing" you are, you start to feel cheated and then that is where the problem starts

Imagine, so we both leave the house at 7am, come back home at 8pm and you still expect me to do ALL the chores, cooking while you do what exactly?? and you will use your mouth to eat the food I slaved over while you were watching TV or doing whatever you were doing.

I think the problem here, is most men think they did women a favour by marrying them. When a man think he did you a favour by marrying you that is when he will start misbehaving.

Single ladies, carry yourself with dignity, don't let anyman think he did you a favour by marrying you. Just pray when you are looking for a hubby that God should please give you a good, responsible man but most importantly someone that is your best friend and has a conscience

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Am I Doing The Right Thing Or I Will Regret It / My Wife Is Seeking For Divorce And She Is Crying / My First Son Arrived Today, His Name Peter Obi Akpaka

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.