Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,562 members, 7,955,084 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:32 PM

Playing Your Cards Right - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Playing Your Cards Right (13565 Views)

Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? / Is This What Girls Call Playing Hard To Get? / When Playing Hard-to-get Causes A Guy To Lose Interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 8:45pm On Mar 31, 2012
At this point in time, almost no-one I know actually believes in Love. Because we've misunderstood it and twisted it to an unrecognizable feature. There's so much I wanna talk about, but I'll start with this one: Playing your cards right.

Last week, I created a thread, asking why Nice girls finished last. I got a lot of feedback, in particular from guys, who kept advising my girl to "be herself". I wondered about it and came to a realization:

MOST OF THE FAILING RELATIONSHIPS YOU SEE, THE REALLY BITTER ONES WHICH HURT YOU A LOT, AT SOME POINT, THE PEOPLE IN THEM PLAYED THEIR CARDS RIGHT

Playing your cards right is another way of saying Manipulation. Hence we tell girls, if you play your cards right (bleep often, be nice, be friendly, cook), that man will marry you. And it works. We tell guys "spend, don't call her too often, be in charge, trip her" and it again, works.
So why's the divorce rate going up, since we've all become sooooo smart?

You see, it's easy to behave like wife and husband material. The problem is that playing cards is a euphemism for games, and all games MUST end at one point. So the couple begin to see the truth of each other. And kasala go she le.
I know at least 3 marriages in which I can confirm the ladies played their cards right and got the guys. One, 6 months in, she was in Hell She's still there. The other, it took 2 years for her to realise she married a very laid-back, strongly yoruba guy (and she's not yoruba and she doesn't compromise). Small action film dey, but luckily, her husband's too close to his family to cheat. The 3rd, well, no-one likes accidentally going to visit the couple for long visits, his wife makes the word "rude" come alive.
For guys, you charm the girl, then once you get her, settle into your real character. Same thing happened to my babe. God help her if she had married that dude in the first 6 months, she's seeing his character now and it's upto her to decide whether she can live with what she sees (it takes 6 months of live-seeing to start seeing the truth, which is why I don't like online dating). So then, the ladies begin to complain: you're too careless with your words, you don't give me enough attention. But imagine if they had both played their cards right and married in the first 6 months of seeing in person. So you see the best marriages nowadays belong to those whom dated from Uni or earlier, where they didn't know how to hide. They still have problems, but they rarely pack up. Because both parties in it are like our parents, i.e they've been together for long, they don see finish, na wetin you wan use surprise anyone.
Playing your cards right is selling your market. But it should come with a tag: Buyer Beware, Goods sold may be different from what is Priced.

5 Likes

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 8:56pm On Mar 31, 2012
And btw, guys, every girl who has played her cards right to get you, does not love you. Trust me, I've played my cards right, and my feelings were in check, I didn't really send the n#@$er, he was a means to an end. Once I started to like him and give ear to my emotions, gbam, we started having problems. He too was playing cards right. The truth caught both of us. We're in Time-out now and I don't know if it's permanent.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Killz3(m): 8:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
Playing Cards = Manipulation. . . Right?
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Killz3(m): 9:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
I swear i don't understand this. . . sad

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by slimyem: 9:06pm On Mar 31, 2012
^no be only you o.
I am discombobulated!cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Killz3(m): 9:10pm On Mar 31, 2012
slimyem: ^no be only you o.
I am discombobulated!cheesy cheesy cheesy
I'm complicatedly obfuscated. . . cheesy
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by claremont(m): 9:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
No bi small tin oh!
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Emmerlee(m): 9:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
**clears throat**

Em, which one is better btw:
- Playing your cards right to make him/her fall for you or;
- Becoming a looser yourself and then having no one look your way at all?
Aside from the very few 'natural' card/game players out there, I believe pple 'play cards right' because they realised it's suddenly working for them..

But then again - If you got him/her by playing your cards right then bera be prepared to continue playing those cards for as long as you intend to keep that fire burning.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 9:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Killz~:
Playing Cards = Manipulation. . . Right?

Yup
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 9:30pm On Mar 31, 2012
Emmerlee: **clears throat**

Em, which one is better btw:
- Playing your cards right to make him/her fall for you or;
- Becoming a looser yourself and then having no one look your way at all?
Aside from the very few 'natural' card/game players out there, I believe pple 'play cards right' because they realised it's suddenly working for them..

But then again - If you got him/her by playing your cards right then bera be prepared to continue playing those cards for as long as you intent to keep that fire burning.

Nothing wrong with playing your cards, just don't accept all you see as the truth. Because I've seen too many people complain they didn't realise the other person was like that.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Emmerlee(m): 9:52pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onegai:

Nothing wrong with playing your cards, just don't accept all you see as the truth. Because I've seen too many people complain they didn't realise the other person was like that.

True. There's a lot of falsehood involved in playing cards. Unfortunately that's what pple tend to fall for all the time..
Be your natural (boring, stalking, truthful, predictable etc) self and you may end up not having even one person appreciate you 4 you. Funny!

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onegai: And btw, guys, every girl who has played her cards right to get you, does not love you. Trust me, I've played my cards right, and my feelings were in check, I didn't really send the n#@$er, he was a means to an end. Once I started to like him and give ear to my emotions, gbam, we started having problems. He too was playing cards right. The truth caught both of us. We're in Time-out now and I don't know if it's permanent.

Love don't really matter to me, it all about mutual respect and understanding.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by 49cents(m): 10:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
Landers are always talking about "mature" threads and here is one of 'em and its not trending
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by 49cents(m): 11:02pm On Aug 04, 2012
I observe that unadulterated love can not thrive in the Nigerian community; spent some time in East Africa earlier in the year and found out its far cry from whats obtainable back here; and the reason is that we here have become so sophisticated, lost our simplicity, have false idea of what we truly need and whats worse we don't believe again its naturally attainable so we play cards...and like the OP noted does not work ultimately.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Nobody: 2:57am On Aug 05, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by NerdyPoet(m): 3:31am On Aug 05, 2012
Onegai:

Yup
So manipulation = Great relationship?
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 05, 2012
Onegai: And btw, guys, every girl who has played her cards right to get you, does not love you. Trust me, I've played my cards right, and my feelings were in check, I didn't really send the n#@$er, he was a means to an end. Once I started to like him and give ear to my emotions, gbam, we started having problems. He too was playing cards right. The truth caught both of us. We're in Time-out now and I don't know if it's permanent.
On point. Deception backfires. And like some1 said, mutual respect and understanding first then love will be added unto you.

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Rocktation(f): 9:22am On Aug 05, 2012
Manipulation isn't always involved in playing cards right na, Onegai.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 12:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
@Rocktation: pls explain. In over 70% of the cases I've seen, extreme manipulation is involved. I know one such case where the guy's gf sent a stinker of an email threatening someone she considered her rival. Then she and her bobo went off fb to get away and reconcile and they got engaged. I spoke to the rival, who hadn't even contacted the guy in over 6 months, had moved on and I found out that the gf used the rival's fb name to open the email address she used to send the stinker. Everyone now suspects the gf also used that email address to impersonate her so-called rival to "check" her bf. But reading that gf's fb wall is like attending church. What she did is what I've seen people recommend partners do in their rels, and it's manipulation. The gf "played her cards right". It works short-term but longterm...
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Rocktation(f): 3:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
True in that case. But overall, it depends on the way you look at it. There's really no clear-cut difference between an outright manipulation and just another unplanned good move. Because both can be done in hope of getting a definite result, except of cos, the latter usually lacks strategy. As such, I'd like to call an unplanned good move, playing right too. Wouldn't you?
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 5:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
Nah, an unplanned good move is not playing. It just happened and gave great results. A guy listens to me talk and realises my goals, and likes are his, he falls for me, totally unplanned. A guy meets me and I say "I love footie" because he's wearing gear, cards playing. The example I cited above, the gf used to cry and swear on her virginity, and declare she loved the boy. They had not met in real life, it was an internet rel. When they met, she got into her bf's email account and checked on him. The guy went from making jokes abt the situation to marrying her. That's playing your cards right. Having a strategy to marry someone is wrong. Because it means the person wasn't yours, so you had to pull tricks to get him. Which is why all those books that advise women to play hard to get, think like a man, blah blah are great for catching the man. They suddenly stop working once he's caught and the marriage has to be sustained. Because that advice works for catching men who, left to themselves, wouldn't notice you, because he wasn't yours in the first place. If he was, you being yourself would keep him with you.
An aunt gave me advise "don't talk too much, you don't wanna sound too smart and like a talkative, let the guy talk more, you can reveal that after marriage." I kept quiet, because my cousin had taken her advice and sweetly smiled her way into an 8-months courtship and marriage with a Big Boy. Who 3 yrs later, is complaining that he never knew my cousin had a temper. Yup, he's cheating. I keep advising my male friends "don't marry any girl until you've pissed her off more than 5 times".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
Onegai: At this point in time, almost no-one I know actually believes in Love. Because we've misunderstood it and twisted it to an unrecognizable feature. There's so much I wanna talk about, but I'll start with this one: Playing your cards right.

Last week, I created a thread, asking why Nice girls finished last. I got a lot of feedback, in particular from guys, who kept advising my girl to "be herself". I wondered about it and came to a realization:

MOST OF THE FAILING RELATIONSHIPS YOU SEE, THE REALLY BITTER ONES WHICH HURT YOU A LOT, AT SOME POINT, THE PEOPLE IN THEM PLAYED THEIR CARDS RIGHT

Playing your cards right is another way of saying Manipulation. Hence we tell girls, if you play your cards right (bleep often, be nice, be friendly, cook), that man will marry you. And it works. We tell guys "spend, don't call her too often, be in charge, trip her" and it again, works.

You see, it's easy to behave like wife and husband material. The problem is that playing cards is a euphemism for games, and all games MUST end at one point. So the couple begin to see the truth of each other. And kasala go she le.
I know at least 3 marriages in which I can confirm the ladies played their cards right and got the guys. One, 6 months in, she was in Hell She's still there. The other, it took 2 years for her to realise she married a very laid-back, strongly yoruba guy (and she's not yoruba and she doesn't compromise). Small action film dey, but luckily, her husband's too close to his family to cheat. The 3rd, well, no-one likes accidentally going to visit the couple for long visits, his wife makes the word "rude" come alive.
For guys, you charm the girl, then once you get her, settle into your real character. Same thing happened to my babe. God help her if she had married that dude in the first 6 months, she's seeing his character now and it's upto her to decide whether she can live with what she sees (it takes 6 months of live-seeing to start seeing the truth, which is why I don't like online dating). So then, the ladies begin to complain: you're too careless with your words, you don't give me enough attention. But imagine if they had both played their cards right and married in the first 6 months of seeing in person. So you see the best marriages nowadays belong to those whom dated from Uni or earlier, where they didn't know how to hide. They still have problems, but they rarely pack up. Because both parties in it are like our parents, i.e they've been together for long, they don see finish, na wetin you wan use surprise anyone.
Playing your cards right is selling your market. But it should come with a tag: Buyer Beware, Goods sold may be different from what is Priced.

i feel this. Truth is i respect long courtship all that uni runs things. Cos you've been there done that and based all you know about the person you decide to get married. Sadly the chick i wanted to wife from 4 years back didn't feel the same way. But my new girl's great and we're definitely dating for at least a year before i put that ring on it. We need to know each other in smooth and rough situations!

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Rocktation(f): 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
Hmmn, good point. It kind of takes things deeper though. It makes it seem as though life in its entirety, must be based on manipulation. I mean, who does anything like tells stories about themselves, without anticipating (subconsciously or not) a reaction/end effect to/of it...be it good or even bad? I get where you're coming from yeah, but you implied so yourself; the remaining 30percent of cards played right cases you know, account for exceptions.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Onegai(f): 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
Rocktation: Hmmn, good point. It kind of takes things deeper though. It makes it seem as though life in its entirety, must be based on manipulation. I mean, who does anything like tells stories about themselves, without anticipating (subconsciously or not) a reaction/end effect to/of it...be it good or even bad? I get where you're coming from yeah, but you implied so yourself; the remaining 30percent of cards played right cases you know, account for exceptions.

You can be yourself, and that man/woman will love and appreciate you. There's this thought going round now that a person isn't off-bounds as long as he/she isn't married, ie go for what you want at all costs. Or there's a rival and you "step up" your game to win him/her. Be honest, if you hadn't pulled out the stops, that man/woman would have walked past you. That alone should tell you to back off. And here's the sad part: you sold them a false note, so once the ring is on, be prepared to keep acting like that, or else. In all the playing cards right situation, it was the manipulator who was the one who came to meet me to confess their regret. For the 30% it seemingly worked well for, I'll hazard a guess: one of the couple was being honest and understood the other. God is Love and last I checked, He didn't manipulate you to win your eternal love and obedience, so why are we doing it? If you are so willing to fight for something that should be free, doesn't that show that's not free for YOU therefore, it's not yours?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Rocktation(f): 12:01am On Aug 06, 2012
Hmmn..Okies. smiley
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by LordReed(m): 1:44am On Aug 06, 2012
@Onegai
I appreciate the structure of your thoughts out here. Your words remind us that building good character is more essential than simply appearing to be desirable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2012
Lord_Reed: @Onegai
I appreciate the structure of your thoughts out here. Your words remind us that building good character is more essential than simply appearing to be desirable.

Truth of the matter. In addition a healthy dose of self esteem.

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by ihedinobi2: 8:11pm On Oct 14, 2014
A woman after my own heart.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by jotey(m): 8:27pm On Oct 14, 2014
ok
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by bukatyne(f): 8:39pm On May 14, 2015
Your treads makes sense O!

I 100% agree putting up a false image of yourself aka packaging and rebranding might win someone, However it never sustains a relationship /marriage

Hence the popular cliche that courtship is different from marriage which is not always true.
Re: Playing Your Cards Right by Mystiqme: 10:38pm On May 14, 2015
This is the first thing I always tell anyone I am in a relationship with. Do not do/be anything you will not do/be in 10/20 years, because I won't.

Sense.

1 Like

Re: Playing Your Cards Right by JuanDeDios: 11:29am On Nov 21, 2016
Onegai:
At this point in time, almost no-one I know actually believes in Love. Because we've misunderstood it and twisted it to an unrecognizable feature. There's so much I wanna talk about, but I'll start with this one: Playing your cards right.

Brilliant. This ought to be obvious, but for some reason it's not. Once you go textbook and play GAMES, you're erecting a castle in quicksand. Being yourself and letting the other person like you or leave you like that is the least you can do if you're thinking of a permanent relationship.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did You Feel The Day You Lost Your Virginity? Achievement Or Loss? / This Beautiful Lady Was Denied Job Because Of Her B**bs Are ‘too Big’ (photos) / If Those Wrinkles Ain't There, Forget It— Slay Queen As She Flaunts Her Bare Bum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.