Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,659 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop (15373 Views)

Association Of Nigerians In The Diaspora (AND) / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Tokunboh: To Live Abroad, Nigerians In Diaspora, And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nnenna1(f): 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2012
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Hoodrat(m): 11:34am On May 18, 2012
ekwy nwa:

@ Hood[b]RAT[/b], STFU angry
NL will not miss your rambling azz. Claptrap

Lol stfu internet thug.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 03, 2012
The BIGGEST perpetrator is the OP. grin

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by tpia5: 2:24am On Jun 03, 2012
My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV

werent you the one who opened a thread [i just posted there] saying your edo friends told you edos are yoruba?

or what was that topic about again?

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Dsecret: 7:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
gbosaa: TV/Movies / Re: You Know It's A Nigerian Movie When... by[b] shymmex(m[/b]): 1 day & 3 hours
When you see: 51 Iweka road, Onitsha and 199 good is able road, Aba.

When you see titles like: I love you, love is mine, what's love got to do, love is heaven, heavenly love, love in the sky, skyline love, love from above, above love, where's the love, love falls down etc..

Iweka road, Onitsha has to be the most street in Nigeria ... I need to visit that road, when next I hit Naija.

Advert: ohhhh... mama "Gbam!! Nneka Nneka Nneka, I luff you ohhh... my life ohhhhh, mama Emeka don kill mechuma, I beg ohhh... Chai, Igweeee, tufiakwa.

POSTED BY THE SHYMMEX....less than 48hrs ago...SMH
ha ha Y na ma broda lets stop dis hate tins & i tink that wat shymmex z all 4 now.my piple hates will lead us no where,lets us all be a preacher of love & not hate.BLESSED ARE D PEACE MAKERS FOR ..... ... ....
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by cjrane: 7:07pm On Oct 28, 2012
shymmex: Sitting on my bed, as I inhale, and exhale my cigarette smoke - I reminisce how I used to view Nigerians as the same people. I was never raised to believe my tribe was superior to my “bredrin’s” tribe. We were all raised as Nigerians first before anything – and we all used to verbally defend Nigeria against our Ghanaian peers – and fist fight our Caribbean peers. That seems like a long time ago now – because tribalism is now rife among Nigerians in diaspora, and on the virtual World Wide Web. It seems we were all young back then, and we were living in denial – and probably tribalists on the inside, but Nigerian on outside.

I noticed every time I chat to my friends now (most of whom have never been to Nigeria) – they are always quick to point out their tribes. My Igbo friend told me the other day, that his sister got married to one of ‘my people’. I was shocked when he said one of ‘my people’ – and I asked him what he meant by that. He then explained to me that his sister got married to a Yoruba guy. My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV. To be honest, I’m not comfortable with this new trend. It seems everyone in the diaspora has now been infected the tribal consciousness virus. We never used to be like this – we used to be proud Nigerians back in the days – when we used go to African parties, and jam to Sir Shina Peters and King Sunny Ade together as Nigerians. Where did it go wrong?

Today, I went on youtube to check SBTV (a UK urban music video channel on youtube) – and I saw an acoustic performance by the great Nigerian singer, Nneka. As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

We’re all still Nigerians, pending our disintegration – which is not happening in the foreseeable future. The older folks among us need to stop promoting tribal sentiments – and start raising their kids as Nigerians. The Nigerian diaspora is already divided along class, and country of residence lines – we shouldn’t divide further – what’s already divided.

I know Nigeria is in a sorry state – but we don’t need to write the country off. I believe in the population, and the diversity Nigeria brings. I believe in the Nigerian people. If china can go from being a hellhole, to being a superpower – I believe Nigeria can also do the same. Nigerians are a unique group of people, bond together by the Confluence of Niger & Benue River – and we shouldn't break the natural confluence, which binds us together. Nigeria is Africa – and the future of Africa depends on Nigeria. If Nigeria can rise to its full potentials – I believe Africa definitely has an opportunity to turn the tide – but if Nigeria fails, Africa is going to be exploited forever.

Nigeria is Europe’s mistake – but a blessing to mama Africa. The future of the black race depends on us – we can’t let our race down.

N/B: Some may want to claim that I'm also a tribalist - but the truth is that I was infected with the bug on NL, and I have since rid myself off the silly bug. cool

My question to this baseless article is;
Is Nneka not Igbo?
If she came to Oyo state for work, will you employ her if she isn't yoruba?
Please take your jargons elsewhere.If future of black race depends on Nigeria,then black people are f...cked up indeed !

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Dsecret: 7:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
gbosaa: TV/Movies / Re: You Know It's A Nigerian Movie When... by[b] shymmex(m[/b]): 1 day & 3 hours
When you see: 51 Iweka road, Onitsha and 199 good is able road, Aba.

When you see titles like: I love you, love is mine, what's love got to do, love is heaven, heavenly love, love in the sky, skyline love, love from above, above love, where's the love, love falls down etc..

Iweka road, Onitsha has to be the most street in Nigeria ... I need to visit that road, when next I hit Naija.

Advert: ohhhh... mama "Gbam!! Nneka Nneka Nneka, I luff you ohhh... my life ohhhhh, mama Emeka don kill mechuma, I beg ohhh... Chai, Igweeee, tufiakwa.

POSTED BY THE SHYMMEX....less than 48hrs ago...SMH
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Horus(m): 11:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
Tribalism on Nairaland do not comme all the time from Nigerians or Africans. Many Europeans are in disguise on Nairaland and post tribalistic messages to divide Nigerians. They try to make you believe that they are Africans or Nigerians. There are many agendas behind what you read. Know that it is actually an understanding of positive and negative that will truly tell you what is in the best interests for Nigerians. A righteous Nigerian may disagree with aspects of the message but they would not openly try and deter others from receiving it.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by achukwunet(f): 6:11am On Oct 29, 2012
kristiansmart: Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]

Agreed. Nigerians everywhere need to read this. It's time for our country to come together

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Horus(m): 9:37am On Oct 29, 2012
9jadelta: Tribalism is like cancer.. It can neva be cured it can only be curbed

It can be cured with the right medecine
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by nku5: 10:23am On Oct 29, 2012
The possibility of foreigners whipping up tribalsm scares the shyte out of me. I find it difficult to believe though. Has any poster ever been busted?

Horus: Tribalism on Nairaland do not comme all the time from Nigerians or Africans. Many Europeans are in disguise on Nairaland and post tribalistic messages to divide Nigerians. They try to make you believe that they are Africans or Nigerians. There are many agendas behind what you read. Know that it is actually an understanding of positive and negative that will truly tell you what is in the best interests for Nigerians. A righteous Nigerian may disagree with aspects of the message but they would not openly try and deter others from receiving it.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Ugosample(m): 1:06pm On Jul 24, 2019
in 2019 the issue of tribalism has gotten even worse
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by alphaNomega: 3:28pm On Jul 24, 2019
Sitting on my bed, as I inhale, and exhale my cigarette smoke - I reminisce how I used to view Nigerians as the same people. I was never raised to believe my tribe was superior to my “bredrin’s” tribe. We were all raised as Nigerians first before anything – and we all used to verbally defend Nigeria against our Ghanaian peers – and fist fight our Caribbean peers. That seems like a long time ago now – because tribalism is now rife among Nigerians in diaspora, and on the virtual World Wide Web. It seems we were all young back then, and we were living in denial – and probably tribalists on the inside, but Nigerian on outside.

I noticed every time I chat to my friends now (most of whom have never been to Nigeria) – they are always quick to point out their tribes. My Igbo friend told me the other day, that his sister got married to one of ‘my people’. I was shocked when he said one of ‘my people’ – and I asked him what he meant by that. He then explained to me that his sister got married to a Yoruba guy. My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV. To be honest, I’m not comfortable with this new trend. It seems everyone in the diaspora has now been infected the tribal consciousness virus. We never used to be like this – we used to be proud Nigerians back in the days – when we used go to African parties, and jam to Sir Shina Peters and King Sunny Ade together as Nigerians. Where did it go wrong?

Today, I went on youtube to check SBTV (a UK urban music video channel on youtube) – and I saw an acoustic performance by the great Nigerian singer, Nneka. As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

We’re all still Nigerians, pending our disintegration – which is not happening in the foreseeable future. The older folks among us need to stop promoting tribal sentiments – and start raising their kids as Nigerians. The Nigerian diaspora is already divided along class, and country of residence lines – we shouldn’t divide further – what’s already divided.

I know Nigeria is in a sorry state – but we don’t need to write the country off. I believe in the population, and the diversity Nigeria brings. I believe in the Nigerian people. If china can go from being a hellhole, to being a superpower – I believe Nigeria can also do the same. Nigerians are a unique group of people, bond together by the Confluence of Niger & Benue River – and we shouldn't break the natural confluence, which binds us together. Nigeria is Africa – and the future of Africa depends on Nigeria. If Nigeria can rise to its full potentials – I believe Africa definitely has an opportunity to turn the tide – but if Nigeria fails, Africa is going to be exploited forever.

Nigeria is Europe’s mistake – but a blessing to mama Africa. The future of the black race depends on us – we can’t let our race down.

N/B: Some may want to claim that I'm also a tribalist - but the truth is that I was infected with the bug on NL, and I have since rid myself off the silly bug. cool

Na from clap dance dey start. Remember when kidnappers were only taking expatriates working with oil conglomerates, Nigerians cheered them on. Today everybody is being kidnapped. Let the tribalism continue!!!!!
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by alphaNomega: 3:29pm On Jul 24, 2019
cjrane:

My question to this baseless article is;
Is Nneka not Igbo?
If she came to Oyo state for work, will you employ her if she isn't yoruba?
Please take your jargons elsewhere.If future of black race depends on Nigeria,then black people are f...cked up indeed !

Black people are already fvcked up, Nigeria or no Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Edwin Clark: Why Tinubu Is Afraid To Speak On Restructuring / FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign / Must They Humiliate Tinubu Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.