Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,551 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30540 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by kay9(m): 4:10pm On May 03, 2012
debosky:

So he has not earned trust by footing 100% of the bill for setting up their home? Does he need to sell his left testicle to prove financial trust?
Lmao! grin grin grin I no know oo! Ask her!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by profola2be(m): 4:12pm On May 03, 2012
[quote author=dayokanu]Honestly some women do not deserve any form of happiness in their lives.

The OP knew fully well that the husband spent his money on their house they would live and she still had the guts to tell him to go borrow? Why not tell him to sell his blood so he can get married to you.

If I were to be the husband I would call the marriage off. SIMPLE

Or another option, OP you pay for the house and let the husband pay 100% for the wedding. DEAL?

Or is there another culture that say
dont mind the OP.
She is just too self centered and sell meat.
when i and my wife were planing for our wedding,even when my wife knew that,i was financially okay,she contributed to our wedding plans financially,even when i didnt ask her to contribute a dime.
i know that,if the OP was my own fiancee then,she would have asked me to buy the pants she would have even wore on our wedding day,since she knew that i was financially okay, and our culture says it's the man that should die search for money for the wedding.
what a selfish and sel-meat FIANCEE.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 03, 2012
Konnektions146:
i dont wannna looose de respect i have for u

Too late, my opinion, like it or hate it.
debosky:

I don't excuse his comment, but he said it likely because he knows the woman is the type who will say 'go and borrow'!

So he has not earned trust by footing 100% of the bill for setting up their home? Does he need to sell his left testicle to prove financial trust?

If that is the case, the woman should drop 50% of the house cost/renovation (which they will both use after marriage) so he has more money to put towards the wedding.

This greedy woman wants to have the unexpected accommodation costs paid for by the hubby AND the wedding costs all at once. Not everyone is as wealthy.

I do not believe in 50-50 in marriage and that has always applied even before marriage. A man must go extra miles to foot his wedding. This woman does not mind contributing but her question is why 80%? why should I contribute 80%? Am I the one marrying him? Did I propose to him? Out of a million he chose me, so please let him do his work
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Konnektions146(m): 4:14pm On May 03, 2012
BiafranFirstSon: A man is helping Ur family by taking out a heavy load like u and u are here seeking fro stupid advise.i will give u one advice. Change or tomorrow u will me out here to cry that men are heartless.
chei lwkmd

nwanna, make u see de kind brain our girl get...
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 03, 2012
I will not spend a dime on my wedding. If he doesn't have enough money we will cut out all the eating and drinking. Even if it means on that day not much to eat or drink talkless of decorations and what not. This is not to say I can't spend my money on my hubby. But definitely not to marry him. I can even buy him a car more expensive than the wedding cost. But I won't live the rest of my life knowing he got me on a platter.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by moremi2008(m): 4:18pm On May 03, 2012
Wow! This thread has really opened my eyes into how Nigerian women think. No wonder we keep hearing these horrible stories about domestic violence and spousal abuse. Why won't the man treat you like a pet dog when you've completely resigned yourself to being a financial leech? Why won't he want to marry another woman after he becomes rich, after all, he bought you and he should be free to buy another one?

Nigerian women need to think carefully about their marital expectations. You can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't demand to be treated as a partner but refuse to act like a true partner when the chips are down. Life just doesn't work that way. You can't expect your husband to pay an exorbitant bride price, pay for a lavish wedding and then pay for housing, rent, food, clothing, and school fees at AIS and when he starts resenting you, you start crying foul and acting up!!!

6 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 4:18pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:
I do not believe in 50-50 in marriage and that has always applied even before marriage. A man must go extra miles to foot his wedding. This woman does not mind contributing but her question is why 80%? why should I contribute 80%? Am I the one marrying him? Did I propose to him? Out of a million he chose me, so please let him do his work

Extra mile like going to borrow? Or sell his plasma or go do money rituals?

80% because the man spent a huge chunk of his money renting a house. If the house expense didnt come, he wouldnt have asked her for a dime. Since the groom had an emergency that took a huge his money away he should go rob a bank to marry the Mgbeke.

I have given a solution let her rent the house and the man would foot the wedding 100% DEAL?

3 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 03, 2012
kkk17: I will not spend a dime on my wedding. If he doesn't have enough money we will cut out all the eating and drinking. Even if it means on that day not much to eat or drink talkless of decorations and what not. This is not to say I can't spend my money on my hubby. But definitely not to marry him. I can even buy him a car more expensive than the wedding cost. But I won't live the rest of my life knowing he got me on a platter.
cool
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by kay9(m): 4:21pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

I do not believe in 50-50 in marriage and that has always applied even before marriage. A man must go extra miles to foot his wedding... Am I the one marrying him? Did I propose to him? Out of a million he chose me, so please let him do his work
Lmao! I don die! Lol... ''Out of a million''; only 1million? E suppose pass na, mehn u must be foine! Where were u when Agbani won Miss World sef? grin grin
-
Hey chaircover, u agree with this too?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

Extra mile like going to borrow? Or sell his plasma or go do money rituals?

80% because the man spent a huge chunk of his money renting a house. If the house expense didnt come, he wouldnt have asked her for a dime. Since the groom had an emergency that took a huge his money away he should go rob a bank to marry the Mgbeke.

I have given a solution let her rent the house and the man would foot the wedding 100% DEAL?

No deal. grin the only two persons I do nt see myself as equal to are my husband and father, every other man better watch out cool

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by cogsej06(m): 4:25pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

See better understand n get married to a responsible man dat hv plans than come to a public forum complaining n nagging like a kid. i hope u wont nag n insult him in future if eventually u give him d money ........if nt b prepared to remain unmarried or go look for ready made men. mcheeeeeeeew
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Habibakasim(f): 4:27pm On May 03, 2012
@ jay bee u got it ryt. It ol abt understandin eachother n manner of approch
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 4:28pm On May 03, 2012
Nigerian girls and their longthroat mentality would never cease to amaze me. You even had "my wedding" in the topic! Ain't marriages supposed to be about two becoming one!

I am not wishing you bad, but you do not deserve this gentleman. You have been dating this dude for the past 5 years, and according to you, you have been mounting pressure on him to marry you for the past 4 years, and he has been nonchalant about this and you feel shortchanged because you are the only one stringing the relationship along and doing the lionshare of sustaining the relationship. . . Has it ever occurred to you that your fiance is aloof because he can see you are self-centred, self-absorbed and selfish to boot!!!

When the issue of the accommodation you were both going to move into after the wedding came up, why did you not volunteer to chip in and help with the rent and renovation? Why goad him and frustrate him into lashing out at you to chip in for the wedding? I DON'T BLAME YOUR FIANCE ONE BIT FOR TELLING YOU TO FOOT THE WEDDING BILL.

NOW OVER TO YOU, SINCE YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WANTS THE WEDDING AND YOU ARE GAINFULLY EMPLOYED AND YOU ARE THE ONE WHO AGE IS NO LONGER ON YOUR SIDE, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?

4 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Onyatinu: 4:30pm On May 03, 2012
Say wetin happen? I can assist my husband nd Family but not in payment of dowry.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 03, 2012
I have heard some of the comments and this is not really about culture, it is about what makes sense. Your fiancee has paid rent with his money and you know he really does not have.
OP you should be disappointed in yourself for suggesting your husband goes to take a loan (and probably pay interest) just because you want to prove a point to society that you can afford a big wedding. This is the kind of woman that will move out when things get tough for the man because you wouldn't see reason, its about getting your way.
What is bad in using your money. If you do not think spending on your own wedding ceremony is worth it, then you should not get married. Afterall, are you not the one going to wear the gown and look beautiful? If you cannot invest your own money in that then you dont deserve to be married.
I am not saying a woman should pay for the wedding, all I am saying is that in this case that the husband does not have and she does, then she should see it as worth spending her own money.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by narttis1: 4:31pm On May 03, 2012
grin grin grin you mean the wedding for the money is finished?

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by yusuf2(m): 4:32pm On May 03, 2012
Miss Chinwe11, if this man u're about to get married to is d same person u complained about here "www.nairaland.com/647107/asking-too-much-pls-help/1" , then i think u've got a much bigger problem, it's obvious his nonchalant attitude towards you is what is at play here!

I am only going to make a cautious comment because i can't b certain u're not only giving us ur own side of d story polished to make him look like the devil & u, d saint. how ever, if ur 2 threads are of d same man & u are being true to ur words, my simple advise is to go straight to him & ask him "if & why he really want u to b his wife?" "Make ur deductions from his response & manner of it". I believe u're matured enough to know ur nxt step!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by NOIBMUUL(m): 4:33pm On May 03, 2012
Me I don't know where it is the sole responsibility of a man to be financially responsible for all the wedding expenses o? I even wonder the kind of wife this OP will be sef! No wonder some men treat ladies like trash when they expect the man to be responsible for even their undies! Women with petty and frivolous issues! #ur money is more important than your marriage abi?#

Come sef, I thought the law and constitution we adopted makes the woman (and her family) responsible footing the wedding bill?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

I believe He will be looking up to her to feed him. A man that opens his mouth to say "shebi you have your own money" who says that? BTW my post had a question mark at the end?

Why should a woman spend more cos she earns more? Debo ki lo de? So because I earn more I should contribute more than half? I am having trouble contributing 10% and you are talking more than half? Until he puts the ring in that finger my money is my money. You earn trust, he has to earn my trust financially first before anything wink

When they are married, the money is jointly owned but since they are still getting there, her money is hers and his money should step up the game in the wedding preparation
Believe me even when you get married Ur money will still be ur money as far as Im concerned. All this talk sef. I dont know why some of you women bother getting married. U could just be alone, enjoy ur money alone get one man who will be servicing u and giver U UR babies.its easy.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 03, 2012
yusuf_@:
Miss Chinwe11, if this man u're about to get married to is d same person u complained about here "www.nairaland.com/647107/asking-too-much-pls-help/1" , then i think u've got a much bigger problem, it's obvious his nonchalant attitude towards you is what is at play here!

I am only going to make a cautious comment because i can't b certain u're not only giving us ur own side of d story polished to make him look like the devil & u, d saint. how ever, if ur 2 threads are of d same man & u are being true to ur words, my simple advise is to go straight to him & ask him "if & why he really want u to b his wife?" "Make ur deductions from his response & manner of it". I believe u're matured enough to know ur nxt step!

Now I know why she doesn't want to contribute that much shocked
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Purist(m): 4:36pm On May 03, 2012
From all I've read here so far (and I've taken my time, believe me), I see that there is an apparent disparity between men and women here on their conceived notions about marriage/wedding. Apparently, the women - for some reason - believe that contributing in huge chunks financially to their own wedding makes them appear desperate. I guess such mentality only thrives in Nigeria/Africa. Many women here now are incredibly quick to tout and promote "culture" because the pecuniary responsibilities here do not seem to favour them. Yet, these same women shout on top of their voices claiming "equal rights". I guess "equal" rights are selective in the women's world.

I must confess that I am beyond shocked that there are women here who proudly beat their chest, proclaiming that they never contributed a dime to their own wedding. Never heard such, honestly. I can understand if they contributed less, but NOTHING at all? Like seriously?? But then, as I have also got to learn on this thread, it is more of a tribal thing, so I'll let that pass.

The situation here seems like all the women on this board are so fixated on ONLY the wedding and its costs, that they now call the man names and even question his love for his woman, conveniently ignoring the FACT that this man bore all the finances for rent and renovation ALONE for BOTH of them.

Okay, let's reverse the scenario.

- If the guy decides to spend all 100% of his money on the wedding, but insists that his wife-to-be contributes 80% of her own money to the housing, would you see things differently?

- Okay, how about if they had split all the costs 50-50 right from the very beginning (from rent, to renovation to wedding)? If you agree to this, then you'd also agree that there's not much difference - from a mathematical and objective point of view - between this instance and the one they're currently facing. So why not encourage this woman to simply contribute to something they will BOTH benefit from?

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by tjdj: 4:36pm On May 03, 2012
@Tgirl4real God bless you "4real",its not everyday u see a Nigerian girl reason like dat, u stole my heart with that comment "IF U ARE NOT REALLY TO BAIL HIM OUT,KINDLY WAIT TILL HE IS FINANCIALLY BOUYANT, WHILE HE MARRIES ANODA GIRL IN A LOWKEY WEDDING..GBAM
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by tasandra: 4:38pm On May 03, 2012
Sorry, i dont like that shebi u get money talk sha undecidedand 1 once again agree wit chair cover smiley
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 4:38pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: A lot of men here do all sorts of odd jobs to take care of their family, if this man is looking up to a woman for finance to marry her then what happens if they become financially weak later, he is going to be looking up to his wife to feed him?

Men are carers here wiping the bums of these oldies, these are men that know their roles in the house.

And what has this got to do with the situation?

The money the guy spent on the house where did it come from? Did the OP say the groom wasnt working or he wasnt making money?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by MissEZ(f): 4:41pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

You sound a little selfish. You guys are getting married and building a life together. Help the man out, abi arent you supposed to be a help mate? The wedding is for both of you and not just him, even if he doesnt ask, shey you wont help? Shaking my head. The way people think sef
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nairaboi(m): 4:43pm On May 03, 2012
slimyem: ....at least you know what he used his own part of the money for...
Its towards both your comfort after the wedding!
If you can afford it and he's worth it,then do and stop wondering about what's okay of not!don't be SELFISH!
Or betterstill postpone the wedding until he saves up enough money for the wedding and hope he hasnt changed his mind about marrying you by that time!
. . . Slimy u make cence 4 once.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by MegaG: 4:43pm On May 03, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

And what has this got to do with the situation?

The money the guy spent on the house where did it come from? Did the OP say the groom wasnt working or he wasnt making money?

Very important comment-my comment.

A man that opens is mouth to say "shebi you have your own money" sounds to me like one who if things get too difficult, will just sit down and expect the woman to use her own money to feed him.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:44pm On May 03, 2012
tasandra: Sorry, i dont like that shebi u get money talk sha undecidedand 1 once again agree wit chair cover smiley

His approach or the exact statement might not have been the best, but we have to agree that the dude aint lazy and for him to have fund the accommodation, 100%, fund the furnishing 100% and i am sure there would be more stuff he has funded 100%, so they could either postpone the wedding, or the woman help out.
Again, i will not advice her to fund 80% of the wedding, but like someone suggested, they could scale down the wedding.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 4:44pm On May 03, 2012
moremi2008: Wow! This thread has really opened my eyes into how Nigerian women think. No wonder we keep hearing these horrible stories about domestic violence and spousal abuse.

You hit the nail on the head - this type of thinking is what gets many of them in trouble. The sad thing is that some who married men that overlook this flawed thinking and treat them respectably now tell others that this way of thinking is why they are getting treated well in marriage!

kkk17: But I won't live the rest of my life knowing he got me on a platter.

Glad to know how you think for 'the rest of your life' depends on how much someone spends to 'get you', the same way he 'gets' other items or property.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nairaboi(m): 4:45pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: I totally understand the reason why "hubby" doesn't have enough money to foot the wedding. Accommodation is very important, however I dont like the statement "shebi you have money"

People should learn to speak to their partners with respect and try and put themselves in the other persons shoes and feel what the other person feels before opening their mouths or taking any actions.

He could have said "Sweetheart, we have a problem. You know how much I love you and so much look forward to getting married to you in August, but this accommodation problem has exhausted all my funds. I know that this is not the norm and it is my responsibility to provide for this wedding, however is there any way that you can help me financially please. I will really appreciate it. See it as a loan and I will return it as soon as I am in a position to.

Unless the woman is mentally unstable, if a man approaches her with the right attitude, then she will be more than willing to help. pele lako pele labo

@chinwe please dont be annoyed jare, he is just forming. Please if you know that he is the right man for you, please assist him in whatever way that you can. A good man is worth more than a couple of hundreds thousand naira and he has heaps of time to pay you back over and over again in various different ways

As regards your question on how was he expecting to pay the rent anyway, he is no different from the millions of young men out there living from hand to mouth,thanks to the crazy economic situation of our great country Nigeria. many of us start married life with aluminum spoons in our mouths. God help us all.

And another thing, please dont borrow. I dont know why Nigerians like borrow borrow; borrow for school fees, borrow for wedding, borrow for accommodation. No No No cut your clothes according to your fabric and live within your means.
. . . Ur first paragraph cracked me up. No be only " sweetheart". She shud knw there is a problem, y appeal to her again.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 03, 2012
MegaG: Are u sure that dude truly wants to spend the rest of his life with u? If you ask me i would say base on your past post, i don’t think that guy is into you. If not, why spend all his money on accommodation when he has a wedding around the corner and expects you to foot 80 whole percent of the wedding? Okay let’s look at it this way, you said his rent was meant to end in September, assuming he footed the wedding, how was he planning to pay the rent? And if i may ask, what type of accommodation would take a whole 80% of the money meant for wedding? Why didn’t he go for a 1 bedroom flat and step up when the money start rolling? I no know o! But if you ask me, i would say you should read the hand writing on the wall. That guy is not ready for now![color=#990000][/color]

Thank you. Who spends so much on accommodation and renovation she/he has a wedding around the corner? This gurl has complained about this man before, he might not be a saint after all. Not saying she is blameless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / My Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.