Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,790 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30541 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

Very important comment-my comment.

A man that opens is mouth to say "shebi you have your own money" sounds to me like one who if things get too difficult, will just sit down and expect the woman to use her own money to feed him.

But the man didnt wait for the woman for him to go get them a house.

A woman who tells her groom to go borrow for marriage sounds like a reetard to me
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

But the man didnt wait for the woman for him to go get them a house.

A woman who tells her groom to go borrow for marriage sounds like a reetard to me

That man looks to me like someone who needed the house for himself and not for both of them. He isn't ready for marriage hence her previous post, so why should she invest on something she is not sure of?

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:48pm On May 03, 2012
@ Chaircover, ok, if the man has used the good words instead of the "Shebi you too have money" could you have advised the woman to share in the cost of the wedding ceremony? Once again, i am not telling her to put down 80% of the money.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:50pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

That man looks to me like someone who needed the house for himself and not for both of them. He isn't ready for marriage hence her previous post, so why should she invest on something she is not sure of?

According to the woman, it is the house that they will live together.
However,if you are now saying the woman dont wanna invest into what she is not sure of, that is a different angle and why shd the man now invest into what he knows that the woman is not sure of . . .
The evil that we fear always have a way to show face.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Godmann(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2012
yusuf_@:
Miss Chinwe11, if this man u're about to get married to is d same person u complained about here "www.nairaland.com/647107/asking-too-much-pls-help/1" , then i think u've got a much bigger problem, it's obvious his nonchalant attitude towards you is what is at play here!

I am only going to make a cautious comment because i can't b certain u're not only giving us ur own side of d story polished to make him look like the devil & u, d saint. how ever, if ur 2 threads are of d same man & u are being true to ur words, my simple advise is to go straight to him & ask him "if & why he really want u to b his wife?" "Make ur deductions from his response & manner of it". I believe u're matured enough to know ur nxt step!

After going through the comments on the earlier link. I will advice @Chinwe11 to run from this man.

I hate the mentality of the majority of the ladies here. But I strongly suspect that the guy involved here is up to games. he may not what to marry you in the first place. I suspect you have been forcing yourself on him and he is probably getting the better of you financially.

His intentions over you is all but for your money. I will not be surprised if this man makes away with the money that is supposedly meant for your wedding. And probably there he might not have paid for any accommodation.

Do you really know this man very well? Are you sure he is not a fraudster because I have seen many like that.

You should be ready to give all your money to your man if you are very sure he is in love. My problem here is based on your earlier post
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

According to the woman, it is the house that they will live together.
why shd the man now invest into what he knows that the woman is not sure of . . .

Good, then he shouldnt have proposed ( I am assuming he did). If you know she is not sure, keep your manhood to yourself. She has trust issues cos of the way he has been acting, she has a right to step back a little and review the whole thingy
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Smilenw(f): 4:54pm On May 03, 2012
OP, I've got a question for you- Let's assume your HTB decided to pay for the wedding , but comes to you saying ' baby, we need to rent a house, can u pay the rent since I'm using all my money for our wedding ? " Would you still open a thread asking 'should I help my hubby to pay OUR rent?'

A word of caution IF this marriage takes place(esp to ur HTB) - draw a pre-nup. A lot of time and energy can be saved.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by flexdee(m): 4:54pm On May 03, 2012
Nigerian women and their thinking, is there anything wrong in a woman helping her husband to be? No. I think the OP prompted the guy to made that statement "shebi you have your own money" with her selfish attitude. After all you knew what he used the large part of the funds meant for your wedding for and all you could tell him is to go and borrow money when you still have means of helping him. It's not under must that you should have an elaborate wedding, try to live within your means.

You just need to come out of your shell and put things right before it is too late. Best of luck
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On May 03, 2012
Godman_n:

After going through the comments on the earlier link. I will advice @Chinwe11 to run from this man.

I hate the mentality of the majority of the ladies here. But I strongly suspect that the guy involved here is up to games. he may not what to marry you in the first place. I suspect you have been forcing yourself on him and he is probably getting the better of you financially.

His intentions over you is all but for your money. I will not be surprised if this man makes away with the money that is supposedly meant for your wedding. And probably there he might not have paid for any accommodation.

Do you really know this man very well? Are you sure he is not a fraudster because I have seen many like that.

You should be ready to give all your money to your man if you are very sure he is in love. My problem here is based on your earlier post

I read all that was on that post, and i dont see why all she said meant that the man just wanna use her . . .
It is called cold feet and men experiences that.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 4:55pm On May 03, 2012
MegaG: [color=#990000]Are u sure that dude truly wants to spend the rest of his life with u? If you ask me i would say base on your past post, i don’t think that guy is into you. If not, why spend all his money on accommodation when he has a wedding around the corner and expects you to foot 80 whole percent of the wedding? Okay let’s look at it this way, you said his rent was meant to end in September, assuming he footed the wedding, how was he planning to pay the rent? And if i may ask, what type of accommodation would take a whole 80% of the money meant for wedding? Why didn’t he go for a 1 bedroom flat and step up when the money start rolling? I no know o! But if you ask me, i would say you should read the hand writing on the wall. That guy is not ready for now!

You have hit the nail on the head. And I am sure her "me, me, me, me myself and i" attitude is a contributory factor behind the guy's cold attitude to her for the past 4 years hence reason he keeps dodging the "together forever talk" with her.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:56pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

Good, then he shouldnt have proposed ( I am assuming he did). If you know she is not sure, keep your manhood to yourself. She has trust issues cos of the way he has been acting, she has a right to step back a little and review the whole thingy

And when he proposed, how come the woman no reject, if she has so much reservation about the man? cool
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On May 03, 2012
Busy_body:

You have hit the nail on the head. And I am sure her "me, me, me, me myself and i" attitude is a contributory factor behind the guy's cold attitude to her for the past 4 years hence reason he keeps dodging the "together forever talk" with her.

My Sister from the other man have said it all . . . FULL GBAMISTICALLY SAID
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

And when he proposed, how come the woman no reject, if she has so much reservation about the man? cool

Because she loves him and was thinking with her heart? And now she is beginning to reason with her head?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 4:58pm On May 03, 2012
That man is not ready to marry, he obviously cannot afford it. They should just go to court and sign papers. He rents a house, ehen after that nko Nobody is saying the lady should not help, but for him to fold his hands and say the woman should foot 80% of the wedding bills, haba!!!. Kilode??, that attitude, is "after all it is you that wants to get married, so foot the bill yourself" [that is the message am getting from his statement]
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by mkpologwu(m): 4:59pm On May 03, 2012
See wetin half-baked civilization turn naija marriages into! On financial matters, ladies go remind us say na we bi d men!! On house chores, they will cringe and expect us to be helpful. Like: honey ain't u taking d kids to school, honey stew is in d fridge, u can boil rice or yam, etc etc.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:59pm On May 03, 2012
Thanks ti-di wink

The truth is that, we can't get a true pic of d matter. And it seems poster is the one pressurising fiance to marry.

@Post,

Thread is turning to IBO versus Yoruba mentality. Majority of my Ibo friends will tell you they didn't come to Lagos to count bridge. Hubby must be loaded to take care of their every need.

Generally speaking, every woman wants a man that can provide for her and her kids but having a mentality of my money is my money is a NO No in marriage.

If we look closely at the trend in the society now, women hold better places than men. Wives are more financially stable than their husbands. The economy has become so harsh that wives are the ones supporting the family. I see this as an evil thing. God help our men.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

Because she loves him and was thinking with her heart? And now she is beginning to reason with her head?

Ha ha ha ha . . . But realistically, i think the woman needs to chill and just help out, and they could both go back to the drawing board and replan the wedding to fit into the 20% . . .
They could rent suit and dresses.
They could cut down on the invitees.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 5:01pm On May 03, 2012
ronkebp: That man is not ready to marry, he obviously cannot afford it. They should just go to court and sign papers. He rents a house, ehen after that nko Nobody is saying the lady should not help, but for him to fold his hands and say the woman should foot 80% of the wedding bills, haba!!!. Kilode??, that attitude, is "after all it is you that wants to get married, so foot the bill yourself" [that is the message am getting from his statement]

The man has not said the woman should foot 80% of the bill, besides, these are all the woman's side of the story . . . They could re-plan to fit their budget.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 5:01pm On May 03, 2012
mkpologwu: See wetin half-baked civilization turn naija marriages into! On financial matters, ladies go remind us say na we bi d men!! On house chores, they will cringe and expect us to be helpful. Like: honey ain't u taking d kids to school, honey stew is in d fridge, u can boil rice or yam, etc etc.

Lol
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by damas11111(m): 5:04pm On May 03, 2012
So simple a matter! You seem not to be comfortable helping out with the bill and your hubby is not bouyant enough. Then chill out! Simple as A, B, C.

While I accept that men should be fully responsible for their wedding and other stuffs, women need to show understanding and be ready to spend their money even without the man asking as long as it's for mutual benefit.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 03, 2012
ronkebp: That man is not ready to marry, he obviously cannot afford it. They should just go to court and sign papers. He rents a house, ehen after that nko Nobody is saying the lady should not help, but for him to fold his hands and say the woman should foot 80% of the wedding bills, haba!!!. Kilode??, that attitude, is "after all it is you that wants to get married, so foot the bill yourself" [that is the message am getting from his statement]

No mind am. I repeat, if something good happens in my marriage ( I don't want to be negative) I will set him back up with what i have in my account but for me to set up a fiancé or pay so much to make my marriage happen? For wetin? Na me kill obacha collect him money?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by baby4u2(f): 5:08pm On May 03, 2012
I am having a wedding here in the U.S. so let me help you here.

Firstly, look at what your spouse to be spent the money on. It was for both your benefit, not that he just went and wasted money somewhere.

Left to my finance, he knows what he can afford, and we would have been doing court marriage. But oh no, I dont want that, so we divided the paying of the vendors. Not completely equally but I tell you its almost equal. If you can't afford to pay that 80% that is left, dont have that wedding or simply do a wedding you can afford. He is not at fault here, and no one will advice you to tell him to go and borrow the money, cause that will bring serious insults to both of you.

You are not ignorant for asking this question here, but consider yourself a help meet. If you are really in love, and you can honestly afford the cost go ahead. If you feel its his role and you can't do it, dont place a burden on him to cough out money he doesnt have,cause that is the beginning of problems in your marriage going forward.One of the main causes of marital problems you see nowadays is money, dont let it define how you handle your future.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 5:11pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

No mind am. I repeat, if something good happens in my marriage ( I don't want to be negative) I will set him back up with what i have in my account but for me to set up a fiancé or pay so much to make my marriage happen? For wetin? Na me kill obacha collect him money?

Thank God say all una don marry - men of nowadays don't take this type of mentality lightly. grin
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:14pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

But Jenny, once she has agreed to marry him things are different now. Its not like she is setting him up on a biz or sponsoring his Edu. This is their wedding ceremony. And we both know that a huge chunck of the money will be spent on the bride.

I see why we have a lot of unmarried live-in couples trying to save up for their wedding. These people will end up living together for like 5-10 years without tying the knot. At the end of the day, the guy will leave and marry another girl. We've seen a lot of threads like that here. grin

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by 9lifes(m): 5:15pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

Now I know why she doesn't want to contribute that much shocked

I don dey pity the OP.I read her post..i wish them luck.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by tjdj: 5:15pm On May 03, 2012
Lets do some serious analysis of the whole situation here cos it seems some womenfolks are not too smart to understand the situation by continually saying the lady is contributing 80% which she is not,lets assume the guy initially had 100 naira for the wedding,he now expend 80 naira for the house and renovation,leaving behind 20 naira, he now request for his future partner to bail him out with 80 naira to make the wedding money 100naira back,therefore HUSBAND contributed 100 naira total (80 for house and 20 for wedding) while the WIFE contributed 80 NAIRA ONLY, how on earth did the Lady contribute more

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 03, 2012
debosky:

Thank God say all una don marry - men of nowadays don't take this type of mentality lightly. grin

Say what? Are you implying that we are old cargos married to men in their 60's? Ta lo'n je men of nowadays? grin

The man is even lucky my father did not collect bride price if not, him for cry go house. grin you have no idea the drama that happened in Nigeria just because my father offered to pay for the cow meat we planned to use. grin
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On May 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

But Jenny, once she has agreed to marry him things are different now. Its not like she is setting him up on a biz or sponsoring his Edu. This is their wedding ceremony. And we both know that a huge chunck of the money will be spent on the bride.

I see why we have a lot of unmarried live-in couples trying to save up for their wedding. These people will end up living together for like 5-10 years without tying the knot. At the end of the day, the guy will leave and marry another girl. We've seen a lot of threads like that here. grin

And if the guy does exactly that she would be the one coming here cussing the man.

OP, Delay the marriage or go and marry another person who has the money to finance your wedding simple. If you are waiting for the man to go and borrow then it wont happen
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 5:26pm On May 03, 2012
“jennykadry: A lot of men here do all sorts of odd jobs to take care of their family,”

Men need to go out there to make things happen or better for the family
But not with a woman with your type of mentality
The man need to die for the good of the family
If you have money, you will contribute as little as possible
Your husband need to read your BS and hopefully get smart
You represent evil
Wife that want her husband to work and die
Working for the family, so you can sit your fat ass home and collect his insurance money
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 5:27pm On May 03, 2012

Did you read the initial post? the man had his finances tied up, An unforseen circumstance of house about to collapse happened and he had to spend money he put aside for the wedding on getting another house for two of them.

Ok If the lady doesnt want to spend 80% on the wedding, then let her spend on the house and the man spend 100% on the wedding

Is that OK?

Or better still cancel the wedding altogether. Which is the best solution left to me
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by sexyglow(f): 5:27pm On May 03, 2012
The man is to pay for his woman's bride price(trad wedding) But if its white wedding that yu guys are talking about here I see nothing wrong in her assisting yur hubby.No insult please.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 03, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / My Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.