Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,571 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30520 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 03, 2012

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 03, 2012
A lot of men here do all sorts of odd jobs to take care of their family, if this man is looking up to a woman for finance to marry her then what happens if they become financially weak later, he is going to be looking up to his wife to feed him?

Men are carers here wiping the bums of these oldies, these are men that know their roles in the house.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 03, 2012
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 3:42pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: Debo and where did I say that how much my husband spends on me equates my love and respect? If you dont understand what I am saying then you ask rather than reaching conclusions.

This thread has been very enlightening to say the least and regardless of any surgery that you want to perform on my posts deep down in us we all know the truth.

Haba CC you know I would have married you if you didn't marry that man instead. wink

This is what you said:
You think I will respect him that much if my own bride price came from my own pocket? or he was dancing "oruka ti do wo na" on our wedding day in a suit that I paid for with my own sweat?

The way your post was phrased indicates that you would have trusted your husband LESS if he didn't do all the spending during the wedding. I'm sure you don't REALLY think that way, so maybe I've misread your true intent.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 3:42pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

The dude shouldn't marry you
Why? You are not a team player
So you want him to carry all the load by himself
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover:

And where did this woman say that she was not prepared to contribute to her wedding? It was the percentage that she was concerned about.
Maybe if we put it into monetary value then it wil make a lot more sense to you.
Lets say that the Total wedding cost 2 million Naira and she puts down N1.6 million of the total 2 million.

Let the woman tell us, if she was supportive of the man renting another place for the man and the woman to reside.
Let us assume that in a nation where you will have to pay for 2 years rent as well as pay for agency fees and other useless fees, assuming that they rent a home that is 300K a year ( Let us be moderate) and now it means the man would have paid about 700K Naira for rent.
Would it be fair for us to assume they spend like 300K to furnish the home? That makes 1M and yet the man still has 400K Naira left on the wedding . . .

Let us call such man a Champ in a nation where to make money is not easy, not to talk of saving money.

So if the lady is my sister, i will tell her to be happy.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: Jenny I totally give up.

Either they are deliberately arguing blindly or they just dont understand.

I'm off to pick up my daughter jare kiss

Awww miss beauty, watch out. I might steal that girl from you wink you know I love kids with her kind of body kiss
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Akpunwa(f): 3:46pm On May 03, 2012
OP, u should ignore anyone who advises u finance 80% of urn wedding. That's crap! Moreover with the way the guy said it, I'm smelling issues already. I'm all for contributing but then 80% is a no no!
You have two options:
A - review the budget so it comes down to u splitting the expenses from 7:3 to 6:4 with him paying the larger chunk.
B - Free yourselves from pressure and postpone the wedding.
Like CC & others said, when married it becomes our money, not before!!!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 3:46pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: A lot of men here do all sorts of odd jobs to take care of their family, if this man is looking up to a woman for finance to marry her then what happens if they become financially weak later, he is going to be looking up to his wife to feed him?

Is he looking for her to feed him in THIS CASE?? He is asking for a contribution because he had to spend money on THEIR accommodation - he is not being lazy or imprudent. How is that equivalent to looking to her to FEED HIM?

Besides, what if a situation arises that the woman earns more? Does that mean she cannot take on more financial responsibility? This type of thinking is what breaks up homes - things may be rosy today, but if things change tomorrow, let both parties have an understanding that ANY earning is jointly owned.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by stillme(m): 3:46pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

I stand to be corrected,i think it is the duties of both parent to incur wedding expenses except for few things the guy needs to do. But in a case where there are no sponsor,the fiancee should render help financially to execute the wedding plans.
If u really want to get married in August,u need to assist him. Delay is dangerous.

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 3:47pm On May 03, 2012
Honestly some women do not deserve any form of happiness in their lives.

The OP knew fully well that the husband spent his money on their house they would live and she still had the guts to tell him to go borrow? Why not tell him to sell his blood so he can get married to you.

If I were to be the husband I would call the marriage off. SIMPLE

Or another option, OP you pay for the house and let the husband pay 100% for the wedding. DEAL?

Or is there another culture that says a woman shouldnt pay for the house she and her husband would live in.

Someone has spent all his savings getting a house for you two to live and you still want him to go borrow for wedding? I wish I knew your groom.

Maybe we should ask what culture doesnt allow again. This is the first time I am hearing that a woman shouldnt contribute to her wedding. Actually in my part of the country, the woman contributes more

4 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 3:50pm On May 03, 2012
The woman is condescending - she is even putting down his contributions to get them accommodation by saying:

This attitude stinks - there is NO SENSE that she wants to contribute, but that she wants him to borrow. She is looking for everything 'ready made' and isn't ready to make any adjustment apart from getting him to go borrow!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 3:50pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: I did not contribute a dime. Some of you's need to understand that tribes play a vital role in issues like this. I am a solid Igbo girl and I guess the OP is, judging from her username. Where I come from the groom pays for everything, no shaking, if you can't afford it then you are not ready for marriage.

Selfish and me, me, me person
Men should do it all
If you are married and have great job
Hope you are contributing to the marriage

[b][/b]Men should make women contribute to their wedding
If it failed
Guess what both losers
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Konnektions146(m): 3:51pm On May 03, 2012
debosky: Some women are giving terrible advice here - if it was a woman in need of some cash and her husband to be asked her to go and BORROW (when he had the money) wouldn't you all here be shouting from the rooftops that she shouldn't marry such a stingy man?

The OP is an extremely selfish person who wants the husband to bear all the burden while she just coasts along without contributing.

The man clearly realised this selfish trait in the woman, which is why he said 'shebi you have money' to test her response, knowing she would rather tell him to go and borrow than contribute to HER OWN wedding.

God bless you slimyem for telling the truth - I absolutely abhor leeches who think they are entitled because they are women.

I completely disagree with you chaircover - the man should ask for a LOAN from his OWN wife-to-be for their OWN wedding? Absolutely ridiculous - so you think she is doing him a favour by contributing to her own wedding? Especially when the money was spent on getting a home for both of them?

With this type of attitude I'm no longer surprised when I see such women (mal)treated as mere possessions by their husbands. After all they 'paid' for everything, so they can (mis)use you as they deem fit.

If I was the groom I'd be thanking God for exposing the absolute selfishness of this leech and cancel the entire wedding immediately. Such a woman will ask you to sacrifice your life rather than her lifting a single finger.

@ OP

Don't contribute anything - just leave this good man alone for a good woman to find. Go and look for a rich mugu who is willing to marry a leech instead.
GBAM!

i wouldnt ve said it better,

@op,
change yur mentality, i just dont undastand dat in our igbo land , ladies see men as do-it-all, for God's sakes, whts de deal, heelpin out..i bet yu re de one that wants a big weddin, i cant seriously believe yu sit back dere askin dis ,
u re so selfish and unreasonable,
yu re lucky i am not yur guy, i would ve kicked yu long ago.
what arran.t r.ubbish.
yu re de man, so yu Must call me, take me out, buy me gifts, pay my rent, feed me, pocket-money me, even ATM machining for me. ...Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by swiftycool(m): 3:52pm On May 03, 2012
Op, don't borrow or give ur fiance d money ok? And let him take his time till he has more than enough saved for all these stuff maybe in about another three years when u will then be desperate.
Then maybe you can join the thousand of sensible ladies gone ahead of u in this manner and are still biting fingers & sulking becos their fiance went ahead and married a more understanding lady in a low key gig while they were hoarding their personal cash.
U better use ur sense and fashi all these culture bullshitt!

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by jason123: 3:52pm On May 03, 2012
Chinwe;

One last thing I want to let you know is that your husband to-be (if he still has any love for you) now sees you as a liability not an asset!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 03, 2012
debosky:

Is he looking for her to feed him in THIS CASE?? He is asking for a contribution because he had to spend money on THEIR accommodation - he is not being lazy or imprudent. How is that equivalent to looking to her to FEED HIM?

Besides, what if a situation arises that the woman earns more? Does that mean she cannot take on more financial responsibility? This type of thinking is what breaks up homes - things may be rosy today, but if things change tomorrow, let both parties have an understanding that ANY earning is jointly owned.

I believe He will be looking up to her to feed him. A man that opens his mouth to say "shebi you have your own money" who says that? BTW my post had a question mark at the end?

Why should a woman spend more cos she earns more? Debo ki lo de? So because I earn more I should contribute more than half? I am having trouble contributing 10% and you are talking more than half? Until he puts the ring in that finger my money is my money. You earn trust, he has to earn my trust financially first before anything wink

When they are married, the money is jointly owned but since they are still getting there, her money is hers and his money should step up the game in the wedding preparation
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Lexusgs430: 3:54pm On May 03, 2012
To start with, he is a wiseman not allowing you convince him to borrow money for (YOUR BOTH) wedding. The house that was paid for, both of you live in it, the wedding, both of you are telling your loved ones how much you love yourselves.
There is no reason why you cannot contribute towards to wedding cost and expenses.
If you have to move your wedding plans, to allow for financial stability, do it!!!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Exponental(m): 3:55pm On May 03, 2012

his shame is ur shame.......cover it. U guys shld agree.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by profola2be(m): 3:55pm On May 03, 2012
@ jennykadry, no shaking,dont worry,a guy who is ready for marriage will come for you when your're 60 years old. Shio
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On May 03, 2012
Akpunwa: OP, u should ignore anyone who advises u finance 80% of urn wedding. That's crap! Moreover with the way the guy said it, I'm smelling issues already. I'm all for contributing but then 80% is a no no!
You have two options:
A - review the budget so it comes down to u splitting the expenses from 7:3 to 6:4 with him paying the larger chunk.
B - Free yourselves from pressure and postpone the wedding.
Like CC & others said, when married it becomes our money, not before!!!

You have made a lot of sense . . . I love your 2 options given, and i dont think anyone would tell the woman to fund 80% of the wedding . .
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by awilologomba(f): 3:55pm On May 03, 2012
The wedding for d money!!!na wao.see if u don't help d guy,na u know,afterall no be 2 of una go enjoy am.if u don't give I will give him so far he's ready to marry and mess me well

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by pdpiperpippen: 3:55pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: I did not contribute a dime. Some of you's need to understand that tribes play a vital role in issues like this. I am a solid Igbo girl and I guess the OP is, judging from her username. Where I come from the groom pays for everything, no shaking, if you can't afford it then you are not ready for marriage.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 3:56pm On May 03, 2012
The guy should simply cancel the wedding.

OP, I know a guy who is willing to pay 1000% for your wedding, Just leave that guy. In the next 5 yrs you would be back with another username crying why are you not married
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by pdpiperpippen: 3:57pm On May 03, 2012
Okoro girl, no wonder your husband cheats on you. Your marriage is at the brink I'm nt just saying. I know u very well.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by debosky(m): 3:58pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

He will be looking for. A man that opens his mouth to say "shebi you have your own money" who says that? BTW my post had a question at the end?

I don't excuse his comment, but he said it likely because he knows the woman is the type who will say 'go and borrow'!

Why should a woman spend more cos she earns more? Debo ki lo de? So because I earn more I should contribute more than half? I am having trouble contributing 10% and you are talking more than half? Until he puts the ring in that finger my money is my money. You earn trust, he has to earn my trust financially first before anything wink

So he has not earned trust by footing 100% of the bill for setting up their home? Does he need to sell his left testicle to prove financial trust?

When they are married, the money is jointly owned but since they are still getting there, her money is hers and his money should step up the game in the wedding preparation

If that is the case, the woman should drop 50% of the house cost/renovation (which they will both use after marriage) so he has more money to put towards the wedding.

This greedy woman wants to have the unexpected accommodation costs paid for by the hubby AND the wedding costs all at once. Not everyone is as wealthy.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ecna: 4:00pm On May 03, 2012
Lots of naila women av dis very parasitic attitude,even d apparently educated/exposed ones.what exactly does d op want d hapless guy to do?if he wakes up 1 day and say.. 'Honey,let's postpone d wedding,. ',she'l b here moaning about him being unserious bla bla bla,after all this years bla bla

but its obvious to both parties that he simply can't do dis unaided,yet she'd rather drive him into bankruptcy than help out financially! Some wife ur about to be.I pity the guy.

U claim u love him(let me take d liberty to assume that,given d prevailing circumstances),yet this's the best u hv to offer,what if you don't love him?u'd prolly put his head on d chopping block.

Sme feckin sti.nkin a-s-5 leech

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 03, 2012
slimyem: ....at least you know what he used his own part of the money for...
Its towards both your comfort after the wedding!
If you can afford it and he's worth it,then do and stop wondering about what's okay of not!don't be SELFISH!
Or betterstill postpone the wedding until he saves up enough money for the wedding and hope he hasnt changed his mind about marrying you by that time!

I love this post very sensible. U rock.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 4:01pm On May 03, 2012
Simple solution

OP PAY 100% for the house and let the Husband pay 100% for the wedding.

How can you be hoarding money and your husband is killing himself paying for this and that.

You are a very heartless person and you don't deserve anything Good in life. Yes I said it.

I wish your husband can see this thread sef

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 4:01pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu: The guy should simply cancel the wedding.

OP, I know a guy who is willing to pay 1000% for your wedding, Just leave that guy. In the next 5 yrs you would be back with another username crying why are you not married

Take am easy now . . Haba
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Konnektions146(m): 4:02pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: I did not contribute a dime. Some of you's need to understand that tribes play a vital role in issues like this. I am a solid Igbo girl and I guess the OP is, judging from her username. Where I come from the groom pays for everything, no shaking,
if you can't afford it then you are not ready for marriage
i dont wannna looose de respect i have for u
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by kay9(m): 4:06pm On May 03, 2012
U know, i'm wondering what OP's husband would do if he saw the advices the ladies have been giving her... One even said the man has to ''prove'' that he's a man first...financially, i guess. I'm smiling in latin. smiley
-
@chaircover, i'm glad u'r happily married (never mind the 'arsenal and manchester' jibe grin ), but frankly a distilled summary of what you're saying here is no way to start a marriage. Debo and Mr.Jay have digressed enuf on it; i think i'll spare my fingers the stress.
-
@OP, u must hate my guts by now, i called u ''mgbeke'' afterall grin . Others have given you other alternatives: cut costs, postpone, etc. But i have one more thing to say: If at this time and age u still believe that the cost of a wedding/marriage should be borne by the man, so that you will ''respect'' him, then u truly ARE an ''mgbeke''.
Enough said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

NNPCL Gifts ₦200k Petrol Voucher To Lady Who Wakes Early To Cook For Her Husband / I Own You And I Can Use You 10 Times A Day - Man Tells His Wife (Video) / If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.