Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30543 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 03, 2012
I see nothing wrong with a woman who is working and has the means to help to assist - I don't even know why this warrants asking on nairaland but I guess each to their own.

What I do have a problem with is the mans attitude "sebi you have money" the reason why this is a red light to me is that my daughters father said the same thing when I asked him for money for his child (I was unemployed at the time) "sebi you have money, why are you asking me for money as if you are broke" so you see this is a mindset you have to find out if he expects you to foot all bills and carry his responsibilities on your head while he does whatever he like with his money.

I am not suggesting the posters fiance is hiding his money but the way he approached his wife to be is not it at all.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 8:57pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip: I wish all these men would be as vocal when a woman comes on here and says that her mother in law has been living with her for 3 years and its time for mama to leave. They will ask her if she is the one who married the man or if he married her. That is why this culture thing is bullshit to me. Always has and always will. If you are going to say that she should not whine then please drop the culture thing all together. Anyway it seems that they are not ready to get married. The man especially is not ready and he has been expressing it quite clearly

With the Mother in law no problem as long as your Daughter in law does exactly the same to you in the next 30yrs.

Anything you do to your MIL, May your DIl do exactly the same to you.

I wonder how many women would say Amen to this prayer
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 9:06pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

With the Mother in law no problem as long as your Daughter in law does exactly the same to you in the next 30yrs.

Anything you do to your MIL, May your DIl do exactly the same to you.

I wonder how many women would say Amen to this prayer

Evil for evil
AMEN
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by taryour(f): 9:10pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

it is totally bad to borrow money for ur wedding.. Its not by force to av a big elaborate wedding n besides lots of food will b waisted were there are some ppl out there hungry and wunt even mind eating d leftovers. Cut ur cloth accordin to ur size but if u insist on a big wedding then u shouldnt av a problem dropin d 80% of d funds if u av d money,afterall d house he got n renovated is for d both of u n ur future kids. This happens only once in a life time so no big deal in carrying d expence, marriage is abt love,so if u truely love him n want him for d rest of ur life use d funds u av n a assure u he would appreciate it n cherish u forever but that dosnt mean U SHOULD PUT IT TO HIS FACE AFTER MARRIAGE THAT AFTERALL U FOOTHED ALL D BILLS WEN U AV ARGUMENTS IN UR UNION. If u ever do such then u are shame to womanhood.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by profola2be(m): 9:10pm On May 03, 2012
so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us.
My conclusion is: you are not a wifey material.if i were your fiance,i will send you packing before you ruin my life.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by profola2be(m): 9:12pm On May 03, 2012
@ OP,My conclusion is: you are not a wifey material.if i were your fiance,i will send you packing before you ruin my life.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 9:13pm On May 03, 2012
taryour:

it is totally bad to borrow money for ur wedding.. Its not by force to av a big elaborate wedding n besides lots of food will b waisted were there are some ppl out there hungry and wunt even mind eating d leftovers. Cut ur cloth accordin to ur size but if u insist on a big wedding then u shouldnt av a problem dropin d 80% of d funds if u av d money,afterall d house he got n renovated is for d both of u n ur future kids. This happens only once in a life time so no big deal in carrying d expence, marriage is abt love,so if u truely love him n want him for d rest of ur life use d funds u av n a assure u he would appreciate it n cherish u forever but that dosnt mean U SHOULD PUT IT TO HIS FACE AFTER MARRIAGE THAT AFTERALL U FOOTHED ALL D BILLS WEN U AV ARGUMENTS IN UR UNION. If u ever do such then u are shame to womanhood.

Great comment
If you not married I pray you marry a man the will appreciate your kindness

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by otokx(m): 9:16pm On May 03, 2012
80% is too much now, he can postpone the wedding or reduce the scope.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by chuksbogus: 9:30pm On May 03, 2012
blank: Whose money will he spend before? My father's own?

I am not averse to bringing money for the running of our household. Infact, my husband and i have a joint savings account and we have the online password to our salary accounts. Still, somethings are a given. He foots majority of the bills and i spend 50% of mine on savings and then bring out some for the house. Our monthly budget has items solely for my pleasure and at my discretion and he is cool with that.

This wedding she is talking about has been planned for 2 years yet he still is not ready? Na wa o. Shebi i have money, ok o.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by odovonnestor1: 9:31pm On May 03, 2012
Going by culture the man should foot the bill for d wedding. That's d way it should be in africa culture, if he doesn't have enough he should cut to his size. Our custom demands dat a marry should take the whole responsibilty "to be a man ino easy".

That doesn't mean dat d woman should use her money in running of the family buh it must be after she has been married int the house.

But to be sincere our women ar not helping matter. Many of them ar stingy nd believe dat d man should bear evry expenses including dat of a broom in d house. Imagine a colleague told me that her wife wz sick nd he took her to d hospital. D hospital bill wz 20k nd he had only 10k wth him he had to plead wth d doctor so dat he wll bring d blanace later. To his suprise when they got home he open d hand bag d wife was carrying from hospital and saw 40k there. Buh she can't support her own hospital bill. He lamented dat d wife neva use her money to support d running of d family

May our women has a plan.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 9:39pm On May 03, 2012
odo_von_nestor: Going by culture the man should foot the bill for d wedding. That's d way it should be in africa culture, if he doesn't have enough he should cut to his size. Our custom demands dat a marry should take the whole responsibilty "to be a man ino easy".

That doesn't mean dat d woman should use her money in running of the family buh it must be after she has been married int the house.

But to be sincere our women ar not helping matter. Many of them ar stingy nd believe dat d man should bear evry expenses including dat of a broom in d house. Imagine a colleague told me that her wife wz sick nd he took her to d hospital. D hospital bill wz 20k nd he had only 10k wth him he had to plead wth d doctor so dat he wll bring d blanace later. To his suprise when they got home he open d hand bag d wife was carrying from hospital and saw 40k there. Buh she can't support her own hospital bill. He lamented dat d wife neva use her money to support d running of d family

May our women has a plan.

The reason they should contribute
Marriage is a partnership
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by balogunsam(m): 9:39pm On May 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

I didn't even see this part earlier.

Poster, I see why your hubby is beginning to give you an attitude. You should be glad you have a hubby that doesn"t wanna live beyond his means.

If he borrows, who pays it back? I will rather not put my guy under unnecessary pressure if I can bail him out. The koko is the guys mentality towards it and the understanding between you two.. As long as he is not the type that doesn't see anything wrong living off women, then you can go all out.

Like I said earlier, if you aint ready to help out, postpone the wedding till he is financially bouyant while you watch him marry another girl in a low key wedding smiley

i disliked ur comments at first but admitting d borrow part and really putting chinwe in her place that way makes me want to giv u a bear hug!
For d love of God,its a marriage!!!? A union! An end to 'my dis', 'my dat'...if at this crucial point d OP still thinks she is going to appear as a maga for helping out her wuld be husband,i'm deeply sorry for the fiance...he better run...i would!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by chuksbogus: 9:45pm On May 03, 2012
blank, u must be a bad woman is ur ar a woman. Pls the writer of this thread listen.you ar talking abt ur husband to be not ur boyfriend.this is the person u ar going to spend the greater part of ur life with.an dissapointed dat u wrote this here cos ,if am am d guy and i by chance see dis ,dat will be d end of d marriage,its not ur wedding its our wedding.listen, i was ment to travell outside nigeria in a2009 and my girl then was down,rich guys were coming for her then but she told me dat she wants us to wed before i go ,and then all d money i have was for the travell ,she sponsord d court wedding alone. Nov last year i did my church wedding.dis is a very bad start for u to have and stil asked ur hussy to go borrow.hmm u have tp ur sleevs change my dear

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by blacklion(m): 9:46pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip:

That would still be a matter of irresponsibility on the part of the tenant. Why give your money up when you know that landlords do this all the time. Like you said though there is the option of shifting the wedding forward

Its pretty obvious from the above that you don't live in Lagos/Nigeria grin
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by odovonnestor1: 9:53pm On May 03, 2012
Going by culture the man should foot the bill for d wedding. That's d way it should be in africa culture, if he doesn't have enough he should cut to his size. Our custom demands dat a marry should take the whole responsibilty of wedding "to be a man ino easy". A woman doesn't marry a man in africa, forget oyibo and there style.

May be our women has plan.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Beync(f): 10:00pm On May 03, 2012
@poster should u hesitate in assisting ur husband to be in this difficult time, how would he look @ u when things finally turns better? Except u both don't truly luv each other why should he postpone the wedding? So u can be saving ur money? For what use? What if something happen to that money tomorrow? Don't be selfish. U can suggest for low cost wedding to cut cost but u need to assist. Am not saying he have to tell u how much u must bring but u should know when ur assistance is needed and willing offer to help.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by virago(f): 10:08pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip: Okay I am still trying to understand why you rent a home and spend that kind of money to renovate it. What were the renovations he had to put into another persons property that had to compromise the funds they had set aside for the wedding

Rent , renovations and furnishing can cost from a couple of hundred thousand naira to millions in Lagos
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by blacklion(m): 10:10pm On May 03, 2012
moremi2008: Nigerian women need to think carefully about their marital expectations. You can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't demand to be treated as a partner but refuse to act like a true partner when the chips are down.

U dey mind dem? Even the most militant feminist activists in Nigeria are hypocrites when it comes to money matters in relationship/marriage.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Genius100: 10:11pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: I know that you guys don’t like it but you can’t have our cake and eat it. This is our culture & no matter how long we have lived in the Western world, we still embrace our culture. It is this same culture that doesn’t see anything wrong in a man chasing his wife out of the home with the clothes on her back; the same culture that expects the wife to totally submit and pamper her in-laws. What haven’t I seen in this section of nairaland. A wife being threatened with divorce because she hasn’t conceived in 3 months or a wife in big trouble because she served her in-laws with the wrong type of meat

A culture where the man is treated like a king, a culture that has been in place from before our great grandparents were born; so tell my what do you expect when you start changing the dynamics of relationships?

The man proposed to the woman and said please will you marry me; so how exactly did he intend to marry the woman in the first instance?

Don’t get me wrong; I am happy to put some money down, but a whopping 80%? So effectively she is paying for the whole wedding say minus a few things.

By the way, my borrowing you the money rather than just giving it to you, is actually doing you a favour. Why? Because I am saving you from your own ego. The ego that will go loopy and go into overdrive the day I decided to cook eba instead of amala and you will turn round and say “ Chinwe its not your fault o! Because you paid for the wedding abi? Any little thing will be “chinwe you are disrespecting me because you bought the suit I wore on my wedding”

You guys need to make up your minds . . . seriously. . . . . Like I said, you cant have your cake and eat it.

And as for the couple, please cut your coat according to your ankara.

What culture are you talking about? Are you not Yoruba? In Yoruba culture, the bride's family is supposed to pay for the entire wedding..
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by baby4u2(f): 10:12pm On May 03, 2012
I say again. If you have the money and can pay, do it. If you dont have the 80% he asked you to foot, reduce cost. As far as we know (from what you said oh) he doesnt have that money now. August is in less than 3 months, you better start putting your house in order. We are not going to be at your wedding.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by odovonnestor1: 10:19pm On May 03, 2012
Going by culture the man should foot the bill for d wedding. That's d way it should be in africa culture, if he doesn't have enough he should cut to his size. Our custom demands dat a marry should take the whole responsibilty of wedding "to be a man ino easy". A woman doesn't marry a man in africa, forget oyibo and there style.

May be our women has plan.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by blackborn7(m): 10:22pm On May 03, 2012
The way u sounded proof to me, u are a big liar and a termagant. People lyk u, if ur hubby was sacked from work u wil flee with all ur belongings.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by taryour(f): 10:25pm On May 03, 2012
Genius100:

What culture are you talking about? Are you not Yoruba? In Yoruba culture, the bride's family is supposed to pay for the entire wedding..

u are very correct, i am a yoruba woman and in yoruba culture its d wife dat owns d day and carry most expences (it dosnt av to b d bride spendin alone but her parents take d bigger prt except wen d parent arnt financialy bouyant den d groom comes in and help). cos its our most joyful day and our pride to b married. Mayb its a diffrent culture for d igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by amakaD: 10:37pm On May 03, 2012
It is easier to judge others so badly when we are not involved.
Going by her name, she likely comes from a culture where the man foots a greater part of the bill for the wedding.
She is concerned with contributing 80% of the bill, we don't know how much this amounts to and so should not
accuse her of wanting a fairy tale wedding.
More so, for such concerns to come up, she may have some information about the guy as regards finances that we don't have.
If the actual tone of 'shebi you have money' is true, I don't think that should be the right way to go about it.
She said the rent was due in September anyway, was there any concrete plan on ground for a new place or was he just relying on her money.

@OP, you know more than we do about the man you intend to marry and what you guys share; do not base your decisions on the opinion of others.
Personally, I see no wrong in making some contributions.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by childluck(m): 10:50pm On May 03, 2012
@OP. You place more emphasis on the wedding and not the marriage! What is actually your role as a wife to be? Are you not suppose to be supportive of your hubby? You should have offered to assist him without being asked, knowing fully well his situation. A good wife would not advise her husband to borrow for wedding and then put the marriage under heavy financial strain. Who says a wedding MUST be elaborate if you cannot comfortably afford it What is evn wrong in you SUPPORTING your hubby to finance your wedding? It is not wrong at all. He would even love you more!!! Please don't put unnecessary pressure on this guy, assist him as far as you possibly can and don't look back. Give him the money as your contribution to the wedding. He will only adore and respect you more as a wife. Godspeed!!!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by blacklion(m): 10:56pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry: I am...from ABIA STATE...

No wonder! grin wink
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by no1madman(m): 11:09pm On May 03, 2012
Typical Naija woman mentality. .fuckin dangerous!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 03, 2012
Nawo o. Am i the only one getting married
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by emmatok(m): 11:28pm On May 03, 2012
Is wedding expenses DOWRY?

@ If your man has paid your DOWRY and necessary registry documentations, you can start living as MAN and WIFE.

But what will you be using your money for, while hubby spent his money on the family.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Lordsocrates: 11:59pm On May 03, 2012
Cuteobi:
Pay for ur wedding and become his doormat tomoro.don't be surprised if he says he didn't want to marry u and u forced urself on him by takiing care of d weddin bills.nne go for wateva the 20% will get u guys and when u get the ring 'ur money can now become our money'

BE WISE!!
broz i c u jare, cant u c he invested more in d houz bkoz ur more or lez- {wat doz jack buar call it self- ?} ok lets say expendable, bkoz 2moro he can marry a second wife, and in sofar as u invested only in d marriage, he can kick u 4rm is huze, but it depends if u know dat he truely loves u, then y nt ?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 12:11am On May 04, 2012
leksiding: Nawo o. Am i the only one getting married

Lol
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by atiku07(m): 12:24am On May 04, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

Op I can say it loud and clear dat u r a very selfish woman anyway am happy ur fiancé sees such atitude in u and am very sure dat was de reason why he said "shebi u have money". Sincerly I doubt if u actually love this guy cause it seems you r all about ur own intrest of beign regarded as married woman, cause if not u will not be telling ur future husband to go borrow money to finance a wedding nawa for u o!
Honestly if I had known ur hubby to be I would advice him categorically to take a good second look @ the relationship of u both cause I don't see u making a good home. At de second tought sha u might at the same time postpone ur wedding and watch de gentle young man get married to a more reasonable lady Dan u dat same year lol infact u r getting me angry gurls will never learn mtcheew always greedy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / My Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.