Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,871 members, 7,810,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

(picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself (36706 Views)

SEE PHOTOS: Lady Gets Married To A 12yrs Old Boy / If Any Married Woman Gets Angry Over This Post, She Is On Her Own / PICTURED: Woman Gets Pregnant After Intimate With Dead Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

(picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by onila(f): 8:17pm On May 05, 2012
WOMAN gets married to herself

Nadine Schweigert says her wedding went so perfectly that it left her in awe. The bride wore a long, satiny dress in peacock blue and carried a cluster of white roses. Schweigert’s best friend stood up for her. After the ceremony, guests enjoyed white wedding cake enrobed in peacock-blue fondant and New Orleans-style king cake.

The affair was missing just one, teensy detail: a groom.

In a purely symbolic ceremony, the 36-year-old “married” herself before a crowd of 45 friends and family members Saturday at Ecce Gallery in Fargo.

During the observance, the Fargo woman read her vows: “I, Nadine, promise to enjoy inhabiting my own life and to relish a lifelong love affair with my beautifulself.” She presented herself with a ring and invited all guests to “blow kisses to the whole world” at the point of the traditional, bride-groom lip-lock.

“I’m very proud of it, and I feel very good about it,” says Schweigert, who works at Swanson’s Health and teaches yoga. “I’m so glad I did it.”

Schweigert views the secular ceremony as a public pronouncement that she has learned to love and accept herself as she is.

That hasn’t always been the case. The divorced mother of three says she struggled for years with self-acceptance, attending therapy groups and studying books like Melody Beattie’s “Codependent No More.”

“I was waiting for someone to come along and make me happy,” she says. “At some point, a friend said, ‘Why do you need someone to marry you to be happy? Marry yourself.’”

The concept is unconventional, but not unheard of. New Age websites such as Encouraging Priestess share ideas on how to perform secular, self-marriage ceremonies. And “Glee’s” own Sue Sylvester famously sported her red tracksuit to marry herself in 2010.

till, when Schweigert first mentioned the idea a year ago, she was discouraged by several female friends who thought it was weird. Disheartened, she put the idea on hold.

Months passed and Schweigert found herself lamenting the loss of a relationship. Once again, she says, the idea of her own wedding re-surfaced.

“It was just one of those things where you get an idea, and you know you just have to do it,” she says. Schweigert’s 11-year-old son also didn’t like the idea.

“Initially his response was to put his hand on my shoulder. He said, ‘I love you, but I’m embarrassed for you right now and I’m not coming,’ ” she says.

In time, her son came around and even got involved in wedding plans. He was there for her one-sided nuptials.

The majority of her friends have been more enthusiastic. Two friends baked cakes, another friend officiated and many others presented readings.

“I was discerning about who I shared it with,” she says. “Most people were very accepting and cool, because they love me and they know I’m odd by nature.”

Schweigert’s parents are “very in-the-box” people who live in Enderlin, N.D., she says. But they were “silently supportive” and presented her with a special album ofphotos for her big day.

Nadine’s mom, Charlotte Schweigert, says a self-marriage ceremony fit her daughter perfectly. “She always did her own thing. That was Nadine,” she says. “Everything in this younger generation – nothing surprises me anymore.”

Charlotte and Darrel Schweigert had never heard of this type of ceremony but attended to support their daughter.

“We just sort of watched and wanted to know what it was all about,” Charlotte says. “That’s all that counts, as long as she’s happy.”

Now, with her wedding day behind her, Schweigert did what most newlyweds do: She’s honeymooning, having left for New Orleans on Thursday.

“I’m just a unique, awesome person who doesn’t fit anyone’s mold or ideal, and I hope you’re OK with that,” she says. “And if you’re not, that’s OK, too.”
-----

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 05, 2012
i've been waiting to say this *during the honeymoon she can go f.uck herself* (wordplay 5) cool

19 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 05, 2012
Women are as fickle as anything. I bet if a guy comes along during that honeymoon, she could as well forget she was once "married"! oops!

3 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by LaParisienne(f): 8:43pm On May 05, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by slimyem: 8:45pm On May 05, 2012
pc guru: i've been waiting to say this *during the honeymoon she can go f.uck herself* (wordplay 5) cool
before nko?
cheesy
@op,dis is so abnormal but na she sabi what suits her jor!
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 05, 2012
this post deserves a forever alone meme

6 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Flashaldrin(m): 9:07pm On May 05, 2012
pc guru: i've been waiting to say this *during the honeymoon she can go f.uck herself* (wordplay 5) cool
lol!
sauer: Women are as fickle as anything. I bet if a guy comes along during that honeymoon, she could as well forget she was once "married"! oops!
word!
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by NosaHenry(m): 9:09pm On May 05, 2012
So long as she does not take rabbit and other masturbating aids with her for the honeymoon I am cool with it.
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Flashaldrin(m): 9:31pm On May 05, 2012
Nosa-Henry:
So long as she does not take rabbit and other masturbating aids with her for the honeymoon I am cool with it.
grin grin bros wetin be your own naa?? grin
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Dyt(f): 10:22pm On May 05, 2012
Atleast, she's saved frm u men
No more my guy did dis n dat
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 05, 2012
A black American woman did this years ago.
Her wedding dress was traditional but black.

This woman is a copy cat.

1 Like

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Flashaldrin(m): 10:29pm On May 05, 2012
MsDarkSkin: A black American woman did this years ago.

that someone has done it before doesnt make her a copycat, she would only be a copycat if she did it solely because someoe else did it, she had her own reasons.

2 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Flashaldrin(m): 10:30pm On May 05, 2012
Dyt: Atleast, she's saved frm u men
if being saved from men is such a good thing, what stops you from marrying yourself then. . . undecided

3 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Dyt(f): 10:33pm On May 05, 2012
N wat mks u think I v decided 2 get married huh?
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Killz3(m): 10:34pm On May 05, 2012
onila: WOMAN gets married to herself

Nadine Schweigert says her wedding went so perfectly that it left her in awe. The bride wore a long, satiny dress in peacock blue and carried a cluster of white roses. Schweigert’s best friend stood up for her. After the ceremony, guests enjoyed white wedding cake enrobed in peacock-blue fondant and New Orleans-style king cake.

The affair was missing just one, teensy detail: a groom.

In a purely symbolic ceremony, the 36-year-old “married” herself before a crowd of 45 friends and family members Saturday at Ecce Gallery in Fargo.

During the observance, the Fargo woman read her vows: “I, Nadine, promise to enjoy inhabiting my own life and to relish a lifelong love affair with my beautifulself.” She presented herself with a ring and invited all guests to “blow kisses to the whole world” at the point of the traditional, bride-groom lip-lock.

“I’m very proud of it, and I feel very good about it,” says Schweigert, who works at Swanson’s Health and teaches yoga. “I’m so glad I did it.”

Schweigert views the secular ceremony as a public pronouncement that she has learned to love and accept herself as she is.

That hasn’t always been the case. The divorced mother of three says she struggled for years with self-acceptance, attending therapy groups and studying books like Melody Beattie’s “Codependent No More.”

“I was waiting for someone to come along and make me happy,” she says. “At some point, a friend said, ‘Why do you need someone to marry you to be happy? Marry yourself.’”

The concept is unconventional, but not unheard of. New Age websites such as Encouraging Priestess share ideas on how to perform secular, self-marriage ceremonies. And “Glee’s” own Sue Sylvester famously sported her red tracksuit to marry herself in 2010.

till, when Schweigert first mentioned the idea a year ago, she was discouraged by several female friends who thought it was weird. Disheartened, she put the idea on hold.

Months passed and Schweigert found herself lamenting the loss of a relationship. Once again, she says, the idea of her own wedding re-surfaced.

“It was just one of those things where you get an idea, and you know you just have to do it,” she says. Schweigert’s 11-year-old son also didn’t like the idea.

“Initially his response was to put his hand on my shoulder. He said, ‘I love you, but I’m embarrassed for you right now and I’m not coming,’ ” she says.

In time, her son came around and even got involved in wedding plans. He was there for her one-sided nuptials.

The majority of her friends have been more enthusiastic. Two friends baked cakes, another friend officiated and many others presented readings.

“I was discerning about who I shared it with,” she says. “Most people were very accepting and cool, because they love me and they know I’m odd by nature.”

Schweigert’s parents are “very in-the-box” people who live in Enderlin, N.D., she says. But they were “silently supportive” and presented her with a special album ofphotos for her big day.

Nadine’s mom, Charlotte Schweigert, says a self-marriage ceremony fit her daughter perfectly. “She always did her own thing. That was Nadine,” she says. “Everything in this younger generation – nothing surprises me anymore.”

Charlotte and Darrel Schweigert had never heard of this type of ceremony but attended to support their daughter.

“We just sort of watched and wanted to know what it was all about,” Charlotte says. “That’s all that counts, as long as she’s happy.”

Now, with her wedding day behind her, Schweigert did what most newlyweds do: She’s honeymooning, having left for New Orleans on Thursday.

“I’m just a unique, awesome person who doesn’t fit anyone’s mold or ideal, and I hope you’re OK with that,” she says. “And if you’re not, that’s OK, too.”
-----
Hold up! Why wasn't this woman admitted into a psychiatric home? This is psychosis in it's elemental stages. I hope they don't regret it later though. . . A stitch in time mehn. . .

2 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Flashaldrin(m): 10:41pm On May 05, 2012
Dyt: N wat mks u think I v decided 2 get married huh?
cos you've been dating countless men, wrong?? Waiting for the one that would propose lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by agb2011(f): 10:54pm On May 05, 2012
tongue Yeah whatever! just like Whitney sang, learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all. go girl
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 05, 2012
MsDarkSkin: A black American woman did this years ago.

Soon we'l have one million and one other copy cats following suit. grin
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 05, 2012
~Killz~:

Hold up! Why wasn't this woman admitted into a psychiatric home? This is psychosis in it's elemental stages. I hope they don't regret it later though. . . A stitch in time mehn. . .

She will!

When she comes back later to file a DIVORCE wink

2 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by DukeNija(m): 11:20pm On May 05, 2012
Spirit Husband. Lmao
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 05, 2012
agb2011:
tongue Yeah whatever! just like Whitney sang, learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all. go girl
are u suffering from inferiority complex? Why is it that people like u always see bad things as been right? Do u think you would get an Award? Personally, i know ONILA is working twice as hard to become a single mother. So baby girl, don't tread on Onila's path and you would do just fine ok sweetiehoneypiecandayjuicytomatovanilapotato
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by PapaCrotch: 12:59am On May 06, 2012
That is the irony, not all women are going to marry with the way the world is nowadays. It won't be a curse to say majority of nl romance section women will end up alone in life with the extent they stay online, they appear unserious and unambitious. In the modern world, no man wants a liability or lazy woman who spends her whole time on the computer but the men can use them like rags because most nl romance section women are useless. una no go bath, brush teeth clean house you would just jump online when you wake up till when you sleep talking about romance, gossiping and e-fighting. where man wan comot from? your pc, make una keep deceiving yourselves online don't go and use your times wisely. Anyway na here we go dey when 5 years from now na had i known and regrets we would be hearing. Jobless cyber obsessed inferior nut cases, spend your time productively.

3 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by onila(f): 2:07am On May 06, 2012
Papa Crotch: That is the irony, not all women are going to marry with the way the world is nowadays. It won't be a curse to say majority of nl romance section women will end up alone in life with the extent they stay online, they appear unserious and unambitious. In the modern world, no man wants a liability or lazy woman who spends her whole time on the computer but the men can use them like rags because most nl romance section women are useless. una no go bath, brush teeth clean house you would just jump online when you wake up till when you sleep talking about romance, gossiping and e-fighting. where man wan comot from? your pc, make una keep deceiving yourselves online don't go and use your times wisely. Anyway na here we go dey when 5 years from now na had i known and regrets we would be hearing. Jobless cyber obsessed inferior nut cases, spend your time productively.

what an idi-ot! fuking mo-ron

1 Like

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by bittyend(m): 2:21am On May 06, 2012
@onila

Are you planning to do the same thing?
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 2:56am On May 06, 2012
Im not sure what to make of this story.People are such funny creatures.The things we do to get through this life! cheesy
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 2:57am On May 06, 2012
Good one, she will forever be happy. No one to break her heart, nobody to look after, no one to explain to, no one to have sex with compulsorily, no hustle of pregnancy childbirth, or kids, no one to pleased in sort she only has herself to make happy.

Well done woman. For opening this great avenue to this truly absurd, and dumb refreshing ideal of yours.

People as I know them to be will now start following ur footstep.
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by PapaCrotch: 3:48am On May 06, 2012
onila:

what an idi-ot! fuking mo-ron

is that day name you called him after he disvirgined u and left u out in d cold? it must be painful dt he left u to an offline decent girl who spends her time resourcefully and makes more money than you. Not to worry you might get a another fu=ck mate on nl, since your wife material and holy lifestyle is lived online. we need to be free of you abandoned traits on nl romance section!

1 Like

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by 190: 7:44am On May 06, 2012
Papa Crotch: That is the irony, not all women are going to marry with the way the world is nowadays. It won't be a curse to say majority of nl romance section women will end up alone in life with the extent they stay online, they appear unserious and unambitious. In the modern world, no man wants a liability or lazy woman who spends her whole time on the computer but the men can use them like rags because most nl romance section women are useless. una no go bath, brush teeth clean house you would just jump online when you wake up till when you sleep talking about romance, gossiping and e-fighting. where man wan comot from? your pc, make una keep deceiving yourselves online don't go and use your times wisely. Anyway na here we go dey when 5 years from now na had i known and regrets we would be hearing. Jobless cyber obsessed inferior nut cases, spend your time productively.

ROTFLMFAOOO!! grin grin
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Dyt(f): 7:50am On May 06, 2012
Flashaldrin:
cos you've been dating countless men, wrong?? Waiting for the one that would propose lipsrsealed

Ur tots r wrong dis tym youngman
Giggles
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 8:05am On May 06, 2012
okay am going to put the nail in the coffin i hate this notion of sexism everywhere, first of all a woman or man marrying themselves is psychosis,thanks sexkillz
Dyt: Atleast, she's saved frm u men
also i consider this statement sexist and generalizing, if you pick a man that's beats you or cheat on you its your fault, because you know the person you're getting involved with, you think men are the only ones responsible for breaking up a relationship, its both ways, so pls talk with facts, yes this woman needs help all you female complaining about guys are this and that, there are actually very nice and caring guys out there, but no women wants to date pple like that, why ? no mystery,too predictable, too boring, at least it beats the heartache and black eye, i think most of you women on NL are either kids or confused here, you think you know what you want, don't get it twisted there are nice and responsible men out there don't follow your heart follow your head, so that in future we don't have to be discussing your marriage issues here. thank you a lot. and also stop sexism and Generalizing its very annoying to be in a group because of one small girl's misfortune. wink

2 Likes

Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Dyt(f): 8:42am On May 06, 2012
Hehehhehehehe
Na me u dey preach men/women issue 2?
I v bn in both sir
I jst made comments one of d excuses she ll cm up
Even a saint gives headache
Re: (picture) WOMAN Gets Married To Herself by Nobody: 8:56am On May 06, 2012
Gud 4 her#smh#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Men: How Do You Handle An Aggressive Woman? / Why Do Men Takes Good Girls For Granted / You Love Someone So Much, But You Have To Let Him/Her Go!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.