Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,997 members, 7,814,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

What They Don't Tell You About Atheism - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What They Don't Tell You About Atheism (18401 Views)

Since I've Joined Nairaland,what I've Learned About Atheism / Apatheist, Let's Talk About Atheism. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 12:12am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: Ok so I've been away for sometime now and I have seen some interesting replies most of them I must confess are fallacies. Unfortunately I may not answer to all questions rather I'll highlight a few places where we misunderstand each other then I will proceed to make my case (hopefully a lot clearer so we all can understand)

for instance, martian keeps trying to draw me into a "battle of the gods" matter that I really don't want to get into at this point. Kay17 and logicboy mistakenly assume (or at least that's how it looks to me) that I have simply inserted a god in the theories of another amongst other things. Jenwitemi and cyrexx seem to be saying that nobody knows for sure hence I cannot possibly claim to be right, jagunlabi argues morals and hisblud and idehn show support each to his own. All is well.
I must admit on reading through the posts that perhaps I have not made myself clear enough however I still haven't seen anyone fault my logic yet or prove me wrong, maybe it is too unclear to even bother I don't know.

To make it a lot less complex, I will break down my argument into progressive steps so that so that it is easy to follow and make for clearer refutation, we shall start on a clean slate and only treat one step at a time before moving on to the next. If you are willing, I would rather we argued for truth and not for bragging rights. Remember the reason for "God" in the first place arises from the question "Why am I here i.e. what is the purpose for existence?"

Anyway, all that aside here is Step 1

From what we know, every effect has a cause, our reality can be described as a series of causes and effects. We know, the Universe has a definite beginning hence it must have been caused.

Do you agree with this statement? If yes we continue to Step 2. If no please tell us why you disagree and what you consider an alternate more accurate statement. (please limit your response to the statement for now abeg!)

You are quite insane. You are suffering from an early stage of delusional thinking. You points were decimated and now you claim that all the atheists that debunk you were making fallacious statements? Wow!

As for your question on the cause of the universe, here is an answer that I gave earlier that you ignored as usual that says no;

-
The existence of the universe as a whole does not require a causal explanation. All causality presupposes the existence of something that acts as a cause. To demand a cause for all of existence is to demand a contradiction: if the cause exists, it is part of the existence; if it does not exist, it cannot be a cause
e.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 5:26am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

You are quite insane. You are suffering from an early stage of delusional thinking. You points were decimated and now you claim that all the atheists that debunk you were making fallacious statements? Wow!

As for your question on the cause of the universe, here is an answer that I gave earlier that you ignored as usual that says no;

-e.

The existence of the universe as a whole does not require a causal explanation. All causality presupposes the existence of something that acts as a cause. To demand a cause for all of existence is to demand a contradiction: if the cause exists, it is part of the existence; if it does not exist, it cannot be a cause

Skip the insults Mr Militant, If I understand you, Are you saying that;
(a)the universe does not have a definite origin or
(b)the universe came from nothing or
(c)both?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by cyrexx: 7:01am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: If you are willing, I would rather we argued for truth and not for bragging rights.

from what you just wrote it seems that "your truth" is anything that agrees with your religion's statement that in the beginning Yahweh created heavens and the earth is the truth. any other thing that contradicts this statement is "not the truth". with that strong bias no contradicting logical proofs or empirical evidence will make sense to you. no matter how clear or logical it is explained to you. and that is the problem with religion

Mr_Anony:

From what we know , every effect has a cause, our reality can be described as a series of causes and effects. We know, the Universe has a definite beginning hence it must have been caused.

what informed your knowledge. is it religious faith or logical reasoning. is this stated in the bible like this or you worked Gen 1:1 to mean this.

Mr_Anony:

From what we know, every effect has a cause, our reality can be described as a series of causes and effects. We know, the Universe has a definite beginning hence it must have been caused.

Do you agree with this statement? If yes we continue to Step 2. If no please tell us why you disagree and what you consider an alternate more accurate statement. (please limit your response to the statement for now abeg!)

1. if the statement is true: then everything in existence requires a cause. then if god is in existence he must of necessity require a cause or else he is not in existence. dont tell me he is uncaused. if you can believe EVERYTHING IN EXISTENCE IS CAUSED, why did you leave only god out. except of course maybe because god is not in existence. and if god requires a cause the cause too require a cause on and on and on. i hope you will see the fallacy of your your argument and your religious bias will not get in the way of clear logical thinking

2. if the statement is false: i.e. the universe has NO definite beginning hence it must have NO cause. that is, IT IS UNCAUSED, it has always been and it will continue to be, then you dont need to invoke god as the creator in this case.this agrees with the scientific law that states that matter is neither created nor destroyed, but only changes from one form to another

for what we know each of these proposition may be true. but what is definitely NOT true is inserting Yahweh (or any other competing gods from different religions) as the cause of a scientific proposition that their holy book talks nothing about

by the way how come scientific books gives more accurate description of the universe than a book written by an omniscient author.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2012
@Cyrexx, thanks for responding but then from your answer, you have not as yet taken a stance so it makes it difficult to debate. For the purpose of simplicity I have decided to go back to the very beginning of my argument: without assuming anything i.e. whether God exists or not (I assure you there will be plenty of time to debate that as we move along)

For now, all we have before us is a universe, how did it come to be? Was it caused or not? I say it must have been caused. If you agree we move on to step 2, if not, you will be saying that it came from nothing (you will then have to explain how something comes from nothing). If you say we don't know and we cannot know then there really isn't any basis to having a debate and you cannot possibly say with any certainty that anything exists or not.

All that aside, where do you stand exactly? Was the universe caused? Does it have a definite origin?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 8:23am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: To make it a lot less complex, I will break down my argument into progressive steps so that so that it is easy to follow and make for clearer refutation, we shall start on a clean slate and only treat one step at a time before moving on to the next. If you are willing, I would rather we argued for truth and not for bragging rights. Remember the reason for "God" in the first place arises from the question "Why am I here i.e. what is the purpose for existence?"

Anyway, all that aside here is Step 1

The Causal relationship can only function within a framework such as the universe with the texture of time. So if time began with the universe, how CAN there be a "before". Just consider it
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by cyrexx: 8:37am On May 31, 2012
@ anony
ok i take the stand that the universe is caused and lets continue from there.

but i must add that you are being unfair in this debate, you virtually ignore almost all of my propositions that are very germane to this debate and you expect people to respond to all your propositions
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 9:26am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Cyrexx, thanks for responding but then from your answer, you have not as yet taken a stance so it makes it difficult to debate. For the purpose of simplicity I have decided to go back to the very beginning of my argument: without assuming anything i.e. whether God exists or not (I assure you there will be plenty of time to debate that as we move along)

For now, all we have before us is a universe, how did it come to be? Was it caused or not? I say it must have been caused. If you agree we move on to step 2, if not, you will be saying that it came from nothing (you will then have to explain how something comes from nothing). If you say we don't know and we cannot know then there really isn't any basis to having a debate and you cannot possibly say with any certainty that anything exists or not.

All that aside, where do you stand exactly? Was the universe caused? Does it have a definite origin?

Don't you read what ppl post?!

He just said everything can't be caused, consequently what determines an effect and how the universe fits such a test becomes the next question!
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:05am On May 31, 2012
Kay 17:

The Causal relationship can only function within a framework such as the universe with the texture of time. So if time began with the universe, how CAN there be a "before". Just consider it

Kay17, I follow your logic, within the limits of time there cannot be a "before time". But if we say that time and space has an origin, then there must be a cause for time and space to exist. remember that time is a dimension like space as measured by light (reference einstein's theory of relativity). hence it is possible to have properties beyond this dimension. I dare say it is only for the sake of simplicity of language that we say "before time".
Time here is not necessarily a sequence but a dimension
However that's by the way.
I would still like you to state where you stand, does the universe have an origin? was the universe caused?

cyrexx: @ anony
ok i take the stand that the universe is caused and lets continue from there.

but i must add that you are being unfair in this debate, you virtually ignore almost all of my propositions that are very germane to this debate and you expect people to respond to all your propositions

I do not think I am being unfair at all, I am not ignoring your propositions, I will give an answer as we move along, all I want to to do now is to build my argument in steps so that you can refute it properly without jumping into the middle and attacking positions that I do not necessarily hold. Each step has to rely on the truth of the preceding step. If at any point you feel that the step is wrong and doesn't follow from the preceding step, please point it out. besides, saying the universe is caused, does not automatically declare God.

Now that brings us to step 2:
Since everything has a cause including the universe, if we trace back through a line of subsequent causes and effects, we must come to a point where we must acknowledge a first member of the series i.e. a first cause. To qualify as first cause, the first cause must be (1)uncaused (2)infinite*

If you agree up to this point, we move on to step 3. I you don't agree then please give an alternate statement as to why it doesn't follow from step 1 (note: to dispute step 2 means that you agree that step 1 is true but that step 2 doesn't logically follow step 1. If you don't agree with step 1, please first prove it wrong first and then you wouldn't need to bother about step 2)
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:19am On May 31, 2012
Kay 17:

Don't you read what ppl post?!

He just said everything can't be caused, consequently what determines an effect and how the universe fits such a test becomes the next question!

If he said that everything can't be caused then that would mean that some things are caused and others aren't hence there would be no need to argue if God exists or not because I claim God is uncaused and you can't possibly ask me to give reasons for God. This will also imply that scientific reasoning is flawed since science is about finding the cause of everything that is observed. In fact saying the universe can't be caused is as much a faith claim as any. Just for the record he made "if and may" statements to which I had to ask him to take a stand so I know which way to argue
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 10:43am On May 31, 2012
@anony

You can move on two step3.4,5 and 10 if you want but at the end of the day, no one knows why the universe exists, or what caused it. The only thing we theorize is the big b@ng, and you wouldn't even know about that if not for physicists. They don't pretend to know what caused the big b@ng but at least they are trying by coming up with string theory, m theory and others to try to explain it. Just give it a rest already because you causeless cause is just a figment of your imagination borne out religious convictions about your god.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 10:47am On May 31, 2012
Martian: @anony

You can move on two step3.4,5 and 10 if you want but at the end of the day, no one knows why the universe exists, or what caused it. The only thing we theorize is the big b@ng, and you wouldn't even know about that if not for physicists. They don't pretend to know what caused the big b@ng but at least they are trying by coming up with string theory, m theory and others to try to explain it. Just give it a rest already because you causeless cause is just a figment of your imagination borne out religious convictions about your god.

You are wasting your time. The guy has ignored posts debunking his position. What kind of science leads you to an uncaused first cause?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:49am On May 31, 2012
Martian: @anony

lol, Martian, Now I have removed the strawmen* there remains nothing left for you to shoot at. All the same, thanks for stopping by.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:55am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

You are wasting your time. The guy has ignored posts debunking his position. What kind of science leads you to an uncaused first cause?

My friend logicboy, science is simply a method for reasoning and not a political movement*. I have not ignored posts, I only call for you to refute my argument properly which no one has done yet. I have broken it down in steps so it can be followed easily and hence more easily refuted.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 10:57am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol, Martian, Now I have removed the strawmen there remains nothing left for you to shoot at. All the same, thanks for stopping by.

What strawmen? You never explained what god is, but you want to make it the cause of the big b@ng. You never had an argument.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:58am On May 31, 2012
Martian:

What strawmen? You never explained what god is, but you want to make it the cause of the big b@ng. You never had an argument.

Then please follow my logic and prove it wrong, start from step 1
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 10:59am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
My friend logicboy, science is simply a method for reasoning and not a political movement*. I have not ignored posts, I only call for you to refute my argument properly which no one has done yet. I have broken it down in steps so it can be followed easily and hence more easily refuted.

You're delusional. Your arguments never held no weight and they have been shown to be fallacies by different posters.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 11:01am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Then please follow my logic and prove it wrong, start from step 1

Step 1 is nobody knows the cause or causes. Step 2 is using the tools of science to try know. Step 3 is don't make stuff up.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 11:01am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Huh? When did I say that science is a political movement?

Your first step is a fallacy. There is no uncaused cause because;

-The existence of the universe as a whole does not require a causal explanation. All causality presupposes the existence of something that acts as a cause. To demand a cause for all of existence is to demand a contradiction: if the cause exists, it is part of the existence; if it does not exist, it cannot be a cause
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2012
Martian:

You're delusional. Your arguments never held no weight and they have been shown to be fallacies by different posters.

please start from step 1.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 11:04am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:
-The existence of the universe as a whole does not require a causal explanation. All causality presupposes the existence of something that acts as a cause. To demand a cause for all of existence is to demand a contradiction: if the cause exists, it is part of the existence; if it does not exist, it cannot be a cause

You are doing the same thing anony is doing. Making stuff up. If a cause exists, you don't know.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:05am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

And to that I say: How then would you explain the existence of the universe?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 11:06am On May 31, 2012
Martian:

You are doing the same thing anony is doing. Making stuff up. If a cause exists, you don't know.

Huh? Have you also gone delusional from Mr Anony's posts? Where in that comment did I claim to know the cause of the universe?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 11:06am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

And to that I say: How then would you explain the existence of the universe?

Big bang.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 11:07am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
please start from step 1.

Here was the answer to your step one.
Martian:
Please, If you're not familiar with a theory, you need to leave it out of your argument. You misunderstand the big b@ng, then you introduce a first cause that's "extraphysical" which you admit is "very difficult to explain using physical terms"...................Why should anyone discuss a concept you can't even give a coherent explanmation for?

The bolded.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 11:09am On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

If he said that everything can't be caused then that would mean that some things are caused and others aren't hence there would be no need to argue if God exists or not because I claim God is uncaused and you can't possibly ask me to give reasons for God. This will also imply that scientific reasoning is flawed since science is about finding the cause of everything that is observed. In fact saying the universe can't be caused is as much a faith claim as any. Just for the record he made "if and may" statements to which I had to ask him to take a stand so I know which way to argue

Standing on a premise that everything has a cause and yet making a conclusion that your god is uncaused is invalid! It can't stand. If you find the premise absurd, because of an uncaused god, then dismiss it.

I'm not aware of any scientific foundational assumption that everything has a cause!
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:09am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Big bang.

And you believe the big bang just happened because of nothing?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by cyrexx: 11:10am On May 31, 2012
@ anony
i like to think clearly and logically without confustion so i will list your first two steps here.

Step 1
Every effect has a cause, our reality can be described as a series of causes and effects. We know, the Universe has a definite beginning hence it must have been caused.

Step 2:
Since everything has a cause including the universe, if we trace back through a line of subsequent causes and effects, we must come to a point where we must acknowledge a first member of the series i.e. a first cause. To qualify as first cause, the first cause must be (1)uncaused (2)infinite*

now your second step has this fallacy: who said you must all of a sudden come to a convenient stopping point where we must acknowledge a first cause that is uncaused and infinite. on what premise is that based on. Logically, the same premise that proposes that an effect must have a cause also logically proposes by extension that the cause must have another cause on and on and on till infinity. you cannot just pick a religiouslyconvenient spot to terminate the cause-effect reasoning. if there must be a cause for every effect, then THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A CAUSE FOR EVERY EFFECT NON-STOP.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 11:11am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

This compelling logic!
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:12am On May 31, 2012
Martian:

Here was the answer to your step one.

The bolded.

funny enough, step 1 does not mention a big bang. This is step 1.

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 11:12am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:
Huh? Have you also gone delusional from Mr Anony's posts? Where in that comment did I claim to know the cause of the universe?

Before you call me delusional, look at what you wrote.

logicboy:

You definitely don't know enough to say that and the people you got the concept of the big b@ng from don't even make statements like that. So what's your explanation?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 11:13am On May 31, 2012
post twice
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 11:14am On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

No one really knows what happened before the big bang.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Did Joseph Prince Really Say This? / God Asked Me To Retire, Says Pope Benedict XVI / Mildred Okonkwo: You Can't Be Angry At Pastors Flying Jets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.