Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (971662 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Leopantro: 7:11pm On May 22, 2013
Here we go...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by shosky1794: 7:22pm On May 22, 2013
..............He even said he's going to keep 'yabbing' anybody he deems fit. My take on that is that he should keep at it. I'm sure that won't add to him nor increase his knowledge.
I don't know what's wrong with us in this country. You've not been able to create a common app(or if you've done, what's its acceptance among your own people) and you
come here abusing people because they use a particular phone brand. Nigerians ehn........

2 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 22, 2013
Leopantro: Here we go...

o boy.... sad
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Toroze(m): 7:59pm On May 22, 2013
As in Since i joined nairaland my vocabulary has increased due to the ^^^^
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Damma(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2013
would dey cause gbege 4 here...Flower abi ....issorai...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by newman10(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2013
Leopantro: With all my tinkering with android files I have never come across that extension before. That its in your external SD card,it keeps re-occuring and is a folder not a file makes it more suspicious. It seems more like a PC virus than an android virus but what I find odd is this: PC viruses that get into memory cards of android phones can't replicate. My guess is there are more components of the virus hidden somewhere in your phone.
Copy out the essential files and apk. Back up only the contacts and your messages then format the memory card and do a factory reset of the phone for good measure.
By the way, did you connect your phone to a windows XP or vista computer?

My pc is windows 7 and I virtually charge the phone everyday with it. I also have Norton internet security and antivirus installed on the pc. So how will a virus get in? I will however do a factory reset sha
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by viruz007(m): 8:51pm On May 22, 2013
shosky1794:

Thank you for all the 'jargons'. Some of us would have wanted those in simple English. Also,it'll be really nice if you prove some of those things you said. Just because a company does advertise it's products does not mean it sells fake products.I'm sure Google(GOOG) is fully present in Africa and they can't claim not to know of what you said(not with the popularity Tecno is gaining in the African Market now).

The advertisements(coupled with distribution) are some of the overheads which make phones from these big manufacturers expensive. This was confirm by the CEO of BLU, a phone manufacturer in the US. By the way, I'll like you check out the just released range of Android devices from BLU at amazingly cheap prices on sales (without contract) on AMAZON. They are even cheaper than Tecno if we are to do a direct comparison. I'm sure if those phones were to be from Tecno or available in Nigeria, you will give them all sort of names.

All I'm saying is if only we can learn from a company like Tecno, Infinix, etc then we won't just a consuming nation and a dumping ground like you've said.

Apparently i view this thread as a bench warmer and appreciate the efforts by some posters here and as i can see some people are just being the Nigerians we are. Typically.

Dude y so funny? Because android is open source, some dude decides to arrange a phone for you and install the OS and gives you at lower price and u r making noise? From what i know tecno has it's own thread where fellow users share their problems and challenges. But where u bring ur device to compare with mine and say crap about mine, i will not take it kindly with you because i know the sacrifice made to get my device. If you feel what you got is best for you then so be it but do not come and start claiming one thing or the other angry. No wonder some people tweet dat BIS should have still be 5k at least BB would have been sanitized a bit angry. Maybe if android decided to be like iOS we won't be having this convo. Still love android open though grin

Your OEM does not provide support for you. Many of your devices OSes are not upgrade-able hence the fragmentation in the android ecosystem. Your devices cannot support some apps because of hardware or software limitations and someone else sees that and does not want that limitation and you are entering him saying he or she is employing a caste system? Geez. Dude enjoy your tecno and let us enjoy whatever devices we deem fit to use be it from huawei to samsung to htc. If i ask if your device can support apps such as Google Now, Google Chrome, the new Maps, Facebook Home etc, your answer will be NO simply because your device does not have recognizable support or the hardware can't support the framework the app was built on.

This thread is to serve all android users and not to compare and contrast. If you can't find a solution here esp @ Tecno users, then go to una thread shikena.

My 2 cents cool *retires back to bench with my cold bottle of Snapps*

2 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 9:09pm On May 22, 2013
it's quite simple.
the issues with tecno are so much that they own a thread grin

asking why A doesn't run on techno or why B is happening here doesn't make much sense as there's already a "TECNO thread" with "TECNO experts". most of us folks here are unfamiliar with some of those issues.

a black man walking into a group of non racist individuals and starts talking about how the black race is superior to "White Racists". That's who that fella is

*goes back to sorting the pictures in this twitter trend*
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 22, 2013
ciphoenix:
a black man walking into a group of non racist individuals and starts talking about how the black race are superior to "White Racists". That's who that fella is

If only I can send you an e-malt
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 9:23pm On May 22, 2013
joeydozzy:

If only I can send you an e-malt

i no run o, DHL dey deliver bottles too grin grin grin
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by shosky1794: 10:12pm On May 22, 2013
viruz007:

Apparently i view this thread as a bench warmer and appreciate the efforts by some posters here and as i can see some people are just being the Nigerians we are. Typically.

Dude y so funny? Because android is open source, some dude decides to arrange a phone for you and install the OS and gives you at lower price and u r making noise? From what i know tecno has it's own thread where fellow users share their problems and challenges. But where u bring ur device to compare with mine and say crap about mine, i will not take it kindly with you because i know the sacrifice made to get my device. If you feel what you got is best for you then so be it but do not come and start claiming one thing or the other angry. No wonder some people tweet dat BIS should have still be 5k at least BB would have been sanitized a bit angry. Maybe if android decided to be like iOS we won't be having this convo. Still love android open though grin

Your OEM does not provide support for you. Many of your devices OSes are not upgrade-able hence the fragmentation in the android ecosystem. Your devices cannot support some apps because of hardware or software limitations and someone else sees that and does not want that limitation and you are entering him saying he or she is employing a caste system? Geez. Dude enjoy your tecno and let us enjoy whatever devices we deem fit to use be it from huawei to samsung to htc. If i ask if your device can support apps such as Google Now, Google Chrome, the new Maps, Facebook Home etc, your answer will be NO simply because your device does not have recognizable support or the hardware can't support the framework the app was built on.

This thread is to serve all android users and not to compare and contrast. If you can't find a solution here esp @ Tecno users, then go to una thread shikena.

My 2 cents cool *retires back to bench with my cold bottle of Snapps*

My brother, you don't need to contradict yourself. If truely the thread is to serve all Android users then why do you have to pick on a particular phone model with all these your negative comments that not backed by facts. I also think you guys should addressing issues. From your post here, I can see you don't much (I apologise if that's insulting). I don't know much myself but I want us to be objective in any of our discuss.
I raised some issues in the post you quoted which I don't think you were able to address.

Let's address the issue and leave out the person. The Chinese stopped worshipping the West at some point which is what we still do. That's why the West now buy Chinese too. That's what this so called Tecno is showing us (learn from the Chinese and this your Western infested attitude). It's only for a greater Nigeria and nothing else.

By the way, those apps you talked about work well on Tecno devices. Do your findings well.

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Damma(m): 10:22pm On May 22, 2013
HTC,Samsung users dey vex say dem spend huge amount of $ to buy phone wey dey use same OS with crappy phones....Make Una go fflw Una PhoneMakers fight Now...Tecno users make Una too chill,at least Una self son dey play temple run wey sum pple use huge amount of money buy fone cos of.......B4 u jump into conclusion I use an HTC evo design 4g.....* quietly watching from an angle and sipping ogidiga*

3 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Tajsagay(m): 3:20am On May 23, 2013
does 512mb ram make sense on a device running jelly bean
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by seunpayne(m): 7:12am On May 23, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You got to be kidding. Swap Xperia GO for SGS3? On what basis?

be nice!! I said I was gonna add money abi? please act right...

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by seunpayne(m): 7:16am On May 23, 2013
honsule: Am not Impress one bit with the specs of the xperia go i saw online.**Honsule whistle and walks away**

Didn't ask you to be impressed. I want to sell it and add money to buy the s3. Is that possible? Or better yet how much is your s3 lemme just buy it straight. its just that I don't want to have two phones. Will ptobably sell it later. so...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Leopantro: 8:50am On May 23, 2013
Tajsagay: does 512mb ram make sense on a device running jelly bean

Capital no
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by viroblaze: 8:50am On May 23, 2013
Those trying to compare techno with any of the Android models need to have their brain examined... Techno was created as an alternative for those who cannot afford other high end android phones but wanna have the taste of android...That explains the price drop in their products and the stagnation of their aosp roms.. Techno is what I call "thought of android"
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by viruz007(m): 9:03am On May 23, 2013
viroblaze: Those trying to compare techno with any of the Android models need to have their brain examined... Techno was created as an alternative for those who cannot afford other high end android phones but wanna have the taste of android...That explains the price drop in their products and the stagnation of their aosp roms.. Techno is what I call "thought of android"

I still tire for them.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 10:47am On May 23, 2013
shosky1794:

Let's address the issue and leave out the person. The Chinese stopped worshipping the West at some point which is what we still do. That's why the West now buy Chinese too. That's what this so called Tecno is showing us (learn from the Chinese and this your Western infested attitude). It's only for a greater Nigeria and nothing else.

By the way, those apps you talked about work well on Tecno devices. Do your findings well.

This is not about 'worshipping the West'. The Tecno phones you folks laud and worship are cheap with flimsy build quality, low resolution LCD screens with average viewing angles, low end components and meager RAM. They are COMPROMISE devices, entry level phones for Android newbies or folks on a budget.
Please do not bill this as 'Chinese worshipping the West'. That is an essentially moronic point of view when one considers that the company that sells the most smartphones in the world is not a Western company (Samsung). Even back in the days when HTC was still a major force, they made up a large chunk of Windows Mobile and Android sales...and they aren't western companies.

Not everything 'Chinese' is low quality. Lenovo makes phones with cheap components too for the budget market, but they make use of the cream of the crop of the cheap components. Months after the release of the Quad core Mediatek MTK6589 Quad Core SoC (quad core Cortex A7, paired with a very good SGX 544 GPU), there is no single Tecno phone model in Nigeria running this chipset...instead they flood the market with the much older dual and single core models from 2011/2012.

The phone above is a Lenovo A820. Sold for around $150. Quad core 1.2ghz, 960 x 540 4.5 inches IPS screen, PowerVR SGX 544 GPU, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Android Jellybean. More importantly, it's an official carrier phone for China Mobile and has great build quality. This is the kind of cheap phone the Nigerian market needs, not the crap from Tecno that gets zero support. Which tecno phone has specs and build quality this good?

For all you folks that need budget phones, thank your God that Lenovo plans to launch phones in Africa this year. This tecno low end craze should be countered by decent budget phones.

4 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 11:09am On May 23, 2013
texazzpete
signed, sealed and delivered cool
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by honsule(m): 11:19am On May 23, 2013
mhozzis: can i get clean S3 for 40k?

I doubt.maybe around 50k. A friend of mine got a SGS3 with a (cracked screen) For 40K
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 11:43am On May 23, 2013
joeydozzy: texazzpete
signed, sealed and delivered cool

I do my best cheesy
This phone section is overrun with illiterates. How else would you have a thread with over 500 people contributing titled 'HD Games running on a Tecno N3'.

Meanwhile, the Tecno N3 has a resolution of 320 x 240. How the heck is this anywhere remotely near 'HD'?!

4llerbuntu, better suck up and befriend them or you can be sure a tecno wielding maestro will oust you as phone section 'Man of the Year' for 2013 cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by LordReed(m): 11:56am On May 23, 2013
seunpayne:

be nice!! I said I was gonna add money abi? please act right...

In what way was I nasty? I asked a legitimate question simple. Why someone would swap an S3 for an Xperia GO even with money still doesn't compute.

Anyways good luck with that.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 11:58am On May 23, 2013
4llerbuntu:

this has to be the most interesting thing iv read on this board for a long long time.

and this essentially encapsulates why i will continue to yab anyone i see fit.

oh so u know things like this yet u come here to utilize your emergency houseboys?

if u and your fans do not see what is wrong in this your statement and its implications then too bad.

meanwhile point of correction. OEMs like techno do not produce android phones. not in the true sense.

they produce cheap knockoffs with no support runnning seriously outdated software.
they violate the GPL in every way imaginable and actually include the android market on their os builds illegally.

just because google does not deem them important enough to be taken seriously does not mean they are in the right. moreover do u see them ever trying to advertise and sell those crappy devices in a 1st world country? those things ar3 made for places like nigeria. dumping grounds. phones that cannot pass any certification tests.

u better be careful u dont expose your self to the possible radiations etc from them.

no sources. no natin. we dont even know what hardware is in them much less being able to build a kernel or rom from non existent sources. even the most skilled dev will not bother trying to build CM for those things.
U r right but there is a custom rom now for the phone called ginger bean for n3 in xvda
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 23, 2013
texazzpete:

This is not about 'worshipping the West'. The Tecno phones you folks laud and worship are cheap with flimsy build quality, low resolution LCD screens with average viewing angles, low end components and meager RAM. They are COMPROMISE devices, entry level phones for Android newbies or folks on a budget.
Please do not bill this as 'Chinese worshipping the West'. That is an essentially moronic point of view when one considers that the company that sells the most smartphones in the world is not a Western company (Samsung). Even back in the days when HTC was still a major force, they made up a large chunk of Windows Mobile and Android sales...and they aren't western companies.

Not everything 'Chinese' is low quality. Lenovo makes phones with cheap components too for the budget market, but they make use of the cream of the crop of the cheap components. Months after the release of the Quad core Mediatek MTK6589 Quad Core SoC (quad core Cortex A7, paired with a very good SGX 544 GPU), there is no single Tecno phone model in Nigeria running this chipset...instead they flood the market with the much older dual and single core models from 2011/2012.

The phone above is a Lenovo A820. Sold for around $150. Quad core 1.2ghz, 960 x 540 4.5 inches IPS screen, PowerVR SGX 544 GPU, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Android Jellybean. More importantly, it's an official carrier phone for China Mobile and has great build quality. This is the kind of cheap phone the Nigerian market needs, not the crap from Tecno that gets zero support. Which tecno phone has specs and build quality this good?

For all you folks that need budget phones, thank your God that Lenovo plans to launch phones in Africa this year. This tecno low end craze should be countered by decent budget phones.
That's good tell me where I can buy
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by blackweaver(m): 1:00pm On May 23, 2013
shosky1794:
The advertisements(coupled with distribution) are some of the overheads which make phones from these big manufacturers expensive. This was confirm by the CEO of BLU, a phone manufacturer in the US. By the way, I'll like you check out the just released range of Android devices from BLU at amazingly cheap prices on sales (without contract) on AMAZON. They are even cheaper than Tecno if we are to do a direct comparison. I'm sure if those phones were to be from Tecno or available in Nigeria, you will give them all sort of names.

I've gone to the blu website, i've seen their devices; if i saw their phones for sale in nigeria i won't mind buying; Huawei is a chinese company, the last time i went to their website, i saw the types of android phones they have; tecno on the other hand, their website ... well let me just say that when i saw the announcement of the tecno n4 on nairaland, i wen to check their website to see what the had to see about it. Nothing, nada; went to check for the N7 recently same thing. Any serious company marketing a device on the international level will have information about such devices on their website. So what's the proof that the phone is even from them?
A lot of the people on this thread check other sites for information about some of these phones. When the most popular phone analysis sites don't have any information about a phone brand then your esteem of such a brand can't be so high. Believe me, when sites like gsmarena and xda start featuring tecno phones (they feature blu and huawei by the way) then we'll take them more serious.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:27pm On May 23, 2013
sam4xadams:
U r right but there is a custom rom now for the phone called ginger bean for n3 in xvda

its the stock rom that was dumped, themed and repacked no?

i could be wrong tho but i seem to remember that was what the chap who posted it on Nl said.

should in case u doubt what im saying ask yourself why there are forums that deal with chinko phones and tabs of other models but not techno

anyways, i see a lot has been written by people who i can only charitably describe as ignorant. They simply do not know about that which they want to talk about.

[size=14pt]i will refrain from stoking the embers of discord. Its a non-issue for me. [/size]

just a few things though.

Please refrain from mentioning me for devices that are not "legal"
i unfortunately neglected to learn stuff about such devices.

Please refrain from mentioning me for issues that have to do with Piracy.

Please do yourself the favor of asking google your questions BEFORE asking here.
since u know the people you are asking here also learnt from somewhere, why not go to that source yourself?

there are specialized threads that are thriving for some things on NL. direct questions there first. you will get answers quicker and make everybody's life more tolerable.

please bear with me whilst i continue to be active on this thread a little longer say till october when i will endeavour to leave the android platform behind to go to my real domain

im sure we can all live together in peace and harmony irrespective of whether we have built a rickshaw or a spoon.

viva techno!!! techno 4 life!! vote techno!!! [size=3pt]continue wasting your money and endangering your health[/size]
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by FKO1(m): 2:31pm On May 23, 2013
UNA NOR DEY TIRE WITH PHONEPHOBIA SEF
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 5:57pm On May 23, 2013
texazzpete:

couldn't have said it better
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by viruz007(m): 8:34pm On May 23, 2013
Texazzpete well said bro. grin Ermmm 4llerbuntu wey u wan run go eh? Stay hia oooo angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.