Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (894743 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by xcitedjay(m): 12:30pm On Sep 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Better engine protection VS fuel conservation, that's the summary.

I change a lot of engines every month, and one thing in common with most engine failures was the fact that they had the right oil grade (5W20) but we're hitting speeds as high as 180km/hr on the highways before the failure.

Mile master sold on konga or jumia is not full synthetic, it's a blend, meaning it's semi-synthetic which is most likely a 30-70per mix(30per full synthetic 70 mineral). I drain a lot of oil every day and iv seen the color and the base of the drain pan after the oil is turned out, trust me engine protection is your best choice if you drive aggressively and have high engine mileage.

Read a few reviews here

https://www.nairaland.com/1974986/used-milemaster-5w-30-oil-before

Personally had a similar encounter.

My car never went beyond 140km/hr, changed oil to almost recommended grade and viola speed exciding 180km/hr but then the engine failed. Had to replace the engine.

Before I changed the oil to recommended grade I informed a mechanic of my intention and he said I shouldn't that he knows someone who changed his oil to Mobil 1, I think the fully synthetic, whose engine failed within a week.

My advice is if you've been using recommended grade, stick to it. If you plan to start using recommended grade don't just jump from 20w50 to 5w20 except you plan on changing your engine anytime soon. You can do an overtime incremental step down in oil grade.

PS. Yes, it's a good practice to follow manufacturer's recommendations but there are also manufacturing defects that ended up not showing during the testing phase, that's why they do recalls 'sometimes'.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mexxy1(m): 1:02pm On Sep 30, 2015
xcitedjay:

My car never went beyond 140km/hr, changed oil to almost recommended grade and viola speed exciding 180km/hr but then the engine failed. Had to replace the engine.

Before I changed the oil to recommended grade I informed a mechanic of my intention and he said I shouldn't that he knows someone who changed his oil to Mobil 1, I think the fully synthetic, whose engine failed within a week.

My advice is if you've been using recommended grade, stick to it. If you plan to start using recommended grade don't just jump from 20w50 to 5w20 except you plan on changing your engine anytime soon. You can do an overtime incremental step down in oil grade.

PS. Yes, it's a good practice to follow manufacturer's recommendations but there are also manufacturing defects that ended up not showing during the testing phase, that's why they do recalls 'sometimes'.

Lucky you. The problem was how they went about the change to the recommended grade and not the product itself like you pointed out.
Your story indicates the change was done using Mobile 1 so I am vindicated. It will happen with any oil if not done rightly.
I guess this clears every doubt about Milemaster oils.
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dandollar1: 2:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Just the socket? Cause you can only get a stripped version from an engine.

the socket and the wires attached to it. I have a new TPS, I am thinking the issue might be from the wires/socket. I stay in Bonny island, so I have almost no access to good mechanics/car electrician. I want to see if I can direct a mechanic/car electrician to change these parts for me. Can I get from you?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2015
dandollar1:
the socket and the wires attached to it. I have a new TPS, I am thinking the issue might be from the wires/socket. I stay in Bonny island, so I have almost no access to good mechanics/car electrician. I want to see if I can direct a mechanic/car electrician to change these parts for me. Can I get from you?

I want to belive your diagnosis is poor, and the socket is unnecessary. I'm sure there's a scanner where you are.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dandollar1: 2:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I want to belive your diagnosis is poor, and the socket is unnecessary. I'm sure there's a scanner where you are.
yes, I have a scanner. The code I got was P2138.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dandollar1: 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

yes, I have a scanner. The code I got was P2138. I have two throttle body, complete with the TPS which I bought sometime last year when I had this issue. The problem resurfaced a short while after I changed the TPS. I had to revert to the one I replaced. That's what I have been using till now, and that's why I'm thinking it's the socket that might be the culprit.

Please, does the 2007 Honda accord have accelerator pedal position sensor, APS on the accelerator pedal, or APS=TPS?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
dandollar1:
yes, I have a scanner. The code I got was P2138. I have two throttle body, complete with the TPS which I bought sometime last year when I had this issue. The problem resurfaced a short while after I changed the TPS. I had to revert to the one I replaced. That's what I have been using till now, and that's why I'm thinking it's the socket that might be the culprit.

Please, does the 2007 Honda accord have accelerator pedal position sensor, APS on the accelerator pedal, or APS=TPS?

This is what the code refers to, the one in red.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbu-ZZrg0pveyUMDuX1FkG7WrtndyJwotxC3J142vNnv4gnkAX[/img]

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by xcitedjay(m): 9:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
mexxy1:

Lucky you. The problem was how they went about the change to the recommended grade and not the product itself like you pointed out.
Your story indicates the change was done using Mobile 1 so I am vindicated. It will happen with any oil if not done rightly.
I guess this clears every doubt about Milemaster oils.
Thanks for sharing.

Lol, lucky me? I wonder what I would have lost in addiction to the engine if I wasn't lucky cheesy

I actually changed to Total Quartz 9000 which is fully synthetic. I get to hear of a lot of different brand on this platform but I don't think I'm going near them anytime soon. Sticking to the known brands for now.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
[quote author=dandollar1 post=38532643
Please, does the 2007 Honda accord have accelerator pedal position sensor, APS on the accelerator pedal, or APS=TPS? [/quote]

Most, if not all 2007 Honda Accord uses the APS.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dandollar1: 10:26am On Oct 08, 2015
I am having an OBD code on my 2007 Honda accord, P0172. It has to do with- Fuel System Too Rich Bank 1.

The code came up a day after I had a mechanic clean my fuel filter because the engine was going off while on motion.

Could it be that the fuel filter was not properly fixed that is why I'm having this code?

There is no black smoke emanating from the exhaust, no smell of gasoline inside the car or in the engine oil, no drop increased fuel consumption...(symptoms of this problem).

I have not noticed any driving issues, but I want to fix it before it develops to something else.

So far, I have cleaned the MAF sensor. I also added injector cleaner to my fuel tank ( these were suggested as part of the could be solutions) .

I reset the engine light but it came on after two days.

I was also having a TPS sensor code(p2138) that was assumed fixed about the same time, so when I saw the engine light again, I thought the TPS Problem was back until I checked and saw it was a different code.

*** Could it be that the fuel filter was not properly fixed that is why I'm having this code?

Please, how do I rectify this problem?
I HATE SEEING THAT LIGHT ON!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sewentybaba: 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2015
Am having issues with my honda bullet's ignition. The car refused to start last month, I was advised by my mech to change d ignition, which I did. After a week, similar situation occurred.
My mech told me it's d booster from d ignition.
It was replaced where I bought d ignition at no cost.
After 7 days, which is today, the car refused to start. Am thinking it's the same problem. Pls gurus:
Is it my car destroying d ignition or booster, or something is wrong with d one I bought.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59pm On Oct 08, 2015
dandollar1:
I am having an OBD code on my 2007 Honda accord, P0172. It has to do with- Fuel System Too Rich Bank 1.

The code came up a day after I had a mechanic clean my fuel filter because the engine was going off while on motion.

Could it be that the fuel filter was not properly fixed that is why I'm having this code?

There is no black smoke emanating from the exhaust, no smell of gasoline inside the car or in the engine oil, no drop increased fuel consumption...(symptoms of this problem).

I have not noticed any driving issues, but I want to fix it before it develops to something else.

So far, I have cleaned the MAF sensor. I also added injector cleaner to my fuel tank ( these were suggested as part of the could be solutions) .

I reset the engine light but it came on after two days.

I was also having a TPS sensor code(p2138) that was assumed fixed about the same time, so when I saw the engine light again, I thought the TPS Problem was back until I checked and saw it was a different code.

*** Could it be that the fuel filter was not properly fixed that is why I'm having this code?

Please, how do I rectify this problem?
I HATE SEEING THAT LIGHT ON!

Low fuel pressure, intake leak, dirty/bad maf leaking exhaust could trigger a system lean code.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
sewentybaba:
Am having issues with my honda bullet's ignition. The car refused to start last month, I was advised by my mech to change d ignition, which I did. After a week, similar situation occurred.
My mech told me it's d booster from d ignition.
It was replaced where I bought d ignition at no cost.
After 7 days, which is today, the car refused to start. Am thinking it's the same problem. Pls gurus:
Is it my car destroying d ignition or booster, or something is wrong with d one I bought.

Change mechanics/auto electrician.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Flyingman(m): 8:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
Greetings guys, how do I fix my battery corrosion issues? I usually see white substances on my -ve battery terminal which prevents the car from starting most times. car starts only when I clean the connector and fix it back. Is it the connector or sign of a dying battery? Have you experienced this before? Kindly assist.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 10:59pm On Oct 10, 2015
Flyingman:
Greetings guys, how do I fix my battery corrosion issues? I usually see white substances on my -ve battery terminal which prevents the car from starting most times. car starts only when I clean the connector and fix it back. Is it the connector or sign of a dying battery? Have you experienced this before? Kindly assist.

buy one bottle of coke, pour on battery terminals to eat away deposits, then rub a thin layer of high quality grease or vaseline around the terminals. Youre good to go.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Flyingman(m): 11:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
kingreign:

buy one bottle of coke, pour on battery terminals to eat away deposits, then rub a thin layer of high quality grease or vaseline around the terminals. Youre good to go.

Many thanks man. Would give that a try.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by lanre2009: 11:35pm On Oct 10, 2015
@GazzuZz @luvinhubby: How much can i get a tokunbo replacement transmission for a 1998 Honda Accord (4 cylinder)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:58am On Oct 11, 2015
lanre2009:
@GazzuZz @luvinhubby: How much can i get a tokunbo replacement transmission for a 1998 Honda Accord (4 cylinder)

35-40k
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by lanre2009: 5:47am On Oct 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

35-40k

How much will you charge to replace the transmission. Do you have any reliable person we can buy it from. Please reply asap. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:08am On Oct 11, 2015
lanre2009:

How much will you charge to replace the transmission. Do you have any reliable person we can buy it from. Please reply asap. Thanks

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:52am On Oct 11, 2015
xcitedjay:

There is something called oil pressure as well as oil temperature, when one increases, the other also increases. When engines fail at such high speeds, it tends to be caused by issues relating to extreme oil pressures and temperatures.

If you want to race a car with absolute piece of mind, you need to do what racing teams, they have dedicated in-car gauges for everything. water/coolant temperature, oil pressure, oil temperature, ATF temperature and even fuel pressure. Drivers behind the wheel of a racing car also know how the various systems and sub-systems work and interrelate and depend, so they can react appropriately to whatever situation.

If those racing their cars had a dedicated oil pressure and oil temperature gauge and maybe an ATF temperature gauge and knew the acceptable range of values for each fluid to operate, they would have backed off a bit and there would not have lost the engine.

Using the right oil viscosity is ok, but that is just one variable, I saw a very good article on the relationship between oil pressure and oil temperature, it said in part:

[b]"Every racing engine has an optimum OIL PRESSURE that will provide the peak performance and the durability needed to finish the race successfully...A reliable "rule of thumb" calls for 10 lbs. of oil pressure for every one thousand RPM...Keeping tabs with an accurate oil pressure gauge is imperative, because oil pressure normally fluctuates up or down depending upon engine and outside air temperatures...In addition to a reliable gauge, modern racers use an auxiliary warning light wired to a sending unit which activates the light when the oil pressure drops to a dangerous level...Higher oil pressure subsequently creates increased OIL TEMPERATURE, because the oil is being forced to compress as it flows through the galleries. Air temperature can also affect oil temperature...Ideal operating oil temperatures are between 230° and 260° where oil flows the most freely and provides the best lubrication. Petroleum-based engine oil breaks down very rapidly and loses lubricating properties as temperatures near 285°. Synthetic motor oil holds up better in higher temperatures and provides better engine endurance under extreme heat...The oil temperature gauge should be mounted right next to the oil pressure gauge, and a warning light here would also be a good idea. Engine WATER TEMPERATURE affects oil pressure and oil temperature, so it's quite logical that an accurate water temperature gauge is likewise an absolute necessity. As water temperature increases, oil pressure drops and oil temperature rises. Smart racers use auxiliary engine oil coolers. In fact, many aluminum race radiators have built-in engine oil coolers. TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE should also be closely monitored, especially by drag racers. Prior to racing, drivers may "foot stall", or activate the trans brake, to warm the transmission in the pits to an ideal operating temperature between 175° and 225°. Automatic transmissions shift best, and torque converters provide maximum stall speed, when they are operated in this temperature range. Transmission fluid begins to breaks down at 240°. Bottom line? Install a good set of gauges. Be aware of what are considered "normal" operating pressures and temperatures under varying conditions. " [/b]

Siena can enlighten you on all the above ask him nicely!

One thing most uneducated racers don't know is that you must let the oil get to operating temperature before you go into the high speed zone, otherwise you risk premature engine wear! You do not do that by idling but by driving around for a while, you gotta drive the vehicle for a while to heat up the engine oil which gets hot much more slowly than the coolant!

That is why I decided to install several aftermarket gauges on my vehicle since they provide a higher level of detail than the manufacturer's as I love to put my vehicle through the paces in an attempt to extract all the power that it can it unleash, I don't need to be more explicit, you know what I mean by that!

I also use the highest grade of synthetic engine oil I can afford, same goes for synthetic transmission fluid and the highest quality of coolant/antifreeze.

Here is an article on the various conditions of oil pressure and their effect: http://lubricants.s5.com/oil_pressure.htm.

If your vehicle comes with just a light that comes on or off to indicate oil pressure, then note that its not dependable, in educated car circles, its called an idiot light due to its worthlessness!

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:20am On Oct 11, 2015
kingreign:

I disagree with you kingreign!! angry

Buy a bottle of coke drink half then pour the rest on the terminals. That's how it's done cool

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Buy a bottle of coke drink half then pour the rest on the terminals. That's how it's done cool

Surprisingly, last 3 weeks, I did same on a car I was cleaning o. I had worked from morning till afternoon and it was scotching hot day and I was thirsty, I bought very chilled coke, long throat entered I gulped almost half the content down. grin

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by bindammy(m): 12:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
@GazzuZz @luvinhubby and all others that can help,

please where in lagos can I get oxygen sensors and catalyst for my Honda accord 2003 v6 oooo. my car's 'fuel-chopping' grin no be here ooo. I had it scanned and it brought error codes for O2 sensors and catalytic inefficiency.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by whyteboyz03(m): 12:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
My people please help me.... My 2003 Honda accord just started being weird yesterday. Its a V6 and 8 months old . while idling, it jerks for a few seconds then goes back normal. When I try to reverse, it jerks a little then moves normal again. I've never had fuel finish in it . please advice and maintenance required blinks when I start the engine .
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 2:08pm On Oct 14, 2015
whyteboyz03:
My people please help me.... My 2003 Honda accord just started being weird yesterday. Its a V6 and 8 months old . while idling, it jerks for a few seconds then goes back normal. When I try to reverse, it jerks a little then moves normal again. I've never had fuel finish in it . please advice and maintenance required blinks when I start the engine .

where's your location? if you're in Abuja, call Mike 07034581213
if you're in Lagos, call Gazzuzz 08023251039
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 2:41pm On Oct 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

35-40k

@Gazzuzz....How much does a scanner cost? Wia can one get it in warri? Or PH? Is it easy to use? I.e not sophisticated.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2015
diggy4real:

@Gazzuzz....How much does a scanner cost? Wia can one get it in warri? Or PH? Is it easy to use? I.e not sophisticated.
Thanks

Konga/ jumia/ vconnect

Try theses sites.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 7:28pm On Oct 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Konga/ jumia/ vconnect

Try theses sites.

I saw a lot of them....ranging from 3k-20k .... Which shud I get for private use?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chuks04: 9:16pm On Oct 14, 2015
Hello house,
pls I need an advise. I use accord 2007 DC and I noticed it always scrap n touches grounds at all times due to the car is low. I use 215/60/16 rims tyre. Should I change thr tyre to higher one? What type should I use so as to carry the car up a bit. If I use a higher tyre, wount it affect the fuel consumption.

Thanks my ppl.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.