Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,906 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (889240 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (432) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 7:07am On Jul 09, 2016
Macmilla:
My ppl, I just saw this angry-looking discussion continues somewhere and apart from that mean all-black colour and unique headlights, this beast has 4 exhaust outlets. I know Honda v6 normally has double exhaust, but this guy has 4.
Could this be a DC v8? Is that possible? Or just some serious love-vendor-my-ride shit?
Learned men in d house, over to you.

Cc: Gazzuzz

Sorry I couldn't take more pictures, make one military man no commot from one corner and arrange my face with better slap for taking pictures of his car.

Quad tip exhaust is not a standard feature of any of the trims of the 2006 and 2007 Honda Accord. It may be retrofitted with one though, but I can imagine how expensive that would be.

Except we ask the owner in this case, can't be sure how he got his. Possibilities could be:

1) He bought the car that way: That is, the previous owner (assuming car was bought Toks) might have been a performance freak, and installed the exhaust

2) Owner installed it himself. The so-called 'pimping' smiley

As to what's in the hood, I assure you this is the EX-V6 with a 3.0L engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by inze(m): 12:41pm On Jul 09, 2016
Macmilla:

Plz, make una leave the colour of that car and answer my questions. Like you rightly said, it's his choice.
I just want to know if you have seen an accord with 4 exhaust and what it has in d hood.

. . . if he can change the color, exhaust and lights of his car. Then changing the engine to v16 wouldn't be a problem. (Pun Intended)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 7:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
inze:

. . . if he can change the color, exhaust and lights of his car. Then changing the engine to v16 wouldn't be a problem. (Pun Intended)
Lol at v16. Buggatti chiron.
I no mind to have that exhaust just to make other car freaks wonder.

Whoever modified this car must be a black freak. Even d Honda logo at the back and the exhausts were painted black. I was surprised to see the headlamp white (clear).
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Baylam(m): 11:36am On Jul 10, 2016
Please house I need oil pump for my 2007 Honda accord, please quote price and location
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:09pm On Jul 10, 2016
Baylam:
Please house I need oil pump for my 2007 Honda accord, please quote price and location

parts like this hardly fail. By the way is it a v6 or a 4banger? Tell me the description of the problem, I'll advice accordingly.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Baylam(m): 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2016
It's a four banger sir, I av been hearing a knocking sound, didn't know it was oil pump, not until the car just stop working and when I start it, the car respond and go off.
GAZZUZZ:

parts like this hardly fail. By the way is it a v6 or a 4banger? Tell me the description of the problem, I'll advice accordingly.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2016
Baylam:
It's a four banger sir, I av been hearing a knocking sound, didn't know it was oil pump, not until the car just stop working and when I start it, the car respond and go off.

the conclusion of your diagnosis is that oil pump is the cause? shocked
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by iyisco2001(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
Oga gazzuzz, my motor dry chop fuel o, 26ltrs in 3hrs drive, @145, my foreign reserve is depleting.
Honda civic, 1.8ltrs engine. Vtec, 2004, help. I need (free grin)scan.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2016
iyisco2001:
Oga gazzuzz, my motor dry chop fuel o, 26ltrs in 3hrs drive, @145, my foreign reserve is depleting.
Honda civic, 1.8ltrs engine. Vtec, 2004, help. I need (free grin)scan.

cheesy cheesy grin grin Hope no be village people handwork? cheesy cheesy grin grin
You might need MFM prayers.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by iyisco2001(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2016
kingreign:

cheesy cheesy grin grin Hope no be village people handwork? cheesy cheesy grin grin
You might need MFM prayers.
I swear, it's funny, I sold a V6 vehicle to buy the baby, and I run 1500 in two hours, I never considered it annoying until I have to refuel twice yesterday at 2000 each, after driving for just about 2hrs, I wan die. Na there I know say e don happen.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
iyisco2001:

I swear, it's funny, I sold a V6 vehicle to buy the baby, and I run 1500 in two hours, I never considered it annoying until I have to refuel twice yesterday at 2000 each, after driving for just about 2hrs, I wan die. Na there I know say e don happen.

best way to calculate mileage is in actual distance covered.

Now what is your constant vehicle temp when driving? Is the needle at the center? Or really cool almost at "C".

Are your fans always running constantly when the ignition is switched on?

To you have any warning lights on the cluster?

Scan is nor free but will be subsidized.
I will also throw in free diagnosis.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by iyisco2001(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

best way to calculate mileage is in actual distance covered.

Now what is your constant vehicle temp when driving? Is the needle at the center? Or really cool almost at "C".

Are your fans always running constantly when the ignition is switched on?

To you have any warning lights on the cluster?

Scan is nor free but will be subsidized.
I will also throw in free diagnosis.

Distance covered I will get that soon.
Needle always at center and that's highest temperature.
Fans are always running.
No light on dash though, I don't know if it has been tampered with anyway.
No wahala, when can I bring it down.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Baylam(m): 12:22am On Jul 11, 2016
Diagnosis didn't say anything until the engine was open! That was when the mech find the oil pump is knocked
GAZZUZZ:

the conclusion of your diagnosis is that oil pump is the cause? shocked
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by OShepherd: 4:41pm On Jul 11, 2016
@Gazzuzz, may I ask sir, is there no Honda Cars Wattsapp chat group like we have through Chief Siena. Really gr8 if U could com up wit one. If any in d house please add me 08060286044
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 9free(m): 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
mexxy1:

Find a locksmith. I had similar issues last month. Drove the vehicle normally all day and stopped to buy something but key refused entering the keyhole to start the vehicle.
I called Luvinhubby and he advised I get a locksmith. In my case, I got an auto electrician who disconnected the key unit, started it with screwdriver and I drove home. He then went with the unit to the locksmith and after about two hours he came back, installed it and I've been starting the vehicle normally.
Can anyone recommend a good locksmith in and around Abuja for me? Want to cut a new key and also transfer a transponder chip from old to the key.
cc: Gazzuz, luvinghubby, cardoc
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by equity2genesis(m): 1:51am On Jul 16, 2016
@ Luvinhubby, Gazzuzz and others - may God help you guys for this helpful thread . Am in Akure , Ondo State, can anyone please recommend a good and reliable Honda mechanic for me in Akure please....
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:55am On Jul 16, 2016
equity2genesis:
@ Luvinhubby, Gazzuzz and others - may God help you guys for this helpful thread . Am in Akure , Ondo State, can anyone please recommend a good and reliable Honda mechanic for me in Akure please....

none that I know of in akure
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Acceptance4(m): 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
*I saw this somewhere and I feel it may be of help to some people,it may not be new to some people but I believe some may benefit*
*tip for preventing a transmission breakdown*
Think of your car’s inner workings as similar to that of the human body.

If your stomach begins to hurt without warning, you’ll probably start thinking of the last thing you ate in order to figure out why you’re having the pain. When it comes to diagnosing car trouble, a similar type of thinking goes into finding out what’s wrong.

The moment you start noticing something out of the ordinary with your car, it’s time to start considering the problem and finding a way to fix it. It's great if your problem can be sorted without much trouble, but even better not to have a problem in the first place. This is especially true when it comes to your vehicle's transmission, as this can be one of the more specialized parts to repair. Looking after your transmission is important, so don’t neglect it. The best way to do this is to catch problems early.

Here are 12 tips that could help you avoid a potential breakdown:

1. Check your transmission fluid level, color and smell regularly.
Your fluid should be checked roughly every 1,600 kilometres. The fluid should also be changed every 80,000 kilometres or every other year, depending on which comes first.

2. Use the correct fluid.
Types of fluid vary from vehicle to vehicle. Some newer fluids may be more expensive but they will likely improve the protection of the transmission, which makes it worth the expense.

3. Don’t overfill your transmission.
Follow your manual very carefully when checking and adding fluid. Overfilling can cause the fluid to foam, which can lead to erratic shifting, loss of internal lubrication and potential transmission damage.

4. Avoid excess heat in your transmission.
Heat is a serious enemy of transmission health. Research suggests that 90% of transmission failures are caused by heat. If you reduce the heat back to normal operating temperatures, you increase the life span of your vehicle.

5. Don’t tow in overdrive.
Look for a button on the dash or steering column that turns overdrive off. If your vehicle doesn’t have this button, if probably has the overdrive position on the shift indicator. Pull the shift lever from overdrive to the drive position before towing.

6. Install an auxiliary cooler.
An auxiliary cooler can save your transmission from the damage done by excess heat. When properly installed they may help your transmission to run 30% to 50% cooler when towing. This investment could save you hundreds of dollars.

7. Don’t overload your vehicle.
All that weight from towing makes the transmission work too hard so it overheats, which causes real damage. If you do a lot of towing, consider the point 6.

8. Allow your vehicle to warm up thoroughly on cold mornings.
Warming up the engine/transmission for about 30 seconds to a minute before driving is best practice. After that take it easy until the car is actually warm.

9. Avoid rocking between gears if your vehicle becomes stuck in mud or on ice.
If you must rock, do so as gently as possible and make sure the wheels have stopped moving before each gear change. This will drastically reduce the strain placed on the transmission.

10. Do not perform high performance starts, or spinning of your tires except in emergencies.

11. Use your emergency brake when parking on an incline.
This reduces stress on the parking pawl (pin) and linkage.

12. Play it safe; get any potential trouble looked at promptly by a professional.
If you think a problem is developing (say you notice sudden changes to the way your car drives, or any changes to the way your transmission works, such as trouble changing gears or a delay before the gear seems to shift), but you aren't sure, get it checked out by an expert.

Other considerations:

Automatic vs. Manual
Cars come in two basic models: automatic, where you only need to worry about basic gears plus the gas and brake, and manual, where you use a stick shift and clutch to manually choose the optimal gear for your driving conditions. Both types need transmission fluid to keep the transmission in working order, but it can be easier for you to check the transmission fluid yourself in a manual car. If you want to keep your car running as long as possible and as safely as possible, you'll want to know all about the transmission fluid and the role it plays in your transmission maintenance.

Transmission Fluid
The transmission fluid helps keep your transmission's gears moving smoothly without friction. If you smell something burning, while driving your car or while checking the transmission fluid, the fluid is likely old and will need to be replaced. Transmission fluid should be bright red in color, which you can check by wiping a small amount on a cotton ball or a piece of white paper, and should smell slightly sweet. While you can usually check the transmission fluid yourself, the draining and changing of it should be handled by a professional, especially with an automatic transmission. If you do want to change it yourself, check your owner's manual and follow its instructions carefully, including using the recommended type of transmission fluid. Be careful not to overfill with fluid, as this can cause it to foam and lead to damage to your transmission.

Heat Damage
Heat causes the majority of damage to transmissions and can be caused by old transmission fluid, excessive braking and accelerating in hot weather, towing trailers, and damage to other parts of your car's system. Experts recommend that with severe use of your car - defined as using your car in heavy city traffic and at temperatures over 90 F more than 50% of your driving time - you should have the filter and fluid changed every 15,000 miles. If you use your car less than that, or in cooler weather, the recommended maintenance is usually between 25,000 and 60,000 miles. Your car manual or your dealership will be able to tell you the optimum number for your vehicle.

Regular fluid and filter maintenance will help prevent fluid oxidization, which can lead to hardened rubber seals and gaskets, which will then start to leak. By catching this problem before it really starts, and by using preventative measures, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Transmission Slip
Regular transmission maintenance is important to prevent a problem known as transmission slip. Your transmission may be slipping if you notice the following problems:

Sudden changes in engine RPM (revolutions per minute)
Sluggish acceleration
The car continues to glide forward when you've taken your foot off the gas
Slow response to changing gears
As with all transmission maintenance, keeping your transmission fluid clean and topped-up will help prevent transmission slip, but you can also prevent it by taking care when shifting gears. You should be at a full stop before switching to Reverse or Park, and if possible, shifting to Park or Neutral when stationary will help reduce the strain on your transmission.

Overdrive and Towing
Automatic transmissions have a neat feature called overdrive. The overdrive essentially reduces the stress on your engine and gear system. You won't need to turn on the overdrive - in the majority of automatic cars it's already turned on - but you may have to turn it off every now and then when you're towing something. Turning the overdrive off will increase your torque and your engine's RPM, but having it off constantly will put excess strain on your transmission, causing it to break down faster. Turning the overdrive off when towing something, however, will help to decrease the excess heat the transmission develops due to the added weight. If you tow frequently, especially heavy loads, you may want to look into installing an extra transmission fluid cooler into your car.

Conclusion

Like our health, there is no foolproof way to prevent transmission problems altogether. However, when a fault does begin to develop, there is still an element of problem prevention. Catching transmission problems early can prevent them from worsening and prevent further trouble from developing. This can potentially mean a simple repair instead of a major one. Following these simple practices can help keep your transmission well cared-for.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by godzwilla: 7:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
@luvinhubby pls whats the cost of the following items for a 2006 Honda Pilot:

New double cell radiator
Honda DW-1 transmission oil
Honda coolant
Honda brake fluid.

Pls send details to gswill123@yahoo.com
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Beehandz(m): 10:44am On Jul 30, 2016
Gurus in the house, I hail o

pls my car accelerates when on park. It started yesterday after driving for a while. Pls what could be the cause.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by soonest(f): 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2016
@luvinhubby,I use a 2006 Honda accord, my gear oil is short. The recommended oil ATF DW1 isn't available where I stay. Pls what quantity do I need and what's the cost. Thank you

Also, all my windows have refused to wind down except d driver's side. What can be d prob?
Cc: gazzuz, other gurus
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
soonest:
@luvinhubby,I use a 2006 Honda accord, my gear oil is short. The recommended oil ATF DW1 isn't available where I stay. Pls what quantity do I need and what's the cost. Thank you

Also, all my windows have refused to wind down except d driver's side. What can be d prob?
Cc: gazzuz, other gurus

Where is your location?

For your windows, there is an over ride button by the driver door side which disable all other windows from going up or down. Press it then try winding up or down again.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by soonest(f): 4:24pm On Jul 31, 2016
kingreign:

Where is your location?

For your windows, there is an over ride button by the driver door side which disable all other windows from going up or down. Press it then try winding up or down again.

That was the first thing I did but didn't work
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 6:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
soonest:

Benin.

That was the first thing I did but didn't work

Call a highly competent electrician to check all fuses for you, and if any is burnt, he should replace with same rating. You may have to replace your driver side door remote control (door window control buttons motherboard).
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by efizyhenchmen: 11:51am On Aug 01, 2016
Please,professional in the house kindly assist with the meaning of these error codes I got from scanning my EOD

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 5:01pm On Aug 01, 2016
Morenzy15:
At this time when the price of petrol and diesel has increased astronomically, you need to reduce your petrol and diesel consumption.
Get our unique NEOSOCKET CAR FUEL SAVER.
* Its easy to use. Just plug to your car cigarrette socket.
* It reduces car fuel consumption.
* It increases the engine horse power.
* It increases the life of the car battery.
* It reduces the car exhaust emission etc.
Contact us on our business line on 08028930179 to place your order as we deliver nationwide within just 3-5 days on pay on delivery.
Biggest lie of the century.

[size=24pt]SCAM ALERT!!![/size]

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by koluray: 3:02am On Aug 02, 2016
what are the error codes(DTC) you got?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:59am On Aug 02, 2016
koluray:
what are the error codes(DTC) you got?

Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being banned.

You are spamming multiple threads with this pic.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Experience4u(m): 2:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
Please how reliable is MRS oil, formally Texaco. Am ore particular to the 20w50 weight oil. Thanks for you response
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by efizyhenchmen: 2:42pm On Aug 02, 2016
@kulray, I got DTC 67_1(temporary) DTC 63_1(permanent and temporary),DTC 63_2(permanent and temporary),DTC 63_3(permanent and temporary) ,DTC 90_5 (permanent and temporary)'DTC 87_2(permanent and temporary) and DTC 63_1(permanent and temporary).

Thank you so much. Awaits your response
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nnamokenna(m): 3:52pm On Aug 02, 2016
If you are looking for a good 1992-2000 Honda Accord AC compressor, then check https://www.nairaland.com/3147615/ac-compressors-toyota-camry-honda

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (432) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.