Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,542 members, 7,819,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? - Car Talk (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (103075 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 09, 2015
^^^^ so you've got friend who lie?
Good for you both....

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
12-06-2015
Did a 200km/hr on abj-kd expressway in a Toyota camry 2003 while dragging with a Range Rover Sport. Beat the guy around 200 and left him but later came flashing past, followed him for like 5mins and then have his ass handed to him again and he kept following till we got to toll-gate. Couldn't go past 200km/hr because the car's back was swerving whenever it enters potholes or on an uneven road.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by rainmaker12(m): 2:23am On Jul 12, 2015
Who has tried 180 in lekki express way?
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 12, 2015
banky3w:
12-06-2015
Did a 200km/hr on abj-kd expressway in a Toyota camry 2003 while dragging with a Range Rover Sport. Beat the guy around 200 and left him but later came flashing past, followed him for like 5mins and then have his ass handed to him again and he kept following till we got to toll-gate. Couldn't go past 200km/hr because the car's back was swerving whenever it enters potholes or on an uneven road.

in America, Australia, Asia etc, the camry is used and no one complains of unbalanced rear even on pothole infested roads and dirt roads. Its only in Nigeria we hear of such things as rear end unbalanced, car swerving. Bro, i say you lie. If a car gets upset or unbalanced at 160km/hr its very very very risky and that car can easily career off the road yet you did 200km/hr and you claim car wasnt balanced but you're still alive and unhurt to tell the story? You lie because i drove a 2005 camry LE 2.4L belonging to my uncle 2weeks ago in Akwa Ibom i pushed it hard on their newly constructed expressway and it didnt make any drama, i took it to Cross Rivers and came back at 12am where i took a detour after Odukpani and followed the dual carriage way which terminated at plaza at very high speeds, yet no drama even at those bends there was no drama. Beside, i drive a highlander which still uses camry suspensions setup, engines and gearbox in Abuja with no drama.

So i say check your suspensions and tyres other than that check the roads you drive on. Abuja-Kaduna express isn't too smooth for those kind of speeds.

However, if youre schumacher wanna be, check your tyres and rear suspensions. However, i still maintained you lie.
Chikena!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 8:12am On Jul 12, 2015
@ lomomike we all know the dude is lying.

Consistently doing a 200kmph on nigerian roads in a Camry is just an ego-boosting fictional write up.

Beating a supercharged range on the same road patch is even more worthy of a bed time story.

Final punch is the reported swerve. A kiss with a pot hole in a Camry at 200kmph is guaranteed to be 'eventful'

I don't comment much on this thread again because i have noticed a lot of 'stories'.

NB: brief speed bursts up to 200kmph is totally different from averaging 200kmph on a trip.

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by obili25(m): 10:41am On Jul 12, 2015
I've done 280km/hr in a pegeut 407. In a video game though.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by tunergy(m): 10:53am On Jul 12, 2015
Denn:

Consistently doing a 200kmph on nigerian roads in a Camry is just an ego-boosting fictional write up.

Beating a supercharged range on the same road patch is even more worthy of a bed time story.

Final punch is the reported swerve. A kiss with a pot hole in a Camry at 200kmph is guaranteed to be 'eventful'

I don't comment much on this thread again because i have noticed a lot of 'stories'.

NB: brief speed bursts up to 200kmph is totally different from averaging 200kmph on a trip.

I am asuming you were in the car with Him.

And you are also sure the range rover was ready to take him on.

I have been in 2011 BMW 535i and a camry tiny breezed past me will i was doing 80 on third mainland bridge. I didn't go after him.

So if he boasts to his friend that he dusted a BMW, he is write. But really thats because i didn't give him a challenge.

Am sure you won't say the tiny light guy lied.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by gbonsalifus(m): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2015
GarbaAudu:
I can't go beyond 140km/hr with a Japanese car. Simply, I don't feel safe. May be with a more heavier European car, I can ONLY test run up to 170km/hr.

What you feel to be the weight of a car while you are driving is only 'perceived', though in a good way. A car feels heavy when the suspension is stiff combined with a weighted steering wheel. And that does seem to encourage faster driving. E.g. A Nissan Maxima is 100% Japanese. Thats not really the actual weight of the car. In fact, when a car is actually heavier, its drives worse.

101carsense..com

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 2:15pm On Jul 12, 2015
tunergy:

I am asuming you were in the car with Him.

And you are also sure the range rover was ready to take him on.

I have been in 2011 BMW 535i and a camry tiny breezed past me will i was doing 80 on third mainland bridge. I didn't go after him.

So if he boasts to his friend that he dusted a BMW, he is write. But really thats because i didn't give him a challenge.

Am sure you won't say the tiny light guy lied.

Am assuming you read his post when he wrote:
"Did a 200km/hr on abj-kd expressway in a Toyota camry 2003 while DRAGGING with a Range Rover Sport. "

Keyword was drag and its nigerianized meaning is to compete.

I would challenge the op to record a YouTube video of him doing an avg of 200kmph with the Camry for a minimum of 5 minutes.

If the 'tiny light' said he maintained an avg of 200kmph on a trip in Nigeria, I would say he lied....except its a Camry on a dyno...tied down of course
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 3:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
lomomike:

in America, Australia, Asia etc, the camry is used and no one complains of unbalanced rear even on pothole infested roads and dirt roads. Its only in Nigeria we hear of such things as rear end unbalanced, car swerving. Bro, i say you lie. If a car gets upset or unbalanced at 160km/hr its very very very risky and that car can easily career off the road yet you did 200km/hr and you claim car wasnt balanced but you're still alive and unhurt to tell the story? You lie because i drove a 2005 camry LE 2.4L belonging to my uncle 2weeks ago in Akwa Ibom i pushed it hard on their newly constructed expressway and it didnt make any drama, i took it to Cross Rivers and came back at 12am where i took a detour after Odukpani and followed the dual carriage way which terminated at plaza at very high speeds, yet no drama even at those bends there was no drama. Beside, i drive a highlander which still uses camry suspensions setup, engines and gearbox in Abuja with no drama.

So i say check your suspensions and tyres other than that check the roads you drive on. Abuja-Kaduna express isn't too smooth for those kind of speeds.

However, if youre schumacher wanna be, check your tyres and rear suspensions. However, i still maintained you lie.
Chikena!
I'm seriously disappointed in dis guy! This back slipping issue was a fault and it made me slept in Ondo town the previous day because d car was coming from Lagos but I couldn't do more than 80km/h for the fear of my life because the slipping thingy was worse. The mech. I gave it to 'packed' the rubber that was holding a lower arm ( don't know what its called) and the issue seemed solved while cruising thru town the whole day. On my way to Kd, the issue resurfaced when I was above 120 but it was way manageable and I decided not to stop untill I get to KD. The range I was talking about was just cruising until I tried passing him on 160km/h and d guy looked at me and started picking up. We were head to head and it was not until I checked my speedo that I knew I was at 200km/h! One thing about me is that it does not matter if u are driving a Ferrari 2025 model and I'm driving a Subaru 1960 model, when I see u on the road and the condition permits me, I race u! If I win, I always feel I achieved something and I I don't, I bow for u! But I never back out of a challenge. When I said the range flashed past me, I mean it. The guy literally flashed past me after beating him on our head to head ordeal clearly because the guy has to brake in order to switch lane because of another car in front of him and i let off the pedal because I was aware of how light the car felt and this was showing clearly in the car's dance. I think the car in the range did around 220km/h because the roar was something I never heard before. I was able to drag with him because I think the guy has no liver to carry on such speeds for long cos he normally relents after beating me and being ahead. It seems u won't believe until I give u proofs which I don't have because I didn't think I'll be posting this someday but when it happens again I will surely have proof.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 4:07pm On Jul 12, 2015
Denn:

I didn't see where the caption of this thread said "what is the average speed you've driven......." Judge Denn. Don't know what the big deal is about a Camry doing 200km/h because I have done a consistent 200km/h for like 2 mins before my friend actually reminded me that we were actually going for a wedding and not our own funeral in my previous 98 Camry V6. I bet daddy bought you a beemer for ur 20th birthday and you've never gotten behind the wheels of any other car since then. No offence, just saying.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2015
banky3w:

I'm seriously disappointed in dis guy! This back slipping issue was a fault and it made me slept in Ondo town the previous day because d car was coming from Lagos but I couldn't do more than 80km/h for the fear of my life because the slipping thingy was worse. The mech. I gave it to 'packed' the rubber that was holding a lower arm ( don't know what its called) and the issue seemed solved while cruising thru town the whole day. On my way to Kd, the issue resurfaced when I was above 120 but it was way manageable and I decided not to stop untill I get to KD. The range I was talking about was just cruising until I tried passing him on 160km/h and d guy looked at me and started picking up. We were head to head and it was not until I checked my speedo that I knew I was at 200km/h! One thing about me is that it does not matter if u are driving a Ferrari and I'm driving a Subaru, when I see u on the road and the condition permits me, I race u! If I win, I always feel I achieved something and I I don't, I bow for u! But I never back out of a challenge. When I said the range flashed past me, I mean it. The guy literally flashed past me after beating him on our head to head ordeal clearly because the guy has to brake in order to switch lane because of another car in front of him and i let off the pedal because I was aware of how light the car felt and this was showing clearly in the car's dance. I think the car in the range did around 220km/h because the roar was something I never heard before. I was able to drag with him because I think the guy has no liver to carry on such speeds for long cos he normally relents after beating me and being ahead. It seems u won't believe until I give u proofs which I don't have because I didn't think I'll be posting this someday but when it happens again I will surely have proof.

bro, feel free to be disappointed in me.... Whatever... Its a free world, i know a camry is fast, can do 200km delimited, but then i know any sudden shudder of the steering or suspension would mean grave danger. Camrys are safe cars well engineered, handle well on the roads but not fun to drive, yet you claim your camry was waiving or fishtailing or whatever yet you came out alive to tell it. Are you Mike Schumacher or Serbastain Vettel?

Keep lying bro, it suits you.

Keep lying.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2015
Denn:

Am assuming you read his post when he wrote:
"Did a 200km/hr on abj-kd expressway in a Toyota camry 2003 while DRAGGING with a Range Rover Sport. "

Keyword was drag and its nigerianized meaning is to compete.

I would challenge the op to record a YouTube video of him doing an avg of 200kmph with the Camry for a minimum of 5 minutes.

If the 'tiny light' said he maintained an avg of 200kmph on a trip in Nigeria, I would say he lied....except its a Camry on a dyno...tied down of course
Hmm..... I've gat one question. Can you make a video of yourself doing 120km/h for just 3mins? I guess not! So why would I make a video of myself doing 200km/h if it's not your life I'm using to drive? No sir, ain't gat a death wish.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
banky3w:

I didn't see where the caption of this thread said "what is the average speed you've driven......." Judge Denn. Don't know what the big deal is about a Camry doing 200km/h because I have done a consistent 200km/h for like 2 mins before my friend actually reminded me that we were actually going for a wedding and not our own funeral in my previous 98 Camry V6. I bet daddy bought you a beemer for ur 20th birthday and you've never gotten behind the wheels of any other car since then. No offence, just saying.

I partially like your sense of humor...its made in china.

Having a BMW gift from a daddy is a blessing....don't you wish to be able to do that for your child?

Short speed bursts up to and above 200 is possible in Nigeria just before the next pot hole or uneven patch. Doing it on avg for stretch of above 10 kilometers seem 'miraculous'. That's my surmise.

200kmph for 2 minutes equal a total road lenght of almost 7 kilometres... In Nigeria.

You were reminded to slow down, it could have continued way over 10 kilometers as you were travelling at 55 metres per second. 55 friggin metres of Nigerian road every second. Think about it. You were covering 100 metres in less than 2 seconds. Bolt covers that distance in 9.58 seconds. Five times faster than Bolt.

Almost 10 kilometers non stop....no pause....no slow down....flat off...NIGERIA

Happy Sunday...

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
lomomike:

bro, feel free to be disappointed in me.... Whatever... Its a free world, i know a camry is fast, can do 200km delimited, but then i know any sudden shudder of the steering or suspension would mean grave danger. Camrys are safe cars well engineered, handle well on the roads but not fun to drive, yet you claim your camry was waiving or fishtailing or whatever yet you came out alive to tell it. Are you Mike Schumacher or Serbastain Vettel?

Keep lying bro, it suits you.

Keep lying.
Waiving or fishtailing does not mean it jumps from one lane into the other and back. Just so you know. Ask me if I be Chihuahua or German shepherd, na you sabi. As I promised, if it happens again you'll be the first to know. Na so Thomas no take believe bros J till him poke hand thru the hole weh dey bros J hand. tongue
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2015
banky3w:

Hmm..... I've gat one question. Can you make a video of yourself doing 120km/h for just 3mins? I guess not! So why would I make a video of myself doing 200km/h if it's not your life I'm using to drive? No sir, ain't gat a death wish.

I will gladly accept your challenge of a 120kmph journey avg for 3 minutes....I will use my 1977 model Mercedes Benz 200 W123. My question is will you accept my challenge to do 200kmph for 5 minutes in your Camry?
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
Denn:

I partially like your sense of humor...its made in china.

Having a BMW gift from a daddy is a blessing....don't you wish to be able to do that for your child?

Short speed bursts up to and above 200 is possible in Nigeria just before the next pot hole or uneven patch. Doing it on avg for stretch of above 10 kilometers seem 'miraculous'. That's my surmise.

200kmph for 2 minutes equal a total road lenght of almost 7 kilometres... In Nigeria.

You were reminded to slow down, it could have continued way over 10 kilometers as you were travelling at 55 metres per second. 55 friggin metres of Nigerian road every second. Think about it. You were covering 100 metres in less than 2 seconds. Bolt covers that distance in 9.58 seconds. Five times faster than Bolt.

Almost 10 kilometers non stop....no pause....no slow down....flat off...NIGERIA

Happy Sunday...
Same to you joor. Reverse daddy's policy for your child. Na Dodge challenger or Lamborghini Avantador me wan buy for my kid. I forget say na 196hp Bolt get for heart and he has tires for legs. You know these speeds and kilometers blah blah blah seems scary and all that in theory until you go practical. Speed thrills me but i always apply sense. Thanks for the sense of humor, everything comes through china these days! shocked Ubonbeleveit? Oya check your phone, tell us where it is made. tongue grin
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by banky3w(m): 4:52pm On Jul 12, 2015
Denn:

I will gladly accept your challenge of a 120kmph journey avg for 3 minutes....I will use my 1977 model Mercedes Benz 200 W123. My question is will you accept my challenge to do 200kmph for 5 minutes in your Camry?
Yes! Only if you give me one of your extra life. Happy Sunday to you. I didn't say average bro, at a stretch. My initial post didn't say I average 200km/h. cool
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2015
i don't exactly agree that there are no roads in Nigeria that one can do 160 or 180 or 200 for a couple of minutes, up to say 3 or 5 or 7 or 10. But given my experience, I am not certain roads exist which permit it to be done for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

I am not willing to say if I have done it or not, but I know such roads exist in this country.

Now speaking of the Range Rover, I have observed (I did not say I drove) a lesser vehicle reaching about 160 km/hr first then after a few seconds a Range Rover levels up and then passes it, and it wasn't until the Range Rover's driver miscalculated (by getting himself boxed in the wrong lane and being held up by a pile of cars with no room to overtake), that the other vehicle whose driver choose a different lane leveled up with the Range and then disappeared. Because the Range did overtake him but failed to scan for traffic ahead far enough and make appropriate adjustments, while the other car's driver did. I don't know how the story ended but I did observe, so that part of the story is indeed feasible.

Please check your entire suspension about the waving thing, I have had a similar experience twice :

(1) when i went into a pothole and it destroyed the left front shock absorber mount housing, causing the car to make sudden movements not occasioned by steering input like it had a mind of its own, causing me to slow down more than I would have loved to;
(2) on another occasion the bolt holding the ball joint got worn and it did the same thing.

It is suicide to drive very fast with a faulty suspension not to talk of bad tires or fluids not at appropriate levels.

10 common high performance driving errors:
http://motorsports.sae.org/articles/guest/10hperrors.htm

The Range in the scenario above failed with points 2 and 3
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by nwadiuko1(m): 12:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
Almost 200km/hr. With a v boot @ aba- owerri road.

Funny thing is that the car was like......"Is this all you can do"?
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
rainmaker12:
Who has tried 180 in lekki express way?
GUESS with a V6 or higher, it can be possible. I don't think its possible with a 4 cylinder car, but then depends on the traffic, maybe possible on the Jakande long straight

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
gmyguy:
GUESS with a V6 or higher, it can be possible. I don't think its possible with a 4 cylinder car, but then depends on the traffic, maybe possible on the Jakande long straight

Possible with a veyron or lambo or a mustang....

Using a salvage Camry on the short distances in between roundabouts and tolls and intersections is less likely

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by rainmaker12(m): 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2015
gmyguy:
1999 accord i4 engine,
at 3900 rpm [arround 12:45am on a monday]. (at 3k rpm, clocking 150, it sometimes looks like it cant go further, release d pedal and hit hard again, u ll be surprised at the bursting turbo...lol
at that rev u can hit 180+ within that distance.
i did it just after the second toll gate, heading straight to v.g.c. trust me thats the longest road available on the lekki express before any brake down like roundabout. jankande to chisco or chisco to ikate roundabout aint enough track.....
I dint record this particular speed but i recorded something similar some months back....sharing it soon.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by rainmaker12(m): 9:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
rainmaker12:

1999 accord i4 engine,
at 3900 rpm [arround 12:45am on a monday]. (at 3k rpm, clocking 150, it sometimes looks like it cant go further, release d pedal and hit hard again, u ll be surprised at the bursting turbo...lol
i did it just after the second toll gate, heading straight to v.g.c. trust me thats the longest road available on the lekki express before any brake down like roundabout. jankande to chisco or chisco to ikate roundabout aint enough track.....
I dint record this particular speed but i recorded something similar some months back....sharing it soon.

video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexLGb0BlmY or
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nxbjq5x46rblbm/acceleration.mp4?dl=0

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
rainmaker12:

1999 accord i4 engine,
i wouldn't risk that speed on such a bend/ curvy road
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 1:36am On Jul 14, 2015
rainmaker12:

video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexLGb0BlmY or
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nxbjq5x46rblbm/acceleration.mp4?dl=0

You did around 160 to 177 km per hr. (Around 110mph)

A V6 would do better.

However, try to use a GPS speedometer app next time.

It is safer and gives accurate results.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by rainmaker12(m): 11:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
Denn:

You did around 160 to 177 km per hr. (Around 110mph)

A V6 would do better.

However, try to use a GPS speedometer app next time.

It is safer and gives accurate results.

Noted
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by islandmoon: 4:38am On Jul 16, 2015
I never trust anything moving on wheel, anything can happen , so I don't do more than 140 -150

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 10:01am On Jul 17, 2015
Speedometers on cars might not be fully accurate.

Just did a lap along Abeokuta expressway.

I used a GPS speedometer on my Android.

Whilst my car speedo was recording above 180, the GPS showed 174 km/hr

Covered 32 km in 18 minutes.

Vehicle used is a 1994 Honda Accord Europe version aka bullet. Its a 4 cylinder.

Average speed is 109km and includes intra township drive

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 25, 2015
Nice one Denn I love that app what's the name?
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 7:05am On Jul 26, 2015
cne010:
Nice one Denn I love that app what's the name?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=luo.speedometergps
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by mammanbawa: 9:36am On Jul 27, 2015
i did a 220km/h in my dad's mercedes w124 500e along kalgo-bunza road in the morning with less traffic

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (43) (Reply)

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars / A Lady Drove This Killer Machine Today And Got Everyone Talking (Pic) / Ferrari F50 Abandoned In Ibadan (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.