Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,974 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. (19074 Views)

Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / "Firstborn" Does It Mean First Created? Jehovah's Witness! / Jehovah's Witnesses: the only true religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 3:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Hello friends, this thread is opened so as to create a forum where you can ask questions about Jehovah's witnesses and their believes or bible questions.
We will answer them all with the aid of your Bible, because people claim that we have our own Bible which is not true. Why should we do that when we know what:
Deuteronomy 4:2, Revelation 22:18,19 says.
You are welcome!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
Question 1:Why do you always potray the catholic church as an evil cult in your magazines?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85: Hello friends, this thread is opened so as to create a forum where you can ask questions about Jehovah's witnesses and their believes or bible questions.
We will answer them all with the aid of your Bible, because people claim that we have our own Bible which is not true. Why should we do that when we know what:
Deuteronomy 4:2, Revelation 22:18,19 says.
You are welcome!

Why do you change the word of God in your translation?

The authorised version of John 1:1 reads:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1 KJV)

Your translation (The New World Translation) reads something like this:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god (John 1:1 NWT)

Why do you change where it says the Word (Jesus Christ) was God to was a god?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by mkmyers45(m): 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
Straight from Wiki...Please Answer

Failed predictions

The beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are founded on the basis of its teachings about the second coming of Christ, the Millennium and the Kingdom of God. Watch Tower Society publications have made, and continue to make, predictions about world events they believe were prophesied in the Bible. Some of those early predictions were described as "established truth", and "beyond a doubt". Witnesses are told to accept such teachings without question[4][5][6] and face expulsion if they oppose them.
Failed predictions that were either explicitly stated or strongly implied, particularly linked to dates in 1914, 1918, 1925 and 1975, have led to the alteration or abandonment of some doctrines. The Society's publications have at times dismissed previous statements, asserting that members had "read into the Watch Tower statements that were never intended."[9] or that the beliefs of members were "based on wrong premises."[10] Other failed predictions are ignored; in the book, The Finished Mystery (1917), events were applied to the years 1918 to 1925 that earlier had been held to occur prior to 1914. When the new interpretations also failed to transpire, the 1926 edition of the book altered the statements and removed the dates.[11]
Raymond Franz, a critic and former Witness, has cited publications that claimed God has used Jehovah's Witnesses as a collective prophet.[12] Critics including James A. Beverley have accused the religion of false prophecy for making those predictions, particularly because of assertions in some cases that the predictions were beyond doubt or had been approved by God, but describes its record of telling the future as "pathetic".[13][14][15][16] Beverley says the Watch Tower Society has passed judgment on others who have falsely predicted the end of the world (he cites a 1968 Awake! that says other groups were "guilty of false prophesying" after having "predicted an 'end to the world', even announcing a specific date"wink.[17][18]
The Watch Tower Society rejects accusations that it is a false prophet.[19][20] It says its explanations of Bible prophecy are not infallible[21][22][23] and that its predictions are not claimed explicitly as "the words of Jehovah."[19] It states that some of its expectations have needed adjustment because of eagerness for God's kingdom, but that those adjustments are no reason to "call into question the whole body of truth."[24] Raymond Franz claims that the Watch Tower Society tries to evade its responsibility when citing human fallibility as a defense, adding that the Society represents itself as God's appointed spokesman, and that throughout its history has made many emphatic predictions. Franz adds that the organization's eagerness for the Millennium does not give it license to impugn the motives of those who fail to accept its predictions.[6]
George D. Chryssides has suggested widespread claims that Witnesses "keep changing the dates" are a distortion and misunderstanding of Watch Tower Society chronology. He argues that, although there have been failures in prophetic speculation, the changing views and dates of the Jehovah's Witnesses are more largely attributable to changed understandings of biblical chronology than to failed predictions. Chryssides states, "For the Jehovah’s Witnesses prophecy serves more as a way of discerning a divine plan in human history than a means to predicting the future."[25]
Predictions (by date of publication) include:
1877: Christ's kingdom would hold full sway over the earth in 1914; the Jews, as a people, would be restored to God's favor; the "saints" would be carried to heaven.[26]
1891: 1914 would be "the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men."[27]
1904: "World-wide anarchy" would follow the end of the Gentile Times in 1914.[28]
1916: World War I would terminate in Armageddon and the rapture of the "saints".[29]
1917: In 1918, Christendom would go down as a system to oblivion and be succeeded by revolutionary governments. God would "destroy the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions." Church members would "perish by the sword of war, revolution and anarchy." The dead would lie unburied. In 1920 all earthly governments would disappear, with worldwide anarchy prevailing.[30]
1920: Messiah's kingdom would be established in 1925 and bring worldwide peace. God would begin restoring the earth. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful patriarchs would be resurrected to perfect human life and be made princes and rulers, the visible representatives of the New Order on earth. Those who showed themselves obedient to God would never die.[31]
1922: The anti-typical "jubilee" that would mark God's intervention in earthly affairs would take place "probably the fall" of 1925.[32]
1924: God's restoration of Earth would begin "shortly after" October 1, 1925. Jerusalem would be made the world's capital. Resurrected "princes" such as Abel, Noah, Moses and John the Baptist would give instructions to their subjects around the world by radio, and airplanes would transport people to and from Jerusalem from all parts of the globe in just "a few hours".[33]
1938: In 1938, Armageddon was too close for marriage or child bearing.[34]
1941: There were only "months" remaining until Armageddon.[35]
1942: Armageddon was "immediately before us."[36]
1966: It would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time.[37] Time was "running out, no question about that."[38] The "immediate future" was "certain to be filled with climactic events ... within a few years at most", the final parts of Bible prophecy relating to the "last days" would undergo fulfillment as Christ's reign began.
1968: No one could say "with certainty" that the battle of Armageddon would begin in 1975, but time was "running out rapidly" with "earthshaking events" soon to take place.[39] In March 1968 there was a "short period of time left", with "only about ninety months left before 6000 years of man's existence on earth is completed".[40]
1969: Human existence would not last long enough for young people to grow old; the world system would end "in a few years." Young Witnesses were told not to bother pursuing tertiary education for this reason.[41]
1974: There was just a "short time remaining before the wicked world's end" and Witnesses were commended for selling their homes and property to "finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service."[42]
1984: There were "many indications" that "the end" was closer than the end of the 20th century.[43]
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
How can we know the difference between a true prophet and a false prophet?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Has the Watchtower Society claimed to be God’s "prophet"?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
Reyginus: Question 1:Why do you always potray the catholic church as an evil cult in your magazines?
I'll need a proof. The edition of that Watchtower (date). Here are why we don't agree with Catholic;
1. They seem to honor Mary more than Jesus Christ. Mary is the mother of Jesus, not "mother of God" Luke 1:35
2. They claim to worship God and they support war.
3. The Lord's evening meal. The holy communion is observed once in a year. Luke 22:1, 17-20, note in verse 1, "when the passover, was getting near" it shows that its a festival, festivals are not every month or week.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 8:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Why do you change the word of God in your translation?

The authorised version of John 1:1 reads:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1 KJV)

Your translation (The New World Translation) reads something like this:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god (John 1:1 NWT)

Why do you change where it says the Word (Jesus Christ) was God to was a god?

Before i say anything, you must agree that John 1:1 was talking about two characters.
And again, the original languages of the Bible were Hebrew and Greek. These two languages does not respect capital and small letters.
Now lets analyse, first, Psalms 90:2 said God has no beginning. Do you agree? John 1:1 said "In the beginning" meaning God was before that Beginning. "Was the word" Who is the word? Jesus. "the word was with who? God. And the word was God/god. Read verse 2. He was in the beginning with God. Verse 4 and 5 refers to the word as the "LIGHT" Now read verse 12. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God" verse 14 and 15 described that "word"/"light" turned flesh, dwelt among us and that John bore witness to him.
People use John 1:1 to proof that God and Jesus are equal. If you read John 1 vs 29-34. Jesus the son of God cannot be equal to God. Jesus said it himself. See Philippians 2:5&6; John 14:28; link John 10:30 with John 17:21-22. God and Jesus are not EQUAL.
So our translation is very understanding, we didn't change anything. The reason why the 2nd God was written in small letter is that after reading extensively, Jesus is a smaller god to the Almighty.
Throughout this answering, i used and quoted the RSV.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45: Straight from Wiki...Please Answer

We have anti-Jehovah's Witnesses who publishes lots of unfounded articles and quotes.
Even Jesus doesn't know the time when God will bring an end to this system of things, but he gave us signs to watchout for. Matthew 24:3,7-13. So how could Jehovah's Witnesses now pick a date on their own? Its so so impossible.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
OLAADEGBU: How can we know the difference between a true prophet and a false prophet?

Read Matthew 7:15-23. By their fruit, you will know them. Pay extra attention to verses 21-23. If all prophets are true prophets, the world would have been a better place. Because millions of people are following them. Read also Matthew 24:23-25.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 9:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
OLAADEGBU: Has the Watchtower Society claimed to be God’s "prophet"?

Jesus didn't ask us to prophesy. Matthew 24:14 says " And this good news of the kingdom (of God) will be preached in all inhabited earth for a WITNESS to all the nations; and then the end will come.
Read 1 Timothy 4:1-5. Lets analyse verse 3 and 4 "for the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, 4. And will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths. Where do you belong? WE AS JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES TALK ABOUT THE PROPHESIES IN THE BIBLE AND WE PREACH ABOUT GOD'S NEW KINGDOM. THIS IS OUR WORK JUST AS JESUS DID WHEN HE WAS HERE ON EARTH AND HE COMMANDED US TO CONTINUE.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 9:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:
Before i say anything, you must agree that John 1:1 was talking about two characters.
And again, the original languages of the Bible were Hebrew and Greek. These two languages does not respect capital and small letters.
Now lets analyse, first, Psalms 90:2 said God has no beginning. Do you agree? John 1:1 said "In the beginning" meaning God was before that Beginning. "Was the word" Who is the word? Jesus. "the word was with who? God. And the word was God/god. Read verse 2. He was in the beginning with God. Verse 4 and 5 refers to the word as the "LIGHT" Now read verse 12. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God" verse 14 and 15 described that "word"/"light" turned flesh, dwelt among us and that John bore witness to him.
People use John 1:1 to proof that God and Jesus are equal. If you read John 1 vs 29-34. Jesus the son of God cannot be equal to God. Jesus said it himself. See Philippians 2:5&6; John 14:28; link John 10:30 with John 17:21-22. God and Jesus are not EQUAL.
So our translation is very understanding, we didn't change anything. The reason why the 2nd God was written in small letter is that after reading extensively, Jesus is a smaller god to the Almighty.
I think this is a brilliant handling of the matter.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 9:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:
We have anti-Jehovah's Witnesses who publishes lots of unfounded articles and quotes.
Even Jesus doesn't know the time when God will bring an end to this system of things, but he gave us signs to watchout for. Matthew 24:3,7-13. So how could Jehovah's Witnesses now pick a date on their own? Its so so impossible.
I was enjoying you till I read this. In fact, you almost fall my hand. Nothing in that wiki extract is unfounded. Not one. You will note it is well referenced. Please read it again and write a befitting response.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:
Jesus didn't ask us to prophesy. Matthew 24:14 says " And this good news of the kingdom (of God) will be preached in all inhabited earth for a WITNESS to all the nations; and then the end will come.
Read 1 Timothy 4:1-5. Lets analyse verse 3 and 4 "for the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, 4. And will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths. Where do you belong? WE AS JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES TALK ABOUT THE PROPHESIES IN THE BIBLE AND WE PREACH ABOUT GOD'S NEW KINGDOM. THIS IS OUR WORK JUST AS JESUS DID WHEN HE WAS HERE ON EARTH AND HE COMMANDED US TO CONTINUE.

That was a trap question and I think you just bought it. Maybe you are new around here but Ola is an old warhorse in these matters and you need to be careful.
:-
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by mkmyers45(m): 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
MyJoe:
I was enjoying you till I read this. In fact, you almost fall my hand. Nothing in that wiki extract is unfounded. Not one. You will note it is well referenced. Please read it again and write a befitting response.
Im disappionted in the OP too
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
MyJoe:
Maybe i used a wrong Language. But the fact remains that nobody, i mean nobody, including Jesus Christ can tell of the time when the end will come. So how can we come out and post a date.
As for the references, for you to accept a reference, it will be justified to see the original article. I didn't choose to be a Jehovah's Witness overnight, i checked through and i was convinced. We based all our teachings on the Bible. There's no set date for the end of this system of things in the bible. You can visit our website www.jw.org and check our publication bank.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 10:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
MyJoe:
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 10:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
Another reasonable response. Just a little correction: it is the person disputing or rejecting a reference that does the checking and points out what is unfounded. Anyone reading that extract up there will accept the references as genuine if you don't do that.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
MyJoe:
That was a trap question and I think you just bought it. Maybe you are new around here but Ola is an old warhorse in these matters and you need to be careful.
:-

grin grin grin I laugh in Greek.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by mkmyers45(m): 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:
Maybe i used a wrong Language. But the fact remains that nobody, i mean nobody, including Jesus Christ can tell of the time when the end will come. So how can we come out and post a date.
As for the references, for you to accept a reference, it will be justified to see the original article. I didn't choose to be a Jehovah's Witness overnight, i checked through and i was convinced. We based all our teachings on the Bible. There's no set date for the end of this system of things in the bible. You can visit our website www.jw.org and check our publication bank.
Are you saying the dates including 1914 given by jw are false?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:

This is what John 1:1 states about the 2 characters

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

If you contend that John 1:1 should be translated as "The Word was a god," and not "The Word was God." And if you are using the same line of argument that since theos (the Greek word for God) is preceded by the definite article (the) when it first appears in the verse, and the second time it appears it is not preceded by the definite article, then you are therefore justified in translating the last part of John 1:1 "the Word was a god," because God appears without the definite article. And you claim that John 1:1 does not say anything about Jesus' identity (i.e, that He is God), but refers to a quality about Him. There are, however, no reputable authorities or translations that support the JW's translation of this verse. In fact, your NWT or similar translations sympathetic to your position have caused considerable outrage among Greek scholars because it is a major distortion of the text.

I'm not surprised that you guys don't even play by your own rules, it is inconsistently applied throughout your NWT. For example, Theos appears 6 times without the definite article in the first 18 verses of John's gospel (1,6,12,13 and twice in 18). Yet, in the NWT, it is rendered God (referring to Jehovah), not a god, in each instance except for the last clause of 1:1, when it refers to Jesus! Do you see your inconsistencies? cheesy

To remain consistent, you must hold that verse 6 should read,

"There arose a man that was sent forth as a representative of a god,"

that verse 12 should read:

"to become a god's children," and so on.

If you observe carefully you will note that the absence of the definite article does not refer to someone other than the true God. The scholarly Arndt and Gingrich Greek Lexicon, p. 357, states that theos is used "quite predominantly of the true God, sometimes with, sometimes without, the article."

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
Maximus85:

Let's see John 1:3 so as to put verse 1 in proper perspective.

"All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made"

Here you can clearly see that God created and redeemed all things by Jesus Christ.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 1:06am On Aug 08, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

This is what John 1:1 states about the 2 characters

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

If you contend that John 1:1 should be translated as "The Word was a god," and not "The Word was God." And if you are using the same line of argument that since theos (the Greek word for God) is preceded by the definite article (the) when it first appears in the verse, and the second time it appears it is not preceded by the definite article, then you are therefore justified in translating the last part of John 1:1 "the Word was a god," because God appears without the definite article. And you claim that John 1:1 does not say anything about Jesus' identity (i.e, that He is God), but refers to a quality about Him. There are, however, no reputable authorities or translations that support the JW's translation of this verse. In fact, your NWT or similar translations sympathetic to your position have caused considerable outrage among Greek scholars because it is a major distortion of the text.

I'm not surprised that you guys don't even play by your own rules, it is inconsistently applied throughout your NWT. For example, Theos appears 6 times without the definite article in the first 18 verses of John's gospel (1,6,12,13 and twice in 18). Yet, in the NWT, it is rendered God (referring to Jehovah), not a god, in each instance except for the last clause of 1:1, when it refers to Jesus! Do you see your inconsistencies? cheesy

To remain consistent, you must hold that verse 6 should read,

"There arose a man that was sent forth as a representative of a god,"

that verse 12 should read:

"to become a god's children," and so on.

If you observe carefully you will note that the absence of the definite article does not refer to someone other than the true God. The scholarly Arndt and Gingrich Greek Lexicon, p. 357, states that theos is used "quite predominantly of the true God, sometimes with, sometimes without, the article."
Are you saying that John 1:1 implies that God was with himself in the beginning and that he sent himself to the earth? Because if we are to accept the definite article "the" for the two characters then God should be with himself. If you re further, the 2nd character was refered to as the light which is Jesus. If i may ask you. Is God Almighty and Jesus Christ equal?
We need the guide of God's holy spirit to really understand the bible. Jesus is not the God. There's only one God and there is no equal.
Note that if 3 different people were to translate a sentence of English to you in Yoruba, you will get 3 different translations. Your translation may be based on your understanding of the subject matter.
Tell me if we are wrong by saying God is greater than Jesus, even when Jesus Christ himself confirmed it?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Maximus85(m): 2:19am On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45: Are you saying the dates including 1914 given by jw are false?
[b] Jerusalem was a symbol of God's rulership. 1 Chronicles 29:23. In 607 B.C.E, The Babylonians conquered Jerusalem and the representation of God's throne on earth was interupted. 2 King 25:1-26. But this interruption will not last forever. Ezekiel fortold in Ezekiel 21:26-27 about the last king of Jerusalem, Zedekiah " remove the turban, and lift off the crown....it will certainly become no one's until he comes who has the legal right, and i must give it to him. So the one who has the legal right to the Davidic crown is Jesus Christ. Luke 1:32,33.

Therefore the interuption ends when Jesus became King.
So how long will the throne remain empty? It was shown to King Nebuchadnezzar in a dream. Daniel 4:10-16. He saw an immense tree chopped down. Its stump could not grow because it was banded with iron and copper. An angel declared: "LET SEVEN TIMES PASS OVER IT" In the Bible, trees are sometimes used to represent rulership. Read Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5. Chopping down the tree represents the interuption of God's throne (Jerusalem) but it will last for SEVEN TIMES. So how long is this time?
Revelation 12:6,14 states that three and a half times equals "a thousand two hundred and sixty days"(1260days) three and a half times times 2 equals 7times that is 1260 X 2 =2520days. But this interuption didn't end in just 2520days. Numbers 14:24 and Ezekiel 4:6 speak of a day for a year, so the 7times is 2520years.
The 2520years started in the 10th month of 607 B.C.E, when Jerusalem was captured by Babylon.
From October 607 B.C.E to December 1 C.E IS 606 years and 4months. Remember B.C.E was counted backward.
From January, 1 C.E to October 1914 is 1913 years and 8months. Lets add 606yrs, 4months to 1913yrs,8months=2520years.
Meaning the 7times ended in October 1914. Jesus became King. Read Daniel 7:13,14.
Instantly war broke out in heaven, Jesus sent Satan and his demon down to the earth, and woe to the earth. Read Revelation 12:7, 9, 12.
October 1914, the first world war confirming satan's presence and rage on earth.
See how accurate it is?[/b]
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 8:42am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85:
Are you saying that John 1:1 implies that God was with himself in the beginning and that he sent himself to the earth? Because if we are to accept the definite article "the" for the two characters then God should be with himself. If you re further, the 2nd character was refered to as the light which is Jesus. If i may ask you. Is God Almighty and Jesus Christ equal?
We need the guide of God's holy spirit to really understand the bible. Jesus is not the God. There's only one God and there is no equal.
Note that if 3 different people were to translate a sentence of English to you in Yoruba, you will get 3 different translations. Your translation may be based on your understanding of the subject matter.
Tell me if we are wrong by saying God is greater than Jesus, even when Jesus Christ himself confirmed it?
Jesus did state clearly that God is greater than he is, so you are on a solid footing about this equality matter. But Ola's initial question simply raised the issue of mistranslation. His Theo post shows clearly that the NWT people translated a word to fit their church's doctrine, a fact that has led many biblical Greek scholars to lampoon the NWT. Was it right to translate Theos differently in just one verse? I think you people should address this matter before moving on to whether Trinity is true or false.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 8:52am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85:
See how accurate it is?
I very much doubt he will see it - what with that arcane mathematics up there and the wonderful linking of the Ezekiel and the Revelation. But let's keep our fingers crossed. He might just see it.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85:

This is why you need to understand and comprehend the doctrine of the Godhead.

http://www.dclm.org/AboutUs/WhatWeBelieve/TheGodHead/tabid/160/Default.aspx

Maximus85:

Are you saying because Jesus said that the Father is "greater" than Him in (John 14:28), this must mean Jesus is a lesser God or a god?

Biblically speaking, Jesus is equal with the Father in His divine nature for He was God in human form. Jesus Christ confirmed this by saying:

"I and my Father are one" (John 10:30).

He was positionally lower than the Father from the standpoint of His becoming a servant by taking on human likeness (Philipians 2:6-11).

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient to death, even the death of the cross." (Philipians 2:6-8 ).

Positionally speaking, therefore, the Father was "greater" than Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by MyJoe: 10:52am On Aug 08, 2012
Ola, since the "are one" statement and the "greater than" statement were both made while he was on the earth, why do you pick and choose one over the other, saying the father was greater because Jesus was on earth?

We are still waiting for Maximus on the Theo matter.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Nimshi: 11:21am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85: it is quite brave of you to come up here to defend your religion.

I have some questions for you.

1) Why is 1914 very important to your religion?

2) What is the disposition of your religion to child abuse; 'child abuse' being the satinised expression for the (sexual) rape of children.

3) What is the the disposition of your religion to the donation of human blood?

4) Who is the founder of your religion?

5) Who are the current leaders of your religion?

6) What is the belief of your religion regarding who will be saved at Armageddon?

7) Why do your leaders 'encourage' people who work in your missions not to have children?

8') On what dates has your religion predicted the end of the world?

I have more questions, but I give you the liberty to start with any of the ones above, according to your own priority list (I inform you in advance that this latitude to start with what you think is important has a purpose; may your God, Jehovah, be with you as you answer these questions, and my his Holy Spirit assist you in good measure).

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:28am On Aug 08, 2012
MyJoe:

Ola, since the "are one" statement and the "greater than" statement were both made while he was on the earth, why do you pick and choose one over the other, saying the father was greater because Jesus was on earth?

We are still waiting for Maximus on the Theo matter.

Good question. If you notice, Jesus Christ at times speaks in His humanity and at other times in His divinity. Biblically and positionally if you know what I mean. His is both the Son of God and the Son of man, He can speak as both at different times.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by Nimshi: 11:41am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85:
[b] Jerusalem was a symbol of God's rulership. 1 Chronicles 29:23. In 607 B.C.E, The Babylonians conquered Jerusalem and the representation of God's throne on earth was interupted. 2 King 25:1-26. But this interruption will not last forever. Ezekiel fortold in Ezekiel 21:26-27 about the last king of Jerusalem, Zedekiah " remove the turban, and lift off the crown....it will certainly become no one's until he comes who has the legal right, and i must give it to him. So the one who has the legal right to the Davidic crown is Jesus Christ. Luke 1:32,33.

Therefore the interuption ends when Jesus became King.
So how long will the throne remain empty? It was shown to King Nebuchadnezzar in a dream. Daniel 4:10-16. He saw an immense tree chopped down. Its stump could not grow because it was banded with iron and copper. An angel declared: "LET SEVEN TIMES PASS OVER IT" In the Bible, trees are sometimes used to represent rulership. Read Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5. Chopping down the tree represents the interuption of God's throne (Jerusalem) but it will last for SEVEN TIMES. So how long is this time?
Revelation 12:6,14 states that three and a half times equals "a thousand two hundred and sixty days"(1260days) three and a half times times 2 equals 7times that is 1260 X 2 =2520days. But this interuption didn't end in just 2520days. Numbers 14:24 and Ezekiel 4:6 speak of a day for a year, so the 7times is 2520years.
The 2520years started in the 10th month of 607 B.C.E, when Jerusalem was captured by Babylon.
From October 607 B.C.E to December 1 C.E IS 606 years and 4months. Remember B.C.E was counted backward.
From January, 1 C.E to October 1914 is 1913 years and 8months. Lets add 606yrs, 4months to 1913yrs,8months=2520years.
Meaning the 7times ended in October 1914. Jesus became King. Read Daniel 7:13,14.
Instantly war broke out in heaven, Jesus sent Satan and his demon down to the earth, and woe to the earth. Read Revelation 12:7, 9, 12.
October 1914, the first world war confirming satan's presence and rage on earth.
See how accurate it is?[/b]

Maximu85: no, it is not accurate. There are several problems with your response. I will get to them in another post. For now, I have this:

1) Why 607 BCE? When did your religion come upon this date as the start date? (This is not a rhetorical question, I ask so that you would respond).

2) I have a challenge from you (I confess to having leaned this challenge from a friend who had studied your religion in detail): could you tell us anything - anything - your religion wrote before 1914 about 1914 that was correct? For every one thing you write in response to this question, I will supply two falsehoods peddled by the JWs; fair deal?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses Questions And Answers Page. by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54am On Aug 08, 2012
Maximus85:
Read Matthew 7:15-23. By their fruit, you will know them. Pay extra attention to verses 21-23. If all prophets are true prophets, the world would have been a better place. Because millions of people are following them. Read also Matthew 24:23-25.

Fair enough. Let me give you extracts from yor Awake magazine when it attempted to answer this question.

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an ‘end of the world,’ even announcing a specific date. …Yet, nothing happened. The ‘end’ did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? …Missing from such people were God’s truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them" —Awake!, October 8, 1968, p. 23 **

http://4jehovah.org/images/stories/downloads/jehovahs_witness/prophecy/awake-10-8-1968-p23.pdf

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Benevolent Muslims In The House! A Christian Needs To Eat Sallah Ram / If Heaven Is Real Why Are Christians Afraid To Die?? / Biafra: Anambra Church Declares 40-Day Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.