Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,499 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

Share Your Experiences of Racism - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share Your Experiences of Racism (23245 Views)

Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / Congolese Woman Sets Herself On Fire In Protest Against Racism (Pics) / The Experiences Of Rape Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Jyde89: 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
Eiregirl:

Ok, I'm not going to continue to argue with someone with a one track mind. It's cool. Have a good day!
wonderfull answer.... @ Op and pagan 9ja, u guy's are bunch of fo0lz. Smh
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MamaDiallo(f): 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Olodostein:
On getting to the fruit section, this young white ch.ick was "joking" with my colleague and sarcastically asked him if he likes banana. The guy( Johnny just come that he is ) innocently said yes. Of course, there is nothing wrong with liking banana( iwe vitamins,lol) but she was indirectly mocking him. It didn't stop there. She went to the extent of telling this guy to hold the banana to his mouth while she takes a picture of him with her phone....... Until when i asked the stupid girl if she would like to take a picture with a Pig.....

undecided i cnt believe this really happen. human stupidity is infinite sad
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Jyde89: 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Eiregirl:

Ok, I'm not going to continue to argue with someone with a one track mind. It's cool. Have a good day!
wonderfull answer... @ op and pagan 9ja, u guy's are a bunch of fo0lz, am sure you'll do much more worse thing's to the man of colour if you were on the other end, judging by your comment's so far... Smh
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2012
MamaDiallo: I have lot of such experiences. The last one: I went in the city with my nigerian friend nd some stupid white man said "Look, u white wh*re, our men r nt enough good for u nd thats why u f*ck black monkeys, u b*tch!"
Nd i hear such bullsh*ts everytime. i dnt mind. but what made me mad, when one girl said my mixed baby is ugly black monkey, i was about to kill her. or when i take my daughter on the playground nd white mothers tell their kids to not play with my child! angry r we really in the 21st century? shocked

What town/province did that happen?

misreal: de only tym i xperienced racism was wen i wanted kpekus from my gf instead of gving me she carry go gve one other guy like dat grin
grin

somalia2: black people look at us somalis such envy and distain.
Its almost like they wana take our hair and make weaves out of it. This is the reason why we cover it.
grin
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
Venchy: e: Share Your Experiences of Racism by CAMEROONPRIDE: 4:22pm On Sep 03it's my thread go create a thread where white will complain about racism ..this is for Africans esp those abroad ...i don't see how i am racis.

Let me tell you something, the BIGGEST RACIST to black race are ultimately the BLACKS themselves.

To start with, you are been deprived by African leaders who steal your wealth and create absolute poverty in Africa, 2) Education are been reduced to the lowest, 3) No medical facilities and to sum it up THERE'S NO JOBS but the white so called people offers you a LIFELINE after your shambles education to start all over again which enables some of us to send money back home to our love ones.

Look my friend think deeply before you start any thread because BLACK TO BLACK RACISM is the worst than white....e.g

I heard that NIGERIAN companies are Employing INDIAN before any Nigerians, again that's what's called VICIOUS CIRCLE, deprivation of your right which is a CHRONIC FORM OF RACISM ....especially in Nigeria.

Government office are been held by Nigerians Leaders children.."LNG" & many more.

To me that's the biggest racism and that's why some of us find ourselves in abroad....So l give thanks to the white people for given us a lifeline.

Hey man, don't go there. Who use any means necessary and bribe their ways by giving our leaders impunity to treat their country men like this ? Oil and other companies come to Africa, exploit our leaders and cause damage. In the minds of many of these greedy people, Africans are not humans to them but mere objects to be exploited. To make their work easier and invisible, they employ and groom greedy Africans who impose on their people notwithstanding the dignity of their people in general.

Cut the root and the tree will not grow.

Some people got hopes and dreams
Some people got ways and means---- Bob marley

On the part of black on black racism, the cause is years and years of brainwashing and indoctrination that has led to this deep inferiority complex. Racism went from raw lynching to institutional.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Kslib(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
I haven't experienced such before. Oh! I forgot i'm in my fatherland... Sometimes i just feel the word racism only applies to the in-humane way the whites treat blacksbrowns. The whites say blacksbrowns are racist just to make the whole racism stuff look 50-50 when we all know it is 99 - 0.5
Well there are racist blacksbrowns too,but i believe they are just doing it in self defense due to former experiences. The whites however have no reason whatsoever. They believe we are lesser humans than they are. How i wish black brown people will wake up and prove to the world what we are made of in all aspects...

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by saintkola(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
I took my niece to school the other day & a white kid pointed at me and said loudly "A Blacky" then he said "that guy is the blackest guy here... I was so embarrassed moreso as the parents did not caution their ward.
It's funny when you close up on any lady while walking along the road, they clutch their bags tightly and look at you warily.
Not to mention whenever I'm seated on a bus, white people rarely sit beside me even when the only available seat is beside me, they'd prefer to stand.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MyzMar65(f): 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2012
i'm new here and i'm a white American...i have many Nigerian friends online and many black friends in general...i'm not racist; i'm not prejudiced...but, as a white woman who prefers black men, I have encountered many people who are not acceptable of my black friends, nor of interracial couples...the majority of those against my black friends are white people; however, I have found an extraordinary number of black females who hate the idea of a black man with a white woman...as I say, "to each his own", but EVERYBODY (white, black, green, yellow, red, purple, orange, etc.) should respect EVERYBODY'S choices; whether they agree or not.........
JUST LOVE WHO YOUR HEART TELLS YOU TO LOVE........don't try to change to conform to someone else's wants, beliefs, or opinions,

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MamaDiallo(f): 3:30pm On Sep 11, 2012
saxywale:

What town/province did that happen?

grin

grin

Prague, Czech rep..
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by CrazyMan(m): 3:31pm On Sep 11, 2012
Africans, Nigeria to be more specific are more racists than whites.

Imagine in Nigeria, a family would threaten to disown their daughter if she marries someone outside her tribe.

Media questions are asked frequently if you can marry someone whose not from your tribe. Even here on Nairaland, hundreds of topics have been created in such regard...but if a white man asks such question, we'll scream racisim. (hypocrites)

A man works for 10 years without promotion simply because he and the boss don't share similar ethnic background.

A former governor of imo state publicly announces that the ghosts jobs he's offering is strictly for imo indegins. As if other Nigerians are worthless to him.

That most Nigerians prefer to vote in corrupt leaders from their tribe than good leaders from other tribes.

That you can't hold any state government office anywhere in the country regardless of how productive you are - apart from your home state.

That admissions into higher institutions these days are strictly for indigens...other visitors as seen as excess cargo.

That tribes now are calling for their own president (eg Igbo president 2015) aren't we all Nigerians? Can't we elect one qualified leader to rule us?

That even here on Nairaland we keep attacking each other's opinions regardless of how reasonable it sounds...simply because he or she isn't from our tribe.

That most Nairalanders are quick to judge law offenders that have different ethnic background with us and defend the ones from our tribes (eg Igbo man caught with cocaine...yorubas would course them and the Igbos would fault the report)

...Yoruba man sleeps with daughter...Igbos would curse them also and yorubas would claim the story is a folly)

If you ask me, I'd say Nigerians are the worst racists in the world.

They should solve the problem of tribalism here before accusing the white man of racism...charity they say, begins at home.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MamaDiallo(f): 3:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
CrazyMan: Africans, Nigeria to be more specific are more racists than whites.

Imagine in Nigeria, a family would threaten to disown their daughter if she marries someone outside her tribe.

Media questions are asked frequently if you can marry someone whose not from your tribe. Even here on Nairaland, hundreds of topics have been created in such regard...but if a white man asks such question, we'll scream racisim. (hypocrites)

A man works for 10 years without promotion simply because he and the boss don't share similar ethnic background.

A former governor of imo state publicly announces that the ghosts jobs he's offering is strictly for imo indegins. As if other Nigerians are worthless to him.

That most Nigerians prefer to vote in corrupt leaders from their tribe than good leaders from other tribes.

That you can't hold any state government office anywhere in the country regardless of how productive you are - apart from your home state.

That admissions into higher institutions these days are strictly for indigens...other visitors as seen as excess cargo.

That tribes now are calling for their own president (eg Igbo president 2015) aren't we all Nigerians? Can't we elect one qualified leader to rule us?

That even here on Nairaland we keep attacking each other's opinions regardless of how reasonable it sounds...simply because he or she isn't from our tribe.

That most Nairalanders are quick to judge law offenders that have different ethnic background with us and defend the ones from our tribes (eg Igbo man caught with cocaine...yorubas would course them and the Igbos would fault the report)

...Yoruba man sleeps with daughter...Igbos would curse them also and yorubas would claim the story is a folly)

If you ask me, I'd say Nigerians are the worst racists in the world.

They should solve the problem of tribalism here before accusing the white man of racism...charity they say, begins at home.
This is also true...
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by topsyking: 3:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
MyzMar65: i'm new here and i'm a white American...i have many Nigerian friends online and many black friends in general...i'm not racist; i'm not prejudiced...but, as a white woman who prefers black men, I have encountered many people who are not acceptable of my black friends, nor of interracial couples...the majority of those against my black friends are white people; however, I have found an extraordinary number of black females who hate the idea of a black man with a white woman...as I say, "to each his own", but EVERYBODY (white, black, green, yellow, red, purple, orange, etc.) should respect EVERYBODY'S choices; whether they agree or not.........
JUST LOVE WHO YOUR HEART TELLS YOU TO LOVE........don't try to change to conform to someone else's wants, beliefs, or opinions,
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 11, 2012
josh4ever:

Quite similar to what I faced in Liverpool, where I would sit on a row of two seats and then a white bloke would prefer to stand rather than share the row with me... Didn't care and would even love the solitude of staying on me own...

However, most Liverpudians are friendly and I think it's just a few uninformed ones that act out their ignorance

I haven't experienced much ever, but most of the time i found it stupid and amusing
-once i was in visit to Bordeaux with my friends, we took the bus there was this white chick who was sitting on a chair and put her (single)handbag on the sit beside her, i asked her kindly to remove her thing so i could sit she got so pissed off lol took her bag and decided to stand up, so i told my friend to take her sit and we were looking and laughing at her while she was standing all confused and pissed off.

-in paris my friend and hi got into an argument with some old lady, cuz we had big suitcases and the bus was so crowded we didn't know what to do, we couldn't leave em on the hall way cuz it was quasi impossible to circulate, so we superposed the suitcases on a chair beside us so pple would circulate easily. That white women start talking nonsense with a low voice to others she was standing with, and when we heard we told her to say it to our face and that she was full of bull. We could have ignore her but the hypocrisy and foutaise of french pple is beyond irritating sometimes so we couldn't keep it inside.

-I had a white girl-friend few years ago she was introducing me to her friend who was also white, right after shaking hands i surprised her eyeballing me and swiping her hand on her clothes, so i looked at her and did the same thing, and smile back lol. A similar thing happened at church too but this time with a latino familly who had a son as dark as myself, quite unbelievable. There were standing on the row just in front of me. At "la paix du christ" part they shook hands with everybody and when they came to my level they just waved lool, so i almost burst of laugh and said low " i guess u screamed horror whenever u gave birth to your son" lool she heard and gave me a very mean look back. I ll never understand people who go to church and still practice racism inside, it's pathetic.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 11, 2012
Olodostein:
On getting to the fruit section, this young white ch.ick was "joking" with my colleague and sarcastically asked him if he likes banana. The guy( Johnny just come that he is ) innocently said yes. Of course, there is nothing wrong with liking banana( iwe vitamins,lol) but she was indirectly mocking him. It didn't stop there. She went to the extent of telling this guy to hold the banana to his mouth while she takes a picture of him with her phone.........

LMAO. that your friend na real jonny just come abroad. grin

The worst kind of racism is subtle racism. Do not be deceived by their fake smiles. The intelligent ones amongst them can be very sarcastic in ridiculing your racial identify
Yeah, this is often experienced at work/firms. Even in big multinational conglomerates where they preach multicultural b*llshit.

vislabraye:
I asked her if she hates African. She said, "I like their cock."

shymexx: Mine would take the whole thread - but once you can get bananas thrown at you, eat them, and smile back the racist neanderthals; then you know racism don't affect you...

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by topsyking: 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
MyzMar65: i'm new here and i'm a white American...i have many Nigerian friends online and many black friends in general...i'm not racist; i'm not prejudiced...but, as a white woman who prefers black men, I have encountered many people who are not acceptable of my black friends, nor of interracial couples...the majority of those against my black friends are white people; however, I have found an extraordinary number of black females who hate the idea of a black man with a white woman...as I say, "to each his own", but EVERYBODY (white, black, green, yellow, red, purple, orange, etc.) should respect EVERYBODY'S choices; whether they agree or not.........
Well..since u like blackman..I will like to know you baby...halla me
toseg101@yahoo.co.uk..on facebook
Halla

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
MamaDiallo:

Prague, Czech rep..

Cool. One of the cities I hope to visit soon.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2012
MamaDiallo:

Hahaha.... You shouldn't be surprise, it happens day in day out.

You know, the jews were ridiculed to the extent that the word Jew became toxic in public discourse and we all saw how things unfolded.

Today, you have to be very careful on the tone by which you utter the word "Jew" or else the anti-defamation league will come after you. Blacks just need to wise up and listen to the coded words uttered by respectable "public" officials.

Thilo sarazin wrote a book couple of years ago in Germany and it became bestseller. Hahaha 21century indeed.

Anyways, i believe Green Economy, politics and philosophy will redeem us all.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
MamaDiallo:

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Venchy: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
wonderfull answer.... @ Op and pagan 9ja, u guy's are bunch of fo0lz. Smh, i have no doubt you'll do much more worse thing's to the man of colour if you were at the other side.

Thank you jyde89 for your open mind and ignore some FOOLS that think the worst doesn't happen in their country or among Blacks.

There's good and the Bad everywhere and I can't tell you that I'm a Nigerian born and bread in Lagos....Think of the worst scenario, you'll find it among the Blacks.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MamaDiallo(f): 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
saxywale:

Cool. One of the cities I hope to visit soon.
come only for holiday or study. here is nothing grin
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by norrisman: 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
None a dem a mess wid me.

I am black, got dreads and got scars on my forehead from accidents when I was young. I travel the Tube with a screw face and no one phucks with me! I love it

Although if yawah gas, I go ja or beg dem because me I lazy die!
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MrHim(m): 3:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
@Jallobah, with a back side like yours, i wouldn't mind any type of racism with you...no disrespect wink
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
MamaDiallo:
come only for holiday or study. here is nothing grin

I had friends from Czech at uni on some Erasmus exchange program. Deffo for holiday and not more than a week.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by petnkool: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
JallowBah: How are these pics showing racism?
The first one, I would need a stiry on..for all I know, he might be a young boy who is lost, and they dont know where his parents are.
The second; I am guessing the dude smelled like shit..

My husband has gotten some racism, yes. Or discrimination, it depends how you see it.
- People have asked him if he sells drugs when he is walking alone with the pram, and the baby in it. Just because he is black.
- People tells me to be careful maybe he only want me for papers in EU. Just because he is black.
- People have denied him access to pubs, saying they dont want his kind there. Again, black.
- People have asked if I am being forced to wear a hijab now that we are married. - Muslim.
- People have moved away when he sits down on the bus, I would dare to think because he is black.

I have had racism against me for being white to, from black men and women.
But, thats probably not what you were after.

True, I agree racism comes vice versa . I am black living in the U.S and in the city where I live , there are very few blacks and I have not faced any racial discrimination so far .My point is this , my wife , who is white, sometimes last year came down to Africa and faced discrimination in the plane by our black woman. They hissed at her and call her names . So racism comes from both ends and I think it is gradually becoming history only for the ones that are still living in the past .
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by MamaDiallo(f): 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2012
saxywale:

I had friends from Czech at uni on some Erasmus exchange program. Deffo for holiday and not more than a week.
thats good then wink hope u ll have nice time here smiley
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by pdone: 4:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
Instead of discussing Racism, why not discuss the good deeds of other race or nations towards us. In what why can this topic help us? Seun in order to gain traffic, you also promote a thread that causes anger and hatred every time. Most of the time all we see here is Hausa man this, Yoruba man that, Igbo man suck, Somalia this, White people do this, black people do that.

There a good people and bad people everywhere. Stop the hating people and stop the promoting Seun !

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2012
I dont like Lebanese people.

And Arabs.

And Pakis.

And Fulani.

I hate them.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
Kslib: I haven't experienced such before. Oh! I forgot i'm in my fatherland... Sometimes i just feel the word racism only applies to the in-humane way the whites treat blacksbrowns. The whites say blacksbrowns are racist just to make the whole racism stuff look 50-50 when we all know it is 99 - 0.5
Well there are racist blacksbrowns too,but i believe they are just doing it in self defense due to former experiences. The whites however have no reason whatsoever. They believe we are lesser humans than they are. How i wish black brown people will wake up and prove to the world what we are made of in all aspects...

Somebody can only make you feel inferior if you yourself have an inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 11, 2012
pdone: Instead of discussing Racism, why not discuss the good deeds of other race or nations towards us. In what why can this topic help us? Seun in order to gain traffic, you also promote a thread that causes anger and hatred every time. Most of the time all we see here is Hausa man this, Yoruba man that, Igbo man suck, Somalia this, White people do this, black people do that.

There a good people and bad people everywhere. Stop the hating people and stop the promoting Seun !

Oh yea , man we understand all that.... Lets just pretend like everything is FUNDAMENTALLY alright and sing Kumbayah all night.

We know, there are good and bad everywhere even amongst families.

But it becomes something else when it is systematic, institutional and inbred philosophy that is part and parcel of discourse at dinner table or codedly worded on national TV.

Why is it that whenever there is an economic downturn, sympathy for far right groups increase ? Must history always repeat itself to the detriment of our lackadiasical attitude toward tackling issues from the root? Some guys hidden intention in the US army were unconvered, because they intentionally joined to prepare for you know what.

Anyways, Green Economy, politics and philosophy will redeem us all : A peaceful, equitable, natural and prosperous world for us and mother nature.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2012
It's amazing how people blame all their past and present troubles on whites. Mind u, we are the ones that sold our own people to them (now how horrible is that).
They didn't set fire to our villages and take the spoils, we sold our people for mirrors and gun power (not very differnt from what we do now). So how is it their fault. How are they the wicked devils when we are not any better.
Because its highly probable that if we had been in their shoes, white people would probably still be slaves by now considering the amount of gullible people in africa.
Besides if u hate them so much why are u in their country?
Why not stay in your country where there is so much poverty and corruption because you can't shake, talk to or marry someone who is not from ur tribe?
The fact is that if africa remained unexpored u would not have or even know what a phone or computer is talkess of type trash into it.
I am not saying u should worship them, but do not hate on people senselessly. Respect every race and look at their bright sides.
If they are leading in the world right now it is because they earned it.
Do not be so hot with envy but think and work towards making a better name for ur race.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by canadaik(m): 5:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: yes angry angry ..Africans or so called 1/3 world are the only victims...

this shows your level of ignorance, you should be in the learning abput what the term racism means before speaking about it
, asians in europe or america sometimes face racism for your info.

p.s. I live in canada, and thy are one of the nicest people on earth, no ecperience of racism
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Dukeofgarri: 5:11pm On Sep 11, 2012
inurmind: It's amazing how people blame all their past and present troubles on whites. Mind u, we are the ones that sold our own people to them (now how horrible is that).
They didn't set fire to our villages and take the spoils, we sold our people for mirrors and gun power (not very differnt from what we do now). So how is it their fault. How are they the wicked devils when we are not any better.
Because its highly probable that if we had been in their shoes, white people would probably still be slaves by now considering the amount of gullible people in africa.
Besides if u hate them so much why are u in their country?
Why not stay in your country where there is so much poverty and corruption because you can't shake, talk to or marry someone who is not from ur tribe?
The fact is that if africa remained unexpored u would not have or even know what a phone or computer is talkess of type trash into it.
I am not saying u should worship them, but do not hate on people senselessly. Respect every race and look at their bright sides.
If they are leading in the world right now it is because they earned it.
Do not be so hot with envy but think and work towards making a better name for ur race.
Ok, I agree with your post very well, but ummm we should all look at their bright side, i accept that. But what about the dark side? we should close our eyes and act like nothing happened? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ghanaian King, Céphas Bansah Rules Via Skype From Germany, Builds Jail For Women / History And The List Of The Past 14 Aare Ona Kakanfo Before Gani Adams / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.