Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... (12447 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Can You Change Your Present Religion For $50.....??? / Religion For Atheists. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 03, 2013
Redmosquito: Strictlymine
first of all, dont call me "sir" jare, u make me look old

Good morning RedM,
Sorry about the 'sir' my intent is not to make you feel old but if it does that to you then I apologize and will try to exclude it from our conversations going forward.

Redmosquito:
secondly and more importantly, religion was fueled by the need to link up to a supernatural being, but man knew almost nothing about the supernatural being and then he forged it simply from his thoughts, bringing forth the bloodthirsty baal of palestinia, to the decapitating grounds of the mayans and the sexism of arabs to the warfields of isreal, all fueled by a God they knew almost nothing, a God they made in their own likeness.

This is your thought on the matter and like I said before you have every right to your personal opinion. Now, my personal opinion is that the link with the supernatural (specifically, God) wouldn't have been assuming God did not make himself known to man. The atrocities performed by some persons in the past is inexcusable but still it does not undermine the existence of God.

Redmosquito:
As for the bible, Do you really know how the bible was put together? Do you?

Well RedM I do know how sacred scriptures was put together but really the more I comment on some of the points you raise the more I feel there is a need to get the discuss back on track.

Aren't we derailing this thread?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:21am On Jan 03, 2013
Good morning all,
I guess we really can't have a pleasant discuss on the topic for which the thread was created. Well I understand why tempers will keep on rising but really guys (Christians, Atheists, Agnostics etc) arguing with emotions will get us nowhere.

I am out!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Mrblunt1: 10:26am On Jan 03, 2013
While there is a little bit of sense in this post, the author is partially retarded. Religon has nothing to do with the man that has choosen the path of laziness., As a matter of fact there are thousands of hard working Christians, Afterall (Prov 10:5 KJV) He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame). He that is truly religious would obey the instructions of the Lord, so in summary a lazy man is not a religious man in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by larride(m): 10:27am On Jan 03, 2013
Red-Moss

Go and update that your tori abeg.

Sorry for derailing
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2013
larride: Christianity is not a religion. Christainity is a way of life. After the death of christ, his discples were called followers of chirst, when they got to antioch and the people there saw their behavior, they said they are christ-like which in-turn makes every followers of Christ a christain. Apostle Paul says we should check ourselves daily maybe we are still in Christ. Jesus had laid down princples for us, to guide us and make us a better person. His greatest commandment is LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF, christainity is being like christ, following in the foot-step on christ himself, go and read the 4 first gospel in the new testament and see the teaching of christ, his admonition with an open heart, then maybe you will understand more. Its our FAITH that makes us whole, when I pray to good for healing, I have faith in him that he will make me whole and he did, God answers prayers. Christianity to me isn't a religion but a way of life.

Christianity is not a religion?

Please, tell your churches to pay taxes then and also tell them to stop having religious practices like tithing, communion, worship etc
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 03, 2013
larride:

Don't mind then jare. I have a question for all the athesit in the house.

Corruption
Murder
Adultery
Fornication
Idolatery
Robbery

Are these things right?? The bible clearly states that they are wrong, if we follow what the bible says and get rid of these, won't our community be a better place. We say we are free thinkers and yet our society is the bane of immoral acts

Slavery
Genocide
Racism
Discrimination based on religion

The bible supports of all these
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma: Or maybe we should ban "democracy" since it leads to the election of these our leaders?

No need: once we ban religion, all our leaders will always be the best and world class visionaries.

"To insist that religion is peculiarly malignant is fanaticism, or mere stupidity." --- John Gray.

Straw man., You must be peculiarly ignorant if you think that what atheist have been saying since you have been arguing with them over the years on NL

While i dont agree with banning religion because of human rights and freedom of expression, religion carries both positive and negative consequences.

What we need is a truly secular country. Religion will destroy a society if not checked. You can look at theocracies or sharia law.

Your chrsitianity has positive effects like charity and love but the negative effects are;

-destruction of culture (our local shrines that could serve as tourist centres being destroyed by chrsitians)
-witch beating or slapping (oyedepo comes to mind)
-tithe fraud
-masses accepting suffering because they are thinking of heaven rather than focusing on the issues of this life.

1 Like

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma:

1. NEPA (or PH whatever) is not working: answer --- just ban religion, and NEPA will start working with total efficiency

2. Nigerian Airways is moribund: answer --- just ban religion and . . .

3. There is corruption in the Nigerian Ports Authority: answer --- just ban religion.
Ha oga but wait a minute, why don't we ban politics for this one because it is politics that causes them to appoint useless people as leaders.
Noooooo!!! Just ban religion and everything will be alright!

4. GSM is becoming a joke: answer --- you know what to do; ban religion?

"To insist that religion is peculiarly malignant is fanaticism, or mere stupidity." --- John Gray.

Straw man., You must be peculiarly ignorant if you think that what atheist have been saying since you have been arguing with them over the years on NL

While i dont agree with banning religion because of human rights and freedom of expression, religion carries both positive and negative consequences.

What we need is a truly secular country. Religion will destroy a society if not checked. You can look at theocracies or sharia law.

Your chrsitianity has positive effects like charity and love but the negative effects are;

-destruction of culture (our local shrines that could serve as tourist centres being destroyed by chrsitians)
-tithe fraud
-masses accepting suffering because they are thinking of heaven rather than focusing on the issues of this life
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lolololol, it is so funny how they can't see that in their hatred for religion, they have evolved into the very same intolerant bigotted fanatics that they hope to rid the world of.

Really, is that what you believe about NL atheists after year of debating them? You think we all want to ban religion?

Mtchew
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 10:55am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

-tithe fraud

-masses accepting suffering because they are thinking of heaven rather than focusing on the issues of this life.
Straw man! Please show from the bible evidence of Christ recommending the highlighted. If you cannot, then you are lying against Christianity in order to promote your agenda.

...and for the part in red tell us exactly why it is negative for the country if a man chooses to believe in heaven. Why does it anger you what a man chooses to believe in his own heart? Are you against freedom of belief?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 10:58am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:
Really, is that what you believe about NL atheists after year of debating them? You think we all want to ban religion?
Mtchew
Then why do you tell lies against it?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 10:59am On Jan 03, 2013
"It is only the illiteracy* of the current generation of atheists that leads them to think religious practitioners must be stupid or thoughtless." ----- John Gray

*Yep: illiteracy (or at least illiteracy in the sense of intellectual and historical ignorance) - otherwise no sensible person will fail to acknowledge that the first nations to industrialise and "develop" did so at a time when religion was important in those coutries and their citizens were religious. And even to this day religion remains significant in notable respects in many such countries including the UK, America etc smiley
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Straw man! Please show from the bible evidence of Christ recommending the highlighted. If you cannot, then you are lying against Christianity in order to promote your agenda.

...and for the part in red tell us exactly why it is negative for the country if a man chooses to believe in heaven. Why does it anger you what a man chooses to believe in his own heart? Are you against freedom of belief?

Wait, are you denying that this happens to millions of Nigerians who accept their lot?

~Did Jesus not say to forget worldy desires if you want to follow the Son of man?

Christians keep trying to edit their bible to defend it.

Mr_Anony:

See how you spin things?

1) Did I not say that it is wrong to ban religion based on freedom of expression and human rights?

2) As for the part in red, I like ho you graciously accepted that the other things are mentioned are indeed problems that christianity brings by avoiding them

3) My problem is not belief in heaven or the afterlife. You lie and spin so much

4) My problem is the brainwashing done by pastors and religious leaders to make people not focus on their present life and rather give all they have to the church or authorities because they will have a better life in the afterlife
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 11:07am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Please, tell your churches to pay taxes then and also tell them to stop having religious practices like tithing, communion, worship etc

Please also tell your churches to pay taxes and stop having religious practices like sunday school and evangelism
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma: "It is only the illiteracy* of the current generation of atheists that leads them to think religious practitioners must be stupid or thoughtless." ----- John Gray

*Yep: illiteracy (or at least illiteracy in the sense of intellectual and historical ignorance) - otherwise no sensible person will fail to acknowledge that the first nations to industrialise and "develop" did so at a time when religion was important in those coutries and their citizens were religious. And even to this day religion remains significant in notable respects in many such countries including the UK, America etc smiley

They developed when they started to turn away from religion and focus on science. Religion doesnt industrialize countries, science does.

Quoting people doesnt make you smart. Infact, doing it too much shows you cant make solid arguments yourself
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Please also tell your churches to pay taxes and stop having religious practices like sunday school and evangelism

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2013
One more quote from John Gray (an atheist himself by the way). smiley

"[De Botton's] spirited and refreshingly humane book aims to show that religion serves needs that an entirely secular life cannot satisfy. He will not persuade those for whom atheism is a militant creed. Such people are best left with their certainties, however childish."

cool
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 11:14am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wait, are you denying that this happens to millions of Nigerians who accept their lot?

~Did Jesus not say to forget worldy desires if you want to follow the Son of man?

Christians keep trying to edit their bible to defend it.

See how you spin things?

1) Did I not say that it is wrong to ban religion based on freedom of expression and human rights?

2) As for the part in red, I like ho you graciously accepted that the other things are mentioned are indeed problems that christianity brings by avoiding them

3) My problem is not belief in heaven or the afterlife. You lie and spin so much

4) My problem is the brainwashing done by pastors and religious leaders to make people not focus on their present life and rather give all they have to the church or authorities because they will have a better life in the afterlife
Good....I asked you that question so as to expose your hypocrisy. From one side of your mouth you believe in freedom of thought and from the other side of your mouth you count it as a negative for one to hold certain thoughts.

It seems that for you, people are free to reason as long as they reason your way.

You don't really have a problem with brainwashing, you only wish your brand of brainwashing had pre-eminence
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma: One more quote from John Gray (an atheist himself by the way). smiley

"[De Botton's] spirited and refreshingly humane book aims to show that religion serves needs that an entirely secular life cannot satisfy. He will not persuade those for whom atheism is a militant creed. Such people are best left with their certainties, however childish."

cool

Have you noticed that religious apologists (Enigma, Adam Deen, Dinesh D'souza and William Criag) not only love to quote others to forward a simple argument but also quote any athiest that praises religion or makes a criticism about some other atheists?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 11:15am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

They developed when they started to turn away from religion and focus on science. Religion doesnt industrialize countries, science does.

Quoting people doesnt make you smart. Infact, doing it too much shows you cant make solid arguments yourself
Do you mean the same way you often qoute wikipedia?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2013
^^^ Talking about hypocrisy, I remember him and another poster hailing chukwudi44 (against me) for argumentation by quotation and here talking about quotation meaning not being able to argue.

Anyway, too childish/juvenile for me to bother with.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Good....I asked you that question so as to expose your hypocrisy. From one side of your mouth you believe in freedom of thought and from the other side of your mouth you count it as a negative for one to hold certain thoughts.

It seems that for you, people are free to reason as long as they reason your way.

You don't really have a problem with brainwashing, you only wish your brand of brainwashing had pre-eminence

Where did I say that it is negative to hold certain thoughts? It is the actions I focus on. I have family that follow Jesus and believe in heaven, they are hardworking and not wiating for manna. They are not brainwashed by prosperity pastors and they read the bible and other books outside the bible.

My problem are with actions; ignoring problems of this life that affect the family and the nation or brainwashing people to forget improtant things in their lives.

I do not brainwash people. Unlike any pastor or even you, I tell people to look at the evidence for themselves. I give people what aoplogists or preachers can never give- advice to people to free themselves. I dont tell people to look at me but look at the evidence- read your bible, read scientific books, read the news look at facts.

As for policing thoughts, your bible does that well. We al know how your bible descries fornication..
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Do you mean the same way you often qoute wikipedia?

Quoting wikipedia?

When did simple referencing a basic encyclopedia end up being the same as quoting people when one cant make an argument?

You lie and spin so much
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Talking about hypocrisy, I remember him and another poster hailing chukwudi44 (against me) for argumentation by quotation and here talking about quotation meaning not being able to argue.

Anyway, too childish/juvenile for me to bother with.

There is a difference in quiting to back up your facts and qouting people when you cant make an argument.

Christians.... cry
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 03, 2013
RELIGION IS NOT AFRICAS PROBLEM. RELIGION IS JUST A SOLACE FOR THOSE TROUBLED BY AFRICAS PROBLEMS
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 11:30am On Jan 03, 2013
One more quote from John Gray. smiley

"The church of humanity is a prototypical modern example of atheism turned into a cult of collective self-worship. If this ersatz faith came to nothing, it was not because of practical difficulties. Religions are human creations. When they are consciously designed to be useful, they are normally short-lived. The ones that survive are those that have evolved to serve enduring human needs - especially the need for self-transcendence.

That is why we can be sure the world's traditional religions will be alive and well when evangelical atheism is dead and long forgotten."

cool
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 03, 2013
obadiah777: RELIGION IS NOT AFRICAS PROBLEM. RELIGION IS JUST A SOLACE FOR THOSE TROUBLED BY AFRICAS PROBLEMS

Even Obadiah gets the memo. Religion is a tool at the end of the day. A tool that cant solve Africa's problem
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma: One more quote from John Gray. smiley

"The church of humanity is a prototypical modern example of atheism turned into a cult of collective self-worship. If this ersatz faith came to nothing, it was not because of practical difficulties. Religions are human creations. When they are consciously designed to be useful, they are normally short-lived. The ones that survive are those that have evolved to serve enduring human needs - especially the need for self-transcendence.

That is why we can be sure the world's traditional religions will be alive and well when evangelical atheism is dead and long forgotten."

cool

Someone hasnt looked at the polls and censuses. The fastest growing "religion" is no religion lipsrsealed

Typical. This is what you get from quoting people rather than looking at the evidence
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 11:34am On Jan 03, 2013
Ah, and I should throw in my favourite one more time. smiley

"To insist that religion is peculiarly malignant is fanaticism, or mere stupidity." --- John Gray
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 11:34am On Jan 03, 2013
striktlymi:

Well RedM I do know how sacred scriptures was put together but really the more I comment on some of the points you raise the more I feel there is a need to get the discuss back on track.

Aren't we derailing this thread?

derailing? how? we are optimiszing the use of this thread! And by the way, why u wan run commot? Did I mingle my emotions in my argument? i spoke purely objectively, I no call names or stuff like dat na! Oya come back make we finish this thing, na only you never abuse person yet, NA u I wan face grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 11:35am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Texas_Church_of_Freethought
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Even Obadiah gets the memo. Religion is a tool at the end of the day. A tool that cant solve Africa's problem
NEITHER WILL GETTING RID OF RELIGION SOLVE AFRICAS PROBLEMS SO I DONT SEE THE POINT OF THE THREAD undecided .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Pastor Ignila Gives Botswana Widow $1000, Gives Her Son Scholarship (Pics) / Religion Vs Jesus Christ - Important / What's Wrong With Sitting At The Back During A Church Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.