Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! - Foreign Affairs (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! (44072 Views)

Disney To Boycott Georgia Over Gay Marriage Bill / Libyans Will Regret What They Did To Ghadafi.! / Ladies Boycott Every News Network, Demand Handsome Anchors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (30) (Go Down)

Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by GoldCircle: 10:19am On May 21, 2008
wetin dem dey do there?? Make dem come back home!! We no drive dem comot from 9JA! If SA no want una, make una come home! 9JA needs U!
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 21, 2008
How interesting the way we think differently. . . .@Londoner, @Senator_JD, @Mpele etc I do respect and understand your views on this issue, but I think our responses (Xiomarra, Kobojunkie's etc) are based on the fact that our Nation itself is "faulty!" Though, we're almost saying the same thing here, but from different angles and approaches! And, I feel there is no need for us to compare ourselves with other nations, because we do know ourselves better. . . .and understand the situation of things in Naija. My suggested solution is that, our Government should rise up to their task, and every Citizens too, should endeavour to help Nigeria become better in every possible way, because had it been, (I REPEAT) that things were working pretty fine in here. . the number of Nigerian immigrants in other nations would be reduced drastically compare to what it is now! hence, they wouldn't have been exposed to attack.

Nice day out there!
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Tornadoz(m): 12:37pm On May 21, 2008
@OlowoTee
Abi o my sister. The whole agberos in Nigeria have traveled to SA to hustle and expect to be treated as kings. The killings, repugnant as it seems, should be a wake up call to us.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by otokx(m): 1:11pm On May 21, 2008
Why are we leaving our country?
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by londoner: 1:31pm On May 21, 2008
To be honest, it seems like the mobs targeted legitimate businesses belonging to foreigners. People who commit crimes are usually deported or arrested, unless its an uncivilised country ofcourse.

Lets be honest, these mobs know where Nigerian criminals are and where they reside. They also know that they are armed and dangerous, I can bet money that none of these people were targetted. Instead ordinary people and immigrants were. These people are cowards. If you target someone's shop, you know they are in gainful employment, which Nigerian gangster or Drugs kingpin did they target? None probably, so lets be real here.

What concerns me even more is the complete lack of sympathy these people had for Zimbabwean refugees. To have women laughing while a man burns alive is just sick, for someone to set a six month old baby alight is sick, to beat someone unconscious, drag them into their home, lock the door then set the house on fire is sick. To rape women simply for being foreign is sick.

I would not be surprised if opposition is fuelling this, apparently some people are saying they were paid to attack foreigners.

Maybe people are trying to tie two different issues together, where they should not be.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by morpheus24: 1:55pm On May 21, 2008
londoner:

Mpele, people are just appauled, sometimes people speak out of anger. Dont worry, we are not going to start burning your footie players (I hope). I think we all know that its a minority who are doing the killing. However, I must say that there is a culture of xenphobia where South Africans are concerned, especially towards other Black Africans. Many tend to believe they are superior. I think you even alluded to that attitude earlier on. Having said that, that is not the issue. I see no change for the good in Africa unless we start to value lives of those in Black skin. That goes for every African country, including my own.

We tend to skirt around the real issues, because no matter how much we are frustrated we tend to protect the very classes who are keeping all the wealth, whether Black or White.

Its always easier to lash out at the ones closest to us, if you are poor, the rich are too far out of reach to touch, both physically and psychologically.

Mark my words, Black South Africans will soon turn in on themselves.

Londoner , I have been reading most of your posts and you are spot on regarding what is really going on in S. Africa.
do independent studies on African history and politics and its good to see someone who can really presents genuine insights and analysis into this matter without prejudice. The last statement you made concerning the South Africans turning on themselves is almost an inevitability.

Soon it will become Zulu against xhosa, ndebele, Tshwane, coloreds, indians and so on, if this trend continues. The reason it never spills into the white communities is that they will under no circumstances tolerate it, plus they have the political and military backing from other developed countries who have an economic stake in the country and will not let it that happen.

South Africa is a very young democracy and is vulnerable to all the problems that have plagued such democracies, I will not be surprised if somewhere in the near future they don't spiral into a civil war, I mean judging from history almost which African country hasn't for some reason fallen victim to this phenomenon.

Mbeki looks wornout, if he is a true leader he will confront this problems vigorously knowing fully well that if he does not, he will be allowing more problems to arise as time goes on. Zuma ain't helping out too much and his "man of the people" appeal is fading amongst other ethnic groups in S. Africa. During Apartheid the different groups had a commont enemy which fostered their unity now there is no more bougeyman.

Personally I think the world cup should be boycotted or even still taken away from them. It doesn't seem the government is visibly working hard enough to prove they deserve it. Their eyes are on the revenue that will be generated.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by tpia: 2:26pm On May 21, 2008
Tornadoz:

@OlowoTee
Abi o my sister. The whole agberos in Nigeria have traveled to SA to hustle and expect to be treated as kings. The killings, repugnant as it seems, should be a wake up call to us.

look here, so what if Nigerian agberos travelled to South Africa? (ignoring all the gainfully employed Nigerians doing legitimate business or studying there of course. It seems a lot of people here only know agberos- maybe they are agberos themselves).

is that any reason why they should be murdered and roasted in broad daylight? Does South Africa not have its own agberos and are they attacked by mobs in this manner?

the point which many of you are failing to understand here is that there is a breakdown of law and order, and the government of South Africa needs to step up and do something about it.

A criminal is supposed to be tried in a court of law, not matcheted and burnt on the streets in a display of barbarism. And besides. the person could be innocent- he isnt given a chance to defend himself before being attacked by the killers.

Thats the problem when people spend their time complaining about everything. After a while it becomes a habit thats difficult to drop no matter how ridiculous you sound.

All the people screaming go home go home- millions of people should just come home immediately with no solid plan or infrastructure and turn into refugees to be roasted at whim, abi. angry

[s]some folks need to think before they open their mouths.[/s]
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by malaika(f): 2:28pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

Londoner is right, if our government does'nt act South Africa will have a civil war. Signs are already there. For instance the Sotho speaking group is found in SA and Lesotho, the Tswana group in SA and Botswana, the Shaangans in both SA and Mozambique and the Ndebele and the Zulus are also found in Zimbabwe. This means that we are attacking our brothers. Even now Ndebele South Africans are being attacked.

South African Indians who are approx; 4 Million have had a good relationship with black South Africans, but now guese what? they are now also being attacked by these raging lunatics. I'm saying that it should happen but I ask myself on why white people are not attacked. I'm telling you if white people where attacked, Britain and the USA would've been the first to condemn. Our government would've unleashed the army into the townships.

Now they're just saying oh! these are lowly litttle Africans, (Lets just send in a bunch of policemen with rubber bullets). This country used to be in the good hands of the white government and also Nelson Mandela. To tell the truth, our lives used to be so nice during the apartheid era. I was born in that era, and I'm telling you, we used to move freely, no crime to speak of. During the white government the influx of foreigners was controlled. Nigerians who were here, were the ones who came to work. For instance I can't just come to Nigeria without a purpose. I must come there to contribute to the economic growth of the country.

Mpele, awume kancane bo. You can't seriously be thinking that! shocked How soon we forget! Police are now using rubber bullets to disperce the marauding crowds. Don't you remember a time when live ammunition was used to disperse crowds, when police had carte blanche to shoot indiscriminately at anything black that moved? The country may have seemed to be in good hands because the government only cared about 10% of the population while the other 90% was considered less than human. Was it in good hands because you were not allowed to swim where you liked? Not allowed to study want you wanted to at Varsity? Eat where you wanted? and even move around your country freely without a dompas? Anyway, let me not start but please don't let me hear you say that again!

I agree though that sooner or later SAns will turn on themselves, there will be an inter-tribal war.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On May 21, 2008
OlowoTee:

How interesting the way we think differently. . . .@Londoner, @Senator_JD, @Mpele etc I do respect and understand your views on this issue, but I think our responses (Xiomarra, Kobojunkie's etc) are based on the fact that our Nation itself is "faulty!" Though, we're almost saying the same thing here, but from different angles and approaches! And, I feel there is no need for us to compare ourselves with other nations, because we do know ourselves better. . . .and understand the situation of things in Naija. My suggested solution is that, our Government should rise up to their task, and every Citizens too, should endeavour to help Nigeria become better in every possible way, because had it been, (I REPEAT) that things were working pretty fine in here. . the number of Nigerian immigrants in other nations would be reduced drastically compare to what it is now! hence, they wouldn't have been exposed to attack.

Nice day out there!

Thank you for that. I believe the African problem is we continue to approach issues from a sentimental angle without consulting reason to understand what the problem is and best possible solutions. Looking at this issue, one can clearly see it has to do with serious problems in leadership, which is same all over africa. To solve the problem, all leaders have to step up to the plate or we will find ourselves going round and round in circles.

It is Xenophobia today, next tommorow, it will be tribal issues and so on and the barbaric killings continue.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by tpia: 2:41pm On May 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Thank you for that. I believe the African problem is we continue to approach issues from a sentimental angle without consulting reason to understand what the problem is and best possible solutions.

you dont seem to realize you're one of the most sentimental people here. undecided

you harbor excessively negative sentiments towards Blacks in general and Nigeria in particular, so no need to start pretending like you yourself are a reasonable fellow.You are not.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by joshjosh(m): 2:44pm On May 21, 2008
tpia:

you don't seem to realize you're one of the most sentimental people here. undecided

you harbor excessively negative sentiments towards Blacks in general and Nigeria in particular, so no need to start pretending like you yourself are a reasonable fellow.You are not.

mmmmmmmmmmmm what a word
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Mpele(m): 2:47pm On May 21, 2008
You can voice your anger in anyway you like about the attacks. You can insult us anyway you like, but hands off the 2010 wolrd cup. If want to see war then just try to temper with it. Sepp Blatter made it clear on Monday that the world cup is on full steam. I'm beggining to see an element of jelousy from Nigerians about the world cup. If Nigerians don't like the fact that 2010 is coming here then tough luck. If you say the world cup must be taken away from us then where should it go, to your country. Nigeria can't even host the AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS.

THERE WORLD CUP WILL GO ON. GET THAT INTO YOUR THICK SKULLS

Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by londoner: 2:51pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele, was that completely necessary?
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by holythug(m): 2:55pm On May 21, 2008
well then u can also smile wit nigerian corpses' on ur roads . . .i guess u r happy wit dat
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:01pm On May 21, 2008
malaika:

Mpele, awume kancane bo. You can't seriously be thinking that! shocked How soon we forget! Police are now using rubber bullets to disperce the marauding crowds. Don't you remember a time when live ammunition was used to disperse crowds, when police had carte blanche to shoot indiscriminately at anything black that moved? The country may have seemed to be in good hands because the government only cared about 10% of the population while the other 90% was considered less than human. Was it in good hands because you were not allowed to swim where you liked? Not allowed to study want you wanted to at Varsity? Eat where you wanted? and even move around your country freely without a dompas? Anyway, let me not start but please don't let me hear you say that again!

I agree though that sooner or later SAns will turn on themselves, there will be an inter-tribal war.

My dear I was also horrified to read from Mpele that life was peaches and cream under apartheid when I still have vivid memories of black SA on TV running from big German shepherds and live bullets coming at them.
No wonder the whole country is messed up with all the colour descrimination and stuff, looks like apartheid still has a strong hold on some people.
Sadly they don't even know it.
What a shame!
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Mpele(m): 3:03pm On May 21, 2008
Yes I think that it was necessary for me to do that because some Morpheus said that the world cup must be taken away from us. South Africa earned this world cup. It was not given to us like Germany. We earned the right to host it through sheer hardwork. Just because some morons decide to beat up people the your some insane Nigerian thinks that the world cup must be taken away from us hell no!! Countries like America that wiped out Vietnamesse hosted the world cup in 94. Germany that wiped out more than a million Jews hosted the world cup in 1974 and 2006, did your people complain NO! Just because some Nigerian illegal immigrant was beatern up in Johannesburg you now think that the World Cup must be taken away from us. Its high time Nigerians realises that their voices don't hold water anywhere. There is this underlying jelousy about South Africa from Nigerians.

Always wanting South Africa to fail. HANDS OFF THE WORLD CUP
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:04pm On May 21, 2008
tpia:

you don't seem to realize you're one of the most sentimental people here. undecided

My dear,you're not alone in your observation.
One thing you can always count on is his consistency.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Dreloaded(f): 3:06pm On May 21, 2008
When I used to say this, you all said I was hating on him.

The same dude that blamed the black SAs for that dogfood fiasco. "should have known the whites were just playing a game"

Dude's insane.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:08pm On May 21, 2008
D-reloaded:

When I used to say this, you all said I was hating on him.

The same dude that blamed the black SAs for that dogfood fiasco. "should have known the whites were just playing a game"

Dude's insane.

Actually I was one of those who begged you to let kobo be until I saw what you saw.
The guy thinks from the rear.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Mpele(m): 3:10pm On May 21, 2008
Apartheid was bad but at least there level of crime was low, there was no electricity powercuts and we didn't have so many illegal immigrants. We wouldn't have such problems now if we had a white president or Mandela was still the president. Our borders were opened and South Africans were not warned that the whole of Africa is coming this side. You must understand that many South Africans don't know anything about Africa. They don't even know where is Nigeria located or Ghana or Egypt. They actually don't give a damn about Africa. Ask any South African teenager about Africa you'll be horified. The government should have taught our people about Africa and Africans in general.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by holythug(m): 3:14pm On May 21, 2008
den do like germany and feel great about it
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Gamine(f): 3:14pm On May 21, 2008
An Enlightened South African

What a Surprise!!!!
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

Yes I think that it was necessary for me to do that because some Morpheus said that the world cup must be taken away from us. South Africa earned this world cup. It was not given to us like Germany. We earned the right to host it through sheer hardwork. Just because some morons decide to beat up people the your some insane Nigerian thinks that the world cup must be taken away from us hell no!! Countries like America that wiped out Vietnamesse hosted the world cup in 94. Germany that wiped out more than a million Jews hosted the world cup in 1974 and 2006, did your people complain NO! Just because some Nigerian illegal immigrant was beatern up in Johannesburg you now think that the World Cup must be taken away from us. Its high time Nigerians realises that their voices don't hold water anywhere. There is this underlying jelousy about South Africa from Nigerians.

I agree. I don't think that should be made a part of this either.

Mpele:

Apartheid was bad but at least there level of crime was low, there was no electricity powercuts and we didn't have so many illegal immigrants. We wouldn't have such problems now if we had a white president or Mandela was still the president. Our borders were opened and South Africans were not warned that the whole of Africa is coming this side. You must understand that many South Africans don't know anything about Africa. They don't even know where is Nigeria located or Ghana or Egypt. They actually don't give a damn about Africa. Ask any South African teenager about Africa you'll be horified. The government should have taught our people about Africa and Africans in general.

Thank you, you make very good points there! Now I do have a question for you @Mpele. Do you think that knowing about Africa will stop the mob?? I mean do you see this as an education issue ??
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:15pm On May 21, 2008
case in point,see kobo's response somewhere on this same thread

Should we make laws to criminalize xenophobia then so as to appease you ?? I have visited South Africa and my view remains same that this sort of thing is to be expected. We live in Africa. Look at the events of the past decade alone in Africa and you get a good idea of what and how people handle their fears and their issues. What these people did is atrocious but what do you think you can do about it ?? Go to war with South Africa?? Boast that you are better in treating your own than they are?? Sign petitions to have the people apologize to you I mean what exactly can you do about it?? Look at Zimbabwe. I read many of those who are now dead are Zimbabweans. Do you think Mugabe is out there telling Mbeki that he will close his borders if he, Mbeki, does not find a solution immediately? Do you think the congolese government, that is busy dealing with terrorists in it's own borders who comit the same acts daily are busy demanding answers from Mbeki?? The list goes on.

shocked shocked shocked

In other words when attacked take it as your expected end and sing Halleluia
all I can say is Ebelebe Igba (in the words of darfur)
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by londoner: 3:16pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele, so because one person said the world cup should be taken away, you go into a general rant to us here? At least direct your reply to that individual.

I think at a time like this, the World cup should be the least of your worries. You have bigger fish to fry at the moment.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by SENATORJD(m): 3:18pm On May 21, 2008
@ mpele government as in "Government" or as in school?cos i believe a little history should have been done about Africa and what it contains,so are saying T. Mbeki's govt is a failed one?and that opening of the borders was a mistake?u cnt rule out globalisation u know?so it might be a bit difficult for any country to live in isolation of the other no matter how richly endowed she  might be.so that might have compelled him to open up. well u should no better cos u live there and shes urs
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by tpia: 3:19pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

the govt should teach its people about Africa, and the people can also teach themselves about Africa.

many blacks in America still taught themselves how to read and write when it was an express crime to do so. Or some paid white kids to teach them.

this is the 21st century- there's no excuse for a vast majority not to know anything about Africa and be proud of it even though they are Africans. But I'm sure they know the location of Ethiopia, thanks to the color scale.

Mpele:

I don't believe Nigerians werent killed in these riots.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:23pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

You lost Africans ought to be ashamed of yourselves?
Are there no books in your country?
It's like someone saying he can't identify his fathers compound amongst other homes.
How pitiful.
The white man has set you free still you choose to be in chains.
It's now clearer the mindset that possesed your brethren to slaughter innocent people and they are not any different from yours.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Mpele(m): 3:28pm On May 21, 2008
I think that we must have a culture of thinking before we open our mouths or before we type anything. Let us deal with real issue. World Cup has nothing to do with Xenophobia. I know that there is lot of resentment towards South Africa and its citizens even before these attacks. Many of you have always had natural hatred for South Africa. Let us not use these attacks as a justification for your hatred.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

I think that we must have a culture of thinking before we open our mouths or before we type anything. Let us deal with real issue. World Cup has nothing to do with Xenophobia. I know that there is lot of resentment towards South Africa and its citizens even before these attacks. Many of you have always had natural hatred for South Africa. Let us not use these attacks as a justification for your hatred.

Did you see my questions to you??
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by londoner: 3:32pm On May 21, 2008
@Sheniqua, it is quite alarming isn't it. Then again thats what happens if you imprison someone to the point where they identify themselves as a captive. Even if released they can't function without the familiar comfort of a cell.

As if Aparteid is the only solution to adequate immigration practices and constant electricity. Its one thing to be free physically, but mental freedom is a whole different process.

@ Mpele, the only person going on about the world cup on this thread is you actually.
Re: Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! by sheniqua: 3:37pm On May 21, 2008
Mpele:

The hatred for South Africa was  always directed to the white oppressors who treated you guys less than their animals.
It was never to the blacks of South Africa .
But we suddenly came to the rude realization that you folks have been brainwashed from the womb to hate who you really are and are disgusted by fellow Africans especially those who are a shade darker than y'all.

World cup my foot.
Who cares where the thing is played.
The issue here is much deeper than the stupid world cup

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (30)

Clinton Hinote: We Are Out Of Time, China Has Caught Up / Robert Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Grace To Leave Zimbabwe / Meet Fares & Firas Muhammad: Muslim Twins Serving In Israel's Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.