Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan (30923 Views)

Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria / Shoprite To Open Its Sixth Store In KWARA Mall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by adamshafi(m): 2:19am On Sep 29, 2013
Good development, shoprite seems to be making a hell of cash from Ibadan people.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by kayswag100(m): 2:42am On Sep 29, 2013
airmark: I need to stretch my visit to Ibadan on vacation. Enough sopping for my Ibadan sic!!!

and I'm sure you won't regret it. The city is more transformed. Several beautiful Roads under construction. No needless hold ups and peace reigns At that same mall shoprite is located( heritage mall) you've also got Filmhouse cinemas.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by publisher(m): 3:03am On Sep 29, 2013
madam_oringo:

What is stopping you since you have the idea and the drive to do it?? Were Kingsway, Leventis, etc Nigerian-owned and ideas? Stop trying to be smart. So if you have not created even a mom and pop store, we should wait until the date you or some Nigerian will invest 1 B in the retail sector of the economy? Well, it is the same thing! I live here and store chains from Europe are here just as store chains from America are in Europe, Asia, etc. Or you want Dangote and Adenuga to go and open a retail outlet again? How many business must they do to please you? You too go and start something and I am sure Adenuga and Dangote will have no problems buying things from your "Shoprite".

Oh don't be silly woman (or man)!

If u were smart enough u'd remember that companies like Kingsway, Leventis and co were bound by Nigeria's 'indigenization decree' of the 70s/80s making it mandatory for Nigerians to own majority stakes
in such companies. How old r u sef?

Also, i am a consumer,not an investor and i have the right to express my views. Just like u have the right to hate or love certain songs or movies even tho u cant sing or act to save ur life,

I NEVER proposed that international brands like Shoprite should be chased away from Nigeria- I only suggested the emergence of big Nigerian retail brands to also come in and compete like u have in which ever western nation u claim to reside in.

Nairalanders sha...

9 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 3:17am On Sep 29, 2013
geeez: And watch out for Abeouka too next year and perhaps Oshogbo and Akure

Eyin Ibadan, e ku soppin

Soprite yi' tu Ilu Ibadan lara O grin

Yawnnnnn... wake me up when they get yo Saki - lol.

I went to the one in Ibadan and I was blown away in the way that it gives folks something to do. When I was growing up with had Leventis, UTC and Kingsway as well as Scala, Odeon and KS. So nothing new for me.

The checker tried to stiff me for my loose change and I raised heck.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by missystephen: 3:55am On Sep 29, 2013
Please, is shoprite in Portharcourt? If yes lemme know where it is located. I am new resident here, I barely know my bearing. Help help.Thank you in advance.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by whitecat007: 4:08am On Sep 29, 2013
I will still patronize dem street corner grass fed beef any day.
Revolva: umm ibadan go enhjoy..tire...no more eleran...for street corner....sha....and all those local ibadan babes.....go upgrade sha......ope o

the shoprite @ ikeja city mall is the biggest in the whole naija.....
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by whitecat007: 4:14am On Sep 29, 2013
Yada! Yada! Yada! Ode, businesses are not run that way
publisher: Blackberry was operating at a loss but still went ahead to produce the z10.

The opening of a second Shoprite in Ibadan less than 5months after the first one simply shows that both malls were conceptualized at the same time-and construction was probably going on simultaneously.

If truly Bodija Mall has been experiencing low patronage,u dont expect the mgt of Shoprite to now abandon the Ring road Mall already advanced in construction.

As a business entity Shoprite can only hope that its visibility studies on Ibadan pays off on the longrun.

It's too early to praise or condemn Ibadan-however with its size and proximity to lagos,surely expectations should be very high.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by whitecat007: 4:18am On Sep 29, 2013
Inferiority is synonymous with una remember?
toothpaste: Ibadan the headquarters of dirty. See as them dey vomit because of shoprite.

Inferiority complex in the midst of dirty is a generational problem
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by whitecat007: 4:22am On Sep 29, 2013
Screw you vagabond!
Billyonaire: The only way shoprite will survive there will be if they sell amala ati ewedu, gbegiri eti orishirishi.

Ibadan oni gbaje o
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:29am On Sep 29, 2013
Singing Ebenezer Obey's great hit, "Omo Ibadan."
# Omo Ibadan, a dupe o fun 'le baba wa. Oke Ado, a dupe o fun 'le baba wa. Ororo ile, oro ile ni baba fun wa bi 'su omi.
Ema f'Ibadan sere o, mi o ni f'Ibadan sere o. Eda ton f'Ibadan sere o iyen nwa iyonu#

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 4:54am On Sep 29, 2013
I thought 70% of Nigerians are poor cry
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by 4chi: 5:34am On Sep 29, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl:

Abia is the headquarter of dirty

Entire iboland is absolute s*hit hole. putrid offensive smell oozing all over the place.served there and relocated ASAP . I don't blame them flat heads for running away from their cesspit. Would do the same if I were one.tufia! You can't find a more rotten place than onitsha and aba in the entire universe.

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 29, 2013

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by ichidodo: 5:57am On Sep 29, 2013
What? That pig house of a place?? Is it for the wretched people that can't even afford a cup of Oloyin beans or the greedy forigners whose 'capital flight' ventures are impoverishing the local savages......It is too early to say until the mall is completed and Shoprite moves in but until then the Offenmanus can continue daydreaming...

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by ichidodo: 6:08am On Sep 29, 2013
What? That pig house of a place?? Is it for the wretched people that can't even afford a cup of Oloyin beans or the greedy forigners whose 'capital flight' ventures are impoverishing the local savages??......It is too early to say until the mall is completed and Shoprite moves in but till then the Offenmanus can continue daydreaming...

7 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by ikweremilitant: 6:17am On Sep 29, 2013
grafikii: Oh i forgot, kfc also has a store in Ibadan and has been operating for 2yrs now even before the opened one in the nations capital. I know someday they will get to the south east
u see d way u guys re welcmg ds news if its frm odr regions u wil no hw to crictisize it
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by olumaxi(m): 6:23am On Sep 29, 2013
geeez: Oyo State:
Cocoa Mall

Address: Ijebu Bypass
Bank Road
City: Dugbe Ibadan
State: Oyo State

Oyo State:
Ibadan Mall (opening November 2013)
Suburb: Ibadan
State: Oyo State

is dis d addres of d old mall or new?
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by laprem90: 6:35am On Sep 29, 2013
Let me give you guys another shocker, E-centre is also under construction in Ibadan, sango along UI road...you guys keep despising ibadan.
Ooooh i forgot to add that four points by sheraton is under construction too behind premier hotel, mokola hill, ibadan. Im gonna try and post pictures 2moro.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Stdhayour: 6:37am On Sep 29, 2013
I still don't like the idea if this super malls for now especially in naija.it wreck small businesses.even Americans are praying for super malls like Walmart to go.not hating just my opinion tho
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by felifeli: 6:38am On Sep 29, 2013
publisher: Blackberry was operating at a loss but still went ahead to produce the z10.

The opening of a second Shoprite in Ibadan less than 5months after the first one simply shows that both malls were conceptualized at the same time-and construction was probably going on simultaneously.

If truly Bodija Mall has been experiencing low patronage,u dont expect the mgt of Shoprite to now abandon the Ring road Mall already advanced in construction.

As a business entity Shoprite can only hope that its visibility studies on Ibadan pays off on the longrun.

It's too early to praise or condemn Ibadan-however with its size and proximity to lagos,surely expectations should be very high.

Which one be Bodija mall? Shoprite is in Heritage Mall Dugbe. The building is not owned by Shoprite.
Which one be Visibility studies? Half education is a dangerous thing.
SMH
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 29, 2013
chaircover: I was in Shoprite 2 days ago and it was virtually empty and there were def more staff than shoppers and I had a choice of which check out to use. We found a parking slot almost opposite the entrance and I am almost convinced that it is not as well stocked as the Lagos branches.

I understand that there is another one being built along ring road, but that has been under Construction for a while so maybe it makes sense for them to complete it, rather than just abandon it especially as the location is a very good one.

Not all branches of the same business make money, and some branches subsidize others, but they keep the biz open to keep the brand name alive and to make it look as if the brand is doing very well which in turn entices customers as we all like to be associated with successful brands.

Nevertheless, their meatpie is the best in Ibadan grin

There's always the slack and peak periods for all businesses. Probably you went there in the slack period of the day or week but compared to the large crowd that patronised them in the opening weeks one might form the opinion of low patronage, but its only a natural thing. Ibadan needs like 4 shoprite to spread about if they really mean to make money.

Presently there is too much competition for retail business in Ibadan, with shoprite, foodco, feedwell, wimpy etc operating large shops, it is common sense that people will go back to the closest one to them, people in iyana church cannot be expected to be coming to dugbe just to buy stuff, they'll rather go to their local market or the next big retail store closest to them.

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 29, 2013
laprem90: Let me give you guys another shocker, E-centre is also under construction in Ibadan, sango along UI road...you guys keep despising ibadan.
Ooooh i forgot to add that four points by sheraton is under construction too behind premier hotel, mokola hill, ibadan. Im gonna try and post pictures 2moro.

I saw the E-center as well on my way to UI last week, its almost completed. Will it have a cinema as well?
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by fairygeh(f): 6:51am On Sep 29, 2013
I thought some haters were saying shoprite will regret opening a store in IB because they would experience law patronage?Now they opening another one,where are the fools who were talking.awon 1 diots.IB people are shopping,we gats the money and we shopping rite.haters should go and kiss a toilet seat.Bomboclats

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by GentleYoung(m): 6:52am On Sep 29, 2013
Okay
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 29, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:56am On Sep 29, 2013
madam_oringo:

You are still a mere corper, never had a real job, talk less of starting a shoe shiner business or a mama put business worth N 1,000 only but you question the business decision of an international retail outfit with store chains across multiple states and countries? Did you actually go to any university or polytechnic or it is just the default emotional response but no intellectual, thinking capacity of you people that is the problem?? Chances are that Shoprite have and will make better decisions in this lifetime than everyone in your lineage will ever make! Think about it!

Hmmmm I guess you just showed me just how educated you are? I must have hit a nerve with my post.

I a mere corper? Never had a real job? Lol well if that makes your bp normal cause I see you about to burst a nerve. I do not have to prove anything to some Ibadan tout. So toodles! Run along child. :-)

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by inspbado(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2013
publisher: My only anger is why Nigerian investors and the government have not taken it upon themselves to develope a Nigerian -owned big retail brand.

Look at us Nigerians getting excited about having a South African owned retail outlet opening shop at our respective cities. Kinda shameful if u ask me.

During my childhood days there was the likes of Kingsway, Leventis and Utc...i think.

There's this accountant from ijebu-ode, Ogun state(can't remember his name now) who is building medium sized shopping centres all over Lagos. I don't know if you've seen them?they are called "Addide". Dude has already built 22 so far, he says he plans to build 33 more, then branch out to other south western states.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2013
chaircover:

You could be right, but I went at lunch time on Thursday, Infact before I went I was in 2 minds because I didnt want be be caught up in the bankers lunch break, but it was virtually empty.

Business is very complex. The small supermarket in my local area is always full of people. maybe the ring road shoprite store one is a better location because it is in a residential area.

The point at the end of the day is they will need to move closer to the people to maximise gain, but iwouldnt want them to do that as it will hurt other businesses but I'm quite sure they are not done with opening of stores, a business like theirs cannot remain in one location and survive.

If Trolleys could still be operating till today I don't have any fear for shoprite.
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by durtman: 7:09am On Sep 29, 2013
ThoniaSlim: Currently serving in IB and been there a couple of times. I have to ask is that really a wise decision?

Go ask d shoprite account dept to know how much dy make each week
Re: Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan by fairygeh(f): 7:19am On Sep 29, 2013
ichidodo: What? That pig house of a place?? Is it for the wretched people that can't even afford a cup of Oloyin beans or the greedy forigners whose 'capital flight' ventures are impoverishing the local savages......It is too early to say until the mall is completed and Shoprite moves in but until then the Offenmanus can continue daydreaming...
. Permit me to say that oloriburuku ni e.ode omo ale jatijati.is it my people you are calling wretched?you this ghetto boy.Foolish fool.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How Much Is Petrol Selling For In Your Area? / 15 Killed In Bank Robbery In Offa, Kwara State / Paddy Adenuga On Losing A Good Woman, Recalls How It Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.