Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues (22777 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
But naijadeyhia
This isn't the kind of speaking in tounges the bible talked about
This is still gibberish
Speaking in tounges is speaking in a different language other than yours and that is what befell peter and his crew on the day of Pentecost

There are two types of tongues The Holy Spirit can give you. One is a tongue of this earth. For instance, if your native language is English, then He can give you the ability to speak in Chinese, Japanese, or Spanish.

The other type of tongue that He can give you is a tongue direct from heaven, a heavenly language that is not of this earth. The Bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 13 that there are “tongues of angels.”

But in either event, it will be a foreign language that you will not be able to speak out on your own, and only the Holy Spirit’s supernatural transmission of this language out of your spirit will give you the ability to be able to speak this language out.

And whatever tongue the Holy Spirit will give you, you will be able to use it 24/7, whenever you want. It will be your own personal, private, prayer language between you and the Lord.
The only problem with this gift is that for the most part, you will never know or understand what you are praying about when you go into this gift.

The Bible tells us that we will be speaking out “mysteries,” and only God the Father and the Holy Spirit will be knowing exactly what the prayer will be about on any given occasion when you are actually doing it.

So if we will not know exactly what we are praying about when using this gift, then why would God even want us to have this kind of a gift in the first place? I believe the reason is in the verse where it says that sometimes we will not know how to pray as we ought to.

Sometimes we will not be able to find the right words to use in our own personal prayers to the Lord due to our own natural imperfections in being able to properly communicate with Him.

Here is the verse that will show us that sometimes we will not know how to pray as we ought, and that we all need the Holy Spirit to come and help us out in our own personal prayer life with God the Father:

“Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which
cannot be uttered.” (Romans 8:26)

Now here are some additional verses on the gift of tongues:

“For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.” (1 Corinthians 14:2)

“I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.” ( 1 Corinthians 14:5)

“Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.” (1 Corinthians 14:13-14)

“Though I speak with tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.” ( 1 Corinthians 13:1)

“Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers…” (1 Corinthians 14:22)

“Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.” (1 Corinthians 14:39-40)

Notice in the first verse that it is telling you that you are speaking mysteries when you are praying in your tongue. The 4th verse tells you that your tongue will either becoming from men or angels, which means that it will either be a language of this earth or a language direct from heaven.

Notice in the 3rd verse that Paul is telling you that you pray to interpret your own tongue so you can understand what you are praying about, which will lead us right into the next gift, the interpretation of tongues.

Also notice that when you are praying in your tongue, that you are praying out of your spirit, not out of your mind. You are also praying in the Holy Spirit when you are praying in your tongue.

This last statement above is what this video proves

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 29, 2016
conclusion

While speaking in tongues does appear at first to
resemble human language, that was only on the
surface.

The actual stream of speech was not organised and
there was no existing relationship between units
of speech and concepts.

The speakers might believe it to be a real
language, but it was totally meaningless

2 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by foladara777(m): 10:21am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

And what does that translate to?

Let me paraphrase

When speaking known language the test subjects engaged their frontal lobes which showed human effort but when speaking in tongues the frontal lobe was not in use which shows it was not by their effort.

Those tests were carried out on Buddhists and others and showed that they engaged their frontal lobes so what makes speaking in tongues different from them all and clearly showing no human participation in the brain?

Can you draw your conclussion?
If u are speaking gibberish it doesn't require your reasoning ability so it's understandable that the frontal lobes were not engaged... I mean, they are practically saying nonsense

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 29, 2016
Dayvhid:
the researchers used imaging
techniques to track changes in blood flow in each
person's brain in two conditions, once as she sang
a gospel song and again while speaking in tongues.
By comparing the patterns created by these two
emotional, devotional activities, the researchers
could pinpoint blood-flow peaks and valleys unique
to speaking in tongues.

Oga i think you watched a different video. There was no comparison made between singing devotional songs and speaking in tongues. All studies were on speaking in tongues and trying to find an attachment to it with the brain function which they could not find any.

Speaking in English (which is a known language) showed the involvement of the frontal lobe clearly. Buddhist meditations showed the same thing and nuns prayers also showed the same frontal lobe involvement but speaking in tongues from all test subjects showed absolutely no frontal lobe involvement and the researcher said clearly that the tests are consistent with what they claimed when they said, they have no control over the words as they are not of them.

Since the words are not of them then proof is the lack of the brains frontal lobe involvement.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Santafemetrix(m): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
But naijadeyhia
This is still gibberish
Speaking in tounges is speaking in a different language other than yours and that is what befell peter and his crew on the day of Pentecost

Please, disprove the research...that is what the thread is about...why are you guys this predictable?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2016
foladara777:

If u are speaking gibberish it doesn't require your reasoning ability so it's understandable that the frontal lobes were not engaged... I mean, they are practically saying nonsense

You did not watch the video. Any comment that comes out of your mouth must involve your brain and the frontal lobe is that seat of involvement. Be it Gibberish or whatever it must involve the use of your brain but this does not.

Are you a science student?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 29, 2016
Dayvhid:
conclusion

While speaking in tongues does appear at first to
resemble human language, that was only on the
surface.

The actual stream of speech was not organised and
there was no existing relationship between units
of speech and concepts.

The speakers might believe it to be a real
language, but it was totally meaningless

You still did not watch the video

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Santafemetrix(m): 10:25am On Nov 29, 2016
Emmanystone:

There's nothing like hardcore atheist. They are hardcore satanists hosting legions of demons who hates God in them.

Brother, God bless you.

You're seeing them in their real elements.. I wonder why it is difficult for people to see this.

These guys are just pure satanists...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Emmanystone: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
But naijadeyhia
This is still gibberish
When you do not know something, keep quiet.

Speaking in tongues is not the same thing as Speaking in other tongues.

Every Christian shd speak in tongues, which is communicating directly to God, while speaking in other tongues is a GIFT. This GIFT is given to whom God chooses. Not all speaks in Other Tongues.

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1 Cori

This is when the Holy Spirit takes up the tongue of a man and give him utterance to speak a language alien to him, with the intent of communicating to the people of that language in their language.

Speaking in Tongues does not require interpretation, but speaking in other Tongues does.

What happened on the day of Pentecost was Speaking in Other Tongues, not Speaking in Tongues.

When speaking in Tongues, we talk to God, but When speaking in Other Tongues God is speaking to Men through another Man.

Leave the things of the Spirit to the spiritual, face your atheism.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 10:33am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

And what does that translate to?

Let me paraphrase

When speaking known language the test subjects engaged their frontal lobes which showed human effort but when speaking in tongues the frontal lobe was not in use which shows it was not by their effort.

Those tests were carried out on Buddhists and others and showed that they engaged their frontal lobes so what makes speaking in tongues different from them all and clearly showing no human participation in the brain?

Can you draw your conclussion?
There are non-christians that speak in tongue, did Dr. Andrew did a research on them?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
There are non-christians that speak in tongue, did Dr. Andrew did a research on them?

Did you watch the video?

2 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 10:41am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Did you watch the video?
Yes, He said he did research on Buddhist meditation but they don't speak in tongue.

Paganist, Shamanist speaks in tongue, did he do research on them?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
Yes, He said he did research on Buddhist meditation but they don't speak in tongue.

Paganist, Shamanist speaks in tongue, did he do research on them?

What language do pagans and shamans speak? Heavenly tongues or other languages?

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 10:45am On Nov 29, 2016
Emmanystone:

[s]When you do not know something, keep quiet.

Speaking in tongues is not the same thing as Speaking in other tongues.

Every Christian shd speak in tongues, which is communicating directly to God, while speaking in other tongues is a GIFT. This GIFT is given to whom God chooses. Not all speaks in Other Tongues.

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1 Cori

This is when the Holy Spirit takes up the tongue of a man and give him utterance to speak a language alien to him, with the intent of communicating to the people of that language in their language.

Speaking in Tongues does not require interpretation, but speaking in other Tongues does.

What happened on the day of Pentecost was Speaking in Other Tongues, not Speaking in Tongues.

When speaking in Tongues, we talk to God, but When speaking in Other Tongues God is speaking to Men through another Man.

Leave the things of the Spirit to the spiritual, face your atheism[/s].
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:

Would you have felt nice if i had blotted out your question as well? If this scientific backing to speaking in tongues is rubbing you the wrong way then quietly exit the thread and stop being a nuisance.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by foladara777(m): 10:48am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

You did not watch the video. Any comment that comes out of your mouth must involve your brain and the frontal lobe is that seat of involvement. Be it Gibberish or whatever it must involve the use of your brain but this does not.

Are you a science student?
This video is not new to me... In fact, there's an article on new York times that details the experiment thoroughly... But it has been debunked as evidence of the spiritual nature of speaking in tongues. It's fundamentally psychological. See here http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/11/thinking_in_tongues.html

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 29, 2016
foladara777:

This video is not new to me... In fact, there's an article on new York times that details the experiment thoroughly... But it has been debunked as evidence of the spiritual nature of speaking in tongues. It's fundamentally psychological. See here http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/11/thinking_in_tongues.html

cc Laclicklabendin you foresaw this.

No wonder you are confused and quoting wrongly. This video has nothing to do with gospel songs or speaking in tongues comparison. Oga abeg perhaps your typing and responding to me is also purely psychological.

If the video is not new to you then say what the content is and the name of the Pastor who was tested along with others.

If you do not have the data needed to watch the video you would have simply said so and something could have been arranged for you as a buffer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by hopefulLandlord: 10:55am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

No wonder you are confused and quoting wrongly. This video has nothing to do with gospel songs or speaking in tongues comparison. Oga abeg perhaps your typing and responding to me is also purely psychological.

If the video is not new to you then say what the content is and the name of the Pastor who was tested along with others.

If you do not have the data needed to watch the video you would have simply said so and something could have been arranged for you as a buffer.

the article he gave has debunked the video you posted bro!
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 10:56am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Would you have felt nice if i had blotted out your question as well? If this scientific backing to speaking in tongues is rubbing you the wrong way then quietly exit the thread and stop being a nuisance.

Apoeremtly you didn't see what he did there
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 10:57am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

What language do pagans and shamans speak? Heavenly tongues or other languages?
Christian call it heavenly tongue but Pagans and shamans call theirs spiritual tongue, they also believe they communicate to thier heavenly Gods which I see no difference.

And why is Dr Andrew Newberg scientific research the only one that suppport this claim?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 29, 2016
The frontal lobes were not involved............unless this study is run on an unbeliever and the result varies before I'll take speaking in tongues seriously

Let them get an unbeliever and let him speak this same gibberish and lf his frontal lobe is involved.......... it'll shut a lot of mouths

jizzus
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 11:02am On Nov 29, 2016
jizzus:
The frontal lobes were not involved............unless this study is run on an unbeliever and the result varies before I'll take speaking in tongues seriously

Let them get an unbeliever and let him speak this same gibberish and lf his frontal lobe is involved.......... it'll shut a lot of mouths

jizzus
unbelievers that left the faith also "speak in tounges"
Babies under 2 and intoxicated people also "speak in tounges"
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 11:02am On Nov 29, 2016
jizzus:

jizzus

How can an unbeliever who doesn't have the Holy Spirit speak in tongues? Or did you mean, have an unbeliever fake tongues?

Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 29, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

the article he gave has debunked the video you posted bro!

The article had nothing to do with the video.

I know the word DEBUNK would pop up eventually grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 11:06am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

cc :Laclicklabendin you foresaw this.

I know the devices of the devil!

I know how they work and so, I said it, so no one will be surprised.

They're irredeemable... that's why I am of the opinion that we stop engaging them.

Any scientific research that doesn't support their master, they always try to debunk it, but no matter how silly any research is, as long as it serves the purpose of their master, they hold on it tenaciously. This is no coincidence!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
Christian call it heavenly tongue but Pagans and shamans call theirs spiritual tongue, they also believe they communicate to thier heavenly Gods which I see no difference.

And why is Dr Andrew Newberg scientific research the only one that suppport this claim?

During the initiation of a Shaman, he/she often must learn a new language. It is a language of the spirits - sometimes a language of the earth's creatures. Especially common among the Northern Asian, and Arctic Shamans this secret language was also found among Shamans of Sumatra, Borneo, South America, North America, and Guiana

the difference here is that the language used by Shamans are taught and handed down from generation to generation. Speaking in tongues is not taught.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by foladara777(m): 11:10am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

It's amazing how u are so desperate to protect the integrity of your video even to the point of insults... the study was conducted by University of Pennsylvania school of medicine, Andrew Newberg led the research.
U completely ignored the link I posted which actually shows why speaking in tongues is not spiritual.. That some thing is weird and creepy doesn't make it spiritual.
I remember in my church during a particular Holy spirit session where people were falling and my aunty sustained injuries and I was like really?? The Holy spirit didn't foresee this??
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 29, 2016
jizzus:

jizzus

You seem not to understand anything about the source of GENUINE tongues. You can try to fake it and as long as you do then your brain would be involved. Many fake it! However if your source is not the Holy spirit then you would fail woefully.

The doctor here chose candidates who claimed they were genuine tongue speakers and not fakers and also chose Buddhists and nuns under the same conditions. Both the nuns and Buddhists showed frontal lobe involvement while the tongue speakers did not show any of such involvement.

Science is simple dude. Perhaps you should reach out to the doctor and volunteer afterall this research was done in the 21st century and his name is right there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by foladara777(m): 11:13am On Nov 29, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

I know the devices of the devil!

I know how they work and so, I said it, so no one will be surprised.

They're irredeemable... that's why I am of the opinion that we stop engaging them.

Any scientific research that doesn't support their master, they always try to debunk it, but no matter how silly any research is, as long as it serves the purpose of their master, they hold on it tenaciously. This is no coincidence!
Support their master?? U sound like a kindergarten right now... U are d only one with a master, one that has been responsible for genocides and when we challenge you on that u run away... For example, your master sent two bears to kill 42 children because they laughed at a bald man but you ignore all that and claim God is good
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 29, 2016
foladara777:

It's amazing how u are so desperate to protect the integrity of your video even to the point of insults... the study was conducted by University of Pennsylvania school of medicine, Andrew Newberg led the research.
U completely ignored the link I posted which actually shows why speaking in tongues is not spiritual.. That some thing is weird and creepy doesn't make it spiritual.
I remember in my church during a particular Holy spirit session where people were falling and my aunty sustained injuries and I was like really?? The Holy spirit didn't foresee this??

I am not desperate about anything unlike you who is desperate to "debunk" it. Your article has nothing to do with the video simple as ABC.

If you say it does then show me.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 29, 2016
foladara777:

Support their master?? U sound like a kindergarten right now... U are d only one with a master, one that has been responsible for genocides and when we challenge you on that u run away... For example, your master sent two bears to kill 42 children because they laughed at a bald man but you ignore all that and claim God is good

stick to the thread and do not derail it or you will get banned
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by foladara777(m): 11:18am On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

stick to the thread and do not derail it or you will get banned
Get banned really?? U are running for cover again!! When your friend mentioned some nonsense about a master, it was okay, now I exposed the hypocrisy and u are crying foul??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Aborisa:yoruba Religion / Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / 'Religion Has Done More Harm To Man Than Technology' - Twitter User Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.