Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues (22778 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
You were a church goer, not a christian! Now give us scientific proof of hypnotism through air blowing.
jonbellion:

What are you saying
I just put it in a way you guys would understand since that's your belief
I was a christian once you know undecided
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
so you don't actively go to church

Of course i do. Going to Church is not being Religious as you lot seem to think. The Church is like a school. You get taught and then go into the world to practice what you are taught.

Some go to show off on dressing and enjoy the music while matured ones go to receive the bread of life (The undiluted Word). That does not stop me from dressing up nice or dancing like david danced but all those are not as important to me as the Word of God.

Going to church does not make one a believer in God...Relationship does. The ritual of simply going to church for the sake of it is being Religious of which i am not

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2016
What fell you down? You were hypotised too? If yes, prove it scientifically.
Ranchhoddas:
I have also fallen under the anointing more than once in different places. What exactly is the point of it? You just fall and get up and life goes on.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2016
Emmanystone:

How did it happen? I mean before you started speaking or basking.
Firstly they fined tuned me with verses from the Bible........then they set the atmosphere with some nice songs(yes those gospel songs are nice)then everyone else started speaking it........motivation talks of "its in Ur belly just speak it out" more melodious music........adrenaline rush and the the fact that everyone else was saying something I muttered some words and voila you've been filled with the holy ghost

In conclusion :
How to get filled with the holy ghost
1. Tell them stories of others who have received the holy spirit.

2. Fill the atmosphere with sonorous and melodious tunes(very necessary )

3. Give them the "its in your belly" push

jizzus

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Ranchhoddas: 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

The Point is not the falling. The point is the cause of it. Did anyone push you down? it wasnt your physical body actually falling. It was your physical body responding to the reaction from your spirit in the presence of the holy spirit.

The point is for you to know that there is one that is greater than you and whom you need and it is meant to make you desire to know him. Its not a show its an invitation
Some people appear to be more receptive to this anointing than others i.e they are consistent 'fallers'. Does this mean they are getting more invites?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
You were a church goer, not a christian! Now give us scientific proof of hypnotism through air blowing.
what kind of no true Scotsman fallacy is this
Anybody that left Christianity was never a christian??
Well I do know I've given my life to Christ and was in the choir when I was still a christian
Ummm I beg your pardon@thie second sentence
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 29, 2016
jizzus:

Firstly they fined tuned me with verses from the Bible........then they set the atmosphere with some nice songs(yes those gospel songs are nice)then everyone else started speaking it........motivation talks of "its in Ur belly just speak it out" more melodious music........adrenaline rush and the the fact that everyone else was saying something I muttered some words and voila you've been filled with the holy ghost

cheesy cheesy Deception 101. You were never baptised in the Holy Ghost. This is what faking it is all about.

In conclusion :
[b[How to get filled with the holy ghost [/b]
1. Tell them stories of others who have received the holy spirit.

2. Fill the atmosphere with sonorous and melodious tunes(very necessary )

3. Give them the "its in your belly" push

You have no conclusion because you never had the experience. Just a very quack copy.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Some people appear to be more receptive to this anointing than others i.e they are consistent 'fallers'. Does this mean they are getting more invites?

No its just the way they are. Same way some eat more food than others consistently. All in all there is a reaction inwardly which shows outwardly.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc
The video suggests that some Christians do not consciously concoct nonsense words when they speak in tongues. For those Christians, the tongues come from their subconscious minds while they are emotionally aroused. Those Christians are under a genuine and honest delusion.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 2:51pm On Nov 29, 2016
Emmanystone:

Again, you didn't say that.
Do you remember Urheme? He was an Atheist here, just like you. He also said they were no demons. Ask him now will you?

grin grin grin grin

one day he will find out that there are lots that hospitals can't explain, people still die in the hospital......
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Ranchhoddas: 2:52pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
What fell you down? You were hypotised too? If yes, prove it scientifically.
I did not mention hypnotism. Not everyone is at war with you so you can stop reading meanings into my post.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 2:52pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:

The video suggests that some Christians do not consciously concoct nonsense words when they speak in tongues. For those Christians, the tongues come from their subconscious minds while they are emotionally aroused. Those Christians are under a genuine and honest delusion.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 2:54pm On Nov 29, 2016
Actually when I was a christian I never had any interest in the nonsense
Maybe because most people I knew didn't seem to do it genuinely
They usually had a ringtone or something on their phone and they always related the same gibberish in every prayer
I don't think this is how angels converse

4 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Ranchhoddas: 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

No its just the way they are. Same way some eat more food than others consistently. All in all there is a reaction inwardly which shows outwardly.
So it's a reaction and nothing else. The pastors are usually shouting 'receive it! receive it!' so I always assumed that the 'fallers' were receiving something until I started falling and did not receive anything. I started getting suspicious.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:

The Seun Delusion. smh

Thanks for responding even though your comments are always predictable even in the face of scientific evidence which you so crave for.

You admit that some Christians do not consciously concoct words which is a good thing then you went full kamikaze when you switched to emotional arousal and delusion.

Can you show me how actions from ones subconscious would evade triggering brain activity? Even when we dream (dreams are part of our subconscious) science shows our brain is actively involved so how did this particular "subconscious" action evade that?

I want us to now use science to answer science Seun. I can show you proof of brain activity spiking during the use of ones subconscious. Can we do this Seun?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
So it's a reaction and nothing else. The pastors are usually shouting 'receive it! receive it!' so I always assumed that the 'fallers' were receiving something until I started falling and did not receive anything. I started getting suspicious.

You are missing the point. You can will your spirit to be receptive but the trigger is Faith. Do you believe in the prayers and the source of the Word? If you do you can receive. The falling aspect is different from the receiving. Although both can work side by side.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

when did I say I wanted to disbelieve anything? So sharr this your holy spirit experience with me if you would.
Don't worry.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
Don't worry.

You have none. You should have said this from the start.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Emmanystone: 3:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

grin grin grin grin

one day he will find out that there are lots that hospitals can't explain, people still die in the hospital......
Godbless you my dear.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 3:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

You have none. You should have said this from the start.
have what??
A holy spirit encounter
Lol I'm only 24 maybe it's not too late grin
Ooooor maybe there just isn't anything like that atall and y'all are just decirving yourselves. I go with the latter though smiley
Why would the holy spirit make you to be convulsing upandan and scattering yourself on the floor
Is that not madness
Can't he come in a sane way undecided

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun i am waiting for you to explain to me how the subconscious can avoid triggering brain activity when the same science claims dreams are from our subconscious and those trigger brain activity.

Can you explain this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
have what??
A holy spirit encounter
Ooooor maybe there just isn't anything like that atall and y'all are just decirving yourselves. I go with the latter though smiley
Why would the holy spirit make you to be convulsing upandan and scattering yourself on the floor
Is that not madness

See why i said you are hovering like a vulture? You are responding to a comment not directed at you. Are you tintinz?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by jonbellion(m): 3:16pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

See why i said you are hovering like a vulture? You are responding to a comment not directed at you. Are you tintinz?
huh
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 3:19pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:
[/b]

At the bolded, speaking in tongues DID NOT SHOW any frontal lobe activity in the study shown in the video.
This what I read from this site:

Medical tests, including a brain scan, came up normal. EEG revealed normal neural activity during a resting state. But…

Attempts were then made to reproduce the arm jerking. Ms A did not feel comfortable speaking in tongues aloud during the EEG because she thought it disrespectful to record this phenomenon. However she was willing to enter into a meditative state in which she prayed silently in tongues. When she did so, she appeared very relaxed, possibly even in light sleep. After several minutes of silent glossolalia, electrical discharges would begin to emanate from the right posterior temporal region

Now, Neurocase has in the past published some rather dubious religious-experience EEG data; in that case, I’m pretty sure the ‘temporal lobe spikes’ were just a recording artefact. This time around, it looks real enough. The fact that the suspicious signal came from the right temporal lobe also fits with the woman’s left arm jerks, because the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body.

However, so what? These kind of results are always intriguing, but this one should serve as a reminder that brain activity can be caused by behaviour, as well as causing it.

This case doesn’t show that glossolalia in general has anything to do with electrical abnormalities. It doesn’t even show that this woman’s speaking in tongues was caused by a neurological lesion. Ms A had been glossolating (?) for years before the arm movements started, after all, and it’s quite likely that there was no EEG abnormality before then either. Even once the unusual activity started, it was only triggered when she chose to enter into a glossolalia state.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2013/04/07/the-brain-speaking-in-tongues/
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
have what??
A holy spirit encounter
Is that not madness

Since you chose to respond to a comment not directed at you let me honour you with an answer

Your comment

Is that not madness
Can't he come in a sane way
:

Thanks for declaring that you are ignorant of this hence your MAYBE language so you cannot conclude on something you are ignorant of.

Those who react the way they do its exclusive to them as reactions vary. Its like trying to fit a fat man into a 10yr olds clothes...there is bound to be some discomfort and tearing apart of the 10yr olds clothes. Same happens with the baptism of the holy spirit. First time experience always produces a reaction...For some its violent while for others its peaceful. It all depends on your level of spiritual growth before you received Him.

To Him that is Sane to you its Insane but does your opinion count at that time? NO! You know why? Its because you asked for Him and now you are getting Him as desired on His terms. Would you rather be the Boss and control God?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
This what I read from this site:

Medical tests, including a brain scan, came up normal. EEG revealed normal neural activity during a resting state. But…

Attempts were then made to reproduce the arm jerking. Ms A did not feel comfortable speaking in tongues aloud during the EEG because she thought it disrespectful to record this phenomenon. However she was willing to enter into a meditative state in which she prayed silently in tongues. When she did so, she appeared very relaxed, possibly even in light sleep. After several minutes of silent glossolalia, electrical discharges would begin to emanate from the right posterior temporal region

Now, Neurocase has in the past published some rather dubious religious-experience EEG data; in that case, I’m pretty sure the ‘temporal lobe spikes’ were just a recording artefact. This time around, it looks real enough. The fact that the suspicious signal came from the right temporal lobe also fits with the woman’s left arm jerks, because the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body.

However, so what? These kind of results are always intriguing, but this one should serve as a reminder that brain activity can be caused by behaviour, as well as causing it.

This case doesn’t show that glossolalia in general has anything to do with electrical abnormalities. It doesn’t even show that this woman’s speaking in tongues was caused by a neurological lesion. Ms A had been glossolating (?) for years before the arm movements started, after all, and it’s quite likely that there was no EEG abnormality before then either. Even once the unusual activity started, it was only triggered when she chose to enter into a glossolalia state.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2013/04/07/the-brain-speaking-in-tongues/

Is this from the Video? If not then discard it. The tests from the video are quite different from this.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2016
When I gave my life to Christ at Foursquare Gospel Church, I was in JSS 1. After we said the sinner's prayer, our Sunday School teacher tried to get us baptised in the Holy Spirit. I was waiting for the Holy Spirit to descend on me and make me speak in tongues, but I didn't feel anything. Most of the girls started speaking in tongues, but I got nothing. I earnestly and sincerely ask God for it, but nothing happened.

When I got to Ife and started attending ECU, the fellowship my parents attended, we had to take a membership class and my teacher and his best friend also tried to get me baptised in the Holy Spirit to no avail. I remember them taking me to the sports center and praying with me and urging me to speak. I patiently waited for the Holy Spirit to descend on me but nothing happened. Then they had to explain that speaking in tongues is by faith. God supplies the word, and we speak them out, they said. To me it sounded as if they were encouraging me to fake it, and suggesting that everyone fakes it, but I just couldn't accept that. I wanted to experience it genuinely, like the apostles did in the bible.

So one day, as I was praying very intensely in my room, I felt a subtle urge to start saying some nonsense words that came to my mind, and I did. And once I started, I found that new words came to my mind and I could continue speaking them. That's how I started speaking in tongues. In my fellowship, it was common for the pastors to ask everyone to start speaking in tongues during worship; now I could join in! But it was also a bit of a disappointment because the experience was emotional, not supernatural. The Holy Spirit didn't take over my body.

When I was re-watching Sinach's video to transcribe her tongues, I actually felt the urge to speak in tongues again. I think listening to the beautiful way she sang the tongues triggered something in me. I bet I can still speak in tongues today if I choose to succumb to the feeling.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

The Seun Delusion. smh

Thanks for responding even though your comments are always predictable even in the face of scientific evidence which you so crave for.

You admit that some Christians do not consciously concoct words which is a good thing then you went full kamikaze when you switched to emotional arousal and delusion.

Can you show me how actions from ones subconscious would evade triggering brain activity? Even when we dream (dreams are part of our subconscious) science shows our brain is actively involved so how did this particular "subconscious" action evade that?

I want us to now use science to answer science Seun. I can show you proof of brain activity spiking during the use of ones subconscious. Can we do this Seun?

Are you surprised? What did he call it again? Errm...genuine delusion grin grin grin

I no fit laugh...
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2016
They have done all their research, and armed themselves with plenty weapons and now they have invaded the thread.... grin grin grin All in a bid to disprove their darling science which isn't in their favour this time.

Very predictable people.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:
When I gave my life to Christ at Foursquare Gospel Church, I was in JSS 1. After we said the sinner's prayer, our Sunday School teacher tried to get us baptised in the Holy Spirit. I was waiting for the Holy Spirit to descend on me and make me speak in tongues, but I didn't feel anything. Most of the girls started speaking in tongues, but I got nothing. I earnestly and sincerely ask God for it, but nothing happened.

[b]When I got to Ife and started attending ECU, the fellowship my parents attended, we had to take a membership class and my teacher and his best friend also tried to get me baptised in the Holy Spirit to no avail. I remember them taking me to the sports center and praying with me and urging me to speak. I patiently waited for the Holy Spirit to descend on me but nothing happened. Then they had to explain that speaking in tongues is by faith. God supplies the word, and we speak them out, they said. To me it sounded as if they were encouraging me to fake it, and suggesting that everyone fakes it, but I just couldn't accept that. I wanted to experience it genuinely, like the apostles did in the bible.

So one day, as I was praying very intensely in my room, I felt a subtle urge to start saying some nonsense words that came to my mind, and I did. And once I started, I found that new words came to my mind and I could continue speaking them. That's how I started speaking in tongues. In my fellowship, it was common for the pastors to ask everyone to start speaking in tongues during worship; now I could join in! But it was also a bit of a disappointment because the experience was emotional, not supernatural. The Holy Spirit didn't take over my body.[/b]

When I was re-watching Sinach's video to transcribe her tongues, I actually felt the urge to speak in tongues again. I think listening to the beautiful way she sang the tongues triggered something in me. I bet I can still speak in tongues today if I choose to succumb to the feeling.

Thank you for admitting that your experience was emotional and not spiritual so you had no actual original holy spirit baptism but just faked it as triggered by your emotions. Thats all i needed to know. Unless you have something else to add.

2 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ok seun let me tell you my own baptism of the holy spirit so you compare it with yours

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Thank you for admitting that your experience was emotional and not spiritual
Correction: I didn't say it was "not spiritual". I said it was not supernatural. It was as spiritual as any actual religious experience.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Aborisa:yoruba Religion / Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / 'Religion Has Done More Harm To Man Than Technology' - Twitter User Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.