Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,292 members, 7,815,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues (22795 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
I was in Church of God Mission festac Branch under Pastor Frank Uzomefune and Pastor Liberty and it was a Holy Ghost service and before then we had been given teachings about DESIRING the holy spirit and i desired him like never before.

All those who desired Him were asked to come out and i came out with the crowd and everyone was being prayed for and laid hands on and i was not laid hands on and FYI nobody was taught how to speak in tongues before then but i felt a surge of what i would describe as ELECTRICITY flowing through my entire body and i did not know when my mouth opened and words i did not know began to flow out. I did not will myself to speak. The whole body and mouth was not mine to control as i laid on the floor for over 2hrs just speaking in tongues with electricity flowing through my whole body for the entire time. I did not feel tired, i did not stop at any time, my voice volume did not diminish. I could hear myself speaking but could not stop myself.

It was only when Pastor Uzomefune laid hands on me again and asked the Holy spirit to release me that i stopped but for like 5mins after i stopped i still had the electrical sensation all over me and then i realised i was on the floor and all i could say repeatedly was LORD I LOVE YOU on and on.

After that day i could control it and its not triggered via emotion. Its triggered via Relationship and Love.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:

Correction: I didn't say it was "not spiritual". I said it was not supernatural. It was as spiritual as any actual religious experience.

Well the Holy spirit is not Religious. Besides the supernatural is a byproduct of the spiritual so when i said it was not a spiritual experience for you i knew what i was saying.

You did not have a spiritual experience but an emotional one.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by akintom(m): 4:34pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

And what does that translate to?

Let me paraphrase

When speaking known language the test subjects engaged their frontal lobes which showed human effort but when speaking in tongues the frontal lobe was not in use which shows it was not by their effort.

Those tests were carried out on Buddhists and others and showed that they engaged their frontal lobes so what makes speaking in tongues different from them all and clearly showing no human participation in the brain?

Can you draw your conclussion?

This is another evidence of my alleged difficulties that most theists on NL, have in relating intelligently with science, and how to show above average intelligence when they dare comment on scientific works.

To make intelligent, coherent, comprehensible and rational SPEECH, you will NORMALLY require CONSCIOUS mental efforts.

But to utter GIBBERISH and nonsensical SOUND, you CERTAINLY don't require conscious mental efforts.

These are what the study revealed.

Therefore, there's nothing supernatural about speaking in tongue (nonsensical sounds).

A delusional will effortlessly make nonsensical sounds and gibberish, simply because the folk has lost ability to consciously coordinate his thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2016
akintom:

This is another evidence of my alleged difficulties that most theists on NL, have in relating intelligently with science, and how to show above average intelligence when they dare comment on scientific works.

To make intelligent, coherent, comprehensible and rational SPEECH, you will NORMALLY require CONSCIOUS mental efforts.

But to utter GIBBERISH and nonsensical SOUND, you CERTAINLY don't require conscious mental efforts.

These are what the study revealed.

A delusional will effortlessly make nonsensical sounds and gibberish, simply because the folk has lost ability to consciously coordinate his thoughts.

Sigh! Is that all?

First Seun called it subconscious words but he forgets that the subconscious always triggers brain activity which was evidently missing here.

Now you call it gibberish and that the brain does not need to aid gibberish. Lmao chai

You and seun need to have a tete a tete
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by tintingz(m): 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
That's like asking why Niel Armstrong and his team are the only Americans to have landed on the moon. Is anyone stopping other people from doing their own research?
Other scientists have done thier research and they criticized it but it is only Dr Andrew that supported the speaking in tongue thing.

I haven't heard of any non- christian who speaks in tongues. Do not think its the same as making incantations. No one is stopping anyone else from making their own research.
Pagans, Shamans speak in tongue(spiritual language).

Per the bolded, Yes it shows that it is spiritual until proven otherwise.
It is not spiritual as anybody can speak in tongue(fake it), I can speak in tongue and claim it is heavenly language or message. How will you know I'm faking it? undecided
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2016
[quote author=tintingz post=51486818]Other scientists have done thier research and they criticized it but it is only Dr Andrew that supported the speaking in tongue thing.

I think you do not understand what a research is and what parameters go into it.

Shamans teach their language and it is a closely guarded secret which is passed on from generation to generation and is not permitted to be declared to one who is not a shaman

It is not spiritual as anybody can speak in tongue(fake it), I can speak in tongue and claim it is heavenly language or message. How will you I'm faking it? undecided

I already told you that you had no holy ghost experience so faking it will only expose you.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:
When I gave my life to Christ at Foursquare Gospel Church, I was in JSS 1. After we said the sinner's prayer, our Sunday School teacher tried to get us baptised in the Holy Spirit. I was waiting for the Holy Spirit to descend on me and make me speak in tongues, but I didn't feel anything. Most of the girls started speaking in tongues, but I got nothing. I earnestly and sincerely ask God for it, but nothing happened.

When I got to Ife and started attending ECU, the fellowship my parents attended, we had to take a membership class and my teacher and his best friend also tried to get me baptised in the Holy Spirit to no avail. I remember them taking me to the sports center and praying with me and urging me to speak. I patiently waited for the Holy Spirit to descend on me but nothing happened. Then they had to explain that speaking in tongues is by faith. God supplies the word, and we speak them out, they said. To me it sounded as if they were encouraging me to fake it, and suggesting that everyone fakes it, but I just couldn't accept that. I wanted to experience it genuinely, like the apostles did in the bible.

So one day, as I was praying very intensely in my room, I felt a subtle urge to start saying some nonsense words that came to my mind, and I did. And once I started, I found that new words came to my mind and I could continue speaking them. That's how I started speaking in tongues. In my fellowship, it was common for the pastors to ask everyone to start speaking in tongues during worship; now I could join in! But it was also a bit of a disappointment because the experience was emotional, not supernatural. The Holy Spirit didn't take over my body.

When I was re-watching Sinach's video to transcribe her tongues, I actually felt the urge to speak in tongues again. I think listening to the beautiful way she sang the tongues triggered something in me. I bet I can still speak in tongues today if I choose to succumb to the feeling.

Ha!!!.... this is it.

grin

so you actually spoke in tongues before.......i never did and i never desired it.... despite all the powers hitting me......there are other special spiritual gift that i want from God......that which will help people irrespective of their faith.....HEALING...... i need this gift like air......the power of God has healed me so i believe It can heal anything.....including a broken heart grin grin

not joking oo

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

Ha!!!.... this is it.

grin

so you actually spoke in tongues before.......i never did and i never desired it.... despite all the powers hitting me......there are other special spiritual gift that i want from God......that which will help people irrespective of their faith.....HEALING...... i need this gift like air......the power of God has healed me so i believe It can heal anything.....including a broken heart grin grin

not joking oo

cc seun

Meanwhile Urheme you were formerly an Atheist correct?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
Other scientists have done thier research and they criticized it but it is only Dr Andrew that supported the speaking in tongue thing.

It is not spiritual as anybody can speak in tongue(fake it), I can speak in tongue and claim it is heavenly language or message. How will you know I'm faking it? undecided

there is actually a real tongue..... i can tell the difference...

the real one come and does not go empty..... it must treat something.

there is also the regular tongue that people become use to...but however.....the real tongue also float itself in to the mouth of regular tongueor.......if you are sensitive to power, you will know when the pastor just spoke a real tongue.....so you key into it.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

cc seun

Meanwhile Urheme you were formerly an Atheist correct?

very correct.... an abusive one for that matter
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

there is actually a real tongue..... i can tell the difference...

the real one come and does not go empty..... it must treat something.

there is also the regular tongue that people become use to...but however.....the real tongue also float itself in to the mouth of regular tongueor.......if you are sensitive to power, you will know when the pastor just spoke a real tongue.....so you key into it.

I love how simply you put it with emphasis on REAL TONGUE and IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO POWER. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

very correct.... an abusive one for that matter

I bless God for your life. So how do you view the atheists we have today on Nairaland? Whats your opinion about them especially since you were once like them

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:
When I gave my life to Christ at Foursquare Gospel Church, I was in JSS 1. After we said the sinner's prayer, our Sunday School teacher tried to get us baptised in the Holy Spirit. I was waiting for the Holy Spirit to descend on me and make me speak in tongues, but I didn't feel anything. Most of the girls started speaking in tongues, but I got nothing. I earnestly and sincerely ask God for it, but nothing happened.

When I got to Ife and started attending ECU, the fellowship my parents attended, we had to take a membership class and my teacher and his best friend also tried to get me baptised in the Holy Spirit to no avail. I remember them taking me to the sports center and praying with me and urging me to speak. I patiently waited for the Holy Spirit to descend on me but nothing happened. Then they had to explain that speaking in tongues is by faith. God supplies the word, and we speak them out, they said. To me it sounded as if they were encouraging me to fake it, and suggesting that everyone fakes it, but I just couldn't accept that. I wanted to experience it genuinely, like the apostles did in the bible.

So one day, as I was praying very intensely in my room, I felt a subtle urge to start saying some nonsense words that came to my mind, and I did. And once I started, I found that new words came to my mind and I could continue speaking them. That's how I started speaking in tongues. In my fellowship, it was common for the pastors to ask everyone to start speaking in tongues during worship; now I could join in! But it was also a bit of a disappointment because the experience was emotional, not supernatural. The Holy Spirit didn't take over my body.

When I was re-watching Sinach's video to transcribe her tongues, I actually felt the urge to speak in tongues again. I think listening to the beautiful way she sang the tongues triggered something in me. I bet I can still speak in tongues today if I choose to succumb to the feeling.

Chai!!!!

Hardmirror says he still speaks in tongues too.

Am sure it can be caused by an unclean spirit. The "urge" and hard mirror says he feels power afterwards. Obviously it's not God's power whom he derives pleasure blaspheming.

That's why I only do things after I know what they mean. And there is nothing as dangerous in this times as prayers done to impart "spiritual gifts and powers."

2 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 5:18pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia, thanks for sharing your experience.

The feeling you described as "electricity" is best described as a tingling sensation. People often feel it when they listen to really moving music or watch powerful scenes in movies or when they orgasm or when something really scares them. It's associated with intense emotional states. You reacted to it in the way that you did probably because you interpreted it as a sign that the Holy Spirit was literally touching you all over.

What was your pastor doing during the 2 hours that you were lying on the floor, speaking in tongues? Weren't you disturbing the service? Also, why did the pastor have to direct the Holy Spirit to release you before you stopped? Didn't the Holy Spirit know that it was time to stop?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:
I was in Church of God Mission festac Branch under Pastor Frank Uzomefune and Pastor Liberty and it was a Holy Ghost service and before then we had been given teachings about DESIRING the holy spirit and i desired him like never before.

All those who desired Him were asked to come out and i came out with the crowd and everyone was being prayed for and laid hands on and i was not laid hands on and FYI nobody was taught how to speak in tongues before then but i felt a surge of what i would describe as ELECTRICITY flowing through my entire body and i did not know when my mouth opened and words i did not know began to flow out. I did not will myself to speak. The whole body and mouth was not mine to control as i laid on the floor for over 2hrs just speaking in tongues with electricity flowing through my whole body for the entire time. I did not feel tired, i did not stop at any time, my voice volume did not diminish. I could hear myself speaking but could not stop myself.

It was only when Pastor Uzomefune laid hands on me again and asked the Holy spirit to release me that i stopped but for like 5mins after i stopped i still had the electrical sensation all over me and then i realised i was on the floor and all i could say repeatedly was LORD I LOVE YOU on and on.

After that day i could control it and its not triggered via emotion. Its triggered via Relationship and Love.

what an experience.......
but i read that tongue does not help the people......because you actually spoke mysteries....and it does not edify God...1cor 14 vs 1-6
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 29, 2016
[quote author=Seun post=51487628]naijadeyhia, thanks for sharing your experience.

The feeling you described as "electricity" is best described as a tingling sensation. People often feel it when they listen to really moving music or watch powerful scenes in movies or when they orgasm or when something really scares them. It's associated with intense emotional states. You reacted to you in the way that you did probably because you interpreted it as a sign that the Holy Spirit was literally touching you all over.

Thanks for your response. I know what i felt and it was no tingling. It was like actually holding on to a live electrical current and this is a far cry from tingling sensation.

What was your pastor doing during the 2 hours that you were lying on the floor, speaking in tongues? Weren't you disturbing the service? Also, why did the pastor have to direct the Holy Spirit to release you before you stopped? Didn't the Holy Spirit know that it was time to stop?

The Pastor was busy ministering to others because we were many who came out. Besides i was not the only one on the floor. You see in that first experience it is absolute bliss and words cannot describe the love that flows in you at that time. Its beyond anything i have ever felt in my entire life. The Holy spirit would have loved me to continue all night if he pleased and i would have done same as i was lost in love. Well my Pastor had to close the service so i guess he couldnt leave me lying there. The Holy spirit is not constrained as we are but the Spirit of the Prophet is subject to the Prophet.

1st Cor 14: 32
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

what an experience.......
but i read that tongue does not help the people......because you actually spoke mysteries....and it does not edify God...1cor 14 vs 1-6

That was the first time and it had to come with evidence. That was my evidence. I now choose when to speak so as to make edification practicable. When alone i blast away as i please but when in the church except when led by the spirit of God i do not speak

2 Likes

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2016
tintingz:
Can't be proven!

A language they obviously learn! Not the same with Christianity. You aren't taught nothing!

Learn to say only what you know. Not everyone speaks in tongues. The experiment wasn't the same for those who faked it as there is activity in their frontal lobe. Those who speak genuine tongues experience no activity in the frontal lobe.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 5:30pm On Nov 29, 2016
Lol... I'm not at war with anyone. So can you explain what happened that led to your fall?
Ranchhoddas:
I did not mention hypnotism. Not everyone is at war with you so you can stop reading meanings into my post.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:31pm On Nov 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I bless God for your life. So how do you view the atheists we have today on Nairaland? Whats your opinion about them especially since you were once like them

mere man cannot convince them.....no amount of Bible preaching and teaching can convince them as it did not convince me either........A manifestation of the power of God will convince them.......the Power of God in 2king 5: 14 and 15 blasted the unbelief off Honourable Naaman.

i pray that they experience such power and breakthrough in there lives smiley

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 29, 2016
urheme:

mere man cannot convince them.....no amount of Bible preaching and teaching can convince them as it did not convince me either........A manifestation of the power of God will convince them.......the Power of God in 2king 5: 14 and 15 blasted the unbelief off Honourable Naaman.

i pray that they experience such power and breakthrough in there lives smiley

Here is an Atheist who just encountered Jesus less than a year ago and is already a Preacher of the Gospel.

My brother i love you with the love of Christ. May God keep you focused and standing in Him in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2016
You atheists do same. Anyone who left atheism to you was never an atheist. Moreover you really were never a christian cuz true Christians see proof of God. Christians can only backslide. They can never become atheists.

Yes! Since atheism deals only on scientific facts I would like to know how the hypnotism occurred.
jonbellion:
what kind of no true Scotsman fallacy is this
Anybody that left Christianity was never a christian??
Well I do know I've given my life to Christ and was in the choir when I was still a christian
Ummm I beg your pardon@thie second sentence
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by urheme: 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:
naijadeyhia, thanks for sharing your experience.

The feeling you described as "electricity" is best described as a tingling sensation[i][/i]. People often feel it when they listen to really moving music or watch powerful scenes in movies or when they orgasm or when something really scares them. It's associated with intense emotional states. You reacted to it in the way that you did probably because you interpreted it as a sign that the Holy Spirit was literally touching you all over.

tingling sensation grin grin grin grin grin

how i wish my was even more tingling...

read my thread...the beating, bruises, brokenness, pepper sensation and all manner of the like...... that i felt.......perhaps... it has a way of hitting you....... i ges he is a gentle person and needed not be bullied into submission to the power of God.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Ranchhoddas: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
Lol... I'm not at war with anyone. So can you explain what happened that led to your fall?
I don't know exactly. I felt something like a mild electric jolt and my legs weakened. Na so I come stagger fall for ground like drunkard. I got up, dusted myself and went home expecting a miracle...
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by hopefulLandlord: 5:51pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
You atheists do same. Anyone who left atheism to you was never an atheist. Moreover you really were never a christian cuz true Christians see proof of God. Christians can only backslide. They can never become atheists.

Yes! Since atheism deals only on scientific facts I would like to know how the hypnotism occurred.

its rare to see atheists commit the no true Scotsman fallacy bro

but just look at every thread of someone leaving Christianity for atheism and you'll see Christians commit the fallacy, every damn thread or almost
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I don't know exactly. I felt something like a mild electric jolt and my legs weakened. Na so I come stagger fall for ground like drunkard. I got up, dusted myself and went home expecting a miracle...

Did you see any electrical appliance with the one who prayed for you?

The reason why a lot of people say God is not real is likened to your narration here. You came to Church, were prayed for and after it you went expecting a Miracle...Under what Conditions?

Jesus Gave a parable of the Sower and how some seeds fell among thorns and by the way side and then on good soil. In order to receive and have an expectation come to pass you need to be A GOOD SOIL.

Some come as they are just to see if God would do it without any effort from them to purify their heart and when God does not do what they desire they turn around to blame God and conveniently forgetting that Sin and God do not mix.

God can only break this protocol if it is absolutely your time for liberation and often times if he has bigger plans for you just like in the case of Urheme.
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Omudia11: 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2016
Thank you very much for that reply. But may I ask another question... Where you exposed to any form of electrical appliance or wires hence the shock?
Ranchhoddas:
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 29, 2016
Seun:

Foursquare Gospel church? Make una come see my church member ooh.. Suen, come back. Jesus still loves you. hehehehe..

1 Like

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Emmanystone: 6:22pm On Nov 29, 2016
jizzus:

Firstly they fined tuned me with verses from the Bible........then they set the atmosphere with some nice songs(yes those gospel songs are nice)then everyone else started speaking it........motivation talks of "its in Ur belly just speak it out" more melodious music........adrenaline rush and the the fact that everyone else was saying something I muttered some words and voila you've been filled with the holy ghost

In conclusion :
How to get filled with the holy ghost
1. Tell them stories of others who have received the holy spirit.

2. Fill the atmosphere with sonorous and melodious tunes(very necessary )

3. Give them the "its in your belly" push

jizzus
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Ranchhoddas: 6:35pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
Thank you very much for that reply. But may I ask another question... Where you exposed to any form of electrical appliance or wires hence the shock?
Why are you asking me this?
Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Emmanystone: 6:38pm On Nov 29, 2016
Omudia11:
Wow! I didn't even know this. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Welcomed brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues by Emmanystone: 6:39pm On Nov 29, 2016
jonbellion:
Your ministry is to be cancelling my words? lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / Will This My Act Of Good Lead Me To Hell? / 'Religion Has Done More Harm To Man Than Technology' - Twitter User Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.