Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain (14354 Views)

See Gov Fayose Dancing After Winning all The Elections In Ekiti / House Of Representative Aspirant Dumps PDP For APC After Winning Primary / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 2:27am On Dec 15, 2009
gongo aso:

@eldee and co
It's apparent some people will never understand what the LAW really is. Aeons of breaking traffic laws and rules in Nigeria has sunken into their existence they see no need to obey simple law. The man broke a law, he's facing the music, country of origin or previous exploits will not help him out. We are only crying foul cos he's a Nigerian. . . .  he's represented them b4. . . so. . . he can drive when he was told not to  
You can't but wonder how some peeps reason so crappily  undecided

I think i just have to follow your advice.

These noise-makers cannot patch on ma wavelength.
They believe one can only become a criminal when he carries a gun to rob.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:29am On Dec 15, 2009
honeric01:

so the punishment for traffic offense is deportation?

Nah  . . . the punishment for multiple criminal convictions is deportation.
This is the same for any foreign national be it Obama, Usain Bolt even dead Michael Jackson.

gongo aso:

@eldee and co
It's apparent some people will never understand what the LAW really is. Aeons of breaking traffic laws and rules in Nigeria has sunken into their existence they see no need to obey simple law. The man broke a law, he's facing the music, country of origin or previous exploits will not help him out. We are only crying foul cos he's a Nigerian. . . .  he's represented them b4. . . so. . . he can drive when he was told not to  
You can't but wonder how some peeps reason so crappily  undecided

That's the problem with Nigeria.
Half the country's working hard at making the country better, half the country's doing whatever they please with the little power they have.

The V.I traffic lights are probably the most disregarded traffic signals in the world.
You can't count how many deaths they've caused
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:32am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

you must be a citizen of a country before you can represent them in any international sporting event,
the country you are about to represent must show your passport to the appropiate sport governing body.
dragging urself to the screening whatever makes no meaning.

That is a misinformed assumption.
You don't need to be a citizen of a country to compete even by IAAF rules.
All you need is to have proof that you're in the process of applying . . . e.g Residence Permit, ILR.

For heavens sake how long did it take the likes of Obikwelu to get citizenship then?? 2 years??
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by vislabraye(m): 2:33am On Dec 15, 2009
British Laws must be ridiculous, I just imagine whether it's the same in US. If for instance Obama commits a heinous crime after he leaves office, that means he can be deported back to Kenya. Or let's say Arnold Schwarzenegger commits murder, then he should be sent back to Austria. I really don't understand the Brits.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 2:34am On Dec 15, 2009
eldee:

Nah  . . . the punishment for multiple criminal convictions is deportation.
This is the same for any foreign national be it Obama, Usain Bolt even dead Michael Jackson.

That's the problem with Nigeria.
Half the country's working hard at making the country better, half the country's doing whatever they please with the little power they have.

The V.I traffic lights are probably the most disregarded traffic signals in the world.
You can't count how many deaths they've caused

what are u saying? he didn't just get to uk, he's been there for more than 12 years.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 2:35am On Dec 15, 2009
vislabraye:

British Laws must be ridiculous, I just imagine whether it's the same in US. If for instance Obama commits a heinous crime after he leaves office, that means he can be deported back to Kenya. Or let's say Arnold Schwarzenegger commits murder, then he should be sent back to Austria. I really don't understand the Brits.  

Obama carries an American passport. . . . . . .This Naija man does not own one.
The fact that he has spent 40000000 years in the UK does not make him a British citizen.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by gongoaso1: 2:38am On Dec 15, 2009
honeric01:

what are u saying? he didn't just get to uk, he's been there for more than 12 years.

~Sauron~:

Obama carries an American passport. . . . . . .This Naija man does not own one.
The fact that he has spent 40000000 years in the UK does not make him a British citizen.

smiley
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by lite5(m): 2:38am On Dec 15, 2009
@eldee,  shame on you!!!  traffic offence is a misdemeanor and it's not purnishable by 'deportation'
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by mamagee3(f): 2:39am On Dec 15, 2009
British are scorpions. angry
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by TOPE20001(f): 2:43am On Dec 15, 2009
So he won GOLD, so friggin what?
I am sure he didnt just drive without licence, he MUST have done series of something else for a judge to have him deported.

Now i see why nigerians are still gettin away with crimes in nigeria. undecided
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 15, 2009
lite5:

@eldee,  shame on you!!!  traffic offence is a misdemeanor and it's not purnishable by 'deportation'

A prolific offender, driving without a licence after being disqualified, is a potential killer. The fact no one was hurt is irrelevant. Or do you suggest the law waits till he kills, or maims someone before they take action?

DUI is a criminal offence. Driving offences are often civil. Driving whilst disqualified, under the influence, or without a valid insurance certificate converts civil to criminal. No half measures. Why would he show a blatant disregard for the law, just because he won 5 gold medals? The law is no respecter of status in the UK, which I think our country Nigeria needs to emulate.

A criminal conviction can trigger deportation, that's the way it is.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by hbrednic: 2:46am On Dec 15, 2009
[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:46am On Dec 15, 2009
lite5:

You obviously know better than his lawyers, the UK Border Agency, the CPS, The , the judge and the activists (that are only appealing the decision on the grounds of human rights violations)
That Harvard Law degree could probably help the man . . . tell him to fire his lawyers.

Siena:

A prolific offender, driving without a licence after being disqualified, is a potential killer. The fact no one was hurt is irrelevant. Or do you suggest the law waits till he kills, or maims someone before they take action?

DUI is a criminal offence. Driving offences are often civil. Driving whilst disqualified, under the influence, or without a valid insurance certificate converts civil to criminal. No half measures. Why would he show a blatant disregard for the law, just because he won 5 gold medals? The law is no respecter of status in the UK, which I think our country Nigeria needs to emulate.

I've tried hard to convey this to them. . . let's hope they listen to you.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by TOPE20001(f): 2:47am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

[/b]

many countries do cut corners and grand citizenship to any athelete they want to represent them,
so Obikwelus case should be no surprise.

UK will prolly cut corners n give u citizenship if you join the ARMY grin
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 2:48am On Dec 15, 2009
Siena:

Thanks for your post, man. . . . .

Nigerians can be too thick to grasp basic things.
What has staying in 12 years in Britain gotta do with this?
Wasn't Snoop Dogg deported from Heathrow and was told never to return to the UK again?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by gongoaso1: 2:51am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

many countries do cut corners and grand citizenship to any athelete they want to represent them,
so Obikwelus case should be no surprise

this kinda statement can only come from a "thorough-bred" Nigerian.
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by cold(m): 2:52am On Dec 15, 2009
Siena:

My thoughts exactly.You have gotten off two moving violations with only warnings and you stubbornly went ahead to execute a third countin on your disability and 5 gold medals to bail you out.This is arrant nonsense,the guy shot himself in the foot 1 for not utilising the opportunity he had to regularise his status and 2 for treating the law with such levity.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:53am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

[/b]

so Obikwelus case should be no surprise.

[i]At the moment residency is one of the main qualifications and athletes can compete for a country as long as they are in the process of applying for citizenship even though they may not get it eventually./i]

These are IAAF rules . . . I hate misinformed assumptions.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by hbrednic: 2:54am On Dec 15, 2009
[quote
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by YourMum: 2:55am On Dec 15, 2009
Man with polio is driving car.
So what if he was deported? Dan Foster was deported too so who gives a damn.
So whats the big deal about someone being deported?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:56am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

what has snoop gut to do with the case here.
the guy represented britain as a citizen in para-olympic games.
how come he is no longer a british?

This unrepentant ignorance is getting annoying.
You couldn't research before posting, I'm doing it for you and you're still acting up.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 2:56am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

what has snoop gut to do with the case here.
the guy represented britain as a citizen in para-olympic games.
how come he is no longer a british?

He was never British - he didn't take the neccessary steps to become a citizen. If you remain married to a Brit for 50 years, and don't apply for citizenship, you don't automatically become British on the strength of being married to a Brit.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by hbrednic: 2:57am On Dec 15, 2009
[quote
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by gongoaso1: 2:58am On Dec 15, 2009
eldee:

This unrepentant ignorance is getting annoying.
You couldn't research before posting, I'm doing it for you and you're still acting up.

grin grin grin
roflmao
told ya. . . you are trying too much  tongue
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 3:00am On Dec 15, 2009
Siena:

He was never British - he didn't take the neccessary steps to become a citizen. If you remain married to a Brit for 50 years, and don't apply for citizenship, you don't automatically become British on the strength of being married to a Brit.

I think that is where these people are missing the point.

They think once you are in the country for more than 10 years. . . . .A British passport will just fly from the Home Office into their cribs and bang. . .they become a British citizen.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 3:01am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

may be you can show us a clear evidence,
so that i will stop assuming grin

Do some basic research, buddy! You want to be spoon-fed too?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 3:03am On Dec 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

I think that is where these people are missing the point.

They think once you are in the country for more than 10 years. . . . .A British passport will just fly from the Home Office into their cribs and bang. . .they become a British citizen.

Hahahaha! cheesy
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 3:04am On Dec 15, 2009
hbrednic:

may be you can show us a clear evidence,
so that i will stop assuming  grin
At the moment residency is one of the main qualifications and athletes can compete for a country as long as they are in the process of applying for citizenship even though they may not get it eventually.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/athletics-iaaf-to-tighten-up-rules-on-nationality-1113509.html

These where the rules as at the time he competed. . . proof that he didn't need to be a citizen then.
What more do you want me to do?? Pay your high school tuition fees for you to comprehend this??
I'll be here to help. cheesy

gongo aso:

grin grin grin
roflmao
told ya. . . you are trying too much  tongue

How will I be able to live with myself knowing there's still one more life I didn't impact??
It's pro-bono, we need to help these guys, they are Nigeria's future leaders grin grin
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 3:08am On Dec 15, 2009
eldee:

At the moment residency is one of the main qualifications and athletes can compete for a country as long as they are in the process of applying for citizenship even though they may not get it eventually.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/athletics-iaaf-to-tighten-up-rules-on-nationality-1113509.html

These where the rules as at the time he competed. . . proof that he didn't need to be a citizen then.
What more do you want me to do?? Pay your high school tuition fees for you to comprehend this??
I'll be here to help. cheesy

He wants you to [i]b[/i]reast-feed him.
Buncha knuckle-heads.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by gongoaso1: 3:16am On Dec 15, 2009
eldee:

How will I be able to live with myself knowing there's still one more life I didn't impact??
It's pro-bono, we need to help these guys, they are Nigeria's future leaders grin grin

strike out the "future" and replace with current lipsrsealed
grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 3:22am On Dec 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

He wants you to [i]b[/i]reast-feed him.
Buncha knuckle-heads.
Hehehe . . . I thought the whole point of arguing on Nairaland is the assumption that everyone here knows how to use the internet.
I might be wrong though grin grin

gongo aso:

strike out the "future" and replace with current lipsrsealed
grin cheesy grin
Hehehe . . . you wan put Oga Admin for trouble.
Seun's not a Nigerian citizen so he'll prolly get deported to Mogadishu grin grin
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by duduspace(m): 3:33am On Dec 15, 2009
eldee:

Good attitude eldee, strange what assumptions people make in ignorance. I'm almost sure the unnecesarily emotional lot won't thank you for the information yu've passed across. I really didn't previously know about the residency requirement being enough to represent an adopted country in IAAF competitions but I don't think it works that way for FIFA competitions like the world cup though?

I think IAAF should tighten up the rules though as it does seem odd to have represented a country in an International competition of Olympic status and then be deported from that country as a non-national which is why this particular case is sure to evoke some sympathy for Onwubiko. I know he can't be deported on basis of a criminal conviction though if he's got a valid passport as that basically gives him the rights of a national.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue / Dangote Vies With China Over Tomato Market / EFCC Silent On Whereabouts Of Theodore Orji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.