Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? (17957 Views)

Poll: Should women always obey their husbands?

Yes: 60% (51 votes)
No: 40% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

Women Must Be Submissive In A R/ship? Ladies Your Say? / Women Should Be Submissive With Their Husbands / The Kind Of Guy That Women Find Attractive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by SisiKill1: 1:09pm On Jan 14, 2010
Children! Children! Children! No fighting pls. tongue

Now someone mentioned that some women don't submit even when the husbands are loving. Errr. . . Excuse sir, what about the women who submit to abusive, unreliable men?

I'll even go as far as saying that most abused women are the usually the most submissive women.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by noblegas2(m): 1:16pm On Jan 14, 2010
woye77:

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." Ephesians 5:22 - that's what the bible says but it seems nowadays the world is changing and the whole world is changing. Ladies are becoming westernised and are finding it increasingly hard to submit to their partners. Why is this so? is submission still relevant in modern day climate? Guys what are your views on this?

dats d cause of the whole thing,(MODERN DAY), for a wife to do d laundry, she claims dat only a slave does dat or it *MUST* be shared, all in the name of 21st century!!! no wonder some females are still single at 40.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by oluclem(m): 1:19pm On Jan 14, 2010
When did men stop loving there wife? is it now or since the creation of the world?
cos every NL ladies are claiming that they are not submissive cos their husband doesn't love them
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by netotse(m): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2010
i think a lot of men spend too much time complaining about how women dont submit, and too little time working on themselves so they develop into a man that is worthy of such 'submission' in my opinion we men have a lot of growing up to do

P.S. i'm not ready to argue this seeing as i haven't reached the stage of having a woman submit to me, but one thing i'm darned sure about is that if i want a woman to submit to me then it should be because i deserve it, enough with all this why cant. . .cos the bible. . .
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by mdfishers: 1:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
Simple as the nose on the face. Couples don't marry for real love but lust. lust for money, beauty, one vanity to another. If we marry our friends there will be mutual respect, trust and co operation then love will bud. It is not the in place of the man only, to love nor of the woman only, to submit. Good luck!!!
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by SisiKill1: 1:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
@Netotse
If only you could see me now. . .you'll see that i'm on my knees kowtowing to the wisdom in the words you have just spoken.

How did you get so effing smart?
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by oluclem(m): 1:32pm On Jan 14, 2010
mdfishers:

Simple as the nose on the face. Couples don't marry for real love but lust. lust for money, beauty, one vanity to another. If we marry our friends there will be mutual respect, trust and co operation then love will bud. It is not the in place of the man only, to love nor of the woman only, to submit. Good luck!!!

True talk
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by otukpo(f): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2010
netotse:

i think a lot of men spend too much time complaining about how women dont submit, and too little time working on themselves so they develop into a man that is worthy of such 'submission' in my opinion we men have a lot of growing up to do

P.S. i'm not ready to argue this seeing as i haven't reached the stage of having a woman submit to me, but one thing i'm darned sure about is that if i want a woman to submit to me then it should be because i deserve it, enough with all this why cant. . .cos the bible. . .

God bless u jare.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Bokoharam: 3:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
Ask married men, & the result would tell u that over 90% (there's still about 10% left anyway) of wives don't submit. Somebody mentioned Westernisation, yes, it's true. It is worse in working/independent women.

But i dare ask women this question: Why is it that when u re a girlfriend/courting, you pretend to b submissive, but the moment u enter as a wife, u become something else & throw away submission? If u know not-submitting is good, start from day one, let's see if the man will marry you in the first place. Aren't most (Not all) women hypocrits?

Now, look at this:

The Bible is NOT silly. God is also not foolosh! Which injuction comes first in that Bible? Submit or love?

Ephesians 5:22 – Wives submit to your husbands
Ephesians 5:25 – Husbands Love your wives

God is the greatest chronologist I’ve ever seen. He is NOT an author of confusion, and that’s why he organizes whatever He says & does. He also knows the implication of His actions and word. Be ye NOT deceived and let no one teach you anything else.

Women, yours is to first submit; and every other thing shall be added.

- In s.ex, u must submit,

- In listening to him, u must submit

- In submission itself, u must submit

It is also NOT different in Koran or in any other religion of the world. Can you challenge that?
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by bankyiie(m): 3:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
Hmmm, This topic is a volatile one but i will say my bit.
1st - I strongly believe that irrespective of behaviour, financial and social status of the husbands, wives SHOULD totally submit to their husbands.
It might sound old fashioned but that is the secret of the success of marriages in the older days. Today a wife will leave the house for a party and the
husband is not aware, it is wrong. Without being biblical or over traditional i beleive that the head of the family is the man and he should be accorded all the respect and total submission.

2nd- I also know for a fact that the moment a woman submits totally to her husband she earns his respect a 100% and also wins his heart

3rd - Men should learn not to take their wife's submission as a sign of stupidity or weakness but as a recognition of their position as the head f the family and they should strive to ensure three things basically.
- Provide for the needs of their family
- Love and respect their wives
- Ensure that they preserve the marriage at all costs .

I hope i have spoken well
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by kokoye(m): 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
Pray you marry the right lady, be responsible and let her see that you truly care about your family.

See if she will be submissive or not.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by bawomolo(m): 4:49pm On Jan 14, 2010
i don't see any reason why a lady should submit. marriage is an equal partnership IMO
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 14, 2010
bawomolo:

i don't see any reason why a lady should submit. marriage is an equal partnership IMO

and all this time, I been say you were nothing but a pangolo. see as you dey impress me
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2010
kokoye:

Pray you marry the right lady, be responsible and let her see that you truly care about your family.

See if she will be submissive or not.

True.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 14, 2010
netotse:

End of thread. kiss
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 5:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
Women don't see that their men want to love them wholeheartedly, If there's anything that bruises a man, it's the lack of respect their women give them, Men crave respect from their wives/girlfriends, whatever.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 5:23pm On Jan 14, 2010
stillwater:

End of thread. kiss

Ther's no end to the tread, cos we all know no one is perfect. Even relationships with zero quarrels and fights are never perfect. Compromise is usually reached at some point. I noticed that it's actually the women who have always had this independent approach to life, or those that have had history of single parenting as kids, or those whose parents used to fight each other, that usually resorts to this, just to assert their importance. If only women would learn to be meek,, marriage would be so blissful.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 14, 2010
sleekymag:

Ther's no end to the tread, cos we all know no one is perfect. Even relationships with zero quarrels and fights are never perfect. Compromise is usually reached at some point. I noticed that it's actually the women who have always had this independent approach to life, or those that have had history of single parenting as kids, or those whose parents used to fight each other, that usually resorts to this, just to assert their importance. If only women would learn to be meek,, marriage would be so blissful.

A lot of abused women as Sisikill pointed out obey their husbands to the fullest, would you call that a blissful marriage?
I hope you are a christian. undecided
Humility is one of the fruits of the spirit. The bible does not specify that only women be meek. In fact it says 'Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth'. Christians are made to strive towards meekness, it's not gender specific.
I know some women take the submissive thing out of contest to make it sound like a master-slave relationship.
I don't believe in that and do not align myself to that analogy. Two captains cannot rule a ship. smiley
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by eldee(m): 5:46pm On Jan 14, 2010
Seriously, no one wants a slave for a wife.
It's really boring . . . besides, your children grow up thinking of women as inferior beings.

Mutual respect works perfectly. You use it with all the women at work and outside, why must your wife be different??
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2010
stillwater:

A lot of abused women as Sisikill pointed out obey their husbands to the fullest, would you call that a blissful marriage?
I hope you are a christian. undecided
Humility is one of the fruits of the spirit. The bible does not specify that only women be meek. In fact it says 'Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth'. Christians are made to strive towards meekness, it's not gender specific.
I know some women take the submissive thing out of contest to make it sound like a master-slave relationship.
I don't believe in that and do not align myself to that analogy. Two captains cannot rule a ship. smiley

Basically, the point is when the foundation isn't right, you can't get the best results.Most of such women knew the kind of husband they were marrying but decided to overlook it during courtship.

Yes, I'm a christian,and a very good one at that. Meekness is not gender-specific like you rightly mentioned, but the mandate of the woman in the scriptures is to submit only meek womencan submit to their husbands. Men, on the other hand are mandated to love their wives as Christ loved the church.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
bawomolo:

i guess we'll wait till you get married. We'll see if you still hold the same opinion.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 5:51pm On Jan 14, 2010
And no one is saying it should be a master-slave thing (far from that).
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
sleekymag:

Basically, the point is when the foundation isn't right, you can't get the best results.Most of such women knew the kind of husband they were marrying but decided to overlook it during courtship.

Yes, I'm a christian,and a very good one at that. Meekness is not gender-specific like you rightly mentioned, but the mandate of the woman in the scriptures is to submit only meek womencan submit to their husbands. Men, on the other hand are mandated to love their wives as Christ loved the church.

You really need to specify what submission entails on your part, this one you are laying too much emphasis on it.

It sounds more like "you must submit to me, if you don't I'll kill you."
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Akebulan: 5:56pm On Jan 14, 2010
eldee:

Seriously, no one wants a slave for a wife.
It's really boring . . . besides, your children grow up thinking of women as inferior beings.

Mutual respect works perfectly. You use it with all the women at work and outside, why must your wife be different??

Bless your heart.

The bible say `Treat your wife AS IF she was the weaker vessel

It didnt say that she is to be the weaker vessel, but a man is to treat his wife as if she was one. The bible aint saying to beat, talk down to, mistreat, (or whatever else) , her because she is weak. It says to treat her as you would a weaker vessel. in other words, BE GENTLE in your dealings with her.
it is well
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 6:03pm On Jan 14, 2010
stillwater:

You really need to specify what submission entails on your part, this one you are laying too much emphasis on it.

It sounds more like "you must submit to me, if you don't I'll kill you."

No---not at all. Maybe i'm talking from my own experiences. Lets say i've been in a relationship for over four years, we're in courtship currently, and she's this beautiful, intelligent and classy girl. A 1st class graduate, things moving smooth for her, (same with me too), But she's always had this independent outlook to life, Hardly takes advice (likes doing what'son her mind), am older and more experienced so of course i tell her things to beware of but she thinks am being too protective, often times it turns out i'm right, and i'm usually pissed. Everything about the relationship is perfect except for the one fact (d submissive factor). Sometimes i just wish she'd just shut her mouth while i'm talking, not that i'm saying one and she's saying five, see what i mean?
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
sleekymag:

No---not at all. Maybe i'm talking from my own experiences. Lets say i've been in a relationship for over four years, we're in courtship currently, and she's this beautiful, intelligent and classy girl. A 1st class graduate, things moving smooth for her, (same with me too), But she's always had this independent outlook to life, Hardly takes advice (likes doing what'son her mind), am older and more experienced so of course i tell her things to beware of but she thinks am being too protective, often times it turns out i'm right, and i'm usually pissed. Everything about the relationship is perfect except for the one fact (d submissive factor). Sometimes i just wish she'd just shut her mouth while i'm talking, not that i'm saying one and she's saying five, see what i mean?

Supposed you are dating an older woman, would you also shut up while she is talking?
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by eldee(m): 6:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
sleekymag:

No---not at all. Maybe i'm talking from my own experiences. Lets say i've been in a relationship for over four years, we're in courtship currently,  and she's this beautiful, intelligent and classy girl. A 1st class graduate, things moving smooth for her, (same with me too), But she's always had this independent outlook to life, Hardly takes advice (likes doing what'son her mind), am older and more experienced so of course i tell her things to beware of but she thinks am being too protective, often times it turns out i'm right, and i'm usually pissed. Everything about the relationship is perfect except for the one fact (d submissive factor). Sometimes i just wish she'd just shut her mouth while i'm talking, not that i'm saying one and she's saying five, see what i mean?

Then your problem is communication not submission.
Believe me, if you give anyone a sensible reason to do sumn, he/she will.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 6:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
michelin89:

Supposed you are dating an older woman, would you also shut up while she is talking?

The man is always supposed to be the head, age notwithstanding,
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 14, 2010
michelin89:

No, she does the shutting up. I've been there so i know.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by sleekymag(m): 6:10pm On Jan 14, 2010
eldee:

Then your problem is communication not submission.
Believe me, if you give anyone a sensible reason to do sumn, he/she will.

What if its not communication, cos we communicate perfectly. What if its "i too know" on her part?
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by thebaron(m): 6:11pm On Jan 14, 2010
Well I have seen so many posts on this thread, some intelligent and some others are well, Let me start like this, those who want to talk about this particular verse should ensure they read the whole thing and get the message clearly.
Ephesians 5:22-25 Starts by telling wives to submit to their as unto the Lord. This means a wife MUST submit to the husband as if he (the husband) was the Lord. She (the wife) is asked to submit because the man is the head of the home. However, the man is asked to love his wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it. What did Christ do for the church? He gave himself for her (the church) without reservation he was willing to die for her. Mind you He (Christ) did this before anyone ever submitted to Him. This is what a husband must do. He must be willing to put her (his wife) first in all things.
The subject of marriage is one that is grossly misunderstood. This is the reason why the divorce rate is going up everyday in Nigeria. When a man loves his wife he wont abuse her either verbally, emotionally or physically. When a man loves his wife he will be faithful to her no matter what the condition is. He will not put his mother or family before her.
In the same vein, the question of a wife submitting to her husband is not conditional. As a matter of fact none of the instruction in the scripture we are using as a reference is a suggestion. They are profound instructions and anyone who wants to have a successful marriage will gladly obey them. I want to conclude by saying that if you are not ready to play your role as stated in the Ephesians 5:22-25 either as a man or woman then you are not ready to get married cos you will definitely make a mess of your marriage when you get into it.
Re: Why Do Women Find It Hard To Be Submissive In Relationships? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 14, 2010
sleekymag:

The man is always supposed to be the head, age notwithstanding,

I was trying to make an analogy with your post.

sleekymag:

No---not at all. Maybe i'm talking from my own experiences. Lets say i've been in a relationship for over four years, we're in courtship currently,  and she's this beautiful, intelligent and classy girl. A 1st class graduate, things moving smooth for her, (same with me too), But she's always had this independent outlook to life, Hardly takes advice (likes doing what'son her mind), am older and more experienced [/b]so of course i tell her things to beware of but she thinks am being too protective, often times it turns out i'm right, and i'm usually pissed. Everything about the relationship is perfect except for the one fact [b](d submissive factor). Sometimes i just wish she'd just shut her mouth while i'm talking, not that i'm saying one and she's saying five, see what i mean?

You didn't mention anything regarding your gender being designed by the almighty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pls Help Look At What I Saw After Having S3x With Her / Quit Toxic And Abusive Relationships Or Marriage / Is It Right To Encourage Our Kids To Seductively Dance/twerk?(pic/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.