Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,479 members, 7,812,473 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown (106114 Views)

Households Adopt Extreme Coping Measures As Hunger Spreads / Benin City Residents Take To The Streets To Celebrate Peter Obi In Fanfare / 2022 Budget: Buhari, Osinbajo To Spend 508m On Food As Hunger Bites Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by chiemmanuel(m): 9:44am On Apr 02, 2020
God bless you
onatisi:
This lockdown lockdown they are shouting all over will eventually end in chaos . It is absolutely insane to lockdown ppl in their houses for 2 weeks without providing them any food and expect them not to react.
Even the countries that started this lockdown method didn't do it this way, they are providing daily food to everyone and during the lockdown,they are going into every house testing everyone.
We are just telling ppl to lockdown , we are not testing them to know who and who is infected?
What the fg should have done is to close all schools ,give workers both state and federal workers 4 weeks break with double pay, ask all non essential private business to close for the same period , this will automatically reduce movement by 50% , give food markets 8hrs period to open every day. And establish testing centers in all wards and local government areas ,.TESTING IS THE KEY TO DEFEATING CORONA VIRUS NOT LOCKDOWN . the more you get ppl tested, the more you will understand and know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Activeman391(m): 9:46am On Apr 02, 2020
Sotland:

Die in which hunger? Even if you give Nigerians 1 month notice to lock down;still a lot of people will cry of hunger.. Did this so called hunger starts today or yesterday? The same negligence by the govt and ignorance of the people led countries like Italy,UK, US and Spain in the state of emergency that they are.. Are we waiting till there is an outburst of this epidemic in Nigeria before we believe it is real and in the country??

Did you get to read or listen to BBC, CNN or ALJ news? 500+ dies daily in UK, 700+ in Spain just yesterday and 800+ in Italy. These are countries where there is an outbreak. Now is this what we are waiting to see happen in Nigeria? Is it until then that people will believe its happening and stay put at home? I almost shed tears yesterday whilst sitting in front of my TV and watching news hour..

A lot of people claim Nigeria weather is too hot for covid-19. Is our weather hotter than Dubia? Yet dubia shut down economy activities and also observe sit@home. Is our weather hotter than Saudi? Yet even mecca was shut down... Religious fanatics in Nigeria choose to remain clueless and blindfolded. Even Vatican shut down.

Hungry didn't start today, it won't end tomorrow. There must be the poor among us. Yes, the system did subject us to the lifestyle suffering and smiling, as well as that of survival of the fittest as if we are in the wildlife..lol..

The government took a perfect measure..hunger/starvation for two weeks won't kill anyone..if so be it that hunger strikes, let them ask neighbours for aid.. This is the time of helping .

I am not in support of people of ignorance who choose not to adhere to this measure of sit at home. We are stiffneck people in this nation.

Let us pray for God to heal our Land and the World at large.. We should make a hay while the shine.. #STAY@HOME #HUNGERDON'TKILL #HUNGERNOBETODAY ..

SOTY

Oga it's people like u that will refuse to give ur neighbor food even if he comes to beg. Let me ask u how many people around u have u helped since this lockdown started.Ur heart is made of stone and certainly do not care about other people dying of hunger simply because u want to keep your head safe from covid 19 virus. Death is Death whether thru virus or hunger .there is no such thing as better death. Since the govts have failed in thier part do not Blame the poor if they choose to take their chances out there while running from hunger cos both kills.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by 12345baba(m): 9:48am On Apr 02, 2020
LivingSage:
Hungerbad my brother, rest on...
Meanwhile, shit is getting real angry
How human being go Tek survive, we're on God
hungerbad done die?
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Omoslim26: 9:50am On Apr 02, 2020
when this shit was getting hot I told my fams oya lets buy foodstuff and travel to the village bcus wit the kind rubbish Govt we have this shit might get really funny

thank God my extended family saw the same and we are together

it's better to be locked down here dan elsewhere

hunger dey everywhere before them come carry this own come now

may God give us the fortitude to bear this
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by KaptainAfrika: 9:51am On Apr 02, 2020
I keep saying people are not taking it serious, because they don't drop dead immediately after contacting the Corona Virus. What is hunger compared to suffocating because fluids have filled your lungs? COVID-19 KILLS FASTER THAN HUNGER.
P.s: I am not saying government shouldn't assist, but this hunger they are crying about, is much more preferable to the pain I have seen COVID-19 Patients going through in Isolation centers.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 02, 2020
What people forgot to mention is that the lockdown effect abroad has started to have effect in Lagos two weeks before Governor Sanwoolu announced lockdown in Lagos. A week to lockdown, most business activities had died down as civil servants and schools are on covid - 19 holiday.

Most self employed and hustlers have spent three weeks now in its fourth week doing nothing to survive while civil servants, paid employees, military pensioners have collected their salaries.

Those on the streets are unemployed people, self employed and hustlers including Area boys and MC Oluomo boys (Agbero) that have nothing to survive.

Beer and pepper soup joints on the streets are still making their cool cash in the evening and queues on the ATMs longer to show that Salary earners are having good holiday.

Another great observation is that people have stopped answering calls or responding to whatsap messages from some friends and family members.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by jidxin(m): 9:54am On Apr 02, 2020
LivingSage:
Yeah
what killed him
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 02, 2020
pawesome:
but is the truth...have you ever heard of anyone die of hunger in Nigeria?

Your comment is very stupid but you don't know.

If you are narrow minded or lack experience, just shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Angelfrost(m): 9:54am On Apr 02, 2020
iammo:

after the two weeks we can take your hypothesis serious, for now we know more than 3 have died even if FG is claiming lesser number

More than which 3??! We only know of 2 returnees (1 actually).

How many known confirmed cases are in critical conditions or hospitalized??! I put you to task to name 1...

Not even a single ventilator is in use across the country (except maybe for Kyari)...

If you are talking about 2 weeks, then you are clearly referring to manifestation of symptoms from those newly infected or likely to be infected this week... What about the hundreds (1 believe thousands) that have been infected since late February and early March??! Do they need 2 more weeks to start manifesting symptoms??!... This doesn't add up to the known pathophysiology of Covid-19 across the universe!!!

I agree that I'm probably stretching hope and luck... But, no pessimist, not even renown virologists can disprove my query on the reality on ground here...

Let's even go with or work with NCDC figures... Let's even assume we currently have only 175 infected... Work this out with me... At least 80 (maybe less) out of that number have been in isolation since early March, how many are showing symptoms??! How many are in dire condition??! How many are hooked to ventilators... Answer this before projecting further negatives.
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by taibat61(m): 9:54am On Apr 02, 2020
SoNature:

While you raised some valid points, you must understand why governments around the world are implementing lockdowns.

The truth of the matter is that Covid-19 is a new virus, and researchers don't know much about it up till now.

It is veryyyyyyyy misleading to assume that the little you know about the disease is all there is to it. Yes, researchers are losing sleep just to understand it better even till today.

For instance, if you read some facts about Covid-19 on WHO website, you will see that there are many questions begging for answers.

In summary, you can only contain something you understand not something you don't. The idea of lockdown is to reduce human interaction to the barest minimum because it's the fastest way of reducing the spread of Covid-19 pandemic.

It's quite a pity that we always bastardize things in this country, including religion and lockdowns.

Off point...

These are d valid points stated above
The lockdown should follow suit with provision of food and testing of people via house to house method

Provide adequate electricity and good medical equipment for hospitals
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Princedapace(m): 9:56am On Apr 02, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:

Hello! If they choose not to die by hunger, then it's opened to them to die by Covid-19 virus.

It's an opened choice to all. But the threat is that the stupidity of an individual will manifest on hundreds. That's just the only pain.

Something must kill a man.

That is not the point... The point is that Nigerian leaders have stolen the entire wealth meant for the citizens. Countries that lock down like this provided means for survival.

Some are paying money to their citizens, people dont have electricity and they will have to use the little fund they have to buy fuel... How will they preserve their meats and other things?

U guys dont get it! Nigeria is heading towards big trouble.. Very soon, these guys will be robbing homes to survive.

Like i said initially, the govt of the day could have sat down and understood the peculiar nature of Nigeria and closed down the airways and land borders on time

At least, Nigerians could have continued to hustle in Nigeria and money could easily exchange hands. Fighting both health and economic crises no be beans. The govt could av chosen to fight only economic crises.

In fact, if we had closed our borders on time, we could av been forced to embrace more of made in Nigerian products to survive.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Rabbitcartel: 9:56am On Apr 02, 2020
Adonko:
Oh so you prefer they die of hunger abi?

U dey mind d mumu.. he no get problem na y he no fit reason others situation
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 02, 2020
proclinician:
I like bad governance for one thing. When the chips are down those who were in support because of the momentary gain suffer as much as those who are not in support. Lagos was one of the states that made sure buhari goes back into power despite bring grossly incompetent now they can't stay at home. For some young guys that found a digital skills before now that still de cash out till tomorrow you already know u found gold. To the rest of the poor, starving miserable bastards that voted buhari in, if u stay alive to see 2023, activate your senses and vote wise.

One of them is still shouting IPOB on the thread.

They hate anything about Igbo tribe even when the Igbo man was still saying that hunger is more dangerous than Corona Virus.

Let them protest, E no concern me. Tribalistic idiots voting illiterate politicians.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Oghenerobo2002(m): 10:01am On Apr 02, 2020
This is the only way the virus will spread. At least 24hours was given before the lockdown, I made same mistake of not fully stocking my house. A lot of people will get infected if the protest continues and by then, the government will be clueless. This is same story as the 5 foolish virgins

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Felicity0001: 10:03am On Apr 02, 2020
Chicagoesontop:
Naija things dey always different, i see people killing themselves just to give the government a bad name, i haven't seen anybody that just died of hunger, if government no send you abeg send yourself .. Y'all know the kind of country we are in, if you like protest from now till next year, government no send you they no send you, if hunger catch you just find a way and feed yourself and stop dragging government inside your hunger because they didn't provide food for you before the lockdown, blame Corona not the government at this time !!
Just listen to yourself. The people should blame corona and not the government. Since when as corona become human to make decision and necessary action to saving life?

This irresponsible givernment brought this plague upon us, the people shouted to them to close all borders and stop all international flight from coming into the country but No they didnt listen simply because they want their family members and relatives to come back first. After they return they shutdown everywhere. Their relatives that returned are the once that brought this disease into the country. The Italian man they think or claim had the virus was tested negative several times.

But thank God for one thing. na them dey catch the disease, and may the virus kill them all.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by taibat61(m): 10:04am On Apr 02, 2020
KaptainAfrika:
I keep saying people are not taking it serious, because they don't drop dead immediately after contacting the Corona Virus. What is hunger compared to suffocating because fluids have filled your lungs? COVID-19 KILLS FASTER THAN HUNGER.
P.s: I am not saying government shouldn't assist, but this hunger they are crying about, is much more preferable to the pain I have seen COVID-19 Patients going through in Isolation centers.

Stop defending d government

The same government shared money and dangote spaghetti via house to house during election period

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Hypocrit: 10:05am On Apr 02, 2020
blowjohn:

Am talking about the middle class crying hunger.
U think it's the rich upper class that donated to Tacha?
It was the silly ass middle and lower class
even if what you said is the true, they did it with their monthly and daily earnings. Now tell me why won't they protest now their daily monthly earnings have been bridged till further notice, and no means to feed let alone engaging in social activities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Shanana1(m): 10:05am On Apr 02, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:
People are just anxious to die.

Even the protest aids transmission of the virus.

In the quest to keep them safe, they still revolting.

The truth is you still have means to survive. Supposed that you don't have a dine with you and no food stuff at home and you were ask to stay at home for 2 weeks with children and wife at home then you'll understand their pains. You have a means of survival, that's why you are talking like this. Fingers are not equal.
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by ofemigeorge(m): 10:06am On Apr 02, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:

Hello! If they choose not to die by hunger, then it's opened to them to die by Covid-19 virus.

It's an opened choice to all. But the threat is that the stupidity of an individual will manifest on hundreds. That's just the only pain.

Something must kill a man.
You maybe well paided at your place of work and have more than enough savings and fix deposite at your disposal. but these people...a developing country....the masses make a living by moving around looking for there daily bread. Yiu dont just stop that.
Becos the fish tank is contaminated and need changing or purifying, you dont bring out the fish to dry land to do the necessary, either way the fish dies. Rather you provide alternatives to carry out your actions.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by 2kaythuks(m): 10:06am On Apr 02, 2020
Adonko:
Oh so you prefer they die of hunger abi?
Is a dilemma
Corona or Hunger
Lagosians dy choose corona
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by proclinician: 10:08am On Apr 02, 2020
pawesome:
malnutrition in Nigeria....gimme an instance of when you heard of that and led to hunger...in Nigeria...I don't want to know bout other countries..in Nigeria

Oh God. Pls u win. I feel sorry
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by jesus247(m): 10:09am On Apr 02, 2020
Hunger virus kills faster than corona virus. Corona can still give u at least 14days but for hunger virus, after just 12hrs u will start seeing d sign that u have bn infected. After 2 days u are gone.....
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by taibat61(m): 10:10am On Apr 02, 2020
Felicity0001:

Just listen to yourself. The people should blame corona and not the government. Since when as corona become human to make decision and necessary action to saving life?

This irresponsible givernment brought this plague upon us, the people shouted to them to close all borders and stop all international flight from coming into the country but No they didnt listen simply because they want their family members and relatives to come back first. After they return they shutdown everywhere. Their relatives that returned are the once that brought this disease into the country. The Italian man they think or claim had the virus was tested negative several times.

But thank God for one thing. na them dey catch the disease, and may the virus kill them all.

I heard Davido came back from US while Chioma came back from U.K

I may be wrong....all these elite brought d virus upon us via migration 2 d country
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Viking007(m): 10:12am On Apr 02, 2020
Naughtysite:

The stupid government doesn't again know how to use BVN.

If it's to track rich people, they will know there is BVN, or to collect tax, or to collect stamp duty.

Many bank accounts have only N2,000 or less inside them.

Why not credit such accounts with N5,000 each.

They prefer to come out and tell us that it costs N10,000 to test one person for Corona Virus. A test they won't still grant a poor man.
Of course they know the right thing to do, but they'll never do it. We live in a capitalist country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. If not why would a whole Access bank donate 1 billion to a ghost government after deducting sms charges from their customers, the same customers who are starving? This applies to all so called "philanthropists". They're just sharing the money within themselves.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Thegoodone13(m): 10:12am On Apr 02, 2020
Hypocrit:
let me give you the honor of quoting you. You knew in your heart that what you posted was foolish but you still choose to post it anyway. Na rate your foolishness on a scale of 1 to 10
Better to stay hungry to be alive than die eating
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Felincous(m): 10:13am On Apr 02, 2020
babaolofin:
What people forgot to mention is that the lockdown effect abroad has started to have effect in Lagos two weeks before Governor Sanwoolu announced lockdown in Lagos. A week to lockdown, most business activities had died down as civil servants and schools are on covid - 19 holiday.

Most self employed and hustlers have spent three weeks now in its fourth week doing nothing to survive while civil servants, paid employees, military pensioners have collected their salaries.

Those on the streets are unemployed people, self employed and hustlers including Area boys and MC Oluomo boys (Agbero) that have nothing to survive.

Beer and pepper soup joints on the streets are still making their cool cash in the evening and queues on the ATMs longer to show that Salary earners are having good holiday.

Another great observation is that people have stopped answering calls or responding to whatsap messages from some friends and family members.

It has been affecting business in Lagos for a month plus. I think those protesting are not informed.

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Thegoodone13(m): 10:15am On Apr 02, 2020
Angelfrost:

We are not at war sir... We being forced to follow the rest of the world to stop the spread of a virus with less lethality here than most resident infections... Fact!!!

Use better analogies please!!!
Better to stay hungry to be alive than die eating.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by pawesome(m): 10:16am On Apr 02, 2020
Naughtysite:

Your comment is very stupid but you don't know.

If you are narrow minded or lack experience, just shut up.
my comments are as stupid as you
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Viking007(m): 10:17am On Apr 02, 2020
jesus247:
Hunger virus kills faster than corona virus. Corona can still give u at least 14days but for hunger virus, after just 12hrs u will start seeing d sign that u have bn infected. After 2 days u are gone.....
Death by hunger is very very painful. cheesy Atleast I know how I felt the first time I attempted a 3 days dry fasting. You can die and still be feeling the pain in the other world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by QuickStandard: 10:17am On Apr 02, 2020
LivingSage:
Yes. Of blessed memory

Sad!!
RIP to him
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by chukzie2002: 10:20am On Apr 02, 2020
[quote author=CoronaVirusRelo post=88008030]People are just anxious to die.

Even the protest aids transmission of the virus.

In the quest to keep them safe, they still revolting.

Because you get plenty food for house. Abeg share give others o
Re: Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 02, 2020
Adonko:
see dying of the virus can be a little bit understandable given the fact that you have little or no control over it especially staying in a third world nation like Nigeria. On the other hand dying of hunger is so bad and the pain won't just go away even after death lol knowing fully well you have hands, you can bustle and put food on the table but here you are tied to a corner and you are hungry, pls am going out the the virus can do whatever it feels like nonsense.
that's my guy, You no send death!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Peter Obi Doing In Anambra State? / Nigerian Troops Prevent Speaker Aminu Tambuwal From Entering The National Assemb / Photos Of Cancer-Stricken Diezani Alison-madueke With Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.