Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? (35103 Views)

Woman’s Horror As Fillet Of Fish ‘jumps Up And Down’ While Cooking In Oven(Pix) / Do You Add Maggi To Your Beans While Cooking? Yes Or No. Give Reason(s) / No More Stress While Cooking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Austine567(m): 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2020
DanteSilva:
Mine was that I mistakenly fried water yam instead of potatoes and on another day I mistakenly fried cocoyam instead of yam
this one is a lie ,how can you peel the back of cocoyam without knowing?

2 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Millenniumlady(f): 8:14pm On Apr 21, 2020
I seriously need to enroll for a catering school cause my cooking is nothing to write about.....i think boarding school contributed alot in this
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by BlissB(f): 8:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
I can relate with this taste of kerosene...
I attended a boarding school, so one period when I was in Jss 2, water was really scarce and I can't remember why, so somehow that day school repaired the plant and pumped water, everywhere scatter, people were just rushing with their buckets and drinking containers to the various taps in school.... My bunk mate who was in Jss3 asked me to collect her drinking plastic in her locker to fill it....
I just went to the locker, opened it and the first plastic I saw was one eva can with liquid inside, I just assume say na the can and I sped out with my own drinking container to join any queue but before getting to the tap, I say make I drink the one when day the Eva Can as I was so thirsty cry cry cry , after one full gulp before I realized what I was drinking sad , and I shouted "I don drink kerosene o" ... Fortunately for me, where I was, was not far from the school kitchen, and one of the mama's overheard me, that was how she called me and gave me palm oil. First time in my life I gulped oil of that quantity but ThankGod nothing happened to me and I'm here today to tell my story grin grin....
DabuIIIT:
Thunda Faya the enemy.
This one ain't about food but water.
I was filling up my PET bottles with water to put in the fridge. I filled up the last one decided to drink that same last bottle o,of all the ones that I have filled up not knowing it was actually the bottle I used in buying kerosene!!!!! Infact, thunda faya the enemy 10 times!!! angry angry angry

Buh sha, kerosene bad for mouth o lolsssssss!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Mypeople2(m): 8:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
beewhy009:
Mine?

Almost 20 years ago, I wanted to prepare pounded yam... I put salt in the yam while cooking and the result was flabbergasting. � All cuz I wanted to show em at home I can now cook anything! grin

Share yours and let's enjoy em! grin
Adding salt to maize before boiling it .My people I boil the maize for 4hours the maize still strong like rock .When my kerosene finished ,I started eating them so that my kerosene will not waste. The thing almost pull off my teeth .When my babe heard about it , she fell on the ground and started laughing

3 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by BlissB(f): 8:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
kachistone:
My neighbour used cockroach to cook beans for the family. He was not aware as the cockroach died inside the bottle of palm oil that he used for the beans.

And he cooked the food in the dark o. It was while they were eating the food that one of his brothers asked where the crayfish he is eating came from. Mind you, they didn't use crayfish o. (the brother had already eaten part of the cockroach in the food).

The rest is history.
Jesus shocked shocked
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by femi4: 8:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
Well, let me call it an experiment. The day I wanted to eat pounded yam at all cost. No normal yam at home except water yam.

The end product was looking miserable with many colours

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Austine567(m): 8:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
kebliss:
I remember using cement instead of potash.
take am easy na

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Neoteny7: 8:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
I made a chicken, potato, and vegetable casserole, once done i did a taste test and decided it needed more salt. I grabbed the salt jar, scooped a full tablespoon and dumped
it in there.....turned out it was actually dishwasher detergent in the jar.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Ginaz(f): 8:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
mansakhalifa:

I would have eaten that thing with all that salt in it without flinching one bit.

That's my specialty.

It’s not good to be eating salty food like that o. Better stop it. shocked
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Medunah: 8:26pm On Apr 21, 2020
1derfulGod:
when I was in jss 2 boarding school, I washed beans and rice together to cook
Lol this reminds me of a mistake I made in school too.......wanted to cook rice and beans, immediately after putting beans on fire, I washed the rice and added it.
Funny thing was, that wasn't my first time cooking it, I don't know how I forgot to wait for the beans to soften a little bit.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Angelacruz: 8:28pm On Apr 21, 2020
Hahhaa...very funny
anykey:
Mine was cameroun pepper. I cooked indomie and added three 'ten naira' own. I did not know what made me experiment with three, but i think what pushed me was how beautiful a cameroun peppered indomie looked like. But this one was truly a definition of not all that glitters is gold.
I swallowed the first, second and third spoon successfully. It was when the fourth hit my throat that i discovered tears was slithering down my cheeks. I started feeling hot all of a sudden, i pulled off my shirt, seems it got worse. Then i commot boxers, no improvement. I now said let me go outside to receive fresh air if it will be better, no way. I con dey ask myself, is this how people go mad?
Well i took a very cold bath and i got really better. So, at the end of the day i went back to finish the food. It looked so beautiful.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger right?
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Kay25(m): 8:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
mine was my days in university while cooking get at the corridor there was no light there I kept both omo and salt together when I need to out salt in the stew I mistakenly picked omo and pour it in the stew..While it was done and I tasted it then I found out it was omo can't cry that nite cos no money to even make another one had to pour it away such a bad nite that year
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Fairboy(m): 8:38pm On Apr 21, 2020
Washing the jollof rice after putting all the ingredients so as to remove the chaff
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by fowlyansh181(m): 8:41pm On Apr 21, 2020
Tried to cook the normal enugu food Okpa, after cooking mine , the red oil was sitting in one side of the leather while the white liquid Okpa was sitting in the other side

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
Putting alum in ewedu. I thought it was potash. (Kaun).

4 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 8:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
OlawaleBammie:
Like around 20yrs back, me and my igede friends together with my immediate junior sister went to osun river in our town to fetch all those tiny river snails(not the flat one oo, the round one... we normally called it kòrògbíngbín)

We brought the little we could fetch home and we tried to make fire on the normal fire spot called ADIRO in yoruba.

We succeeded in making the fire but finding the pot to use in frying it became a mirage as all pots were filled with one content or the other.

We had successfully stole the palm oyel and salt(dos are d only ingredients needed grin ) but we couldn't locate a single pot to carry out our assignment.

then we resorted into using a plastic, we poured an oyel and put the plastic on the fire....gbam!!! in a second we couldn't find the plastic, we didn't even know if it was stolen from the fire or it got burnt grin but we saw it wen it caught fire grin

After some minutes of rumination, Orshom(my igede nigga) went to his mama room to turn away the content in one of his mama's pot., we washed it as we could and put on fire.

we have bn hearing that palm oyel needed to b made hot before tins should b added, den we tried to do our own.

as we saw that smoke is already coming from the pot(now we had added oyel) den we put all the korogbingbins inside... vooooom ..everything catch fire inside the pot grin

Oku babanla eni to maa lo so potu kale cheesy

After everything got burnt patapata, the fire quenched..CHAIIII OUR POT DON TURN TO BITUMEN..

We tried to was it but na lie, e no gree wash.

If u do dis, u know the next tin African parent would do to u naw grincheesy

My nyash no go forget that day even if i do.
Lwkmd grin grin grin

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Fidelismaria: 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2020

Have never made mistake while/when cooking

Started cooking at age of 12

So na DON I be for kitchen

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by sirchrislatestn(m): 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2020
ignis:
Back then during my NYSC at Calabar, I was cooking Eguisi soup and my neighbor dashed me plenty pumpkin leaf (ugu). I decided to use all the vegetable in order not to waste any because I don't have refrigerator to preserve the vegetable. The Eguisi soup automatically turned to vegetable soup.
mine was i mistakely put grounded ogbono inside beans that i was cooking that day thinking it was grounded crayfish still yet i eat it out of hunger that night
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by kasim155: 8:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
Francejaik:

No, she removed her phone from her handbag and started answering an imaginary call.

She excused herself; telling me that she forgot something important at home.

Lol. Girls with their funny ways.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by CsRockefeller(m): 8:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
Sleeping and letting the food burn to ashes.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Sixfeetbelle: 8:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
grin grin grin

I'm just laughing while going through this thread. It's funny how horrible we were at cooking at one point in our lives and yet food is one of the three essentials.

My specialty with food is 'watery effects.' If water no plenty, I never start to dey cook. I do try to be conscious of it most times, but I've realised it's a flaw I'd probably never get over. So, last Christmas, I was told to boil yam and I filled the pot with water. Coupled with the fact that I was a bit ill that day, I forgot the pot on fire and went to lie down. Came back an hour later to meet yam pap inside the pot. Luckily, half of the yam was salvaged. My mom complain tire that night. grin

Surprisingly, over salting is something that can never happen to me as I hate over salted food with a passion, which makes me limit how much I add while cooking.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Mlayidi: 8:56pm On Apr 21, 2020
I put detergent in cook yam instead of salt
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by SamShw(m): 8:58pm On Apr 21, 2020
Just in this lockdown have been trying various tutorial given by some friends online to cook some simple meals. Sometimes last three weeks I got some group of female friends to teach me how to cook a well spiced beans, I practiced and had a pass mark the first time, about two weeks after I decided to try it again, I successfully cooked rubbish.

I added three cubes of Maggi and some salt to two cups of beans, it was when am done cooking I knew I bleeped up, the outcome was devastating. I just threw everything away and cooked indomie jejely grin grin cooking is not my calling
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by EricSmallz(m): 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2020
ignis:
Back then during my NYSC at Calabar, I was cooking Eguisi soup and my neighbor dashed me plenty pumpkin leaf (ugu). I decided to use all the vegetable in order not to waste any because I don't have refrigerator to preserve the vegetable. The Eguisi soup automatically turned to vegetable soup.
I swear. It happened to me. The only difference is that I bought my pumpkin and the woman added the remaining one to it.
Better vegetable soup
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by softpee: 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2020
I HV 2 stories to tell, d 1st one was while I was in skool den, I n my fwnd chibike came Bak frm a place can't remember where we went to, so we were thinking of wot to eat so we said let's boil white rice since there is small stew, so wen it was time to add salt well it was in d nite n there was no lite so he went to his room to look 4 salt, nah so my guy go bring detergent add he didn't knw, so he tasted d rice to see if it was soft my guy chibike took a mouthful of rice wit detergent, he was nw kalling me to come n taste d rice if it was kk by I suspected something it was later he said he mistakenly added detergent to d rice dat his stomach is dng as if it is washing dat day I laughed so hard, d second experience was d one I had dis yr I bought egusi half derica den bought ogbono also 1 milk cup nah so I added d whole ogbono to d soup, d soup was as thick as anything. I had to pour d soup away Moni wasted
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by friday2011(m): 9:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
When my wife was scheduled for a cs for our 3rd child...

I came back home with some few ingredients for chicken stew, hoping that it was time to show my kids my cooking skills, unfortunately I forgot to put maggi but every other thing was on point.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Amarisa(f): 9:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
anykey:
Mine was cameroun pepper. I cooked indomie and added three 'ten naira' own. I did not know what made me experiment with three, but i think what pushed me was how beautiful a cameroun peppered indomie looked like. But this one was truly a definition of not all that glitters is gold.
I swallowed the first, second and third spoon successfully. It was when the fourth hit my throat that i discovered tears was slithering down my cheeks. I started feeling hot all of a sudden, i pulled off my shirt, seems it got worse. Then i commot boxers, no improvement. I now said let me go outside to receive fresh air if it will be better, no way. I con dey ask myself, is this how people go mad?
Well i took a very cold bath and i got really better. So, at the end of the day i went back to finish the food. It looked so beautiful.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger right?

Rotfl...hahaha..grin
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by kebliss(m): 9:09pm On Apr 21, 2020
Austine567:
take am easy na
Take what easy?
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by chegbe1104: 9:10pm On Apr 21, 2020
The first time I prepared eba, I didn't know that if the water is not enough, you can still add more water to make the eba soft. That's how I just turn the eba like that ooo. Omo, myself and my nephew who was at home with me could not eat the eba because it was just too hard like olumo rock. I had to throw the whole thing away before my uncle and his wife could come back from work.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Angelacruz: 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
I neva made a mistake while cooking.Am always careful when am in d kitchen
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nickymichy(m): 9:16pm On Apr 21, 2020
Fry six eggs with four Maggie
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:18pm On Apr 21, 2020
Blaze212:
no be small thing ooo naso I want cook beans for house, after the beans don soft na e I discover say palm oil no dey house...even groundnut oil don finish, so I go mumsy room carry her mountain of fire anointing oil pour inside beans, my people the beans sweet die, when mumsy come back she balanced and eat white beans, later that day evening na e she discovered say her OIL dey miss she ask me, I tell her the truth, for good two weeks mumsy no follow me talk for house
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Are The Alternative Foods To Replace Rice This Coming Festive Period? / Between Garri And Semovita / See My Delicious Tomato Stew With Grilled Chicken. (Photos & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.