Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

USA Visit Visa Part 4 - Travel (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visit Visa Part 4 (934774 Views)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (437) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Popdes(m): 12:40pm On May 24, 2023
Please how long did it take yours to show approved/issued?
I dropped off my passport May 22nd.
May 24th it showing application received.

overlord77:

Isolo/Ajao estate
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by EbenMayor(m): 4:23pm On May 24, 2023
Hi Guys,
Please do we have the usual delay getting F (student visa) visa appointment as we have with visit visa?
I got admitted into GWU & I am required to make a non refundable deposit of $3k by June 6.
Any chance of getting interviewed before June 6?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by millyscent: 4:44pm On May 24, 2023
Those that submitted their passport for drop box, did you get email or text as regards to progress or you checked your profiles online ?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by millyscent: 4:57pm On May 24, 2023
Popdes:
Good day house,
Please those of you that got your passport back recently from DHL office Lagos how long did it take to get your passport back after your dropped it off?
Which of the DHL office is faster?
My IW drop off appointment is on Monday May 22nd, and I need my passport back before May 30th for an emergency travel

Did u get email or text as regards to it..after dropping it off
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by omobaronke: 5:37pm On May 24, 2023
Dansakimotors:
Create your profile using the URL below and Schedule an appointment for interview/Drop box.

https://portal.ustraveldocs.com/?language=English&country=Nigeria

Thank you for your response.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Popdes(m): 7:43pm On May 24, 2023
No I didn't receive any email/text after drop off but I tracked it and it shows that my passport is with the embassy

millyscent:

Did u get email or text as regards to it..after dropping it off
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 24, 2023
Good evening everyone
Please is there a Schengen Visa thread like this? I want to get details for France and Netherlands
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 24, 2023
AbigailUkaegbu:
Good evening everyone
Please is there a Schengen Visa thread like this? I want to get details for France and Netherlands

https://www.nairaland.com/1106291/securing-visa-france-applying-nigeria/331
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by aaidel(m): 11:52pm On May 24, 2023
Llaye:
I’d advise against it. All the folks I know who tried to renew while holding a valid visa were rejected. Your circumstances may be different, but maybe just wait until it expires before getting a renewal

my last visa in 2020 i renewed in january when the visa was expiring in sept was given two years but visa expiry was in Jan 2022 as against sept if i had waited
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by millyscent: 12:56am On May 25, 2023
aaidel:

my last visa in 2020 i renewed in january when the visa was expiring in sept was given two years but visa expiry was in Jan 2022 as against sept if i had waited

Thanks …this is encouraging. I am a student abroad and had the opportunity to come to Naija …I can’t come twice cos of flight fare that’s why I am killing two birds with a stone.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Nobody: 5:50am On May 25, 2023
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by MosakuAW(m): 8:12am On May 25, 2023
Hello All

I made visa payment in July 2021 for myself, wife and kid. I try looking for date since then, I couldn't.

Is this Visa fee still valid in 2023? It will be 2years in July 2023 since I made payment. Thanks in anticipation for replies.

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Quincypp: 8:39am On May 25, 2023
Good morning,

please can one renew a visa for a child alone, without both parents applying with her through Drop box?
If yes, what are the steps to take? Thanks🙏🏽

N.B.
Both parents do not qualify for Dropbox but the child does.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by LawyerBB: 12:55pm On May 25, 2023
*please house can someone living abroad be your sponsor? And will they be asking for statement at the Embassy?*
I was invited for a conference but I have some relatives who are willing to sponsor it.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by millyscent: 2:42pm On May 25, 2023
LawyerBB:
*please house can someone living abroad be your sponsor? And will they be asking for statement at the Embassy?*
I was invited for a conference but I have some relatives who are willing to sponsor it.

They don’t ask for statements…they will ask who is sponsoring your trip tho. Choose your answer carefully cos it will lead to the next question.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by MosakuAW(m): 3:53pm On May 25, 2023
MosakuAW:

Hello All

I made visa payment in July 2021 for myself, wife and kid. I try looking for date since then, I couldn't.

Is this Visa fee still valid in 2023? It will be 2years in July 2023 since I made payment. Thanks in anticipation for replies.

Please, is this visa fee still valid?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by JohnZak: 4:43pm On May 25, 2023
If you are in Nigeria, you will have to apply for a student visa (F1 visa) at the embassy/consulate. If in the US, you will file a form 1-593, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant status, with USCIS and submit supporting documents. You will a receive a Notice of Action from USCIS stating whether your application has been approved or denied.
This where it may get tricky. If your NOA is approved, your school may still request that you leave the US to apply for an FI visa from an American embassy/consulate and return to the US in F1 status. My school required all international students to be admitted into the US in F1 status except they were seeking asylum. They needed this F1 visa information in order to update each students SEVIS record. For some other schools, the approval NOA will suffice, and you do not need to leave and return to the US in F1 status. You can ask your school if admission in F1 status is mandatory.
If you have to leave and apply for an F1 visa after receiving the NOA approval, there is still a risk you may be denied an F1 visa because the visa officer may perceive that the student visa was your ultimate goal all along and you used the visitor visa to circumvent the system.
USCIS may also deny your I593 application and cancel your visitor visa. If they do not cancel your visitor visa, your decision to change visa status while in the US may adversely affect future US visa applications. In conclusion, yes, you can change your visa status but weigh the pros and cons. Good luck!

Dansakimotors:
Hello House,

Advice needed. How can i change my Visa status from Visiting Visa to Student Visa? Admission already secured and 5yrs Visiting Visa already granted. I look forward to your response, especially from someone that have tread this path b4.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by tunjilana: 4:48pm On May 25, 2023
Eriokanmi:
You're kinda worried about your situation. You need to be calm. Refusal under 221g via IW or other means isn't a denial. It simply means they need some clarification on your proposed visit and to do this, you'd have a date with a consular officer in a face-to-face interview. 90% of the time, 221g situation results in approval of a visa. A lot of factors could be responsible for this. If you overstayed during your previous trips, you'd need to explain why. If you gave birth with your B1/B2 visa, you'd need to show up for an interview and explain why. You may be asked to show proofs you paid in full and you didn't enjoy any support to offset your bills, e.g, health insurance or other means. If your purpose of visit isn't cleanly defined in your DS160 too, you'd need to provide details.

Guy, your passport will be sent back to you, wait for it. Under 221g, one cap doesn't fit all so, every applicant is treated on a case by case basis. A letter will accompany your passport which contains different refusal reasons. The VO who adjudicated on your case would tick the reason you were refused and what you need to do next...some, only DS160 and appointment printout page with passport will be requested to be brought during the interview. To others, medical bills , letters and other documents will be requested. Some parents couid be asked for finger printing of their child as well.

A refusal under 221g( administrative processing) doesn't mean you weren't qualified for IW. If you weren't qualified, you wouldn't have received an approval mail to submit your documents to a DHL office with a date in the first place. When you chose IW on the cgi portal, you received a notification that your application would be reviewed and if approved, you'd receive a mail to schedule a date for doc submission, which you did, right? A robot didn't send that approval mail, neither was it an auto response so, that's a proof you qualified for the IW.

My cousin just called. He attended his follow-up appointment yesterday. In the 221g letter which accompanied his passport, he was instructed to only print his DS160 confirmation page, bring the 221g letter, his passport and his follow-up appointment letter for his appointment. The VO didn't ask much questions after the exchange of greetings. He only asked for his passport and...how long are you staying? His visa was approved. He said to me one thing, which I'd like to draw the attention of those with 221g to. He said he checked ceac website weeks after his refusal in March and realised its been updated twice despite being refused. This seems to me that 221g isn't a total denial as many may have thought. They need to check some other things about the applicant which could mean going as far as their home office to fetch some information about you and as they're doing that, they're updating your status. He was refused in March but His status was updated 5th April and 26th April respectively and he saw the first follow-up appointment dates as released the following day, being 27th meaning, ( in my opinion though), they were done with the administrative processing and he should now pick a date for his follow-up interview. He missed that slot as all the dates had disappeared by the time he checked later. He saw the date again this week and booked 4th May He said he kept checking the ceac and cgi randomly in case the status would change to something else, despite being refused, only to discover a change in the date twice

My candid advice...especially fist time applicants, always use your visa for the purpose it was meant, to avoid administrative processing or any form of delay when it's time for your visa renewal. Drop box is a great opportunity which would take a lot of stress and anxiety off your neck so always take advantage of this by playing by embassy's visa rules, now that they're issuing 5 years...that's a lot. Only Canadian embassy had done that once and it was 4 years, Germany did that to me once as well, on a renewed passport. They said I don't have to always come to them, based on my application history. The drop box I had enjoyed for nearly 20 years now, hitch-free. I don't need to see most embassy's faces....just by simply playing by their rules.

Good luck to all in my cousin's shoes.

Just tot to share my good news here

After seeing "Refused", I was patiently waiting to get back my passport and start the 221g journey

Surprisingly today, I checked the portal and discovered it has changed to "Approved" since 2 days ago....Checked again this evening and it is now "Issued".... No followup interview, No 221g slip....everything just happened normally.

I really thank God for this...

Wondering how I will answer the "Have you bn refused a US visa before" during future applications

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by JohnZak: 4:56pm On May 25, 2023
If you are in the US, you do not need to renew an expired F1 visa, provided that you have a valid I20. You will only have to renew if you travel outside the US. You should not give your documents to a family member to submit for you in Nigeria while you are in the US. You will get into a lot of trouble because the visa will show that it was issued in Nigeria but you won't have an arrival/departure record from the US for the period that the visa was issued in Nigeria. There is no need to jeopardize your status in the US. If you want to renew your visa, you can easily renew it in Canada or Mexico. Many foreign students do it all the time. I have personally done it three times when I was a student. It is pretty straightforward and hassle-free provided you have all your documents.

BlessedABee:

Hemingway:
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the US. I finished my Masters and got a Ph.D. I am now qualified for the interview waiver to renew my expiring visa. My question is, can I give my documents to a family member or friend to drop them off since I don't have to appear for an interview? Coming to Nigeria to drop off my documents is not ideal because I have to attend classes, and it takes two months to get feedback. Can I authorize someone to drop it off and pick it up on my behalf? Any helpful advice will be appreciated 🙌🏾

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Eriokanmi: 5:21pm On May 25, 2023
tunjilana:

Just tot to share my good news here

After seeing "Refused", I was patiently waiting to get back my passport and start the 221g journey

Surprisingly today, I checked the portal and discovered it has changed to "Approved" since 2 days ago....Checked again this evening and it is now "Issued".... No followup interview, No 221g slip....everything just happened normally.

I really thank God for this...

Wondering how I will answer the "Have you bn refused a US visa before" during future applications
Your worry is over! Congrats

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Popdes(m): 12:17pm On May 26, 2023
Good afternoon Everyone,
Does anyone on here know how long it takes for your status to change from approved to issued? And how many days it takes to pick it up after issued

May 22nd - Dropped off my passport
May 24th - Application received
May 26th - Approved

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Handey: 3:48pm On May 26, 2023
I planned going on visit to the US Dec 13,2023.
When I tried scheduling my appointment,I was pushed to Jan 2025 for appointments.
Pls what do I need to do because it seems the appointment date is not aligning with my travel plans.
How do I change the appointment date from 2025 to 2023?
Urgent response pls
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by flourishing247: 12:25am On May 27, 2023
Handey:
I planned going on visit to the US Dec 13,2023.
When I tried scheduling my appointment,I was pushed to Jan 2025 for appointments.
Pls what do I need to do because it seems the appointment date is not aligning with my travel plans.
How do I change the appointment date from 2025 to 2023?
Urgent response pls

That's the current date. A lot of people are on the wait list. Select it ASAP before it moves to march 2025. You can reschedule if you find a nearer date.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by LawyerBB: 8:29am On May 27, 2023
Please anyone who gets an earlier date before the third week of June 2023 should help notify me please I beg you all
0812 784 0340
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Obeleagu93(m): 9:14am On May 27, 2023
[quote author=MosakuAW post=123352055]
Hello All

Mine is even 3 years plus as I first paid in February 2020 just before coronavirus epidemic and nah ending of the year I just got an interview
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by seyewest(m): 9:14pm On May 27, 2023
ABUJA TO LAGOS ON VALUEJET

I flew on Valuejet Airline from Abuja to Lagos on their Bombardier CRJ-900 Aircraft, Valuejet is a new airline that commences flight operation on 10th October, 2022 with flights to Abuja, Port Harcourt, Asaba and Jos. The Airline was founded in 2018 by Kunle Soname, the Chairman of the sports betting website Bet9ja and owner of Portuguese football club C.D. Feirense
Overall, it was an excellent flight and I'm looking forward to flying with them again.
I Hope you enjoyed the video! Please don't forget to subscribe, share, like and leave a comment below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlXZYCeqcc

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by aaidel(m): 11:38pm On May 27, 2023
millyscent:

Thanks …this is encouraging. I am a student abroad and had the opportunity to come to Naija …I can’t come twice cos of flight fare that’s why I am killing two birds with a stone.

very similar situations i was working abroad at the time ad had come home for vacation checked and saw date in about 10 days and decided to apply immediately after the interview the lady cancelled the visa i had and 3 days later i got the new one
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Dansakimotors: 5:16am On May 28, 2023
Thank you very much for your very detailed response. I think i wld just stick with my Visiting Visa jejely. The risk is too high. A bird at hand is worth a Million in the bush they say.

JohnZak:

If you are in Nigeria, you will have to apply for a student visa (F1 visa) at the embassy/consulate. If in the US, you will file a form 1-593, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant status, with USCIS and submit supporting documents. You will a receive a Notice of Action from USCIS stating whether your application has been approved or denied.
This where it may get tricky. If your NOA is approved, your school may still request that you leave the US to apply for an FI visa from an American embassy/consulate and return to the US in F1 status. My school required all international students to be admitted into the US in F1 status except they were seeking asylum. They needed this F1 visa information in order to update each students SEVIS record. For some other schools, the approval NOA will suffice, and you do not need to leave and return to the US in F1 status. You can ask your school if admission in F1 status is mandatory.
If you have to leave and apply for an F1 visa after receiving the NOA approval, there is still a risk you may be denied an F1 visa because the visa officer may perceive that the student visa was your ultimate goal all along and you used the visitor visa to circumvent the system.
USCIS may also deny your I593 application and cancel your visitor visa. If they do not cancel your visitor visa, your decision to change visa status while in the US may adversely affect future US visa applications. In conclusion, yes, you can change your visa status but weigh the pros and cons. Good luck!

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Tkulthenoble: 5:48am On May 28, 2023
Hi my people, please I have a question and a bit worried about asnwering VO regarding relatives in the state as my inetrview is next month. I dont have any immediate relative in the US so when I was filling my DS-120 in january I put a friend I met virtually. she invited me to her wedding last year but coudnt make it to the wedding due to lack of interview slot and all that here in dubai. So my bottom line I cant remember what exactly I filled in the relative in the US maybe yes or no. If VOs ask me if I have any relative in the US what do you think I should answer as I cant remember what I filled but I remeber that I put this my friend I met virtually all her details and her husband's details as someone I know in the state. Thank you

justwise:
Welcome to part 4 of this thread. Old things must pass away, and new things take effect!n (Although the info in Parts 1, 2 and 3 remain priceless and Must/Ought to be read by any serious applicant.Part 2 was wonderful. Lots of lovely people offering great advice. Each in their own unique style. You guys rock!!! You know yourselves.

For enquiries relating to likely interview questions and self evaluation, kindly go through both parts 1 and 2 of this thread so you have a fair knowledge of answers to such questions.

Kindly note that this is a do it yourself thread. Nobody here is an agent. Nobody is a VO, hence cannot authoritatively predict your chances of visa success .

Happy reading and good luck to all the honest visa seekers!

Please see part 1 here for reference:
https://www.nairaland.com/608780/usa-visit-visa/322#38856287

See part 2 here for reference https://www.nairaland.com/2656320/usa-visit-visa-part-2

For part 3

https://www.nairaland.com/4116999/usa-visit-visa-part-3/507#77029195

Due to the fact that some questions are frequently asked, repeated and retreated, the links to the questions are contained herein for easy reference
For instructions and documents required for the application
http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//non-immigrant_visas.html

To book appointment and fill DS 160
http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//niv_appointmnent_instructions.html

Note:The steps for the whole process is set out step by step. For your own good, adhere. If not, a possibility exists that the final ds 160 number will be different from the one used to book the appointment . Applicants in those situations will neither be allowed to enter the embassy nor will they be interviewed.
In the event of such an occurence, kindly call/email the embassy to sort it out .

Peraventure you wish to change a detail in an already submitted ds 160, fill a new one, submit and call/email the embassy

For US embassy contact Nos and email
http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile/contact.html

For video interviews with actual VOs on frequently asked Questions
https://www.nairaland.com/2656320/usa-visit-visa-part-2/180#47174473

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/s/%23AsktheVOs

For documents : http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//non-immigrant_visas.html

For sample transcripts of some interviews (as posted by the users of this thread) Please check this link https://www.nairaland.com/download/4692218

Finally, Lying on your ds 160 or during the interview is misrepresentation and a crime. This thread's aim is not to teach / coach applicants on how to lie. The truth is ALWAYS the best course of action no matter the situation. Please DO NOT ask about how to misrepresent on this thread.

I'm grateful to God that I am alive to create this new part. And for the several friends I have made hereon.

Thank you.
Humbly
LadyGuinivere
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Dansakimotors: 9:00am On May 28, 2023
Sorry bro !!

Thats why i always advise keeping the archive of your application before submitting. I aways do . (i have the 2012, 2018 and even the 2023 application stored in my mail box). The 1st time i was issued Visa was in 2013 after 4 attempt. I wld remember while i was with the VO she did make inquiry on some of my answers in my previous application. Meaning, they all have your responses stored in their archives. Thats why i aways advice people to be as truthful as possible (as truth can never be wrong) and if you have to lie, stick with the lie cos all your responses are stored for future references.

Since you cant remember, just be prayerful that the VO attending to you is not that detailed. Wish you all the best bro.

Tkulthenoble:
Hi my people, please I have a question and a bit worried about asnwering VO regarding relatives in the state as my inetrview is next month. I dont have any immediate relative in the US so when I was filling my DS-120 in january I put a friend I met virtually. she invited me to her wedding last year but coudnt make it to the wedding due to lack of interview slot and all that here in dubai. So my bottom line I cant remember what exactly I filled in the relative in the US maybe yes or no. If VOs ask me if I have any relative in the US what do you think I should answer as I cant remember what I filled but I remeber that I put this my friend I met virtually all her details and her husband's details as someone I know in the state. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by M6ix: 10:43am On May 28, 2023
I would say no since there are no immediate relatives. Plus saying yes may lead to further questions that you may not have answers to.

Tkulthenoble:

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Tkulthenoble: 11:45am On May 28, 2023
Thats my prayer also for them not to ask any questions regarding relatives. Thank you
Dansakimotors:
Sorry bro !!

Thats why i always advise keeping the archive of your application before submitting. I aways do . (i have the 2012, 2018 and even the 2023 application stored in my mail box). The 1st time i was issued Visa was in 2013 after 4 attempt. I wld remember while i was with the VO she did make inquiry on some of my answers in my previous application. Meaning, they all have your responses stored in their archives. Thats why i aways advice people to be as truthful as possible (as truth can never be wrong) and if you have to lie, stick with the lie cos all your responses are stored for future references.

Since you cant remember, just be prayerful that the VO attending to you is not that detailed. Wish you all the best bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (437) (Reply)

Studying In Finland (free Tuition) / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.