Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,702 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78264 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Hangulsaram: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
You should have kept that to your mind and observe if he’s the stingy type or maybe he does n’t have it that time. But how can a responsible Man went to visit a prospective mother in -law empty handed? Some guys no get shame oo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Munzy14(m): 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
Acidosis:

The right thing to do was to reject her food/drink. The young man is greedy and a glutton!

Omo, how can you visit your mother in law for the first time without a gift, and sit down to eat her food and drink?

Let's be honest pls, the young man is greedy and shameless.
grin I don't think he is greedy...

The same guy fit go back there next week with a fully loaded goodies in his car trunk.

Na babe web calm down the enjoy her man.

I expected the babe to calm her mom down ,and iron issues codedly with her man...and not feeling entitled with flaring up...That guy might av gone there as a bait or fact finding mission, and I guess he got what he was looking for.

This relationship thing will always get tricky at a stage....Na wisdom u need to follow things jeje.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by adajoe555: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
Are you sure you really wanna do this?
Cos I'm ready when you are.
Feed me and my family( a whole my family ooo) for ages yet your mama dey want kill herself say your fiance no buy bread for am?. cheesy
Why not use that money weh you want use am feed me and my generation buy your mama provisions keep for house na grin grin
And somehow its from this miserly,miserable existence that you wanna feed my family(really rich ) from? undecided
My eldest sister got married in 2004,in 2003 when the man came for introduction,he wore shorts and was empty handed.
You know why?There was nothing he could bring that we don't have and he knew it cheesy
What you could have done sef to even cover your bf is send some money to your thirsty mom and claim your bf sent it,but instead you fought with him over it,maybe because you and your mama don plan as una go share the stipends weh the guy suppose bring,
Yet a bottom feeder like you wants to feed my generation? grin

Hey, your bad mouth is something else ...lol

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by extol1(m): 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:
I don't understand why everyone is being angry over this issue to be honest. Is it that we are so poor that courtesy is now a taboo?

I was raised to always go with gifts whenever I'm visiting a family friend so even if I don't have anything on me, bread is never scarce on me. Since this is not the guy's first visit (which I expect he would have maybe shown up with wine that first time), bread would have been more than good. A bottle of groundnut even looks nice.

Let me ask: When we were growing up, did we not have uncles and aunts that always visited with gifts? Did our mothers not package gifts always whenever we went to visit a family member? So why is this one being judged differently?

I do think the lady handled the matter badly, but let's not accept 'bad behavior' as the norm because we're trying to be woke.
because he didn't go with gift is now a bad behavior. no wonder I see reason why some men maltreat their wives after wedding

6 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Maravilla: 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2021
Funny thing is all those insulting the OP, won't even visit their would-be in-law empty handed, and stop copying everything from the white man, it doesn't make you smart, in Nigeria Culture, you don't visit in-laws empty handed, hope this helps.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by KingAlayinde(m): 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
I Need Your Opinion On This Issue That's Threatening My Relationship

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?
Trayceey:

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?
Trayceey:

a good mama won't even feels like collecting anything from him in first meeting to claims herself respect........ wonder why Nigerians has turn relationship to benefits

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by At10tion: 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

Your Fiance is not an honorable person, he's not a man of Honour and doesn't honor you or your family. A person with honor will always leave good impression in the heart of people he met. Even with #500 he will have made himself worthy in the eyes of your mom.. It's not about the gift, it's just courtesy. A singer once sang a song, he said "we were looking for money but then we found honor, and so we went back home! Why..? Because if we find the money it is honor we'll use it to buy"
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by OdenKelechi(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

We are Africans. Let us be honest with ourselves.

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
What was the purpose of the visit?
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.

So now we've gotten to the point of using "we are africans" as an excuse for nonsense. Yes, it would've been great he went with something for the mum, but does he owe her anything? This is still the entitlement mentality worrying our so called african women and the mother has clearly passed it on to her daughter.. it's disgusting to see. Let's stop using "we are africans" to validate nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nairalandhero: 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
Onyemaya:
Poverty is often concealed in splendor, and often in extravagance. It is the task of many people to conceal their neediness from others. Consequently they support themselves by temporary means, and everyday is lost in contriving for tomorrow.

Nature makes us poor only when we want necessaries, but custom gives the name of poverty to the want of superfluities.

Extreme poverty anywhere is a threat to human security everywhere.
hmmmmmm nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by West2019(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
you must be broke.
so many nairaland boys are broke and this is why they're so pained on this issue. You won't blame them though. This country is messed up
animal that's ur second name .come let me loan you 10m ,you and your mother, sister are hungry family

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by freeman5050: 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
Miarose:
you and your mother are too hungry. Respect and courtesy >> gift.

Young man, there is something the call courtesy. I'm not saying is compulsory but at least he should have gotten her something since this is his first time of meeting her mum. More so, knowing fully well his girl was not around, that alone will make him it's utmost necessary to get something for the mum since he pmanned and made up his mind of seeing her, no matter how small.
Such movement as a mature man requires you to tender something to the family when you get there. Its part of the fun in the relationship.
Take note bro in case you are not married yet.
It's a matured advice from a married man.
** I come in peace..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by West2019(m): 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
you must be broke.
so many nairaland boys are broke and this is why they're so pained on this issue. You won't blame them though. This country is messed up
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Lashist(m): 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
BusinessCity:

You'll be a parent someday or someone beneath you would accord you without honour, then you'll understand. Your promptness to abuse me without any direct attacks against you speaks about your age, formative processes and character. I wish you well.
Shut up is never an abuse...its the internet so i should not detect your age from your moniker before i say shutup. Almost everyone has been accorded without honor at some point..i have had my own share and it didn't make me feel so sad..i hope you just know that bringing gifts to your bf/gf home is never a must..i wish you well too

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BusinessCity: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Fiscus105:

Means business? Can he do the business successful? That's question you should ask urself

A wise mother had seeeeeeeeeen that, if a guy that has not entered their house completely, can be so insensitive like this,.......how much is Eva? Soap, etc. The fiance action is enough to know he not matured enough to be calling responsible man,.... A man ready to carry responsibilities of wife and kids, just like you and others are complaining.

If he bought something and mother complained it was too small, that would have been a different story.

Brilliant
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.

God bless you.

Even the reasonable whites won't go empty handed. Talkless an African.

The guy did badly and it is unreasonable guys like him that are insulting the lady.

He was irresponsible.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Bodydiialect57: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Chujor1634:
Your mentality and that of your mum is so annoying, to think that you had to even call him him instead of talking sense to your mum is the height of it all.

She should have simply played the devil's advocate on behalf of the guy to her mum and later find a sensible way of passing the message across to her fiance. Her approach was wrong.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Guy bone her immediately. What nonsense. Is it not your mother that is to play host. Greedy souls. Guy bone the two of them straight. I pity this girl. Your mother will be a perpetual home wrecker.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BusinessCity: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lashist:

Shut up is never an abuse...its the internet so i should not detect your age from your moniker before i say shutup. Almost everyone has been accorded without honor at some point..i have had my own share and it didn't make me feel so sad..i hope you just know that bringing gifts to your bf/gf home is never a must..i wish you well too

Enjoy. wink
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by descarado: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2021
@op, call and apologise to your man. Go and reprimand your mum else she will continue with this mentality.

A good mother in law to be will look for something to give him to take home with. That's how she will endear herself to this man and in turn make the man love and cherish you more.
Ladies use your sixth sense!

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by OdenKelechi(m): 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2021
GayPontiff:

This post and iberibe.

Now I see why Africans are tot to live on trees like monkeys.
The young man truly deserves better.
His good behavior and other characteristics a mother would want for her daughter should be overlooked and replaced with his inability to bring stuff she will shit out next morning abi?
They ain't married yet o?
I was even expecting to see her say she sided her bf on d matter but now it has turned to serious beef.
Aunty will loose a good man and you are blaming being Africa for this irrational behaviour?
She should go and apologize to him, the boy owes her mom nothing! Not at least till marriage is sure.
He is manly to have even visited the woman.
Wherever he is may good fortunes locate him.

Chop knuckle my nigga... I was fucking disgusted at that "we are africans" bullshit for validating the nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by comtem2011: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

Sorry to say this, are you a Yoruba by tribe cos na we dey count all these things.

People have issue o, all these in law of a thing self, na wa o. Wife's mother will complain,
Husband's mother will complain.
O ga o.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Chimaokigwe: 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

You are a curse to your mother. Look at how you've brought shame and disgrace to her in her old age. Is it everything you must say outside or your stupidity knows no bounds. Stupid hungry pauper.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Lenient001: 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
I count that as one of the reasons those rich people do never want to marry or date a poor people because they believes they'll impose on them all their living responsibilities.
Your mother should have never judged him or had a hopeless compliment on him. Maybe, he's broke during that time and don't wanna dissapoint you that's why he did that. Perhaps, 'not giving today doesn't mean will never give tomorrow'.
Always think before you act.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by sparko1(m): 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

It’s very wrong of him to visit for the first time empty handed! (Even subsequent visit), Not even a bottle of wine, biscuits for the children.

Come on, if he visits his mom does he go empty handed.

You know if you can manage such attitude.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Oyiboman69: 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

"A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men"

Giving gifts will make way for you in the presence of Kings and great men.

not in this case
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Augustine1990(m): 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
poverty in your family

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Liposure: 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Not everybody is versed in culture. Cut your bf some slack
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
Kriss216:

Not yet in-laws... They are just boyfriend and girlfriend.

She said it's her fiance.

Would a boyfriend go see his girlfriend's mother without her being at home? Okwere omume?
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Augustine1990(m): 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
poor family
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by HeadShot: 8:06pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

Shut up jare....

African mentality indeed

If he visits often like that... Then i might agree reason along

But it was just a one time visit that you dont know whether it was planned... Haba..

The mum acted like a gold digger... Its quite a shame.. I urge that guy to run for his life

They will turn him to an atm
And he wont achieve anything in life

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Gideon110(m): 8:06pm On Jan 08, 2021
ceeceeuwa:

Don't bother arguing with them. Most of them are still teenagers with opera mini free mb.
At least your mom played her part by hosting your boyfriend. Also, it's possible the guy is not well schooled on how to treat would be inlaws, you owe it to him to educate him in a subtle manner. Your approach to the matter must have put him off.
You are even worst than the op self.. Spit on you...

4 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by luminouz(m): 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

"A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men"

Giving gifts will make way for you in the presence of Kings and great men.

The scriptures you quoted wasn't talking about literal gifts for fuq sakes na...it's your talent it refees to. Your skill set. undecided

The way u dey try defend the topic funny me aswear

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (45) (Reply)

Twin Sisters Dedicate Children From One Husband In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Husband Who Fought With Man That Slept With His Wife Beaten To Stupor / Lady Cheats On Her Husband After Opening A Boutique For Her, Husband Beats Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.