Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,676 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53571 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 12:51am On Nov 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:

From the works of Charles Ogan (1980s), Finapiri (2001), Alagoa & Fombo (1960s) and Nzewuwa (1980s), among others, it is well-established that the Amanyanabo system is a modern monarchy system that first came about in the 17th century among most Eastern Ijaw communities.

Nzewuwa (1983) showed that the House System and a feudal/factional kingship system already existed in the Elem Kalabari area. Kalabari oral traditions and documentary evidence from European traders suggests that these institutions came to be in active practice by the 17th century. Additionaly, Amakiri I (the first of the modern Kalabari monarchs), is recollected as becoming the first "overall Amanyanabo", creating the modern Kalabari dynasty and galvanizing the Kalabari kingdom. This tradition of Amakiri I becoming the first "overall Amanyanabo" suggests the presence of other feudal kings (at least some, not all) going by "Amanyanabo" (Alagoa, 1970s, 2005).

Unlike the series of events/oral traditions of Kalabari, the picture was rather different for Okrika. Charles Ogan (1980s) did a decent job in marking down a chronology for the adoption of both the House System and the Amanyanabo System within Okrika (which Charles Ogan refers to as Amanyanaboship). Charles shows that the Amanyanabo institution did not exist in Okrika prior to its adopted in the seventeeth century. The first Amanyanabo of Okrika (Ado I) was installed as part of the ongoing effort to free Okrika from Bonny's political and economic authority.

Finapiri (2001) researched and collected Bonny oral traditions which credit Perekule as having brought drastic changes to the kingship system in Bonny in the 18th century, in which Perekule was officially proclaimed as the "Amanyanabo", starting the new Amanyanabo dynasty in Bonny. For Bonny, both the House System and the Amanyanabo system were imported between the late 17th to early 18th centuries (Alagoa 1971, Oriji 2011).

lol balderdash. u keep exposing yourself as the day goes by. i keep noting your high adrenaline rush anytime the ijaw revisionist are being crushed by the Igbos on here.

U have false claim of being Igbo (ngwa clan) but i have gone through your posts u're so Igbophobic and at the same time ijaw-centric. u get easily riled up anytime the ijaws are subdued in intellectual discourse such as this.

you always hide your deception about being rational but in the through sense you are not.

Igboid
Bkayy
mancoconut.
slayforever
thegodfather
eastlink
ekeaterego.
thicksharon.

And to the rest of my Igbo peeps here plz take note of this moniker he is not Igbo u can go through his post and topics. he is notorious for countering anytin Igbo on this forum and at the same pace claiming Igbo.

His agenda has always been on the balkanization of Igbo land into sub tribes and he hates anytin that has to do with Igbo unity in general and has stood against it since the inception of nairaland.

i must really recommend Pazienza the igboid himself and the rest of the Igbo warriors in here for turning the bit*ch into a shadow he is.. fucking ijaw sewge rat..

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 12:58am On Nov 29, 2021
bomb24:

lol balderdash. u keep exposing yourself as the day goes by. i keep noting your high adrenaline rush anytime the ijaw revisionist are being crushed by the Igbos on here.

U have false claim of being Igbo (ngwa clan) but i have gone through your posts u're so Igbophobic and at the same time ijaw-centric. u get easily riled up anytime the ijaws are subdued in intellectual discourse such as this.

you always hide your deception about being rational but in the through sense you are not.

Igboid
Bkayy
mancoconut.
slayforever
thegodfather
eastlink
ekeaterego.
thicksharon.

And to the rest of my Igbo peeps here plz take note of this moniker he is not Igbo u can go through his post and topics. he is notorious for countering anytin Igbo on this forum and at the same pace claiming Igbo.

His agenda has always been on the balkanization of Igbo land into sub tribes and he hates anytin that has to do with Igbo unity in general and has stood against it since the inception of nairaland.

i must really recommend Pazienza the igboid himself and the rest of the Igbo warriors in here for turning the bit*ch into a shadow he is.. fucking ijaw sewge rat..

I have known this Moniker since I joined this forum.
And mind you, I joined this forum officially around 2007.
Between 2011 to 2012 I had serious clashes with "her", the person behind that Moniker is a woman.
I noted she was not Igbo very long time ago.
I have a very high Igbophobic radar, it easily picks up a non Igbo vibe no matter how subtle or how clever the person wants to disguise.

She has been on this matter long ago.
In the past she tried to create identity crisis issue online for Ngwa people here and it took the effort of real Ngwa people here to silence her.
She is an old timer here and have been playing this game for a long time.
But I always had her in my radar.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 12:59am On Nov 29, 2021
Putindbutt:

Bonny is a mix tribe. The culture and titles are ijohs. Slave trade brought ibos from the interior to Bonny. Mbanaso was installed as a king by his ijoh master. Olukumi have been igbonized even though they aren't ibos. The large concentration of ibos in a given area gives them undue advantage over the less people minorities.
The fact remains that the abolishment of slave trade in 1801 gave ibos the leeway as a freed slaves in Bonny, prior to 1801, ibos were the largest supplier of slaves. It was for purpose of slavery that brought ibos to Bonny.

u people keep repeating this dog shit over and over again but historical facts and documentatios from a neutral ground keep proving you guys wrong, this has made your people prey to the Igbos who now counter u guys with fact and records far back as 1699.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:09am On Nov 29, 2021
Some of these intellectual property needs to be trademarked.

The tribe name Wakrike/Kirike is simply Nwa creek or creek. An Igbo product.

Originally forwarded by Sir Ekealterego on this day 29th of November, 2021 and shall remain in his name, devoid of forgery or distortion or theft.

Stamped and Sealed.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:14am On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

It makes sense.
Wakirike and Wa-creek.
Good observation.
Considering how Pepple turned to Perekule and Eighty Bucks turned to Etibo, Wa-creek being the original word for Wakirike is not far fetched at all.
Lol.
I think the earliest record of Pepple by Barbot in 1699 was Pepprell. This is on record.

Here is an Excerpt:

...We had again a long talk with the king and Pepprell, his brother, concerning the rates of our goods and his customs. This Pepprell was a sharp black and a mighty talking black, perpetually making objections against something or other".

I believe Pepprell is a British/Irish/Germanic name.

There are still records of Pepple and Pepprell family recorded in the US.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by paramakina202: 1:19am On Nov 29, 2021
bomb24:

Igboid
Bkayy
mancoconut.
slayforever
thegodfather
eastlink
ekeaterego.
thicksharon.

That guy is typical Ngwa man they are very clannish.
Read posts from the likes ponpokon another Ngwa nationalist they are all the same.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 1:19am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

What brought Ijohs there... Same accounts showed that Ijohs were brought as slaves there, including the Cross-River people like the "Otams".
The reason why Igbos were numerous was because they were the majority in terms of population from that area. They outnumbered every other group numerically by almost 10 to 1.

Again, the Aros, and Abams (who are Igbos) were prolific slave merchants.

However, most of the books that talked about the first settlers traced it to Igbos.
Ijoh are more relevant as they are the owners of Bonny. Ijohs are not slaves, rather, they are slaves merchants who served as middle men to European agents. The Aros are not exclusively ibos but a mix of both ibo and ibibio origin. The Aros are well known for slave raiding who raided and sold ibos to the ijohs who in turn delivered them in exchange to the Europeans agents. The Aros established a Confederacy over the interior ibo dwellers. They also sold a large number of ibos who were regarded as sacrifices or dedicated to the gods as punishment for their transgressions, markets and settlements were raided to keep a consistent supply of slaves. The Aros had treaties/slave trading agreements with the ijoh coastal dwellers as well as the calabar merchants who operated at Calabar port, which served as another port for ibo slaves. Bonny & Elem Kalabari are both ijaw towns that served as slave ports through which the Aros supplied a large number of ibo slaves.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 1:20am On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

I have known this Moniker since I joined this forum.
And mind you, I joined this forum officially around 2007.
Between 2011 to 2012 I had serious clashes with "her", the person behind that Moniker is a woman.
I noted she was not Igbo very long time ago.
I have a very high Igbophobic radar, it easily picks up a non Igbo vibe no matter how subtle or how clever the person wants to disguise.

She has been on this matter long ago.
In the past she tried to create identity crisis issue online for Ngwa people here and it took the effort of real Ngwa people here to silence her.
She is an old timer here and have been playing this game for a long time.
But I always had her in my radar.

thanks nwanne for your work here, i had to do a quick search on that monicker regarding to Igbos and ijaw related topics and i noticed her subtle bigotry towards the Igbos and her pro ijaw vibes she keeps pumping out anytime discussions like this are drown out..

She has been on this for a very long time and tnx to clannishness of some of our peeps back then here who were so fixated on baseless superiority topics on who was Igbo and who was not thereby giving room for intruders to invade our space, history, unity and create unnecessary identity crisis and hate towards our kin.

Nna u are the real sergio ramos of the Ndigbo on this forum your tackling prowess retired the godless self decieving pig into her rat infested hole.Ya gazie!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Shokoloko(f): 1:24am On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:
Apologies for my typos. As a student of history, I am open to fact based criticisms and not hearsay. From my calculations, this is about Two hundred and twenty-one years old(221 years) history!!! I look forward to getting contradictions from the same period or beyond.

Considering that most people cannot trace their origin beyond their great grandfather or great great grandfather at most, then you would appreciate how reliable this piece of history is.

Considering how familiar sailors are with maps, here is a map of the delta according to the publishers.
You are a very smart individual.

Oh I see, you are Igboid's e-friend. Birds of the same feather.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 1:26am On Nov 29, 2021
paramakina202:

That guy is typical Ngwa man they are very clannish.
Read posts from the likes ponpokon another Ngwa nationalist they are all the same.

no she is not Ngwa u can do a quick search on that monicker on Igbo and Ijaw related topics. we have so many of them here who have deep cultural knowledge of Ndigbo, and they bank on that to constantly attack Igbo unity on this forum with different monickers.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:28am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

For the Bretches, this is why archaeology and Museums are important.
See this mask. I believe it's Igbo-Ukwu or around those areas. See this Igbo art dated by scientists to the 9th century (1100 years ago). This is the same facial marks for those set of Igbo men.

You are correct.

That's a pendant worn by ancient Eze Nris around their necks. The ICHI marks are so obvious.

The actual cutting is carried out by Umudioka people, as Nri people were not meant to touch blood, so they can remain sacred. But the sanctification of the initiate must be carried out by an NRI priest.

Th Umudioka people ( of the MGBURU-ICHI fame)were collectively a major pillar of the NRI civilization, along with the Awka blacksmiths.

Back in those days, when an NRI priestly party was traveling to any part of Igboland for any priestly duties, there will be Umudioka facial cutters and Awka blacksmiths in the party.
The Umudiokans carried out the actual facial cuttings for the ICHI, while the Awka blacksmiths produced the NGWU AGILIGA for the Nze and Ozo title takers, all of whom were ordained by the NRI priests

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:31am On Nov 29, 2021
SlayerForever:

Wakrike/Kirike is simply Nwa creek or creek. An Igbo product.

Originally forwarded by Sir Ekealterego on this day 29th of November, 2021 and shall remain in his name, devoid of forgery or distortion or theft.

Just to put my evidence more forward.

Kirike or krike (how wakirike/okirika people, call their language or themselves) is the same as in the older English word for Creek or the French word.

You know what, Exactly how it is called in Dutch. The Dutch call Creeks, Kreke but sounds like "Kirike".

I have uploaded the names.
So, Wa "kirike", means "Child of the creeks"
Note, most of these coastal places had European names from Lagos to Warri to Calabar.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 1:37am On Nov 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:
If you're patient enough to wait for me to paste screenshots, then you're patient enough to search up the digitized works by the author, dates and publication names I provided. It's not that hard. Feel free to demand as much as you want, but I won't go out of my way to provide more than what I believe I need to.

lmaosss u have totally lost out take your defeat and leave..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 1:40am On Nov 29, 2021
SlayerForever:

Wakrike/Kirike is simply Nwa creek or creek. An Igbo product.

You go fear ibos... You think you can distort unique identities of your neighbors just because you shared proximity and acculturation

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:47am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Just to put my evidence more forward.

Kirike or krike (how wakirike/okirika people, call their language or themselves) is the same as in the older English word for Creek or the French word.

You know what, Exactly how it is called in Dutch. The Dutch call Creeks, Kreke but sounds like "Kirike".

I have uploaded the names.
So, Wa "kirike", means "Child of the creeks"
Note, most of these coastal places had European names from Lagos to Warri to Calabar.

You are very much on point. We applaud you.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:48am On Nov 29, 2021
Putindbutt:

Ijoh are more relevant as they are the owners of Bonny. Ijohs are not slaves, rather, they are slaves merchants who served as middle men to European agents. The Aros are not exclusively ibos but a mix of both ibo and ibibio origin. The Aros are well known for slave raiding who raided and sold ibos to the ijohs who in turn delivered them in exchange to the Europeans agents. The Aros established a Confederacy over the interior ibo dwellers. They also sold a large number of ibos who were regarded as sacrifices or dedicated to the gods as punishment for their transgressions, markets and settlements were raided to keep a consistent supply of slaves. The Aros had treaties/slave trading agreements with the ijoh coastal dwellers as well as the calabar merchants who operated at Calabar port, which served as another port for ibo slaves. Bonny & Elem Kalabari are both ijaw towns that served as slave ports through which the Aros supplied a large number of ibo slaves.

Brother, I have uploaded at least 10 docs from 1699 to 1840s showing the origin and trade relations in Bonny. Not one accounted Bonny as having Ijo origin but rather Igbo, all of them!!

No, Ijohs did not hold sway in Bonny nor Old Calabar, rather Ijohs were SLAVES as well.. The Ijohs were subservient to the Aros. I have uploaded countless books too with nature of the interactions between Ijoh and Aros too.

The areas around New Calabar and Krike were first multi-ethnic.

Also, if you read well, you will see the three different accounts from 1823 and 1840 and 1841 showing the King Amachree and King People were both Igbos.. They said this by themselves.

I know it is hard to unlearn years of belief in the Ijawcentric Algoa's account but we have known what the true history stated long ago. It is all there in neutral history books from Neutral accounts.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 1:49am On Nov 29, 2021
Putindbutt:

You go fear ibos... You think you can distort unique identities of your neighbors just because you shared proximity and acculturation

What are you rambling about, why not give proof of Ijaw aboriginal pre civil war, or pre colonial period. I bet if you do so, they'll keep shut.

I don't know why you are fighting with your keyboard. It makes you look like you've got mental dissociation.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by EmmaJnr1: 1:50am On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Professor Ebi
Alagoa one of the greatest and well known Nigeria wide,
Ijaw writer, is from Nembe and they use Amayanabo.

Diete Spiff Brass use Amayanabo.
He was
First Governor of Rivers State.
Diete spiff that sent all Igbos out of PH after the Biafra war and declared their properties abandoned properties, carry all their houses dash Ijaw and Ikwerre people.
Go and tell him he is Ibo.

He is the present Amayanabo of Twon Brass clan.
Bayelsa State.
na small boy you be. U don't know anything. I see my response to you as a waste of time but I just have to do it. Igbos own rivers state most especially porthacourt. After the war, some minority tribes started taking over igbos lands and property in rivers state which made many igbos to claim they were not igbos just to still live in their ancestral land and have access to their properties. It was within this time that Ikwere was created by Obi nwanali just so they can get job and retain their properties as ikwerre people instead of being seen as igbos. Read about this from this link https://www.nairaland.com/6695300/meet-man-established-ikwerre-rivers

I know u are a fulani sponsored miscreant that moves around to post nonsense just to spit on the Igbos. Una plan na moi moi. Igbos knows where their land starts and end and no one will be left behind when we enter biafra. Even minority ijaw can join through a referendum. Urobo have more population than Ijaw but they are not making noise like this. 90% of Rivers state is Igbo land and are igbos

Referendum will decide. No one would be forced to join biafra. Ijaw, Itshekiri, Urobo can join Biafra which is opened to all. Take note that Biafra is not an Igbo thing. Cross river and akwaibom are biafrans too. You this fulani government paid detractors will soon get tired and run

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:52am On Nov 29, 2021
Worworboy, Allen02 your tribe name has been deciphered by the highly intellectual Igbos. You should be glad and appreciative.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:55am On Nov 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:

No, this would be incorrect. It's actually well established that the Amanyanabo system in Bonny comes from Kalabari. Okrika and Bonny adopted the Amanyanabo system by the 17th century. It is an Ijaw expression, not Igbo.

While I am not really an expert in Kalabari traditional institutions, you didn't really provide any proof that Bonny adopted the Amanyanabo title from Kalabaris and Okrika.

Also if I am not mistaking, I believe both Kalabari and Okrika have ancient Igbo links. In fact, it's clearly documented that the Kalabari ruling family was of Igbo ancestry.

Maybe these Igbo-influenced areas had two kings initially, which Bonny also adopted, hence the AMANYANABO title. But they all now have one king.

I was reliably informed that the Ijaw word for king is PERE.

More research needs to be carried out, especially to determine the veracity of the ancient Igbo links with Kalabari and Okrika

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 2:00am On Nov 29, 2021
EmmaJnr1:
na small boy you be. U don't know anything. I see my response to you as a waste of time but I just have to do it. Igbos own rivers state most especially porthacourt. After the war, some minority tribes started taking over igbos lands and property in rivers state which made many igbos to claim they were not igbos just to still live in their ancestral land and have access to their properties. It was within this time that Ikwere was created by Obi nwanali just so they can get job and retain their properties as ikwerre people instead of being seen as igbos. Read about this from this link https://www.nairaland.com/6695300/meet-man-established-ikwerre-rivers

I know u are a fulani sponsored miscreant that moves around to post nonsense just to spit on the Igbos. Una plan na moi moi. Igbos knows where their land starts and end and no one will be left behind when we enter biafra. Even minority ijaw can join through a referendum. Urobo have more population than Ijaw but they are not making noise like this. 90% of Rivers state is Igbo land and are igbos

Referendum will decide. No one would be forced to join biafra. Ijaw, Itshekiri, Urobo can join Biafra which is opened to all. Take note that Biafra is not an Igbo thing. Cross river and akwaibom are biafrans too. You this fulani government paid detractors will soon get tired and run

This is not a Biafra post.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 2:02am On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Professor Ebi
Alagoa one of the greatest and well known Nigeria wide,
Ijaw writer, is from Nembe and they use Amayanabo.

Diete Spiff Brass use Amayanabo.
He was
First Governor of Rivers State.
Diete spiff that sent all Igbos out of PH after the Biafra war and declared their properties abandoned properties, carry all their houses dash Ijaw and Ikwerre people.
Go and tell him he is Ibo.

He is the present Amayanabo of Twon Brass clan.
Bayelsa State.

Some Igbo speaking Brass youths chased him away from his palace a few months ago, and raped his ugly daughters while looting his stolen wealth.

He may have returned, but he could be attacked by his Igbo speaking subjects in the near future.

If some of his people are Igbo-speaking, I'm not surprised he uses Amanyanabo.

Brass and Nembe are not core Ijaw territories, so the title of their traditional rulers cannot be a definitive proof

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 2:16am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Brother, I have uploaded at least 10 docs from 1699 to 1840s showing the origin and trade relations in Bonny. Not one accounted Bonny as having Ijo origin but rather Igbo, all of them!!

No, Ijohs did not hold sway in Bonny nor Old Calabar, rather Ijohs were SLAVES as well.. The Ijohs were subservient to the Aros. I have uploaded countless books too with nature of the interactions between Ijoh and Aros too.

Also, if you read well, you will see the three different accounts from 1823 and 1840 and 1841 showing the King Amachree and King People were both Igbos.. They said this by themselves.

I know it is hard to unlearn years of belief in the Ijawcentric Algoa's account but we have known what the true history stated long ago. It is all there in neutral history books from Neutral accounts.
-Ijohs were slaves too
- Ijohs were subservient to Aros
-.Bonny is ibo origin.
Those afforementioned were the lies you spread around yourselves, very unfortunately.
Being a king of ibo descent in a town with visible ijoh imprints is never a proof of ownership. Ijohs are the kingmakers and have never being in denial of the ancestry of an ijawnized ibo to whom they bestowed their titles. Any other charade to downplay the ijoh- Bonny ownership is just a mere wankfest at ego tripping. I have taken my time to read over all the screenshots/ documents posted and I haven't yet seen a stronger conviction that has proven the contrary. I only see some keyboard-happy revisionists trying as much as possible to amplify alternative truths.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 2:18am On Nov 29, 2021
ThickSharon123:

What are you rambling about, why not give proof of Ijaw aboriginal pre civil war, or pre colonial period. I bet if you do so, they'll keep shut.

I don't know why you are fighting with your keyboard. It makes you look like you've got mental dissociation.
Swerve!
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 2:19am On Nov 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:

No, this would be incorrect. It's actually well established that the Amanyanabo system in Bonny comes from Kalabari. Okrika and Bonny adopted the Amanyanabo system by the 17th century. It is an Ijaw expression, not Igbo.
If truly you're ibo, your type is rare.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GodIsBiafran: 2:19am On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

[s]So why are they in all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations without leaving even one behind, but they are not even in one Ibo own.[/s]
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 2:21am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

I'll like you to help me out with something, I just watched a video of Okrirka people, perhaps they have history with the Igbos, I don't think they are Igbos. The language isn't the same thing and even the culture. So, it wouldn't be applicable to add them. What do you think?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 2:29am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

These are very recent publications.

Where are the historical references?

What does the phrase mean?

Who established this link ethnographically first?

All our reference here came from 1800s or before 1906.
Algoa's reference from 1970 just at the end of the war is laughable for obvious reasons that we know.
Yeah, you have other references from 2011... Do you have older references? before 1910 at least.

Immediately I saw Alagoa and 1980, I knew it was gonna be ajambene

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 2:33am On Nov 29, 2021
ThickSharon123:

I'll like you to help me out with something, I just watched a video of Okrirka people, perhaps they have history with the Igbos, I don't think they are Igbos. The language isn't the same thing and even the culture. So, it wouldn't be applicable to add them. What do you think?
Okirika is not ethnically Igbo today. Many of their quarters are of Igbo ancestors, you can obviously tell that their ancestors and some quarters still maintain some of those traditions.
Even Talbot, mentioned that their Elders stated that they came from Afam in Ndoki.
However, those areas around New Calabar, "Kalabari and Okirika" were like towns with quarters from different places. Many were originally Ibibiod, some Ijoh and some Igbos.. It was at an intersection between these 3 main groups and of course with some groups with almost functionally extinct languages today.

I will give you example, Ateke Tom gave Wike chieftaincy title today, and you can see the traditional chief attire the ardoned him with.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 2:35am On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Okirika is not ethnically Igbo today. Many of their quarters are not but you can obviously tell that their ancestors and some quarters still maintain some of those traditions.
Even Talbot, mentioned that their Elders stated that they came from Afam in Ndoki.
However, those areas around New Calabar, "Kalabari and Okirika" were like towns with quarters from different places. Many were originally Ibibiod, some Ijoh and some Igbos.. It was at an intersection between these 3 main groups and of course with some groups with almost functionally extinct languages today.

I will give you example, Ateke Tom gave Wike chieftaincy title today, and you can see the traditional chief attire the ardoned him with.

Okay, thank you. Then let's stop adding them to the Igbo nation. I believe we have to focus on our brothers and sisters in Bonny/Opobo and the likes. Okrirka is out of it for me.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 2:39am On Nov 29, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Okay, thank you. Then let's stop adding them to the Igbo nation. I believe we have to focus to our brothers and sisters in Bonny/Opobo and the likes. Okrirka is out of it for me.

Yes, me personally do not even add them at all..
Sometimes, some just flex these muscles to show that we actually know or could dig up the history when these people who make it a sports to look for our territories and plant Igbophobic propaganda all around.
Go to Facebook groups and see the kind of hate the Ijaws plant within the minorities and the onslaught of landgrabbing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 2:40am On Nov 29, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Immediately I saw Alagoa and 1980, I knew it was gonna be ajambene
He thinks he is clever.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (90) (Reply)

Akpabio Wins Senate President Election / Guns Of President Buhari's Guards Of Honor Checked Anytime He Arrives (Photos) / Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.