Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53582 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Donjossy1010(f): 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2021
EmmaJnr1:
na small boy you be. U don't know anything. I see my response to you as a waste of time but I just have to do it. Igbos own rivers state most especially porthacourt. After the war, some minority tribes started taking over igbos lands and property in rivers state which made many igbos to claim they were not igbos just to still live in their ancestral land and have access to their properties. It was within this time that Ikwere was created by Obi nwanali just so they can get job and retain their properties as ikwerre people instead of being seen as igbos. Read about this from this link https://www.nairaland.com/6695300/meet-man-established-ikwerre-rivers

I know u are a fulani sponsored miscreant that moves around to post nonsense just to spit on the Igbos. Una plan na moi moi. Igbos knows where their land starts and end and no one will be left behind when we enter biafra. Even minority ijaw can join through a referendum. Urobo have more population than Ijaw but they are not making noise like this. 90% of Rivers state is Igbo land and are igbos

Referendum will decide. No one would be forced to join biafra. Ijaw, Itshekiri, Urobo can join Biafra which is opened to all. Take note that Biafra is not an Igbo thing. Cross river and akwaibom are biafrans too. You this fulani government paid detractors will soon get tired and run

This is not about Biafra!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 3:00pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Rev. John Clarke did a lot of work mapping the languages and people to the maps in that area. H collected multiple samples of the dialects in 1848.
This is Ottam described and the samples from different districts within Otam. From the samples of the Language, Otam is definitely Ibos that are close to anywhere around cross rivers or Akwa-ibom.

Wow, this is so incredible!!!
So, all the recorded accounts by neutral White people from different nations throughout history asserted that Opobo and Bonny are Igbo territories yet ijaws are today fighting to landgrab those places??!

Well, thank God for these irrefutable facts, at least they would serve as exhibits at the right time. We will forcefully maintain the dignity and heritage of the Opobo and Bonny indigenes as bonafide Igbos, and there is nothing the "teeth filing cannibals" will do about it. If they go to court, they're bound to lose woefully and if they want to fight, it will even be worse for them.

If not for these distractions, Opobo and Bonny would have been made a seaport serving the region and they would have become full blown cities by now if not for the wickedness of ijaws. Anyways, the people of Opobo and Bonny need to know where their best interest lies and be more assertive.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:
A lot of debates or arguments have been going on mainly between(igbos and ijaws) about the identity of Bonny and Opobo people. So much that lots of indigenes are confused about their own identity. The reason for this is not far fetched. The igbo language is an indigenous language in both places and while most inhabitants bear English names, some bear ijaw names and few still retain their igbo names. However, I will try to be as neutral as possible while I implore you to be a little objective as we embark on this historical fact check.
Most of the arguments in my opinion have been nothing more than mere conjectures. For instance, ijaw people claim the igbo language spoken in both places is foreign or creolized version while trying to force inhabitants to start learning an entirely new language different from what they learnt at home.
We have seen both igbos and ijaws trying to make their own interpretations of what they think must have happened and as such both of them twist words to have meanings in their their own language.
For example:
Ndoki-ndoki/aminadokiari
Ibani-ubani/ibani/igbani
Amanyanabo-Ama onye nabo/
It might interest you to know that the title Amanyanabo use by ijaws originated from Bonny. The igbo interpretation means, “The town/community of 2 kings/persons”.
Bonny traditionally had 2 kings as documented by Captain Hugh and he was friends with both men who held him in high esteem.
King Pepple and King Holiday were both kings that reigned in Bonny at the same time.

To understand the reality of who Bonny and Opobo people are I would be rellying on the Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829) and I implore any true son of Bonny or Opobo to consult this book or any other one written before it to really find out their identity. If you do not have much time, you can read from chapter 10, however reading the whole book gives a huge insight into slavery. It is important to note that while the author confirmed Eboes/igbos as natives of Bonny, there was no mention or acknowledgement of ijaws. But I am using my discretion to assume that the ijaws were the Brass people as the author asserts that they came from the Brass country which is located North West of Bonny.

Impotant dates:
Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829)
King Jaja of Opobo 1821-1891
Technically King Jaja was born 12 years after slave trade was abolished.
Slave trade was abolished in 1809 by Sir Wilberforce.
Apart from being a popular slave merchant, Captain Crow(a.k.a Play man) was very popular with Kings and Natives of Bonny. He was so popular that he was invited to crown one of the Kings of Bonny at a time and he was regularly invited to help resolve palaver in the kingdom. He was captain of the last ship that left Bonny with slaves after slavery was abolished.

The authors memoir is insightful for many reasons:
It rendered a vivid account of what trans Atlantic slave trade looks like. In his assertions, slaves taken off the West African coast to America were better off than their countrymen left behind in Africa. During the period in review, whites were also slaves and most Britons including the author became prisoners of the French.

The author asserts that:
Bonny people are chiefly a mix of Eboe/Igbo and Brass/ijaw people.
He described/mentioned the igbo country in the hinterland and the brass country lying north-west of Bonny.
However, most of the details of daily living amongst the natives was more in tune with igbo lifestyle.
He talked about igbo native doctors he referred to as dibia and the enormous influence they wield in justice and health administration, even the kings respect them. He also described details of igbo marriage customs and funneral as observed in Bonny.
He talked about the use of elephant during the commemoration of King Pepple's father 10 years after the father's death. He mention the value of elephant tusk.
Contrary to conjectures that the name Pepple was European's attempt at pronouncing Perekule, the author asserts that Bonny people derived joy in bearing english names as he himself was responsible for crowning a King who he named after an English prince. An incident that excited the populace. He confirms that both King Pepple and King Holiday were igbos.
He described in detail the physique, including complexion and character of different tribes eboes, brass, appas, quaws, ottams etc

The author described one Chief Fubara who was an acquaintance of King Pepple. He asserts that Chief Fubara was not an indigene of Bonny but a stranger who migrated from his country during a crisis with a false claim that he was a warrior in his native country.

The author proved that ijaws were not selling igbo slaves as claimed in some quarters. According to him, everyone/every tribe was sold as slave. He described instances where some igbo chiefs set people up with their beautiful young wives and victims eventually pay a fine or become slaves. He explained the reason why more igbo slaves were sold. They were more relatable to Europeans than most other tribes.

Captain Hugh is credited with one of the earliest attempt to create an Eboe/igbo dictionary.
The author asserts that Opobo is an Igbo name for male children.
He also said that natives are often marked according to their origin and that Bonny natives often have short cupped perpendicular markings on both sides of their temple(this is consistent with the igbo tribal mark).

He confirmed the existence of Cannibalism, that Andoni was considered a dangerous place to venture, the fact that Calabar people eat dog meat, the influence of Benin empire, that some Brass people were usually employed to make salt during dry season under the Benin empire amongst other things.

I was planning to post pages from his write up to buttress some points, unfortunately i cannot do so on this forum as it seems to permit posting only few images at a time. But i will post some.

CONCLUSION

Bonny and Opobo people are a mix of Eboe/Igbo and Brass/Ijaw people in origin. This document however asserts a more igbo origin or dorminance as most of his history of the ancient kingdom was about igbos(The word Brass appeared 14 times in the history of Bonny, while the word Eboe appeared 48 times). This perhaps explains the existence of the igbo language spoken there and the presence of igbo masqurades like nwaotam. Shalom

P.S: I am being challenged to prove that Brass people are Ijaw people, so I must state once more that this was an assumption on my part and it remains to be proven or disputed.

I just made an update:

The word Brass appeared 14 times in the history of Bonny, while the word Eboe appeared 48 times.

10 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 3:16pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:

I just made an update:

The word Brass appeared 14 times in the history of Bonny, while the word Eboe appeared 48 times.

Oya leave Nairaland, and
go and remove them from all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations they belong till today, and force them into Ibo own.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Donjossy1010(f): 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Ijaws are larger than Ibo in population.
The only ijaw man I know is pere Akpoti.
GEJ, isn't really ijaw but Otuke man.
I can bet you that a lot's of Nigerian have never met an ijaw person before in their whole life.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 3:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

That's never ever Opobo name.
Why are they not under Ibo socia-cultural organizations
But are in all Ijaw own.

You're obviously neither intelligent nor smart. If belonging to IYC is the argument you will bring forward when the Igbos will be bringing classified information by neutral whites dating back to the 1700's with all them emphasising that Opobo and Bonny are Igbo territories, then the joke is on you!

You've already lost the debacle and from the looks of things, you have nothing to prove that ijaws have any stake in both Opobo and Bonny except word of mouth cheesy cheesy

Since you guys want to reduce it to "your words against mine" confrontation, after shouting match, it is the evidence that actually matters and Igbos already have it grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
Biafrarep:

You're obviously neither intelligent nor smart. If belonging to IYC is the argument you will bring forward when the Igbos will be bringing classified information by neutral whites dating back to the 1700's with all them emphasising that Opobo and Bonny are Igbo territories, then the joke is on you!

You've already lost the debacle and from the looks of things, you have nothing to prove that ijaws have any stake in both Opobo and Bonny except word of mouth cheesy cheesy

Since you guys want to reduce it to "your words against mine" confrontation, after shouting match, it is the evidence that actually matters and Igbos already have it grin grin

Stop saying all these lies online.
Come to Bonny and say it.

I'm from Bonny and we are Ijaws.

See make I tell una, you guys will frustrate from now till forever.
We are Ibani-Ijaw people.
Both Bonny and Opobo.
and nothing you useless ibos can do about that.
We know who we are.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 3:36pm On Nov 29, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Oya leave Nairaland, and
go and remove them from all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations they belong till today, and force them into Ibo own.

Aside from being a student of history, I have extensively transversed the breadth of Southern Nigeria from Seme border to Ogoja and I still do. I was planning to stop here but since you have dared me, I have now taken it upon myself to expose a whole lot of lies in the Niger-delta, including on-going attempts to claim Akwa-ibom shoreline, parts of Crossriver and Gabon as ijaw land. I actually saw a literature mentioning ijaw as been indigenous to Akwa-ibom, guess the reference(lol)? This unbridled expansionism has to be stopped. Thanks to the rich history of Calabar.

As far as arguments persists, ALL the places there has been claim of igboness, have obvious igbo traits (language, culture, physique etc), I am not sure the reverse is always true.

I am sure if this kind of document existed there wouldn't have been need for the senseless bloodbath about who were the owners of ogbe-ijoh.

I am researching to find out who exactly is Ijaw(what makes someone ijaw), when was the term first used? What is the relationship between ijaw in rivers and Delta/Bayelsa? Is there an Ijaw language, if yes does someone from Kalabari, Ogbia or ibani understand someone from Sagbama or Yenegoa?

Remember, FACTS not fiction. Thanks to European historical documents and internet. Shalom.

@Ekealterego, please I would appreciate literatures you can volunteer.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ChinenyeN(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2021
cheruv:

Can you send me the links to these works so that I can download them?
I seem to have issues locating them online

Sure. I certainly don’t mind sharing with you. These sources have not yet entered public domain though, so you will not be able to find a digital copy of the full text. You should be able to read snippets of them on Google Books, but to read the full text, you will need to physically visit some libraries in person. Library of Congress (if you are in the U.S.) or the University of Cambridge or Oxford (if you are in the U.K).

Unfortunately, these places don’t allow you to check the books out and leave. You will have to read them within the vicinity. I don’t have any physical or digital copies myself (otherwise I’d have shared them in my DropBox for Igbo History and Language Studies). The only way I was able to read the full texts myself was when I visited the Library of Congress in the U.S.

Depending on where you went to school however, your university may have a relationship with other universities that might carry a copy of the full text. You may have to put in a request through whatever inter-university checkout system that is available to you.

Snippets of Afigbo’s Ropes of Sand work. https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ropes_of_Sand/NO4JAQAAIAAJ?hl=en

A re-published version of Talbot and Mulhall’s Physical Anthropology of Southern Nigeria. https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Physical_Anthropology_of_Southern_Ni/QTFekkFi_GkC?hl=en

Snippets of Akwaranwa’s publication on Ngwa and Ukwa politico-cultural history. https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Politico_cultural_History_of_Ngwa_and/mpIxAAAAIAAJ?hl=en
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:15pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

These are very recent publications.

Where are the historical references?

What does the phrase mean?

Who established this link ethnographically first?

All our reference here came from 1800s or before 1906.
Algoa's reference from 1970 just at the end of the war is laughable for obvious reasons that we know.
Yeah, you have other references from 2011... Do you have older references? before 1910 at least.

That guy you quoted is full of hubris with no substance. He will just fill everywhere with meaningless trash, even going as far as quoting an ijaw local champion in the person of Alagoa.

I stopped taking him serious when he ignored neutral reports of recorded history, dating as far back as the 1700's only to be quoting fantasies from ijaw ethnocentric writers like Alagoa.

SMH.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
GreatBoss:

Stop saying all these lies online.
Come to Bonny and say it.

I'm from Bonny and we are Ijaws.

See make I tell una, you guys will frustrate from now till forever.
We are Ibani-Ijaw people.
Both Bonny and Opobo.
and nothing you useless ibos can do about that.
We know who we are.

The moment anyone starts throwing insults just know they've lost the argument. If the great Igbo race that were acknowledged by foreigners as far back as 1700's and have continued to make exploits in all spheres of life are useless then I wonder what kai-kai drinking, lazy and delinquent ijaws would be called.

Yes, today you're from Bonny, tomorrow from Opobo, depending on where the argument is. If you like claim that Ama-onye-nabo is ijaw title or coerce the indigenes join IYC or to learn ijaw language, it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things because history has already been established that they're Igbos since ancient of days.

Of course, there are ijaws in Opobo and Bonny but they're settlers! You all will eventually return to Bayelsa.

14 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

The Perekule thing is ridiculous.
They corrupted King Pepple to Perekule.
These people are good at historical distortions.

I learnt the other day that the top flowing gown we have come to associate Ijaw and other Niger Delta groups with that GEJ wore alot was actually originally called "Eighty Bucks", because that was how much it cost to acquire them those days from the whites.
The illiterate Ijaws Ijawnized the "Eighty Bucks" to "Etibo".
And now they claim "Etibo" to be Ijaw dress
. grin

grin grin grin grin grin

Their entire historical claims were all mere fabrications, and the funny thing is that they actually thought they were factual cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Imagine "eighty bucks" as cost of a foreign cloth eventually became an ijaw word "etibo" and now used as their native attire shocked shocked

Same with "Ama-onye-nabo" an Igbo phrase for two Igbo Kings in Bonny eventually became "Amanyanabo"which they now claim is an ijaw title for king grin grin grin

Iswearigad the kai-kai these guys are taking is seriously messing them up grin grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by izac82: 5:02pm On Nov 29, 2021
Biafrarep:

grin grin grin grin grin

Their entire historical claims were all mere fabrications, and the funny thing is that they actually thought they were factual cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Imagine "eighty bucks" as cost of a foreign cloth eventually became an ijaw word "etibo" and now used as their native attire shocked shocked

Same with "Ama-onye-nabo" an Igbo phrase for two Igbo Kings in Bonny eventually became "Amanyanabo"which they now claim is an ijaw title for king grin grin grin

Iswearigad the kai-kai these guys are taking is seriously messing them up grin grin grin grin
I was thinking this thread was an intellectual discussion meet up but it has gradually turned into ethnic profiling.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 5:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:

I am a student of history and was planning to stop here but since you have dared me, I have now taken it upon myself to expose a whole lot of lies in the Niger-delta, including on-going attempts to claim Akwa-ibom shoreline as ijaw land.

As far as arguments persists, ALL the places there has been claim of igboness, have obvious igbo traits (language, culture, physique etc), I am not sure the reverse is always true.

I am sure if this kind of document existed there wouldn't have been need for the senseless bloodbath about who were the owners of ogbe-ijoh.

I am researching to find out who exactly is Ijaw(what makes someone ijaw), when was the term first used? What is the relationship between ijaw in rivers and Delta/Bayelsa? Is there an Ijaw language, if yes does someone from Kalabari, Ogbia or ibani understand someone from Sagbama?

Remember, FACTS not fiction. Thanks to European historical documents and internet. Shalom.

@Ekealterego, please I would appreciate literatures you can volunteer.

Well, for you to understand first, and untangle the whole thing, you have to understand linguistic classifications and understand where these people belong to.

ijaw or Izon only exist in 4 LGAs in Bayelsa. I believe we have mentioned it but not in a dedicated thread. Ogbia is not an Ijaw language, Ogbia is a Cross Riverian people. They are closer to the Ibibios, Efik etc in terms of origin based on their language. They call them Delta central of the Cross Riverian languages.

You can open a thread, "Who are the Ijaws"

Now, to make the thing easy for you.

In Bayelsa, there are 3 main language groups/people.

The ijoids (South Izon/southern Ijaw, Izon etc.)

2. The Edoids (e.g Epie, Attisa, Engenni [Known as the Oguan), Urhobo, Isoko).

3. The Cross-River people (Ogbia, Abureni etc. )

These are the people in Bayelsa and here is their classification and LGAs

Brass
Abureni; Cross-River language/people
Southeast Ijo; IJo
Ogbia; Cross-River language/people
Kugbo; Cross-River language/people

Ekeremor
Izon; Ijo

Kolokuma/Opokuma

Izon; Ijo

Nembe
Abureni; Cross-River people/language
Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon (Ijaw)

Ogbia
Abureni; Cross-River language.
Southeast Ijo;
Odual; Cross-River language
Ogbia; Cross-River language
Oruma; Ijo

Sagbama
Biseni; Ijo
Isoko; Edoid/Edo
Izon; Ijo
Ogbah; Igbo/Igboid
Okodia; inland Ijo/Ijo
Urhobo; Urhobo/Edoid/Edo

Southern Ijaw

Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon; Ijo

Yenagoa
Engenni; Edo/Edoid
Epie; Edo/Edoid
Izon; Ijo
Ekpeye; Igboid

Reference.
Blench, Roger (2019). An Atlas of Nigerian Languages (4th ed.). Cambridge: Kay Williamson Educational Foundation.

Bayelsa – History & Culture – Bayelsa State Government". Retrieved on 2021-29-11 from https://bayelsastate.gov.ng/our-history/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
History fraught with fallacies.No point engaging dunderheads.

I'm glad a lot of my Ijaw brothers have ignored deliberately.Like one of them said,Ijaw man no dey talk plenty.Enjoy your folly online.

I only pray that these bravado online will motivate some of you to act and invade Bonny and Opobo.No time for plenty talk.

Until you grow some balls and act,na siddon look we dey.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Omanambala(m): 5:27pm On Nov 29, 2021
That "etibo" gown is too funny, biko.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Well, for you to understand first, and untangle the whole thing, you have to understand linguistic classifications and understand where these people belong to.

ijaw or Izon only exist in 4 LGAs in Bayelsa. I believe we have mentioned it but not in a dedicated thread. Ogbia is not an Ijaw language, Ogbia is a Cross Riverian people. They are closer to the Ibibios, Efik etc in terms of origin based on their language. They call them Delta central of the Cross Riverian languages.

You can open a thread, "Who are the Ijaws"

Now, to make the thing easy for you.

In Bayelsa, there are 3 main language groups/people.

The ijoids (South Izon/southern Ijaw, Izon etc.)

2. The Edoids (e.g Epie, Attisa, Engenni [Known as the Oguan), Urhobo, Isoko).

3. The Cross-River people (Ogbia, Abureni etc. )

These are the people in Bayelsa and here is their classification and LGAs

Brass
Abureni; Cross-River language/people
Southeast Ijo; IJo
Ogbia; Cross-River language/people
Kugbo; Cross-River language/people

Ekeremor
Izon; Ijo

Kolokuma/Opokuma

Izon; Ijo

Nembe
Abureni; Cross-River people/language
Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon (Ijaw)

Ogbia
Abureni; Cross-River language.
Southeast Ijo;
Odual; Cross-River language
Ogbia; Cross-River language
Oruma; Ijo

Sagbama
Biseni; Ijo
Isoko; Edoid/Edo
Izon; Ijo
Ogbah; Igbo/Igboid
Okodia; inland Ijo/Ijo
Urhobo; Urhobo/Edoid/Edo

Southern Ijaw

Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon; Ijo

Yenagoa
Engenni; Edo/Edoid
Epie; Edo/Edoid
Izon; Ijo
Ekpeye; Igboid

Reference.
Blench, Roger (2019). An Atlas of Nigerian Languages (4th ed.). Cambridge: Kay Williamson Educational Foundation.

Bayelsa – History & Culture – Bayelsa State Government". Retrieved on 2021-29-11 from https://bayelsastate.gov.ng/our-history/

Nice start and thanks for the reference. It is interesting that all the records I have seen has recent references. I will like to read Alagoa's record and more especially find out when the term was first used to describe a group of people.

I saw a online account mentioning ijaw languages and I am confused how an ethnic group has several languages rather than dialects.

I will be ready to do a thread when once I have gathered enough data.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
JANK23H:
History fraught with fallacies.No point engaging dunderheads.

I'm glad a lot of my Ijaw brothers have ignored deliberately.Like one of them said,Ijaw man no dey talk plenty.Enjoy your folly online.

I only pray that these bravado online will motivate some of you to act and invade Bonny and Opobo.No time for plenty talk.

Until you grow some balls and act,na siddon look we dey.

In summary, you have no historical fact to counter the historical facts being laid down here, right?

You can't win the intellectual debate, so you are spoiling for physical fight! Don't worry ,that fight will come, not just yet. Because as you can see, the Igbo nationalist movement has not taken flight and most Igbos are not enlightened enough about these issues yet.
Worst still, we have not evolved any competency in Political leadership in SE capable of undergoing this task, neither do we have a formidable well financed Igbo Nationalist group to finance and power it.

But everything is in the works.
Just get ready. We will give you what you need.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:

Nice start and thanks for the reference. It is interesting that all the records I have seen has recent references. I will like to read Alagoa's record and more especially find out when the term was first used to describe a group of people.

I saw a online account mentioning ijaw languages and I am confused how an ethnic group has several languages rather than dialects.

There is a slight argument in the language but I thought i should follow the reference to favours the Ijos. On the Bayelsan government website, they treated Nembe as a separate language all together. However, I went out of my way to seek a classification that favours the Ijos so they won't be here crying. LOL

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:41pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:

At the bold. That is because Ijaw is not an ethnic group, but rather a political franchise.
It is a modern day fraud that is sustained by crude oil politics and post civil war politics.

The best word for current Ijaw is "Political Franchise".
Ekpeye youths wanted to join when they saw the benefits of oil pipeline protection contract Engenni (Edoid speaking group in Ahoada West) were enjoying once they joined the Ijaw franchise. It took the anger of their (Ekpeye) traditional leaders to stop them.

If not, Ekpeye though an Igboid speaking group would also be part of the Ijaw franchise.

15 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
Biafrarep:

The moment anyone starts throwing insults just know they've lost the argument. If the great Igbo race that were acknowledged by foreigners as far back as 1700's and have continued to make exploits in all spheres of life are useless then I wonder what kai-kai drinking, lazy and delinquent ijaws would be called.

Yes, today you're from Bonny, tomorrow from Opobo, depending on where the argument is. If you like claim that Ama-onye-nabo is ijaw title or coerce the indigenes join IYC or to learn ijaw language, it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things because history has already been established that they're Igbos since ancient of days.

Of course, there are ijaws in Opobo and Bonny but they're settlers! You all will eventually return to Bayelsa.

Your foolishness end on Nairaland.
E no reach Bonny.
Oya come Bonny come talk this one if u know say una reach.
Just come to Bonny and say we are Ibo.

And you will see what will happen to u.
You will leave there on a stretcher.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 6:07pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

There is a slight argument in the language but I thought i should follow the reference to favours the Ijos. On the Bayelsan government website, they treated Nembe as a separate language all together. However, I went out of my way to seek a classification that favours the Ijos so they won't be here crying. LOL

The Nembe people need to be researched. I noticed ijo/ijaw is part of Brass L.G.A, so it makes sense to claim that Brass people are ijaw.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
9Pluto:

The Nembe people need to be researched. I noticed ijo/ijaw is part of Brass L.G.A, so it makes sense to claim that Brass people are ijaw.

Nooo Nwanne, read again, Ijaw makes up ¼ of Brass. Read the classifications again. They are just a minority part of Brass... Cross River people which we the Igbos call "Mmogh" make up a significant part of Brass.. There are books acknowledging the influence that changed their language slightly.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

In summary, you have no historical fact to counter the historical facts being laid down here, right?

You can't win the intellectual debate, so you are spoiling for physical fight! Don't worry ,that fight will come, not just yet. Because as you can see, the Igbo nationalist movement has not taken flight and most Igbos are not enlightened enough about these issues yet.
Worst still, we have not evolved any competency in Political leadership in SE capable of undergoing this task, neither do we have a formidable well financed Igbo Nationalist group to finance and power it.

But everything is in the works.
Just get ready. We will give you what you need.
I've done that in the past.There is no point going over it again since you and your ilks are bent on distorting fact and being online nuisance.

It's well know that there are distortions in European records of Africa and African tribes.So,to what end?

Bask in your folly.The reality is different from your postulations, arguments and your "fact".

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 7:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
JANK23H:

I've done that in the past.There is no point going over it again since you and your ilks are bent on distorting fact and being online nuisance.

It's well know that there are distortions in European records of Africa and African tribes.So,that what end?

Bask in your folly.The reality is different from your postulations, arguments and your "fact".

Lol!
There was no such thing.
The Europeans are not your everyday Africans.
They were meticulous.
You don't know what you are talking about.
They were so meticulous that now extinct minority group like "Otam" were noted and recorded.

The reality is that Europeans met Bonny people as Igbo speakers, whose kings Halliday and Pepple told them they were Igbos.
And until today, Bonny and Opobo remain Igbo speaking.

Tell me your definition of reality again?

If these records from Early Europeans were not there, you would have claimed Opobo and Bonny became Igbo speaking through Eastern region coercion.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 7:13pm On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

Lol!
There was no such thing.
The Europeans are not your everyday Africans.
They were meticulous.
You don't know what you are talking about.
They were so meticulous that now extinct minority group like "Otam" were noted and recorded.

The reality is that Europeans met Bonny people as Igbo speakers, whose kings Halliday and Pepple told them they were Igbos.
And until today, Bonny and Opobo remain Igbo speaking.

Tell me your definition of reality again?

If these records from Early Europeans were not there, you would have claimed Opobo and Bonny became Igbo speaking through Eastern region coercion.
Let's not get started with their meticulous record keeping.

Like I said,I've explained why the Igbo language is dominant in Bonny and Opobo.Those Kings never identified as Igbos,they couldn't have because they spoke Ibani.

Many non-igbo tribe were categorized as Igbos as they still are in modern Nigeria.It still doesn't make them Igbos.I've had to explain to Yorubas and Northerners on several occasions why I'm not Igbo and how Ijaws are a different tribe.

I could show you several records of Ijaws as the Aborigines of Bonny and Opobo,it still won't quell your thirst to have access to the sea.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2021
JANK23H:

Let's not get started with their meticulous record keeping.

Like I said,I've explained why the Igbo language is dominant in Bonny and Opobo.Those Kings never identified as Igbos,they couldn't have because they spoke Ibani.

Many non-igbo tribe were categorized as Igbos as they still are in modern Nigeria.It still doesn't make them Igbos.I've had to explain to Yorubas and Northerners on several occasions why I'm not Igbo and how Ijaws are a different tribe.

I could show you several records of Ijaws as the Aborigines of Bonny and Opobo,it still won't quell your thirst to have access to the sea.

Not true.
The Ijaws were well singled out in the documents shared here.
The Europeans noted that the Ijaws were not very hard-working and preferred to drink day and night.
It's all in that memoirs.
It's ridiculous to claim that the Europeans didn't know the difference between Ijaw and Igbo or Igbo and other minorities of the East, when the documents shared here clearly noted all existing ethnicities in SS today and non was misclassified as Igbo.

Iban/Ubani, were all words the Igbos of hinterland called Bonny and Opobo.
It was never an Ijaw language.

The idea of Ibani being an Ijaw language is a recent manipulation.

If you have any precolonial or pre civil war account of Bonny and Opobo that noted that the people were Ijaws, share it here. Other than Alagoa manipulation and distortions post civil war and other nonsense books based on Alagoa manipulation that followed, no such book exists.
If they do, ChinenyeN would have provided them since.

16 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by christistruth01: 7:38pm On Nov 29, 2021
Heard IPOB are now Claiming Ijebu Igbo , Ilaje Ugbo, Idumota and Alaba (Ala Aba) Markets in Lagos as part of their new Igbo Idu Empire

Can someone please kindly Confirm that it is fake News.

Thank you in advance
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2021
Igboid:

Not true.
The Ijaws were well singled out in the documents shared here.
The Europeans noted that the Ijaws were not very hard-working and preferred to drink day and night.
It's all in that memoirs.
It's ridiculous to claim that the Europeans didn't know the difference between Ijaw and Igbo or Igbo and other minorities of the East, when the documents shared here clearly noted all existing ethnicities in SS today and non was misclassified as Igbo.

Iban/Ubani, were all words the Igbos of hinterland called Bonny and Opobo.
It was never an Ijaw language.

The idea of Ibani being an Ijaw language is a recent manipulation.

If you have any precolonial or pre civil war account of Bonny and Opobo that noted that the people were Ijaws, share it here. Other than Alagoa manipulation and distortions post civil war and other nonsense books based on Alagoa manipulation that followed, no such book exists.
If they do, ChinenyeN would have provided them since.

Don't spend your time explaining things to that guy. I just laughed when he said Europeans had a distorted account of tribes. The same Europeans that were responsible for the scramble and partition of Africa. I won't be surprised if he denied slave trade ever happened too.
The good thing about Crow's account is that it is so detailed you cannot deny it. Igbos owe him a lot. The memoir was written as if the Captain new a time like this would come. He documented all spheres of daily living then (religion,culture,language,physical appearance etc).

The man even wrote a mini igbo dictionary about the language natives were speaking (maybe he was tone deaf or learnt igbo in Liverpool in 1798). I am surprised someone hasn't claimed Captain Crow was actually an igbo named Captain Chukwu.

I daresay from records in that account and existence of igbo culture in both places today, if igbos dare take this matter to a court of arbitration, ijaws would have no case.

19 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
christistruth01:

Heard IPOB are now Claiming Ijebu Igbo , Ilaje Ugbo, Idumota and Alaba (Ala Aba) Markets in Lagos as part of their new Igbo Idu Empire

Can someone please kindly Confirm that it is fake News.

Thank you in advance
In what world is that? You can always tell an individual with a low IQ Apart. Look at how odd your comments look from the academically-backed intellectual interaction we are having here.

How do your parents feel knowing that they birthed an Onuku?

17 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Nooo Nwanne, read again, Ijaw makes up ¼ of Brass. Read the classifications again. They are just a minority part of Brass... Cross River people which we the Igbos call "Mmogh" make up a significant part of Brass.. There are books acknowledging the influence that changed their language slightly.

Accept my apologies, from the record Ijaws are one-quarter of the populace in Brass L.G.A

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by christistruth01: 8:14pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

In what world is that? You can always tell an individual with a low IQ Apart. Look at how odd your comment look from the academically-backed intellectual interaction we are having here.

How do your parents feel knowing that they birthed an Onuku?

With all Humility

I came down to your intellectual level

Don't let me drag you please

If I start being intellectual with you

You will flee this thread

The fact that Mkpuru Miri has Sabotaged your thinking doesn't mean the whole World is like you

Stop taking Mkpuru Miri

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (90) (Reply)

APC Convention: Aspirants Trimmed To 2, Osinbajo And Tinubu - Senator Gaya / Ali Modu Sheriff Shares Money As Large Crowd Storms His Mansion. PICS / 'Don't Let Fayose Die': Isaac Fayose As Security Surround Ekiti Govt House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.