Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,557 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

"love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! (39745 Views)

Vietnamese Man Slept Next To The Dead Wife For 5 Years.--true Love Does Exist!!!! / Love Does Not Ask Us To Be Perfect / True Love Does Not Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

I see !

Praise Tha LORD! grin
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by livedit(f): 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

I believe you are talking about the so-called "Agape Love" which exists between God and his followers. I believe you know that even theologians agree that the God of the old testament is a petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, capriciously malevent bully. If this is what is been described as a "loving" God, then it is sad really and it explains why his followers actively express this same traits, afterall by their fruits, ye shall know them.

I am a true Christian, and although I do not claim to be perfect and also make mistakes and be disobedient at times, GOD is STILL yet faithful, just and merciful to forgive me.  Even you Claremont.   WHY?  Because JESUS paid the way for all of us.  God knew when he sent his only begotten son, that he would still be denied.  Even before they crucified Jesus, they couldn't find no just reason to doing so.  All this, IS written in His word.  Without going into essays of trying to prove a point to someone who obviously have a mindset of what's real and what's not.  I will not judge you.  I can only pray that GOD remove the blinders from your eyes and reveal who is the true deceiver behind all of this.  My GOD is faithful and just to forgive for those who seek him and believe that He is.  He loved us first.  He also loved me when I didn't even love myself.  He is our creator.  His Love and Word endureth forever!  His love and existance is proved day in and day out.  I remember when I use to think like you.  I remember I hated God and everything that was associated with Him.  I was in complete darkness.  I remember cursing the Word of God.  But even still, He still showed himself faithful to forgive as His Word says.  

The Devil is the ONLY one incapable of Love.  He is the one that don't believe in it.  His job is to kill, steal, and destroy.  The devil is the liar and the deceiver.  I really don't know what bible you are reading, but everything I've read has come true and is still happening in this world.  It IS the end of time and the devil is working overtime to get as many souls as he possiby can.  Right now, you can believe what you want to believe.  But in the end, as the bible says: EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that HE is GOD.  That's all the proof we all need.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 6:21pm On Jul 11, 2011
livedit:

I am a true Christian, and although I do not claim to be perfect and also make mistakes and be disobedient at times, GOD is STILL yet faithful, just and merciful to forgive me.  Even you Claremont.   WHY?  Because JESUS paid the way for all of us.  God knew when he sent his only begotten son, that he would still be denied.  Even before they crucified Jesus, they couldn't find no just reason to doing so.  All this, IS written in His word.  Without going into essays of trying to prove a point to someone who obviously have a mindset of what's real and what's not.  I will not judge you.  I can only pray that GOD remove the blinders from your eyes and reveal who is the true deceiver behind all of this.  My GOD is faithful and just to forgive for those who seek him and believe that He is.  He loved us first.  He also loved me when I didn't even love myself.  He is our creator.  His Love and Word endureth forever!  His love and existance is proved day in and day out.  I remember when I use to think like you.  I remember I hated God and everything that was associated with Him.  I was in complete darkness.  I remember cursing the Word of God.  But even still, He still showed himself faithful to forgive as His Word says.  

The Devil is the ONLY one incapable of Love.  He is the one that don't believe in it.  His job is to kill, steal, and destroy.  The devil is the liar and the deceiver.  I really don't know what bible you are reading, but everything I've read has come true and is still happening in this world.  It IS the end of time and the devil is working overtime to get as many souls as he possiby can.  Right now, you can believe what you want to believe.  But in the end, as the bible says: EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that HE is GOD.  That's all the proof we all need.
I believe your rant is better reserved for the Religious Section of Nairaland, cheerz.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by Rocktation(f): 6:22pm On Jul 11, 2011
@OP- True, there mightn't be a correlation between love and a sustained relationship but dude, you said it yourself. Love supposedly has a thousand definitions. One might be compatibility, since you're so focused on lasting relationships/marriages. But that's just one in a thousand and compatibility doesn't always cut it. Tell you the truth, relationships don't have to be sustained to signify the presence of love. Or d'you want to tell us that you've never heard anyone say, 'I left him because i love him'?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 6:28pm On Jul 11, 2011
Rocktation:

@OP- True, there mightn't be a correlation between love and a sustained relationship but dude, you said it yourself. Love supposedly has a thousand definitions. One might be compatibility, since you're so focused on lasting relationships/marriages. But that's just one in a thousand and compatibility doesn't always cut it. Tell you the truth, relationships don't have to be sustained to signify the presence of love. Or d'you want to tell us that you've never heard anyone say, 'I left him because i love him'?
Good points made! The intriguing thing is that the whole "love" concept is indeed confusing because it has got no standard definition. There is no rational way to define what "love" means, or it's characteristics because it's adherents say it means different things to different people, that's what makes it so ridiculous. The media further makes us believe that it exists, and it should be a foundation for a true relationship, what a load of bollocks! It's insane, a delusionary disorder!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by 2Praise: 6:28pm On Jul 11, 2011
undecided undecided

ok u won happy? stay blessed
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by N101: 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont: I believe you should know that our mothers, fathers, and ancestors never married on the basis of a delusion called "love", because if they did, their marriages wouldn't have lasted donkey-years as compared to the "love" deluded societies of today. Our ancestors married on the basis of mutual respect and compatibility, this entails a honest recognition of each others strength and weaknesses. It is different from the "love" delusion propagated today by the western societies which has directly led to an increase in divorce rates and single parenthood plaguing the western world today. These societal ills have begun to permeate the facets of the African economy because we have also started to absorb the false tenets of the "love" delusion, the same way we absorbed the "God delusion" and allowed it to destroy our cultural norms and values. What you call "communality" has been an inherent part of the human nature all through the perilous times of evolution, even most animals are communal in nature, does it mean animals experience "love" too?!

Very interesting dissertation but in no way answers my questions.

Let me try again:

1) Are you/have you ever been married?
2) have you ever observed your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles relationships?
3) have you ever spoken to someone who's been married for more than 20 years for their point of view?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 6:51pm On Jul 11, 2011
N101:

Very interesting dissertation but in no way answers my questions.

Let me try again:

1) Are you/have you ever been married?
2) have you ever observed your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles relationships?
3) have you ever spoken to someone who's been married for more than 20 years for their point of view?

No!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by N101: 7:27pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

No!

Your assignment:

1) Go and speak to someone who's been married for more than 20 years, ok, maybe over 10 years.  The longer the better.  Ask them what advice they can give someone regarding marriage.

2) When next you're around your family, observe the dynamics: aunt and uncle, parents, siblings and spouses even.  Even the bad relationships can teach you something.

You can learn a lot just watching people and speaking to them.  You may theorise about love, but until you find yourself in a position where you want to commit to someone, you will realise there are a number of factors at play, and one of them simply isn't "go forth and multiply" as may have been the case of our ancestors.

Whether love is a feeling or not doesn't matter at this point.  What you will notice (in a couple that are in a good relationship with each other) is an awareness that transcends sentiment.  There is commitment, there is a degree of sacrificing for the greater good, compromise, all those things come into it. 

If you don't want to use the word "love" because you don't think it's a delusion, fine.  This delusion means different things to different people, but for most people in committed relationships its meaning is all encompassing, beyond any single word.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by helpdoer: 7:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
This poster has apparently NOT met me and my spouse of 17 years. my spouse still makes my heart skip a beat.

If you haven't found it - i'm sorry, BUT YES hot, sexy, uncomfortably heart shattering LOVE does exist - even in the long-term; just NOT for you - just yet!

good luck.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 8:05pm On Jul 11, 2011
helpdoer:

This poster has apparently NOT met me and my spouse of 17 years. my spouse still makes my heart skip a beat.

If you haven't found it - i'm sorry, BUT YES hot, [size=13pt]sexy[/size], uncomfortably heart shattering LOVE does exist - even in the long-term; just NOT for you - just yet!

good luck.
Apparently, it is clear what "love" means to you.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by omodapson(m): 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
What more can people say to drive home their points on the existence of love?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by helpdoer: 8:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
Apparently, it is clear what "love" means to you.

YES! for me, love means fuzzy feelings that are enduring and true and results in non-forced, natural affection, consideration, communication, togetherness, breathless anticipation, resolution-rooted disagreement, and happiness.

Oh and yes SEXY - after 17 yrs, YES - sexy. Hot, breath-taking attractive, playful, engaging, no need for words SEXY.

What's your definition?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
helpdoer:

YES! for me, love means fuzzy feelings that are enduring and true and results in non-forced, natural affection, consideration, communication, togetherness, breathless anticipation, resolution-rooted disagreement, and happiness.

Oh and yes [size=13pt]SEXY[/size] - after 17 yrs, YES - [size=13pt]sexy[/size]. Hot, breath-taking attractive, playful, engaging, no need for words [size=13pt]SEXY[/size].

What's your definition?

You have merely reinforced and validated my argument that "love" does not exist, but people tend to misconstrue basic human traits of lust and friendship to mean "love". It has no definition because it is a misnomer.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by N101: 8:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
helpdoer:

Oh and yes SEXY - after 17 yrs, YES - sexy. Hot, breath-taking attractive, playful, engaging, no need for words SEXY.

What's your definition?

Your comments pretty much encompasses it.  Love is just a word but what you and your spouse share goes beyond the meaning of a word.  It is emotional, physical, spiritual, and everything in between  cheesy

I remember watching a couple in their 80s talking about how they met, their relationship, their struggles and giving their advice on what it takes to sustain a marriage.  After 60+ years of marriage it was obvious this was a couple who cared deeply for each other  - some would describe it as "love".  And they were Nigerian (and very funny too)!

17 down, 43 more to go  grin grin
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by koolguy88(m): 8:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
if i can go out of my way to make another happy, without expecting anything from him/her; this is love.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by helpdoer: 9:03pm On Jul 11, 2011
people tend to misconstrue basic human traits of lust and friendship to mean "love"

Interesting how you Cherry-picked an entire statement and only highlighted the word "sexy". I get it! you think sexual interaction is the ONLY avenue to express real emotion - knowing more, i am so sorry your entire existence has been reduced to that. But i appreciate that for you, THIS IS TRUE!

I'm experiencing more - much more.

So, answer me this: why is it that I and other individuals who swear to have a deeper level of commitment to one individual feel this way? While we know that we can "get it up" for everyone, why do we yearn for ONLY one - why?

Well, I've found my one - have fun with your 50.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by executinal(m): 9:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
Still reading,
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 9:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
The delusion is deeper than I thought it was!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by Purist(m): 10:10pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^ The only delusional person here is you, claremont. Even if love does not exist as you claim, you're doing an extremely poor job at presenting a tenable argument in support of your claim. "Love does not exist because its definition is subjective" - that's your argument. In other words, emotions that have subjective definitions do not exist; which invariably renders other emotions such as Fear, Joy and Anger non-existent as well. Are you even reading what you're typing at all?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by EfeEkarume(m): 10:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

The delusion is deeper than I thought it was!
Deeper than abyss? Maybe.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by EfeEkarume(m): 10:17pm On Jul 11, 2011
''For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him will not perish but have eternal life'' , and somebody somewhere is telling the world that love doesn't exist?
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 10:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
Purist:

^^ The only delusional person here is you, claremont. Even if love does not exist as you claim, you're doing an extremely poor job at presenting a tenable argument in support of your claim. "Love does not exist because its definition is subjective" - that's your argument. In other words, emotions that have subjective definitions do not exist; which invariably renders other emotions such as Fear, Joy and Anger non-existent as well. Are you even reading what you're typing at all?
Are you going to make a logical point in favour or against this argument, or do you prefer picking holes only you can see in the points made by others?!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2011
EfeEkarume:

''For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him will not perish but have eternal life'' , and somebody somewhere is telling the world that love doesn't exist?
Is that applicable to those who don't believe in God as well?!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by Purist(m): 10:25pm On Jul 11, 2011
@claremont,

I think you're simply catching trips and only trying to wind people up here.  But just so some people won't take you seriously, allow me to address this point.

claremont:

There is no rational way to define what "love" means, or it's characteristics because it's adherents say it means different things to different people, that's what makes it so ridiculous.

It is ridiculous (hence, non-existent) because it means different things to different people, right?  Going by your logic then, a whole lot of things in this world must be ridiculous.

Here, a small homework for you, for a start.  Give an "objective definition" of the following:

1. Success
2. Fun
3. Disaster

Cheers mate.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by Purist(m): 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

Are you going to make a logical point in favour or against this argument, or do you prefer picking holes only you can see in the points made by others?!

By picking holes in your argument (which is FAR from logical by the way), I have made my argument already. Dissect it if you can.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
Cheerz to the following persons for their logical contribution to this argument;

iice, naijababe, Tosinville, Missy ★ B, Richvkunt, Frazy, Roland17, Teejayl, Amalaaba, N101

What makes us different from animals is no more than our ability to reason and ask relevant questions. The day we stop asking questions is the day we loose our humanism and become no different from animals.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by 190: 10:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
[size=16pt]Huh?[/size]

Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by MissyB3(f): 10:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

eating my words?! I am saying that the failure of people like yourself who supposedly believe in "love" to provide an objective definition for it means that you agree that "love" in itself is subjective. Since it is subjective and can never be proven to exist, it therefore logically follows that it does NOT exist, it is simple ABC logic really. If you can agree that it is subjective and lacks an objective definition, it can't be defined by science, therefore, it doesn't exist.
What?? ?? ??  undecided
Of all the ridiculous things you've said since yesterday, this is by far the most illogical. Because it is subjective, it doesn't exist? Because I cannot prove it, it doesn't exist? Seriously?
A) Everything that cannot be proven does not exist
B) Smell cannot be proven
Therefore smell does not exist . . .everything is odourless.
Like, really?   grin

This pushes the limit of simple logic, please, enough already, dude.
Does fear exist? Prove fear to me. Does thought exist? Prove your thought to me. Does beauty exist? Prove beauty to me. Does pain exist? Prove pain to me. Do dreams exist? Prove to me that you dream. Is there something like compassion? Prove it to me.
All these are subjective and incorporeal hence, have no tangible proof, does that mean they aren't real? Dude, absence of proof is not proof of absence . . .whoever tells you otherwise is phocking with your intelligence.
The lone man on an island, without a mirror, that feels the presence of a particle in his eye and affirms there's a particle in his eye, is wrong and, there's actually nothing in his eye simply because he cannot see the particle or no one can show him the particle/ prove to him that it's actually there?  undecided

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. . . this should be my last post on this thread. I'm not a great fan of back and forth arguments. Say something new and I may be back.

claremont:

Cheerz to the following persons for their logical contribution to this argument;

iice, naijababe, Tosinville, Missy ★ B, Richvkunt, Frazy, Roland17, Teejayl, Amalaaba, N101

What makes us different from animals is no more than our ability to reason and ask relevant questions. The day we stop asking questions is the day we loose our humanism and become no different from animals.
Yeah! Go into the world and start searching for that someone that will give you an empirical understanding of that emotion - Love. It's a beautiful thing and, while at it, you might want to consider going closer to your maker - God. Both are real and are the ultimate- God and Love. smiley
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 11:03pm On Jul 11, 2011
It is indeed funny that the only proof adherents of the "love" delusion have come up with in this debate is that, love exists because they FEEL/KNOW/BELIEVE it exists. What a despicable and irrational way of thinking by a learned human being! It is the same passionate irrationality people use to indulge in ridiculous belief systems such as religion, and yet they can't proffer a rationale for their beliefs. It is analogous to people choosing to remain in their comfort zone because they can't stand the public ridicule they may experience when they choose to question their long-standing erroneous beliefs. What a delusion indeed!
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by claremont(m): 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Yeah! Go into the world and start searching for that someone that will give you an empirical understanding of that emotion - Love. It's a beautiful thing and, while at it, you might want to consider going closer to your maker - God. Both are real and are the ultimate- God and Love. smiley

I get my understanding of the world from PROOF/hard facts/science. I will be the most miserable of all men if I have to rely on a deluded belief system in order to express a basic human trait. I appreciate your contribution to this debate, but you and I know that religion and science can never and will never agree. You have your views you hold passionately to yourself, same way I have mine; I may not be entirely correct, but I certainly don't need religion to explain to me what correctness is.
Re: "love" Does Not Exist, Let's Stop This Delusion! by EfeEkarume(m): 11:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
claremont:

Is that applicable to those who don't believe in God as well?!
It is only a fool that sayeth in his heart, that there's no God. Don't quote me on that one, the bible said so. Of course it is applicable to both the so-called atheist and the 'un'atheist. God was not selective when he sent his son, neither was he partial in his deeds. All these narrows down to one thing ----LOVE----

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Carries His Beautiful Fiancee On His Shoulder In Lovely Pre-wedding Photos / My Boyfriend Is So Annoying!!! / It Started With A Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.