Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (15288 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
Sagamite:

Honestly, I would be better of as a Judge than as a Debater because nobody has a better logical or intellectual brain than the one I have.

I am simply a God in that department.

I tend to always be right, so it would be best to have others debate and I cut the illogicality and unratiocinated parts out from their arguments.

I already have years of experience doing such on NL.
Even me I would be too scared to debate with you kai! You remind me of House, ok I wanted to say that Lord Tyrion in a good way oh biko lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed dont pour your wrath on me.

davidylan:

the list is itself godfatherism in action, the selection mostly based on man know man... no one should be placed above the other does not mean cream doesnt rise to the top. Lets be frank here... there are some that are just more knowledgeable at politics than others. Its not godfatherism but reality at play. at least my list is based solely on past credibility on the political section. I cant imagine what 190 or mrbrownjay would have to say on a political topic that would make a shred of sense.

The list is way too long, we dont want to have to read 10 pages before everyone has had the chance to speak on the topic.
Hmmmm Cuddles see, thats sentiment yo uwould never avoid and this coming from a "Godfather" here grin grin grin abeg nor pour on me too oh.
A faceoff between you and Saga nor go bad sha.

Cuddlemii: This is what I was trying to avoid when I advised for a team debate.
Nairaland men and egocentrism. angry
I would prefer a team win rather than individual winners
Oam4j say something, what do you think of all these new developments?
I did not mean to scatter this thing oh, and yes everyone including me should not be satisfied. Lets stop complaining and get to work oya make I look for your email.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
Oya ko ma roll grin abeg put my name. I love debating grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
Gooday Mr.chapman! Panel of judges! Acurate Time keeper & my co-debaters. I'm against the motion which says "anything''.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Odunnu: 3:37pm On Jul 18, 2012
Hope that arguementator Honeric01 is among the debaters.
*make I go check first*
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 4:57pm On Jul 18, 2012
*Yawns* I hope I wont be bored to death. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 18, 2012
**** MBJ grabs a chair, sit down, cracks his fingers and patiently wait for the debate to starts, while sipping on a cold drink****

count me in!!!!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
[quote author=MRbrownJAY]**** MBJ grabs a chair, sit down, cracks his fingers and patiently wait for the debate to starts, while sipping on a cold drink****

count me in!!!![/quote

Thats the spirit!
Thanks for coming. Are you for or against the motion?
What's your availability for Saturday?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ronkebp(f): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2012
Tgirl4real: *Yawns* I hope I wont be bored to death. grin

My thoughts too....lol, grin grin grin ....too much grammar and ten dictionary words in a sentence is = boredom. wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ronkebp(f): 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2012
MRbrownJAY: **** MBJ grabs a chair, sit down, cracks his fingers and patiently wait for the debate to starts, while sipping on a cold drink****

count me in!!!!

This is going to be a funny debate.....grin grin grin, can't wait....as long as COOgar brings in that video of the boy dancing alanta....that is enough to throw the other debaters off their feet.grin grin grin....
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
Cuddlemii: Thats the spirit!
Thanks for coming. Are you for or against the motion?
What's your availability for Saturday?

i am fully against this motion.
as for saturday, if it isnt too early (European time) then I can definitely find the time.

ronkebp:
This is going to be a funny debate.....grin grin grin, can't wait....as long as COOgar brings in that video of the boy dancing alanta....that is enough to throw the other debaters off their feet.grin grin grin....

where is brotha Coogar sef? I havent seen him around lately......
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by dayokanu(m): 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2012
Sagamite, Debosky, Beaf, Coogar(Not sure if he is interested in politicl debates), Ibime and manny4life

NB. if you have Beaf then dont have gbawe else there might be blood on this thread
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 18, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by nitrogen(m): 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
This will be very interesting and I am eagerly waiting for that day, btw, isn't that day too near, why not next weekend? This week will be for the preparations.
Also, i think sagamite should be among the judges cos the guy is tough and can argue things to his side, if he is a debater, believe me, his side might win.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by nitrogen(m): 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2012
apocalypse: The point in choosing people who are regulars from other sections or people who others feel are not "politically inclined" is to have diversity of ideas and suggestions. Cuddlemi has done a good job thus far ( including choice of debaters ) and she should be left alone to do her thing , if y'all think you are so smart why didn't y'all come up with the idea.Again putting only "politically inclined" debaters on the bench would make the debate dull to others who aren't.

@Cuddlemi : I'm sorry but I think I will pull out of this debate as the tone of some people towards the debate isn't encouraging.
Going by the bolded, then the list of debaters is incomplete because there is no one from the career section.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by deshclones(m): 7:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
davidylan:

with coogar and sagamite on the list of "debaters"? grin You better bring your dictionary along with you. Oh and please learn the meaning of this word - Cretin,

I die fighting if the person alay cretin legend sagamite makes the trip...arik is not doing any promo on their aberdeen routes...until they do...sagamite remains in aberdeen.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by coogar: 7:24pm On Jul 18, 2012
interesting....
can we get this started already?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2012
coogar: interesting....

Its still warm up time. . .
Dont let the testosterone overdrive
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ronkebp(f): 7:57pm On Jul 18, 2012
coogar: interesting....

you can start it off with an opening ceremony...."special alanta dance from Coogar AND THE BAD BOYS CREW" grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by jaybee3(m): 8:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
Yes Yes Yes
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by coogar: 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2012
ronkebp:

you can start it off with an opening ceremony...."special alanta dance from Coogar AND THE BAD BOYS CREW" grin grin grin grin

as your lordship pleases....

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ronkebp(f): 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
grin grin grin Lgrin grin that video will never stop cracking me up......grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Jarus(m): 10:27pm On Jul 18, 2012
davidylan: how were the "debaters" selected?
I quite agree with chrisbenegor's thoughts... there are far too many people on that list and to be honest... 190, mrbrownjay, maclatunji? shocked What next? Clowns debating the Italian economic depression?

Trim the list down to the 5-6 most prominent posters on the politics section... me i would go with Sagamite, Coogar, Beaf, Gbawe and Debosky. Serious, intelligent dudes who can make this debate a really fun experience. Having clowns like 190 arguing for or against a serious political topic is a joke.
I remember the Bolekaja debate me and you had in 2009 on Sanusi, when I dragged you out of a thread to a fresh thread.
Enlightening.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Jarus(m): 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
nitrogen:
Going by the bolded, then the list of debaters is incomplete because there is no one from the career section.

This is a political topic and debaters should ordinarily be chosen from Politics section. We will have a career debate some other time.

@OP,
I'm in for this. I will also like to be on the panel of judges.

I suggest the debaters be pruned down to 3-a-side and a panel of 5 judges(odd no, so there won't be tie). I don't think Beaf and Gbawe need to be there. Both are too partisan, and form the default line for the 2 opposing camps in Nairaland Political section, and their team of supporters from Politics section will natrally queue behind them, making the debate rowdy.Sagamite has also opted out.

I suggest 4 active persons in political section and 2 politically not-so-active Nairalanders to add some fresh touch to it(apart from the predictable regular political debaters).

Rules should also be set for Judges too. Their judgment should not be based on the opinion they personally hold of the topic but what side(purely from the arguments presented by both parties) is more convincing.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Jarus(m): 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
nitrogen:

This is a political topic and debaters should ordinarily be chosen from Politics section. We will have a career debate some other time.

@OP,
I'm in for this. I will also like to be on the panel of judges.

I suggest the debaters be pruned down to 3-a-side and a panel of 5 judges(odd no, so there won't be tie). I don't think Beaf and Gbawe need to be there. Both are too partisan, and form the default line for the 2 opposing camps in Nairaland Political section, and their team of supporters from Politics section will natrally queue behind them, making the debate rowdy.Sagamite has also opted out.

I suggest 4 active persons in political section and 2 politically not-so-active Nairalanders to add some fresh touch to it(apart from the predictable regular political debaters).

Rules should also be set for Judges too. Their judgment should not be based on the opinion they personally hold of the topic but what side(purely from the arguments presented by both parties) is more convincing.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by r231(m): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
freecocoa: Btw Cuddles,I saw SEEDORD in the list,please is he on the list as a debater or timekeeper?

I believe it should be the latter cos I'm sure you don't want everybody dead from nuclear Gbagaun bombs,abeg i never wan die o cos my bulletproof was stolen last night and i can't afford another one now.cheesy

Lmao grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2012
Thank you all for your contributions, I appreciate it.

I will work on all the contributions tonight. But all the contestants still stand!
This is not a debate for political "elites" or "the i am that i am" but for diverse individuals who want to contribute to the learning experience on Nairaland. I am sure another debate for the so called political "giants" can be arranged next time.

The debaters are all equal to the task and very instrumental to this debate. Lets have fresh members air their school of thought for a change. We r tired of the same thing, same contributors all the time, same language, same style, same predictive ego bullshit. Its time for a change!

This thread is locked till tomorrow.
Have a good night rest.

FYI "Nairaland" Debate- Togetherness and not "Politics" Debate

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 6:16am On Jul 19, 2012
KEY TERMS OF A DEBATE

Resolution: the main argument – always stated in the positive

Affirmative: argues the resolution – tries to prove it correct

Negative: argues against the resolution – tries to prove it incorrect

Constructive Phase: each side will have 2 chances to construct their arguments

Cross-examination: each side will have a chance to question the other side after each constructive argument has been made

Rebuttal Phase: each side will have 2 chances to rebut the statements made by the other side and clear up any confusion surrounding their own arguments
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 8:38am On Jul 19, 2012
THREAD RE-OPENED!!!!

You would be updated with the modalities today.
I am waiting on the project manager, Chrisbenogor and Judge, Oam4j to endorse and put finishing touches to it.

Check out the list of Judges on the first post. The topic of discussion has been re-written for clarity as well.

Thanks!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by chucky234(m): 9:01am On Jul 19, 2012
Chrisbenogor: Dear Cuddlemii (Na wa oh only your name self undecided undecided undecided )

To avert the usual disaster that takes place here in Nairaland let me first raise the real concerns that I have seen so far.

1. A very good debate like the BBC debates are usually best done with a minimal number of people, your list of debaters is quite a lot. By the time we give them each time to write speak we might have even lost track of what the first person has to say and where the whole debate is leading.

Suggestion
Reduce the number of people on both sides to two, there should be a lead and an assistant that way we can get a very stream lined argument from both sides.
If this goes well all the other people would get a chance to go at it against each other, in fact if it goes very well we can have a tournament that goes all the way to the top.

2. What are the rules that would govern the debate? would the debate thread be set up in such a way as to allow only those that are involved in the debate to give replies? What format would their replies be in? I suppose as we are on a website we would be talking of number of words per statement or what?

Suggestion
Let there be a preset number of words each section would take, opening statements, supporting statements from the both sides should also have a number. Questions from one team to another should be concise and straightforward. Replies also should be streamlined and concise.

3. THE AUDIENCE
- this is where the success of each debate lies, what are your plans for the audience?

Suggestion
The audience like I said earlier should read, but they should not be allowed to post on these threads so that we can avoid derailing it. They can have a pseudo thread of theirs to make fun and argue all they want but we dont want that "noise" getting to the main house. Intelligent questions posed in there can then be copied and transferred by the moderators to the main debate.

4 THE JUDGES
- Why should only a couple of judges choose the winners?

Suggestion
To avoid "God-fatherism" in the judgement process why not leave the whole debate wide open to Nairaland to judge? That way you save yourself from the problem of Okija_juju and Sagamite na paddy paddy so he always gets 10/10. It would be good to take a survey before and see what people's perceptions are, then take another after and see how it has changed and then the winner emerges.

My two cents written from the back of my night school class.

Cheers.
Double seconded
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by debosky(m): 11:11am On Jul 19, 2012
I don't see how you can have a good debate with so many participants at the same time - are you planning to ask a question and get all the debaters to respond one after the other?

I'd like to participate but would like to better understand what is proposed and what the ground rules are - e.g. are you allowed to use words like cretin and mooron? cheesy cheesy

How long are the posts allowed to be? It would be good to set a limit, else the more verbose debaters will write mind boggling epistles that no one will be bothered to read. Is quoting permitted on rebuttal?

Sorry for the jumbled up response and for repeating issues others may have already mentioned.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 11:16am On Jul 19, 2012
debosky: I don't see how you can have a good debate with so many participants at the same time - are you planning to ask a question and get all the debaters to respond one after the other?

I'd like to participate but would like to better understand what is proposed and what the ground rules are - e.g. are you allowed to use words like cretin and mooron? cheesy cheesy

How long are the posts allowed to be? It would be good to set a limit, else the more verbose debaters will write mind boggling epistles that no one will be bothered to read. Is quoting permitted on rebuttal?

Sorry for the jumbled up response and for repeating issues others may have already mentioned.

No, they are quite relevant questions. I have just decided to wait for the organisers to come out with their rules of engagement before asking more questions or making observations.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 11:27am On Jul 19, 2012
debosky: I don't see how you can have a good debate with so many participants at the same time - are you planning to ask a question and get all the debaters to respond one after the other?

I think the obvious ground rules are ABSOLUTELY no one is allowed to use words like person, cretin, mooron, FOOOOOOL, dimwit, mugu and reetard except ther debater is called Sagamite. grin

And if Beaf is removed from that list, the likelihood of those being used drops drastically. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Pass A Failed Test- A Short Comedy Story / 5 Reasons Love Scenes Are Important In Storytelling / Dirty Diamonds Of Boko Haram Part 2....by Eze Eke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.