Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

9ijaMan's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9ijaMan's Profile / 9ijaMan's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 64 pages)

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 6:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
jp philips:

let us start with shell,
majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level, have you in your "life experience" heard where people pass SITP and shell tells them " sorry we cant take you because you didn't attend an old generation school"? or you are implying that Shell will deny you SITP admission because you didn't attend an old gen. uni.? these people are more interested in the stuff you are made of not some yeye Nigerian old generation school that hasn't made first 50 universities in the world.

I'll take you on just the above point alone and simply ignore the rest of your epistle. It's a fallacy to state that "majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level". Your postulate smacks of someone who can barely see beyond his nose. Shell is a world wide company which does not employ from Nigeria alone. I have tens of friends who went to SITP and were left in the lurch for graduates who got their MSc from schools abroad. Let me explain better so that I wont get misquoted again: While a few friends went to SITP and others went to schools abroad, Shell still preferred to employ those who schooled abroad to the SITP guys (the same guys Shell trained). This still happens to date. By the way this was not a one off occurrence, so please save yourself the trouble of trying to explain.

I've had the opportunity to work in different continents/countries and my experience working in the industry across the world remains the same. It's your choice if you decide to continue to live in self denial.

No where in my entire posts have I said a graduate from any school in Nigeria does not stand a chance to work in the O&G industry, how you came to such a funny conclusion tells me a lot more about you. I'm fully aware that lots of school cert leavers work in the industry, as such it'll be foolhardy for any one to state that only specific Unis' grads work in the industry.

This will certainly the last I'll respond to your post. Peace!
Properties / Re: Architectural Designs For Nairalanders Who Want To Build by 9ijaMan: 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
@Ihebrooke,
I'll still contact you hopefully within the next week or two. Can you please help with the list of deliverable? Will your plans also include the electrical and plumbing schedules?
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
deepwater:

Am sorry, I meant to say amena/kpono, not akpo (jack ryan is working on akpo field the last time I checked).
These days, only a few degree holders get the opportunity to come in though the assistant drillers' cadre,majority is being forced to pass the ladder completely starting from the roustabout position but kinda accelerated.
I am not an experienced hand, am still very much young and in my final year, I will consider your advice but will this give room to more suggestions from seasoned personnel like you, so many thanks once again, I am grateful

No wahala. I missed out on the fun in Amenam/Kpono field. We lost out to a competitor for the contract on the continued field development around 2003/2004. However, I worked in the USAN field (Total probably ELF back then), on an old/jallopy semi-sub rig, to drill the wells USAN-1 & USAN-2 exploratory wells.

The accelerated drilling training program (ADT) is the same as I mentioned earlier. The guys are employed as Assitant Drillers, however, they'll have to pass through just about every position (including roustabout job) on the rig while undergoing the training to finally become a fulltime asst. driller.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2013
deepwater: 9ijaman, I have an aspiration to be a driller some day, nothing else in this world fascinates me except that ambition, although still in my final year in school, I have attended numerous drilling and opito approved courses, I have passed my well control(intro), mastered my kill sheet preparation(surface stack), but still trying to get my act right with subsea, presently I am studying for my well control(fundamental), but a friend is advising me to switch over to subsea, I mean SWAT, he gave me some moduspec texts and pointed out some interesting things in hydril,
* as a professional in the drilling field, do you think drilling is better off compared to SWAT or otherwise?
* what are the major challenges that stands on one becoming a driller?
*is it advisable for one to progress to tool/tour pusher as a driller or move to the operator side as a company man, which is more preferable?
*since the SWAT guys are not really needed in jack ups and swamp barges due to the nature of their BOP not being submerged, don't you think SWAT guys would be limited to deepwater only and is that not a negativity on its own?
*finally for now, which is more challenging?
So many thanks for the input, we are all learning from you sir.

P S: where you on the Baltic 1 or Adriatic 1, they drilled in the akpo field in the 90s

My brother sorry o! Commercially Viable oil reserve was discovered in OML-130 (Akpo field) in the year 2000. In the 90s I was still studying at Ife, left school jsut b4 we entered the 2000s. I did have a few stints in the field though while working with a multinational service provider in the early 2000s, drilling the delineation wells. Besides neither Baltic nor Adriatic 1 (AD-1) could have ever been on Akpo field as both rigs are jack-ups and have a rated water depths less than 400 ft. Akpo field has water depth in excess of 3,000 ft. I was once on rig AD-1 in the Exon field off the coast of Calabar.

Subsea engineers are currently in high demand as there are relatively very few subsea experts in the world today. Their pay is also quite juicy. Drilling Egineering is however more versatile and is not necessarily as restricted to deepwater alone as Subsea engineering is. If you are a young beginner, I'll go the Subsea Engineering route. If you are an experienced hand, drilling Engineering is a safer bet.

If you chose the drilling option (not drilling engineering), most degree holders back then (don't know what is obtainable currently o!) are often employed to start as assistant drillers and you'll work your way up through driller, tour pusher, tool pusher, OIM (for an offshore rig), rig manager etc.

I hope I have managed to answer your question.

2 Likes 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
kika41: @9ija man,which of these applicants have a brighter chance
Mr.A-petroleum engineer 1st class-Uniport
Mr.B-petroleum engineer 1st class-unilag
Mr.C-petroleum engineer 1st class-uniben
Plz,rank dem with reasons!!

The first criteria at getting a shot into an O&G firm is to finish first with a 2:1. At least a lot of interview doors will easily open for you. UniLag and UniBen have for long ranked among the top schools in Nigeria. UniPort obviously enjoys the advantage of location. I know some here feel schools don't matter, they are very much entitled to their opinion. My almost 15 years in the industry, shows clearly that Schools do really matter. Arguing that they don't matter amounts to self denial. In the UK and the US it's the same. In fact, it does happen too in the middle east.

Back to your questions, those three schools have an almost equal ranking within the industry in Nigeria, once again UniPort enjoys location advantage, hence it just about ranks equal with the other two heavy weights.

Since there will be no significant "school factor" advantage, it then boils down to individual performance, members of the interviewing panel and finally luck.

My response above is based on real life experience and not some "equal opportunity employer" hogwash.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
femishow2005: @ 9ijaman, jpphilips et al.. pls kindly mention some kind of certifications or professional course will you recommend for a fresh graduate in petroleum engineering can embark on in order to boost himself in this competitive market. thanks

I'd say it depends on a number of factors. Some of these include where are you currently, how much can you afford to spend on a professional training and what exactly is your aim (as in which specific area of specialization are you really interested in)? Going for an MSc. is often an expensive venture which currently yields little or no extra benefit compared to having only a first degree. Besides going for MSc abroad is quite expensive. MSc in Nigeria would be fine since it'll be a lot cheaper and you'll at least keep learning while searching for a good opportunity.

As a starter, a local training in Mud Engineering/drilling fluids (PTI @ Effurun seems to be offering a course on drilling fluids) will be just fine. I'll strongly recommend this. However, courses in solids control would ok too.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2013
FPSOs allow some form of processing before the crude is transported out of the field, as such these have production/processing facilities installed. Once the crude is on surface, you are already out of the upstream mode. You cannot have an FPSO if the crude is not on surface for processing. On the other hand FSOs have no production facilities installed on them. These are meant for storage only. Both FPSOs and FSOs are classified as part of midstream.

The Upstream sector does not include any form of crude processing. I hope I have been able to make myself clear enough.

1 Like

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips: author=9ijaMan]

I may have to correct you again though i appreciate some of your valid points,

FPSO means floating production storage offloading, from its name alone, you can deduce that it produces as much as it stores,
an example in Nigeria, is Bonga owned by shell, Akpo operated by Total. i give you specifics to enable you to verify and make corrections when i am out of line.

FSO, means floating storage offloading, it has only storage capacity examples are; exxon owned Yoho, Addax (now Sinopec) owned Knocka doom and Total owned Unity.

it is not correct to say that FPSO does not produce oil, i agree with your transition analogy but in reality they are upstream.

You dont need to make the above comment if you read this part of my post

[color=#000099]I have already agreed to that position no need over emphasizing it

Lastly, the fact that Elec/Elec Engr'g is applicable in just about all of the sections of E&P makes the profession quite unique. You cannot be wrong if you chose to specialize in any of the fields. By the way, specialization often occur only in the final year, hence you will have the necessary basic in just about any of the specialties.

I don't see how this post is quintessential to the subject of discussion, i like issues to be treated concisely and succinctly.

The answer is simple, most old universities have their Alumni in these organization and by virtue of their age, they have produced people at the highest level who wield a reasonable level of influence in the organization.
By law, there is what is called local content capacity, so these big ogas recommend their Alma matter for R and D outsourcing and the organization releases community project development funding and counterpart research funding.

that is why you may see a Total or chevron classroom block or Lab in University of Ibadan but may not find it in ESUT, it is basically natural, but we are emphasizing on its influence as an employment criteria.

About the HRO's going to lecture in schools, well, there is no industry guidelines that stipulates that but under community development and social awareness, a HR, may decide to do that, but there is no industry guideline on which school to go to.

in well structured organizations the recruitment process is sacrosanct (citeris paribus), such influence is inconsequential, when you hear "equal opportunity employers" i hope you know what that means.

Chief,
I didn't know this happens to be an English tutoring class. I suppose each individual has got his own way of viewing issues and we need not resort to implied insults.
In any case, FPSOs are built mainly to store crude side by side while producing and do some bit of processing. You can drill and complete an offshore well without the need for an offshore platform nor the need for an FPSO. I was part of the team that drilled a good number of the wells in the fields you mentioned (Akpo - Total, Bonga - SnepCo, Erha - Exxon and some others). I repeat, and stand very much to be corrected, FPSOs are classified under the Midstream sector of the industry. The internet is awash with the right info if you care to learn more.

On the issue of old Unis, you are essentially saying the same thing I've said all along. Perhaps you should return back and read some of my previous posts.

The reason, I'm here is simply to share experience with the up-coming ones and not to engage in a shouting match with anyone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: wow!!! U rili killd it...am well exposd nw,I'll jus sit dwn n mak ma choic frm d options(pick one I av keen interst n pass4)....first fin shld b to finsh wt gud grades nw n kip learnin frm ma IT experience for nw...can I get sm certificatns b4 I finsh sku? Cs am finkin of doin sm HSE courses mayb in ma final year and also autocad 2d n 3d or autoplant or evn a projct mgt course...OR can u recomend any I cn tk?(Consider money tins too o bro)...u r funi sayin u r honord 2b ma mentor,I shld b sayin am honord for u to accept d offer(trust me I won't bombard u wt questns...lols)tnx 1c agn..

Adding certification courses to your profile will surely give you an edge. You can learn AutoCAD without spending a dime, besides the cost of paying for internet connection. You are still young and very energetic, as such you can still grab a couple of certifications while in School. The option of taking a Project Management Course sounds fine to me, as long as it won't cost you an arm and a leg. However, if you need to push yourself a bit harder, ensuring it does not jeopardize your results in School, pay little attention to the cost. You'll make multiple returns once you start working. Just ensure you have a sound focus on what you really want to achieve.

As per AutoCAD, you'll learn a lot if you make good use of YouTube, there are tonnes of excellent videos there. Although I'm a drilling professional, I spend my spare time on taking management courses (for my personal business); I'm fairly good at Microsoft Excel (learnt a lot from YouTube) and I often mesmerize my colleagues and bosses using the excel skills I learnt from YouTube. Obviously I still attend drilling training courses to keep myself abreast with new developments in the industry.

Overall, any additional training you can acquire beyond what you are being taught in school will certainly be of great use for you when the time comes. I do not want to start recommending drilling (or O&G) related courses for you now because they are generally not cheap and may not be needed if you decide not to get mixed up with the sector. However any general Engineering training will do just fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:
Earlier this year Total Invited 300 people for a scholarship (IFP France) aptitude test we didn't apply for.. on getting there we asked how me were selected and their HR manager told us that they went to their database and picked 2.1 and 1st class graduates from the top universities in Nigeria.. anyone that wrote that test can verify what i just said... No company will ever publish that in an advert, its more of an HR thing, and its not only happening in the oil sector

My brother you are certainly right. No HR department will publish in the dailies that they only recruit from certain Unis and not from others. It's during the selection process that those schools they consider not to be top notch are left out.

In my final year at school some of our lecturers specifically told us that some Oil majors (names withheld) wrote them that the standards of the graduates the school was churning out from the Faculty of Tech and the department of Geology were dropping. Of course na my set our lecturers take do experiment as we went through a very crazy final year in the school. How many Unis in Nigeria do you really think these companies will send such letters to?

1 Like 3 Shares

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 10:08am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

I agree with most of your post but the bold phrase needs to be fine tuned a little, in the upstream sector, there are a lot of power processes, i don't think there is a production platform, FSO, FPSO, Terminal in Nigeria that doesn't have a gas Turbine or Gas generator at the very least, please correct me if im wrong. i believe such dept do have elect guys, i like your choice of instrumentation but that lad isn't coming to the industry till the next 6 or 7yrs, so you should equally consider the future of the industry.

A lot of oil majors are divesting to gas im referring to these major projects in the industry;

Shell: AGG projects
Tepng/ENI: brass LNG projects
Chevron: EGTL projects
Exxon: AG re injection projects.

now, what are they seeing? they are seeing a future in liquified gas export and gas-power support.
i am not saying that instrumentation will die off neither am i insinuating that they wont need instrumentation engineers, i am only pointing out that there is a frame work that will create another super industry in power.
these Gas-power projects will create a lot of opportunities directly or indirectly with the oil industry. i foresee some power generating companies paying as much as the oil servicing companies, just like the telecom revolution, however, this power industry will be bigger than the telecoms industry.

great you did instrumentation, i like those guys.

As per the bold in your comment, FPSOs fall into the purview of a transition between the Upstream and Downstream sections, often referred to as midstream. Upstream essentially ends once the oil is on surface. Midstream takes over with surface storage and transport facilities. FPSOs are meant for storage, hence outside the upstream sector, but not necessarily in the downstream sector.

In layman terms, bringing crude from subsurface to surface: Upstream
At the surface, crude storage (with minimal processing to remove poisonous gasses) and raw crude transportation: Midstream
Crude processing and all refined output fall under Downstream.

I originally left out the midstream 'cos it's not as obvious as the other two.

I do see you point on the choice of specialty. However, you should take into cognizance that no gas or hydro turbine can operate without an instrumentation and control engineer. These are the guys who'll (again in simple terms) regulate and control the flow of fuel (gas or water) to your turbines. You cannot set up a hydro or gas power plant without them else there'll be disasters all over the place.

Lastly, the fact that Elec/Elec Engr'g is applicable in just about all of the sections of E&P makes the profession quite unique. You cannot be wrong if you chose to specialize in any of the fields. By the way, specialization often occur only in the final year, hence you will have the necessary basic in just about any of the specialties.

jp philips:

chief, i asked you to get in touch with HR to streamline that opinion of yours, have you done it? an MBa is not a first degree and we are talking about Nigeria not UK, do that and get back to us. the industry operate on standards and one of such that deals with structure of an organization recognized in the industry is ISO, if ISO does not stipulate that i don't see why we should form opinions based on that.
no doubt there are companies and organizations operating below standard doesn't mean that their disposition should form a benchmark for the industry.

I sighted examples in the UK not to spite Nigerian schools but to buttress my point. I'll give you another example, a certain multinational O&G Coy (they are also present in Nigeria); would always employ engineering grads (BSc Holders) from Heriot-Watt and Imperial College as international staffs straight out of school, but always place graduates (again BSc Holders) from Uni-Aberdeen and Robert-Gordon as local staffs.
You may not want to admit it, across the world and across just about every profession, the School you attend has some significant level of influence on where & when you'll secure a decent paying job. Nigeria is certainly not left out.

It's not the fault of the prospective students, it's just the fact of life we all have to live with.

An easy way to better understand my point is this: How come the multinationals don't organize job fairs in every University in Nigeria? How come there the HR departments of most of these oil giants consistently organize job fairs at specific schools in Nigeria on an annual basis?
Once you are able to get the answer to those questions you'll view the issue from my perspective.

As I stated earlier, it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. You may attend the best recognized Engineering School and still be a laggard.

1 Like 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: tnx 4ya contribution bro,its alws gud to look b4 one leaps and also prepare onesef for d task ahead aftr sku,dts y advice frm u experts in d field are very useful,am d electrical guy frm 1 of d fed univ of tech in d south west,presently on IT nw in a production company,bt I stl dnt knw wch option to go for wen I resum bk for ma final year out of d 3 option:Computer,Telecoms n Power..cs I'll lik to go into d E n P industry,luks lik I wil b graduatin wt a 2.1 God helpin me,jus strivin to finsh wt a 4. Above GP.So bro,as an Elect engr,I cn rili fit in in2 d drilling sectn,wht are d extra skills or certificatns dt mait b useful or place me ahead of ma peers? Tnx 4ya advice 1 agn(y.akindele@yahoo.com).I'll rily nid lots of advice frm u as a mentor

Virtually all the options in Elec/Elec Engineering (Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing) are applicable to the O&G industry. For ease of understanding, let's just assume E&P is a subset of the O&G industry. Hence O&G can be divided into two major components:
1. The E&Ps or Exploration and Production Companies (Oil Producing or Oil Majors such as Shell, Exxon, Agip, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ConOil, PanOcean, Addax, Nexen etc).
2. The Oil Field Services Companies (e.g. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, NOV - National Oilwell Varco, TransOcean, Saipem, KCA Deutag, Noble Drilling etc).

Similarly, the E&P sector can be broken down into 2 broad groups, the Upstream and the downstream.
Upstream represents the sector that handles everything about crude oil from beneath the surface of the earth through exploration phase, discovery, drilling and subsequently flowing the well to the surface.
Downstream refers to just about all the processing the oil will pass through once it gets to the surface until it gets into the tank of your car, or generator set (literarilly).

Abeg don't ask me why upstream has to do with below the ground and downstream above the ground, 'cos I know it defies logic.

Back to your question, on what option to specialize in out of Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing.
Power is most applicable to the downstream sector, e.g. when you have to work with turbines etc. However the other options are applicable to both upstream and downstream, albeit at varying degrees. I chose the Instrumentation & Control option while at Ife. Although this option is actually more applicable on surface (downstream) than subsurface (upstream), I started out with an Oil field services company as a Field Engineer and today, I'm working as a Drilling Professional where I have minimal interactions with any of the 4 or options listed above, besides using my mobile phone and other mobile devices (Telecoms); my office & home computers (Power & computing); and including some sub-surface and surface gauges (instrumentation & control) when I'm completing a well.

I'm honored to be your mentor, just don't ask me too much questions about Elec/Elec Engineering o grin grin!

1 Like 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:18am On Sep 18, 2013
Mr Calculus: need answers plz o

Go thru the thread someone answered the same question earlier.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:15am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

I think you need to speak with your guys at HR, to tell you more, so long as any school is accredited to offer a particular course, its inconsequential which uni he attended,.

what should bother him more is the course and grade, those school ish only come up when the dept is not accredited. as a matter of fact, under the directives of iSO being oil and gas industry standard, there is no guideline like name or brand of university.

those lies were sold by lecturers who have nothing to tell the students.
take your time and study ISO 9001 industry guidelines to find out more.

Chief,
The issue of "name or brand of University" is very much alive even if we don't want to recognize it. By the way, it's not peculiar to Nigeria alone nor the O&G industry alone. The same thing is obtainable in the UK, that I know for sure at least up until 5 year ago. It's like trying to compare an MBA grad from Lagos Business School with an NBA grad from Wharton/INSEAD/Harvard etc. In the UK, graduates from London Business School's MBA programs are more regarded than those from an Manchester Business school etc.

Does it mean that grads from these top schools are always better, ofcourse not. These are just the fact of life we sometimes have to accept. I used to work for a multinational in O&G firm in Nigeria, back then, only graduates from schools such as Ife, UniLag, ABU, UniBen, Nsuka, UI were employed as International staffs while graduates from other schools were employed as locals. The rule however did change in 2005.

Nonetheless it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. It's just that such prejudices still exist until this day.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:40pm On Sep 17, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz alot 4 dis tread i am in serious confusion right nw cos i got admitted in2 UNIBEN 2 study PETROLEUM ENGINEERING and would also b admitted in2 UNIZIK to study CHEMICAL ENGINEERING tru pre science. Pls which one should is reject and accept nw.. Jugdeing frm job opportunites and other aspects.....

Are both schools taking you on a pre-degree basis...? If the answer is Yes, I'd go to UniBen. If UniBen is offering you to start at 100 level, again UniBen is the way to go. Chemical Engineering may have a wider scope, it's not a guaranty that you'll get a job faster. In your case the name of the school matters. My limited knowledge of both schools is assuming that UniBen is rated higher. It's also likely ther are more Uniben grads working in the O&G industry in Nigeria when compared to UniZik. Having someone who graduated from from your former school on the inetrview panel will certainly boost your chances. Particularly when the choice remains between you and someone else from UniZik.

I no be UniBen grad o! In case some of you start making some wrong assumptions. Greatest Ife is my alma mater.

4 Likes 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
mic foley: Really great contributions on this thread. I have a lot of friends who read pet or chem engineering so I can relate to some stuff here. What really rankles me is how in a countryt hat crude oil accts for over 80% of its earnings, there are so many jobless petroleum/ chemical/ other engineers. Even a good number of those employed work in banks or other unrelated businesses. I just pray things improve now that Dangote and few others appear serious abt setting up huge refineries.

The O&G industry is open to virtually all engineering fields (at least the ones available in Nigeria). As big as you may assume the industry is, it'll be a miracle if up to 1000 applicants are employed annually in the O&G industry in Nigeria. Notice that I said "applicants". Most of these applicants would likely be Engineers. If 60% (or 600) of these happen to be engineers, then you can do the maths and imagine the rest. Some large schools in Nigeria turn out more than 300 engineers annually. I graduated along with almost 100 other Elec/Elec classmates about 15 years ago. There'll be likely more graduating from the same class today.

The reason you have lots of Engineers working in the banking sector is quite simple. Most bank employment screening tests are maths based. The average engineering graduate will more than likely score higher than his counterparts in the economics/accounting field. Sincewe typically put square pegs in round holes in Nigeria, it is only natural for you to find Engineers working as bankers. Afterall na money dem dey count for bank... wink wink!

1 Like 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
jp philips:

we dont have self trained mud engineers in Nigeria yet we have a lot of chem. graduates looking for jobs, very ironic.
As with just about every specialty in the O&G industry, there's barely any self trained professional. I'm not really aware that there are Mud Engineering degrees, however there are numerous mud schools where certification can be done. In fact there's supposed to be a Mud School at PTI, Efurun.

I'm not a Chemical Engineering degree holder, however I doubt if any of the Unis in Nigeria has a mud school attached to it's chemical engineering department.

Interestingly though, any smart Uni in Nigeria can actually set up a mud school which can be a subset of either the Chemical and/or Petroleum Engineering department. The respective department can at least make some decent profit by engaging in drilling fluids training courses. Afterall. it'll cost almost 10K USD (excluding tranport fare) to attend a month long drilling fluids training session in the US.
Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
I forgot to commend the guy who said you could attend a MUD school abroad and start earning good pay from the start. Based on my experience, he is absolutely right. I'd rather a young Nigerian graduate leaves school with a good result, then proceed to take professional courses in the O&G industry and then starts working as an entry level Engineer. The industry is currently booming and may remain so for some time to come.

Professional courses are much cheaper and less time consuming when compared to a full time MSc. I've seen lots of Mud Engineers who are working as Reservoir Engineers, Petroleum Engineers and Drilling Engineers in the industry. By the way, Mud Engineering is also lucrative. Highly experience Mud Engineers also earn in excess of $2k per day.

You can start out small and take part-time courses in Pet. Engr'g and other supposedly better paying areas of specialization in the industry.

2 Likes

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Apologies first. Someone asked about prospects for Electrical/Electronic Engineering in the O&G field. Unfortunately, I cannot refer back to quote him. If you want to join the E&P industry, the primary goal is for you to start out making a good grade first. I left Ife with honors in Elec/ELec engineering, joined a multinational service firm and worked my way up. Today, I and a few of my Elect/Elec classmates are working as Drilling or Consultant Drilling Engineers. Some companies refer to DEs as Well Engineers. The pay of course is awesome, ranging from $700 to Over $2500 daily depending on experience, knowledge, hardwork and luck.

If you happen to be lucky enough to secure a job, in the industry, regardless of your first degree (as long as it's science or Engineering related), it is more than likely that you'll be trained and retrained, even if you have a second degree.

I'll advice that the pay should not be your end goal for now, that will surely come with time. All you need to focus on is making good grades out of school and the sky will probably be your starting point.

For the person who asked about Environmental Engineering, you also stand a good chance. I used to have a colleague who worked in the wireline logging section of the Multinational I worked for. She had an MSc. in Env. Engrg from s UK Uni and got the job.

Once again, it's good results first if you have no godfather who'll spoon-feed you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Education / Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 11:59am On Sep 17, 2013
Nice thread. I'll add a few point though. If you have some engineering background, you will almost certainly be able to gain employment in the E&P (or Oil and Gas as most know it as) sector. My little advice for OP, go for Chemical as most have advised but more importantly ensure you graduate with a very good grade (2:1 and above) and you'll improve your chances of getting a job in the event that you do not have a Godfather...!

I know quite a number of Geologists who work as petroleum engineers today despite not having any organized institution certificate in Engineering. It take a good number of years of experience in the E&P sector and deep personal interest in what you want to end up being.

Best of luck to you OP.

1 Like

Politics / Re: Name One Sector President Jonathan Is Doing A Very Good Job by 9ijaMan: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
PapaBrowne: At the time of this post, there probably wasnt too much to show as the dividends hadnt started materialising.

But today, so many sectors to talk about from Aviation to Agriculture to Roads to Rails to Power to Job Creation and the list is just endless.
Companies are moving back to Nigeria from Ghana and choosing us above the rest of Africa. FDI of 8 Billion dollars last year.
This year is even much bigger with GE and a host of others joining the league.
Completion of power sector privatization. Dangote's refinery. Fertilzer plants worth $6 billion.
The list is just endless.
And we are beginning to experience critical mass. That means steam is generating. Imagine what next year would be like when the power companies start investing massively in the sector and the 10 NIPPs come on stream. And all the roads under construction get completed.

Are you sure your response refers to GEJ and Nigeria? Abi u dey live on another planet?
Properties / Re: SOLAR POWERED AUTOMATIC GATE WITH GSM ACCESS CONTROL by 9ijaMan: 2:15pm On Sep 03, 2013
Please send me the price details.
n9ijaman@gmail.com
Properties / Re: Architectural Designs For Nairalanders Who Want To Build by 9ijaMan: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
@ihebrooke,
You surely need to be commended for the good job you've done so far on this thread. After going through a few threads, I guess I may have to bring my " business" to you. Kindly leave your updated (if any) contact details (phone numbers to be precise) as well as email addy. We have a few things to discuss.

Keep up the good work.

9ijaman....!
Politics / Re: Muhammadu Buhari by 9ijaMan: 10:29am On Jun 11, 2013
9ijaMan:
How many sane Nigerians complained to you that they have issues with cleaning their environment, even if ordained by the government. Your line of thought is warped, 'cos till date states across the nation still engage in the same practice even after almost 12 years of demoCRAZY! Since you have chosen to leave in a completely different galaxy, be my guest, as I believe there are smarter guys out there in the real world who still laud this concept.

How a monthly sanitation exercise has now become slavery in you jaundiced view is befuddling. And since you've just insinuated that you don't pay tax to the government, why not just shut it and let those who pay tax continue to slave one day every month to clean their environment.

Clearly your Johnny B. Goodluck has brought you some luck now...! I dey laugh o!
Politics / Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by 9ijaMan: 9:40pm On Jan 06, 2012
Mr DaLover,
I'm still waiting for you to translate what Alj Harem wrote below o! If you cannot translate your language o English, then you should simply keep mute and let those who care about the future of our great nation do their work without distractions from people like you who have no home.

alj harem:

Ajami mo kin aghan. Ale ti Warri tatuwatse. Urhobo! Ovovo, Urhobomena !, ovorvo, aurhobo, aisi, mitatomana, wakweroye, oromurimizurami o, oromurorojeramioo, oromurivieramio,  isiagwari ooo!

You are Isoko right !

Please tranlate

moreover what water in isoko

what is child in isoko thanks

What that said

Now I am done explaining this protest to u and your likes, Since you want to tribalist it as usual I leave you to it

Now please translate my comment above and meaning of water and child in Isoko. thanks

Alj Harem,
Thanks for putting him in his place.
Politics / Nlc Press Statement by 9ijaMan: 9:29pm On Jan 06, 2012
NIGERIANS SHOULD IGNORE ANY BLACK MARKET INJUNCTION

There are rumours circulating that the desperate Jonathan administration has purchased a black market injunction possibly from the National Industrial Court (NIC). The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) is not aware of any such injunction, we were not served any paper of court appearance, we were not present in court nor were we represented in any capacity. Also, the NLC was not served any court summons nor were we served any court order.

The cretins in the Jonathan administration imagine that by seeking to drag the judiciary in the mud, they can avert the general strikes, rallies and mass protests that will begin on Monday 9th January, 2012. They cannot make the simple analysis that the whole populace is angry and that Nigerians do not need any group to ask them to protest an evil policy that seeks to impoverish them.

The NLC asks Nigerians to ignore this childish ploy and rumour; there is no going back on next week’s protests and shutdown.

The issue of the strikes, protests and against an obnoxious policy, is not and industrial relations one; it is not between an employer and an employee. Rather it is one between the Nigerian People versus the Jonathan Government.

So if the issue was taken before the National Industrial Court, then it is the wrong place to shop for a black market injunction. To obtain an injunction from a court that has no competent jurisdiction is to try playing ping pong with the judiciary.

Labour reiterates that the constitutional and fundamental right of Nigerians to protest cannot be annulled.

The NLC asks Nigerians to ignore such rumours; the strikes, mass rallies and protests will go on as scheduled. The NLC advises the Jonathan administration to listen to the people or face their justifiable wrath.

Owei Lakemfa

Acting General Secretary
Politics / Re: Nigerians Ready To Withdraw Their Mandate From Jonathan – SNG. by 9ijaMan: 9:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
^^^Egypt, Tunisia and Libya still fresh in our memories o! Those are examples of mandate withdrawals.
Politics / Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by 9ijaMan: 4:26pm On Jan 05, 2012
Donalds N:

I've meticulously read all the post here, but none of u have mentioned d palliatives rolled out by FG yday. FYI, FG has ordered immediate importation of 1600 units of 50-and-above-sitter diesel engine busses to be deployed to d whole federation b4 monday. Accordin to Labran Makau, d 1600 units are just 4a start,d importation will continue until d effects of d subsidy removal are minimised 2d barest on d transportation sector. Again contractors have been paid to go back and finish their on going projects and so many more coming. Lets give them a chance. If dia should be any protest, it should be 4d trial of past and present corrupt leaders and also demand dat political office holders recieve a massive pay cut like in singapore, and not 4subsidy cos it has come to stay. Listen 2d voice of reason without sentiment and know dis govt means well and will do well. Wat would u have done if finally u wia assured subsidy will be removed by april, if not hoarding dat wl lead to scarcity? Listen well, think well, analyse well

In your own wisdom you really think 1,600 buses will convey 150million people? No wonder the government thinks all Nigerians are morons, !
Politics / Re: Another Occupy Nigeria Protester Killed In Gasau, Zamfara? by 9ijaMan: 4:20pm On Jan 05, 2012
soma042:

me i dont giv d bleep abt the so called subsidy remover my concern is to use these period to deleat the evil one among us    

e.g  
buhary
obj
atiko
ibb
                    u can help me to fill the rest  

GEJ
Sambo
Iweala
Allison Deziani
Sanusi (he's now joined them),
Labaran Maku
David Mark
Politics / Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by 9ijaMan: 2:25pm On Jan 05, 2012
Akintola11:

This is very obvious!! we are going through a real tough time, where many will try and disrupt the situation, We must stay strong and pray for Nigeria,

What Nigeria needs is the removal!! how will we grow and industrialize if we carry on this mass payment that in all honesty only helps the upper class, smugglers and all those who only care for their pocket!

a good article worth reading!-------> www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-subsidy-withdrawn

Stop feed us with horsesh!t. Nigerian now stands shoulder to shoulder with the Americans in the pump price of fuel. Ask yourself if your salary is up to 10% of an equivalent American. Abeg wake up from your disillusionment!
Politics / Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by 9ijaMan: 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2012
Cheap propaganda as this will no longer work. GEJ and his cohorts must be thinking all Nigerians are as dumb and moronic as the likes of Beaf et al on NL. These foolish people in government will not seize to amaze me. Enevn my 6 years old child laughed after I explained the story to him.
Politics / Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala & Sahara Reporters: Phone Recording by 9ijaMan: 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2012
She should have conversed with and taken advice from Beaf before picking the phone, !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 64 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.