Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving (26630 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Picture Of Ribadu And Jonathan? / Just 8 Years Out Of Power-is That Governor Nnamani? / The Nigerian Police Force Is Improving. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by xcabinet: 4:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
Don't get too excited, if you had been in nigeria for the past 10 years or so you would have notice improvement in power supply every rainy season. This is due to increase in water level at both kainji and shiroro dams, do not be decieved no wonder the increase in tarrif was effected at this period its all a deception

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by najoke: 4:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
debosky: To be fair, the BPE appears serious about its attempt togetthe power industry runningas demonstrated by the appointment of Manitoba Hydro to run the transmissions company (TCN) on a management contract. Being a competent power operator itself, I hope Manitoba Hydro will be able to bring its experience to bear and improve the transmission segment of the power industry.
Any country-wide improvements in power supply are usually due to either improved generation from the hydro-electric stations or improved gas supply to the generation stations. Local power supply in any area tends to fluctuate from month to month so it's not reliable to draw a conclusion from a local, momentary improvement.

ayox2003:
You're intelligent. Best comment so far.
Frawzey

Agreed......Definatly the Best comment

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by GboyegaD(m): 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2012
Deceits upon deceits. Today you hear light has improved and the next week you hear it has really deteriorated. Who is the fool in this case? Ech time NEPA wants to bring the bills for meters which were never read, they give you light for 3-5days and the next thing I hear is great improvement. Anyways, if that is what we call improvement, success to NEPA and those who now have light.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by bashr8: 4:50pm On Jul 30, 2012
edicolove: Now its getting clearer who the 40 man laptop really is. I said it the other day that El Rufai setup an Internet squad and quickly went on the Internet to announce that GEJ had set one up. Why would anyone want to discredit what so many are saying from all over Nigeria. Why are they attacking with such venom and fierceness? Is it because they really love Nigeria? GEJ is far from getting there and we can only pray he gets there for the benefit of us all. But the way some try to bring down the whole system is becoming really irritating. Only a paid propaganga squad act this way.
my brother the thing tire me oo , i only stated that their improvement in my areas and people are saying their own situation yet this people are soo angry and bitter , i dont even know what their problem is. thank God this is an annonimous forum they for don kill person.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
in my area here in kano the light has improved for almost a month now oooo over 18 hrs daily. on like my fellow Niaralanders i pray that things continue to improve so that my business can continue being profitable oooo, i pray that God give GEJ to continue the good work
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by agabaI23(m): 4:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What does POWER IS IMPROVING? mean? I can dig into the Nairaland archives, from as far back as 2010 to pull up threads such as this one for you. Of course people will FEEL that power is improving when they have more hours of electricity per day, however when you consider the facts, even an eejit will pause to rethink the statement that power is improving.

How can you see improvement when in fact you are being told by your Goverment that in reality there has been a decrease in power output during the same period you claim there has been an improvement? We are talking a fall or more than 1000MW in production in the last 6 months, and you are here telling me that it is an improvement, over what?

I know this is nothing but an opinion but when your opinion goes against the facts, do you cling still to it or do you look for more solid rationale, like religion for why you should cling to it?
There were two power problems
1. Inadequate generation
2. Grossly inadequate transmission.

If onë above improves without 2 as we had in the past, the end users will not feel the effect. However if 2 improves while one goes down, the endusers will feel that power has improved if amount of depreciation in generation is less than or equal to the amount generated at time zero that was not distributed.

We all know much of the 3900MW were not transmitted, so the premises upon which you base your cynism is flawed.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Rossikk(m): 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

How can there be improvement when the Government has specifically informed you that there have been no improvements made in the area? Are you in the business of contradictions or something?

You're a fu.ckking LIAR. Show us the LINK where you claim govt said this. Stup.id ashewo. So now you take alleged govt declarations seriously because it is negative? When the same govt declares power (or anything else) has improved do you accept it? Fuccking ID.IOT.

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by IleIfe2(m): 4:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
Frank-C:
Some critics seem just to be comfortable with things going worse, not better. They express deep hurt at any news of improving society and the energy that they will launch to tell you that it is not real or it is not sustainable is so strong that you start feeling that this whole criticism thing is not about getting us all a better society.

Here are folks telling somebody not to use the improvements he has observed in his environment to judge the government efforts but they are comfortable using the perceived lack of the same thing IN THEIR PROXIMITY to judge the administration. No! this is not about getting us a better society, it is about validating some inner conviction that things can never be better!!! But the bad news is that it does not affect reality at all!!!

Gbayi!!!
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by najoke: 5:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
GboyegaD: Deceits upon deceits. Today you hear light has improved and the next week you hear it has really deteriorated. Who is the fool in this case? Ech time NEPA wants to bring the bills for meters which were never read, they give you light for 3-5days and the next thing I hear is great improvement. Anyways, if that is what we call improvement, success to NEPA and those who now have light.

Gbam.....u have just summarised our PHCN perfectly

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 5:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
deshclones:

pick up your phone and call home to confirm..not yapping like a de-ment-ed dog....you base your facts on what you read online...we are talking from experience ala practical you are yarning from theoretical ala newspaper point of view..who is wise here??

[size=18pt]What i chose to call Hard Empirical evidence
[/size]
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by edicolove: 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
Rossikk:

You're a fu.ckking LIAR. Show us the LINK where you claim govt said this. Stup.id ashewo. So now you take alleged govt declarations seriously because it is negative? When the same govt declares power has improved do you accept it? Fuccking ID.IOT.

Gbam! Suddenly government statement has become reliable and truth that Kobojunkie can rely on and die for! Hypocrisy has got to be the worst thing in the world!

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
agabaI23: There were two power problems
1. Inadequate generation
2. Grossly inadequate transmission.

OMG . . I didn't even know this.?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

[size=14pt]How can electricity in the country have improved when

a) Transmission problems have yet to be tackled

b) Generation has fallen back down over the last couple of months. It is estimated to be about 2700MW on average per day, today.How can that be an improvement from more than 3900MW we were told of about December of last year
[/size]

na juju undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

If you want to tell us that power supply has improved in your tiny are of your state, go right ahead and do that BUT when you want to speak of Power at the National level, at least visit the facts rather than sound like another of the many empty brains out there who feel that as long as they have electricity in their home, all is well in NIGERIA.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Litmus: 5:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
Frank-C:
Some critics seem just to be comfortable with things going worse, not better. They express deep hurt at any news of improving society and the energy that they will launch to tell you that it is not real or it is not sustainable is so strong that you start feeling that this whole criticism thing is not about getting us all a better society.

Many Nigeria critics were never about wanting things to improve for Nigerians, they were and are about things falling apart. Such people will commit sufficed if things improve and 2015 slips by and Nigerians went about their business...

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 5:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
Frank-C:

Here are folks telling somebody not to use the improvements he has observed in his environment to judge the government efforts but they are comfortable using the perceived lack of the same thing IN THEIR PROXIMITY to judge the administration. No! this is not about getting us a better society, it is about validating some inner conviction that things can never be better!!! But the bad news is that it does not affect reality at all!!!

Best post so far . . . . grin
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by edicolove: 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
GboyegaD: Deceits upon deceits. Today you hear light has improved and the next week you hear it has really deteriorated. Who is the fool in this case? Ech time NEPA wants to bring the bills for meters which were never read, they give you light for 3-5days and the next thing I hear is great improvement. Anyways, if that is what we call improvement, success to NEPA and those who now have light.

How on earth did you miss the part where many said it has been on for months? And you even forgot many of these people don't pay monthly bill anymore? Many of them are on pay as you go remember? We have serious witchcraft spirit in Nigeria.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by deshclones(m): 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
chucky234: For a president who
receives N1bn annually as food
allowance he certainly has no
excuse to why he cannot achieve
anything meaningful in 24 months.

I am waiting for the deluded
GEJ agents to prove the below wrong
and tell me why the most
expensive govt in the world should
be applauded by mere maintenace
projects which 50% was initiated
by past administrations and mere generation of less than 1000MW of electricity in 24 months.

EARNING CHAT:
In the United States, while the
minimum wage is $1,257 (N191,
667), a US lawmaker earns $
15,080 (N2.3m) per month. In the
United Kingdom, a lawmaker earns
$8,686(N1.3m) monthly while the
gross national minimum wage is $
1,883 (N283, 333) per month.
Also, Nigerian lawmakers earn
higher than their counterparts in Sweden. With a monthly pay of $7,707 (N1.2m), a lawmaker in
Sweden will need to work for over
12 years to equal what a Nigerian senator earn per annum.
The president of the United States
takes home an anual salary of $400,000 (N64.156,0m), including a
$50,000 expense allowance making
the president the highest paid
public servant in the US. The $400,000 includes everything and $350,000 out of it is taxable.
Selected States (salary per annum)
The prime minister of the United
Kingdom......USD 226,627.00
French
president.....................USD318,072.00
South African
president...................USD296,112.00
German
chancellor.......................USD296,112.00
The Prime Minister of
Belgium...................USD174,804.00
President of the Republic of
Korea.................USD 136,669.00
President of
Russia......................USD122,652.00
Prime Minister
Portugal......................USD129,730.00
Prime Minister
Namibia....................USD115,155.00
President of
Angola......................USD60,000.00
President
Argentina.................USD55,139.00
Prime Minister
Ukraine........................USD61,254.00
President
Zimbabwe....................USD18,000.00
President of People's republic of
China...........USD 10,633.00
President
Liberia.........................US90,000.00
Prime Minister
Spain .......................USD102,960.00
Prime Minister
Namibia......................USD115,155.00
President
Namibia.....................US164,506.00
President of
Colombia ......................USD120,685.00
Prime Minister of the
Netherlands.................USD190,740.00
Prime Minister
Ireland..................USD264,000.00
Prime Minister
Denmark...................USD264,533.00
President
Mexico..................USD328,839.00
USD328,839.00 .....................USD427,886.00
President Austria..................USD422,231.00
President of the European
Council................USD 508,916.00

NIGERIAN SENATORS
Basic Salary (BS) = N2,484,245.50
Hardship Allowanc: 50% of Basic
Salary = N1,242,122.75
Constituency allowance: 200% of
BS = N4,968,509.00
Furniture Allowance: 300% of BS =
N7,452,736.50
Newspaper allowance: 50% =
N1,242,122.70
Wardrobe allowance: 25% =
N621,061.37
Recess Allowance: 10% =
N248,424.55
Accommodation: 200% =
N4,968,509.00
Utilities: 30% = N828,081.83
Domestic Staff: 35% =
N863,184.12
Entertainment: 30% =
N828,081.83
Personal Assistance: 25% =
N621,061.37
Vehicle Maintenance Allowance:
75% = N1,863,184.12
Leave Allowance : 10%
=N248,424.55
One off payments (Severance
gratuity): 300% = N7,452,736.50
Motor Vehicle Allowance: 400% of
BS = N9,936,982.00
Total per month = N29, 479,749.00
A senator's anual salary = over
N182 million multiply by 109 senators (don't forget the House of rep,
ministers, ambassadors, ...) In addition to the regular and legitimate salaries and allowances of over N17 million ($113,333) and N14.99 million ($99,933) which senators and reps were collecting yearly and the irregular allowance of estacodes, duty tours etc, they were also collecting over N192m ($1.28m) and N140m ($0.93m) respectively in illicit quarterly allocation which is not provided for by RMAFC.
Effectively, a Nigerian senator was
taking home at least $1.40m ($
1.28m quarterly allocations + $0.113m regular salaries and allowances) as against the $0.174m an American senator takes home hence a Nigeria senator earns at least 8 times as much as an American senator and more than 3 times the American president.
Whereas a Senator in the U.S earns
N21, 146,000, the same as a
member of the House of Representatives; a UK Member of Parliament earn  £64,766 (N14, 896,180) In other words, a Federal Legislator in Nigeria is paid more than double what a Member of British Parliament earns per annum. Senate President David Mark alone takes N250 million quarterly or N83.33 million per month.
Senate Deputy President Ike
Ekweremadu gets N150 million per
quarter or N50 million a month.
Mark and Ekweremadu earns in 4
months, six times what the UK
Prime Minister earns in a year.
David Cameron goes home with Â
£190,000 per anum (N43,700,000) In a newspaper news article entitled ‘An Assembly for looting’ written by Musikilu Mojeed with Elor Nkereuwem, the authors rightly claimed that each of the 360 members of the House of
Representatives were getting N35
million in cash money in quarterly
allocation while each of the 109
Senators pockets N48 million each.
These allocations have however
been slashed by 20% to N27 million ($180,000) and N38 million ($253,333) respectively due to the 20% reduction requested by the late president.

and what have you m0r0n done about it??..if e dey vex you go contest in 2015...all you do is rant behind a computer..in the comfort of your home...thats the problem with most nigerians..all they do is talk..no action..if they say everybody should come out to protest tomorrow in aso rock..nobody will come out..nobody wants to die but they all want to go to heaven..i get sick when i see people like you posting rubbish about elected officials and legislooters yet you cannot do anything about it...phoolish set of people..no wonder we have the type of govt we deserve...get out of my sight...you irritate me.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by 1800bc(f): 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
Man is insatiable....whether e improve or not...naija must look for something to complain about...no be today e start. it started from the days of isrealites in the wilderness. shocked
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by maybel(m): 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2012
gossips:

Hmm!
A very selfish view point!
Who really is your neighbour here? The man who shares same block or neighbourhood with you? That certainly is a restricted way of looking at it, don't you think?

Anyway, my view about this whole power-improvement matter is that you don't judge with what happens in your tiny area which doesn't make up to 1/1,000,000 of areas in Naija.
I just liken to the kind of prayer I hear some Nigerian Christians say. that, even if fuel were to go for a 1000naira per litre, it won't matter to them as long as they can afford it. That I consider to be selfishness at its peak and shouldn't be displayed or even condoned by anyone.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by onthefence: 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2012
Trust me, I am not sure anybody dislikes GEJ policies more than me but on this electricity issue, it has TREMENDOUSLY improved in my area in Benin. I have had power for upwards of 48 hours non stop. GEJ is getting right on this one.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Rossikk(m): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
edicolove:

Gbam! Suddenly government statement has become reliable and truth that Kobojunkie can rely on and die for! Hypocrisy has got to be the worst thing in the world!

The annoying thing is that she thinks we are all stu.pid and cannot notice her hyprocrisy and blatant double standards. She has ZERO credibility on this forum.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by otokx(m): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
Update from the UNIPORT area for today 30th July 2012

Electricity came by 5am and went by 7am, it came again about 10am and went by midday. The time is 5pm now and we have not seen electricity since then and there is fuel scarcity.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by agabaI23(m): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
To add to what I said above, new transmission lines are being erected.

Anyone who left Umuahia before 2 months will be surprised if hë goes back. Why? New 132kva line from Aba
completed few months ago has changed the power situation there. Not completely ok but it has been better. Another is running from PH through Mbaise. Another from Calabar or so. Go verify. Pls lets be positive for once.

Someone talked about rainy season, I stand to say that this testimony started in october through January till April the peak of dry season before there was leakage in Kainji.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Ozichim(m): 5:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
Hello all, I want to make complain here. It is true that light has improved in my area, but I still feel marginalized. My area is Obigbo Portharcourt rivers state, Obigbo is very close to Afam gas power generation "one of the biggest plant in the country”. Obigbo has so many live oil wells. Do you know that many areas in Obigbo doesn’t have light because PHCN don't want to put Electric pole there they want the inhabitants to pay them the money and again Rivers state Govt don't want to hear anything Obigbo development. Other areas around Afam are having 24hrs7 power, So why won't Obigbo be part of it.

Any PHCN staff in the forum should please tell PHC to correct the anomaly in this area. However we commend them for the improvement we have witnessed so far.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by blank(f): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
I didn't have light in my area of Lekki for a month. They just restored it and it is never there during the day so I have to run my gen for my son.

Maybe, they have taken my light and given to you. undecidedI
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by gregg2: 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
Power has improved.
Nigeria is working.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
onthefence: Trust me, I am not sure anybody dislikes GEJ policies more than me but on this electricity issue, it has TREMENDOUSLY improved in my area in Benin. I have had power for upwards of 48 hours non stop. GEJ is getting right on this one.

I don't dislike his policies. Matter of fact, I don't do DISLIKE OR LIKE when it comes to Government. I look for the facts and state them as I find them.

Goodluck Jonathan says power has not improved . . why is he right and you also right for saying that power has improved? Contradiction?
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by proudly9ja(m): 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
lool...Nigerians never learn. This is the same thing we discuss same period every year.

Its normal to have 'improved' power supply at around this time of the year. Come back towards the end of the year/early next year and let's discuss this topic again.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
proudly9ja: lool...Nigerians never learn. This is the same thing we discuss same period every year.

Its normal to have 'improved' power supply at around this time of the year. Come back towards the end of the year/early next year and let's discuss this topic again.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now that I see how these threads go year after year. It is probably best to create one of these every month and compare the reports from each individual with the following months. That way we can probably provide them a visual map of the trends in their areas compared to the National Daily generation/output.

@Seun of Nairaland, can we make this happen?

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by occam(m): 5:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
It's very amusing that based on unverifiable anecdotal reports we should accept power supply is "improving". And already the protagonists are lining up to trumpet their case: If you don't believe you're GEJ hater; if you do you're drunk on GEJ's koolaid. This is the level of discourse on such a key national issue? People aren't asking the right questions but just love to debate.

For over 40 yrs (or more) Nigeria has never enjoyed consistent power supply. FACT. Perhaps 2012 is the year of destiny for this nation; in that case I'll give my own testimony too.

Can't we wait for verifiable report from this govt that shows measurable progress? For instance that 70% of households and 60% of businesses across the country now have 24 hrs uninterrupted power supply at end of 2012. Now that is something to discuss about. So by end of 2013 we should expect a vast improvement in industrial output. Till then, its rational to wait and see and even be skeptical about any perceived "improvement".

Getting overly excited about frozen ice cubes in your fridge is only tit tat for kindergarten minds.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by agabaI23(m): 5:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

OMG . . I didn't even know this.?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Read the entire post again. I posted before completion.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
This kobojunkie of a woman shamefully made to lose her account. You need serious help and we would oblige if you ask for one. You must be a very skinny-ugly witch that was cast out from your village. What we Nigerians want from PHCN was light, and we are having it. Go and die if you are not happy that we are enjoying light! We are not the cause of your problem and frustration. If the Allafrican articule you have been busy posting stated that 4,000mgwt was available and will soon climb up to 5,000mgwt in few months, and I think 10,000 next year. But you ignored it to dish out half truth. I'm have been enjoing 20-22hr of electricity where I reside. The same thing from other places, including my state, where I traveled to recently. We will also come back here to register our displasure should we notice any decline in power supply. I went to church yesterday and I prayed for you.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
agabaI23: Read the entire post again. I posted before completion.

Spare me the useless information. As if somehow your wuru-wuru logic there NEGATES what is published of the current situation in the area of power generation and transmission as of yesterday.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Jonathan Campaigns In Gombe (Photos) / Supporters Wave At Abba K Yusuf, PDP Kano Candidate On His Way To Bebeji / Scarcity Of Beef, Tomatoes, Onions Loom In Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.