Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (879569 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Abidex114(f): 9:06pm On Jun 03, 2015
omicron:
Not enough to panick...yet.
Relax.
You may do hormone profile if you have not done so.
But relax while you do these things.
All the best.
Thanks So Much. But What Do You Mean By Hormone Profile?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:10pm On Jun 03, 2015
Abidex114:

Thanks So Much. But What Do You Mean By Hormone Profile?
Welcome

Hormone Profile here is a blood test to measure your reproductive hormones.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Abidex114(f): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2015
omicron:
Welcome

Hormone Profile here is a blood test to measure your reproductive hormones.
Okay. Which One Should I Do First, Hormone Profile Or Ultrasound Track? Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2015
Abidex114:

Okay. Which One Should I Do First, Hormone Profile Or Ultrasound Track? Thanks
Anyone. They are just to calm your nerves, not that something is already wrong.

Do them at your leisure. No pressures.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Abidex114(f): 9:29pm On Jun 03, 2015
omicron:
Anyone. They are just to calm your nerves, not that something is already wrong.

Do them at your lesisure. No pressures.
Thanks So Much, I Really Appreciate. I Will Feed You Back. Can I Get Your Email? Here Is Mine: Mabinuorikhadijatkemi@gmail.com
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:32pm On Jun 03, 2015
Abidex114:

Thanks So Much, I Really Appreciate. I Will Feed You Back. Can I Get Your Email?
welcome

You may PM me.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by lassbaby(f): 11:12pm On Jun 03, 2015
omicron:
Yes, they are safe.
OK. thanks. I mean to say my baby is 3 months
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by yettielicious(f): 9:01am On Jun 04, 2015
Hi doc am 23yrs.. My menstration seize from august 2014 nd I went to see a doc at november which he suggest that I should do an ultrasound..d doctor said I had an ovarian cyst nd I was on cefuroxime iv for 3days nd augumentin625 for 7days wit gent iv...after d dosage I saw my menses at december ,d it came for four days after which I stop seeing it..I went back to d hospital which d doctor said I should repeate d augmentin which I did nd I never saw my menses till march10 nd since march I avent seen my menses nd I had an unpprotected sex which does not result to any pregnancy... Please I really need ur advice on this problem...God bless
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 04, 2015
yettielicious:
Hi doc am 23yrs.. My menstration seize from august 2014 nd I went to see a doc at november which he suggest that I should do an ultrasound..d doctor said I had an ovarian cyst nd I was on cefuroxime iv for 3days nd augumentin625 for 7days wit gent iv...after d dosage I saw my menses at december ,d it came for four days after which I stop seeing it..I went back to d hospital which d doctor said I should repeate d augmentin which I did nd I never saw my menses till march10 nd since march I avent seen my menses nd I had an unpprotected sex which does not result to any pregnancy... Please I really need ur advice on this problem...God bless

Madam,

What led to the use of these antbiotics? Was it that you were diagnosed of an ovarian cyst and the drugs were prescribed or you had any sort of condition,infection or whatever?

Did he discus with you the degree of magnitude or dimension of your ovarian cyst?

To the best of my knowledge,using antibiotics for cases of ovarian cyst is out of specifity if infection or microbial irritation is not involve.Nevertheless,if it has been helpful,then you have been having a good use of it side-effects.

Madam,we will advise that you do a hormone profiling of your reproductive hormones or get any of these ovulatory phase trackers for ovulation-all is to confirm if you have a serious problem with anovulation(no ovulation).Secondly,doing some test to confirm an assymptomatic PID or UTI should be handful.
Have you done other test concern with diagnosing PID or UTI?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by biihem(f): 9:51am On Jun 04, 2015
omicron:
Absence of menstruation is one of various menstrual side effects of implanon. It is a side effect of the hormone, so it is not a disorder.
If you are not comfortable with it (ie, the absence of menses), you may get it removed and consider a different contraceptive. It will normalise if the implanon removed.
You should do a PT to make sure you are not pregnant though.
All the best.
OK I will do that. thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by lollyrekiat(f): 12:23pm On Jun 04, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

The various tests you did, did any of them suggest a cause for your lack of menstruation?

You may take another OCP for the second month.
hello, yes dts y adhesiolysis was done, and more dan a month d surgery was performed but ve not yet seen my menstruation.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 04, 2015
CharmyBliz:

Thanks doc
Pls my husband will be in da contry by month end, wat kind of family planing shud I be on. I don't wanna b pregnant till my baby is 2yr.

Madam.

The kind of family planning contraceptive or pill(s) to use by you should be a debate between you and your physical doctor.Much as i know we have different planning pills and devices,it will be unfair to write you off on a particular one for no just cause.Your preference usually falls on three causality-utility(satisfaction),comfortability and long/short-term side-effect.These issue should be discuss before any use of contraception whether on long or short time bases.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by adelurv(f): 12:55pm On Jun 04, 2015
[quote author=yettielicious post=34412016]Hi doc am 23yrs.. My menstration seize from august 2014 nd I went to see a doc at november which he suggest that I should do an ultrasound..d doctor said I had an ovarian cyst nd I was on cefuroxime iv for 3days nd augumentin625 for 7days wit gent iv...after d dosage I saw my menses at december ,d it came for four days after which I stop seeing it..

Please can we talk? I think we have similar issues.. PM me or maybe whatsapp will do. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 04, 2015
lollyrekiat:
hello, yes dts y adhesiolysis was done, and more dan a month d surgery was performed but ve not yet seen my menstruation.

Madam.

Location where adhesiolysis was performed?

Was it uterine? Or para-uterine? Or simply,adhesion removal or lifting between a unilateral ovary and the appendix?

Time,it was performed?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by freakingout(f): 10:45pm On Jun 04, 2015
Good evening Doctor omicron. How is everything? I mailed you but I guess you didn't receive it. Please help me with the interpretation of my test results.

I did a pelvic scan to check for PID and swab HV/ECS to check for PID also.

PELVIC USS
The uterus is normal in size. It measures 4.cm in its widest Ap diameter. It shows hypoechoric myometrium with intact endometrial plates. Both adnexae and POD are intact.
IMPRESSION:- ? PID

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- numerous
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

1 raised to the power of zero Gram or 1 degree. (HVS)
I couldn't really read what was written but epithelial cells was many while pus cells, yeast cells, gram negative, gram positive had something like h in a circle or + or p. I don't really understand the handwriting while others is nil.

The same result for the 1 raised to the power of zero (ECS)

HVS/ECS culture
Yielded no growth after 48 hours of incubation.

Do the results mean I have PID? If yes, please what's the cure. I also have to do prolactin, progesterone and estradiol on cd21.

Thanks in advance for your response. God bless you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:
. Please help me with the interpretation of my test results.

PELVIC USS
The uterus is normal in size. It measures 4.cm in its widest Ap diameter. It shows hypoechoric myometrium with intact endometrial plates. Both adnexae and POD are intact.

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

I couldn't really read what was written but epithelial cells was many while pus cells, yeast cells, gram negative, gram positive had something like h in a circle or + or p. I don't really understand the handwriting while others is nil.

HVS/ECS culture

Do the results mean I have PID? If yes, please what's the cure. I also have to do prolactin, progesterone and estradiol on cd21.

The implication was that there wasn't any growth on 48hours of culturing.This means,you don't have a PID.

On the stake of plentiness of epithelial cells,such an increase could both be functional or mildly irritating.Functional in the sense that organs can remove upper membranes that have slurred all over.Irritating in the sense that microbe can also be involved.It is baseless to say you have this or that with just the epithelium.For that of the pus cells and yeast-normal.

You may do another test to confirm impression.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anitank(f): 5:47am On Jun 05, 2015
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:23am On Jun 05, 2015
lassbaby:
OK. thanks. I mean to say my baby is 3 months
Ok. Still, no problem.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:34am On Jun 05, 2015
CharmyBliz:

Thanks doc
Pls my husband will be in da contry by month end, wat kind of family planing shud I be on. I don't wanna b pregnant till my baby is 2yr.
Ok.

Like LuckyG1 already implied, choice of contraceptive ultimately depends on you.

Your doctor will counsel you adequately and be your guide while you make this choice.

Choosing a contraceptive depends on many parameters, including your present and past medical and surgical history, as well as your family's medical history.

It also depends on the duration you want the contraception. The injectables lasts 2 to 3 months, implanon about 3 years, while Intrauterine device (IUCD, also informally called "Coil", or "Copper T" lasts beyond 5 years.

You will also consider their side effects. All drugs have side effects, but some cause more intolerable effects. All contraceptives can affect your period in any way possible. Implanon, notably, causes more weight gain.

So, it is ultimately your choice. Your doctor will only counsel and guide you appropriately.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:43am On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:
Good evening Doctor omicron. How is everything? I mailed you but I guess you didn't receive it. Please help me with the interpretation of my test results.

PELVIC USS

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

HVS/ECS culture

Hi,

I did not see the mail.

The scan you did is essentially a normal scan. There is not enough evidence to suggest a PID.

The HVS/ECS M/C/S also has no evidence of a PID.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by freakingout(f): 7:50am On Jun 05, 2015
LuckyG1:

The implication was that there wasn't any growth on 48hours of culturing.This means,you don't have a PID.

On the stake of plentiness of epithelial cells,such an increase could both be functional or mildly irritating.Functional in the sense that organs can remove upper membranes that have slurred all over.Irritating in the sense that microbe can also be involved.It is baseless to say you have this or that with just the epithelium.For that of the pus cells and yeast-normal.

You may do another test to confirm impression.
Okay thanks. Please I didn't get your explanation of the epithelial cells. Please use lay man terms. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by freakingout(f): 7:53am On Jun 05, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

I did not see the mail.

The scan you did is essentially a normal scan. There is not enough evidence to suggest a PID.

The HVS/ECS M/C/S also has no evidence of a PID.

All the best
Okay. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:54am On Jun 05, 2015
lollyrekiat:
Ok.

Well, first things first.

Take another OCP. If you do not bleed afterwards, it could be Asherman Syndrome.

This is a condition whereby the lining of the womb is scarred, making bleeding impossible, or highly scanty. It is usually an aftermath of Endometritis, or infection/inflammation of the lining of the womb (endometrium).

It is a treatable condition, with varying outcomes though.

Are you seeing a gynaecologist?

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:09am On Jun 05, 2015
anitank:
Good morning doctor. Please I'd appreciate a prompt response

I had an open surgery to remove an ovarian cyst on the 24th of April. Recovery went well but I haven't had my period since then(my last period was on the 7th of April). I had a hormone profile test about a week and half ago and result showed my FSH and LH levels are very high (86.7 and 38.2 respectively). I have been having hot and cold flashes since then which is very unpleasant. I asked my doctor but he said I should repeat the test in 6-8weeks time. I am only 27 and my period has been regular until the surgery.

What exactly could be the problem and what should I do?

Again I had sex last night with my Fiance but the condom broke. I am not planning for a baby now but emergency contraceptives are banned in this country. Are there chances that I could still get pregnant with elevated FSH and absence of my period?
Hi,

Was it only the cyst that was removed (cystectomy) or the Ovary (Oophorectomy). Was the cyst affecting the ovary on one side or both ovaries.

The high LH and FSH suggests a lack of negative feedback from the ovaries. This implies that, either the ovaries are there but are not doing their functions (ovulation, production of reproductive hormones), or that they are not there at all.

Your symptoms of hot flushes also support this possibility.

What to do? Comfirm that your ovaries are intact using a transvaginal scan, and take if from there.

Your doctor's advice to watch it over the weeks is also in order, but I see no reason why you should not comfirm the presence of the ovaries via a scan.

Sex could result in pregnancy any time. No one, save God, can speak with 100% certainty what could happen...

Morning after pills are sold commonly in the pharmacies though.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anitank(f): 8:46am On Jun 05, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

All the best.

Thanks for replying
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:

Okay thanks. Please I didn't get your explanation of the epithelial cells. Please use lay man terms. Thanks

An epithelium is a membrane that covers every organ(in and out).It is regarded as a tissue.A unit of that epithelium is know as the epithelial cells.These cells are usually functional and may slur out on redundancy-this is normal.Other ocassion that may welcome warrant increase observation of these cells may be due to infection and even some medication.Whether it is functional,therapeutical or microbial,much letting of this cell does not implicate that you have an infection in the absence other parameters.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 05, 2015
anitank:

Thanks for replying

I forgot to mention I had an ultrasound scan same week as the hormone profile and it showed both ovaries are fine. I want to believe it's due to the surgery (not sure that why I'm seeking advice).

Yes emergency contraceptive pills are banned in all GCC countries but the regular ones are however available everywhere. I bought Diane35 and took one pill last night, then took additional 3 pills this morning because I know it's just a regular contraceptive and the normal dose wouldn't work.
My dilemma is, as much as I want my FSH and LH levels reduced, I hope they work to prevent conception this one time as I have no idea if I'm ovulating or not since I haven't gotten my period yet

Please advise a sister. And again is there anything I can do to get my hormone levels back to normal or should I just wait it out? Thanks again

Madam.

As advised by Omicron,please do transvaginal ultrasound or probably salpingoophoroscopy where both tubes and ovaries will be examined.You may see the need to discuss with your doctor cases of P.O.F,FSH INSENSITIVITY and other conditions revolving with androgen hormone synthesis from the ovaries that may be responsible for an upsurge in those stimulating hormones.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:54am On Jun 05, 2015
anitank:

Thanks for replying

I forgot to mention I had an ultrasound scan same week as the hormone profile and it showed both ovaries are fine. I want to believe it's due to the surgery (not sure that why I'm seeking advice).

Yes emergency contraceptive pills are banned in all GCC countries but the regular ones are however available everywhere. I bought Diane35 and took one pill last night, then took additional 3 pills this morning because I know it's just a regular contraceptive and the normal dose wouldn't work.
My dilemma is, as much as I want my FSH and LH levels reduced, I hope they work to prevent conception this one time as I have no idea if I'm ovulating or not since I haven't gotten my period yet

Please advise a sister. And again is there anything I can do to get my hormone levels back to normal or should I just wait it out? Thanks again
Ok, I see.

You should then wait and watch. Certainly, ovarian functions are absent at this time, going by your symptoms and the lab.

It is very unlikely you would get pregnant as it stands.

Active intervention to correct your hormone profile is also not indicated yet, as the surgery was barely two months ago plus the history that your cycle had been normal prior to surgery.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fosterkid: 10:00am On Jun 05, 2015
How una dey, please the problem im having is after i had a miscarriage my period pattern changed and i have being trying since then(like 8months ago). I spot for two days and then a day or two after i get heavy flow for two days, was not like this before the miscarriage, i do not even know when to count as cycle day 1
2ndly no slippery cervical mucus during ovulation, only whitish and watery and thick somethings, i did HVS before and it yielded no growth, the one i did recently was staph and have treated that, please what could be wrong and what test do i need to do?
Sorry for the long epistle
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:25am On Jun 05, 2015
fosterkid:
How una dey, please the problem im having is after i had a miscarriage my period pattern changed and i have being trying since then(like 8months ago). I spot for two days and then a day or two after i get heavy flow for two days, was not like this before the miscarriage, i do not even know when to count as cycle day 1
2ndly no slippery cervical mucus during ovulation, only whitish and watery and thick somethings, i did HVS before and it yielded no growth, the one i did recently was staph and have treated that, please what could be wrong and what test do i need to do?
Sorry for the long epistle
Irregular menstruation.

Many causes abound.

Pelvic ultrasound, Hormone profile will help in narrowing the causes.

Hope you are seeing a doctor, as medical advice does not substitute real clinical consultation.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fosterkid: 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2015
omicron:
Irregular menstruation.

Many causes abound.

Pelvic ultrasound, Hormone profile will help in narrowing the causes.

Hope you are seeing a doctor, as medical advice does not substitute real clinical consultation.

All the best.
tanks for the response my menstration is regular, its always between 27/28days, pelvic scan ddnt show any abnormality,im not seeing a gyna yet since its a year yet,im below 30 and i used to get pregnant easily, will try and do the hormonal profile, thanks for the response
My fear is if i still ovulate

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.