Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,812 members, 7,844,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). (21301 Views)

An Apology Letter From Men To Women / Ladies What Romantic Gestures Would You Appreciate From Men / What Do Women Really Want From Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by jidewin(m): 8:44am On Sep 17, 2012
But do you know how easy it is for some married women to easily push their husbands into polygamy. Many single ladies (mistresses-to-be) out there wish to have at least a taste of what they (wives) 'presumably enjoy or at most,a companion,someone who could make them happy. Polygamy isn't ideal,but I bet you most men find themselves in such a scenario in circumstances they never prepared for.
Life is sweet with women,yet could be very distasteful when they manifest their ugly side.
I would say,if your mistress(es) ends up having baby(ies) for you,take your kid(s) but let them be.
For me,father of many is safer than husband of many.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 17, 2012
Hazyz: mumu. . .Sarah brought Hagar for Abraham to marry her and they were married and had Ishmeal and later Isaac both are Abraham's blood and Jehovah never got angry or forbid the polygamous act his friend father Abraham did. . .you are ignorant of the bible. . .Isaac had one wife yet the marriage was damn WORST tongue

You people sha grin, I can only assume that the bolded is tongue in cheek.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 17, 2012
naijababe:

You people sha grin, I can only assume that the bolded is tongue in cheek.
No. Unless you're talking about Abraham's tongue in Hagar's cheek while rolling in ecstasy. Stepmothers would not do what Rebekah did to her to her firstborn son(Esau). And this is a wife that God provided himself:Gen 24:7-60. I repeat the problem with polygamy, or monogamy for that matter, is the practitioners and not the concept itself.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 17, 2012
fresh_dude: No. Unless you're talking about Abraham's tongue in Hagar's cheek while rolling in ecstasy. Stepmothers would not do what Rebekah did to her to her firstborn son(Esau). And this is a wife that God provided himself:Gen 24:7-60. I repeat the problem with polygamy, or monogamy for that matter, is the practitioners and not the concept itself.

Dude, calm down. I am on your side now, that Rebecca, Jacob/Esau paradox is a great example by the way.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by fstranger: 11:10am On Sep 17, 2012
fresh_dude: No. Unless you're talking about Abraham's tongue in Hagar's cheek while rolling in ecstasy. Stepmothers would not do what Rebekah did to her to her firstborn son(Esau). And this is a wife that God provided himself:Gen 24:7-60. I repeat the problem with polygamy, or monogamy for that matter, is the practitioners and not the concept itself.

Practitioners are people my friend!

Practitioners are always the problem, just like corporations smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by lastpage: 2:25pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^^^^Then we must separate the "concept/policy" (polygamy) from the practitioners (individuals involved) so that we can do a detail analysis of HOW the practitioners of TODAY get/are getting it wrong!

Like in your example, if a 'great company' winds-up, its not necessarily because people ain't buying its product no more, its principally because it was mismanaged by the 'Execs'/decision makers (the people)!

And l guess thats why in Human Resource Management, "the people" are considered the "greatest asset"...as well as the "greatest challenge" of any corporation.

Its no lie that Polygamy has worked, has been seen to work...........before.

Now, What changed?
Is it the men? Is it the women! shocked

That is where the 'koko' lies.

Lastpage!
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by F00028: 5:20pm On Sep 17, 2012
lastpage: ^^^^^Then we must separate the "concept/policy" (polygamy) from the practitioners (individuals involved) so that we can do a detail analysis of HOW the practitioners of TODAY get/are getting it wrong!

Like in your example, if a 'great company' winds-up, its not necessarily because people ain't buying its product no more, its principally because it was mismanaged by the 'Execs'/decision makers (the people)!

And l guess thats why in Human Resource Management, "the people" are considered the "greatest asset"...as well as the "greatest challenge" of any corporation.

Its no lie that Polygamy has worked, has been seen to work...........before.

Now, What changed?

That is where the 'koko' lies.

Lastpage!

its the unrealistic expectations!...for starters.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 17, 2012
lastpage:

Now, What changed?

I would presume the general culture coupled with decades of indoctrination and severe brainwashing.
Of course culture evolves, but in the direction inn which the people feel it's most appropriate. Unfortunately, monogamy, or the type of monogamy practised today, has seen to the disintegration of the family institution and its accompanying ills.
One is compelled to be wary of the word 'marriage'. #Just saying.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by lastpage: 6:12pm On Sep 18, 2012
Then what we need is not to "demonize polygamy" but to "refine and fine-tune it" to adapt to the requirements of our evolution as "a Culture".

......Or we are still waiting for the "white man" to openly admit that his "policy of monogamy" has failed "the family" and produced marital and family breakdown?
They have "pride" and would not openly admit that the "black man's" policy actually was superior to their own thinking!

But with so many "brainwashed" black people thinking the way l read here, we still have a long wait ahead.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 18, 2012
lastpage: Then what we need is not to "demonize polygamy" but to "refine and fine-tune it" to adapt to the requirements of our evolution as "a Culture".

......Or we are still waiting for the "white man" to openly admit that his "policy of monogamy" has failed "the family" and produced marital and family breakdown?
They have "pride" and would not openly admit that the "black man's" policy actually was superior to their own thinking!

But with so many "brainwashed" black people thinking the way l read here, we still have a long wait ahead.

Lastpage!

if polygamy was so good and so successful why would people want to go for something else? shocked
the policy of monogamy has failed the family? you serious?
has polygamy secured ANYTHING?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by lastpage: 1:00am On Sep 20, 2012
carefreewannabe:

if polygamy was so good and so successful why would people want to go for something else?
shocked
the policy of monogamy has failed the family? you serious?
has polygamy secured ANYTHING?
People do many things for many "stewpid reasons"!
History is replete with examples of people doing so many foolish things.....even just to belong (Group think!).

Maybe you would ask me: If KILLING PEOPLE was not so good, why do governments invest Billions every year (when many are homeless and hungry!) into developing more deadly weapons?[/b]

Doesn't that sound like you? wink wink

BTW: The only reason "the West" promoted monogamy (recall that the King of England was a polygamist as well!) of recent,[b] was to streamline the issue of INHERITANCE.
DOnt argue this first, do some research of your own!

In practice, they are still polygamist ....or how do you define a man/woman who has four spouses (serially or cheating behind his/her spouse), during his/her life time?

For starters, Polygamy it was that ensured that the rate of Divorce, was kept to a minimal.

Monogamy on the other hand, as can be seen in the West today, has ensured a never-before-seen level of "family breakdown", divorce and spousal cheating!

Not to mention the "children" of such broken families being responsible for 90% of crimes in our society!

It is "human nature" to be selfish or abhor "sharing" of anything, Cars and husbands inclusive!
But l predict that the day would come when after every other method including monogamy has failed us, we would have no choice than to revert back to what our fathers practiced (Polygamy).....and putting our selfish nature under control.

Just my "hypothesis", so dont go haywire over it. undecided wink

Lastpage!
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 20, 2012
lastpage:
People do many things for many "stewpid reasons"!
History is replete with examples of people doing so many foolish things.....even just to belong (Group think!).

Maybe you would ask me: If KILLING PEOPLE was not so good, why do governments invest Billions every year (when many are homeless and hungry!) into developing more deadly weapons?[/b]

Doesn't that sound like you? wink wink

BTW: The only reason "the West" promoted monogamy (recall that the King of England was a polygamist as well!) of recent,[b] was to streamline the issue of INHERITANCE.
DOnt argue this first, do some research of your own!

In practice, they are still polygamist ....or how do you define a man/woman who has four spouses (serially or cheating behind his/her spouse), during his/her life time?

For starters, Polygamy it was that ensured that the rate of Divorce, was kept to a minimal.

Monogamy on the other hand, as can be seen in the West today, has ensured a never-before-seen level of "family breakdown", divorce and spousal cheating!

Not to mention the "children" of such broken families being responsible for 90% of crimes in our society!

It is "human nature" to be selfish or abhor "sharing" of anything, Cars and husbands inclusive!
But l predict that the day would come when after every other method including monogamy has failed us, we would have no choice than to revert back to what our fathers practiced (Polygamy).....and putting our selfish nature under control.

Just my "hypothesis", so dont go haywire over it. undecided wink

Lastpage!

first of all: the streamline of inheritance argument is a very hollow one. do some more research.
second: which king are you referring to? England had many kings.
third: even men in polygamist marriages cheat. they continue having mistresses outside marriage, even when they have three wives.
fourth: just because some people divorce less in some countries does not mean that they have happoer marriages and that they children grow up in healthier environments.
fifth: there are enough criminals from the so called "respected" families.
last but not least: for me a husband who brings in another wife against the will of his first wife has already created a family breakdown. not only divorce can destroy a family. and many women if not most, provided they have the possibility, would rather live alone than share their husband.
polygamy, in many if not most cases, is a very humiliating and painful system for a woman.
only a woman who does not love her husband AS A WOMAN can put up with it. like it or not.
and no matter how many other reasons you mention in favour of polygamy you will never make women like it. apart from those who are only interested in the man's money.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 11:43am On Sep 20, 2012
carefreewannabe:

first of all: the streamline of inheritance argument is a very hollow one. do some more research.
second: which king are you referring to? England had many kings.
third: even men in polygamist marriages cheat. they continue having mistresses outside marriage, even when they have three wives.
fourth: just because some people divorce less in some countries does not mean that they have happoer marriages and that they children grow up in healthier environments.
fifth: there are enough criminals from the so called "respected" families.
last but not least: for me a husband who brings in another wife against the will of his first wife has already created a family breakdown. not only divorce can destroy a family. and many women if not most, provided they have the possibility, would rather live alone than share their husband.
polygamy, in many if not most cases, is a very humiliating and painful system for a woman.
only a woman who does not love her husband AS A WOMAN can put up with it. like it or not.

and no matter how many other reasons you mention in favour of polygamy you will never make women like it. apart from those who are only interested in the man's money.

And what about monogamy, in many if not most cases, is a very frustrating and painful system for a man?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sagamite:

And what about monogamy, in many if not most cases, is a very frustrating and painful system for a man?

they'll need to find themselves women who TRULY agree to polygamy.

don't think monogamy is only frustrating and painful to men. and believe me, it would be so convenient to women to have multiple partners, too. like it or not.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 8:49am On Sep 21, 2012
carefreewannabe:

they'll need to find themselves women who TRULY agree to polygamy.

don't think monogamy is only frustrating and painful to men. and believe me, it would be so convenient to women to have multiple partners, too. like it or not.

So why are you arguing against polygamy then?

Let the women find men who TRULY agree to monogamy.

If you are married to a man that wants to practice polygamy, you will have laws there to divorce him.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 21, 2012
Sagamite:

So why are you arguing against polygamy then?

Let the women find men who TRULY agree to monogamy.

If you are married to a man that wants to practice polygamy, you will have laws there to divorce him.

the man should know before marriage if he wants to practice polygamy or not.
it's not fair to change your mind in the course of the marriage.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
carefreewannabe:

Actually, for the most part, men's minds are made up before even entering the marriage and only bide ther time before they begin cheating.
Many others do change their minds midway though, after reality sets in and they do the 'unthinkable'.
There's that final group of course, MAYBE 1 or 2% of the male population, who will go to their graves having 'known' just one woman all their lives.
I sincerely hope every woman marries within that 1/2% though.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
fresh_dude: Actually, for the most part, men's minds are made up before even entering the marriage and only bide ther time before they begin cheating.
Many others do change their minds midway though, after reality sets in and they do the 'unthinkable'.
There's that final group of course, MAYBE 1 or 2% of the male population, who will go to their graves having 'known' just one woman all their lives.
I sincerely hope every woman marries within that 1/2% though.

I like your post but for me cheatng is different from polygamy. that is just my personal view
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
carefreewannabe:

I like your post but for me cheatng is different from polygamy. that is just my personal view
Sure they are different but not mutually exclusive. One would need to 'cheat' in order to having an additional wife, don't you think?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
fresh_dude: Sure they are different but not mutually exclusive. One would need to 'cheat' in order to having an additional wife, don't you think?

normally yes but not necessarily.
back in the day, parents would bring a new wife if the first wife was not able to conceive. might happen today as well. just a scenario. nothing is impossible.

apart from that, I believe that more than 1 or 2 % of all men are able to remain faithful to their wives. maybe this is just wishful thinking but probably the percentage number is higher. however, even though cheating is bad, it is not as bad as polygamy where a husband "spits" it onto his wife's face.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
carefreewannabe:

normally yes but not necessarily.
back in the day, parents would bring a new wife if the first wife was not able to conceive. might happen today as well. just a scenario. nothing is impossible.

apart from that, I believe that more than 1 or 2 % of all men are able to remain faithful to their wives. maybe this is just wishful thinking but probably the percentage number is higher. however, even though cheating is bad, it is not as bad as polygamy where a husband "spits" it onto his wife's face.
I knew you would tackle that point about cheating before mmarrying. And while true that it isn't necessarily so, you know no man will marry a second wife of all without the ''test''.
As per the 1 or 2%, really don't hold your breath, I could very well be wrong give or take. I'm sorry, but it is what it is.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
fresh_dude: I knew you would tackle that point about cheating before mmarrying. And while true that it isn't necessarily so, you know no man will marry a second wife of all without the ''test''.
As per the 1 or 2%, really don't hold your breath, I could very well be wrong give or take. I'm sorry, but it is what it is.

I didn't disagree with you completely. I said that normally yes!
You don't have to be sorry. I know it is what it is. It's a pity but what can we do? Probably nothing cry
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
carefreewannabe:
I didn't disagree with you completely. I said that normally yes!
Just teasing.
carefreewannabe:
You don't have to be sorry. I know it is what it is. It's a pity but what can we do? Probably nothing cry
Does make the prospect of marriage look weird, doesn't it?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2012
fresh_dude: Just teasing.
Does make the prospect of marriage look weird, doesn't it?

it does. it's a pity.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 9:47am On Sep 22, 2012
carefreewannabe:

What about if he does not know?

Who is it unfair to?

Under what rules is it unfair?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 22, 2012
just imagine your wife bringing in another husband against your will. can you sense any fairnes here?
it's not about rules. it's about how you treat other people. especially people who love you.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 11:05am On Sep 22, 2012
carefreewannabe: just imagine your wife bringing in another husband against your will. can you sense any fairnes here?
it's not about rules. it's about how you treat other people. especially people who love you.

Are you saying if my wife (or women in general) has the powers to do that without any serious consequences to her, she will likely not?

What do women understand about fairness?

What do women understand about how to treat other people?
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 22, 2012
Sagamite:

Are you saying if my wife (or women in general) has the powers to do that without any serious consequences to her, she will likely not?

What do women understand about fairness?

What do women understand about how to treat other people?

I don't know about your wife, so I cannot answer the question. But you're right, some women would bring in another husband if they could. not all.
I don't know what all women consider fair. personally speaking I think that it is fair to not do to others what you don't want to be done to you.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 11:14am On Sep 22, 2012
carefreewannabe:
I don't know about your wife, so I cannot answer the question. But you're right, some women would bring in another husband if they could. not all.

An overwhelming majority of women (as we know them) would, if they have the powers to do the same thing and it is to their benefit. Very negligible few would not.

Exploitation of divorce laws is a real-life example. Women taking what they know they are not entitled to.

Women don't understand fair. They only understand self-advantage.

carefreewannabe:
I don't know what all women consider fair. personally speaking I think that it is fair to not do to others what you don't want to be done to you.

I understand women in general and I can categorically tell you that they SURELY do not understand fair and do not treat others the way they want to be treated.

https://www.nairaland.com/962850/ladies-which-these-dating-evils

It is this lack of treating others the way they want to be treated that causes women to hate each other and we have that intense bitchiness we always witness.

If women have power, there is high chances they would abuse it.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 22, 2012
Sagamite:

An overwhelming majority of women (as we know them) would, if they have the powers to do the same thing and it is to their benefit. Very negligible few would not.

Exploitation of divorce laws is a real-life example. Women taking what they know they are not entitled to.

Women don't understand fair. They only understand self-advantage.

I understand women in general and I can categorically tell you that they SURELY do not understand fair and do not treat others the way they want to be treated.

https://www.nairaland.com/962850/ladies-which-these-dating-evils

It is this lack of treating others the way they want to be treated that causes women to hate each other and we have that intense bitchiness we always witness.

If women have power, there is high chances they would abuse it.

look, for me this is not about a fight of one gender against the other and I am wondering why you have such a negative view.
I have never said women are better than men. there are good and bad women as they are good and bad people. most human beings are both, good and bad. each day, we have to fight the bad side inside of us and do good. this is my firm belief. sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail. however, I didn't intend to share my moral views or act like a student of philosophy.

I just shared my view on polygamy. everyone has the freedom of speech. if you are in favour of polygamy, fine. I don't like this concept and I believe that very few people like to share their husbands and wives.

at the end of the day, there is no use in pointing one's fingers at others and in justifying bad actions and habits wih other people's bad behaviour.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Sagamite(m): 11:31am On Sep 22, 2012
carefreewannabe:

look, for me this is not about a fight of one gender against the other and I am wondering why you have such a negative view.
I have never said women are better than men. there are good and bad women as they are good and bad people. most human beings are both, good and bad. each day, we have to fight the bad side inside of us and do good. this is my firm belief. sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail. however, I didn't intend to share my moral views or act like a student of philosophy.

I just shared my view on polygamy. everyone has the freedom of speech. if you are in favour of polygamy, fine. I don't like this concept and I believe that very few people like to share their husbands and wives.

at the end of the day, there is no use in pointing one's fingers at others and in justifying bad actions and habits wih other people's bad behaviour.

To me it is not a fight about gender, it is fight about logic.

I don't have a negative view, I have a pragmatic and realistic view.

I am just putting forth my logic based on realities of life. And one of the realities of life is the misconception that most women are whiter than white and men are bad until proven innocent.

I am just enlightening people on realities, not attacking women. That said, one of the realities is that men and women are generally different.

In my view, at the end of the day, since there is no effective control to make people take good actions or have good habits, let everyone act in their best interest and then bargain it out with other people in the system as scenarios evolve.

And based on realities, I know most women always act in their best interest, I adjust my life to act the same way otherwise no one will act in my best interest.

Polygamy should be allowed, freedom to not participate in it should be allowed. That creates an equal and fair platform, which aids the bargaining process.
Re: What Is Wrong With Polygamy? ( Comments From Men Only Please). by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 22, 2012
Sagamite:

To me it is not a fight about gender, it is fight about logic.

I don't have a negative view, I have a pragmatic and realistic view.

I am just putting forth my logic based on realities of life. And one of the realities of life is the misconception that most women are whiter than white and men are bad until proven innocent.

I am just enlightening people on realities, not attacking women. That said, one of the realities is that men and women are generally different.

In my view, at the end of the day, since there is no effective control to make people take good actions or have good habits, let everyone act in their best interest and then bargain it out with other people in the system as scenarios evolve.

And based on realities, I know most women always act in their best interest, I adjust my life to act the same way otherwise no one will act in my best interest.

Polygamy should be allowed, freedom to not participate in it should be allowed. That creates an equal and fair platform.

now I understand your view better. I partly agree. but when it comes to marriage, for me, one should not only act in one own's interest but also in the interest of your spouse for whom you have taken responsibilty since you have become a family. if you go on acting selfish in marriage, it will do no good to the family. and this valid for both, men and women.
and as I am a great supporter of personal freedom, yes, let people choose their own life style. allow polygamy and allow it for everyone. but make sure, before you marry, what kind of marriage you TWO want to have. therefore, couples should sign a contract from the beginning leaving the option of polygamy open to those who agree to it and letting it out if they don't. that would be desireable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Will You Miss If Your Partner Ends Your Relationship? / The Massive Curves On This Slay Queen Has Caused Commotion Online [photo] / ₦360million, Would You Breakup With Bae For $1million, See Reactions(shots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.